Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020997 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8050 on: January 19, 2017, 12:40:27 PM »
A verrrry smallthing:

About a year ago, I started making a pot of tea rather than individual mugs of tea to get maximum value out of my loose tea (thanks to recommendations here)

The pot lasts for hours but each time I pour a new cup, I have to heat it up in the microwave.

Yesterday, I wondered if I could just wrap the teapot in a tea towel to keep the heat in and it works!

Although the savings are negligible, I think the process of continually reasssessing and scaling down have value.  Reminds me of Amy Dacyczyn - she's been on my mind lately from the beatles case study (sigh, sorry to bring that up!)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8051 on: January 19, 2017, 04:19:29 PM »
Husband is travelling for the next two weeks.

He's extending a work trip to catch up with friends overseas, so we're on the hook for a couple of nights' accommodation.

He picked a hotel, sent it to me, and I set about finding the best deal.

Ended up getting a discount and earning frequent flyer points for the stay.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8052 on: January 19, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
I haven't bragged on my partner recently, so be prepared for some sap. He often brings me an apple for a gift. So sweet. The other night he brought me a red pepper. "They were on sale today."  Ah. What a man!

MarioMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8053 on: January 19, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
My wife and I went to Aldi's for the first time.

Hopefully this ends up being a big thing.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8054 on: January 20, 2017, 01:28:14 AM »
Bought a slightly cheaper can of cat food to try on the cat, and she liked it!

My cat has gotten to the point where she only eats the expensive Fancy Feast. When she doesn't like something she will not eat all day. Over the years I have tried everything else in the grocery store.

I thought that cats do not change their preference, but I guess they do. I tried a can of the second tier Fancy Feast, which was also a mushier texture than what she has been eating. Would not touch it the last time I tried it around 2 years ago. Today she ate the whole thing.

Every week there will be a new experiment can to see how low we can go now.

I think your cat is purposefully and maliciously gaslighting you. It likes the food just as much as it did last time - but it can't let you know that, because if it can cause you to doubt your own memory and judgment, you will finally be fully under it's control.

I like the response: experiment with the poor critter. Keep it on its toes. Don't let it have the upper hand.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8055 on: January 20, 2017, 07:10:02 AM »
I like the response: experiment with the poor critter. Keep it on its toes. Don't let it have the upper hand.

Too late. I am only one more cat away from becoming a retirement cliche. Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8056 on: January 20, 2017, 10:23:24 AM »
Revived about 100 markers that dried up when somebody left the caps off (kids suck!)

Used water in a cup for water-based ink, rubbing alcohol in a paper cup for permanent markers.

http://www.wikihow.com/Revive-Dried-Out-Markers

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8057 on: January 20, 2017, 10:44:18 AM »
Wanted a drink from the convenience store in my work building, but chose free work coffee and water instead.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8058 on: January 20, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
Normally I end the work week by going to a local watering hole with some friends each friday since more than a decade.  This was the first time in a long time when I skipped it without "legitimate cause" - I cooked at home instead.  Feels a bit antisocial... but probably good for both wallet and health.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #8059 on: January 20, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
Yesterday, I wondered if I could just wrap the teapot in a tea towel to keep the heat in and it works!

A couple of years back I saw pictures of people at sidewalk cafes in China drinking tea from thermoses, so I tried making my tea in a thermos instead of a teapot. Never going back! Stays warm for ages.

Of course, you need to have a thermos just sitting around...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8060 on: January 20, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »
Continuing my freezer draw down! We're half empty now. I'm going to have to start getting *really* creative for some of the meats (we end up with a lot of strong fish and organ meats, so they can be hard to work through). But, it's our lowest grocery spending EVER this month, so that's exciting!

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8061 on: January 20, 2017, 04:33:40 PM »
I let my boss pay for lunch today.  Saved me $10.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #8062 on: January 20, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »
- Visited a friend at home rather than going. Brought over stuff that I already had in my fridge
- The friend has cheaper gas near her house and filled up the car

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8063 on: January 20, 2017, 10:17:34 PM »
Didn't leave the house today except to walk the dogs.  Stayed home and spent no money.

Made leftovers from the last dinner into a new dinner for tonight.  It was some really good quesadillas with the other night's fajitas fillings. 

Created plans for an inexpensive standing desk that we will buy supplies for tomorrow and start building.  Its way cheaper than buying something in the size/with storage, that we need.

Switched to Ting mid-month.  Am hoping that by keeping my data usage in particular down, that my bill will be less than PagePlus was each month...or at least the same.  Ting was literally chosen because no one else would support a "small phone" (aka, not nearly 7 inches long), and I HAD to replace my old one.  Galaxy S5 mini from ebay, and a new Ting account was the solution.  Hopefully it works out.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8064 on: January 21, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »
I made a huge batch of beef stew for dinner even though I'm knocked down by a cold atm. Did it in stages: first the carrots, celery and onions. A while later, mixed up the "sauce." And then later still, after being out at kids activities, threw in the beef and diced up the potatoes. Family declared it delicious while I curled up on the couch with a box of kleenex.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8065 on: January 21, 2017, 12:18:19 AM »
I'm spending the day reading at home, drinking down my tea stocks and eating meals at home.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8066 on: January 21, 2017, 04:04:49 AM »
Took advantage of work-provided morning tea 3 days this week, so I didn't need to take much for lunch.

Made my own hummus, blending chickpeas, oil, garlic, lemon and salt. Waaaaaaaaay too much garlic apparently, but it is tasty! Pairing it with on sale cucumber and carrot for work snacks.

Was planning to buy new work shoes but decided to suck it up as wear out the two non-preferred pairs I have first.

Instead of a holiday this break, DH and I stayed at a relatives place to watch their pet while they were out of town. Beautiful beachside setting, we spent $50 on some nice groceries and that was it! Peaceful and perfect.

Committed to staying at my workplace for 6 more months, instead of jumping ship now. I have unpaid leave booked from June-Dec, and it is way more sensible to wait, save like crazy, consider a CC course to pick up some skills, and then look for a new job (with the security of going back to my hated job if the new job doesnt work out). I'm counting the work days (97!) down, but it is the best option.

We are on the tail end of a heatwave- DS and I have been taking freezer blocks to bed so it is cool enough to get to sleep.

I've been abusing my sodastream lately, making 5-6 bottles a day, half finishing them and leaving them lying around, then making new fizzy water rather than drinking the old. I'm forcing myself to finish each one before I make another, which is encouraging me to put them in the fridge.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8067 on: January 21, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
As part of my attempt to keep waste down to a minimum, when I was out of coffee, I grabbed the empty bag and headed to Sprouts and re-filled it with more beans.  While checking out, I mentioned to the cashier that I had started re-using my coffee bags and she gave me a bag credit!  Haha, only 2 cents, but still, saves a bit of money and reduces waste?  Nice.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:55:30 PM by tyort1 »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8068 on: January 21, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »
- Cold-washed, line-dried washing (with most of it pegged inside out to avoid fading)
- Bought a birthday present for a friend, $25 online including shipping, compared with $50 at the first place I looked
- Bought a packet of mints to refill the little tin I keep in my desk drawer at work ($2 for a tin versus $1.20 for a bag of mints that will refill the tin five times)*

* This falls under the category my husband calls 'Don't tell people you do that!' Oops. I told people. :)

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:10:56 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8069 on: January 21, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
Bought some frozen fish that my wife turns into nice fish and chips (I do the chips).

Got home. Noticed the fish was $0.99 instead of $5.99! Went back and got 4 more packets (and told the store; I'm guessing it's an error from when they had old stock fish on sale a month ago).

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #8070 on: January 22, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »
All meals at home. Made the kids some chocolate chip cookies. I had bought some extra baking supplies around the holidays. Just a nice, lazy no spend day.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #8071 on: January 22, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »
1. used  smoked turkey legs for split pea soup
2. saved the bones to reuse for stock
3. cut the turkey bones, made stock, used the stock in another batch of split pea soup

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8072 on: January 22, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »
- Unclogged a bathroom drain by myself.

- Adjusted private health cover to save $47 a month.

- Husband's motorbike sold over the weekend, bringing in $4000. Today I will cancel the insurance, saving $35/month.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8073 on: January 22, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »
I learned to use the mending stitch on my sewing machine and repaired holes/worn fabric in 2 pairs of my jeans and 2 pairs of DH's. I have a third pair of jeans I need to find to see if they are a candidate for the same treatment.

Paid for diapers with a Target gift card we got for Christmas. Probably not what it was intended for, but we didn't need or particularly want anything else.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8074 on: January 22, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »
I fixed clothes today, too!  Patched the knees of three pairs of little boy pants, and figured out what I need to do to fix big boy athletic pants... but need to look around to see if I can find the correct fabric for patching the polyester yet.

Bought 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes for $0.99 each, instead of spaghetti sauce at $2.79/jar.  Should be easy to make and freeze my own sauce, don't know why I never do it.

Husband and son fixed their own bikes today, but I'll take ownership of the savings! ;)

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #8075 on: January 22, 2017, 10:44:53 PM »
I bought a used DSL modem on eBay for $14. I already have a wireless router. So I will be able to get rid of the $6.95/month modem rental fee that my ISP charges. Should pay for itself after two months.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8076 on: January 23, 2017, 04:50:00 AM »
I fixed clothes today, too!  Patched the knees of three pairs of little boy pants, and figured out what I need to do to fix big boy athletic pants... but need to look around to see if I can find the correct fabric for patching the polyester yet.

Bought 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes for $0.99 each, instead of spaghetti sauce at $2.79/jar.  Should be easy to make and freeze my own sauce, don't know why I never do it.

Husband and son fixed their own bikes today, but I'll take ownership of the savings! ;)

Awesome! I haven't had to patch little boy pants yet, but I imagine he'll start wearing out clothes before he outgrows them soon.

For the athletic pants, could you find a pair at a thrift store to cut up for patch material? Even a pair of kids pants (or jacket/windbreaker?) in roughly the same color and weight could work.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8077 on: January 23, 2017, 07:10:27 AM »

Awesome! I haven't had to patch little boy pants yet, but I imagine he'll start wearing out clothes before he outgrows them soon.

For the athletic pants, could you find a pair at a thrift store to cut up for patch material? Even a pair of kids pants (or jacket/windbreaker?) in roughly the same color and weight could work.

How old is your little guy? I find that around age 4 they begin to wear out the knees, even the "reinforced knee" pants, because they play so many games where they pretend to be crashing into something, being blasted by something, etc. all of which involve falling to one or both knees. It's also more stress on the pants when they start outgrowing them; I'm not on top of making sure pants aren't too tight.  It helps to iron on a patch behind the knees when they start getting fuzzy and showing signs of wear. 

You are right about finding some other piece of clothing to cannibalize.  Unfortunately, the closest thrift store is a 20 minute drive from here and I've been faithfully decluttering old clothes so I don't seem to have anything at hand-- but wait a second!  There is actually a church thrift store only 5 minutes away, open only two days a week. I completely forgot about it until now. So that is my next step, thanks!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8078 on: January 23, 2017, 09:44:28 AM »

Easy easy - I do it all the time.  One can crushed tomatoes, one can diced tomatoes, cooked ground beef, cooked diced onions plus some garlic, maybe some mushrooms or bell peppers if they are in the fridge and need using up, herbs (for me it is basil and marjoram, not oregano).   Mix, portion out, freeze.  Or don't add herbs, freeze, add seasoning of choice (spaghetti, chili, taco, etc.) when thawing and you have even more choices for dinner.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8079 on: January 23, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »

How old is your little guy? I find that around age 4 they begin to wear out the knees, even the "reinforced knee" pants, because they play so many games where they pretend to be crashing into something, being blasted by something, etc. all of which involve falling to one or both knees. It's also more stress on the pants when they start outgrowing them; I'm not on top of making sure pants aren't too tight.  It helps to iron on a patch behind the knees when they start getting fuzzy and showing signs of wear. 

You are right about finding some other piece of clothing to cannibalize.  Unfortunately, the closest thrift store is a 20 minute drive from here and I've been faithfully decluttering old clothes so I don't seem to have anything at hand-- but wait a second!  There is actually a church thrift store only 5 minutes away, open only two days a week. I completely forgot about it until now. So that is my next step, thanks!

Thank you for the tip! He's only 18 months but very active and I'd noticed that hand-me-downs and secondhand clothes seem to drop off with 3T sizes. I'm glad I may have an extra year before he starts truly destroying his clothes.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8080 on: January 23, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
Switched to Ting mid-month.  Am hoping that by keeping my data usage in particular down, that my bill will be less than PagePlus was each month...or at least the same.  Ting was literally chosen because no one else would support a "small phone" (aka, not nearly 7 inches long), and I HAD to replace my old one.  Galaxy S5 mini from ebay, and a new Ting account was the solution.  Hopefully it works out.

That's why we went with Ting as well! I have the S4 mini. I didn't even know there was an S5 mini. Mine is almost unusable, so maybe it's time to upgrade? (I desperately want the Pixel, but no way I can justify that expense. Although I might if they come out with a mini version.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:49:23 AM by Inaya »

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8081 on: January 23, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »
Took a vacation day today to visit the hot spring with a coupon we got when we moved here. So we only paid half of the price. It was absolutely awesome, almost no people.

We combined this with a trip to the neighbouring country so we could stock up on bathroom products for cheap and get a package which has arrived.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8082 on: January 23, 2017, 12:34:34 PM »
For the first time EVER, I found something on manager's special at the grocery store because it was close to the use-by date. (I hear MMM people talk about this all the time but I think the turnover is too heavy at city grocery stores for this to be common.) It was a brand of mozzarella cheese I really like, so I bought a package. $2 savings. I can make it into a baked ziti or lasagna and use it all up quickly.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8083 on: January 23, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »
I found a place in my city that has massage therapists that are trained to handle late-pregnancy pain and discomfort (OW MY HIPS), AND have those nifty massage tables where you can just kinda tuck your belly into a hole and get a proper massage, AND this is 80% covered by my health insurance.

Or, in other words: for 15$ out-of-pocket, I should be able to be mostly pain-free and sleep properly for a few days.

Right now, that's a BARGAIN.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8084 on: January 23, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »
Put out a buffet of leftovers for me and the kids for lunch and a lot was eaten up. I chose the oldest dish for myself, even though I didn't really want it (for the fourth time) and froze the rest in a foil tin for a lady at church that I'm cooking for who has a chronic illness.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8085 on: January 23, 2017, 03:07:52 PM »
Kitsune, if you don't have them already, I highly recommend wedge-shaped and L-shaped pregnancy pillows! I was so desperate for sleep but couldn't afford the fancy pillows on sale, so I recreated them by hand. I went to  an online place that sells foam and batting (sorry, can't remember which as it was over 12 years ago)  and bought a rectangular piece of spongy foam, and several bags of polyester fiberfill. I hacked the foam into two wedges using scissors. Then I took 4 yards of cheap muslin fabric, folded it over, used a crayon to draw a big "L" shape in what I felt would be the right dimensions, and cut it out so I had two big "L"s. Stitched them together around the edges, left a hole for  stuffing, and made my pillow. I had some fabric and stuffing  left, so I also made a nice long but thin bed pillow.

This made such a difference to me, and I happily used them throughout my pregnancies.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #8086 on: January 23, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
What did I do to save money today? My body contrived to still be sick. (I've had a cold since early last week.) Since last week, zero $$ have been spent on dining out w/ hubby, lunch out with friends, on gas, etc. Just staying home, reading, writing, resting and watching Netflix. Very frugal.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8087 on: January 23, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »
- Cancelled sponsor child (after discussion in another thread), saving $48/year.

- Opened a new term deposit and transferred a chunk of cash into it as I'm about to hit the balance limit on my "high interest" savings account.

- Bulked out today's lunch (a chicken noodle simmer soup) with 1.5 cups of macaroni. This was too much, as it turns out - there are more noodles than soup! But a handful next time would definitely work.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8088 on: January 23, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »
1967mama, is it your birthday?? Happy birthday if so!!

- Cancelled sponsor child (after discussion in another thread), saving $48/year.

Shouldn't that be $48/month?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8089 on: January 23, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
Our washer seized up and smelled like burning mid-load. Wee. DH dug out tools and we did our own trouble shooting. Lots of googling to confirm things later, diagnosis was in: transmission failure. (I didn't even know washers HAD those before starting the process, haha). Sadly, it's a 24 year old machine (older than the house!), and the part is not available- not even refurbs.

Rather than run out and buy a new one at that point, we did some asking around- and my ILs might just give us their old set from the house they're currently selling. In the meantime, I'll be using their washer anyway since they live less than a mile away and we've been house sitting (they're working on prepping it for sale, and splitting time between the places right now- only a couple days a week at the place close to us).

A couple no spend days in a row.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8090 on: January 23, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
Kitsune, if you don't have them already, I highly recommend wedge-shaped and L-shaped pregnancy pillows! I was so desperate for sleep but couldn't afford the fancy pillows on sale, so I recreated them by hand. I went to  an online place that sells foam and batting (sorry, can't remember which as it was over 12 years ago)  and bought a rectangular piece of spongy foam, and several bags of polyester fiberfill. I hacked the foam into two wedges using scissors. Then I took 4 yards of cheap muslin fabric, folded it over, used a crayon to draw a big "L" shape in what I felt would be the right dimensions, and cut it out so I had two big "L"s. Stitched them together around the edges, left a hole for  stuffing, and made my pillow. I had some fabric and stuffing  left, so I also made a nice long but thin bed pillow.

This made such a difference to me, and I happily used them throughout my pregnancies.

Yeah, I have a similar one and it worked wonders until about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm just at the stage of huge and everything hurts and ugh. My mom says the point of the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy is to make you so miserable that you get ready to give birth - she might have a point. Ugh.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8091 on: January 23, 2017, 07:02:01 PM »
Yes,  late term pregnancy is the pits!!  My first pregnancy was at least interesting because it was all new, but the second one was like, "all right all right, just give me the baby now!"

I should probably take this to the Baby/Pregnancy thread, but let me put in a good word for "hypnobirthing". Despite the fruity hippie name, it worked well for me and I highly recommend. The basic premise is that childbirth is a natural peristaltic process like swallowing, etc. and that it's not necessarily painful unless you are tense. Anyway, good luck and congratulations!!

Melisande, I hope you feel better! There has been a very nasty cough-forever disease going around and the way out of it is getting lots of rest.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8092 on: January 24, 2017, 12:28:41 AM »
Happier at Home!

Thank you!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8093 on: January 24, 2017, 01:04:42 AM »
1967mama, is it your birthday?? Happy birthday if so!!

Shouldn't that be $48/month?

Yes, $48/month!

Happier at Home!

Thank you!

Thanks Happier, and happy birthday, 1967mama!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8094 on: January 24, 2017, 01:35:42 AM »
Yeah, I have a similar one and it worked wonders until about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm just at the stage of huge and everything hurts and ugh. My mom says the point of the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy is to make you so miserable that you get ready to give birth - she might have a point. Ugh.

:( No fun. My s/o didn't have this experience, (her entire pregnancy was pretty awesome, in her words - the only thing she ever complained about was the minor dietary restrictions) but I know people who have. Seems pretty miserable.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8095 on: January 24, 2017, 11:37:09 AM »
I just registered for a customer card at a grocery store that gives 15% discount on veggies anf fruit, plus 1% on everything else.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8096 on: January 24, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
Batch cooking before DH leaves town for work. Modified a couple recipes to work with just what we had on hand. Used only black beans from dry for chili, and skipped the ground beef- did a chopped up roast instead. Also used a part can of jalapenos left over from nachos. Also skipped the bell pepper I usually put in, since I don't have one on hand. For the curry, I used the rest of the roast, and skipped green onion and cilantro that I usually put in since I didn't have them on hand.

Both still turned out well, and DH will be well stocked with food while he's gone. Pocket that per diem!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8097 on: January 24, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »
Thanks, mustachepungoeshere!

Today I:

*froze a huge batch of leftover chili for after a big outing we hve in 2 weeks. Future me will be so happy!

*drank lots of tea from a single steeper of loose tea used over and over.

*gathered library materials that are due today to go back when we are out tonite

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8098 on: January 24, 2017, 03:29:08 PM »
Bought 2 glass martini glasses and a glass butter keeper at two different thrift stores. Items we had been meaning to buy, but not before checking the local second-hand stores. Saved at least $12 right there and they look good as new.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8099 on: January 24, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
Sold motorbike for $4000, cancelled insurance, got a $77 refund.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!