Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020606 times)

brute

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6650 on: July 25, 2016, 08:33:16 AM »
I bought a massive thing of pork chops that was half off due to being old. Got it home, smelled a little weird, but not dangerous. Marinated it in some homebrewed porter for 6 hours. Covered up any off flavors, ended up being fantastic topped with some old mushrooms and goat cheese. Protein goals for the day met, and $3 under food budget for the day.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6651 on: July 25, 2016, 09:26:01 AM »
I looked through the Naturalizer summer shoe sales to find/buy 3 pairs of shoes I actually needed.
1) A pair of warm winter boots that are not huge clunky good-for--40-weather boots, which were the only ones I had last winter, and I cursed not having something more comfortable and walkable at least 5 days a week. 75% off the usual price, and cheaper than what I have been seeing at the thrift store (and those were in dubious condition).
2) A pair of walkable closed-toed shoes to replace the pair that currently have 3 holes in the soles. I got hurraches, which are comfortable and breatheable and have a great supportive sole that don't hurt my feet. Less than 30$.
3) A pair of office-appropriate low-heeled slingback shoes to wear with skirts and dresses all summer... because I've been wearing shoes of that description for 10 years, and after 10 years my other ones gave up and not even the cobbler could rescue them. Replacement: 40$.

I have a personal rule of no clothes/shoe shopping unless it is 1) something I've been lacking and feeling the lack for more thna 3 months (see: a second pair of winter boots to actually suit the needs I have), or 2) a replacement for something I've worn to pieces, and then I'll typically spend more for quality and comfortand wear the second one to pieces eventually too.

If things fit rules 1 and 2 AND are 75% off? It's a good day. :)

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6652 on: July 25, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »
Saturday I took the kids to a puppet show at the library.  Free and fun entertainment for all of us.  The whole family then went to the movies that night - my husband and I paid for our tickets with a free movie voucher I got from Marlboro (we don't smoke, but I'm signed up for all the free stuff they give away), and since both my kids are under 3, they were free, so more free entertainment as we did not purchase any snacks from concessions.

Yesterday, I made up two batches of blueberry jam and canned it, then made a batch of blueberry muffins, using up the last blueberries from the bucket my husband and daughter picked a few weeks ago.  Got all the canning supplies on a mystery shop at a local grocery store, so very cheap (and yummy!) jam for us!

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #6653 on: July 26, 2016, 01:15:43 AM »
Reused packaging material to send out some items I sold through our version of CL.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6654 on: July 26, 2016, 06:09:35 AM »
I had saved all my old birch drawers from our bathroom remodel and used a large 2x2 one with the bottom taken out as a bed frame. 

Oh that is SO resourceful. I just threw out a bunch of hard wood drawers. Wah.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6655 on: July 26, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
*made a huge pot of baked beans from scratch

*kids are in a 5 day camp - attending for free because I billeted 2 coaches for 4 nights

*no a/c use even though I reaaaaaalllly wanted to use it

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #6656 on: July 26, 2016, 07:59:15 PM »
I ate very well today, including a delicious beef stew and a little brownie for a treat, and I didn't spend a penny.

I also didn't buy any more kitchen stuff. I've gotten to the point where replacing all the low-hanging fruit has been done, so now it's time to really think about what else I actually need, as in want to and would use regularly. There won't be any more kitchen purchases until next month.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6657 on: July 26, 2016, 09:37:13 PM »
Made yogurt with milk that was on clearance and flavored it with some of the peaches I bought straight from the farm for canning.  Still have more milk left to make mozzarella tomorrow (though I'm not sure it will be very cost effective).

Made a lunch for tomorrow with homegrown potatoes and onions.

Arranged to have a coworker pick me up on the way to our field site tomorrow instead of meeting at the office only to go back the way I came.

Had a simple dinner of zucchini noodles with a squash from a coworker and pesto and tomatoes from the garden.

Didn't spend any money today.

Filled out and mailed a mail-in rebate for $14.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6658 on: July 27, 2016, 06:18:01 AM »
Brought some inherited family jewelry that had been languishing for years in the safety deposit box to an auction house for free appraisal day. I used Kaminski in Beverly, MA but I'm sure others do the same thing. There is a limit of 5 items at a time. They took some of it.

Previously I had taken the box contents to an independent appraiser and for $85 just had them sort it by approximate value - over $300 auction, midprice consignment, $100 or lower eBay. If I wanted to save the $85 I could have brought it all to Kaminsky but at 5 items a shot it is too far to drive.

If I add up the cost of the safety deposit times the 13 years I paid the fee ... Hard lesson - old things do NOT necessarily appreciate. Stuff goes out of fashion. Age wear sets in.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6659 on: July 27, 2016, 07:31:21 AM »
* Had oatmeal for breakfast, that I had cooked on Sunday (I make a big batch and portion it out for the week for breakfast at work)
* Traded some of my blueberry jam for a friend's strawberry jam
* Hubby cooked dinner with ingredients we already had in the freezer, with enough for leftovers for lunch today
* Got a mystery shop to cover the cost of my son's prescription (we have insurance, but a high deductible plan, so this saves me the OOP cost on that)

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6660 on: July 27, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
Yesterday I asked a coworker for a ride home from a meeting instead of calling an uber. My husband had our only car all day at his work and I would have had to sit for 2 hours to wait for him to pick me up. Saved me a $6 uber ride.

I'll be travelling for work tomorrow and Friday. Booked a hotel with mini fridge and microwave and will eat in the room and pocket my per diem.
Sunday is my husband's birthday and we debated what to do to celebrate. We've decided to have some friends over to our community pool and do a lunchtime grill out. Burgers, hot dogs and mixed berry cobbler. The earlier hour means people won't be as tempted to drink heavily and one of our guests offered to bring soft drinks. We stocked up on beer when it was BOGO at Publix a few weeks ago. I'm checking grocery sales to figure out where to buy the other groceries needed.

On the birthday note, I'm currently fighting against the urge to buy my husband more gifts. I bought him a handmade leather journal with Zelda based designs when we went to the Ren Faire in January. I was really happy with the gift, and wrote a meaningful note inside it about all the things coming up in this year (he graduates professional school, we're hoping to buy a house and have a baby).

The trouble is that boxes and boxes of gifts keep showing up from his mother and sister. I opened one box thinking it was something I had ordered from Amazon and there was a brand new Xbox One in there (we have the old model) and another $150 worth of dvds and video games. That was only the first box. Another 4 have arrived and he's picking up one from Fedex this afternoon and something else is arriving on Friday. My gift now seems woefully inadequate in the face of all this bounty. It's also hard because I'm the keeper of the budget in our home and my husband would be more spendypants if it wasn't for me and so I now feel like I deprive him year round and now I'm give him a wimpy gift on his birthday.

Maybe you could plan a day out just the two of you?  There are lots of frugal things you could do - pack a picnic and take it to a park, find out if your local museums have any free exhibit days, take a day trip somewhere (beach, mountains, etc.).   Do something that's an experience for him, rather than a gift, type of thing.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6661 on: July 27, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »
I think the community grill sounds lovely, as does the journal.  Spending time grilling and hanging out with friends is pretty much a perfect celebration in my book.  You chose a gift with meaning for him (and you), that he will keep for years to come.    The xbox/games will be outdated in a few years, and will hold no meaning for him at all.  They're just stuff, and you don't need to compete with that.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6662 on: July 27, 2016, 03:26:01 PM »
Did not have to make dinner last night... my sport club had it's registration day which I help run and we put on a free BBQ for the kids who turned up. There was quite a bit of food left over :)

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #6663 on: July 27, 2016, 04:24:04 PM »
Put back a lovely black top at Target. 

It would have gone with just about every outfit I have and was 29.99.  As soon as I had it in my hands, I had to get a basket . . . and then the basket magically started attracting more stuff.  When it started to feel heavy, I came to my senses and put back every bit of it, including the shirt. 

Total savings:  +/- $150.00

Matt (Semper Fi)

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6664 on: July 27, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »
I increased my thermostat from 77 degrees to 78 degrees.  That is huge for me, since as of three weeks ago I had it set at 73 degrees all the time during the hot summers, sometimes 72.  I have been increasing the temperature every few days and getting the family acclimated to the new temperatures.  We were really comfortable at 77, but I have noticed that 78 degrees, especially in the middle of a hot summer day (110 degrees outside), we were just a tad flushed.  But we'll give it a few more days, see what happens.

Hung the clothes out to dry rather than run the clothes dryer.  No sense in running that thing when it's 110 degrees outside, hahaha.

Shut the vents and doors to rooms that are not being used.

And, as always, "if it's yellow, let it mellow, but if it's brown, flush it down." 

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6665 on: July 27, 2016, 04:57:49 PM »
Ran out of abrasive to scrub down bathroom tiles, so I used... sand. I wiped it down afterward (in stead of rinsing it all down the drain were it would clog the pipes). Worked like a charm, so no more Cif or Vim for me. More room in the cupboards, yay!
Laundry day today, so I hung out three loads in preparation of our vacation later this week. Mostly line dried, just one load that had to dry indoors as it had began to pour outside.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6666 on: July 27, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
Ran out of abrasive to scrub down bathroom tiles, so I used... sand. I wiped it down afterward (in stead of rinsing it all down the drain were it would clog the pipes). Worked like a charm, so no more Cif or Vim for me. More room in the cupboards, yay!
Laundry day today, so I hung out three loads in preparation of our vacation later this week. Mostly line dried, just one load that had to dry indoors as it had began to pour outside.

If you use table salt, you can rinse it down without worry because it'll dissolve. Table salt is about as cheap as sand here - is it where you are, too?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6667 on: July 27, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »
Moving this weekend but new place is walking distance from old place, so I'm avoiding paying movers.

I carted more things over this morning, including my baby Hills Hoist and a basket of wet washing. New place gets more sun so I'm making the most of it already.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6668 on: July 27, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I got my electricity and gas bills. Pretty low useage (I'm good that way), less than 1/3 of the usage of a typical single person household in South Australia (I have my daughter half the time too).

Went online to compare other plans. I deliberately went into a no contract scenario when I started in this house a few months ago so I could do this.
Took me five minutes, found a deal that would save me about $30 a quarter. Person called me back, took ten minutes on the phone to set up the changeover-very pleasant and easy, I was on speaker phone so I was getting other things done at the same time :-)

Couple of weeks later, get call from old elec/gas company asking why I'm shifting. Told them straight-I can get a better deal. Guy checks with his manager, immediately offers me a big % discount on the kwh and MJ, plus $50 credit on my elec and $50 credit on my gas. Still no lock in contracts. Worked it out vs the new company, and I would be an additional $90 better off for the next quarter! Took me about 15minutes on the phone this time to sort it all.

So, two 15minute sessions, saved $120.

I'll do EXACTLY the same thing again next quarter!

I'm not even worth it to these companies to offer me so much deal and credit, I hardly use anything anyway, haha!

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #6669 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:48 AM »
Was babysitting yesterday, and stayed over. Free meal, breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. But above all some nice quality time with my nephews!

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #6670 on: July 28, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
I cancelled a magazine subscription today.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6671 on: July 28, 2016, 02:57:31 PM »
I had leftovers for dinner and then took a Pokemon walk. I keep the data disabled on my smartphone, but there is plenty of wi-fi around. Also, car free for 6 months now.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #6672 on: July 28, 2016, 04:14:41 PM »
About 4 or 5 years ago I received 2 large S'well bottles for free. I have used them both every single day since then. One is for cold water, one cold tea that I make at home. I also use them at home to drink out of (my cat likes to play in glasses of water). Well they are all scratched up, a little dented and the lids are starting to give up. Instead of buying new bottles (they are $58 dollars now) which I did debate, I searched online until I found the cheapest place offering the replacement lids. Not easy here in Canada as they are sold out everywhere. Finally found them, $13 later and my new bottle caps are on the way. I resisted the urge for new "pretty" bottles!

I also negotiated a personal line of credit from my bank with a very low interest rate. I am paying down some credit card debt I have from being sick for a few years. So far I have been able to move it around so I am always paying zero percent interest, but I think they are getting wise because they have stopped offering that deal on one of my cards. The loan is my backup plan just in case I don't get it all paid off in time. I have a few months to work on it, but I wanted to lock in the loan now because the interest rate was so darn good. I likely won't need to use it, but having a backup plan makes me sleep better at night and the time spent doing the paperwork was totally worth it.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6673 on: July 28, 2016, 06:34:35 PM »
Last night I did a $50 woolworths shop in order to earn $5 woolworths dollars (when your account gets to $10 they credit you, so its essentially 10% off).
Bought 21 bags of rolled oats-woolworths are the cheapest source I can find, as well as some other long life essentials that I'll use in the future.
Next week from Monday onwards Woolworths are repeating the offer, so I'll do the same again. I'll go to a different store this time; hopefully they'll have at least another 21 bags of Rolled Oats in stock :-)

Inc in my purchase was a bag of woolworths powdered milk. I try to be vegetarian but Dairy is my big foible. I like fresh milk in my tea at home for taste. I can get that at $1/litre, or $2.92/3Litres if I go to Costco (this is bad for the dairy farmers but that's another story...). UHT milk the best I can get at Aldi or Woolworths is 90c/Litre; this is fine in hot chocolate or on my morning oats (just a splash).

If made to the directions, the Woolworths powdered milk is 69c/Litre. Did a batch last night in a jug I had in the fridge that was just holding water (filling the fridge with thermal mass makes it more efficicent...). Turned out great! Delicious actually. I've drunk tons of powdered milk in the past hiking and cycle touring (literally years worth), and know that occasionally some don't taste that great, depends on the brand, and I used to always find that package directions were too weak for me. But this one is perfect! Good enough to have in tea and coffee sometimes too :-) So I'll drastically reduce my fresh milk buying and stock up on powdered milk and more oats next week at Woolies .

Lifehacked

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6674 on: July 28, 2016, 11:15:39 PM »
Walked and took public transport everywhere today. Got in 12,000 steps, saved on gas, and found a huge patch of purslane near my son's school. I harvested several handfuls and it's prepped and ready for smoothies and salad tomorrow. Free omega-3s!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6675 on: July 29, 2016, 01:14:49 AM »
*Made beans and rice in my Amazon Prime Day Instant Pot in 28 minutes! This appliance amazes me!

*Hosted a camp windup for 15 coaches and they fed my family as well plus left us with 3 large pizzas, 2 dozen of those
individual ice cream cups with the flat wooden spoon and 4 litres of pop.

*Didn't use the a/c even though it was 79 degrees in my house

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6676 on: July 29, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »
*Made beans and rice in my Amazon Prime Day Instant Pot in 28 minutes! This appliance amazes me!

About once a week I dance around my kitchen singing the praises of my Instant Pot.  Can't remember the last time I opened a store-bought can of beans.

Today - teleworking, so no gas to drive to the office.

Finishing canning up my 40# of peaches and figuring out how to make ricotta out of the shit ton of whey I have leftover of making mozzarella last night.

Kind of an MPP:  I went to our local co-op yesterday for a couple specific items, and thought I'd peruse around and maybe treat myself of a couple specialty items.  Looked at many of the condiments and things and thought:  Meh, I make that at home and mine is probably better anyway.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6677 on: July 29, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »
*Leftover pizza and garden grown lettuce salad for dinner tonite

*Leftover beans and rice for lunch

*Walked right by McDonald's and came home to make eggs, spinach and avacado for my breakfast.

*Tea at home before going out

*Planning family vacation and trying to do it on the cheap

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6678 on: July 29, 2016, 12:20:54 PM »
Worked on own divorce paperwork. Am consulting a lawyer, but I don't need someone to type up my forms for me!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6679 on: July 29, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
* Saved $480 on a 2 oz tube of prescription cream for my son's skin condition by using insurance ($475) and a flippin' coupon ($5) I printed off the Internet. God help us all.

* Used a $5 off $30 coupon from the Sprouts Market circular to save on bread and produce for the weekend.

* Saved $0.20/lb on rolled oats by using the bulk bins at the superhippie natural foods store I visited today, instead of buying them at Sprouts.

* Postponing laundry until off-peak hours to save $. Printed out our electric utility's "time of use" rate chart and will post it near our thermostat.

* Dug up and potted a feverfew seedling and a cassia seedling that had volunteered in the backyard. Will replant them later in more favorable locations.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6680 on: July 29, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
 - Cooking food and snacks ahead of our vacation so we don't have to buy food!
 - Secured borrowed camping equipment so we don't have to buy any right now
 - Refuse to turn on the AC!
 - Instead of going to a fancy-pants gym, danced like a mad whilst cleaning up got an hour workout and a clean kitchen to boot!
 - Started discussions with a client to find someone to slowly replace myself. Short term loss (actually might not, I'll be replacing the income easily) for a longer term gain.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6681 on: July 30, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
-Switching wireless carriers.  It will cut my bill in half for roughly the same service (in fact the new provider uses same towers as my old provider).
-Cooked breakfast and lunch at home (this is pretty common though)
-Opened up the apartment and turned off the AC since it's cooler than it's been all summer.  Still pretty toasty in here though haha
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:09:58 AM by dignam »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6682 on: July 30, 2016, 03:13:12 PM »
Moved house, no movers, no boxes, no tape.

Got all the big stuff moved with the help of wonderful friends and family. At the end of the day I cooked them dinner in the new place to say thank you.

Even with the chaos of moving I washed and pegged two loads of washing. New place gets a lot more sun, so washing dries faster.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6683 on: July 30, 2016, 05:15:15 PM »

Got all the big stuff moved with the help of wonderful friends and family. At the end of the day I cooked them dinner in the new place to say thank you.

Even with the chaos of moving I washed and pegged two loads of washing. New place gets a lot more sun, so washing dries faster.

How did you move without boxes or tape?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6684 on: July 30, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »

How did you move without boxes or tape?

The new place is, um, really very close to the old place. They're in the same apartment building.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6685 on: July 30, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »
Postponed grocery shopping a whole day by whipping up a batch of pesto to use in place of tomato sauce on pizza.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #6686 on: July 31, 2016, 05:40:04 AM »
Bought a watch case opener. Broke even on the charge to replace a watch battery, so if I even only use it one more time, I'll be money ahead.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6687 on: July 31, 2016, 04:52:26 PM »
Went on a long (7.5 mile!) walk in the woods behind our house this morning. Free entertainment and great exercise.

Threw frozen chicken legs in the crockpot before taking our visiting family members to the airport to have dinner ready when we got home.

Used the chicken bones and veggie scraps to make stock in the pressure cooker.

The juices rendered by the cooking chicken will be used (with the addition of garlic and a jalapeño from our container garden) to make black beans in the crockpot overnight.

Will be giving myself a pedicure after the little one goes to sleep.

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6688 on: July 31, 2016, 05:52:57 PM »
Tossed eight withered apples on their last legs into the juicer. Came out with close to two cups of fresh apple juice.

Harvested approximately two pounds of tomatoes from the back yard, along with a handful of green beans.

Refused to plug in the portable air conditioner when the weather got hot last week and the temperature reached 86 degrees inside the house. Survived by putting ice packs on my head and neck, and taking cold showers. Might have to break down when it gets to ninety degrees.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:55:37 PM by llorona »

ElGrillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6689 on: July 31, 2016, 07:20:49 PM »
Not sure if this really counts for this thread, but today I remembered about a shoebox of coins I have been collecting for about 5 years now. When I had extra change I'd throw it in there and forget about it, but I went through them and found I have $50 of coins. It's not much, but it's something. Tomorrow I'll go and deposit them at the coin counter at my bank, although I probably should have done that years ago. :P

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #6690 on: July 31, 2016, 07:55:01 PM »
When I traveled to see my family this weekend, I packed lunch and dinner plus snacks so I didn't have to stop along the way. The sandwiches were very tasty and I was happy that I saved money while eating healthy.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #6691 on: August 01, 2016, 03:26:15 AM »
I had leftovers for dinner and then took a Pokemon walk. I keep the data disabled on my smartphone, but there is plenty of wi-fi around. Also, car free for 6 months now.

Heard tmobile offers free data for Pokemon

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6692 on: August 01, 2016, 03:27:30 AM »

*Hosted a camp windup for 15 coaches and they fed my family as well plus left us with 3 large pizzas, 2 dozen of those
individual ice cream cups with the flat wooden spoon and 4 litres of pop.

*Didn't use the a/c even though it was 79 degrees in my house

Recipe?

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6693 on: August 01, 2016, 03:32:51 AM »
Earned 60 cents off the gallon Kroger fuel rewards. Going to get a gas can so I can get my full 35 gallons of gas.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #6694 on: August 01, 2016, 09:55:36 AM »
Ate dinner at a friend's place yesterday, so didn't have leftovers for dinner. Made a "random things from the fridge" sandwich with a side of sliced cucumber instead of going out with colleagues.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6695 on: August 01, 2016, 10:08:24 AM »
Borrowed a steam cleaner from a family member to do our carpets in prep for move out. Because of schedules, it meant a late night for me, but a free "rental" to make sure we get deposit back? Worth it.

When relative came by to pick up steam cleaner when passing through town, let us load up their trailer in advance of our move this coming weekend. It'll stay in the trailer until we move. All out books and art were able to get packed up. Hopefully means fewer trips for our move, since we're moving over 100 miles away.

A friend had an extra concert ticket, so I got to go see Flogging Molly! That was incredibly awesome, and friend didn't want me to pay for the ticket. I bought him a cider as a thank you, but that's nothing compared to the whole experience- especially because it was sold out anyway.

Took all our "to shred" papers to get shredded. I asked them to tare the weight of the box after it was emptied and subtract is- saved me $1.10, and then I kept the box for moving.

Serve&Volley88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6696 on: August 01, 2016, 12:44:36 PM »
Brought lunch to work, which consisted of leftover enchiladas I made for dinner last night and leftover potato latkes from a very fancypants dinner I went to on Saturday night. It was the type of restaurant that charges $55 for a filet mignon and $10+ for a single side. It was a celebratory dinner for my sister and dad picked up the tab. Certainly not a place a cheapskate like me would have chosen!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6697 on: August 02, 2016, 01:09:53 AM »
Brought a stack of paperwork to work for shredding after cleaning out my files.

Continuing to pursue a refund that was promised two months ago. It's $50; I'm not going to forget.

Contacted payroll to set up a salary sacrifice into super.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6698 on: August 02, 2016, 05:54:41 AM »
I baked my first loaf of sourdough bread. We haven't eaten much bread in years, but I found myself buying it more since toast and grilled cheese sandwiches are a good, easy meal for our little one.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6699 on: August 02, 2016, 06:44:58 AM »
Going to bargain Tuesday at the movies. Found out that several of the local theaters have bargain Tuesday, so I put it on the calendar to check on Tues morning if there is anything I want to see.

DVD drive broke so I cancelled the DVD portion of Netflix. Streaming is probably the next to go, once I finish the current season of "Orange is the New Black".