Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020647 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12050 on: October 26, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »
The pump on my conditioner and DH's lotion were no longer bringing up product. (DHs for awhile, he's been working to get it out manually to not waste it.) Instead of rinsing them and recycling the bottles I turned them over in Tupperware. I got a full half cup of conditioner and almost a quarter cup of lotion

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #12051 on: October 26, 2018, 09:37:17 PM »
I’ve been having trouble resisting an afternoon cup of coffee near work lately. There’s nothing like it when I am struggling through the post lunch slump. I brought tea to make at work, and it just wasn’t the same.

Well, this week I decided to try out instant coffee. BINGO. It’s not as good as the local coffee shop, but it’s good enough that laziness wins and I’m just glad I don’t have to leave the building!! Time and money saved.

It was an interesting lesson in willpower. Just telling myself no wasn’t working. I had to find the right alternative that will actually be sustainable for me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:45:18 AM by zygote »

foobaz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12052 on: October 26, 2018, 09:40:55 PM »
I skipped lunch because I was in a meeting and forgot about eating. One less meal eating out and it helps me lose weight.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12053 on: October 27, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
I spent my day off yesterday cooking.  I made seven dinners and a couple of days worth of work lunches in the freezer plus have two meals ready for the crockpot for today and tomorrow.  We've got a busy weekend and knowing that dinner will be ready when we get home will ward off the urge to  just hit the drive through on the way home.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12054 on: October 27, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »
I looked for recipes to use up my squash and found one for some soup I could make with only ingredients I had on hand. It turned out good and only cost about 75¢ per serving.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12055 on: October 27, 2018, 11:14:54 AM »
I sold some winter gloves I wasn't using and made $60!

I resisted going to the thrift store to shop for clothes I didn't really need.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12056 on: October 28, 2018, 01:38:50 AM »
My wife turned older bananas into banana bread. Yum.

Walked to the shops today.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12057 on: October 28, 2018, 02:13:10 AM »
My wife turned older bananas into banana bread. Yum.

That's exactly what I'm going to do now. Another benefit is that it's a little bit cold indoors this morning, but not cold enough to turn on the heating. The oven will warm up the house.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12058 on: October 28, 2018, 02:56:49 AM »
I'm cooking Indian style dark chick peas in the pressure cooker that a foreign friend gave me when she moved back to her home country.  We're also eating our way through a huge bag of delicious apples that we got for free from a friend in the countryside.  Will probably make apple crumble latter on with the kids.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12059 on: October 28, 2018, 12:47:13 PM »
Did about 3 hours worth of food prep today: 3 dozen muffins (freezer), freezer burritos, waffles, guacamole, made a pizza for my son to take in his lunch. . . all of this will help us keep food/snacks/eating out costs down

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12060 on: October 30, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »
Saved $22 on parking by biking 8 miles (and back) to a checkup.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12061 on: October 30, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »
I wear a weird bra size. I tried a third love bra since I know several people who LOVE theirs. Sadly, my fit didn't quite live up to the hype. So I returned it, even though I'm crazy busy selling a house. On a whim I tried a nordstrom's rack since they sometimes have weird bra sizes. Lo and behold, I found two decent fitting bras for $19 each. Compared to an $80 bra? I'll take it. Are they perfect? Still no, but my current bras are disintegrating, so it's becoming urgent. I'll take less than $40 for two bras that fit the same as the $80 bra.

Another cost savings on this:
We're out of ink for our printer, and don't want to replace it. We'll replace it after moving. It was free, and we get literally fewer than 100 pages off an ink cartridge. AWFUL. But I needed the label printed out. Had the thought and asked a friend who was coming over to print it for me! Saved me a trip and saved me buying an ink refill for a printer I'm going to replace after I move in a couple weeks.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12062 on: October 30, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »
I feel you B_J! I just ordered a bikini (buying bikinis is worse than bras as people seem to think you don't need support while swimming?!) and I'm excited to try it but also prepared for disappointment..

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12063 on: October 30, 2018, 02:07:26 PM »
I feel you B_J! I just ordered a bikini (buying bikinis is worse than bras as people seem to think you don't need support while swimming?!) and I'm excited to try it but also prepared for disappointment..

Oh noooo. You just made me remember that my 9 year old, hand me down bikini top bit the dust when I was in Hawaii last year. *Cue sobs* I'm gonna have to replace that at some point, too.

Good luck with your suit fitting!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12064 on: October 30, 2018, 02:38:41 PM »
Did about 3 hours worth of food prep today: 3 dozen muffins (freezer), freezer burritos, waffles, guacamole, made a pizza for my son to take in his lunch. . . all of this will help us keep food/snacks/eating out costs down

Can you post your recipe for freezer burritos. I am Mexican food ignorant. Thanks!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12065 on: October 30, 2018, 06:54:46 PM »
@Roadrunner53 - sure. It was my first time making this recipe, but I liked them. https://www.budgetbytes.com/make-ahead-bean-and-cheese-burritos/

mysunnyday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12066 on: October 30, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »
I cooked a chicken in the instantpot for dinner and saved the chicken stock for rice later this week.

Convinced DD to wear fun Halloween socks (that we already have) to school tomorrow rather than buying a new Halloween shirt this year.

And I set up my MMM profile and joined the forum!

Happy to be here for all of this awesome motivation.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12067 on: October 30, 2018, 09:41:29 PM »
I cooked a chicken in the instantpot for dinner and saved the chicken stock for rice later this week.

Convinced DD to wear fun Halloween socks (that we already have) to school tomorrow rather than buying a new Halloween shirt this year.

And I set up my MMM profile and joined the forum!

Happy to be here for all of this awesome motivation.

Welcome to the forum!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12068 on: October 31, 2018, 02:06:34 AM »
Bought a pair of shorts on eBay. $15.50 out of pocket for $35 shorts, NWT.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12069 on: October 31, 2018, 04:20:50 AM »
I extended the life of some expensive dress shoes with some insoles from CVS.  After work I stopped at Safeway and got snacks to take to work plus food for my dinner vice going to a restaurant.  Restaurants are my biggest downfall.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12070 on: October 31, 2018, 05:25:12 AM »
I walked out of the thrift store without buying anything.  I had a beautiful coat in my hand, standing in the checkout line, and decided against it.  Yes, it was in great shape.  Yes, it was only $4.  Yes, that same coat would cost me $60 on Poshmark.  But it was a bit too small and I really don't ever go anywhere that would require a dressier coat.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12071 on: October 31, 2018, 05:46:06 AM »
@Roadrunner53 - sure. It was my first time making this recipe, but I liked them. https://www.budgetbytes.com/make-ahead-bean-and-cheese-burritos/

Thanks, what a great recipe! Lots of step by step instructions! Shopping for the ingredients today!

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #12072 on: October 31, 2018, 10:22:53 AM »
Carried home two truckloads of firewood. A huge tree went down at my dad's, and I have spent all summer and fall gradually cutting it up and splitting it. No powered splitter, so all with axe and wedges, a lot of work. But it will be enough for two years of fireplace.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12073 on: October 31, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
Carried home two truckloads of firewood. A huge tree went down at my dad's, and I have spent all summer and fall gradually cutting it up and splitting it. No powered splitter, so all with axe and wedges, a lot of work. But it will be enough for two years of fireplace.

Timed correctly, a fallen tree can warm you three times.  First when you chop it, again when you split it, and finally when you burn it. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12074 on: November 01, 2018, 06:38:14 AM »
Took my scripts to the cheapest pharmacy of the three near my house. Saved around $50!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12075 on: November 01, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »
I wanted to read a book that was recommended on this forum. I was on Amazon to order it and then thought: doesn't my library have it? Yes, they have it. I just need to pick it up this afternoon.

I still don't really like the standard library concept of having to return a book in 3 weeks. I do have an app where I can prolong the time online, as long as no one else has reserved the same book. But it still gives an element of stress when reading, that I wouldn't have with a book that I own.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12076 on: November 01, 2018, 08:19:00 AM »
I wanted to read a book that was recommended on this forum. I was on Amazon to order it and then thought: doesn't my library have it? Yes, they have it. I just need to pick it up this afternoon.

I still don't really like the standard library concept of having to return a book in 3 weeks. I do have an app where I can prolong the time online, as long as no one else has reserved the same book. But it still gives an element of stress when reading, that I wouldn't have with a book that I own.

You can buy some pretty cheap used books on a website called addall.com

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12077 on: November 01, 2018, 08:43:08 PM »
I'm on a clear out the freezer/pantry kick. Tonight's dinner (chicken vegetable chowder) used up: a couple of chicken breasts bought on a deep sale and frozen, some dry white beans that have been in my cupboard since last winter, the last of a slightly wilted bunch of celery that would otherwise have been tossed, a half onion, several scallions before they wilted, the last of the potatoes, the last carton of chicken broth, and the last of a bulk pack of canned tomatoes from Costco. We'll get at least three more soup meals from this batch.

Now I can go to the produce market with a clear conscience.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12078 on: November 02, 2018, 06:13:44 AM »
I don't know if this really counts, but I sat down and did the math and realized that it is actually not any cheaper to make flavored coffee creamer, powdered or liquid, than it is to buy the store brand.  I was going to whip up a batch of powdered creamer to keep at work (to drink with the awesome, but expensive, coffee my team lead brings in....sorry guys, when it's my turn to bring coffee you're all getting the Aldi brand).  But dry milk alone is about twice the price of creamer per ounce.  I guess you could argue that dry milk is actually dairy while powdered creamer tends to be non-dairy, but I'm okay with that.  Now, that yummy vanilla liquid creamer that my husband brought home the other day was fantastic.  I might have to figure out how to make something like that even if it just means throwing some vanilla essence (I think that's what mom and dad brought back from Mexico the last time they were there) in some half and half. 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12079 on: November 02, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »

I use to feel the same, that the library was more stressful than buying a book.  But I sort of forced myself to use the library whenever possible.  What I've found is that over time my reading has just become more focused.  Instead of having 2 or 3 books I'm casually reading at the same time, or worse, a stack of unread books that I'm planning to "get to", I now check out a book, focus on reading it, and then return the book.  And repeat. 

My library is cool in that they let you create a saved list of titles you'd like to read, then you can just reference whatever is next on the list. 

Of course, for every rule there are exceptions!  Right now I'm reading Infinite Jest, and it's 1100 pages.  And it's pretty dense writing, so no way I could finish it in the time allotted by the library.  So that book I bought.  It's the first book I've bought in over a year.  The nice thing is that my newly acquired habit of reading one book to the end and not getting distracted has kicked in and I've not been distracted by other books in the 3 months it's taken me so far to get through most of the book.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #12080 on: November 02, 2018, 10:00:32 AM »
Have been using the second-hand bread machine several times per week. It’s more than paid for itself.

Hubby lost his job about a month ago, so there have been no cycle-commuting or Uber costs. He loves to cook, so he’s been making amazing meals for us using what we have. We’ve been making grocery lists, meal plans, and sticking to them. Much less eating out. Bonus: Fuel perks for me.

My 12-year-old keep growing like a weed and needed ANOTHER pair of boots for Scout camping. Instead of paying $70+ at a retail place, I found a hardly used pair of name-brand boots for $30 on Poshmark. They fit perfectly. Bonus: Discovered his old boots fit me.

Also used Poshmark to score my son a name-brand, NWT dress shirt and tie combo for his upcoming band concert.

Sent the kids down the street with a wagon to gather the piles of leaves on the sidewalk. (Our trees don’t drop many leaves.) Used them to cover over a large garden bed, and worked more into the soil in two of the raised garden beds. Free compost!

Using ingredients I bought last year, mixed up a new large batch of instant oatmeal mix. Kids can scoop what they want, add water, and microwave.

Work provided lunch and afternoon snacks yesterday.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12081 on: November 02, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »
Does your library have eBooks?  I can check out up to 5 books at a time and they will automatically return after two weeks.  The cool part is though that I've found that on my old non-Fire Kindle, that if I download the books and then cut the wifi off then the books will stay available until the next time the Kindle connects to the wifi.  I assume it would work the same way on a Fire, but I tend to use it for more general purposes and for the Prime reading, which doesn't have a time limit. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12082 on: November 02, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »
Leftovers all week for meals, no eating out. I did have a semi savings/semi spending one. I don't have to be on call over part of the holidays, & didn't know that when I booked our flights to Portland 10 months or so ago. We'd like the extra 2.5 days to spend, and changing the flights was $500. That said, I made our return flight home a little bit later, and ended up getting a credit as well as some miles back, which reduced the cost quite a bit (more like $150 vs $500).

I also helped my dad book four flights using his vast amount of frequent flier miles. And, he had no idea that he had some credits to use up, so I used those for his flights as well. Not savings for me, but definitely for my parents.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12083 on: November 02, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »

Thanks, what a great recipe! Lots of step by step instructions! Shopping for the ingredients today!

Made the burrito's today! made a double batch. Froze 14 and will have 4 for supper tonight. The only thing that was difficult was rolling up the burrito's! After we were all done I went to youtube and found a nice demo on rolling them up! OMG! I should have looked there first! NEXT TIME will review the youtube vid to see how to roll them up! Looking forward to eating them tonight. I put a measuring cup into each ingredient and measuring spoon into the taco sauce so it was a no brainer to fill them, no guess work! I am planning to cook them in my air fryer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12084 on: November 02, 2018, 04:44:36 PM »
@Roadrunner53 - I worked in a Mexican restaurant as a teen, and had it mastered. But, we use smaller shells, which makes the rolling quite challenging! And, YouTube is often the answer :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12085 on: November 02, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »
Used a $10 off coupon at the feed store.
Trimmed one  of the horse's feet myself, as always.  Admired how they look better than those done by professionals.
Planned my driving for the day to minimize time and mileage.
Ate leftovers for lunch.
DH has been opining that he wants pizza.  Was thinking of going to our favorite pizza joint this weekend.  Instead bought toppings and will be starting some no-knead pizza dough shortly.  Probably spending $12, including the fancy-pants sopresseta vs. gas + $30ish, and we get to top our pizzas however we like.
Reviewed my earning's statement, first one since I bumped my TSP contributions back up.  Decided it's doable to leave it there at least through end of the year and/or end of market slump, whichever comes later.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12086 on: November 02, 2018, 11:03:45 PM »
Line-dried three loads of washing today and it's only 4pm.

Summer has finally arrived in Sydney.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12087 on: November 03, 2018, 08:33:27 AM »
I made a full gallon of yogurt!  Winco is the only store that carries my favorite stuff (Zoi is the best!).  I go every six weeks or so and stock up.  I was on the last bit of the last container, didn't want to go all the way to Winco, so I picked up some milk while I was out, and made yogurt in my instant pot.  So easy and really good!  Also cheaper.

Right now I'm straining it two cups at time in a tiny sieve with a coffee filter.  I'm thinking about making whey cheese with all of the whey I'm straining out of it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12088 on: November 03, 2018, 08:39:07 AM »
Welcome back @horsepoor ! Haven't seen you in a while =)

Our savings:
-We're moving ourselves. With how much Husband has been working, I was increasingly concerned I'd have to hire movers. Luckily, inspection etc all happened very quickly, so we can squeeze it in this weekend. Means I'm moving a couple weeks earlier than I thought, but saving at least $1k to do it!
-Had used our own inspection from 2 yrs ago to guide some repairs before sale. As a result, all we have to do from inspection was pay $99 for HVAC cleaning/servicing.
-Got meat from our hunting party. Didn't get anything ourselves this year, but the party always shares. ~$150 worth of tags, gas, etc, for a good $350+ meat, if you assume 1:1 displacement of beef.
-Waited to start our parking cost at the apartment building until we moved up full time, so that'll start monday. Saved us a couple weeks of paying it. (Got the apartment early, but had 4 weeks free on it, and were able to defer the possession by 10 days. Means we're only overlapping paying with the house before closing by like 6 days!)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12089 on: November 03, 2018, 01:55:02 PM »
Picked up a cargobike-load of wood chips from a new neighbor who had a huge load delivered and can't use them all herself.

Now off to check the leavings at the pumpkin patch, wish me spoiled hay! {Update: Two straw bales hauled home so far, plus a couple huge blue pumpkins and some decorative devil's claw guys.}
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:56:41 PM by jengod »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12090 on: November 03, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »
Welcome back @horsepoor ! Haven't seen you in a while =)

Thank you, have been very busy with work and horse things.  It's nice  to be remembered here. :)

So far today:
Just transplanted about 20 perennials in the front yard.

Slowly repairing gopher damage and digging out grass that has encroached from it's designated area, rather than hiring the work out.

Spent some time online this morning looking at mini-sheds to hold garden tools.  Concluded that I could build something much cheaper and it will be customized exactly for my space and needs, with the bonus of putting a dent in the pile of scrap wood.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12091 on: November 03, 2018, 08:32:52 PM »
-I fast in the morning (& skip breakfast) & planned ahead today enough to notice that I would go an extra 3 hours without food unless I packed a lunch for soccer. Reduced risk of splurge eating out, and packed a sandwich, peach & pretzel chips & avoided eating out.
-Husband & I agreed today to sell our car! That will net us about $60k in immediate cost, plus savings on insurance & car tabs. (Facepunch worthy, as we have an extra & nice car to start with). But, progress!
-I made pizza for the fam before I left for an event, ensuring they wouldn't eat out
-I didn't want to go anywhere tonight, but bid on a pedicure/social event at the school auction 9 months ago. I could use a pedicure, and I've already paid, so went & had a free pedicure + dinner/drinks. It was nice, even though I don't really know anyone & socially dislike situations like that.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12092 on: November 04, 2018, 02:12:24 AM »
Bought fruit online and had it delivered to our house. Got free delivery and 15% discount (versus paying full price by walking to the store)

Made homemade pizza for dinner. Made three extra pizzas to freeze.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12093 on: November 04, 2018, 05:33:39 PM »
I left a review on a clothing website for a couple of plain v-neck t-shirts I bought in April - the necklines stretched out in no time.

The company asked me to bring them back to the shop, and replaced them on the spot.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12094 on: November 05, 2018, 06:43:28 AM »
DH fixed the bathtub faucet that was leaking an almost constant trickle of hot water (I'm counting this as a win for me because it took a bit of nagging reminding him to get it done.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12095 on: November 05, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »
Saved $40 by buying Container Store “stainless steel wall pockets” used at the thrift store instead of new.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12096 on: November 05, 2018, 10:13:08 PM »
Two flat tyres in the last few days.  One on the motorbike and one on the car.  I fixed them both with a tyre repair kit I keep on the motorbike, so almost no cost.  I will need to buy some more rubber glue, but that is a very small cost compared to getting them done by someone else.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12097 on: November 06, 2018, 04:43:11 AM »
Two flat tyres in the last few days.  One on the motorbike and one on the car.  I fixed them both with a tyre repair kit I keep on the motorbike, so almost no cost.  I will need to buy some more rubber glue, but that is a very small cost compared to getting them done by someone else.

I have some motorbiking co-workers who have mentioned such a repair kit before. I should tell DH about it. Maybe we could use it for our car as well.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12098 on: November 06, 2018, 05:49:13 AM »

I have some motorbiking co-workers who have mentioned such a repair kit before. I should tell DH about it. Maybe we could use it for our car as well.

It's a lifesaver.  I've had 7 or 8 flats since March and DH has been able to save all my tires.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12099 on: November 06, 2018, 06:38:54 AM »
I really felt like taking the train to work today, but I didn't cave in & went biking instead. Saved myself €7,50 :)

Oh, and I didn't buy a magazine when I was grocery shopping. And I bought all the things that we needed at a discount price. Saved another 14 euro's on those things as well.