Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020827 times)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #300 on: February 07, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Today, I got myself a set of five brand new, never used cast iron pans in various sizes, free through Freecycle.org

Excellent!  That is an incredible score!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: February 08, 2014, 08:10:16 AM »
I parked on the road near the airport (small town) to avoid paying $7 a day in parking fees for the 17 days I am away. That's me covered for this thread until early next year right? :)
Here's an idea for the future:  If you're flying or going on a cruise or whatever and need to leave your car somewhere, take it to a local auto shop and leave it for some basic maintenance (oil change, alignment, whatever).  Talk to the owner ahead of time and say that you'll need to leave it for a few days.  No one will tow your car for being "unattended", and you'll get the maintenance you needed done.

I do this with my bike when I take a bus on extended trips. Rather than lock up outside, I drop it off at the nearby bike shop for some inexpensive maintenance so it for sure won't be stolen while I'm gone

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #302 on: February 08, 2014, 09:25:34 AM »
Here's an idea for the future:  If you're flying or going on a cruise or whatever and need to leave your car somewhere, take it to a local auto shop and leave it for some basic maintenance (oil change, alignment, whatever).  Talk to the owner ahead of time and say that you'll need to leave it for a few days.  No one will tow your car for being "unattended", and you'll get the maintenance you needed done.

IIRC, some shops charge a fee if your vehicle sticks around longer than a day or two.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »
My last four days off I spent at home (not shopping) and making homemade yummy food from whatever we had on hand.

Last night my husband colored my hair ($8) rather than going to the salon (saving $100).

Brought left over hamburgers (homemade) to work for lunch and lots of yummy fruit.

Skipped the bought decaf coffee at work today and am drinking water (better for the baby!) savings $1.85.

My biggest savings over the last four days was staying in ... and no internet shopping :) I have completely cut out shopping on Ebay/Amazon ... I shudder to think how much I have spent there in the last few years!

Baby steps are good :)

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #304 on: February 08, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »
Made breakfast with leftovers in the fridge, nothing thrown away. Coffee at home, spaghetti squash steamed for lasagna for supper, and saved the seeds for my garden this spring! :)

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: February 08, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
Once my wife (who can't take the cold) left the house, I turned the thermostat down from 62 to 55.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2014, 04:08:05 AM »
I am making homemade laundry detergent today!  $.08 cents a load for the first batch because of hardware purchases, second batch will cost $.005 per load!!

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »
I am making homemade laundry detergent today!  $.08 cents a load for the first batch because of hardware purchases, second batch will cost $.005 per load!!
What recipe are you using? This is one of those things I abandoned after a few months. My husbands work shirts got a terrible BO odor that I could not get rid of, even with vinegar soaking. I went back to couponing for All Free and Clear.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »
I buzz-cut my dog, which saved around $50. 

I also thought about running out to the grocery store to buy something for dinner, but instead I used what we had and made an awesome dinner: steak, pierogies and roasted carrots and asparagus.

BlackRat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2014, 06:15:24 PM »
Two cups of tea per teabag
... you did say small things ;)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #310 on: February 10, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
I am at a spendy hotel/convention center for work this week.  I got a ride to Wal-Mart before the meeting started and stocked up on coffee, fruit, salad, yogurt and a rotisserie chicken.  I should be able to make it the whole week without going out to eat, saving a ton of money and time, and being healthier, too.  Luckily my room has a fridge and microwave, so it's easy to eat in my room.

I also parked at one of our offices that is near the airport and walked over there to avoid parking fees (my portion would have been $20 since I added two personal days to this trip).

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »
I packed my breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the entire week.  No eating out for me!

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2014, 09:35:39 PM »
 I turned my printer off.  From now on, it will only be turned on when I need to print something then turned off again. 

Jan

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #313 on: February 10, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
I just made vegetable stock from freezer scraps, but then I accidentally poured 2/3 of it down the kitchen drain. Oops.

At least I didn't buy all new vegetables to make the stock with...?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2014, 08:59:44 AM »
I just made vegetable stock from freezer scraps, but then I accidentally poured 2/3 of it down the kitchen drain. Oops.

Thread hijack:  How do you make vegetable stock from scraps?  All of the recipes that I found on the internet start from full vegetables.  How much stuff do you need?  How long to cook it?  Do you avoid putting anything in it? 

I brewed tea in my office instead of buying it from loose leaf tea that was a gift. 

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #315 on: February 11, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
Just simmer whatever veggies scraps you have handy for a few hours, and then take out the big chunks.  Some people say to not use onions, as it makes the stock bitter.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:53 AM »

Thread hijack:  How do you make vegetable stock from scraps?  All of the recipes that I found on the internet start from full vegetables.  How much stuff do you need?  How long to cook it?  Do you avoid putting anything in it? 

I brewed tea in my office instead of buying it from loose leaf tea that was a gift.
I usually have a bag in the freezer going of veggie scraps to throw in the next time we make stock.  Doesn't add a whole lot, but I like the idea of actually getting use out of what would have been just tossed.

Anti-ComplainyPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »
I'm thinking this counts as a small thing, but I'm taking medium-level credit for it.

For Valentine's Day I want to give my girlfriend an amethyst that I've had my entire life, I've decided to place it in a pendant and give that to her.

I went to a jewelry store and was quoted $90 for a sterling silver setting and for them to set my gem in it. I shopped with my middle finger and instead bought the same setting on Etsy for $6 (shipping included). I picked up some jewelry pliers for $7, and set the gem myself. And now, I'm going to return the pliers. (Also bought the chain on Etsy, ~$10).

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #318 on: February 12, 2014, 03:58:02 AM »

I don't buy any additional full vegetables for my stock--just scraps! Usually potato peels, onion skins and butts, carrot peels and butts, bell pepper bits, celery butts and some tops. Actually that's probably it; I'm not super adventurous with my veggies. I don't put broccoli bits in the stock pot because I actually eat all of the broccoli, but I've also read that it makes stocks bitter. Likewise for cauliflower. However, someone else posted that onions make stocks bitter, and I don't find that to really be the case.

Does my stock always taste the same? Nope. Always a different ratio of veggies, and sometimes different veggie scraps are thrown in. Is there pesticide in my stock? Probably. Bahaha! But I do try to wash things thoroughly before I use them.

Okay, so method:

Take a big pot. Dump frozen veggie scraps in the pot. Mostly cover with water. Get water to boiling. Turn heat down to low. Simmer for 40 minutes! Too long and vegetable stock does get bitter; it takes way less time than meat stocks. Strain scraps out. Recycle food waste if you live in Korea, or compost scraps if you're a superstar. The end.

I recommend trying it out. If you don't like the end product, all you've done is wasted less than an hour of your time, some water, and the electricity/gas it took to heat the pot.

Things I use my stock for: cooking rice with more flavor, stir fry, base for vegetable soups.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #319 on: February 12, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »
Honestly, if I do vegetable stock, I intentionally put in onions, because I heart onions.  But I've heard on a diff. thread here from a few people that said not to.  I don't intend to stop, but maybe my broth is secretly bitter and I just don't notice?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: February 12, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »
Thanks!  I'll start stockpiling my vegetable scraps in the freezer.  nikki, Thank you for the detailed instructions.  I'm just learning how to cook, so the basics are new to me. 

This morning I made a breakfast sandwich at home instead of buying the pre-made microwavable ones.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: February 12, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »
Some people say to not use onions, as it makes the stock bitter.

People say this about onion peels (not the insides), but I'm not sure it's actually true since I use them and have never had a problem. Maybe I'm missing those taste buds, or am not using the same kind of onion.

What they will for sure do is turn the stock a slightly darker brown than if you hadn't used the peels, but if it tastes good I don't really care what color it is.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:52:21 AM by Russ »

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #322 on: February 12, 2014, 09:49:49 AM »
-Used the free tax advisors at the library.
-Went to the local dental school clinic for 50% off.
-Downloaded audio book from the library online site.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #323 on: February 12, 2014, 10:04:14 AM »
 I love reading everyone's "small" money saving adventures!
 - Repackaged a knife set  that was not up to my standards to return to costco (Thank God I kept the packaging!) - $150.00
 - Sold random collection of war history books from Uni days - $40.00
 - Made a big batch of double stuffed green potatoes - mostly from leftover bits in the fridge -  that are super yummy and will save us from wanting to go out to eat tonight before our board meeting.
 - Started culturing water kefir again - almost free probiotics!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #324 on: February 12, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
Last night, not today: made the dogs some gravy from drippings from our chili (half TVP, but added some ground beef) instead of going to get canned dog food. The cans serve as "gravy" on their kibble anyway.

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #325 on: February 12, 2014, 03:33:54 PM »
Called the waste management company and changed the size of our garbage container. Was surprised at the price difference... ads up to 92.28 per year. Like it!

Fred123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #326 on: February 12, 2014, 07:56:12 PM »
i commuted from bedroom to home office, so saved gas, time, freeway aggravation.  I walked to the store instead of driving to pick up some dried lentils for $1.29, which can be cooked and added to a couple of meals.   I wore 'at home' clothes instead of freshly-laundered shirt, suit and tie dress-up.    I did all work on-screen instead of printing anything.   I found a better way to get discounts on some purchases.    I use one organic soap instead of all the fru-fru shampoos, conditioners, etc.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #327 on: February 12, 2014, 09:14:35 PM »
Returned a cookbook for a full refund when I realized the recipes in it are mostly online (and my neighbor has a copy should I really need it).

Biked the kids to school.

Brought my husband the lunch that he had left at home.

Did some research and did not buy junket rennet for cheese making (potentially wasting a gallon of milk).

Bought eggs and milk at Costco rather than at grocery store.

Am going to dye my hair at home tonight, thereby saving $110!

Returned and checked out books at the library.

Read about using taxact to file taxes, sounds cheaper than turbotax.

savehardretireearly.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #328 on: February 13, 2014, 04:40:20 AM »
I work at a restaurant PT, and get to eat for free when I'm there. I worked there last night. I didn't eat all day until I got there and kind of pigged out. This has been saving me a ton of money in groceries!!!! I barely buy any food anymore, and am able to increase my savings!!

I also shower, use gym towels (save in laundry), blow dry, and straighten my hair at the gym everyday. Save money in heat & electricity!!!

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #329 on: February 13, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »
I work at a restaurant PT, and get to eat for free when I'm there. I worked there last night. I didn't eat all day until I got there and kind of pigged out. This has been saving me a ton of money in groceries!!!! I barely buy any food anymore, and am able to increase my savings!!

I also shower, use gym towels (save in laundry), blow dry, and straighten my hair at the gym everyday. Save money in heat & electricity!!!

Great perk. You are killing the savings!

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #330 on: February 14, 2014, 04:18:25 AM »
I shoveled my own snow!  Getting a workout (with a lot of breaks) and saving $20+ by not paying someone else!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #331 on: February 14, 2014, 08:58:03 AM »
Nothing yet this morning, but yesterday I used my time waiting for the plane by going through the weekly grocery ads and making a shopping list.  Then I walked the mile from the airport back to where I'd parked my truck for free even though it was 10:30 at night and I could have taken a cab and had my work reimburse me for it.  Felt good after sitting on a plane for 6 hours anyway.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #332 on: February 14, 2014, 09:57:25 AM »
All week we've been eating what can only be known as "winter garden scraps" soup for dinner. It is mostly the leftover greens, onions, peas, carrots etc. that didn't make the cut for eating fresh and then I added potatoes to the first batch and beans to this second batch to make it a little more hearty. With some chicken stock for flavor and blending until creamy, it turned out great! I'm proud of how much smaller our grocery bill will be this month. I think this will get us through about 10 dinners.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #333 on: February 14, 2014, 12:20:54 PM »
Just "upgraded" cable internet speeds to save $10/month for at least 12 months.  Hopefully I can downgrade within a few days to save even more. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #334 on: February 14, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
Canceled a magazine subscription that I no longer find useful. saved 28.00 a year plus got a refund of 2.33.

On that note, if you happen to subscribe to bon appetit or another one of the Codenaste magazines - if  you log in and say you wish to cancel, they'll offer to give you two more issues for free to keep you - Didn't work for me, but interesting to note.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #335 on: February 14, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »
I cooked some salmon before work this morning so that I'd have a lunch to bring in today, even though I did not feel like cooking salmon at 6am :)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: February 14, 2014, 05:34:22 PM »
I took a nap instead of driving anywhere.   I woke up and the stock market had closed near record highs.
Lifetime of coupon clipping doesn't equal just todays earnings.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: February 14, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »
I wrote to the student newspaper that's often delivered to my workplace.  I said I noticed it hadn't been arriving for the past couple weeks and that I hoped it would return as I enjoyed reading it.

But I really just want the free crossword puzzle in it.

(Maybe this would be better in a Mustachian Confessions thread.)

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #338 on: February 14, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
I was too tired to make dinner and thought about ordering pizza or chinese. Instead I cooked up 3 packs of ramen noodles, drained it and mixed in some leftover ground pork and veggies. It was yummy and didn't cost a thing since we already had it.

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #339 on: February 15, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »
I was too tired to make dinner and thought about ordering pizza or chinese. Instead I cooked up 3 packs of ramen noodles, drained it and mixed in some leftover ground pork and veggies. It was yummy and didn't cost a thing since we already had it.

LOVE your avatar!

Anti-ComplainyPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »
I just canceled the collision coverage on my car insurance, lowering my monthly bill by $25-$30 a month.

It's going to suck way more now if I ever get into an accident, but I never have before and the car only cost me $3700 anyway.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #341 on: February 15, 2014, 06:22:40 PM »
The yogurt was about to expire. Too much to eat. Put it in the muffin mix.

Unfortunately, I ruined the muffins. Now I'll have to make a trifle or something.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #342 on: February 15, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »

Unfortunately, I ruined the muffins. Now I'll have to make a trifle or something.

Yogurt is a fermented product, I listen to my eyes and nose and taste buds when determining if it is expired. Usually lasts us a month or more past expiry date no problem. You can buzz it up with some fruit and pour into popsicle molds for cheap treats.

Also if it is just plain yogurt without any additives, you can share with your dog, if you have one. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #343 on: February 15, 2014, 07:10:43 PM »

Yogurt is a fermented product, I listen to my eyes and nose and taste buds when determining if it is expired. Usually lasts us a month or more past expiry date no problem. You can buzz it up with some fruit and pour into popsicle molds for cheap treats.

Also if it is just plain yogurt without any additives, you can share with your dog, if you have one.

Can, but exercise caution, because the cleanup can be a stone bitch once the sharing is done. Yogurt does not agree with either of my favorite Great Danes, and let's just say they're large dogs with proportionate GI tracts. You don't want to know more.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #344 on: February 15, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »

Thanks.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #345 on: February 15, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »
Planted lettuce, spinach, turnips, beets, carrots and radishes in the greenhouse today, and will start a bunch of other seedlings tomorrow.

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Stop looking at my personal text, gosh
« Reply #346 on: February 15, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »
I slept until 5:30 pm so I wouldn't be tempted to drive anywhere/do anything. (that's a lie, I just slept too long.. but it worked!! Muwahaha)

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #347 on: February 16, 2014, 03:44:02 AM »
We live in the metro-Baltimore area, and there is a retirement community on the west side of the city called Charlestown.  This past weekend, they hosted their semi-annual Treasure sale, and we went as a family.
Most folks moving into this community are downsizing exponentially, and their leftover furniture, housewares, clothes, etc go into the Treasure sale.  Charlestown uses the proceeds to reduce the fees for residents.

Yesterday, you could stuff as much clothing into a standard grocery bag as you wanted for $5.00.  Our haul?  Dress for my wife, three polo shirts for me, Eddie Bauer sweater, skirt and blouse for my eldest, tweed jacket for me, and lots of other pieces.  Worked out to about $.63 per each item in the bags (We filled two bags, my Mother In Law also added to one of the bags).

Heartily recommend this sale if you are ever in the Batimore area!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2014, 04:14:32 AM »
I slept until 5:30 pm so I wouldn't be tempted to drive anywhere/do anything. (that's a lie, I just slept too long.. but it worked!! Muwahaha)

I have lived in areas so far from a city they were overrun with deer. To get to the restaurants or any kind of shopping at night was like running the gauntlet. The risk of getting hit by a suicidal fawn would increase with each trip. [One of them eventually did total my car, and there were a number of near misses.]

There were no nocturnal impulse buys for me. Saved some cash.

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Stop looking at my personal text, gosh
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2014, 05:14:06 AM »

I have lived in areas so far from a city they were overrun with deer. To get to the restaurants or any kind of shopping at night was like running the gauntlet. The risk of getting hit by a suicidal fawn would increase with each trip. [One of them eventually did total my car, and there were a number of near misses.]

There were no nocturnal impulse buys for me. Saved some cash.

I live in the same kind of area, it takes at least 20 minuets to drive anywhere so mundane errands or simple outings become a bigger time and financial commitment. I guess that's why I just give up and sleep some days!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!