Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020673 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13650 on: February 27, 2020, 04:11:44 PM »
I fixed my kitchen floor.

I'm renting so technically it shouldn't cost me anything anyway, but I pride myself on being a low-maintenance tenant.

Our kitchen was renovated when we moved in, and the strip between the kitchen tiles and the dining room floorboards was never stuck down properly. I reglued it myself.

Also vacuumed the vents on the back of the fridge to help it run efficiently.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13651 on: February 28, 2020, 10:33:22 AM »
Tax-Loss Harvested.  Will help save me taxes on $3000 of regular income this year or next, which works out to about $1000.  Technically, I'll eventually have to pay long-term capital gains taxes on that $3000 in basis, but I expect my LTCG rates to be zero when I'm withdrawing. 

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #13652 on: February 28, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »
I got notified that a prescription was eligible for refill at our insurance co's mail-order pharmacy.  I checked prices at goodRx and wellRx.  Saved $22 by being willing to pick up the prescription locally instead of getting it in the mail.  I only had to go about a mile out of my way to pick it up, so it wasn't much in the way of time or expense to do so.

(our plan ends mid-year and it doesn't look like we'll meet our deductible, so I was OK with getting the prescription outside our insurance plan).

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13653 on: February 28, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »
Took advantage of a “Too Good to Waste” box of vegetables at LIDL. I’d seen this concept in the UK, but not here yet. Basically they’re day old but still good vegetables sold for 30 cents a pound.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13654 on: February 29, 2020, 11:25:40 AM »
N95, surgical, and other face masks are sold out in our area, and the ones on Amazon are being sold at jacked up prices. So, I made our own out of fabric scraps we had lying around. Not quite as effective as N95, I know, but better than nothing. And very easy to sew up with a sewing machine once the fabrics were prepped.

The one shown below is the child size one, perfect for DD. It actually created quite a nice seal and was a little hard to breathe through, just like the N95 masks we have.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 11:29:06 AM by Freedomin5 »

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13655 on: March 01, 2020, 08:29:12 AM »
N95, surgical, and other face masks are sold out in our area, and the ones on Amazon are being sold at jacked up prices. So, I made our own out of fabric scraps we had lying around. Not quite as effective as N95, I know, but better than nothing. And very easy to sew up with a sewing machine once the fabrics were prepped.

The one shown below is the child size one, perfect for DD. It actually created quite a nice seal and was a little hard to breathe through, just like the N95 masks we have.

Those look great. Sewing is such a valuable and fun skill.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #13656 on: March 01, 2020, 11:45:04 AM »
I walked to the (San Diego) airport this morning, 'cause it was too early for the bus to be running. Stopped at the top of the hill to breathe, and the air was perfumed with night-blooming flowers. Finches were just starting to sing. Light breeze. Things I would have missed in a vehicle.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13657 on: March 01, 2020, 11:54:21 AM »
-Made banana muffins out of overripe bananas we had stored in the freezer
-Made broth out of chicken bones

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #13658 on: March 03, 2020, 03:47:15 PM »
I FINALLY called the cable company yesterday after they kept raising our internet cost by $5, then another $5, then another $5....

My savings from the phone call: $20/month!  That's a $240 savings this year for about 40 minutes of "work".

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13659 on: March 03, 2020, 03:48:54 PM »
I walked to the (San Diego) airport this morning, 'cause it was too early for the bus to be running. Stopped at the top of the hill to breathe, and the air was perfumed with night-blooming flowers. Finches were just starting to sing. Light breeze. Things I would have missed in a vehicle.
Busiest single-runway airport in the US. 3rd busiest in the world. And still not so busy as to demand that buses be running 24 hours.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13660 on: March 04, 2020, 07:03:50 AM »
Sold our home today, without investing in too much stash to stage it. Just some (fake) plants, some floor covers for low price, some blankets and sheep skins.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13661 on: March 04, 2020, 07:45:50 AM »
Sold our home today, without investing in too much stash to stage it. Just some (fake) plants, some floor covers for low price, some blankets and sheep skins.

Congrats!!

I did a really small thing today, I needed to take the train and managed to plan my appointment so that I could travel off peak and get a 40% discount.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13662 on: March 04, 2020, 09:15:54 AM »

I forgot to mention the whole FY story. We tried to sell in autumn first and hot an offer that was 60K euro lower than what we sold for now. And some unacceptable conditions. We chose to turn down that offer and try again in winter. Then we chose to advertise for a higher price.
Also today, we turned down the first offer, 50K euro higher than last time, because we thought the buyer might be willing to pay a little more. And indeed, half an hour later, we got a higher offer. Our FY attitude worked.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13663 on: March 04, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »
I sold, through a FB resale group, a Stitch Fix sweater that I had bought that just wasn't quite right. I didn't ask much for it, but it's something!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13664 on: March 04, 2020, 08:58:47 PM »
Couple of days' worth:

Ate my planned-leftover meal at work today, instead of going out. Did not ask co-worker to pick me up a snack while he was out, instead ate a boring snack I had packed.

Roasted the acorn squash and pumpkin I bought last fall for porch decor. In my quest for minimalist holiday decoration, I planned to eat them someday! Delicious roasted with cinnamon and cloves, even without butter and oil. Put half in the freezer for future muffins or soups. Ripped up the skins and froze them for dog treats. She loves pumpkin. Saved some of the seeds to plant in my tiny urban garden. I mixed them all together so it'll be a surprise when they come up.

Got a promo code for a free Barkbox subscription. One month is $29! So I signed up for a one-month subscription with the promo code and got three toys, a big treat, and two bags of fancy treats all for free! (I did go back and make sure that I wouldn't keep getting boxes and get charged.)  My dog isn't big on toys, so it's not worth it for me to have a subscription, but it was fun to get some free stuff in the mail.

Mended two clothing items with some embroidery floss and patches I already had in my craft stash.

Got gas with cash before a long drive tomorrow. The city I'm going to historically has higher prices than mine. I really dislike pumping gas anyway, and I almost talked myself out of doing a cash envelope for gas because it's so hard and takes so much longer to go inside and pay and then pump [insert facepunch here] Gathered up all the loose change in my bag to add to the bill I was paying with. Did not buy a donut while I was inside paying.

Talked myself out of buying a new blazer for tomorrow's conference. I'll just wear a sweater I already have. (One of my consumerist triggers is being nervous about my appearance in a new situation. In the past, I'd buy a new outfit or accessory to feel more confident. Telling myself instead that learning new things is more important than my outfit.) As long as I'm clean and appropriately dressed, I'll be fine.

Transferred all the FB Marketplace sales income to my savings account instead of letting it get absorbed into spending.

Haven't bought any books this year! Actually got a text from the local bookshop that they missed me and would give me $5 off my next purchase. Stood strong and went to the library instead :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #13665 on: March 05, 2020, 10:34:28 AM »
Broke down large slippery discount pork shoulder for multiple meals.
Bandaged own cut from butcher knife.
Made own sling to keep bandaged hand elevated.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #13666 on: March 06, 2020, 07:08:28 AM »
Went out to post-class drinks with other students...didn't buy a drink! Woot.

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13667 on: March 06, 2020, 08:39:49 AM »
Earlier this week, I was at a grocery store and they were clearing out some cheese, Artikaas Youngsters First Milk, normally priced at $13/lb, was listed for $1/lb.  So I went home with 3 lbs of cheese for $3 when it would have normally cost $39.

They must have been looking to offload all of their Artikaas brand, because yesterday they had gouda aged 18 months for $5/lb (normally $15/lb) and 36 months for $6/lb gouda (normally $16/lb).  I grab a pound of each, get to the checkout, and the 36 month cheese doesn't ring up. The cashier just tosses it in the bag at no charge! I ended up with 2 lbs of aged gouda for $5. (I asked the cashier if he was sure that's ok, and he said it was, so no argument from me.)

All together, 5 lbs of fancy cheese for $8 instead of $70. Now we just need to make sure we eat/share it, but I don't think that'll be a problem.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13668 on: March 06, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »
This all sounds like the most delicious of  victories—way to go!

All together, 5 lbs of fancy cheese for $8 instead of $70. Now we just need to make sure we eat/share it, but I don't think that'll be a problem.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13669 on: March 06, 2020, 09:57:42 PM »
Lots of cooking and using up of bits today!

*Made hamburger buns to use with freezer patties
*Made a pasta salad using up all sorts of 1/2 pieces of vegetables
*Made a Southwest Quinoa Salad with quinoa I made a few days ago
*Changed the water on green onions I keep regrowing in a jar
*Hung a load of laundry on the drying rack
*Sliced and served a melon I bought a week ago
*Made iced tea with old tea bags. Added juice from 4 lemons in the fridge
*Scraped out the last of a mayo jar into the pasta salad
*Scraped our the list of a honey jar into tomorrow nights crockpot spaghetti sauce
(at a kids sporting event all day tomorrow so premade this sauce to cook all day tomorrow)
*Trying to get to March 15 without grocery shopping

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13670 on: March 07, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »
Earlier this week, I was at a grocery store and they were clearing out some cheese, Artikaas Youngsters First Milk, normally priced at $13/lb, was listed for $1/lb.  So I went home with 3 lbs of cheese for $3 when it would have normally cost $39.

They must have been looking to offload all of their Artikaas brand, because yesterday they had gouda aged 18 months for $5/lb (normally $15/lb) and 36 months for $6/lb gouda (normally $16/lb).  I grab a pound of each, get to the checkout, and the 36 month cheese doesn't ring up. The cashier just tosses it in the bag at no charge! I ended up with 2 lbs of aged gouda for $5. (I asked the cashier if he was sure that's ok, and he said it was, so no argument from me.)

I need to find this store.

Hit the feed store for their periodic (quarterly?) 10% off store wide sale and stocked up on horse feed and supplements.  Also used my montly 10% member discount at the local food co-op for about $5 off.

Tended the vegetable seedlings I'm starting in the basement, which will hopefully turn into lots of valuable produce in a few months.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13671 on: March 08, 2020, 03:01:53 AM »
I sold a 20 year old litografic picture for a decent price. We have a lot more stuff for sale.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13672 on: March 08, 2020, 03:42:15 AM »
Line dried for the first time this year! Love how all my towels smell like fresh air again.

Had breakfast consisting of several items that had to be used up: boiled egg, apple, orange, glass of kefir.

Now I'm setting up the sewing machine to do some mending.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13673 on: March 09, 2020, 02:13:53 AM »
Busiest single-runway airport in the US. 3rd busiest in the world. And still not so busy as to demand that buses be running 24 hours.
I wonder if part of the reason is the "Southwest Effect". They generally don't fly between midnight and 6:00 am. They have a huge number of flights in and out of SAN.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13674 on: March 09, 2020, 06:47:44 AM »
This weekend, I went to a board game convention in Nashville. Registration was $25 for a day or $40 for the whole weekend. Alternatively, volunteers get free registration. I volunteered for a four hour shift checking games in and out of the library for people. Someone else sat at the table with me for the four hour shift, and we played games the whole time, which is the same thing I'd be doing if I weren't volunteering. Win.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #13675 on: March 09, 2020, 09:42:52 AM »
I cooked at home all weekend even though it was damned tempting to go out. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13676 on: March 09, 2020, 10:24:05 AM »
We had a friends teenager come over for dinner on Saturday. It took me a while to figure out dinner. We are really out of routine and generally eat a lot of “crunchy” food. Didn’t expect that teenager to be excited about a plate of buckwheat and steamed veggies. But I have been hungry for chili and after almost running to get a frozen lasagna realized I could just make that big pot of chili and serve it. That’s pretty acceptable American fare (even though it was vegetarian)! No shopping done, no extra food bought.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13677 on: March 09, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
I wonder if part of the reason is the "Southwest Effect". They generally don't fly between midnight and 6:00 am. They have a huge number of flights in and out of SAN.

Any departures between ~ those hours result in a penalty to the airline.  Typically departures fly over an expensive area of town so that's why the moratorium.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13678 on: March 09, 2020, 11:46:31 AM »
Two appointments cancelled tomorrow due to Corona = no transit costs for me!

Staunch Aim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13679 on: March 09, 2020, 12:39:00 PM »
Picked up thread in assorted colors, sewing needles and iron on denim patches.  Watched some youtube videos on how to mend clothes by hand and went to work.  Extended the life of 5 t-shirts, 3 pairs of jeans and some exercise/outdoors clothes.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13680 on: March 09, 2020, 02:18:36 PM »
Decided to book all of our travel for 2020 now, while our preferred personal airline is having both significant discounts, and offering free change fees. We change our travel a lot typically (due to work changes) & have had to fork over quite a bit in change fees before. I was hoping to instead achieve premier status to avoid the change fees, but instead, the arilines have already added that flexibility.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13681 on: March 09, 2020, 06:20:21 PM »
Picked up thread in assorted colors, sewing needles and iron on denim patches.  Watched some youtube videos on how to mend clothes by hand and went to work.  Extended the life of 5 t-shirts, 3 pairs of jeans and some exercise/outdoors clothes.

Impressive! I have all the tools, but the motivation is usually lacking. :) I fixed one item today and one yesterday. SO asked me to do a couple of more things, so I have a pile to work on.

Today I didn't eat out for lunch, even though I planned on eating out. I had a meeting pop up, so I ate some fruit from my stash and a granola bar I found in my desk. Came home and cooked a pantry/freezer meal that yielded two leftover lunches. I only have to figure out one more lunch for the week!

The cash envelopes are going well. I've been out with them several times and not spent anything. I used to do weekly envelopes, but this time I'm doing monthly. I enforces a feeling of 'make it last'. I'm following along on the Pantry decluttering thread, so it inspires me to eat from home and take my lunch.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13682 on: March 09, 2020, 06:44:04 PM »
Made 25 face masks from leftover scraps of cloth and $3 of white cotton cloth I found at the thrift store. We are keeping six for ourselves, and family members took another four. We will take the rest back to China. I’m sure someone over there will want them. The great thing is that they are washable and reusable, since we foresee needing to wear masks for at least the next several months.

I also made a giant pot of chili, which will be individually packed and frozen. Tomorrow, the plan is to make muffins to freeze. We are also running low on homemade frozen waffles.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13683 on: March 10, 2020, 10:21:32 AM »
The whole office is working from home for the forseeable future, so no commuting costs, no office clothes to wear (and wash) and no need to prepare special food to take to work as we don't have a fridge or microwave.

All in all this may save me €10/day. I will spend a bit more on heating, water, coffee and electricity but not €10, and I can just eat leftovers for lunch. Plus I can do something useful during my lunch break now!

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #13684 on: March 10, 2020, 06:15:39 PM »
Today I went back to the grocery store to get a refund of a few dollars, because they overcharged me on beets yesterday.

Tomorrow I'm unexpectedly going to save by not driving to work and back, or going anywhere else, because the roads are impassibly muddy in all directions and I'm stuck at home. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13685 on: March 17, 2020, 03:09:51 AM »
Because of Corona, we are staying at home, going nowhere. Otherwise we would have driven tomour mountain cabin, 5,5 hours driving to get there and a lotbof toll roads. So saving a lot on that.
I have also been baking my own bread for weeks, from flour that was on sale. That makes bread for about 1/3 of the price I normally pay for healthy, cheap bread.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13686 on: March 17, 2020, 06:59:13 AM »
Repaired a seam on a sweater.

Working from home since Thursday, so no car expenses.  I expect this to continue to the end of the month at least.

I'll be using this opportunity to cook from supplies on hand and avoid shopping as much as possible.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13687 on: March 17, 2020, 02:16:50 PM »
Have been trying to take my lunch at least four days a week (I work in a hospital...no slowing down for now). I brought enough of my spaghetti squash with peppers, onions and tomatoes to use for the next two days, along with the cottage cheese that I already had stashed in the break-room fridge. Coffee and tea are free in our cafeteria, at least for the moment.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #13688 on: March 17, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
Have been trying to take my lunch at least four days a week (I work in a hospital...no slowing down for now). I brought enough of my spaghetti squash with peppers, onions and tomatoes to use for the next two days, along with the cottage cheese that I already had stashed in the break-room fridge. Coffee and tea are free in our cafeteria, at least for the moment.

Hmmm, cottage cheese. I may need to put that on the grocery list.

Stay strong, ZsaZsa!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13689 on: March 17, 2020, 03:42:27 PM »

I put in an order to have groceries delivered today (trying to spare myself some of the insanity this week) and cottage cheese was one of the six items I ordered that weren't out of stock. (Actually, more like four items, since two of the six items were duplicates and two were red and orange bell peppers...)

I guess I saved money this week by not being able to buy any (checks list) tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, chocolate, chicken sausages, onions, pepperoni, peas, corn, broccoli, eggs, or onions.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #13690 on: March 17, 2020, 03:57:13 PM »

I put in an order to have groceries delivered today (trying to spare myself some of the insanity this week) and cottage cheese was one of the six items I ordered that weren't out of stock. (Actually, more like four items, since two of the six items were duplicates and two were red and orange bell peppers...)

I guess I saved money this week by not being able to buy any (checks list) tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, chocolate, chicken sausages, onions, pepperoni, peas, corn, broccoli, eggs, or onions.

Ugh. DH likes to eat the same breakfast and lunch every day. Mostly nice, fresh foods. It stresses him a bit if he can't have them. Eggs and onions are an integral part of his breakfast.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #13691 on: March 17, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »
I did two things today that really saved me some major money...

Switched electric companies. I am kind of embarrassed at how long I waffled over this, but FINALLY dropped my jerky hiked-my-rate-to-the-heavens-once-the-contract-ran-out company (and that only wanted to give me a whole 1-2˘/kw discount for my loyalty when I checked). Found a 100% solar energy company, EXCELLENT ratings, and I'm going to save at minimum 40% (and it's going to likely be closer to 50+ really) and locked the rate in for 3 years, AND if I do end up hating them or wanting to switch for an even cheaper rate if I found one in a year or two, they have a minimal cancellation fee of $49 anyway. 100% solar is fantastic and that it is so much cheaper than the one that used primarily fossil fuels just makes it that much sweeter.

Finally got sod and put it down in the front yard. It got waterlogged about 3 years ago during epic flood/rainstorms and started dying back and then it was almost destroyed when the weeds took over and the weed killer sort of took out the grass and weeds (oops). We did about 400 sq ft today, and going to wait and see if our non-professional prep work was enough and if the sod does do okay, we'll finish the rest of the yard (about the same area) in 2 weeks if so. Bought direct from a family-owned grass business (and they threw in extra pieces) cheaper than at the big box store, broke up the soil, amended/prepped it and installed the sod ourselves. Good exercise, saved at least a few hundred and hopefully the yard is going to look MUCH better come summer/fall.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #13692 on: March 17, 2020, 06:27:54 PM »
Working from home since my school has been closed because of coronavirus.  It is the schools choice, not the Governments.  So I haven't used any money commuting (either fuel or public transport) in the last couple of days, and won't again for at least 4 weeks until after the holidays.

Also, we are being given an internet allowance.  Hopefully it will be more than I use, as I don't normally use all of my internet and it banks.  Currently over 100 Gb in data available for 7 more days of tele-classes.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13693 on: March 18, 2020, 05:09:15 AM »
I needed to get outdoors for a bit...spring is coming whether we are ready or not! Picked some new dandelion leaves and wild onions to make a salad for supper.
Mr. Z called his sister and told her I was feeding him weeds.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13694 on: March 19, 2020, 12:55:39 PM »
Because of the probable toilet paper crisis, I thought about how much toilet paper I normally use. Since we FIREd, I am using a more than I used to at home.
Then I read on a Dutch website that you could use a wet washing cloth (washandje) to clean yourself. I have started doing this, only after a number 1, and it works well. I clean the cloth afterwards and use it during the whole day. Saved a ton of paper and also money.

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #13695 on: March 20, 2020, 03:52:47 AM »
Because of the probable toilet paper crisis, I thought about how much toilet paper I normally use. Since we FIREd, I am using a more than I used to at home.
Then I read on a Dutch website that you could use a wet washing cloth (washandje) to clean yourself. I have started doing this, only after a number 1, and it works well. I clean the cloth afterwards and use it during the whole day. Saved a ton of paper and also money.

My grandmother used to do this!  As a child I always wondered why she didn't just use toilet paper.  Now I am realizing, it is because she lived through the Depression. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13696 on: March 20, 2020, 06:51:42 AM »

We used cloth diapers when my son was a baby.  Including cloth wipes.  We even had a (not exactly Mustachian) portable washing machine dedicated strictly to diaper laundry.  We may be busting that setup back out temporarily (I don't think I could convince my husband to permanently use this).

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13697 on: March 20, 2020, 07:16:09 AM »
Since I am still expected to show up to work...had overnight oatmeal for breakfast, and brought supper left-overs of Mexican rice with corn for lunch today.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13698 on: March 20, 2020, 11:40:37 AM »
Baked a box of chocolate chip cookies and a dozen morning glory muffins for our flight back to China tomorrow. Also packed a reusable water bottle for each of us. That will save us from having to buy overpriced airport food and bottled water.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13699 on: March 21, 2020, 09:54:40 PM »
Day 1 of self-quarantine, so no spend. Our city has shut down all gathering places, so most of my days will be no spend in the foreseeable future. I'm well-stocked on groceries, craft supplies, pet food, household cleaners, etc. It's actually a nice feeling to know I won't need to spend money on anything--mostly because I won't have an opportunity to, but still.