Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020825 times)

Sixof1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8000 on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:45 AM »
Over the past couple days:
- returned two pairs of glasses I bought in a moment of weekness. I don't need three pairs!! Got back $250.
- really wanted a "reward" for returning them (this is something I struggle with, spending money as a form of reward) instead I just went home where I already had a new snack to try
- found a pair of VERY expensive duck boots at the thrift store. They were originally $8 but I had a coupon so I got them for $6. Just need to wear thick socks and the fit like a glove.
- put back a mug at Starbucks that I felt I was only buying because it was in sale
- took some clothes to my local resale shop where they give cash for clothes. Got $30 for items I don't wear any more.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8001 on: January 16, 2017, 08:00:20 AM »
Scrubbed my husband's muddy-but-otherwise-in-good-nick soccer boots to ward off any talk of replacing them.
Don't forget to polish them as well.  Scrubbing removes the protection from mud and water.  Polish puts it back.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #8002 on: January 16, 2017, 07:07:43 PM »
I didn't buy that 3pm snack for $1.75.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8003 on: January 16, 2017, 07:27:54 PM »
Finally cleaned several baby and pregnancy items like stroller, high chair, etc. and put them up for sale on Craigslist.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8004 on: January 16, 2017, 08:23:05 PM »
Cut open the tube of hand cream I keep in my desk at work.

It raised a few eyebrows but I think I can get another week out of it.

Yesterday I bought the fruity shampoo that I am utterly sick of but it was half price and my preferred brand wasn't. Gonna think mustachian thoughts every time I wash my hair for the next couple of months.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8005 on: January 16, 2017, 09:55:20 PM »
Went to the grocery store to use the $5 off $20 coupon mentioned by an earlier poster, bought stuff to make a huge batch of tacos to eat for dinner all week. (I literally had multiple dreams about eating tacos this weekend, I'm not going to argue if my subconscious wants it that bad.)

Started having pretty bad pain while at the store (I have some problems triggered by walking/standing) but resisted taking a taxi home and took the bus instead (free bus vs. ~$15 taxi). Was hurting too much to make dinner as planned, but didn't want to spend money on delivery so I had cheese, crackers and fruit, took ibuprofen, threw some beans in the instant pot, and lay down to let my body rest for an hour while it cooked. Got up, took out the beans, put in the pork butt (to be shredded). Tomorrow I will just need to cook up rice and some simple roasted vegetables and then I'll be set for planned-leftover dinners all week.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8006 on: January 17, 2017, 03:56:22 AM »
Went to the grocery store to use the $5 off $20 coupon mentioned by an earlier poster, bought stuff to make a huge batch of tacos to eat for dinner all week. (I literally had multiple dreams about eating tacos this weekend, I'm not going to argue if my subconscious wants it that bad.)

Glad that worked for you!  They had the same deal for organic chicken, so I bought the smallest whole bird I could find and a pack of drumsticks.  The cashier was impressed when $10 was deducted from my bill.  Take that Whole 90% Paycheck!  I dont normally shop there, but Im on a work detail and the Safeway near me is atrocious and not much cheaper.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8007 on: January 17, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »

Glad that worked for you!  They had the same deal for organic chicken, so I bought the smallest whole bird I could find and a pack of drumsticks.  The cashier was impressed when $10 was deducted from my bill.  Take that Whole 90% Paycheck!  I dont normally shop there, but Im on a work detail and the Safeway near me is atrocious and not much cheaper.

The grocery situation in my area is so dire that Whole Foods is actually a pretty good option as long as you are careful. Some things are extremely expensive but some stuff is very reasonable and many staple items are cheaper than my non-fancy grocery store up the street. I was amazed when I started writing down prices because "Whole Paycheck" has such a reputation for being expensive. But when the crappy chain groceries have cereal for $6/box, crackers for $5/box, butter for $6/lb, and frozen broccoli for $3.50/10 oz., WF starts looking pretty sane... :-)

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #8008 on: January 17, 2017, 08:11:43 AM »
Cut open the tube of hand cream I keep in my desk at work.

It raised a few eyebrows but I think I can get another week out of it.

I have two or three cut-open tubes in my bathroom right now... drives me BONKERS to waste the stuff that can't be dispensed from a tube or pump (and it's often more than a week's worth!). :)

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #8009 on: January 17, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »

The grocery situation in my area is so dire that Whole Foods is actually a pretty good option as long as you are careful. Some things are extremely expensive but some stuff is very reasonable and many staple items are cheaper than my non-fancy grocery store up the street. I was amazed when I started writing down prices because "Whole Paycheck" has such a reputation for being expensive. But when the crappy chain groceries have cereal for $6/box, crackers for $5/box, butter for $6/lb, and frozen broccoli for $3.50/10 oz., WF starts looking pretty sane... :-)

And their whole wheat flour (365 house brand) is cheaper than anything I've found anywhere else.  Though suggestions appreciated. :)

In Pittsburgh, for 5lb bags:

WFM 365 organic:  $4.99
WFM 365:  $3.29*  (Cheapest non-organic)
Giant, King Arthur Organic:  $4.39* (Cheapest organic)
Target, King Arthur:  $3.69
Target, Market Pantry:  $3.89

I guess my win this weekend was buying whole wheat flour at whole foods. :-)  And having our in-laws visit and cooking all of our meals at home, despite forgetting I was supposed to cook for them while I was shopping and not buying extra food.  Go go a bit of creativity and the 10lb bag of costco sweet potatoes to fill out the meal.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8010 on: January 17, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »
This may be cheating since I did it yesterday, but:

I went money-hunting in coat pockets and in the car and all throughout the house, and I counted and rolled my jar full of coins.  "Made" $49.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8011 on: January 17, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »
1967teenager made a double batch of chocolate chip cookies this afternoon. He made 2 dozen for him and his brothers to eat and I pre-rolled the rest for the freezer for another day! Win/Win! I offered to cleanup since he did all the mixing:-)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8012 on: January 17, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
I am planning ahead and trying to get an academic excuse so I can miss several classes without penalty while attending a conference. It shouldn't be a big deal. It is an academic conference after l but my school is very strict. Early communication makes all the difference. I could maybe handle most classes and conference if I rented a car and drove myself, but carpooling is what makes it affordable and if I want to carpool I need to be able to skip classes. $150 not spent on rental and gas. I also applied for a scholarship for the event, $100. I'll donate some art of similar value. One day I will gladly pay full price. Today that is not feasible but I need this network desperately.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8013 on: January 17, 2017, 06:45:35 PM »
Last night's dinner (awesome steak sandwiches) did not translate into lunch today, so I threw some chicken and rice into a bowl as I was running out the door this morning.

Not the most exciting dish, but free.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8014 on: January 18, 2017, 01:30:51 AM »
Today I went back to my natural hair color!
This probably sounds ridiculous, especially to the male readers, but for me, it is a pretty big freakin deal, lol!
I will miss my blonde hair, but I feel like a true mustachian by going back to my old roots in the name of saving a boat load of money!

I did this over the past year. I always colored at home anyhow, but it was till a hassle to maintain and bad for my hair. I did learned how to do my own foil highlights from YouTube. For about $2 in supplies I can highlight every few months. I can't believe how much salons charge for color. If you buy the supplies at a beauty supply store (rather than boxed haircolor like L'Oréal or clarion) it is very cheap to highlight or color your hair.

I remember that my MIL and her friend always coloured each other's hair when they were turning grey. And then one day they stopped, probably because they lived too far apart and MIL became fully grey.

I'm not sure what I will do the day my hair turns grey. So far it's keeping it's own colour and I can count my previous 3 year's grey hairs on 1 hand.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8015 on: January 18, 2017, 07:27:49 AM »
Today I went back to my natural hair color!
This probably sounds ridiculous, especially to the male readers, but for me, it is a pretty big freakin deal, lol!
I will miss my blonde hair, but I feel like a true mustachian by going back to my old roots in the name of saving a boat load of money!

I did this over the past year. I always colored at home anyhow, but it was till a hassle to maintain and bad for my hair. I did learned how to do my own foil highlights from YouTube. For about $2 in supplies I can highlight every few months. I can't believe how much salons charge for color. If you buy the supplies at a beauty supply store (rather than boxed haircolor like L'Oréal or clarion) it is very cheap to highlight or color your hair.

I remember that my MIL and her friend always coloured each other's hair when they were turning grey. And then one day they stopped, probably because they lived too far apart and MIL became fully grey.

I'm not sure what I will do the day my hair turns grey. So far it's keeping it's own colour and I can count my previous 3 year's grey hairs on 1 hand.

I've got visible gray streaks in my hair, and I'm not even 30 yet.  The weird part is... I'm kind of looking forward to getting silvery all over.  It's getting more popular these days, plus I'll be able to put fun colors in my hair without having to bleach it first. :)  I used to get blue or purple streaks done at the salon about once a year, and it was around $200 a pop!  Don't know what I was thinking.  On the bright side, now my husband is getting pretty good at cutting and dying hair!

budgetjones

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8016 on: January 18, 2017, 08:09:12 AM »
While thrift shopping at the weekend, we found a DeLonghi expresso coffee maker for $10. As I bought it the cashier told me I could bring it back within7 days if it didn't work. (didn't know Goodwill had that policy...) Bought it, cleaned it, ran water through a few times and then made some espresso. It works so well, my (spendy-ish) husband returned the DeLonghi expresso maker he bought for Christmas (with some gifted $) to Target and got his $200 back. Its the little things like this that are helping him realize how much more fun it is being thrifty than being spendy.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8017 on: January 18, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »
Walked to the post office to return jeans I bought on Poshmark last week. I was able to get approved to return them since they had undisclosed damage.

I made yogurt in the Instant Pot yesterday, strained it this morning, and saved the whey. Then I quick-soaked and cooked dried black beans and will use it againfor rice later. I can't believe it took me so long to get one!

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8018 on: January 18, 2017, 09:30:12 AM »
Walked to the post office to return jeans I bought on Poshmark last week. I was able to get approved to return them since they had undisclosed damage.

I made yogurt in the Instant Pot yesterday, strained it this morning, and saved the whey. Then I quick-soaked and cooked dried black beans and will use it againfor rice later. I can't believe it took me so long to get one!
Was the yogurt-making easy/cost-effective? I'm never quite convinced it's worth it. But yeah, the IP is great :)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8019 on: January 18, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »
Was the yogurt-making easy/cost-effective? I'm never quite convinced it's worth it. But yeah, the IP is great :)

Around here, Fage Yogurt (Greek Style) runs $4 for 2 cups.  I can make my own greek yogurt for $2.50 which gets me about 9 cups.  So, store bought is $2 per cup, home made is 27 cents per cup.  So yeah, totally worth it.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8020 on: January 18, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »

I've found it's worth it! Half a gallon of milk ($1.25 for conventional or $3.50?? per half gallon for organic) yields enough yogurt to fill two containers that would cost $3 or more. The only factor is time - I'm home all day so letting the yogurt set all night then strain for a few hours in the morning isn't an issue. But you could easily make it on the weekend, or depending on your schedule you could make it in the AM, set all day, and strain in the evening.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8021 on: January 18, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »

I've found it's worth it! Half a gallon of milk ($1.25 for conventional or $3.50?? per half gallon for organic) yields enough yogurt to fill two containers that would cost $3 or more. The only factor is time - I'm home all day so letting the yogurt set all night then strain for a few hours in the morning isn't an issue. But you could easily make it on the weekend, or depending on your schedule you could make it in the AM, set all day, and strain in the evening.
All right, I'll have to give it a try!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8022 on: January 18, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
Got in early to trader joe's for working on my price book! A couple surprises for me- canned beans are actually LESS than at costco. Just one or two more stores and I'll be ready to do all the comparisons.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8023 on: January 18, 2017, 12:37:20 PM »
I love this thread, it always makes me smile.  All meals/coffee except one have been cooked at home or packed from home, we're trying to eat down the pantry and freezer this month.  The one was a brunch mystery shop with my daughter and we spent under the reimbursement so technically it doesn't count. 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8024 on: January 18, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »
Waited till the yummy delicious South American whole bean coffee when on sale at Sprouts from $9 to $6.  Stocked up while it's on sale. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8025 on: January 18, 2017, 12:48:45 PM »
Recently:

Saved $350 on an upcoming out of state trip for my BFF's wedding by bundling my hotel and flight online.  I've arranged coffee appointments with various friends at my destination rather than going out for supper/drinks.  Upon arriving, I'll go to the grocery store to stock the hotel mini fridge.  Instead of an expensive bachelorette party for my friend, I've got some fun things planned at the hotel.

Found a dime in the parking lot.  :D

Saved $1,276 on groceries and HBAs in 2016 by using coupons, e-coupons and shopping the sales.

Ordered over $100 in free gift cards last year using credit card cash back reward points.

Keeping food cost and waste to a minimum by participating in MMM's eat all the food in your house thread.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #8026 on: January 18, 2017, 01:10:17 PM »
Haven't posted much at all on the forum - I mostly lurk - but this thread inspired me to stop putting off a phone call to our internet provider. We had a tech come out last week to fix a problem on their end which had been ongoing. DH called to ask for a credit last week, but he only got $20 (he's not as forceful/persistent as I am). Since he travels for work, I was the one who mostly dealt with the spotty internet and I was mad. I finally called today and got a 1-month credit plus a rate reduction for the next year! One 15-min phone call saved us $300!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #8027 on: January 18, 2017, 01:11:11 PM »
I did absolutely nothing in the last 2 days.. if your not doing anything your not spending..:)

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8028 on: January 18, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »
We've been having a problem with voles in our yard, making little underground ruts to trip over, and eating all my pretty flowers last spring.  I've been researching humane(and cheap!) ways to get rid of them, and I read that they hate the smell of garlic.  So I spent a little bit of time peeling the 3 heads of garlic that were in my fridge, and planting them all around my yarn, adding a few extra around my baby tree and flower bed.  Maybe they'll decide to grow, and I'll even get some free garlic out of the deal. :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8029 on: January 18, 2017, 01:22:18 PM »
DH replaced a broken window in our farm truck himself.  Saved $400 over having the work done at an auto glass shop!  He is amazing.  :)

And I took my lunch to work for the umpteenth straight day.  Baked a potato in the microwave, sprinkled some cheese on it, and ate that along with the salad I threw together at home this morning.  I can't remember when I last bought my lunch. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8030 on: January 18, 2017, 03:04:53 PM »
I decided it's time to empty my change jar. I don't have a local branch of my bank and the coin machines take at least 10%. I'm just gonna use it up in self check out at the grocery.

So today I used $4.46 in change to buy a pile of fruit.

It got tedious and awkward... but I'm tired of this change hanging around.

I also walked to the grocery (1.5 miles) and redeemed coupons for several free food items that are actually useful this time! 

Edited to add:

I've got the heat off for the third day now!  I may need a little tonight as it is getting cold again but the next several days will be reasonable again.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:06:45 PM by PMG »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8031 on: January 18, 2017, 03:10:45 PM »
Made a gift for a friend using things I had at home.

It was something he had expressed an interest in, not a macaroni necklace or anything!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8032 on: January 18, 2017, 03:14:54 PM »
I decided it's time to empty my change jar. I don't have a local branch of my bank and the coin machines take at least 10%. I'm just gonna use it up in self check out at the grocery.

Every time I've used one of those machines, it let me pick a gift card for no fee (so you don't lose any money). You can get a gift card for Amazon and then either buy things you would have bought anyway, or buy a gift card for something you really need (Amazon sells a lot of gift cards including some to grocery stores). Easier than carrying pocketfuls of change around :-) 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #8033 on: January 18, 2017, 03:16:12 PM »
Not really done to save money, but today I noticed the way my train of though evolved:
Chatting with a friend about cloth diapers, she sends me a link to linen table napkins on Etsy
- Wow, they're cute! I could grab some, we're out of brown paper and we could use those instead
- wait, they're just linen squares with borders. I should be able to make something close enough. I'll buy some linen at the fabric store.
- Or I could buy an XXXL linen shirt at the thrift store and cut it up, it would be cheaper
- Actually, I own linen shirts I don't use much, I'll cut up one of those

Now off to look for sewing instructions!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8034 on: January 18, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »

Every time I've used one of those machines, it let me pick a gift card for no fee (so you don't lose any money). You can get a gift card for Amazon and then either buy things you would have bought anyway, or buy a gift card for something you really need (Amazon sells a lot of gift cards including some to grocery stores). Easier than carrying pocketfuls of change around :-)

I will look into that. I haven't actually used one in years!  I'm guessing I old have about $15 in the change jar, but still... it's weight I don't need and is more useful elsewhere!

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8035 on: January 18, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
Not really done to save money, but today I noticed the way my train of though evolved:
Chatting with a friend about cloth diapers, she sends me a link to linen table napkins on Etsy
- Wow, they're cute! I could grab some, we're out of brown paper and we could use those instead
- wait, they're just linen squares with borders. I should be able to make something close enough. I'll buy some linen at the fabric store.
- Or I could buy an XXXL linen shirt at the thrift store and cut it up, it would be cheaper

I am le lazy! I have both material as well as instruction. You have inspired me to make some napkins. I tried making place mats, but that is above my pay grade.

Staying home and not going out almost always saves me money, so there's that.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #8036 on: January 18, 2017, 04:24:21 PM »

I am le lazy! I have both material as well as instruction. You have inspired me to make some napkins. I tried making place mats, but that is above my pay grade.

Yeah me too, with a new baby and snow outside I ain't going anywhere any time soon, so I'm saving money this way... also, I might have accidentally joined the "Eat your cupboard down" challenge...

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #8037 on: January 18, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
For cloth napkins, I used cotton fabric that I had for quilting.  I cut it into large squares and then pulled strings to make a fringe on each edge.  No sewing needed. 

I use terrycloth washcloths for cleaning cloths.  Having two different types of cloths helps me wash them separately if needed. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8038 on: January 18, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »
Just sharpened my knives.

They are almost eight years old and I use them constantly, but a quick sharpen and they're good as new.

My DH used to be a speed skater and is good at sharpening irons. So he also sharpens the good knives at home, as well as the chain saw's chain. The only knives that are a challenge are the bread knives. I have no idea if they can be sharpened at all.
They can be, and a sharp bread knife is a wonderful thing. I found a guy at my local farmer's market who can seemingly sharpen anything.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8039 on: January 18, 2017, 05:30:22 PM »
-DH sharpened our knives today. We hone often, but I always love when he's just sharpened them. Bonus: he did our scissors too =) After wrapping-paper season, this is great.
-Worked out in the home gym
-Price booked grocery store #3

Not directly saving, but I had a good money check-in with DH today.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8040 on: January 18, 2017, 06:15:18 PM »
Assembled a baby gift today:

- a tuna casserole kit (noodles, tuna, cream of ? soup)
- large ziplock bag of homemade granola
- a ziplock of our lentil rice casserole. All she has to add is water and grated cheese on top.
- a small essential oil I got for free
- a new box of tea from my stash (that I've been trying to use up before buying any new tea)

I think it turned out cute and the cost was minimal. Will be unique at least!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8041 on: January 18, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »

Miles ahead of you! :)
I made linen napkins out of an old tablecloth about six years ago and they are still going strong. Highly recommend. Use a darker color and stains won't show.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8042 on: January 19, 2017, 12:53:55 AM »
Work put on a free lunch, which  i ate gleefully (+ real orange juice! with pulp! I never buy it so guzzled some with enjoyment). Means today's packed lunch is at work for tomorrow.

We move house in two weeks, so am working through the cupboards/fridge, using up as much as possible - today  i added a chicken  (frozen in xmas sales), along with a large open can of peaches, and a glass of a fruit wine we didn't like, into our slow cooker - it smells divine!

I have six months left in a job i don't like, but it  pays okay, which is really motivating me to save. By being super frugal i can i put away $85/work day into our savings and wedding accounts - its fun to work out what that is per hour/minute.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8043 on: January 19, 2017, 01:03:22 AM »
Day number 4 this week with lunch brought from home with toppings bought on sale.
Yesterday and the day before we ate left-overs from earlier this week.
Free cup cake at work from a colleague whose daughter is learning to be a cook. She often brings pastries to work.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8044 on: January 19, 2017, 03:37:03 AM »
Cut husband's hair.

Cooked dinner out of ingredients on hand, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8045 on: January 19, 2017, 07:49:54 AM »

And ... another tip I got from this forum ... if you already have an Amazon gift card on file you can just reload it online from the receipt for Amazon you got at the change machine. So your change machine change can be $4.97 and you can still load it into an Amazon credit. I have done this a couple of times.

Of course, then when you shop at Amazon it's like you're shopping with Monopoly money, but that's a different problem. There's a reason they make it SO easy.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8046 on: January 19, 2017, 07:55:26 AM »
I made it through the temperature dip last night and did not turn any heat on this morning. It's 43 now, supposed to get up to 58 later then in the 60s the next few days.  It's incredible to not use heat in January!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8047 on: January 19, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
Bought a slightly cheaper can of cat food to try on the cat, and she liked it!

My cat has gotten to the point where she only eats the expensive Fancy Feast. When she doesn't like something she will not eat all day. Over the years I have tried everything else in the grocery store.

I thought that cats do not change their preference, but I guess they do. I tried a can of the second tier Fancy Feast, which was also a mushier texture than what she has been eating. Would not touch it the last time I tried it around 2 years ago. Today she ate the whole thing.

Every week there will be a new experiment can to see how low we can go now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8048 on: January 19, 2017, 08:38:23 AM »
Packed DH's lunch/dinner for today last night, so that when he left at 4am, there was no chance of forgetting it. Benefit to the winter: I can stick it in the trunk and it stays plenty cold.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8049 on: January 19, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Took a small detour to drop off DH's forgotten lunch on our way to a play date this morning. Saved $5.50 he'd have spent on lunch otherwise.

We ran the kids around our friends' yard instead of going to open play at gymnastics, saved $3 (less than that since its further to their house, but not much less).

Leftovers for lunch and dinner.

Made homemade applesauce from discounted bruised apples. $2.35 on apples yielded 2 large jars worth of applesauce ($1.79 per jar at Aldi, plus the homemade stuff is better).