Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253319 times)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #20150 on: May 25, 2018, 01:48:07 AM »
Senior employee ten days after payday: "I've only got £20 left from my last paycheck."

Also senior employee: "I would be able to do my job better if I had an ID and password to get into the wages. I need to be able to do the wages in case something happens to [other senior employee, whose job it is], and I need to be able to look at the wages sometimes because the staff come to me with queries. And I can't understand why [other senior employee] took back the job of paying all the accounts when I used to do it. Do you think she doesn't trust me? Will you speak to her about it?"

I've got a nasty suspicious mind, and I've seen skimming in my line of work before. I raked out and scrutinised all the bank statements from the period in which this employee was paying the accounts. There was nothing of concern, but someone who spends conspicuously on beauty treatments, clothes, and meals out and thinks tearing through their monthly paycheck in the first ten days of the month is nothing to be ashamed of isn't getting near the business accounts on my watch.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20151 on: May 25, 2018, 03:42:00 AM »
There's two new people in my office since 1-2 weeks. Today was payday and one told me relieved that her money had hit her account as she's almost ran out. She has just moved over here and told me how her move had cost $3000 on rent/deposit/new furniture! She then said that her savings to begin with had only been about $3500 so that there had only been $500 left for the remainder of the month.

She also proudly told me that she's set up a $200 transfer to her savings account each month though, so at least she's not completely irresponsibly living paycheck to paycheck. When she asked me if did the same, I told her I did, but that I also didn't have many issues saving so that it wasn't a big deal for me. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20152 on: May 25, 2018, 06:54:40 AM »
There's two new people in my office since 1-2 weeks. Today was payday and one told me relieved that her money had hit her account as she's almost ran out. She has just moved over here and told me how her move had cost $3000 on rent/deposit/new furniture! She then said that her savings to begin with had only been about $3500 so that there had only been $500 left for the remainder of the month.

She also proudly told me that she's set up a $200 transfer to her savings account each month though, so at least she's not completely irresponsibly living paycheck to paycheck. When she asked me if did the same, I told her I did, but that I also didn't have many issues saving so that it wasn't a big deal for me.

I don't understand how this is anti-mmm unless you left more details out. 

Is she 22yo or 55yo?

At 22yo, if I remember correctly, about $600 in my savings account. Being poor and not having any clue about savings/investing/budgeting can really fuck you over.

Did she move across the country or two blocks over?

When young and without any financial support from your parents, making a big move can put a hurting on your finances - specially if you're just starting out.

What's her current income - $1500/$3k/$5k monthly?

Saving $200 a month seems to be a good starting point for a new employee. I have a few coworkers who are -$200 each week after paying/buying the crap they do. They just keep adding to their CC balances.

Seems a bit harsh on the "looking down at people" category.

I think she meant spending 3000 on furniture when you only have 3500 in your savings? Of course, it depends on how much money is tied up in the first month of rent and the deposit, but in every college town you can get barely used Ikea furniture for nearly free.

Automatic transfers to a savings account are great though. I always tell everyone to set it up and forget about it - that's the only preaching I do all the time. (I'm willing to go in more detail, if people ask)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20153 on: May 25, 2018, 06:58:59 AM »

I don't understand how this is anti-mmm unless you left more details out. 

Is she 22yo or 55yo?

At 22yo, if I remember correctly, about $600 in my savings account. Being poor and not having any clue about savings/investing/budgeting can really fuck you over.

Did she move across the country or two blocks over?

When young and without any financial support from your parents, making a big move can put a hurting on your finances - specially if you're just starting out.

What's her current income - $1500/$3k/$5k monthly?

Saving $200 a month seems to be a good starting point for a new employee. I have a few coworkers who are -$200 each week after paying/buying the crap they do. They just keep adding to their CC balances.

Seems a bit harsh on the "looking down at people" category.

I think she meant spending 3000 on furniture when you only have 3500 in your savings? Of course, it depends on how much money is tied up in the first month of rent and the deposit, but in every college town you can get barely used Ikea furniture for nearly free.

Automatic transfers to a savings account are great though. I always tell everyone to set it up and forget about it - that's the only preaching I do all the time. (I'm willing to go in more detail, if people ask)

That was my main point indeed! For comparison; I did a similar move (different side of the country, similar distance, 0 furniture to start with) half a year ago and it cost me <$1000.

I wasn't trying to bitch over her amount of savings and I actually think the $200/month transfer is a great thing. She's just moved to a new place and started a new job so she probably also has to figure out how her expenses will turn out here.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:27:18 AM by Hirondelle »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20154 on: May 28, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
A colleague of my husband's occasionally goes to a Washington Nationals game (pro baseball). Coworker noticed the same youngish guy sitting a few rows ahead of him each time. Got to chatting with him, turns out he's a season ticket holder and sees every game. Unlike many people in the DC area, he grew up here, and it's been his team since he was a kid.

He lives in Utah.

He flies in for every home stand.

At least he stays at his brother's place, not in a hotel. Even so, all told, he spends about $50k a year to see the Nats play. Significantly more than the median US income.

tungu2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20155 on: May 29, 2018, 09:55:05 AM »
Somehow we ended up discussing a particular designer bag.

Me: But taking into account you salary, you'll have to work for 2 weeks to pay for just one bag!

two people said it was perfectly fine. One is renting a horrible place (28 yo); the other lives with his parents at 23.

the first girl also mentioned that her clothes budget per month is 5 times her food budget. And that she has 0 savings and usually lives paycheck to paycheck.

Needless to say, we are educated white-collar workers.

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #20156 on: May 29, 2018, 10:21:05 AM »
Coworker didn't say she spent $3k on new furniture, she said she spent $3k on rent/deposits/furniture. This doesn't seem crazy to me. I remember my first apartment, I had to pay first and last upfront and give deposits to all the utility companies to set up service. It added up quickly, even with buying furniture at thrift stores. There are ways to make moving cheap, but they aren't always available to everyone.

Thank you, I read that number and didn't think it was "extravagant" at all. I recently moved as well and I had to pay the security deposit and the first month's rent at the same time -- this alone cost me almost $3000. A Uhaul for one weekend also cost me over $600(!!). So without even buying a single piece of toilet paper I've spent over $3000. Moving is expensive, and to the poster above who was able to move for <$1000 consider yourself fortunate because it does not work out that way for everyone.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20157 on: May 29, 2018, 10:25:29 AM »
Somehow we ended up discussing a particular designer bag.

Me: But taking into account you salary, you'll have to work for 2 weeks to pay for just one bag!

two people said it was perfectly fine. One is renting a horrible place (28 yo); the other lives with his parents at 23.

the first girl also mentioned that her clothes budget per month is 5 times her food budget. And that she has 0 savings and usually lives paycheck to paycheck.

Needless to say, we are educated white-collar workers.
wow...so assuming her food budget is $200, she thinks spending $1000 a month on clothes is 'okay'?

I've never understood designer purses.  I understand buying good quality leather over crap, but one desinger's bags look like bowling ball bags to me (big bulky leather things) and another one looks like diaper bags to me (quilted and flowery)

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #20158 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »
Coworker didn't say she spent $3k on new furniture, she said she spent $3k on rent/deposits/furniture. This doesn't seem crazy to me. I remember my first apartment, I had to pay first and last upfront and give deposits to all the utility companies to set up service. It added up quickly, even with buying furniture at thrift stores. There are ways to make moving cheap, but they aren't always available to everyone.

Thank you, I read that number and didn't think it was "extravagant" at all. I recently moved as well and I had to pay the security deposit and the first month's rent at the same time -- this alone cost me almost $3000. A Uhaul for one weekend also cost me over $600(!!). So without even buying a single piece of toilet paper I've spent over $3000. Moving is expensive, and to the poster above who was able to move for <$1000 consider yourself fortunate because it does not work out that way for everyone.

In my area, rent for a bare minimum 1 bedroom/studio is $700, and to move in first/last/1 mo security is the norm. So $2100, just to get the key to a place. What is more typical is a 1 bedroom at $850-1200, or $2550-$3600. Haven't even physically moved a single item into the new place, so there's still the trailer/truck, and movers if you spring for them.

Now, $3k on just furniture? Yea, little out there, especially if it was all at once for just a handful of items. $3k on your total home, over a period of careful purchasing and curating for your wants? I could see that being reasonable as well.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20159 on: May 30, 2018, 01:26:31 AM »
We moved last year and probably spent £3000 on paint and furnitureand curtains. We had basically nothing and had to furnish a whole house at once. The only things we bought new were appliances and a mattress. I made all the curtains myself. But it adds up!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20160 on: May 30, 2018, 05:44:03 AM »

In my area, rent for a bare minimum 1 bedroom/studio is $700, and to move in first/last/1 mo security is the norm. So $2100, just to get the key to a place. What is more typical is a 1 bedroom at $850-1200, or $2550-$3600. Haven't even physically moved a single item into the new place, so there's still the trailer/truck, and movers if you spring for them.

Now, $3k on just furniture? Yea, little out there, especially if it was all at once for just a handful of items. $3k on your total home, over a period of careful purchasing and curating for your wants? I could see that being reasonable as well.

I never tried to say that spending $3k on a move is always outrageous/extravagant. I never actually said that. All I meant was that if you have only €3500 of savings, in THAT situation, spending almost all of that on moving isn't a very wise thing to do. I might've framed it poorly by first mentioning the amount of $$ spent on the move and only then starting about the savings.

Now I didn't mention the COL; so to provide some more background:
- Her rent is €500-550 for a small studio apartment (carpeted, so no paint needed). Normal is to pay 1m deposit + 1st month. So that's €1100.
- Renting a van can be done for <€100 (for me it was €70), let's add another €150 on gas (was 90 in my case).

So that's another €1750 left that's probably been spend on furniture.

The reason I compared it to my own numbers was because I'm in literally the same situation (same job, same salary, same age, same distance of move, SINK etc.) so to me it sounded high due to 1. I did it for less than half and 2. She almost used all of her savings for it which isn't something I'd risk if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20161 on: May 30, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »
In the break room today I got to talking with someone who saw me preparing my morning oatmeal (fancy! With lots of frozen cherries and berries and peanut butter).

“I’m switching to Starbucks oatmeal from their breakfast sandwiches.”

Me: “oh, but oatmeal is so easy to do yourself.”

“Well, i am at Starbucks for my morning coffee so I switch from the breakfast sandwich to oatmeal. It is better for the health, you know.”

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20162 on: May 30, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »
In the break room today I got to talking with someone who saw me preparing my morning oatmeal (fancy! With lots of frozen cherries and berries and peanut butter).

“Well, i am at Starbucks for my morning coffee so I switch from the breakfast sandwich to oatmeal. It is better for the health, you know.”
Gah... nothing quite like paying $4.99 for one serving some damn oats.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20163 on: May 31, 2018, 07:09:52 AM »
Not overheard but direct conversation.

Co-worker is finally moving into the house they bought due to transferring to the office.  (after 6 months of searching, renovating and living with family). They got their household goods last week.  Apparently a lot of furniture is being sent to the "barn" (garage) because they needed new things for the new house.

eav

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20164 on: May 31, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »
One day payroll delay today- expected to get paid tomorrow. Of course everyone is losing it in the office sending emails to HR about having "bills to pay" as if HR can do anything about the delay. I'm sitting here in disbelief that a one day delay would have such an impact on people's lives...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20165 on: May 31, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »
One day payroll delay today- expected to get paid tomorrow. Of course everyone is losing it in the office sending emails to HR about having "bills to pay" as if HR can do anything about the delay. I'm sitting here in disbelief that a one day delay would have such an impact on people's lives...

Yup, and now just imagine how they would react to being fired or laid off.

Or if they to pay off an urgent medical bill or house repair (like AC unit needing to get replaced, just happened to me). How many of them could casually write a check to get it replaced?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20166 on: May 31, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »
...or car maintenance?  How could they have possibly predicted they would need new tires after only driving 50k miles on old tires with 50k mi worth of tread left?

Lynda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20167 on: May 31, 2018, 02:52:51 PM »
Or if gas prices go up a nickel they "can't afford to go on a summer vacation". They interview that guy on the news every time gas prices wobble at all.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #20168 on: May 31, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »
A colleague of my husband's occasionally goes to a Washington Nationals game (pro baseball). Coworker noticed the same youngish guy sitting a few rows ahead of him each time. Got to chatting with him, turns out he's a season ticket holder and sees every game. Unlike many people in the DC area, he grew up here, and it's been his team since he was a kid.

He lives in Utah.

He flies in for every home stand.

At least he stays at his brother's place, not in a hotel. Even so, all told, he spends about $50k a year to see the Nats play. Significantly more than the median US income.

They've only been in DC since 2005!  Did he grow up partly in Montreal?  Or is he 22?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20169 on: May 31, 2018, 05:20:08 PM »
Co-worker (er, volunteer) at the thrift store today says she's always cold at home in the summer because her husband insists on setting the A/C to 71(!)  I asked how low he set it in the winter.  75!  What the...

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20170 on: June 01, 2018, 08:03:11 AM »
Co-worker (er, volunteer) at the thrift store today says she's always cold at home in the summer because her husband insists on setting the A/C to 71(!)  I asked how low he set it in the winter.  75!  What the...

Not work-related, but had friends say they set the a/c/ at 66 overnight in the summers.

We're more of a 75 in the summers / 65 in the winters (we'll actually go down to like 61-62 overnight in the winters).

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20171 on: June 01, 2018, 02:41:50 PM »

Not work-related, but had friends say they set the a/c/ at 66 overnight in the summers.

We're more of a 75 in the summers / 65 in the winters (we'll actually go down to like 61-62 overnight in the winters).

The Boy has many fine frugal qualities but he was setting his heat at like 73 degrees and his AC at basically the same. He made a big joke about being cold when I, umm, shamed him on it and he reduced the heat to 70.

Our new apartment lacks central AC (wall units only, one per floor), which I imagine will be an adjustment for him!

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #20172 on: June 01, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
CW: Hey you know about investing stuff right?
Me: A little I guess.
CW: how is this mutual fund I have $10k in doing.
Me: well you invested $10k in 2010 and it is now 2018 so I'd say it is not doing very well.
CW: That is what I thought but I didn't lose any money so that is good.
Me: Well actually you lost money to inflation so there is that.
CW: But I didn't loose any money money right?
Me: No the dollar amount is virtually the same but the value is different now. You could have thrown it into an index fund and performed better over the years.
CW: Like the S&P 500? I want to invest in that can you show me how to do that? I don't really need the money anyways.

*Help the guy set up account, transfer the funds and buy a mix of stock and bond index funds.*
*made mistake of going on vacation for a week*

CW: What the heck man?
Me : oh whats that?
CW: I lost $86 on that investment last week. Thats like a days wages.
Me: (*Thought to myself you make +80k per year...*)
Me: On a 10k investment that is a pretty small change.
CW: Its ok man I cannot take risks like that this is my retirement savings.
Me: I thought you said you didn't need the money?
CW: Ya, Not right now. I am not buying a car or anything this month.
Me: (*it is clear now why you are in your 50's and have only $10k savings*)
CW: I sold everything and put it into something called gold CD's. I read an article on FB that when Donald Trump starts nuclear war gold will be worth a lot.
Me: oh ok well I am glad you got it all figured. Sorry you lost $86 and some fees. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20173 on: June 01, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »
Me: well you invested $10k in 2010 and it is now 2018 so I'd say it is not doing very well.
Me: No the dollar amount is virtually the same but the value is different now. You could have thrown it into an index fund and performed better over the years.
CW: Like the S&P 500? I want to invest in that can you show me how to do that? I don't really need the money anyways.

*Help the guy set up account, transfer the funds and buy a mix of stock and bond index funds.*

CW: I sold everything and put it into something called gold CD's. I read an article on FB that when Donald Trump starts nuclear war gold will be worth a lot.
Me: oh ok well I am glad you got it all figured. Sorry you lost $86 and some fees.

Painful to read.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #20174 on: June 01, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »
This is a joke right?
Nuclear war? Gold?

I wish it was. I am not creative enough to make this shit up.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #20175 on: June 01, 2018, 06:06:40 PM »
My city has these household cleanup days twice a year where you can put just about anything at the curb, and it will be picked up by the city.  It is very common to see people stopping at each house's pile of junk to see if there is anything of value there or anything that can be used for parts, etc.

So I overheard a co worker of mone saying how his friend takes this junk day off work each year, because he loves to see what he can find for free.  But "it must be a waste of money because he drives his truck around all day with a trailer attached and that burns a crap ton of gas doing that".  The kicker is that the guy saying this drives a large truck, about 50KM round trip each day, but yet, doesn't seem to realize how much gas he is wasting every...single...day. 

MustacheBeginner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20176 on: June 02, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »

Thank you that is exactly what I want to read here :)
Just wow...

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20177 on: June 02, 2018, 06:08:20 PM »

Just wow...

Did CW really say"something called gold CD's" or was that a confusion/paraphrase from Swish?

Perhaps .......
???https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_compact_disc
1st google hit for gold CD

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #20178 on: June 04, 2018, 12:31:30 AM »

Just wow...

Did CW really say"something called gold CD's" or was that a confusion/paraphrase from Swish?

Perhaps .......
He probably meant CFDs, which is, if you think about it, extra stupid because it combines the low returns of gold investments with the crisis vulnerability of bank bonds.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #20179 on: June 04, 2018, 08:24:06 AM »

Just wow...

Perhaps .......

Lawl he might have been further off buying compact discs. He is set up on QT so I assume he just bought a CFD like barbaz mentioned. 

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #20180 on: June 04, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »

Just wow...

Perhaps .......
He probably meant CFDs, which is, if you think about it, extra stupid because it combines the low returns of gold investments with the crisis vulnerability of bank bonds.

At least it is traded in USD instead of something worthless like physical gold ;P

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20181 on: June 04, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »

At least it is traded in USD instead of something worthless like physical gold ;P

You can't eat gold. That's why I have all my investments in chicken bouillon.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20182 on: June 04, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »

Chicken bullion? precious chicken.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #20183 on: June 04, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »

That is so SF Bay. I have work acquaintances that spend $25 per day on coffee plus drinks and breakfast for the kids at Starbucks. $ adds up quickly.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20184 on: June 04, 2018, 05:27:23 PM »
One from last week:

I have a co-worker who is often scraping by, barely able to make ends meet, who makes the worst financial decisions. Past gems have included: courtside seats at an NBA game last year for her wife's birthday (to make memories...sadly her wife has alzheimers so it's horrible but she's probably not going to remember it), maintaining two vehicles, both with bad gas mileage (and possibly payments still?) even though her wife will never drive again, getting so hammered out at bars that she got into a fight or got assaulted or something but wasn't sure about the details because she blacked out, two expensive, high maintenance dogs with "doggy day care" on a regular basis (even though there is someone home during the day, she sends the dogs to "doggy day care" often because "they like it"), etc. The latest? $3000 on front row seats to see Pink in concert, plus t-shirt (because what's a t-shirt on top of $3000 I suppose). It's so painful to watch because prior to the diagnosis her wife was the "responsible" one and would at least keep their finances in marginal shape. Now it's a total shit-show, but she's not particularly open to advice.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20185 on: June 04, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »

OMG, this is for real???

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20186 on: June 04, 2018, 10:43:38 PM »

Chicken bullion? precious chicken.

I went panning in a river once, but didn't find any chicken nuggets.  Total waste of time.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20187 on: June 04, 2018, 10:56:04 PM »

Except for being in his 50s, this could be almost word-for-word describing conversations I've had with a friend who I got to open an investment account.  I'm not sure if he pulled out the money or not, but he sure wasn't happy with its performance this year. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20188 on: June 05, 2018, 02:11:10 AM »
One from last week:

I have a co-worker who is often scraping by, barely able to make ends meet, who makes the worst financial decisions. Past gems have included: courtside seats at an NBA game last year for her wife's birthday (to make memories...sadly her wife has alzheimers so it's horrible but she's probably not going to remember it), maintaining two vehicles, both with bad gas mileage (and possibly payments still?) even though her wife will never drive again, getting so hammered out at bars that she got into a fight or got assaulted or something but wasn't sure about the details because she blacked out, two expensive, high maintenance dogs with "doggy day care" on a regular basis (even though there is someone home during the day, she sends the dogs to "doggy day care" often because "they like it"), etc. The latest? $3000 on front row seats to see Pink in concert, plus t-shirt (because what's a t-shirt on top of $3000 I suppose). It's so painful to watch because prior to the diagnosis her wife was the "responsible" one and would at least keep their finances in marginal shape. Now it's a total shit-show, but she's not particularly open to advice.

Reminds me a bit of my FIL, while my MIL has dementia. FIL still owns 2 cars. The second one is parked at his son's house. Son doesn't have a driver's license, but his GF has. The idea is that they can use that car to drive and visit FIL with their child. To me it seems that FIL is just paying for the car, while the son and GF have good jobs.

FIL likes to take MIL driving in his car every day. He says she enjoyed it (in the beginning). Nowadays she usually falls asleep after a minute. At one time MIL opened the car door while driving 80 km/h. FIL stopped, door swayed forward and the hinge was broken. New door had to be put it.

I do get the point why someone would buy a concert ticket to a demented person. Even though the person won't remember the concert later, it will probably give a nice experience at that moment, if the artist is a familiar one from the past days.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20189 on: June 05, 2018, 04:24:52 AM »
Me: I have a bit of threshold cycling to work. I rather walk. How about you, you live close to work as well? Do you ever cycle?
Co-worker: I don't ever cycle. I don't even own a bicycle.

The co-worker is a very sporty person.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20190 on: June 05, 2018, 12:23:05 PM »
I do get the point why someone would buy a concert ticket to a demented person. Even though the person won't remember the concert later, it will probably give a nice experience at that moment, if the artist is a familiar one from the past days.

In theory I agree with you, but $3000 for front row seats when they don't have the money (seats were available MUCH, MUCH cheaper than that, but they always have to have "the best"), combined with the fact that her wife who has dementia is really uncomfortable in crowds and spent half the time cowering (co-worker said so) makes me sad.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20191 on: June 05, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »

That is so SF Bay. I have work acquaintances that spend $25 per day on coffee plus drinks and breakfast for the kids at Starbucks. $ adds up quickly.

Yeah, I shudder to imagine what my brother and his wife spend on their child. I remember reading about a bakery that has $4 slices of toast in the Bay area and mentioned it to his wife and she shrugged and said, "That's what things cost here."

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20192 on: June 05, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »
As a Bay Area resident I disagree that toast just costs $4. Then again, I don’t really go out to eat toast. If I’m going out to eat I’m going to enjoy something that I can’t make myself at home. Sui Zhu Yu anyone?  Yum!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20193 on: June 05, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
As a Bay Area resident I disagree that toast just costs $4. Then again, I don’t really go out to eat toast. If I’m going out to eat I’m going to enjoy something that I can’t make myself at home. Sui Zhu Yu anyone?  Yum!

Agreed, it CAN cost that much, doesn't mean it has to.  I think some people just like paying high prices for stuff because it makes them feel... better, rich, trendy?  I dunno.  A friend of mine not in SF said she was talking to a friend of hers about how beers at the bar here are $8 and 'omg I can't believe you pay $8 for a beer'.  I said, 'well I COULD spend $8 for a beer, if I wanted, but you don't have to, and I don't.  I can also tell you where to find $2 PBRs and $3 draft microbrews in SF, too.'

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20194 on: June 06, 2018, 01:33:16 AM »
A guy at work just said he has spend $2500 on alcohol in the last 3 weeks. There was no special occasion in this period, just going out with mates

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20195 on: June 06, 2018, 07:27:10 AM »
A guy at work just said he has spend $2500 on alcohol in the last 3 weeks. There was no special occasion in this period, just going out with mates

Vegas? Haha

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20196 on: June 06, 2018, 07:33:50 AM »
Preparing for a party for child that becomes of age ("konfirmasjon" in Norwegian):

Co-worker: "We are making so many cakes, we're going to have 1 cake per person."
Us: "Bring the remaining cakes to work the next day!"

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #20197 on: June 06, 2018, 02:08:25 PM »
Preparing for a party for child that becomes of age ("konfirmasjon" in Norwegian):

Co-worker: "We are making so many cakes, we're going to have 1 cake per person."
Us: "Bring the remaining cakes to work the next day!"

Love how close many Norwegian words are to English.  konfirmasjon = confirmation
Not every word of course but with a good ear it is possible to figure out most of when people say, either direction.

This applies to many Northern European/Scandinavian languages.  (Not counting Finnish!)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20198 on: June 06, 2018, 03:46:52 PM »

Vegas? Haha

no just in Perth, Australia.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20199 on: June 07, 2018, 09:14:28 PM »
Me: I have a bit of threshold cycling to work. I rather walk. How about you, you live close to work as well? Do you ever cycle?
Co-worker: I don't ever cycle. I don't even own a bicycle.

The co-worker is a very sporty person.

I know lots of sporty people (athletics, mostly) who do not own a bicycle and will not own a bicycle in case they get sucked into the time and money pit called triathlon.