Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13266323 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #18200 on: August 08, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »
A colleague inadvertently shed some light on her spending habits this week.

I knew she had held a more senior role at a different company before being made redundant. She just revealed that she took a 50 per cent pay cut when she joined our company (in her 60s in a shrinking industry - she didn't have a lot of choice).

I would guess she has dropped from $160k to $80k, but she's still spending like she's on $160k.

A $700 dress here, $900 boots there, expensive restaurants... all the while joking about how her mortgage pay-off strategy is to ignore it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:59:35 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #18201 on: August 08, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »
I have a newish boss who has mentioned many times that he has a summer home in Colorado (we're in Texas). On a recent longish car ride, he asked about my next vacation. I told him I would be going to Boulder to visit a friend who just moved there. Note that she has a place to live where I can crash. He was excited - you should go to my summer house! It's amazing and you'll love it! (This was not the first offer and his home isn't in Boulder and wtf would two people do with a 12 person house). So I asked about it- what made you decide on a summer home in CO? His reply was that he got an inheritance of 75k and decided to buy a home that sleeps TWELVE with another couple. They backed out. He got another partner, who backed out less than six months later. So now he pays two mortgages and lends out this summer home to whoever wants it, free of charge. It's generous, but excessive. This from a guy who has said that he'll never be able to retire because of the cost of kids, and who goes to CO maybe four times a year, yet still carries two mortgages. He drives a car that was gifted to him. He commuted 150+ miles each way every week and rented an apartment in the work city for NINE YEARS for a job. He's thinking of getting a management company to rent it so it can pay for itself. Choices, man. Choices. Jesus, how much more money can a person waste?!?! He's going to be flabbergasted when I leave my job for one with fewer work days for less pay because I don't have the STUFF he has.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #18202 on: August 08, 2017, 08:09:03 PM »
I work in a DoD IT environment. 75%+ of my co-workers are prior military (4-22 years service). Everyone on my team makes over $85k, some even have retirement pay plus fully paid healthcare. All of them hated their time in the military, every single one, hear this every happy hour or team lunch. Yet none, zero, want to invest in 529 plans or Florida Prepaid tuition. They say their kids will join the military if they don't get academic/athletic college scholarships. Come raise time, it's time for a fully-loaded truck, RV, timeshare condo, larger house, etc.

WTF would you send your kids down a path that you hated? I can see people joining the military as their parents never had the money, and the service and GI Bill was a viable option. But no one wants to break the cycle. Yes, keep on Bitching, Moaning, Whining about it.

It's not an earning problem, dimwits. It's a spending problem.
I'm keeping calm and stashing away.

Served 21 years and did 6 combat deployments. Completed my degree while on active duty, working full-time and raising a family. Loved every minute of it and you'll never hear me bitch. I have many good friends of whom I can say the same. Please don't let those coworkers color your impression of all vets. Two of my children are in college on academic scholarships already.

Thank you for your service :)

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18203 on: August 11, 2017, 07:30:36 AM »
A few of us were comparing 401k plans/matches from previous employers when this gem came up.

-Boss: I had a great match at my first employer (a big 4 accounting firm) but missed out on the whole match.
-Co-worker: What was the match?
-Boss: 100% match up to 6% (I might be messing that up slightly).
-Me: Wait, you turned down a guaranteed 100% ROI??
-Boss: Yeah well, there were bills to pay.

Couldn't manage to save/invest 6% of salary at a BIG FOUR firm.  Could only "afford" some percentage less than that.

This is the same boss who is leasing two vehicles for his family at $700+/month - minivan for mom/kids and a sedan (Camry? I forget) for him.  His justification is that Toyota Care covers the first two years of the lease, meaning he only has to pay for one year of maintenance before it's time for the next lease.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18204 on: August 11, 2017, 07:45:21 AM »

This is the same boss who is leasing two vehicles for his family at $700+/month - minivan for mom/kids and a sedan (Camry? I forget) for him.  His justification is that Toyota Care covers the first two years of the lease, meaning he only has to pay for one year of maintenance before it's time for the next lease.

That makes sense. Brand new Toyota's under warranty are extremely expensive to maintain.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18205 on: August 11, 2017, 07:59:27 AM »

That makes sense. Brand new Toyota's under warranty are extremely expensive to maintain.

Lol

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18206 on: August 11, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
We have a new young co-worker.
Some days ago she asked me if I knew the brand of her bag.
Me: No (I don't care and my bag was a free)
Her: It is this very expensive Swiss brand.
Me: I have never heard of them.
Her: Really?
Me: ...

Later I googled and found the price of her bag is almost 700 CHF. That's completely insane. Interestingly she also buys a Starbucks drink every day, but is then telling us thst she should save as she is starting some more educaton and will work less then.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18207 on: August 11, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »
Who asks "do you know the brand of my bag"?  That is a weird question unless you bought it at a thrift store and were trying to actually figure it out.

What is the point of that question beyond "look at me" and "compliment me"..??!  Hah,  I would likely then start suggesting that she start to get gel nails done or something, and that they would look so beautiful against her bag.....    (barf).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #18208 on: August 11, 2017, 06:29:05 PM »
Who asks "do you know the brand of my bag"?  That is a weird question unless you bought it at a thrift store and were trying to actually figure it out.

What is the point of that question beyond "look at me" and "compliment me"..??!  Hah,  I would likely then start suggesting that she start to get gel nails done or something, and that they would look so beautiful against her bag.....    (barf).

Sometimes my wife will say she likes a certain brand of dog.  Breed, I say?  No, brand. (but yes she means breed)

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18209 on: August 11, 2017, 08:30:31 PM »
(Backstory: I'm a clotheshorse. I don't buy new clothes as a policy (except lingerie) - everything I wear is vintage or secondhand. This is known around the office)

I was trying to fix a computer but got sucked into talking about these new shoes the co-worker had bought. They were cute - gold wedges - but I didn't think especially amazing, but apparently they are Kate Spade. She was pleased she's bought them on "sale" for $200. I wasn't going to say ANYTHING (I mean, I don't care what she spends her money on) but I got sucked in.

CW#1: (turns to me) "She just doesn't have enough time to shop for something vintage like you would."
Me: "Well, if she didn't have to work the hours to pay for $200 shoes, she would have the time."

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18210 on: August 11, 2017, 11:38:08 PM »

Sometimes my wife will say she likes a certain brand of dog.  Breed, I say?  No, brand. (but yes she means breed)

Wait till the corporations really start to take over and we start talking about certain brands of human. Won't be long now...

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #18211 on: August 13, 2017, 07:06:23 AM »
This just happened today. I need to rant.

I'm currently working and living at an offshore financial centre where individual tax is extremely low but cost of living is somewhat high. We had a lunch and learn today where I met 3 people from a different department. We started chatting about island life, travel, vacation and etc. One guy mentioned a former colleague called Bob who quitted the job last year and has been travelling the world since then. He currently stays in India since March become it costs close to nothing to live in that country. Another guy quickly jumped in and added that Bob was able to save $50k during his 2-year contract here. All 3 guys were saying what a miserable life he must be living in and it was impossible to save that much!  I just said sure he can, $50k is definitely doable. They all stared at me as if I'm an alien. One guy said no way, you need to live a life here. Another guy said that life is short, why would you want to save that much after all. And no matter how much you save, you still can't buy a property here or a place in London (where he comes from). The 3rd guy added that sure you can save a lot of money and may get hit by a bus as soon as you move back to London, so why save.

I was speechless. I know saving $50k in 2 years is doable and I can even show them the math but I just kept my mouth shut. According to them, Bob earned $74k per year. Based on my calc, he gets around $66k net, which is $5500 per month. 1bd rent+utility would cost him around $2000 per month. If he had a roommate, it would be even less. Another $500 for home cooked food, $200 for internet and cell. That leaves him $2800. Fun money and etc for another $300. He can save $2500 a month easily which is $60k for 2 years. Bob only saved $50k so the math certainly works out. By the way, I spent less in every category myself.

I earn a bit more than Bob did and my goal is to save $50k a year. I'm on my way to my goal as I was sitting at the lunch table with those guys. Like I said, I kept my mouth shut.
Your co-workers are idiots. Bob was definitely the smarter one. Are you on one of the British channel islands? Perhaps I should have a look at the jo postings for Guernsey or Jersey, two years in a job like that and I would be done in stead of the 5 years left in Belgium ...

Offshore islands are definitely places to go if you want to accelerate FI. I've spent $0 on entertainment and shopping so far cuz there is just nothing to buy. You would feel trapped and that's why lots of people fly out every once a while to breath.  Since I've already had a taste of this life, I want to try something different. Belgium sounds great. Maybe we can swap jobs? LOL
You would not want that! My current job is boring as hell. I worked 8 years back office for the financial markets and I guess I am one of those weird guys who actually find Currency options or swations really interesting and downright fun. But Brussels as a finance centre is dead so now out of the sector completely and well, if you are used to working on the ritme of the market floor everything else is soooo boring ...
Working on the islands currently doesn't make logistical sense .There is the wife and the pet pigs (and the fact the wife can not lift the feedbags for the pet pigs ...)

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18212 on: August 13, 2017, 07:06:50 AM »
(Backstory: I'm a clotheshorse. I don't buy new clothes as a policy (except lingerie) - everything I wear is vintage or secondhand. This is known around the office)

I was trying to fix a computer but got sucked into talking about these new shoes the co-worker had bought. They were cute - gold wedges - but I didn't think especially amazing, but apparently they are Kate Spade. She was pleased she's bought them on "sale" for $200. I wasn't going to say ANYTHING (I mean, I don't care what she spends her money on) but I got sucked in.

CW#1: (turns to me) "She just doesn't have enough time to shop for something vintage like you would."
Me: "Well, if she didn't have to work the hours to pay for $200 shoes, she would have the time."

Please tell me you got to walk off nonchalantly after that stellar burn!

Kansaslover5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18213 on: August 13, 2017, 04:15:54 PM »
A 70-year-old man still works at my plant even though he could have retired years ago. Has a pension and a 401k but won't quit because his ex-wife will get half his pension. Half of his pension is WAY more than anyone on this forum needs to FIRE -- not to mention the 401k, a paid off mortgage etc. I thought how sad that someone is so bitter that they'd rather work until they die than retire. Seems absolutely insane to me.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18214 on: August 13, 2017, 05:39:03 PM »
Two of my colleagues have complained to me about repeatedly having to buy things they know they own, because they find the originals in their cluttered homes.

Both said they would own a lifetime supply of wrapping paper but have no idea where it is, so just buy more.

One said she stocks up on greeting cards from a particular boutique, because she can't get this brand anywhere else, but then when a friend's birthday rolls around she goes through her stash and there's "nothing quite right" so she buys a new card anyway. But the cards she hoards are $15 each! Then she said, "I should just give them to charity. Or maybe I should bring them in here, maybe someone would use them."

I'm torn between, What a waste of money and Oooh, free stationery...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18215 on: August 13, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
A 70-year-old man still works at my plant even though he could have retired years ago. Has a pension and a 401k but won't quit because his ex-wife will get half his pension. Half of his pension is WAY more than anyone on this forum needs to FIRE -- not to mention the 401k, a paid off mortgage etc. I thought how sad that someone is so bitter that they'd rather work until they die than retire. Seems absolutely insane to me.
Maybe he's hoping that his ex will die first...

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18216 on: August 13, 2017, 07:08:12 PM »

Never underestimate the stupidity caused by revenge (actual or perceived).  BIL and exSIL situation, 3? years after the divorce finalized .

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18217 on: August 13, 2017, 09:10:24 PM »

In the USA, generally are divorce settlements like this terminated when the ex spouse remarries or dies?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18218 on: August 14, 2017, 12:11:20 AM »

Which is maybe why judges in this country grant the ex spouse a portion of the pension from a certain age, not when the other one eventually decides to retire.

My dad is one of those bitter guys that otherwise would be capable of doing something like that. My mum always worked and earned more than he did, but legally back in the days married women didn't pay into company pension schemes and private pension schemes were almost unheard of. She married at 20 and didn't start paying into a pension scheme again until she was 40. ( and no matter how much my dad complains about my mum 'stealing' his pension, you won't hear him complain about how she paid their mortgage all those years when he was un- or underemployed)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18219 on: August 14, 2017, 12:14:33 AM »

Which is maybe why judges in this country grant the ex spouse a portion of the pension from a certain age, not when the other one eventually decides to retire.

My dad is one of those bitter guys that otherwise would be capable of doing something like that. My mum always worked and earned more than he did, but legally back in the days married women didn't pay into company pension schemes and private pension schemes were almost unheard of. She married at 20 and didn't start paying into a pension scheme again until she was 40. ( and no matter how much my dad complains about my mum 'stealing' his pension, you won't hear him complain about how she paid their mortgage all those years when he was un- or underemployed)

:o

Are your parents still together?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18220 on: August 14, 2017, 12:24:41 AM »

:o

Are your parents still together?

No, they divorced some years ago, after being unhappily married for 30 years. Dividing the marital home, the pension and the furniture cost them 5 years and 50k. The kids were grown up and they didn't have real assets to divide.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18221 on: August 14, 2017, 05:32:00 AM »

In the USA, generally are divorce settlements like this terminated when the ex spouse remarries or dies?

Typically around here, the spouse would get half of the pension for the timeframe of the marriage

Lets say I have 10 years of marriage while earning my pension, which pays out at 2.3% per year of service. Then I divorce, and continue working another 20 years.

30 years of pension @ 2.3% per year = 69% of base salary as pension.

But the ex gets her "half" which is 10 years of pension @ 1.15% = 11.5%

Therefore, when taking the pension I would get 57.5% of base salary, ex would get 11.5% of base salary.

Which is notionally fair. Gains during the marriage are split upon divorce.

However, a lot of guys are so bitter, they will basically lie about the "half" the ex will be getting, and keep working out of spite.

MsSnowBlack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18222 on: August 14, 2017, 05:33:07 AM »

I'm currently working and living at an offshore financial centre where individual tax is extremely low but cost of living is somewhat high. We had a lunch and learn today where I met 3 people from a different department. We started chatting about island life, travel, vacation and etc. One guy mentioned a former colleague called Bob who quitted the job last year and has been travelling the world since then. He currently stays in India since March become it costs close to nothing to live in that country. Another guy quickly jumped in and added that Bob was able to save $50k during his 2-year contract here. All 3 guys were saying what a miserable life he must be living in and it was impossible to save that much!  I just said sure he can, $50k is definitely doable. They all stared at me as if I'm an alien. One guy said no way, you need to live a life here. Another guy said that life is short, why would you want to save that much after all. And no matter how much you save, you still can't buy a property here or a place in London (where he comes from). The 3rd guy added that sure you can save a lot of money and may get hit by a bus as soon as you move back to London, so why save.

I was speechless. I know saving $50k in 2 years is doable and I can even show them the math but I just kept my mouth shut. According to them, Bob earned $74k per year. Based on my calc, he gets around $66k net, which is $5500 per month. 1bd rent+utility would cost him around $2000 per month. If he had a roommate, it would be even less. Another $500 for home cooked food, $200 for internet and cell. That leaves him $2800. Fun money and etc for another $300. He can save $2500 a month easily which is $60k for 2 years. Bob only saved $50k so the math certainly works out. By the way, I spent less in every category myself.

I earn a bit more than Bob did and my goal is to save $50k a year. I'm on my way to my goal as I was sitting at the lunch table with those guys. Like I said, I kept my mouth shut.
Your co-workers are idiots. Bob was definitely the smarter one. Are you on one of the British channel islands? Perhaps I should have a look at the jo postings for Guernsey or Jersey, two years in a job like that and I would be done in stead of the 5 years left in Belgium ...

Offshore islands are definitely places to go if you want to accelerate FI. I've spent $0 on entertainment and shopping so far cuz there is just nothing to buy. You would feel trapped and that's why lots of people fly out every once a while to breath.  Since I've already had a taste of this life, I want to try something different. Belgium sounds great. Maybe we can swap jobs? LOL
At a previous job, some foreign assignments could be particularly lucrative--up to a 65% uplift in salary for the duration, plus tax assistance (employer pays the tax on the uplift), plus the company provides housing, transportation, etc for the duration.  IOW, you could be banking >100% of your (normal) salary without too much trouble.  I wanted one of those assignments, but sadly the scheduling didn't work out.

I dream about taking some of those jobs. Because of what I do, I see a lot of these situations all the time (clients). I also see how wasteful these people are. BTW, we as accountants get paid the lowest on islands and we get to see how ridiculous some people in Insurance and banks can earn. Free car, housing allowance, taxes paid for, and etc. Yet, there is this one gal who just upgraded her apartment from $5000 a month to $8000 a month. One gal, one bedroom! What can I say......

MsSnowBlack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18223 on: August 14, 2017, 05:42:58 AM »

You would not want that! My current job is boring as hell. I worked 8 years back office for the financial markets and I guess I am one of those weird guys who actually find Currency options or swations really interesting and downright fun. But Brussels as a finance centre is dead so now out of the sector completely and well, if you are used to working on the ritme of the market floor everything else is soooo boring ...
Working on the islands currently doesn't make logistical sense .There is the wife and the pet pigs (and the fact the wife can not lift the feedbags for the pet pigs ...)

I hear ya. It's hard to move once you have a family. That's why I wanna move as much as I can when I'm free and mobile. I turned down an offer in Luxembourg a while ago because I signed up my current job first. Maybe it's time to reconnect with them.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18224 on: August 14, 2017, 06:38:35 AM »
I hear ya. It's hard to move once you have a family. That's why I wanna move as much as I can when I'm free and mobile. I turned down an offer in Luxembourg a while ago because I signed up my current job first. Maybe it's time to reconnect with them.
You didn't miss on much. Luxembourg is incredibly boring and superficial. Nobody has ever moved to Luxembourg for any reason other than work or lowering their tax liability.

Source: close relatives who are actively plotting their escape.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18225 on: August 14, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »
You didn't miss on much. Luxembourg is incredibly boring and superficial. Nobody has ever moved to Luxembourg for any reason other than work or lowering their tax liability.

I am surprised by all the negative stories about Luxembourg and the Channel Islands. They are popular tourist destinations, you'd expect they would at least offer something in the way of entertainment.

If I had the opportunity, I'd certainly try Luxembourg. The city of Luxembourg is similar in size to my own city and I certainly enjoy it over here. And as Luxembourg is right in the heart of Europe, you can easily travel to other cities for the weekend if you're really bored.  But honestly, outside of work I don't really do much. I'm an introvert. I clean my house, cook nice meals, cycle around on a sunny day, when it's rainy I'll read a book or watch Netflix. Maybe I should seriously look for an expat job ... 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18226 on: August 14, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »

I am surprised by all the negative stories about Luxembourg and the Channel Islands. They are popular tourist destinations, you'd expect they would at least offer something in the way of entertainment.

If I had the opportunity, I'd certainly try Luxembourg. The city of Luxembourg is similar in size to my own city and I certainly enjoy it over here. And as Luxembourg is right in the heart of Europe, you can easily travel to other cities for the weekend if you're really bored.  But honestly, outside of work I don't really do much. I'm an introvert. I clean my house, cook nice meals, cycle around on a sunny day, when it's rainy I'll read a book or watch Netflix. Maybe I should seriously look for an expat job ...

Chiming in here, and I'll add that Luxembourg sucks! Was dating someone that was working there and went there to visit her and tried to enjoy my time there but after a day we left and got a hotel room in Paris to actually enjoy ourselves.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18227 on: August 14, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »

Chiming in here, and I'll add that Luxembourg sucks! Was dating someone that was working there and went there to visit her and tried to enjoy my time there but after a day we left and got a hotel room in Paris to actually enjoy ourselves.

I very nearly went there a few years back when I was staying in Trier. I wanted to cycle to Luxembourg but it never happened. Sounds like I didn't miss out on much? Trier is lovely though.

MsSnowBlack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18228 on: August 14, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »

I very nearly went there a few years back when I was staying in Trier. I wanted to cycle to Luxembourg but it never happened. Sounds like I didn't miss out on much? Trier is lovely though.

Well, No place would be worse off than an offshore island in terms of being bored. Besides, I will get paid well and have easy access to other parts of the Europe. I don't party, drink, or go clubbing so no need to be in the heart of NYC. High salary and easy access to other places in Europe is a win-win to me. I know cost of living will be high but I'm used to it now. Believe me, I'm living in the most expensive city on earth right now so every other place would be considered "cheaper".

There was another offer in Frankfurt but I would get paid much less though. i.e. hurt my FI

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18229 on: August 14, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »

Well, No place would be worse off than an offshore island in terms of being bored. Besides, I will get paid well and have easy access to other parts of the Europe. I don't party, drink, or go clubbing so no need to be in the heart of NYC. High salary and easy access to other places in Europe is a win-win to me. I know cost of living will be high but I'm used to it now. Believe me, I'm living in the most expensive city on earth right now so every other place would be considered "cheaper".
What is the "most expensive city on earth"?  I googled it and clicked on the top three links.  I found three different answers--Singapore, Hong Kong, and Zurich. 

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #18230 on: August 14, 2017, 05:44:46 PM »
Quote from: Paul der Krake link=topic=2540.msg1659596#msg1659596
Luxembourg is incredibly boring and superficial. Nobody has ever moved to Luxembourg for any reason other than work or lowering their tax liability.

You have close relatives in Luxembourg? Cool. My dad was actually 100% Luxembourgish - all of his great-grandparents emigrated from Luxembourg to the US in the mid-19th century. I've never been there, so I can't comment on how exciting it is.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18231 on: August 14, 2017, 06:03:09 PM »
Luxembourg is incredibly boring and superficial. Nobody has ever moved to Luxembourg for any reason other than work or lowering their tax liability.

You have close relatives in Luxembourg? Cool. My dad was actually 100% Luxembourgish...

Is that really the descriptor? Not Luxembourgers?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18232 on: August 14, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »
Mgosam what was so bad about Luxembourg? Just curious.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #18233 on: August 14, 2017, 08:25:49 PM »

You have close relatives in Luxembourg? Cool. My dad was actually 100% Luxembourgish...

Luxembourger is the noun, so saying "my dad was 100% Luxembourger" seems ungrammatical. Luxembourgish is the adjective that describes stuff from Luxembourg (including the language), so that seemed like a better choice. But I'm happy to be corrected.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18234 on: August 15, 2017, 02:44:08 AM »

I used a have a Dutch colleague who wanted to emigrate to Luxembourg, because it was his favorite country to be in. People are different.
I experienced the city as chaotic with traffic when I was there for a week some years ago.

MsSnowBlack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18235 on: August 15, 2017, 05:49:07 AM »

What is the "most expensive city on earth"?  I googled it and clicked on the top three links.  I found three different answers--Singapore, Hong Kong, and Zurich.

Guess there are different reports on this topic. My source is from The crazy tourist & Numbeo. By the way, most surveys don't even include the city where I currently live. Here is a nice comparison by me:

1. Singapore

Average price of a loaf of bread: $3.55

Average price of a bottle of wine: $23.68

Average price of a liter of gas: $1.44

My city

Average price of a loaf of bread: $6.50

Average price of a bottle of wine: $25

Average price of a liter of gas: $2.10

It is VERY expensive if not the most expensive. If I move to Luxembourg, I can go to Germany for shopping, geographic arbitrage is the key.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18236 on: August 15, 2017, 07:49:05 AM »

Guess there are different reports on this topic. My source is from The crazy tourist & Numbeo.

So... Zurich?

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18237 on: August 15, 2017, 08:50:02 AM »

Luxembourger is the noun, so saying "my dad was 100% Luxembourger" seems ungrammatical. Luxembourgish is the adjective that describes stuff from Luxembourg (including the language), so that seemed like a better choice. But I'm happy to be corrected.

Legally, all citizens of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg are considered to be Luxembourgers per Luxembourgish law, although a distinct ethnic identification is espoused and promoted. The corresponding adjective is "Luxembourgish"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxembourgers

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18238 on: August 15, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
Two colleagues spent quite a while yesterday discussing how much they will need to cut back in retirement, listing all the things that they won't be able to afford to do.

One said will have to give up her expensive shampoo.

I googled the brand. $115/litre! For shampoo. Then another $115 for conditioner.

She also said she won't be able to afford to keep colouring her hair.

She is over 60 now and needs to dye it to cover up the greys, which is fair enough. But then she said she's had her hair dyed every six weeks since she was 20, changing from brown to blonde to red, etc.

Retiring one day was obviously the last thing on her mind when she was forking out that money, but colouring it unnecessarily for all those years only to reluctantly acknowledge you won't be able to maintain it in retirement? What a waste.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18239 on: August 15, 2017, 08:42:35 PM »
Two colleagues spent quite a while yesterday discussing how much they will need to cut back in retirement, listing all the things that they won't be able to afford to do.

I googled the brand. $115/litre! For shampoo. Then another $115 for conditioner.

She also said she won't be able to afford to keep colouring her hair getting her hair coloured.

She is over 60 now and needs to dye it to cover up the greys, which is fair enough. But then she said she's had her hair dyed every six weeks since she was 20, changing from brown to blonde to red, etc.

Retiring one day was obviously the last thing on her mind when she was forking out that money, but colouring it unnecessarily for all those years only to reluctantly acknowledge you won't be able to maintain it in retirement? What a waste.

I have trouble believing she can't afford the cost of dye, it's like what 10 bucks a box?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18240 on: August 15, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »

She also said she won't be able to afford to keep colouring her hair getting her hair coloured.

I have trouble believing she can't afford the cost of dye, it's like what 10 bucks a box?

It is, but she didn't mention any plan to do that. Then again, when she inherited some money she had a face-lift rather than put the money towards her mortgage so, vanity at all costs.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18241 on: August 16, 2017, 08:02:51 AM »

I was about to come to her defense and say that nice shampoo is a cheap luxury--but holy cow, that ain't cheap. I was thinking my wife's approx. 2 liter bottle of nice shampoo that costs about $12.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18242 on: August 16, 2017, 08:34:14 AM »

I was about to come to her defense and say that nice shampoo is a cheap luxury--but holy cow, that ain't cheap. I was thinking my wife's approx. 2 liter bottle of nice shampoo that costs about $12.
Wow, holy shit.  Though my own perspective of shampoo/conditioner is warped due to being a 26 year old dude with a receding hairline.  Even $115/liter shampoo would probably still cost me less than $100/year.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18243 on: August 16, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »

I swear this pricing of ridiculous crap, is an intelligence test for people with too much money. Back in the 80-90s, I had a distant relative that was a member of the yacht owners and private island crowd. She made skin care products that were only marketed in very high end locations around the globe. She had a high volume cosmetics manufacturer produce drums of the crap, at a cost of a few bucks a gallon, and had it packaged into fancy bottles. These were marketed in a well produced displays explaining that they were ONLY available to very exclusive people, and only at the finest of locations. The implication being that, it was NEVER available in any place the commoners would have access. So, back then, you could go to any discount store and grab an eight ounce squeeze tube of the same stuff (labeled as generic, or house brand, skin moisturizer) for $3, or buy one OZ. while staying on some Greek island, for $30. We used to get the crap for free, and at that price, it was so unforgettable that it typically ended up in the trash, since nobody in the house bothered to use it.  It was nothing but a very profitable operation, based on the PT Barnum school of marketing.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #18244 on: August 16, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »
Two coworkers forking out dinero $$...but its a GREAT DEAL!!! for new great big trucks with bells and whistles....LEASING, 18000kms/yr... $260/month... Nope not construction workers, not lawn care guys ... office workers...SO of one of the guys was worried about the parking garage and how to make the turns  ... sigh... though I suppose my not really mustachian mini van isn't any better ... but I do walk to work or ride my bike when I can! 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:17:44 PM by SweetLife »

CrabbitDutchie

• Stubble
« Reply #18245 on: August 16, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »
Not really overheard, but conversation with my old boss (an avid cyclist who on the whole seems pretty sensible with money) about the new job I'm taking which is a lot closer to where I live (12 miles each way instead of 27).

Me - I was thinking it might actually be possible to do that commute by bike. I could get a nice wee hybrid with a decent amount of gears and some road tyres. What do you think?

Him - Well road tyres make a big difference, but you know you could buy a car for maybe £150 a month

Me - ???

I think he maybe actually recognises that I'd be doing it mainly to save money and was trying to help by making me aware that I could drive a nice new safe car for just one low, easily affordable, monthly payment.
I already have use of a car (my boyfriend and I share 1 car and I currently use it to commute at least 90% of the time), why on earth would I want a new one?
Facepalm.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #18246 on: August 16, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »

I swear this pricing of ridiculous crap, is an intelligence test for people with too much money. Back in the 80-90s, I had a distant relative that was a member of the yacht owners and private island crowd. She made skin care products that were only marketed in very high end locations around the globe. She had a high volume cosmetics manufacturer produce drums of the crap, at a cost of a few bucks a gallon, and had it packaged into fancy bottles. These were marketed in a well produced displays explaining that they were ONLY available to very exclusive people, and only at the finest of locations. The implication being that, it was NEVER available in any place the commoners would have access. So, back then, you could go to any discount store and grab an eight ounce squeeze tube of the same stuff (labeled as generic, or house brand, skin moisturizer) for $3, or buy one OZ. while staying on some Greek island, for $30. We used to get the crap for free, and at that price, it was so unforgettable that it typically ended up in the trash, since nobody in the house bothered to use it.  It was nothing but a very profitable operation, based on the PT Barnum school of marketing.

On the same note a few years back a well known label came out with "the best face cream ever!" made from .... drum roll please... snail slime  priced at over 40euros for a little tiny jar ...

You couldn't pay ME any amount to put snail slime on my face blech.... my hubby and I had a laugh about it though.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #18247 on: August 16, 2017, 03:55:19 PM »

I remember a story similar. The details are fuzzy though. I can't remember the brand or where I saw/read it. A certain makeup brand was trying to break into the market at an affordable but still expensive range (like Revlon or loreal compared to the $2 brands). Couldn't make a mark so they repackaged the exact same product into fancy packaging, rebranded and launched in department stores for premium prices. Sales increased dramatically. People are strange.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #18248 on: August 16, 2017, 04:35:23 PM »
Guy at my last job had a deal go sideways for a severance package around 2008.  He stayed at the company into his 70s to "get what he was owed."

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18249 on: August 16, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »

Bingo. Mine is about $12/litre but I only buy it when it's half price.