Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020845 times)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3100 on: April 13, 2015, 09:03:26 PM »
Earned $20 for a survey.

Ate at home all day - didn't spend money anywhere.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #3101 on: April 13, 2015, 10:23:55 PM »
Avoided buying any food away from home. I realized, in fact, that I DO NOT WANT junk food anymore. AT ALL. Since the beginning of the year I have had a "no food purchased at work" rule (I work in a drug store) which I've broken occasionally but for the most part kept. As it turns out, work was about 90% of my junk food/candy consumption, with church and things that friends bring to our house being the other 10%. Absent that stuff, I've lost my taste for it. I know I don't want any junk food. I know I'll just feel crappy if I do have it. It's easier and easier to ignore the voice in the back of my head that says "Hmm, some Cheetos could be good" because it's silenced by an increasingly louder voice saying "No, they wouldn't, you just think they would be but you actually won't enjoy them once you have them."

Took advantage of a sale on shaving products to save $2 on the shave gel my husband likes.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #3102 on: April 13, 2015, 11:14:18 PM »

That is quite a change in coffee quality.  Do you have a Woodman's close by?  Check out the 8 O'clock coffee brand.  I believe they have a French Roast and have great prices, especially if you can stock up when they have deals.

I do miss Woodman's!  That place had the best deals on everything! 

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #3103 on: April 13, 2015, 11:18:50 PM »
1) Called my insurance company (State Farm) and increased my comprehensive and collision deductibles to $500, which will save us about $10/month. I also added roadside assistance on our primary vehicle for virtually no cost - with two little kids, this will be worth the peace of mind.
2) I packed up a bag of my clothes and shipped it off to ThredUp for resale. This is the first time I've tried this, so I don't know how much to expect, but undoubtedly it will be more than I'd get by giving them to the thrift store!

Let us know how it goes!  I really am considering this, but I keep thinking I will list things on eBay or something. Also I worry if they don't want them, then I will lose the opportunity to get anything for them at all.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3104 on: April 13, 2015, 11:41:37 PM »
2) I packed up a bag of my clothes and shipped it off to ThredUp for resale. This is the first time I've tried this, so I don't know how much to expect, but undoubtedly it will be more than I'd get by giving them to the thrift store!

Exactly! In fact, my small thing for the day was another $38 earned in online clothing consignment. I'm up to $166, with 1 more bag still to be processed. I'm quite pleased.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #3105 on: April 13, 2015, 11:55:43 PM »
Got $800 from the state, that was mine from before on the unclaimed property website. Nice!! Took 10 min and I have another claim pending. Check out my journal post for details.

Made pales pumpkin bars with frozen pumpkin from the fall. Really good taste and texture. With walnuts and chocolate chips.

Brought lunch today.

Went to Greek Easter party yesterday and ate tons of food for free. Seriously, they roasted a pig and a lamb and so much other food. Brought host a bottle of Greek wine we already had as a gift.

onwisconsin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3106 on: April 14, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »
Went to Aldis instead of regular grocery store and spent $45 rather than the budgeted $75.

Went to Costco to buy the 7 1/2 dozen egg pack (I pickle eggs for lunches) and some epsom salt for my newly diagnosed torn hip flexor.  Picked up my Rx at the Costco pharmacy for said hip flexor for $0 (grateful for good health insurance).  Successfully resisted the $30 summer Sac handbag that I was considering which is on sale at Costco.

Was dying for a Coke Zero, so went through the BK drive-in (not good) and got into a friendly conversation about flavored Coke Zero Orange with the cashier who offered me two free sausage biscuits that someone else drove off without, so I took them home to my husband who likes them :)

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3107 on: April 14, 2015, 12:04:27 PM »
We had a pretty frugal day yesterday:

* Went four days without spending anything (granted, for two nights we were camping in the middle of the woods.)

* Broken tent pole, repaired with a splint made from duct tape and a broken arrow shaft found near the camp site. Tent as good as new.

* Made a strawberry cake using frozen strawberries from last summer, and two loaves of French bread (for tuna melts). Dinner was youngest son's request, since it was his birthday, and it's cheaper than going out!

* Oven freaked out on us last night -- kept heating up and wouldn't turn off without unplugging it. DH did some online research, pulled out the control unit, and reset it. It seems to be working now. If it craps out again, he now knows how to replace the part that would be the issue.

* Was gifted two pairs of scout pants/shorts and official socks by a friend, who's son had outgrown them. This will save me $50+, since elder son needs them for his leadership camp this summer.

* Switched to a per-mile car insurance company. We don't drive very much, an average of 20 miles weekly. This should save us money and encourage us to walk to nearby destinations more. (Such as walking to our favorite nearby trail system that's 2 miles away, instead of driving to the trailhead...)

* Spent the evening in, crafting while DH fixed the stove. I made a bunch of plastic canvas Minecraft swords and paint chip Creeper bookmarks for this weekend's birthday party pinata.

* Reserved some books online from the library. Younger and I will walk to the library to pick them up and by the store (for a few party supplies) today. We'll probably also stop off by the park, where I will do some knitting as he plays.

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #3108 on: April 14, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »

* Went four days without spending anything (granted, for two nights we were camping in the middle of the woods.)

* Broken tent pole, repaired with a splint made from duct tape and a broken arrow shaft found near the camp site. Tent as good as new.

* Made a strawberry cake using frozen strawberries from last summer, and two loaves of French bread (for tuna melts). Dinner was youngest son's request, since it was his birthday, and it's cheaper than going out!

* Oven freaked out on us last night -- kept heating up and wouldn't turn off without unplugging it. DH did some online research, pulled out the control unit, and reset it. It seems to be working now. If it craps out again, he now knows how to replace the part that would be the issue.

* Was gifted two pairs of scout pants/shorts and official socks by a friend, who's son had outgrown them. This will save me $50+, since elder son needs them for his leadership camp this summer.

* Switched to a per-mile car insurance company. We don't drive very much, an average of 20 miles weekly. This should save us money and encourage us to walk to nearby destinations more. (Such as walking to our favorite nearby trail system that's 2 miles away, instead of driving to the trailhead...)

* Spent the evening in, crafting while DH fixed the stove. I made a bunch of plastic canvas Minecraft swords and paint chip Creeper bookmarks for this weekend's birthday party pinata.

* Reserved some books online from the library. Younger and I will walk to the library to pick them up and by the store (for a few party supplies) today. We'll probably also stop off by the park, where I will do some knitting as he plays.

Would love to see pictures of your party favors you made!

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3109 on: April 14, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »
I ripped out the 20 watt (each, times six lights) halogen puck lights under our kitchen cabinets and put in some LED strips (12 watts total). They should pay for themselves after a two years, plus these won't melt the stuff we put in the cabinets and heat up the kitchen when they're on.

The other small thing I did today was actually ride my damn bike to go do an errand. I needed to get a different screwdriver to take down the old system, so I rode the half mile to the hardware store instead of drove. Feels good :)

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #3110 on: April 14, 2015, 04:32:15 PM »

Wait, what?    Per mile insurance is a thing?  I drove my truck all of 1900miles last year, but paid for normal 12000mi. insurance.  Is this something every insurer offers, or is it a specialty product, like classic car agreed value insurance?   <sorry for threadjacking>

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3111 on: April 14, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »

Wait, what?    Per mile insurance is a thing?  I drove my truck all of 1900miles last year, but paid for normal 12000mi. insurance.  Is this something every insurer offers, or is it a specialty product, like classic car agreed value insurance?   <sorry for threadjacking>

Well most insurers will ask how much you drive the car and give you a lower rate for lower miles.  But in some states, per mile insurance is a thing.  Just google your state + "per mile insurance"

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3112 on: April 14, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
Had a few small successes today:

- Found a 20% discount code for Scrivener. Have been planning on purchasing for a while so I can get organized.
 - Found the free wordpress "jetpack" plug-in which does loads of awesome stuff - including a fun bit of code that allows a non-mobile responsive themed website to be responsive. This is going to (for now) save me hundreds of dollars and/or untold hours of angst as I can focus on content creation and not having to have to do a full site redesign right away.
 - have the heat turned off in the house, except a space heater in my office where I'm working.
 - Planning on making breakfast for dinner to use up some leftovers :)

No-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3113 on: April 14, 2015, 07:02:11 PM »
-It's rainy all week here so I'm planning on no heat/air.
-National Library Week celebration! Free food (two meals) at work and leftovers for home. Plus we have our quarterly birthday party tomorrow. :)
-No spending today.
-Decided to make June "bare bones budget" month. No spending except fixed expenses and what I need to actually live through the month.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3114 on: April 14, 2015, 11:30:33 PM »
-hung a load of laundry to dry in the free air
-baked a batch of buns for dinner
-hand washed a load of dishes instead of using the dishwasher
-unplugged devices once they were charged
-drove the vehicle that is better on gas to run an errand

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3115 on: April 15, 2015, 03:30:36 AM »
Making lasagna today which requires a long bake in a slow oven.  So I turned off the heat to the rest of the house since I was going to be in the kitchen anyway and that was heated by running the oven.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3116 on: April 15, 2015, 06:23:44 AM »
For yesterday:

- No spend day (our credit cards were paid through auto-debit, but we consider that money already spent).
- Crockpot taco bowls from Budget Bytes for dinner. I have lunch for the rest of the week!
- Made an oatmeal mason jar for breakfast this morning. It didn't look like much, but man oh man am I full right now!
- Unplugged the fan in the bedroom each morning after we turn it off (individual fan > running A/C).
- Got the results of dropping our DVDs with Netflix - down to $7.99, for a monthly savings of $9!
- Cleaned the shower/tub using baking soda, lemon juice, and a wee bit of dish soap. Still cheaper than "normal" cleaners, and works awesome.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3117 on: April 15, 2015, 07:00:59 AM »
Was a bit late this morning (due mostly to having to come in two hours early for a meeting - I am not at all a morning person!) so didn't have time to pack up lunch and decided that rather than being more than ten minutes late, I could cycle home for once. If I cycled home for lunch I'd have about fifteen minutes before I'd need to leave and cycle back again and that'd be enough to eat, I reckoned. So I did, which means I've gotten extra exercise today and actually an even nicer lunch than it would have been because I heated up the leftover pulled pork before assembling it with loads of salad and a small amount of cheese in a wrap. So good. Even though it's sweltering (well, it's 23 degrees, which for me counts as hot) outside, it was really lovely to have something hot to eat in the middle of the day.

And even more glad that I went home in the middle of the day because some insurance documents had arrived in the post so I could read through them while eating and have them with me now to sign and send off on the way home this evening. One more thing crossed off the list - technically it's something that's going to cost me money but the peace of mind I already feel is totally worth it.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3118 on: April 15, 2015, 07:13:38 AM »
Made herbed cheese spread with cream cheese and cottage cheese from Aldi and fresh herbs from my garden (basil, thyme, dill, oregano, chives) and spread it on Aldi mini bagels for breakfast.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3119 on: April 15, 2015, 08:42:45 AM »

Yep, it's a thing! You pay a low monthly flat rate and then a per mile rate on top of that. They track your miles with a little plug in device. There's a few companies that offer it; we went with Metromile. When I figured the cost over the entire year, we were going to come out about $200 ahead for the year. The most miles they can charge you for in a day is 150, so even our once annual vacation drive (about 400 miles each way) would only cost us $6 at 2 cents a mile. They do have an annual limit on mileage. Can't remember it off the top of my head, but we fell well within the limit.

Iknowiyam -- I'll try and get some pictures up later!

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3120 on: April 15, 2015, 08:45:06 AM »

Yep, it's a thing! You pay a low monthly flat rate and then a per mile rate on top of that. They track your miles with a little plug in device. There's a few companies that offer it; we went with Metromile. When I figured the cost over the entire year, we were going to come out about $200 ahead for the year. The most miles they can charge you for in a day is 150, so even our once annual vacation drive (about 400 miles each way) would only cost us $6 at 2 cents a mile. They do have an annual limit on mileage. Can't remember it off the top of my head, but we fell well within the limit.

I had no idea this was a thing either. I already cut my insurance costs in half a couple of years ago, but considering how little my car gets used (not even 3000 miles/year), this could be very helpful. Thanks, Joshin and dragoncar!

Big small things yesterday:
* Opened a brokerage account with Vanguard.
* Moved a rollover IRA into a new traditional IRA.
* Moved savings money to a brokerage account.

Today:
* Trying local haircut place that reduces price by almost half if you skip the blow-dry.
* Using up frozen red cabbage from last summer in dinner tonight.

ETA: For anyone looking at Metromile, FYI: their home page says it's for people who drive 10,000 miles/year or less. But it's only in a few states so far: "We see you're interested in a quote, but we're currently only offering insurance in California, Illinois, Oregon, and Washington...." That's not to say other companies won't do it, though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:48:29 AM by ShaneD »

onwisconsin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3121 on: April 15, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »
This is so small it barely warrants mentioning but it was a big victory for me - I've been dealing with a hip injury and I have a business function I'm attending with my DH on Friday night and I was so tempted to go and just have someone else give me a manicure but I watched some trashy TV and did it myself.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3122 on: April 15, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »
Used up lots of "odds and ends" grains and legumes on mason jar salad lunches. Finished up the quinoa and the black lentils and the gigante beans. Used up a jar of peanut butter. Pretty much turned random ingredients into convenience food! Feeling really good about this!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3123 on: April 15, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »
Used up lots of "odds and ends" grains and legumes on mason jar salad lunches. Finished up the quinoa and the black lentils and the gigante beans. Used up a jar of peanut butter. Pretty much turned random ingredients into convenience food! Feeling really good about this!

That's really cool!  I'm trying to do better at this.

For my lunch and my husband's, I did the same thing.  We split the tiny bit of pasta leftover.  He got the cooked cabbage and the last egg.  I got hummus and veggies and fruit and cottage cheese.

Tonight is beans and potatoes.  Need to prep for tomorrow night though.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3124 on: April 15, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »
Got my taxes done with one of the Federal Free File providers last night, just paid to do state taxes.
Lunch and coffee provided at work.
Renewed my library books online so as not to get hit with fines and realized that I'll have to take one back in person by Friday at the latest. Glad to have realized that now and not Friday night.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3125 on: April 15, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »

Your fridge looks beautiful. I'm in awe of that level of organization. I cook pretty much every day, with a few fend for yourself nights (family of four with two college age kids) but I always feel I'm behind the curve getting everything eaten/prepared in time before it goes bad.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3126 on: April 15, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »
Feeling dizzy from new medication today, so an easy day planned, but still accomplished the following so far:

-hung a load of laundry on the line (thought the fresh air might help .. didn't)

-cooking up a 2 lb pack of ground beef for spaghetti for dinner.

-fed family hard boiled eggs and toast for lunch (a drive thru run crossed my mind while I was hanging laundry, but I quickly deleted it!)

-cut 2 hair of 2 sons (before I got dizzy)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3127 on: April 15, 2015, 04:48:52 PM »
Feeling dizzy from new medication today, so an easy day planned, but still accomplished the following so far:

-hung a load of laundry on the line (thought the fresh air might help .. didn't)

-fed family hard boiled eggs and toast for lunch (a drive thru run crossed my mind while I was hanging laundry, but I quickly deleted it!)

Very wise not to drive until the new med has settled in.  Mustachianism may have saved your life. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3128 on: April 15, 2015, 05:09:58 PM »

Very wise not to drive until the new med has settled in.  Mustachianism may have saved your life. 

HA! Good point!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3129 on: April 15, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »
After hearing about the "good guy" discount on NPR and reading about the same thing in Jeff Yeager's fine book The Extreme Cheapskate's Guide to Real Riches, I got brave today and asked for a discount on a mangled herb plant at the .99c store. (I know I can save the plant but it looked awful.) They gave it to me for half price (50 cents whoohoo!).

This is the second time this week I've gotten a discount just for asserting that I didn't expect to pay full price. I also got $2 off a haircut for my son. (I'd brought a coupon which they said they didn't take at that particular location but they gave me a discount just for trying.)

This is a huge transformation for me. I have historically been terrified of negotiation or price discussions, so I'm proud of myself.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3130 on: April 15, 2015, 07:21:24 PM »
After hearing about the "good guy" discount on NPR and reading about the same thing in Jeff Yeager's fine book The Extreme Cheapskate's Guide to Real Riches, I got brave today and asked for a discount on a mangled herb plant at the .99c store. (I know I can save the plant but it looked awful.) They gave it to me for half price (50 cents whoohoo!).

This is the second time this week I've gotten a discount just for asserting that I didn't expect to pay full price. I also got $2 off a haircut for my son. (I'd brought a coupon which they said they didn't take at that particular location but they gave me a discount just for trying.)

This is a huge transformation for me. I have historically been terrified of negotiation or price discussions, so I'm proud of myself.

That's great. I usually don't think to do those things either.

Sometime around last week, though, I wrote to my credit union asking about a $200 credit I thought I was supposed to get for signing up for a new credit card during a promotion and then spending a certain amount in the first 90 days. They wrote back and said that I hadn't qualified--they'd started counting on the day I applied and I'd started counting from the time I received the card. But they also said that they made an exception for me because I spent it in the first 3 statements, and they gave me the $200 anyway. So I was glad I asked.

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #3131 on: April 16, 2015, 12:24:26 AM »
My soles literally fell off my awesome work boots. So I bought a $4 tube of "Shoe Goo" and glued them back on! An awesome co-worker told me about the stuff, and it has held together really great so far.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #3132 on: April 16, 2015, 10:27:17 AM »
Get a bidet.

TP is way too expensive.

And you are much cleaner and less A.I.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3133 on: April 16, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
Planted the first balcony pot of the season with peas, spinach and radishes, all of which should be fine now that we are within a month of "last frost date."  Used some crushed eggshells and (free) worm castings that I got at the Garden Show last month (free tickets from my real estate agent) to enrich last year's soil in the pot. 

No immediate cost savings, but hopefully I'll be eating radish greens, at a minimum, in just a couple of weeks, and whole radishes and spinach within a month.  I plan to plant another pot, switching out the spinach for swiss chard, in a week, and then another pot, switching out the radishes for lettuce, the following week, and then adding other veg after last frost date (cucumber, tomato, etc).

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3134 on: April 16, 2015, 02:11:24 PM »
Used an Amex Deal for $20 on Amazon (gift card) and got $20 back. Not sure what I'll use the free $20 for, but I'm sure I'll use it at some point.

If you have an amex, check the Deals... you may have the same offer!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3135 on: April 16, 2015, 07:52:41 PM »
Received $2 check for a rebate offer.

Two months ago, I decided that every $5 bill that I came across would go into a designated jar (to eventually be put toward savings).  Today, I took out $100 cash back at the grocery store for "fun money" for the rest of the month - except instead of the usual $20s, the machine gave me it all in $5s!!  I'm not breaking the rule . . . so in the jar it went.  Another $100 saved (sigh).  Fun will have to be free.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3136 on: April 16, 2015, 09:45:37 PM »
* Made a batch of granola
* Prepared a new sourdough starter so we can have homemade sourdough pancakes on Saturday
* Transplanted a volunteer chamomile seedling to a better spot
* SIDE HUSTLE: Bought a book at Goodwill for $2 on Tuesday, resold it online for a $40 profit on Wednesday.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:22:46 PM by jengod »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3137 on: April 17, 2015, 12:04:08 AM »

* SIDE HUSTLE: Bought a book at Goodwill for $2 on Tuesday, resold it online for a $40 profit on Wednesday.

Cool idea! What book was it?

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3138 on: April 17, 2015, 12:47:14 PM »
I'm not breaking the rule . . . so in the jar it went. 

You were very, very good. It really will pay off.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3139 on: April 17, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »
Dug a pkg. of marked-down- approaching-sell-by-date-so-bought-a-lot breakfast sausage out the of the freezer to make fancy "eating out" breakfasts for me and the Hub over the weekend.  Last pkg.  Should have bought more.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3140 on: April 17, 2015, 01:45:31 PM »

Cool idea! What book was it?

This Tasha Tudor-illustrated garden book: http://www.amazon.com/Crockers-Kitchen-Gardens-Crocker-library/dp/0684126133

Tasha Tudor stuff does well generally, and this particular title is out of print.

I specialize in vintage children's books, but gardening is my other interest so it was a nice crossover. (Tasha Tudor is primarily known for her children's book illustrations.) As a general rule this point, I try to limit myself to books I really want to own myself, because not everything sells or sells for what you would hope.

Generally book reselling is hard to do, but with the Amazon app on your phone can scan the barcode quickly to see if something might be worthwhile. Current-edition textbooks are the most profitable.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3141 on: April 17, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
Received $2 check for a rebate offer.

Two months ago, I decided that every $5 bill that I came across would go into a designated jar (to eventually be put toward savings).  Today, I took out $100 cash back at the grocery store for "fun money" for the rest of the month - except instead of the usual $20s, the machine gave me it all in $5s!!  I'm not breaking the rule . . . so in the jar it went.  Another $100 saved (sigh).  Fun will have to be free.

Wow!  That is impressive!

My actions today: 
1.  Dug out a couple boxes of long accumulated wine/beer bottles, etc to return for deposit tomorrow
2.  Completed medical claim form to mail in for reimbursement
3.  Filled in most of my work expenses for reimbursement - will be going to work shortly so will finish it and photocopy receipts while there
4.  Making sure to have things plugged in only as long as needed to charge, turning power bars off when not using them
5.  Ate breakfast and lunch at home, as well as coffee, so I won't be tempted to stop for anything on the way to work

Yesterday:
My phone fell out of my pocket while walking the dogs, at night, in the park.  Aargh!  I thought I knew where I might have lost it, and went back to look.  1/2 hour of searching later, I was so tempted to give up - the phone is still under contract, but the screen is cracked and the battery doesn't hold a charge well anymore.  But I recently checked and it would cost about $150 to buy out the rest of my contract.  No!  I thought of all the pictures (sob), contact info, etc that I would lose, and I went back home, got a flashlight, went back out.  Another 20 minutes of searching, and yay!  It was found!  As soon as I got home, I found the USB cord and spent an hour figuring out how to transfer my photos to my laptop, thus potentially sparing myself a future expense if the phone dies and I need help to get the photos off it.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3142 on: April 17, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »
* Had a bunch of people to catch up with in the city, but the trip costs over $20 in transportation and takes 90+ minutes each way. So I scheduled everyone on the same day, and basically held court all day at a couple of places while they rotated in and out. A 5-hour stretch of it cost me only 1 cup of coffee.

* Sold a book for $40.

* Last online clothing consignment processed for another $20, so all told, made over $180.

* Picked up a penny. :)

Mirwen

• Stubble
« Reply #3143 on: April 17, 2015, 07:18:04 PM »
A few days ago I bought an Ooma Telo from amazon.  Today they put another version (with wireless adapter) on sale.  I chatted with them and they gave me a $20 gift certificate for price match even though it wasn't the exact same item.

I'm pleased I tried to get the sale price even though they could have denied me.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3144 on: April 17, 2015, 09:04:30 PM »
Walked to and from the pub last night. (Would normally have bused there for $1.50 and cabbed back for $12). Stuck to just two drinks :-) going to the pub isn't exactly a frugal activity but at least I am doing it as cheaply as possible :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3145 on: April 17, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »
I'm trying to use up food that's in the house since I'll be traveling for work next week and DH basically doesn't cook when I'm gone.  Roasted a chicken with carrots, and threw some chickpeas leftover from making hummus in with the carrots.  Kind of odd, but tasted good.

We had a salad with the first lettuces and radishes from the garden.  Hoping to avoid buying salad greens for a while.

Opened up the windows since it was warmer outside than inside.  Heat has been off for about a month now, with just a couple wood fires on chilly nights. 

Didn't spend any money today.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3146 on: April 17, 2015, 10:24:34 PM »
* Started a new levain a couple of days ago (free yeast is frugal!) and used it to make two respectable boules tonight. I'm teaching myself to make bread and this was my third and most successful attempt yet. At least my crusts are getting better!

* Found $0.27 on the street.

* Cashed in $2.20 in recycling

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3147 on: April 17, 2015, 11:40:57 PM »
Today: got massively fed up with the state of my desk. Deep cleaned and organized. Found a hoard of gift cards ranging in value from 19 cents to $63.63. Total of all cards together was $310. One gift card was something my husband got as swag years ago at a corporate conference. It was for a company we'd NEVER use, so we sold that $25 GC online for about $22.00 in Amazon credit. Since we do much of our shopping on Amazon, this is great for us. The rest will be very handy for holidays, kids birthdays and the like. 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3148 on: April 18, 2015, 06:13:58 AM »
Took advantage of a casino promotion (yay NJ?). Deposit $30-$300, if you lose 90% they'll reimburse your deposit completely. This means guaranteed $3-$30 if luck isn't on your side, higher if it is. Put $300 in expecting to get the free $30, and ended up with $57.55 instead. I'll take it!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3149 on: April 18, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »
I was just getting up this morning, when I got a call from the church where I work.  The kids (and parents and teachers) were there for steel band practice, and the caretaker wasn't there to let them in.  The teacher who has a key is away this weekend - probably assumed that the caretaker would be there.  I had to dash over to let them in - immediately!  (They are performing tonight and could not afford to miss out on any practice time.)

Unfortunately, this meant I was on the road without having had any caffeine yet.  And there is a Tim Horton's on my way home ...

I saw the danger coming, and deliberately moved into the left lane early, escaping the vortex that exists at the entrance to their parking lot.  Changing lanes, for the mustachian win!   

(And by the way, the coffee that I made at home, along with rye bread and PB, was delicious!)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!