Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3225209 times)

jengod

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3100 on: April 11, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
* Participated in a historic family cemetery cleanup; had a nice time visiting with friends, made memories with my son, and came away with five bags of soft mulch for my garden, a succulent that was mistakenly chopped up that I can try to resuscitate, and last enjoyed a nice lunch provided for the volunteers.
* Played two board games with my son--both were free gifts from the neighbors, whose own kids had grown out of them
* Used up some shredded chicken and aging tortillas to make my first-ever homemade taquitos. Yum!
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Reading with children pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer | Babies Need Books by Dorothy Butler

Rumball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3101 on: April 11, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »
paid 3 bills online, rather than mailing them in, saving, like, what $1.50 (who even knows what a stamp costs these days)

skipped daily coffee at convenience store ($1.00 saved)

started setting things up to pay mortgage with Target red card (who knew this could really work), thus getting amex points  my 1k/mo mortgage payment.  (2% of every dollar spent gets funneled into my Fidelity Roth IRA; meaning that I will end up with around $240 in that account at the end of the year, all for taking about 10 minutes to set this up)

louloulou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3102 on: April 11, 2015, 07:34:33 PM »
I have been wanting a new pair of shoes- like a casual street shoe. Had not seen anything yet. Yesterday I was in a charity shop, spotted some new looking shoe boxes, turns out a local shoe shop had donated some of 'last years style' street shoes. Brand new $200 shoes for $20. Thank you very much! I was not intending to pay $200 for shoes but it still probably saved me $50.

onwisconsin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3103 on: April 11, 2015, 07:35:55 PM »
*Listening to the Grand Old Opry on the radio for free entertainment tonight with my DH!
*put a hold on a 7 hour Zig Ziglar seminar from the radio rather than paying for it!

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3104 on: April 11, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
*  Renewed amazon prime with my .edu email address to get the student rate (yay!)

Be warned: they may ask for a copy of your student ID for proof. (Been there.)

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #3105 on: April 11, 2015, 09:25:27 PM »
I put my husband's student loan on auto-deduction which saves a part of a percentage point on interest. I used to really, really hate auto deductions and only used them when forced, but I'm kind of starting to come around. I should have done this long ago, but better late than never.

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #3106 on: April 11, 2015, 11:39:13 PM »
Repaired a broken solder joint in the 12V cig lighter power supply/transmitter cord for DW's MP3 player.
Double win because it's a free repair that will allow her to resume listening to free audiobooks from the library during her work commute.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3107 on: April 12, 2015, 04:02:00 AM »
Got my dad to help me fix my bike :-)

auntie_betty

• Stubble
« Reply #3108 on: April 12, 2015, 05:09:47 AM »
Fitted 6 shelves in wardrobe in holiday-home-probably-permanent-home-sooner-than-expected rather than get handyman to do it or fork out around 100 for ready made ones. Accomplished it despite walls being out and only having a hacksaw (hardware store cut roughly to size but needed bits taken out for wardrobe frame and lack of right angles). Total cost of 29. 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #3109 on: April 12, 2015, 06:59:37 AM »
Spent the day at the flea market visiting friends I hadn't seen in awhile and selling my wares. Only sold just enough to be make it worth my time, but I have lots of potential orders, a few very promising ones, and one of which will be around a $700 sale. Most of my sales are custom things, so I'm not too surprised. It was my first flea market too, so I learned a lot.

Brought my lunch with me so I wouldn't have to pay for a crappy hot dog or expensive crappy drink. I only brought a sliced apple and sliced cucumber and a little yogurt, so I was hungry by the end of the day, but I managed. :)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3110 on: April 12, 2015, 07:42:19 AM »
Fixed my ipod!!! $300 saved :-)
Also chose "local pick up" an online order (of something I needed, not just crap)  saving $27 in shipping charges (probably spent $4 in petrol, but was able to combine the pick up with dropping in at a friend's place for a beer, so seeing a friend, and free beer = win, win, win!).
In other wins this week, got all my paperwork together for opening a stockbroking account, will drop these in the mail on the way to work tomorrow and went to a free concert featuring Jimmy Cliff (a favorite of my dad)... he hadn't been aware of it so I got massive "great daughter brownie points" and an inexpensive night out (we bought some snacks and used petrol so it wasn't completely free, but very cheap).

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #3111 on: April 12, 2015, 07:49:43 AM »
I love Jimmy Cliff!

Saved last of spring mix from wilting. Sorted out bad bits and rinsed rest. Had salad and enough for one tomorrow too.
Ate leftovers, pasta and sauce.
Ate at home.
Thawed pumpkin from last fall to bake with.
Pantry and freezer are getting more spacious as we eat things up.

Onwisconsin - how do you like Thredup?  Do you get cash or credit?  If you get clothes, how do you know they will fit?

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #3112 on: April 12, 2015, 08:22:05 AM »
*sent bag of clothes to ThredUp

*washed towels, line-dried

*did fridge inventory, made calendar to use up all meat before next Costco run

*made batch of sriracha deviled eggs to finish up eggs, had for lunch

*planned next month's dinners in order to save money at Costco

*stopped at Dollar Tree and Big Lots in order to compare prices on "feminine needs" - realized that Amazon Subscribe and Save is a better deal.

*unsubscribed from Netflix DVDs and Netflix streaming (checked and saw our library has the TV series we like to watch); unsubscribed from Audible (library also has downloadable audio books)

*unsubscribed from 4 magazines:  all they do is make me want to spend money

*began sensitive diplomatic conversation with DH about switching from pricey Starbucks French Roast (from Costco) to Folgers (we're retiring in a year and are in hard-core savings mode).  I don't think I'm going to win this one.

That is quite a change in coffee quality.  Do you have a Woodman's close by?  Check out the 8 O'clock coffee brand.  I believe they have a French Roast and have great prices, especially if you can stock up when they have deals. 

wordnerd

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3113 on: April 12, 2015, 11:01:52 AM »
Made my own hummus from dried chickpeas. Unfortunately, I broke my (cheap) blender in the process, but I guess if I continue to make my own hummus I'll come out ahead in the end :)

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #3114 on: April 12, 2015, 11:38:24 AM »
*began sensitive diplomatic conversation with DH about switching from pricey Starbucks French Roast (from Costco) to Folgers (we're retiring in a year and are in hard-core savings mode).  I don't think I'm going to win this one.

Have you thought about trying the sneaky approach.  Gradually add the inexpensive ground to the expensive (95%/5%, 90/10, 80/20) until he comments or until you've reached the 100% mark then quit putting it in the expensive can and just tell him he's been drinking the "cheap" stuff for X number of days/weeks whatever without noticing.  If he notices in the above 50/50 mix then the switcheroo may not be possible.  But its worth a try.

Better Late Than Never

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3115 on: April 12, 2015, 12:03:04 PM »
Finally have a day where it is warm enough to turn the heat off and open the doors and windows. It's colder inside than outside, but it feels great to air out the house!

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3116 on: April 12, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »
* $40 more dollars in online clothing consignment (this time from Twice).
* Washed 6 plastic bags for re-use. Working on a homemade contraption to make drying them easier.

onwisconsin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3117 on: April 12, 2015, 01:35:52 PM »
I love Jimmy Cliff!

Saved last of spring mix from wilting. Sorted out bad bits and rinsed rest. Had salad and enough for one tomorrow too.
Ate leftovers, pasta and sauce.
Ate at home.
Thawed pumpkin from last fall to bake with.
Pantry and freezer are getting more spacious as we eat things up.

Onwisconsin - how do you like Thredup?  Do you get cash or credit?  If you get clothes, how do you know they will fit?

I'm opting for the cash (saving up for down payment) but I buy most of my clothes online from Lands End so I'd know what the correct size is at Thredup (they carry that brand).

onwisconsin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3118 on: April 12, 2015, 01:39:36 PM »

*stopped at Dollar Tree and Big Lots in order to compare prices on "feminine needs" - realized that Amazon Subscribe and Save is a better deal.

*unsubscribed from Netflix DVDs and Netflix streaming (checked and saw our library has the TV series we like to watch); unsubscribed from Audible (library also has downloadable audio books)

That is quite a change in coffee quality.  Do you have a Woodman's close by?  Check out the 8 O'clock coffee brand.  I believe they have a French Roast and have great prices, especially if you can stock up when they have deals.

Thanks for the reminder of 8 o'clock - we've had it and liked it.  Also like LakeMom's idea too :)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #3119 on: April 12, 2015, 01:45:10 PM »
Figured out a dish to bake with zucchini and spinach that were getting close to expiring. Will work for lunches for the week.
Walked to my meeting today.
Cereal for lunch to use up milk that has 2 more days before it goes bad.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3120 on: April 12, 2015, 02:18:59 PM »
*  went for a long, long walk this morning for exercise (instead of driving to free gym)
*  found one penny on the ground during my walk :)
*  freezing questionable produce so it will last a bit longer
*  watching free videos on youtube while cleaning the house and doing meal prep for the week

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3121 on: April 12, 2015, 02:56:59 PM »
What a shame!  I have kept my Ottawa library membership as a non-resident, and I can take out anything - books, CDs, DVDs, e-books, kill-a-watts.  And do.  It is $50/year, but saves me a bundle in money I would otherwise have to spend - even buying second-hand at our local used book store can get expensive.

This all makes up for going to sign up for a non-resident's card at the library where my current contract is, on the understanding that I could use their amazing e-book and e-movie services. Paid the fee and then found out they are changing the license to city residents' only. They refunded the fee, but I was very sad.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3122 on: April 12, 2015, 04:18:36 PM »
Ate all meals in yesterday, resisting the temptation (and DD's pleas) to go out for lunch.  We had eaten out on Saturday while out getting new glasses for DH and DS -- an inexpensive meal of great Xinjiang food from a hole in the wall place we stumbled across -- and I let DD order pizza for herself/DS the night before since she agreed to pay for it with her own money, so that was plenty of eating out for the weekend. 

Reviewed my insurance plan summary and saw that vision exams and glasses are now listed as 100% reimbursable.  Have emailed them to confirm when this started, as we all had eye exams at the end of 2014, and have gotten new glasses/contacts between then and now.  Potentially the full $1400+ I have paid for everything is reimbursable now, versus just a portion under the old option (up to $275/person in reimbursement from my employer directly).  So that would be an extra $300, and it will be nice to have that hit + the rest owed the account in the next few weeks as I prepare to wind up work.
Wherever you go, there you are

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3123 on: April 12, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »

If you have Ikea near you I can fully recommended their home brand coffee. Here in Australia it's $4 for a 250g packet (about half the price of a decent brand and equal to the cheapest crappiest supemarket brands) and its great! Everyone I serve it to who visits comments how great it is!
Of course not everyone has a convenient Ikea, but if you do its great. You need to grind it yourself, I got the grinder super cheap at Kmart. It only has one setting but does the trick.

Better Late Than Never

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3124 on: April 13, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »
- We had warmer weather again today. I was able to turn the heat off and open the doors and windows to warm up the house.
- Signed up for automatic checking withdrawal for my sewer bill. I would have liked to do an online credit card payment to earn cc rewards, but there is a $4.50 fee for cc payments, so ACH it is. Savings - 4 stamps and 4 envelopes per year - about $2
- Received a free travel size body wash in the mail.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3125 on: April 13, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »

Went to look for new running shoes to transition into for an upcoming race - had put aside $50 to pay for this (cheaper shoes are awful on my knees for longer races) - visited the clearance rack, no luck, found a pair at Target for $40 (decent), popped back past the clearance on the way out, and at the back, spotted a pair - hideous colour (why are womens running shoes always pink and purple?) - but reduced from $50 to $25, with 25% discount on top - total cost of $18.75! Used $17 I had left on a gift card, paid $1.75 total! Saved $21.25 just by looking around. 
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

mabinogi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3126 on: April 13, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »
1) Called my insurance company (State Farm) and increased my comprehensive and collision deductibles to $500, which will save us about $10/month. I also added roadside assistance on our primary vehicle for virtually no cost - with two little kids, this will be worth the peace of mind.
2) I packed up a bag of my clothes and shipped it off to ThredUp for resale. This is the first time I've tried this, so I don't know how much to expect, but undoubtedly it will be more than I'd get by giving them to the thrift store!

wordnerd

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3127 on: April 13, 2015, 06:53:41 PM »
Got reimbursed for parking at an in-town work conference, which I've never done before. It seemed petty or not worth the effort before, but it was very easy and saved me $13.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3128 on: April 13, 2015, 09:03:26 PM »
Earned $20 for a survey.

Ate at home all day - didn't spend money anywhere.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #3129 on: April 13, 2015, 10:23:55 PM »
Avoided buying any food away from home. I realized, in fact, that I DO NOT WANT junk food anymore. AT ALL. Since the beginning of the year I have had a "no food purchased at work" rule (I work in a drug store) which I've broken occasionally but for the most part kept. As it turns out, work was about 90% of my junk food/candy consumption, with church and things that friends bring to our house being the other 10%. Absent that stuff, I've lost my taste for it. I know I don't want any junk food. I know I'll just feel crappy if I do have it. It's easier and easier to ignore the voice in the back of my head that says "Hmm, some Cheetos could be good" because it's silenced by an increasingly louder voice saying "No, they wouldn't, you just think they would be but you actually won't enjoy them once you have them."

Took advantage of a sale on shaving products to save $2 on the shave gel my husband likes.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #3130 on: April 13, 2015, 11:14:18 PM »

I do miss Woodman's!  That place had the best deals on everything! 

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #3131 on: April 13, 2015, 11:18:50 PM »
1) Called my insurance company (State Farm) and increased my comprehensive and collision deductibles to $500, which will save us about $10/month. I also added roadside assistance on our primary vehicle for virtually no cost - with two little kids, this will be worth the peace of mind.
2) I packed up a bag of my clothes and shipped it off to ThredUp for resale. This is the first time I've tried this, so I don't know how much to expect, but undoubtedly it will be more than I'd get by giving them to the thrift store!

Let us know how it goes!  I really am considering this, but I keep thinking I will list things on eBay or something. Also I worry if they don't want them, then I will lose the opportunity to get anything for them at all.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3132 on: April 13, 2015, 11:41:37 PM »

Exactly! In fact, my small thing for the day was another $38 earned in online clothing consignment. I'm up to $166, with 1 more bag still to be processed. I'm quite pleased.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #3133 on: April 13, 2015, 11:55:43 PM »
Got $800 from the state, that was mine from before on the unclaimed property website. Nice!! Took 10 min and I have another claim pending. Check out my journal post for details.

Made pales pumpkin bars with frozen pumpkin from the fall. Really good taste and texture. With walnuts and chocolate chips.

Brought lunch today.

Went to Greek Easter party yesterday and ate tons of food for free. Seriously, they roasted a pig and a lamb and so much other food. Brought host a bottle of Greek wine we already had as a gift.

onwisconsin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3134 on: April 14, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »
Went to Aldis instead of regular grocery store and spent $45 rather than the budgeted $75.

Went to Costco to buy the 7 1/2 dozen egg pack (I pickle eggs for lunches) and some epsom salt for my newly diagnosed torn hip flexor.  Picked up my Rx at the Costco pharmacy for said hip flexor for $0 (grateful for good health insurance).  Successfully resisted the $30 summer Sac handbag that I was considering which is on sale at Costco.

Was dying for a Coke Zero, so went through the BK drive-in (not good) and got into a friendly conversation about flavored Coke Zero Orange with the cashier who offered me two free sausage biscuits that someone else drove off without, so I took them home to my husband who likes them :)

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3135 on: April 14, 2015, 12:04:27 PM »
We had a pretty frugal day yesterday:

* Went four days without spending anything (granted, for two nights we were camping in the middle of the woods.)

* Broken tent pole, repaired with a splint made from duct tape and a broken arrow shaft found near the camp site. Tent as good as new.

* Made a strawberry cake using frozen strawberries from last summer, and two loaves of French bread (for tuna melts). Dinner was youngest son's request, since it was his birthday, and it's cheaper than going out!

* Oven freaked out on us last night -- kept heating up and wouldn't turn off without unplugging it. DH did some online research, pulled out the control unit, and reset it. It seems to be working now. If it craps out again, he now knows how to replace the part that would be the issue.

* Was gifted two pairs of scout pants/shorts and official socks by a friend, who's son had outgrown them. This will save me $50+, since elder son needs them for his leadership camp this summer.

* Switched to a per-mile car insurance company. We don't drive very much, an average of 20 miles weekly. This should save us money and encourage us to walk to nearby destinations more. (Such as walking to our favorite nearby trail system that's 2 miles away, instead of driving to the trailhead...)

* Spent the evening in, crafting while DH fixed the stove. I made a bunch of plastic canvas Minecraft swords and paint chip Creeper bookmarks for this weekend's birthday party pinata.

* Reserved some books online from the library. Younger and I will walk to the library to pick them up and by the store (for a few party supplies) today. We'll probably also stop off by the park, where I will do some knitting as he plays.

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #3136 on: April 14, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »

* Went four days without spending anything (granted, for two nights we were camping in the middle of the woods.)

* Broken tent pole, repaired with a splint made from duct tape and a broken arrow shaft found near the camp site. Tent as good as new.

* Made a strawberry cake using frozen strawberries from last summer, and two loaves of French bread (for tuna melts). Dinner was youngest son's request, since it was his birthday, and it's cheaper than going out!

* Oven freaked out on us last night -- kept heating up and wouldn't turn off without unplugging it. DH did some online research, pulled out the control unit, and reset it. It seems to be working now. If it craps out again, he now knows how to replace the part that would be the issue.

* Was gifted two pairs of scout pants/shorts and official socks by a friend, who's son had outgrown them. This will save me $50+, since elder son needs them for his leadership camp this summer.

* Switched to a per-mile car insurance company. We don't drive very much, an average of 20 miles weekly. This should save us money and encourage us to walk to nearby destinations more. (Such as walking to our favorite nearby trail system that's 2 miles away, instead of driving to the trailhead...)

* Spent the evening in, crafting while DH fixed the stove. I made a bunch of plastic canvas Minecraft swords and paint chip Creeper bookmarks for this weekend's birthday party pinata.

* Reserved some books online from the library. Younger and I will walk to the library to pick them up and by the store (for a few party supplies) today. We'll probably also stop off by the park, where I will do some knitting as he plays.

Would love to see pictures of your party favors you made!
The Honest Yam - Frankly, career change and chow
https://thehonestyam.wordpress.com/

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3137 on: April 14, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »
I ripped out the 20 watt (each, times six lights) halogen puck lights under our kitchen cabinets and put in some LED strips (12 watts total). They should pay for themselves after a two years, plus these won't melt the stuff we put in the cabinets and heat up the kitchen when they're on.

The other small thing I did today was actually ride my damn bike to go do an errand. I needed to get a different screwdriver to take down the old system, so I rode the half mile to the hardware store instead of drove. Feels good :)

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #3138 on: April 14, 2015, 04:32:15 PM »

Wait, what?    Per mile insurance is a thing?  I drove my truck all of 1900miles last year, but paid for normal 12000mi. insurance.  Is this something every insurer offers, or is it a specialty product, like classic car agreed value insurance?   <sorry for threadjacking>

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3139 on: April 14, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »

Wait, what?    Per mile insurance is a thing?  I drove my truck all of 1900miles last year, but paid for normal 12000mi. insurance.  Is this something every insurer offers, or is it a specialty product, like classic car agreed value insurance?   <sorry for threadjacking>

Well most insurers will ask how much you drive the car and give you a lower rate for lower miles.  But in some states, per mile insurance is a thing.  Just google your state + "per mile insurance"

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3140 on: April 14, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
Had a few small successes today:

- Found a 20% discount code for Scrivener. Have been planning on purchasing for a while so I can get organized.
 - Found the free wordpress "jetpack" plug-in which does loads of awesome stuff - including a fun bit of code that allows a non-mobile responsive themed website to be responsive. This is going to (for now) save me hundreds of dollars and/or untold hours of angst as I can focus on content creation and not having to have to do a full site redesign right away.
 - have the heat turned off in the house, except a space heater in my office where I'm working.
 - Planning on making breakfast for dinner to use up some leftovers :)

No-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3141 on: April 14, 2015, 07:02:11 PM »
-It's rainy all week here so I'm planning on no heat/air.
-National Library Week celebration! Free food (two meals) at work and leftovers for home. Plus we have our quarterly birthday party tomorrow. :)
-No spending today.
-Decided to make June "bare bones budget" month. No spending except fixed expenses and what I need to actually live through the month.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3142 on: April 14, 2015, 11:30:33 PM »
-hung a load of laundry to dry in the free air
-baked a batch of buns for dinner
-hand washed a load of dishes instead of using the dishwasher
-unplugged devices once they were charged
-drove the vehicle that is better on gas to run an errand

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3143 on: April 15, 2015, 03:30:36 AM »
Making lasagna today which requires a long bake in a slow oven.  So I turned off the heat to the rest of the house since I was going to be in the kitchen anyway and that was heated by running the oven.

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #3144 on: April 15, 2015, 06:23:44 AM »
For yesterday:

- No spend day (our credit cards were paid through auto-debit, but we consider that money already spent).
- Crockpot taco bowls from Budget Bytes for dinner. I have lunch for the rest of the week!
- Made an oatmeal mason jar for breakfast this morning. It didn't look like much, but man oh man am I full right now!
- Unplugged the fan in the bedroom each morning after we turn it off (individual fan > running A/C).
- Got the results of dropping our DVDs with Netflix - down to $7.99, for a monthly savings of $9!
- Cleaned the shower/tub using baking soda, lemon juice, and a wee bit of dish soap. Still cheaper than "normal" cleaners, and works awesome.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3145 on: April 15, 2015, 07:00:59 AM »
Was a bit late this morning (due mostly to having to come in two hours early for a meeting - I am not at all a morning person!) so didn't have time to pack up lunch and decided that rather than being more than ten minutes late, I could cycle home for once. If I cycled home for lunch I'd have about fifteen minutes before I'd need to leave and cycle back again and that'd be enough to eat, I reckoned. So I did, which means I've gotten extra exercise today and actually an even nicer lunch than it would have been because I heated up the leftover pulled pork before assembling it with loads of salad and a small amount of cheese in a wrap. So good. Even though it's sweltering (well, it's 23 degrees, which for me counts as hot) outside, it was really lovely to have something hot to eat in the middle of the day.

And even more glad that I went home in the middle of the day because some insurance documents had arrived in the post so I could read through them while eating and have them with me now to sign and send off on the way home this evening. One more thing crossed off the list - technically it's something that's going to cost me money but the peace of mind I already feel is totally worth it.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3146 on: April 15, 2015, 07:13:38 AM »
Made herbed cheese spread with cream cheese and cottage cheese from Aldi and fresh herbs from my garden (basil, thyme, dill, oregano, chives) and spread it on Aldi mini bagels for breakfast.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3147 on: April 15, 2015, 08:42:45 AM »

Yep, it's a thing! You pay a low monthly flat rate and then a per mile rate on top of that. They track your miles with a little plug in device. There's a few companies that offer it; we went with Metromile. When I figured the cost over the entire year, we were going to come out about $200 ahead for the year. The most miles they can charge you for in a day is 150, so even our once annual vacation drive (about 400 miles each way) would only cost us $6 at 2 cents a mile. They do have an annual limit on mileage. Can't remember it off the top of my head, but we fell well within the limit.

Iknowiyam -- I'll try and get some pictures up later!

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3148 on: April 15, 2015, 08:45:06 AM »

Yep, it's a thing! You pay a low monthly flat rate and then a per mile rate on top of that. They track your miles with a little plug in device. There's a few companies that offer it; we went with Metromile. When I figured the cost over the entire year, we were going to come out about $200 ahead for the year. The most miles they can charge you for in a day is 150, so even our once annual vacation drive (about 400 miles each way) would only cost us $6 at 2 cents a mile. They do have an annual limit on mileage. Can't remember it off the top of my head, but we fell well within the limit.

I had no idea this was a thing either. I already cut my insurance costs in half a couple of years ago, but considering how little my car gets used (not even 3000 miles/year), this could be very helpful. Thanks, Joshin and dragoncar!

Big small things yesterday:
* Opened a brokerage account with Vanguard.
* Moved a rollover IRA into a new traditional IRA.
* Moved savings money to a brokerage account.

Today:
* Trying local haircut place that reduces price by almost half if you skip the blow-dry.
* Using up frozen red cabbage from last summer in dinner tonight.

ETA: For anyone looking at Metromile, FYI: their home page says it's for people who drive 10,000 miles/year or less. But it's only in a few states so far: "We see you're interested in a quote, but we're currently only offering insurance in California, Illinois, Oregon, and Washington...." That's not to say other companies won't do it, though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:48:29 AM by ShaneD »

onwisconsin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3149 on: April 15, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »
This is so small it barely warrants mentioning but it was a big victory for me - I've been dealing with a hip injury and I have a business function I'm attending with my DH on Friday night and I was so tempted to go and just have someone else give me a manicure but I watched some trashy TV and did it myself.