Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8145847 times)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #15250 on: September 25, 2022, 10:17:00 AM »
Instead of going to the bagel joint this morning, I bought 2 delicious danishes while I was at Whole Foods looking for alfalfa in the vitamin aisle.  They had no alfalfa but the clerk offered that lemon will possibly have the same effect.  (I need to stop a long menstruation.  If you got any home remedies, send me a msg!). I brought my danishes home to eat with my own beverages.  Yum and cheaper than the bagel I would’ve bought. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15251 on: September 26, 2022, 09:48:31 AM »
Sharpened some nail clippers with sandpaper.
It worked!
https://myelectricknifesharpener.com/general/how-to-sharpen-nail-clippers.html

I wouldn't say that it's huge money savings, but I hate that these items are disposable.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15252 on: September 26, 2022, 10:22:20 AM »
It worked!

I wouldn't say that it's huge money savings, but I hate that these items are disposable.

Oooh, this is useful information! I have a matching set that I like because they fit in a case and it's easy to keep them all together, but they aren't sharp enough. I will try this.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15253 on: September 26, 2022, 10:25:48 AM »
Instead of going to the bagel joint this morning, I bought 2 delicious danishes while I was at Whole Foods looking for alfalfa in the vitamin aisle.  They had no alfalfa but the clerk offered that lemon will possibly have the same effect.  (I need to stop a long menstruation.  If you got any home remedies, send me a msg!). I brought my danishes home to eat with my own beverages.  Yum and cheaper than the bagel I would’ve bought.

Raspberry leaf tea. I am utterly dependent on it not to bleed to death. (Not sorry, gentle readers, for the TMI; this is a problem for so many women and it took me forever to find a solution!). Drink 1-2 cups a day the week before and/or during.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15254 on: September 26, 2022, 10:35:14 AM »
It worked!

Oooh, this is useful information! I have a matching set that I like because they fit in a case and it's easy to keep them all together, but they aren't sharp enough. I will try this.

This is very handy to know!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15255 on: September 27, 2022, 03:23:43 AM »
Thanks!!! 

Raspberry leaf tea. I am utterly dependent on it not to bleed to death. (Not sorry, gentle readers, for the TMI; this is a problem for so many women and it took me forever to find a solution!). Drink 1-2 cups a day the week before and/or during.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15256 on: September 29, 2022, 07:06:55 AM »
The power side door on our 17-year-old minivan wouldn't close last night. It has had some problems lately if the van is facing uphill but this time it was on a slight downslope.

I found a thread in another forum discussing the issue. Several people mentioned paying around $900 for repairs - bad motors, replacing the hinge/rolling mechanism, etc. One person mentioned they just had to clean the gunk out of the latching mechanism, and another said it was a blown fuse.

I checked the fuse (good) and then spent about 10 minutes with some paper towels and WD-40 on the latching mechanism which had a bunk of built-up gunk. Sure, enough after cleaning the latching mechanism with WD-40 and getting it lubricated it works fine. Potential $900 repair avoided - or even a ~$100 diagnostic fee from a mechanic.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15257 on: September 29, 2022, 07:17:47 AM »
We're going to be out of town this weekend for a wedding, so I went to the grocery store to get food for the meals that won't be covered by wedding activities.  We aren't sure we'll have access to a kitchen, so went with bagels, hummus, carrots, and other things that will be fine in a cooler without refrigeration.  Saves us several meals out while travelling, or the stress of trying to find a store and navigate in an unfamiliar town.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #15258 on: September 29, 2022, 07:56:11 AM »
Just canceled the subscription for the Saturday paper.  Each paper is $8.  We can go buy the odd paper when we have time to read it.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #15259 on: September 29, 2022, 11:44:38 PM »
Cheese and butter were on sale, so we stocked up.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #15260 on: October 03, 2022, 03:28:52 AM »
Grocery Outlet had whole wheat tortillas for 50 cents per pack, so I stocked up. 

We had delicious veggie quesadillas for dinner last night, for a total meal cost of about $3 for 4 people.  And we have enough tortillas on hand for another dozen such cheap quesadilla meals. 

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15261 on: October 03, 2022, 07:19:21 AM »
I went through some of my old credit cards (they're not that old, because I constantly churn them) and found $39 of reward money in an Amex that I redeemed for statement credit. Next time I need something for around $40 I'll use that card

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15262 on: October 03, 2022, 04:31:28 PM »
Not today, but 13 years ago I had the foresight to buy a nice pair of headphones that had a replaceable cable. Cables and plugs are usually the part that breaks first. So today, instead of spending hundreds to replace my high-end headphones, I just have to spend ten or fifteen bucks on a cable, since the old one is finally coming apart.

I guess I'll upgrade to Bluetooth one day if the actual headphones die. ;-)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #15263 on: October 03, 2022, 04:43:03 PM »
Batch cooking and freezing chili. For the chili, I’m cooking dry beans instead of using canned beans.

For the chili ingredients, I used a coupon that gave me a 30% discount on groceries. I combined that with a grocery app that gave me a free veggie whenever I reached a certain minimum order.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 04:49:36 PM by Freedomin5 »

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15264 on: October 03, 2022, 05:17:25 PM »
Not today, but 13 years ago I had the foresight to buy a nice pair of headphones that had a replaceable cable. Cables and plugs are usually the part that breaks first. So today, instead of spending hundreds to replace my high-end headphones, I just have to spend ten or fifteen bucks on a cable, since the old one is finally coming apart.

I guess I'll upgrade to Bluetooth one day if the actual headphones die. ;-)

That's awesome. I wish every pair of headphones had a replaceable cable! I normally just buy inexpensive headphones, and you're right that the cable is the part that breaks first. I will have to look into this next time I need a new pair of headphones!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15265 on: October 03, 2022, 05:43:06 PM »
That's awesome. I wish every pair of headphones had a replaceable cable! I normally just buy inexpensive headphones, and you're right that the cable is the part that breaks first. I will have to look into this next time I need a new pair of headphones!

It's a very specific niche these days, since wireless headphones exist. But I like it from a less-environmental-waste perspective. Wireless headphones tend to be disposable when the batteries die, and wired headphones tend to be disposable when the cable craps out.

It's difficult to find earbud-size ones that have replaceable cables - they exist, but tend to be really high-end - but the big over-ear kind (that you might use at your home computer) have quite a few options.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15266 on: October 04, 2022, 10:12:53 AM »
@Dollar Slice, I also had a 15 year old pair of wired headphones die...they were the Bose in ear running headphones.  They are so old, Bose doesn't even make them anymore! I don't like the wireless ones either (don't like having to charge them, they are bulky and less environmentally sound, etc)  I was able to find a pair of refurbished ones on Ebay that are like new!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15267 on: October 04, 2022, 11:56:16 AM »
Made DS16 eat cereal for breakfast.  He asked for a takeout bagel.  But I didn't have my wallet.

DH rode the new E-bike to work for the first time.  I shall ride it home.  One fewer 20 mile round trip commute.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #15268 on: October 04, 2022, 02:09:31 PM »
Made homemade muesli. Fill the food processor with rolled oats. Pulse a couple of times until they're broken down a bit. Toss in a few handfuls of nuts and dried fruit (I used walnuts, raisins and cranberries this time). Pulse a couple more times. For traditional muesli, you add milk or yogurt and let it sit overnight to eat the next morning, and you can skip the food processor step because the oats will be soft and easy to chew. I don't like the mushy texture after an overnight soak, so I just add milk when I want to eat it. The food processor step makes the oats much easier to chew if you don't do an overnight soak. The end result is basically a version of cereal-with-milk that is better than pretty much any boxed cereal I've ever tried. It's healthier than (no added sugar, no fat), filling, and just sweet enough from the dried fruit. And it's less expensive than most cereals, too.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15269 on: October 05, 2022, 01:10:22 AM »
Made homemade muesli. Fill the food processor with rolled oats. Pulse a couple of times until they're broken down a bit. Toss in a few handfuls of nuts and dried fruit (I used walnuts, raisins and cranberries this time). Pulse a couple more times. For traditional muesli, you add milk or yogurt and let it sit overnight to eat the next morning, and you can skip the food processor step because the oats will be soft and easy to chew. I don't like the mushy texture after an overnight soak, so I just add milk when I want to eat it. The food processor step makes the oats much easier to chew if you don't do an overnight soak. The end result is basically a version of cereal-with-milk that is better than pretty much any boxed cereal I've ever tried. It's healthier than (no added sugar, no fat), filling, and just sweet enough from the dried fruit. And it's less expensive than most cereals, too.
I do something similar, with granola. Unfortunately, last batch I was distracted because of all the embellishments I was adding (flax, chia, hemp) that aren't in the original recipe, I forgot to add salt or vanilla. On top of that, I baked it a little too long. No way was I going to dump it, but it wasn't very good. This morning, I baked a half batch adding all the ingredients and all the sweeteners and the full measure of oil (I typically only use half). After it cooled, I mixed it in with the earlier double batch. I hope the sweeter stuff will liven up the first batch. All in, it's still less sugar and less cost than anything commercially available. I'm calling it a win.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15270 on: October 05, 2022, 08:23:45 AM »
I do something similar, with granola. Unfortunately, last batch I was distracted because of all the embellishments I was adding (flax, chia, hemp) that aren't in the original recipe, I forgot to add salt or vanilla. On top of that, I baked it a little too long. No way was I going to dump it, but it wasn't very good. This morning, I baked a half batch adding all the ingredients and all the sweeteners and the full measure of oil (I typically only use half). After it cooled, I mixed it in with the earlier double batch. I hope the sweeter stuff will liven up the first batch. All in, it's still less sugar and less cost than anything commercially available. I'm calling it a win.
I do something similar and because I use gluten free oats and load it up with sliced almonds, hemp and flax as well as lots of dried fruit it is really filling.  And gluten free granola is WAAAAY more expensive to buy than the ingredients in my version. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15271 on: October 06, 2022, 07:50:29 AM »
I do something similar and because I use gluten free oats and load it up with sliced almonds, hemp and flax as well as lots of dried fruit it is really filling.  And gluten free granola is WAAAAY more expensive to buy than the ingredients in my version.
I bought GF Oats at Trader Joe's this week for a recipe I hoped to make and bring to Moab to share. I don’t shop there often. Both TJ's and their oats were expensive! Ouch.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15272 on: October 06, 2022, 07:58:58 AM »
I bought GF Oats at Trader Joe's this week for a recipe I hoped to make and bring to Moab to share. I don’t shop there often. Both TJ's and their oats were expensive! Ouch.
I buy gf oats bulk at my co-op, I'll check the price next time. I never found them to be outrageous.
One granola tip I learned: if you want sticky, chunky granola do not stir it on the cookie sheet after you take it out of the oven for an hour or so, and use honey for extra "stick'.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15273 on: October 06, 2022, 08:35:24 AM »
I buy gf oats bulk at my co-op, I'll check the price next time. I never found them to be outrageous.
One granola tip I learned: if you want sticky, chunky granola do not stir it on the cookie sheet after you take it out of the oven for an hour or so, and use honey for extra "stick'.
Heh heh, we think alike. This is the base recipe I use:

https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/no-stir-clumpalicious-granola/

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15274 on: October 06, 2022, 10:11:04 AM »

Great tip.  Maybe I should shop online for some GF oats?

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15275 on: October 06, 2022, 03:15:18 PM »
We've been known to enjoy the occasional yellow curry from a few different local Thai restaurants, but with price increases and portion size decreases, it has moved from the "frugal splurge" category to the "not worth it" category.  So I bought some yellow curry paste online ($12 for enough to last 2 years easily) and on sale coconut milk from Costco, and today I started working on coming up with a recipe that approximates the version from my favorite restaurant.  For under $5 including the needed vegetables, rice, and some leftover chicken, I made enough for main meal today (and DH to have seconds), and for another generous meal for two over the weekend.  The local place had gone up to $16(!) and that would be enough for one not-so-generous meal, not two generous meals.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15276 on: October 06, 2022, 05:12:17 PM »

That's the way!

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15277 on: October 06, 2022, 06:20:30 PM »
Count my family amount those who prefer a free-flowing, non-clumpy, non-sticky granola.  In that case, I find it best to use a combination of maple syrup and white sugar, rather than honey, and to cook the syrup ahead of tossing it with the oats, making sure to boil for at least 5 minutes.  Every flake of oats is covered in sweet deliciousness.

Another thing I did to save money today was to turn 5# of underwhelming, slightly mushy Gala apples into apple "crisp".  They were on sale at Aldi last week, but just weren't good.  I peeled them and cut them into chunks before topping them with a mixture of brown sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon.  Call me odd, but I prefer an apple "crumble", which doesn't have oats, versus a traditional oat based "crisp", although recipes for both often call for oats these days, with the term "crumble" falling out of favor, at least around here.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #15278 on: October 07, 2022, 05:27:45 AM »
Count my family amount those who prefer a free-flowing, non-clumpy, non-sticky granola.  In that case, I find it best to use a combination of maple syrup and white sugar, rather than honey, and to cook the syrup ahead of tossing it with the oats, making sure to boil for at least 5 minutes.  Every flake of oats is covered in sweet deliciousness.

Another thing I did to save money today was to turn 5# of underwhelming, slightly mushy Gala apples into apple "crisp".  They were on sale at Aldi last week, but just weren't good.  I peeled them and cut them into chunks before topping them with a mixture of brown sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon.  Call me odd, but I prefer an apple "crumble", which doesn't have oats, versus a traditional oat based "crisp", although recipes for both often call for oats these days, with the term "crumble" falling out of favor, at least around here.

I also have some apples left which nobody seems to like...... so making an apple crumble as a weekend desert sounds delicious!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #15279 on: October 07, 2022, 06:15:43 AM »
I remembered that DH received a $300 gift card for a shopping app that we rarely use. Instead of buying groceries from our regular grocery app, I bought groceries from this other app. Prices were comparable, and groceries were basically “free” for us.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15280 on: October 07, 2022, 09:49:37 AM »
For folks that like clumpy granola, Smitten Kitchen has a genius technique with egg white that lets you reduce sugar as much as you want without losing clusters.

https://www.seriouseats.com/smitten-kitchens-big-cluster-maple-granola

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15281 on: October 07, 2022, 11:46:09 AM »

Thanks for the reminder! I've been thinking I should make my own muesli. It seems so expensive for what it is! $5-7 for a pretty small bag, WTF? When it's mostly oatmeal, which is super cheap, and just some raisins and few other things?? Stupid price gauging.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #15282 on: October 07, 2022, 12:05:31 PM »
I wanted to get a pretzel at the Amish market 11 mi away. Since the weather in MD was nice, I took my bicycle with the Bafang e-bike kit. It took under an hour each way.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15283 on: October 08, 2022, 11:48:14 AM »
A few years ago I bought my water proof cell phone. Today it paid off. I was kayaking and was about to take a picture with my phone, close to shore. The phone dropped into the water. It was easy to find and the phone works fine now afterwards.

I have also dropped the phone on the floor about once a week for years. It paid off buying a phone that tolerates to be dropped and has very sturdy glass. And that I have a very cushy phone cover around it.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #15284 on: October 08, 2022, 09:48:02 PM »
A few years ago I bought my water proof cell phone. Today it paid off. I was kayaking and was about to take a picture with my phone, close to shore. The phone dropped into the water. It was easy to find and the phone works fine now afterwards.

I have also dropped the phone on the floor about once a week for years. It paid off buying a phone that tolerates to be dropped and has very sturdy glass. And that I have a very cushy phone cover around it.

A good phone case is an excellent investment. My wife and I have been using "unicorn beetle" brand phone cases (from Amazon) for years and haven't had a single instance of damage from dropping our phones. And they do get dropped. The cases are extra thick and not very expensive, but they do make the phone a bit bulkier.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #15285 on: October 08, 2022, 09:51:10 PM »
Bought raspberries at my local produce market that were $2.49 for 18 oz. Such a deal! They were a bit sour, though, so I baked raspberry breakfast bars, which were delicious. As someone posted a few posts up, crappy fruit can usually be "rescued" by adding sugar and baking it, whether in a crisp, a crumble, or something else.

https://nurturedhomes.com/raspberry-breakfast-bars

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15286 on: October 14, 2022, 04:59:13 PM »
Was this the thread where someone shared the egg white cluster granola recipe??!  Here’s another recipe using sourdough starter to bind clusters and reduce sugar. Thought this group would appreciate it.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-granola-recipe?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=content&sf171371711=1

As for saving money, I packed my lunch today as usual, but it’s still an achievement. 

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15287 on: October 14, 2022, 06:54:11 PM »
I was about to place an order with a supplier for my business for some materials. I noticed they had a chat feature on their website, and I asked if they offered any additional discounts as I was about to place a $1,500 order (I suspect the average order value on this website is $100 or so). They offered me a 5% one-time coupon that saved me about $75. Plus, I was able to use our UPS account for billing which I'm sure will cost much less than the $130 shipping I was going to be paying.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15288 on: October 14, 2022, 07:29:38 PM »
Finally, after 10 months of bugging my contractor, I got all the correct paperwork to get a tax credit on the storm shelter we had installed in January.  I got the certificate today.  I'm actually kind of surprised that I got it at all because there was a cap on the total dollars that can be claimed in a given year and that number worked out to be only ~700 claims.  Hence why I had it done In January

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #15289 on: October 15, 2022, 03:02:59 AM »
Bought raspberries and blackberries on sale.

Packed a picnic lunch and spent a fun morning down by the river with friends.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15290 on: October 15, 2022, 02:05:43 PM »
-Used a $5 off grocery purchase coupon
-Turned really overripe bananas into banana bread
-Used iBotta to save $2 off of oat milk, making it just $1, for a large container
-Made my teen chicken in the oven, while baking the banana bread. Making the most of our gas usage.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15291 on: October 15, 2022, 07:09:06 PM »
My vacuum stopped sucking (or started to suck, depending how you look at it), so I took a couple things apart and figured out what the problem was. Now it's working better than it has in months and I didn't need to pay anyone for repairs! :-)

I also resisted a strong urge to buy lunch out on Thursday when I went to the farther-away farmer's market, which is next to a couple of fun take-out lunch spots. And since I went to the farmer's market on Thursday, I skipped the closer farmer's market today, where I usually end up buying fancy bread or pastries or something because there are three bakery stalls at that one, and I'm always so tempted.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #15292 on: October 15, 2022, 11:11:13 PM »
Stacked coupons to:

- Save $2.00 on 1 kg minced beef
- Save $0.50 on eggs
- Save $1.00 delivery fee
- Get free onions with delivery
- Save an extra $2.00 on the entire order

In total, saved ~20% on the order.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15293 on: October 16, 2022, 04:39:54 PM »
Bought a $1 spatula, climbed on the roof, tied my 9-year-old into a rope, and belayed him while he cleaned the high gutters.

(We were both in harnesses. The rope was tied off to a tree. I was self belayed off the tree. Perfectly safe.)

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15294 on: October 16, 2022, 05:44:05 PM »
Bought a $1 spatula, climbed on the roof, tied my 9-year-old into a rope, and belayed him while he cleaned the high gutters.

(We were both in harnesses. The rope was tied off to a tree. I was self belayed off the tree. Perfectly safe.)

Certainly one of the more creative ways to save money I've seen in a while. :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15295 on: October 16, 2022, 08:57:06 PM »

Winner!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #15296 on: October 17, 2022, 05:06:14 AM »

Brilliant!  Love it

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #15297 on: October 17, 2022, 11:10:05 AM »

Also one of the more creative ways to use a 9-year-old...

(Reminds me of some friends who rented a 4WD in Iceland and took a tour through the back country. They had to ford several rivers and the advice was to ford only those rivers you could successfully wade across. So when there was any doubt they sent their daughter out to wade across. A pretty creative use of offspring, I'd say. And she wasn't even belayed...)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15298 on: October 21, 2022, 04:23:27 PM »

Also one of the more creative ways to use a 9-year-old...

(Reminds me of some friends who rented a 4WD in Iceland and took a tour through the back country. They had to ford several rivers and the advice was to ford only those rivers you could successfully wade across. So when there was any doubt they sent their daughter out to wade across. A pretty creative use of offspring, I'd say. And she wasn't even belayed...)

Either of my kids would LOVE that!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15299 on: October 21, 2022, 08:25:17 PM »
After exhausting other options, I needed to replace an appliance. I signed up for the Home Depot credit card and saved about 15% of the purchase price. It is 0% interest for 6 months so I'll keep my money in savings for a while and pay it off in 5 months. As soon as it was delivered, I applied for a $100 rebate from my local utility.