Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021003 times)

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13500 on: December 16, 2019, 11:19:43 AM »
I closed my post office box instead of paying the $92 annual renewal for next year.  I was using it for payments from my side consulting business, but these days my clients mostly want to Venmo me, so I was just spending time and gas going there to collect mostly junk mail.  When I filled out the change-of-address screen to forward that junk to my home address, afterward it took me to a bunch of coupons because I'm "moving", so I might even save more than the $92.  It would have been better if I'd known that yesterday when I did a bunch of Christmas shopping on Amazon though, since one of the coupons was 10% off Amazon.

Calimerostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13501 on: December 16, 2019, 11:33:21 PM »
I have a senseo coffee machine. I use to buy the pods on amazon for $0.30 each.
Today I bought the 2lbs coffee beans (French toast smells delicious) at grocery outlet for $9.99 and put the ground coffee in a reusable pod.
That will make the cup of coffee for $0.07 instead (and eco friendly with less packaging)
Should reduce my yearly coffee cost by $300 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13502 on: December 17, 2019, 08:19:51 AM »
-Charged electric car for free at work
-Found a free book on the giveaway table at work. I'll take that on vacation

In not yet financially effective news, I continue to chase Lowes over a door project that has taken 6 months. Yesterday, the remaining three doors came & .... another one was broken. We are supposed to receive a discount. It's clear that most people would have tapped out by this point & given up, due to the enormous amount of pain that this project has provided for no clear reason. Not me. Still chasing them.

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #13503 on: December 17, 2019, 09:17:28 AM »
Found a great deal on snow tires on Kijiji.  Got almost brand new tires, OEM rims with tire pressure sensors (that work) for about 40% of what it would have cost me for new.  Even got them installed for free!!!  Safety and cost savings :)

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13504 on: December 17, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
About to head off to work on my bike, and noticed that my front tire was flat.  I briefly considered driving to work.  Then I realized - again - that driving for short trips is stupid, wasteful, and less enjoyable or beneficial to my health, and I fixed the flat (small nail that looked custom-made to cause bike flats) and rode to work.  Took a bit longer than usual since I was doing it in a cold and cramped garage, but better there than on the side of the road.  Tonight I'll go patch the tube.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13505 on: December 18, 2019, 09:18:10 AM »
My persistence finally paid off big time - been searching for eight months. Our monster tree removal job got quotes from $5K to $2.5K at best. We were ready to go for the middle quote of $3.7K but I searched one more time and found a young, hungry company to do the job for $1800.
They did a good job too.

We keep taking advantage of grocery coupons wherever we find them, BOGO's and going to Aldi for groceries. We've been waiting for the Jumbo Tiger Shrimp to appear again - not cheap but oh so good and well, jumbo, they taste sweeter, amazingly more like lobster.

Scored - my favorite perfume - $10 coupon - just in time for Christmas:).

Finally received our coupon from Nellie's eggs for a free carton of eggs. (Saved the UPC codes and mailed them in - netted us only a couple of free cartons a year, but hey:).

From the garden:
1. Harvested limes off my lime tree yesterday. YAY!
2. Celery is almost ready - I keep on harvesting the leaves to throw in all the veggie dishes and salads - the flavor is so much stronger than store-bought, it is almost spicy. The next roast will have the first young celery stalks.
3. Harvesting Swiss Chard to go with the roast today - along with free homegrown sweet potatoes from Mr. R.'s colleague's dad at work.
4. I'm thrilled I got new baby plants for free from my African Blue Basil - they don't seed at all, but I laid a low branch into a pot and weighted it down with a stone, watered well and voila - six weeks later a fine healthy plant. Doing the same with the Lavender right now.
5. Had some old Dill seeds - varying types some going all the way back to 1998 - lo and behold - they all came up. I'll give some to my friend for pickling and enjoy the rest as a pretty garden plant as well as dry enough to fill my empty old spice glass jar from McCormick. Free spices is always a good thing.
6. Trying endive and leeks for the first time - so far it is all doing well.
7. Tomorrow I'll pick peppers to freeze - peppers freeze astoundingly well and keep their flavor.

The garden will also provide a few Christmas presents for some of our friends and family.
1. Freshly harvested organic produce for a talented cook.
2. Moroccan Mint tea - Lemon Verbena tea - It will be fun to present in a cool package. I happen to have a lot of cardboard jewelry boxes, and once the leaves are dried I can put them into a mini sealed bag for freshness.   
3. May try to make Aloe Vera lotion and Lavender sachets this weekend.
4. A planter box filled with Endive - Dill - Lemon Balm - for a young couple taking a stab at going Vegetarian/Vegan. All cold-weather plants that will do well in Florida only until the end of spring.

Found a three-pound bag of coffee beans-yay on clearance while I was X-mas shopping and scored on some lovely, fancy windchimes for my garden friends.

Speaking of X-mas - we are eliminating one-third of the gift-giving this year as we agreed on last year and going to one less gathering. Less stress, more like the holidays I know from my childhood.
It is so nice to get away from the craziness and excessive gifting of just that one extra gathering. A huge relief, I like for the holidays to be a calm and relaxing, reflective time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:48:07 AM by Rosy »

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #13506 on: December 18, 2019, 02:40:50 PM »
Over the last two days, my son and I replaced the windshield washer fluid line and nozzles on my car, and changed the 5-year-old rear windshield wiper. In all, it cost about $120 in supplies, but I'm hoping that's still cheaper than paying someone, plus DS and I learned a lot. (And spent two priceless hours giggling together.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13507 on: December 18, 2019, 08:20:31 PM »
Used four free meal passes at a local restaurant, so a free dinner out.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13508 on: December 19, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »
Used a gift card at the coffee shop
Used a rewards certificate from ink and toner recycling for 50% off paper needed for the office
Found a dime on the ground ;)
Saved $36+ at the grocery store with e-coupons and shopping the sales
Saved .40/gallon at the fuel pump using my grocery rewards card
Continuing to save ? by reducing alcohol intake

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13509 on: December 19, 2019, 05:47:11 PM »
Sold a few items on ThredUp - doesn't amount to much, but clothes out & money in.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13510 on: December 20, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »
Harvested collard greens and a jalapeño from the garden to use in a holiday-party frittata.

shortduck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13511 on: December 20, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
Almost switched to Visible.com for 25/month unlimited everything.

Currently paying 30/month on cricket wireless.

joshuagraham_xyz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13512 on: December 20, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »
Rather than hire a tree trimmer (to get branches off my roof) and a carpenter (to redo some rotted soffit & fascia, and to plug a leak in an add-on garage), I bought some power tools on Amazon (i.e., Dremel Saw Max, a pole-chainsaw, an orbital sander, etc.) and did the work myself.  I also let the temperature get down to 60F at night.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13513 on: December 23, 2019, 01:28:44 PM »
* Lunch is homemade chicken noodle soup made with chicken left over from a weekend dinner.
* I scooped up a barrow full of soggy leaves that collected on the walk after a rain. Stored in the side yard for a couple of months, this will become a free gourmet soil amendment called "leaf mold."

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13514 on: December 24, 2019, 05:22:11 PM »
Got my VA disability rate raised so hopefully no more buying prescriptions ever again not to mention healthcare and more money monthly.  My kid took me to 4dx Star Wars I would have gladly paid and took him but I’m grateful. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13515 on: December 24, 2019, 06:03:18 PM »
Made a horse feeder out of a $25 plastic barrel instead of buying a fancy specially made feeder.

40c/gallon off on filling the truck up with gas.

Ordered next year's garden seed and adjusted my orders to minimize overall cost and avoid duplicating things I already have.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13516 on: December 25, 2019, 07:06:40 PM »
Won the online lottery for Broadway tickets.  Two decent enough seats for Aladdin for $33 each.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13517 on: December 27, 2019, 08:19:10 AM »
Teaching my kids to ski.  Skiing isn't particularly noteworthy for saving its participants money, but I opted to give them lessons myself, one at a time, to get them started.  The local mountain wanted $159 (each) for a two-hour group lesson, and I was pretty sure I could do a better job with one-on-one instruction all day long.  Since we have passes and gear (rented for the season) already, I felt it was a risk worth taking, despite my friends all claiming that I was crazy to even attempt such an endeavor.

One kid down, and it was a smashing success!  The younger one is still to come...might not go as well there, but maybe she'll surprise me.  Though I might sign them up for a lesson or two down the road when we have a bunch of days in a row at a resort, I was very happy to get one of them up and functional on skis.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13518 on: December 28, 2019, 09:45:39 PM »
DW and I spent 1.5 hours fixing the dishwasher. 

Beats calling a repair guy who would not do as thorough of a job cleaning everything out and definitely beats buying a new dishwasher and putting our old one in a landfill. 

Went to gym, made coffee at home, ate at home.  Spent $10 for a guest pass for friend to join me at the gym but it was worth it. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13519 on: December 29, 2019, 02:34:43 PM »
-Eating leftovers for all meals, before we fly home tomorrow
-Paid the kids to help me clean the house today, saving on the cost of a cleaning service
-Sent leftovers home with my parents. Doesn't save us money, but saves my parents & reduces food waste

A-train

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13520 on: December 29, 2019, 04:16:11 PM »
My brother taught me how to make carbonated water and I made five gallons!

I'm sure we will drink it quickly. I love having something bubbly to drink, and this is healthier and way cheaper than beer or soda pop.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

robincanada

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Anti-Capitalist Anarchist with no debts
« Reply #13521 on: December 29, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »
Walked to the park with the dog, did not take the car.  I pick up litter anyway, my city has a problem, and I found a full can of Pepsi, not frozen to breaking point.  Drinking it now.  Had not had cola in over a month.  Found another empty can walking the dog later.  Realized heating water in a pot for pasta is less efficient than my electric kettle.  So preheated the water in the kettle, not on the stove.  Hot water tank is over 20 years old or I would just use hot tap water.  Also started using MMM forums. 

Not driving 4 km - $1, free Pepsi 25 cents, energy savings 1 cent, can deposit 20 cents. 

$1.46.  Stop reading Reddit and following horrific US politics and switching to MMM forums and positivity and useful ideas not following horrific assholes destroying society - PRICELESS. 

So $1.46 plus Infinite positive energy vs negative, making me in despair energy.  I also broke up a lot of brush I cleared in the fall by hand into fireplace kindling sized pieces outside on
A sunny -2 C day... also priceless. 

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13522 on: December 30, 2019, 10:11:10 AM »
-Checked my 401(k) today and since switching some allocations a few months ago, it's earning much more. Learned our profit-sharing, which automatically gets put into a traditional 401(k), will be 10% this year!
-Also checked my HSA funds.
-Also checked the value of my car.
-Input all these updated numbers into Mint (two-factor authentication has messed with some of the automatic updates).
-Allocated where my year-end bonus will go.
-Canceled my automatic auto loan payments (because it will get paid off tomorrow!!!) and redirected them to my credit card.
-Leftovers for lunch. Will probably take advantage of some of the goodies in the break room today.
-Used a gift card to buy some things I've been needing/wanting (wind-proof umbrella, travel cutlery set for work so less plastic use, lip gloss, photo organizer/protector, and a book that's not available in libraries).
-Came back from a week off to find a Starbucks gift card on my desk. I don't actually like Starbucks, so may use it to re-gift, or use it to buy lunch/snacks.
-Refilled all of my and my kids' eligible prescriptions before our HDHC plan resets on Jan. 1.
-Stopped using product in my hair except on special occasions.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13523 on: December 31, 2019, 05:40:40 AM »
We had to cross a sea and booked a ferry with mandatory cabin booking. We slept in the cheapest cabin, under the car deck. I normally find it too scary and pay more for a cabin higher up. But this time, to save money, we booked the cheapest. I even managed to relax and sleep some hours.
We skipped dinner onboard. Instead, we bought a salad in the shop on land and shared that.

aliene

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13524 on: December 31, 2019, 06:08:49 AM »
We fixed our washing machine today. Took more time to find out what was wrong with it than fixing it. Feels great to fix things!

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #13525 on: December 31, 2019, 10:01:03 AM »
Moved my domain name registration.  Saved $19.31.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #13526 on: December 31, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
Moved some money into higher interest savings.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13527 on: December 31, 2019, 11:29:56 AM »
Got my bonus so I paid off my car and a credit card!
Moved $1,000 into savings.

*muppet flail*

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13528 on: December 31, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »

*muppet flail*

HIGH FIVE!! Seriously great job.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13529 on: December 31, 2019, 03:09:40 PM »
Got my VA disability rate raised so hopefully no more buying prescriptions ever again not to mention healthcare and more money monthly.  My kid took me to 4dx Star Wars I would have gladly paid and took him but I’m grateful.

@shawn77777 - CONGRATULATIONS! Not an easy feat. VA approved my (dear departed) hubby's VA disability to 100% the same month he passed away.
Hope you get to enjoy your increase for years to come.

I did nothing to save money today at all instead we enjoyed an outing to a local market, a walk on the pier and a fine dinner a Deux.
Happy New Year everyone - may 2020 exceed all our expectations:)!

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13530 on: December 31, 2019, 03:46:31 PM »
* Got 40 minutes of cardio by doing a tree-trimming chore using manual tools; I was going to pay with a guy with a chainsaw $120 to do it but he never got back to me.

* It's 72F today so put out of load of clothes to dry on the line

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13531 on: December 31, 2019, 10:00:01 PM »

*muppet flail*

Woot! (do people still say that?)

I guess staying in and walking the dog instead of participating in any NYE shenanigans counts?  I did splurge on some nice hard cider.  *hiccup*

Last week, I did the responsible thing and maxed my TSP with the 3 consecutive raises I've gotten October through January.  Yes, should have been maxing it already, but horses are expensive and whatnot.

Last weekend I bought a bunch of cauliflower at 98c a pound and am in the process of making a bunch of low-carb pizza crusts to freeze for dinners on future busy weeknights.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #13532 on: December 31, 2019, 11:04:33 PM »
The neighborhood cobbler wanted $30 to fix the zippers on my boots, which is more than they originally cost. So I decided to try it myself. No idea how long it'll last, but the zipper works a lot better than it did this morning!

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #13533 on: January 01, 2020, 02:15:27 PM »
I skipped my January subscribe & save Amazon delivery.  I don't need more of the items sitting on a shelf and will use up what I already have or make due without.  I am planning on having zero Amazon purchases for the month anyway so these recurring S&S grocery items will be included in the don't-buy list.   

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13534 on: January 02, 2020, 06:53:44 AM »
I've been making creative meals from the holiday leftovers without any grocery shopping this week.

On a lark, I went to a casino with friends. I intended to lose $20 playing slots. Instead I found a $10 bill on the floor, put it into a machine and instantly doubled my found money. I cashed out and walked around for 2 hours until everybody was ready to leave.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13535 on: January 02, 2020, 10:43:04 AM »
Cashed in bank rewards for a $50 gift card to Ulta. Will use to replace items that are running out. Basically getting free stuff for regularly checking my bank accounts and shuffling money around.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13536 on: January 02, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »
1. Did a store return - $60 saved.

2. Hung laundry in the sunshine - saved pennies:) - doing it again today - more pennies saved:).
3. Stretched leftovers into three meals for two and another for Mr. R. to take as work lunch.

4. Harvested limes from the garden - for Gluehwein, fish seasoning, salad dressing and a couple of Mojitos also using fresh garden mint:).
5. Got a free plant from one of my garden friends.

6. Got a couple of free books from Amazon via $ credits for not using their next day delivery over the holidays. Made sure I used my Amazon Prime card to get 5% back on all purchases in 2019.
Free cash savings to deposit in my "renewed" Holiday Club acct @2% interest.

7. Credit Union cc just gave me $120~~ cash back from holiday expenses/indulgences. It will become part of my initial deposit into my new 3.5% APY CD at the same credit union.
Small stuff I know - but I'm thrilled nevertheless:).

8. Canceling my Starzs account before it renews (used their trial but kept it for another month since they had a couple of movies I wanted to watch).
Saves ~~ $9 month

9. Spent some time to review-revise my 2020 budget and savings strategies.
Moving some cash savings for better interest - $50 saved - possibly another $100 in a new savings account.
Opening a new checking account - $300 bonus

10. $5 from Chase for no longer receiving snail mail on one of my accounts.

11. Took advantage of BOGO deals  - plus - last week alone saved $12 via coupons at the grocery store and $16 at a Christmas sale.
Also, I stocked up on good quality soap/body wash and lotions for the entire year while Marshal's had a great selection of all our favorites at an excellent price.
The golden trifecta of saving us time and money and gasoline...

Not sure if I posted this before - but just switching my meds to another pharmacy that my insurance apparently has a deal with - now saves me right at $50 a month. Should have switched sooner..... would have saved me $150 already, but I dragged my feet, sigh!

That reminds me that I better check out their health savings program for 2020 to see if I qualify for a gift card or two for doing some of their preventative health measures. Win - win - better health and free money, I'll take it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13537 on: January 04, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »
Baked my own bread from wholegrain flower that was on sale.

Walked to and from a local shop yesterday, 5 km in total.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #13538 on: January 04, 2020, 08:14:33 PM »
Ditched the car today for most of my travels, took the kiddos to the library for free entertainment.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13539 on: January 04, 2020, 08:24:50 PM »
Stayed at home.  Made breakfast.  Cleaned house.  Listened to music.  Made hummus.  Marinated chicken.  Cleaned out fridge.  Made turkey burgers and salad (wife made grilled squash).  Meal prepped one lunch with leftovers.  Cleaned up more of house.  Unsubscribed from lots of e-mails (reduce e-mail clutter) on Unroll me (which is fabulous).  Went through to-do box with wife, cashing a $50 check and pocketing $130 in cash.  Linked Shell rewards to credit cards.  Inquired via e-mail about booking a family boat ride we won at a charity auction.  Loaded Starbucks card for Christmas on app.  Organized to do-list.  Discussed how to economically upgrade ratty old living room furniture. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13540 on: January 05, 2020, 02:05:50 AM »
Taking a trip to the city by train. After some calculation of cost/fuel prices, it will save a bit of money. Also walkimg to the train station, 2 km to save parking cost.

aliene

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13541 on: January 05, 2020, 10:53:19 AM »
Finished all the leftovers today, no need for groceries.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13542 on: January 05, 2020, 01:19:52 PM »
-Made lunch out of one of the salads that came back in our cooler from our trip. The salads got too cold, so I had to pick through it to remove the slimy stuff. Combined with fridge leftovers for a pasta edamame salad that was surprisingly good
-Husband has detailed the car, post ski trip. It was filthy & now looks sparkling.
-Returned a couple of Christmas gifts we didn't need
-Listed a bunch of stuff on eBay
-Filled out paperwork that is supposed to result in my older son getting $50 (privacy data breach through our health care provider). If that comes through, it will go to his college account

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #13543 on: January 06, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »

*muppet flail*
I love this :-) Might steal this from now on.

Also - congratulation!!! That is not a small thing but a HUGE one. Well done.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13544 on: January 06, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »

*muppet flail*
I love this :-) Might steal this from now on.

Also - congratulation!!! That is not a small thing but a HUGE one. Well done.

Thank you :) Yes, I guess it IS big. Whoops.

Today I chatted with customer service at Land's End and they are sending a replacement coat for my husband. I bought him a new one for Christmas and upon its second wearing, a snap popped completely off! Must return the original one, but there's no shipping charge.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #13545 on: January 06, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »
I made 8 quarts of delicious vegetable stock from veggie scraps I save up in my freezer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13546 on: January 06, 2020, 03:59:39 PM »
Charging my electric car for free at work

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13547 on: January 07, 2020, 10:46:11 AM »
I made 8 quarts of delicious vegetable stock from veggie scraps I save up in my freezer.

Do you do anything special with veggie broth vs. bone broth?  I always have way more veggie scraps than bones, especially now that we have reduced the amount of meat we are eating.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #13548 on: January 07, 2020, 11:14:31 AM »

Do you do anything special with veggie broth vs. bone broth?  I always have way more veggie scraps than bones, especially now that we have reduced the amount of meat we are eating.

Yes!  I use it all the time as a soup base, and I also cook starches like beans, rice, quinoa, etc. in it instead of water.  I freeze the extra in jars (leaving enough head space for expansion).  It keeps beautifully. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13549 on: January 08, 2020, 05:10:25 AM »

Yes!  I use it all the time as a soup base, and I also cook starches like beans, rice, quinoa, etc. in it instead of water.  I freeze the extra in jars (leaving enough head space for expansion).  It keeps beautifully.

Do you add any kind of fat or roast the veggie scraps or anything?  Every time I've tried to make veggie stock, it ends up being a weak-flavored veggie tea.