Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020811 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6200 on: May 10, 2016, 06:40:29 AM »
Forget if I posted this, forgive me if I already did! Hold your face punches, please, I know it's expensive. But our dog is our baby... whine.

What we had been doing. Monthly: Bubble bath, with ears, teeth brushing/gel, anal gland expression, nail clipping and grinding, hypoallergenic shampoo, and comes home stuffed full of organic freeze dried liver treats. $25, plus $5 tip, so $30.
I already knew this was expensive, but we kept doing it, because denial our dog loves the place, always comes back so so soft, and they're great with her nails- when we got her (rescue), they were grown in a circle back into her paw pads. They've worked the quick back so they're almost normal, but 3 are still very funky and hard to work with.
Last month when we went in, they told us they were raising her price $10! So now we would be looking at $40 per month. That I just couldn't swallow, so it finally pushed me to change to...

Monthly: just nails, $10. I bathe her at home. Still need to figure out teeth cleaning and anal glands though. Sigh. Her breed is not notorious for cooperation with grooming!

This $30 savings per month will partially offset our $100 rent increase starting July or August. (PS- don't move to Portland guys. I am elated about a $100 increase, since it could have been so much worse. DO NOT MOVE HERE. I beg you).

Teeth brushing is easy enough. Anal gland expression shouldn't be done routinely though- it can cause soft tissue trauma and can stop the gland working effectively on its own. Maybe just have it done if the glands get impacted/blocked? Most dogs are fine without it though.

This. With my old golden retriever, we would know it needed to happen when she'd start dragging her tush over the grass. Looked absolutely ridiculous.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #6201 on: May 10, 2016, 06:48:23 AM »
- Sold some baby gear on kijiji

- Walked quite a bit yesterday instead of taking the bus (even though it was unseasonably cold and I was not dressed for it)

- Leftovers for lunch yesterday, today and tomorrow

Fishinshawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6202 on: May 10, 2016, 02:35:51 PM »
I cut my own hair and made left over chicken fajitas and rice for lunch today. Also walked my kiddo to school instead of driving.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6203 on: May 10, 2016, 02:47:21 PM »
Was pouring when I left the house. Normally, rain = take the bus to the train station because sitting on a freezing train with wet shoes/pants is miserable and I'm not hardcore. Today, however, I just went the long way (subway -> urban commuter bus). It's 2 hours (as opposed to 1:40), but I only paid subway/bus fare ($2.50) instead of bus+train ($2+$5.50). And I stayed much drier.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6204 on: May 10, 2016, 06:31:11 PM »
* Got my free Zippo repair back from the factory; they replaced the insert, returned the old broken one and included two extra flints. I packed the old broken insert (for parts) and all my extra Zippo stuff (fluid, wicks, flints) in an old coffee can and put it away for future fixes.

* Found a like-new Emile Henry dutch oven at the thrift shop for $10. Been hoping to find a second dutch oven so I can make two sourdough boules at the same time (using the ovens as proofing baskets first). Wish me baking luck!

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6205 on: May 11, 2016, 10:14:11 AM »
Good luck with your baking, jengod!!

Yesterday I hung laundry on the line instead of using the dryer for a couple of loads.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #6206 on: May 11, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
We only needed produce for groceries this week, so DH walked to our local market instead of driving to the grocery store.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6207 on: May 11, 2016, 10:50:16 AM »
Had to bring my wife's car in to get the rear wheel bearings replaced and the repairs were free since the car is still under warranty. While I was there, I got a free breakfast of coffee and donuts in their waiting room, so basically they paid me to get the car repaired. Going there and back required no gasoline since the car is a plug-in hybrid and I know how to hypermile. The electricity to run the car didn't cost anything either due to our solar panels. Then I got home and cashed out a completely free $10 comp for Caesars Entertainment from Social Rewards to use for our Vegas vacation this summer. That should get us a bit of free food. I like free stuff.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6208 on: May 11, 2016, 12:46:58 PM »
Out of town for work next week. Today I'm going to WalMart to buy cheap frozen meals for hubs to prevent gratuitous pizza ordering while I'm gone. Will be making him a huge batch of slow cooker pulled pork as well.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6209 on: May 11, 2016, 04:59:26 PM »
Reduced my internet expense by about 57%.  Moved from Comcast cable to a Sprint WiFi hot spot.  We loose TV but that is no big deal.  We do not watch much anyway and can move to streaming if necessary.

Edit: My actual saving is much more as long as I keep working because they reimburse part of my internet expense.  The reimbursement is capped and only covered about half of my Comcast bill.  It will cover 100% of my new bill.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:02:45 PM by Threshkin »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6210 on: May 12, 2016, 07:37:25 AM »
I've been in a hotel all week for work and brought my own coffee making supplies, but ran low on grounds for this morning's last cup, so I opened up a Keurig pod and added it to my grounds instead of hitting g Starbucks to get a reasonably strong cup.  Also brought food and have only been out to eat twice since Sunday night.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6211 on: May 12, 2016, 03:23:56 PM »
Babysat a neighbor's kid. She paid me, so I guess it's not exactly "saving," but I deposit all checks directly into my Ally account, so it kind of is!

Argues (politely) with the tire place when they tried to charge me $70 instead of the $20 they quoted me in the fall to move Mr. FP's TPMS sensors from one set of rims to the other.

TootTootBeepBeep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6212 on: May 13, 2016, 07:51:28 AM »
You guys! I'm so stoked! I just replaced my passenger mirror on my car door with the help of YouTube! It involved ordering the new mirror and taking apart my car door to install, but it was no problem! It took a total of 30 minutes and i feel like a freaking superhero! MMM has empowered me to ask "why can't it do this myself?" and with all these awesome YouTube videos I totally can... AND SO CAN YOU!!!

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6213 on: May 13, 2016, 10:00:22 AM »
I picked up a dollar I found on the ground.

I ate free breakfast at a work meeting.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6214 on: May 13, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
My prof has been bringing in snacks to share. I skipped then the first week. I'm eating well and losing weight. No need for snack food.  Then I remembered I have two big trips coming up when snack packages will be desirable. Now I'm working on building a little collection of cookies and crackers!  Today he had raisins out along with cookies.  They were in my grocery list. I brought 2 packets home and made a nice batch of granola. May put off grocery shopping another week. 

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6215 on: May 13, 2016, 08:03:20 PM »
Took my lunch to work every day this week.

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6216 on: May 14, 2016, 06:30:05 AM »
You guys! I'm so stoked! I just replaced my passenger mirror on my car door with the help of YouTube! It involved ordering the new mirror and taking apart my car door to install, but it was no problem! It took a total of 30 minutes and i feel like a freaking superhero! MMM has empowered me to ask "why can't it do this myself?" and with all these awesome YouTube videos I totally can... AND SO CAN YOU!!!
That hella rocks TootTootBeepBeep! MMM has been similarly inspirating for me, but this fix is badass!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6217 on: May 14, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »
mixed up some single acting baking powder from baking soda and cream of tartar I had already instead of buying a new container. This cream of tartar expires this year and I only use it for one occasional recipe.  Happy to use it instead of having to toss it out.

hiker_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6218 on: May 15, 2016, 09:41:22 AM »
My housemate is out of town so I unplugged the modem and water heater. I shower at the gym anyway so I don't need hot water at home. I plug the modem in only in the evenings. The refrigerator, the microwave, the stove and my alarm clock are the only appliances that are still plugged in.

I packed a big container of hearty vegetable soup and brought it to work on Monday. I ate from that bowl all week and didn't eat lunch out.

I focused on eating down my pantry and avoiding grocery stores.  I love cooking and I often think of new combinations that require "just one" more ingredient, which often leads me to stopping at a grocery store on weeknights and leaving with a whole grocery bag instead of that one item. Yesterday, Saturday, I did stop by the grocery store but left with only green beans and one jalapeno, for a total grocery bill of $3.49 for the week.   

The freezer is now half empty. Half of that is beans that I cooked from scratch and froze this week.  Today, Sunday, I made an Indian chickpea dish called channa masala for work lunches. For dinner, I am stretching a canning jar of pasta meat sauce by adding black beans, sriracha sauce, and high fiber white whole grain pasta to turn it into a spicy, meaty, and filling soup.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:45:57 AM by hiker_girl »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6219 on: May 15, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
Remembered to use our 2x fuel points coupon at Fred Meyer today.  Limited vegetable purchases based on veggies starting to come in from the garden.

I'm cooking a turkey breast sous vide, and using the carcass part to make stock for green soup from various garden veg, so almost free pot of soup.

Opened the house up and turned on fans last night instead of turning on the A/C.

Did much of our grocery shopping at CostCo, which was cheaper for capers, cottage cheese, artichoke hearts and butternut squash, none of which I've bought there before.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6220 on: May 16, 2016, 12:36:49 PM »

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6221 on: May 16, 2016, 04:15:29 PM »
I added my UK accounts on Mint so I can see my total spending better. It doesn't do currency conversion, but still good to see where things are going.

Lunch was leftover cheese, sausage, and crackers that I bought for a potluck picnic over a week ago. That's been lunch a lot of days lately, and I've had omelets with leftover cheese and sausage. I'm getting a little tired of it, but it's still nice, filling, and quick.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #6222 on: May 18, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »
I'm celebrating! Through a combination of using a rebate site at work for office purchases (with my bosses permission) as well as signing up for a new credit card using the same site, I have earned just over $140 dollars the past few months. I'm leaving it in my PayPal account to pay for the next 14 months of Netflix! I'm going to keep working the rebates and hopefully without any cost to me, I will be able to get free Netflix permanently.

I also picked up a ridiculous deal on extra lean ground beef. Packages that were marked $11 originally were marked down to $4.$$ and then had a further 30% off because they were dated to expire in two days. Add to that I got an additional 20% off using my grocery points card. I bought quite a few to freeze, the grocery clerk that was stocking the shelf told me it was a crazy deal because they had accidentally ordered way too much. Score for me!

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #6223 on: May 18, 2016, 07:25:51 AM »
I biked to work today.  I was running late and in a rush to get out the door and realized that I did not have time to pack my lunch as I usually do.  So I grabbed a few snack items from the fridge and called it good enough, hoping there would be random food in the break room at lunch and figuring that if it came down to it I could buy a sandwich from the little lunch counter in the neighboring building.  Obviously that would not be saving money but I do it rarely enough that I was going to let it slide today.

But my Mustachian subconscious was there to protect me from making a stupid prepared lunch purchase!  I got to work and realized I had also forgotten my wallet.  Thus, what easily could have been a non-mustachian spendy day became an unexpectedly more-mustachian-than-usual day of mostly fasting. 

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6224 on: May 18, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
I didn't go to my office, so I didn't pay $6 to park. :)

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #6225 on: May 18, 2016, 11:16:53 AM »
Dug a container of previously frozen curry lentils out of the freezer to have over rice for lunch today.  Also packed an extra homemade smoothie for an afternoon snack.  Free coffee, as usual . . . and free gym tonight.  Should get away with no money spent today :)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #6226 on: May 18, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »
Biked to work for the first time today (changed jobs in February to a closer office and today was the first day that it was over 0 degrees when I woke up). Got lost a little on the way, but it only took 50 minutes. Going home should be all downhill or flat so should be even quicker. Yay!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6227 on: May 18, 2016, 11:50:44 AM »
Planted 5 sugar maples and 3 hickory trees: free.

Having a forestry tech in the family means phone calls along the lines of "hey, we have too many trees for this project. Want any?" It's great, especially since we built our house and are in the process of doing landscaping... :)

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6228 on: May 18, 2016, 01:40:53 PM »
I accidentally wore a pair of jeans that have a hole worn through in the inner thigh/crotch area to work today.  (I kept them for working in the yard, etc.)  Thought about driving home and changing, but instead improvised a fix with duct tape so I wouldn't end up mooning people.  So I saved time and gas money! 

I should write a book: "Mending your clothes with office supplies"

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6229 on: May 18, 2016, 01:45:50 PM »

Here's a tip for your book, free of charge: fixing a black leather belt with electrical tape works, but only for a couple of days.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6230 on: May 18, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »
I'm taking an Ed2Go class. I was looking at my local community college, but googled for reviews and found out prices vary. I searched a bunch of CCs until I found one with a price nearly half that of mine.

Pretty happy about that. Made the class go from questionable value to probably worth it.

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6231 on: May 18, 2016, 06:00:24 PM »
I'm finally getting into the swing of things again. Applied for my bank's cash back credit card today, which will save money going forward. Finalized which health insurance I am selecting -- increase in monthly payment, but so happy to have access to health care. Worked on my weekly grocery list.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #6232 on: May 19, 2016, 06:52:23 AM »

Here's a tip for your book, free of charge: fixing a black leather belt with electrical tape works, but only for a couple of days.

My tip:  You can fix a tie that is losing its stitching with a stapler.  Also only a temporary solution.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6233 on: May 19, 2016, 07:53:44 AM »

Electrical tape also works when the sole of your shoe falls off at a wedding and your BIL is an electrician and has a role of tape in his car.  But it turns your foot black and sticky.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #6234 on: May 19, 2016, 01:43:25 PM »
Technically it was yesterday, but here we go:
I was craving, CRAVING sugars, and I entered in 2 dépanneurs to buy a Twix or an ice cream sandwich, but I couldn't accept their exploitative prices, so I waited until I was home and I ate a mango, and it was sweet and delicious and perfect

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6235 on: May 20, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »
Totally off topic - how did you get the é?  Copy from Word?  Something easier?  So nice to see dépanneur spelled properly.

I was craving, CRAVING sugars, and I entered in 2 dépanneurs to buy a Twix or an ice cream sandwich, but I couldn't accept their exploitative prices, so I waited until I was home and I ate a mango, and it was sweet and delicious and perfect.

jordanread

« Reply #6236 on: May 20, 2016, 07:19:47 AM »
Totally off topic - how did you get the é?  Copy from Word?  Something easier?  So nice to see dépanneur spelled properly.

I was craving, CRAVING sugars, and I entered in 2 dépanneurs to buy a Twix or an ice cream sandwich, but I couldn't accept their exploitative prices, so I waited until I was home and I ate a mango, and it was sweet and delicious and perfect.

Try this. And I have no idea what a dépanneur  is.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6237 on: May 20, 2016, 07:38:27 AM »

The Quebecois equivalent of a bodega? I have no idea outside of NYC-based references.

Like, the store that's open earlier and later than all the other stores and where you stop by to get milk or bread or chips or beer or soda or emergency supplies at like 11pm when all the other stores are out and you realize you're out of coffee and milk and cat food.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6238 on: May 20, 2016, 07:45:53 AM »
Well I would have said depp.  I had no frame of reference when I moved to Ontario - what is a 7-11?  Listening to students use 3 languages in one sentence does things to the brain (I taught CEGEP for many years).

Thanks for the link.

The Quebecois equivalent of a bodega? I have no idea outside of NYC-based references.

Like, the store that's open earlier and later than all the other stores and where you stop by to get milk or bread or chips or beer or soda or emergency supplies at like 11pm when all the other stores are out and you realize you're out of coffee and milk and cat food.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6239 on: May 20, 2016, 01:03:32 PM »

My tip:  You can fix a tie that is losing its stitching with a stapler.  Also only a temporary solution.

Staples also work on a falling hem on pants. They look better if you staple with the top of the stapler on the inside - bottoms of staples look a little like stitches. Lasts until you wash the garment, but garment will survive better if you remember to remove the staples prior to washing machine.

Also, a sharpie solves a deep scuff on black shoes and similar.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6240 on: May 20, 2016, 09:21:17 PM »
I bought a wifi sprinkler timer with the watersense feature.  It cost $100.  But my local water conservatory district is offering a $100 rebate.  So free!  Also.  It will kill the sprinklers/garden irrigation if it's been raining anyway.  So I'll save money on my utilities as well!

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #6241 on: May 20, 2016, 10:26:29 PM »
Today I DIY replaced my house water heater. Saved about $500 compared to paying a plumber.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6242 on: May 21, 2016, 03:41:16 AM »
I ordered a used, discontinued, and unlocked UK smartphone from Amazon today for £53.02. I have a US version of the same phone (Moto G, 8GB), which I still use for VOIP over Wi-Fi, so I added a blue replacement back for £1.29 to keep from mixing them up. Free shipping for everything. The thing is I'm not sure if this is saving money or wasting it since there are some low end smartphones available new for less.

I'm planning library outings today to make sure my books are in on time and to pick up new books for next week. Plus a church outing, also free. And I've been car-free for almost 4 months now.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6243 on: May 21, 2016, 08:32:17 AM »
After looking at thrift for a new belt for about two weeks and not finding anything as nice as my broken belt, I finally fixed my belt.  Sheesh.

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6244 on: May 21, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »
Today I DIY replaced my house water heater. Saved about $500 compared to paying a plumber.

wow *thumbs up* very moustachian!

I bought icecream at the supermarket for 1,69€ for a big container, instead of getting a cone for 1,20€.
Later on, I will sew new covers for our couch pillows. Bought cloth instead of new pillows.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #6245 on: May 21, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »
Thank you! It took about seven hours and that included a parts run. It felt great when there were no gas or water leaks when I turned the gas and water back on.

CintranGhola

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6246 on: May 21, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »
Just mended my two "work" cardigans - the seams were falling apart.  I bought both last year and in the past I would have totally just thrown them out and bought new ones.  Busted out some thread and a needle for the first time since Girl Scouts and they look good as new.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6247 on: May 21, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »
Bought good compost and mulch at 50% off. Am now driving to a place that's 20 minutes away but has fruit trees for half the price as the places near work - definitely worth the detour! Hopefully, in3-5 years, we'all have an independent fruit production to complement our vegetable garden.

I spent some time at the pottery wheel throwing pots, and am paying 3$/pot to glaze and bake them. I will then use them to make beeswax candles - some for us, some for gifts, some to sell.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #6248 on: May 23, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »
I'm jumping on the sewing and mending bandwagon. I mended one pair of jeans (wore through the crotch area with all that bicycling) and am sewing another.

My patches are a slightly different color but, eh, ask me how much I care about what my clothes look like when I'm FIRE and never have to work another day in my life.

Next up: darning the worn heels in several pairs of Smartwool socks, as the rest of the sock is fully intact.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6249 on: May 23, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »
I'm jumping on the sewing and mending bandwagon. I mended one pair of jeans (wore through the crotch area with all that bicycling) and am sewing another.

My patches are a slightly different color but, eh, ask me how much I care about what my clothes look like when I'm FIRE and never have to work another day in my life.

Next up: darning the worn heels in several pairs of Smartwool socks, as the rest of the sock is fully intact.

I actually mend my jeans from the INSIDE to make the patches less noticeable. Something to consider for the next pair!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!