Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252519 times)

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
Overheard at Work
« Reply #9700 on: August 05, 2015, 07:22:52 AM »
Sorry English is not my native language, maybe I am not explaining with the right words.

Polo:

Capital-punishment-deserving crime against humanity:

@MoonShadow are you telling me that in the U.S. we actually install heaters inside of A/C vents?
How fucked up is that?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:30:46 AM by Seppia »

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9701 on: August 05, 2015, 07:26:13 AM »

"Hello guys how are you doing today?"

*BANG BANG BANG*

*applause*

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9702 on: August 05, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
Overheard on the way to work:

Professional panhandler. He was talking about his spots with his lady and how well he was doing. Seriously, dude earns more per day than minimum wage (significantly more) and doesn't pay tax on it. This is why I never give money to them.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9703 on: August 05, 2015, 08:04:57 AM »
There is nothing wrong with a short sleeve button down shirt. I have a couple of those as part of my work clothes.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9704 on: August 05, 2015, 08:08:07 AM »
Sorry English is not my native language, maybe I am not explaining with the right words.

Polo:

Capital-punishment-deserving crime against humanity:

@MoonShadow are you telling me that in the U.S. we actually install heaters inside of A/C vents?
How fucked up is that?

Polo shirts are an abomination unto the lord. They don't look good on anyone. I especially hate it when companies make women wear them. Just so basic and awful.

A nice short-sleeve dress shirt, possibly in seersucker or a linen, is much much more attractive to my eyes.

I agree with not wearing a tie with it, though. It's too hot for ties in the summer anyway.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9705 on: August 05, 2015, 08:21:17 AM »
I guess it's a matter of opinion. Polo shirts scream "basic fratboy" to me, regardless of the fit, color, cut, whatever.

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #9706 on: August 05, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
I guess it's a matter of opinion. Polo shirts scream "basic fratboy" to me, regardless of the fit, color, cut, whatever.

I'm reading this while wearing a polo.  :(

Eh - I'm OK.  :)

And to add an "Overheard at Work" conversation:  I was talking about how uncomfortable I was with spending the money for the car I just bought.  I paid $4500 for a 2005 Mazda, and I really like the car - but that was a lot of cash out of the stash.  One of my coworkers:

CW: You're worried about $4500?  That Chevy Tahoe we just bought costs $62k!
Me: Sweet merciful crap!
CW: Oh, we didn't pay that, though.  We paid just $57k.  But with three kids now, we really needed the space.

Coworker is a manager, but given the company salary ranges that's probably 2/3 of a year's salary.  She commutes 25 miles one way in that vehicle by herself every day.  Her husband commutes 60 miles the other direction.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:32:58 AM by Fuzzy Buttons »

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #9707 on: August 05, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »

Collar down, normal guy;  collar popped - Fratboy.

Collar popped with khaki shorts and boat shoes - someone who deserves to be set on fire.  Not FIRE, but fire, like with flames and such.

I usually associate polo shirts with 'business casual' or golfing. 

A short sleeve button-down is associated in my mind with someone who will ramble on about something only they find interesting in way too much detail.

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #9708 on: August 05, 2015, 08:33:27 AM »

To me, Polo shirts scream mustachian because they're inexpensive, can be worn in just about any non-formal setting, and can be worn with just about any bottom.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9709 on: August 05, 2015, 08:42:03 AM »

You're not the only one.  Not so much 'basic fratboy' for me but 'generic person'.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9710 on: August 05, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »

You're not the only one.  Not so much 'basic fratboy' for me but 'generic person'.

Very interesting to see all the polo shirt hate. I wear them every single day. Cheap, casual, comfortable, breathable.

Also, since when are we defined by our clothing/style/look? Am I on the correct forum?

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #9711 on: August 05, 2015, 08:55:21 AM »
Polo shirts are an abomination unto the lord. They don't look good on anyone. I especially hate it when companies make women wear them. Just so basic and awful.

Both women and men at my work wear polos, and they're smart, successful, kind, and interesting people who appreciate having an easy "uniform" to throw on in the morning so they can save their brainpower for generating more awesomeness.

What's with the critique of what people wear and how they look? If it's functional and clean, why give a shit? Consumer suckas care about crap like that.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9712 on: August 05, 2015, 08:58:28 AM »
Also, since when are we defined by our clothing/style/look? Am I on the correct forum?

:-) I could care less what people wear, but what you chose to wear does reflect something about you, whether you want it to or not, even if what it says is 'i don't give a fuck'.  So you're a generic person, own it ;-P

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #9713 on: August 05, 2015, 08:59:16 AM »
Just throwing this out there - I LOVE it when guys wear a short-sleeved dress shirt unbuttoned with a fitted white t shirt or tank underneath. I have a serious weakness for that look. Obviously without a tie though.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9714 on: August 05, 2015, 09:02:15 AM »

My husband wears a polo shirt and jeans to work everyday. He works in a lab, so he needs something cheap, because invariably acid will burn tiny holes through his shirts (the lab coats they give them SUCK), but he is a high level professional in the lab, so he needs to look put together (lower level people usually just wear t-shirts, often with logos and slogans).  JC Penny has great sales on polo-style shirts.

I'm fine with it being "generic" dress, because he isn't trying to make a statement with it.

I have to admit, I'm more likely to judge someone who uses the word "basic" than someone wearing a polo (even if they have boat shoes. I've never actually SEEN a popped collar in real life.)   Maybe I'm just getting old, but the whole "basic" thing just makes no sense to me at all.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9715 on: August 05, 2015, 09:02:22 AM »

:-) I could care less what people wear, but what you chose to wear does reflect something about you, whether you want it to or not, even if what it says is 'i don't give a fuck'.  So you're a generic person, own it ;-P

In a single day, I can be seen in either dress slacks and a button up OR suit and tie, AND shorts or jeans with a generic T-shirt (probably with a band name on it).  The next day, I can probably be seen in seersucker or khaki shorts and polo, THEN swim trunks, followed by jeans and a hoody.

What does that say about me?

You dress for the occasion. Golf course, that means golf shirt. Work, that means dress clothes, and sometimes Polo's get into that mix. Home, something comfortable and cheap.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9716 on: August 05, 2015, 09:03:38 AM »

Very interesting to see all the polo shirt hate. I wear them every single day. Cheap, casual, comfortable, breathable.

I'm confused about why looking generic is bad. Not everyone is interested in expressing their unique special snowflakeness via clothing, and a polo shirt is handy because it's appropriate in most situations, fairly comfortable, easy to acquire inexpensively and easy to launder at home.

folks can wear what they want. i can like it or not.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9717 on: August 05, 2015, 09:05:11 AM »
Oh, and boat shoes are wonderful! Comfy (well, I put birkenstock inserts in all my shoes anyways), last a long time, look good with shorts, jeans, khaki's, even some wool slacks... Oh, and they're great on my boat too.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9718 on: August 05, 2015, 09:07:59 AM »
Oh, and boat shoes are wonderful! Comfy (well, I put birkenstock inserts in all my shoes anyways), last a long time, look good with shorts, jeans, khaki's, even some wool slacks... Oh, and they're great on my boat too.

And you don't need socks with them, so that's a frugality bonus!

And when they start to stink, just put htem in a zip lock bag and in the freezer overnight.

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #9719 on: August 05, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
Quote from: serpentstooth on Today at 08:58:16 AM

Quote from: Cheddar Stacker on Today at 08:54:24 AM

Quote from: RyanAtTanagra on Today at 08:42:03 AM

Quote from: miss madge on Today at 08:21:17 AM

I'm confused about why looking generic is bad. Not everyone is interested in expressing their unique special snowflakeness via clothing, and a polo shirt is handy because it's appropriate in most situations, fairly comfortable, easy to acquire inexpensively and easy to launder at home.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course you can, but you're perpetuating consumerism. On this forum, that gets you a Facepunch.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9720 on: August 05, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »
Popped collars are a prep school subculture thing; everyone popped them where I went to high school. Apparently, we are now lighting teenagers on fire for making dubious fashion choices, which seems rather cruel.

Must just be regional, or you went to high school a long time ago. I've hung out with plenty of polo-shirt, white shorts, boat shoes kind of guys (who, yes, were all in frats)- never seen the popped collar. But that was in Texas, not New England.

I've never been a fashion-plate. I'm sure people judge me for my laziness, but whatever. As long as I don't look like I smell bad (and don't smell bad) that's good enough for me.  I have nice outfits for client meetings.

Teenagers have always made bad fashion choices, and adults (and other teens) have always judged them for it. I used to joke that the way you could tell I wasn't a student when I worked at a university (I look very young for my age) was my shoes. I usually wore something like Merrells- comfortable, easy to walk in. The girls going to class- man they all wore some crazy 'fashionable' shoes.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9721 on: August 05, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »
Quote from: serpentstooth on Today at 08:58:16 AM

Quote from: Cheddar Stacker on Today at 08:54:24 AM

Quote from: RyanAtTanagra on Today at 08:42:03 AM

Quote from: miss madge on Today at 08:21:17 AM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course you can, but you're perpetuating consumerism. On this forum, that gets you a Facepunch.

how is not liking polo shirts perpetuating consumerism? that doesn't make any sense at all.

it's not like polo shirts are $10 and every other kind of shirt in the world is $1000. there are some very expensive polo shirts out there, and to my eyes they are every bit as ugly as the cheap ones.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9722 on: August 05, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »

Interesting. I see it in another way. What a person thinks about my appearance tells me a lot about that persons' character/values. I'm not saying I don't judge people sometimes based on how they look, but if you don't dig deeper you never really know.

I'm not defined by my clothing, just like I'm not defined by my job, education, car, or anything else. Those things are all a small part of me, but any of them can be changed. I change my clothes often, as mtn points out, to fit the occasion.

I went to a business meeting recently with a CW and a very important person who we knew would likely be dressed very well. It was a Friday, which for me (and usually my CW) means jeans, polo, tennis shoes.  I wore the usual, CW wore a fancy suit.

I'm not interested in impressing anyone with my clothes. If you choose not to work with me based on the jeans/polo, your loss.

@miss madge, I agree, you can like it or not, your choice. I just hope it doesn't preclude you from actually working with/knowing that person. You don't need to be attracted to someone or like what they're wearing to have a positive interaction with them.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9723 on: August 05, 2015, 09:20:34 AM »

Also, I'm Joanna, not Brian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtrLKGZZFg

If that makes me generic, fine, I'll own it. I hate this goddamn job and I don't need it!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9724 on: August 05, 2015, 09:24:50 AM »

My husband wears a polo shirt and jeans to work everyday. He works in a lab, so he needs something cheap, because invariably acid will burn tiny holes through his shirts (the lab coats they give them SUCK), but he is a high level professional in the lab, so he needs to look put together (lower level people usually just wear t-shirts, often with logos and slogans).  JC Penny has great sales on polo-style shirts.

I'm fine with it being "generic" dress, because he isn't trying to make a statement with it.

I have to admit, I'm more likely to judge someone who uses the word "basic" than someone wearing a polo (even if they have boat shoes. I've never actually SEEN a popped collar in real life.)   Maybe I'm just getting old, but the whole "basic" thing just makes no sense to me at all.

Popped collars are a prep school subculture thing; everyone popped them where I went to high school. Apparently, we are now lighting teenagers on fire for making dubious fashion choices, which seems rather cruel.

Popping your collar is a great way to keep the sun off your neck, especially if you forget the sunscreen.  Boat shoes are great when you are on a boat or near other slippery areas (beach, pool).  Shorts are good when it's hot!  I sometimes wear any of the above, I think people have a problem with things like popped collars inside, sunglasses at night, etc

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9725 on: August 05, 2015, 09:28:02 AM »

Popping your collar is a great way to keep the sun off your neck, especially if you forget the sunscreen.  Boat shoes are great when you are on a boat or near other slippery areas (beach, pool).  Shorts are good when it's hot!  I sometimes wear any of the above, I think people have a problem with things like popped collars inside, sunglasses at night, etc

I forgot about that... I used to pop my collar all the time, back when I was a caddy. Although usually just the back portion of it, I kept the front down.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9726 on: August 05, 2015, 09:29:07 AM »
@miss madge, I agree, you can like it or not, your choice. I just hope it doesn't preclude you from actually working with/knowing that person. You don't need to be attracted to someone or like what they're wearing to have a positive interaction with them.

of course i don't discriminate against people who wear polo shirts. i just don't like polo shirts. it might have something to do with the fact that i work in tech and every trade show you go to is full of dudes in company polo shirts and it's ubiquitous and, to my eyes, ugly and, yes, basic.

but if i couldn't behave in a normal way with people who wear them i would pretty much just have to stay at home since like 90% of dudes seem to wear them like 90% of the time.

as a side note i'm also really not a fan of the stretched-earlobe look, especially when the stretched-earlobe person is my server at a place where i'm trying to eat. but i'm not going to be like "ugh, what is wrong with your ears, that is disgusting and you are a terrible person."

i have opinions, as do we all, but i don't normally express every opinion i have in every moment.

and, clearly, not every opinion is a life and death matter. my anti-polo-shirt stance seems kind of funny to me, actually, seeing as how i am surrounded by them. i also sometimes joke around about organizing a protest against the imperial system, because it is really fucking stupid compared to the metric system. it doesn't mean i hate america.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9727 on: August 05, 2015, 09:29:40 AM »

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #9728 on: August 05, 2015, 09:46:24 AM »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9729 on: August 05, 2015, 10:14:44 AM »
How fucked up is that?

I froze my *** off in an office in LA. I was walking to work in shorts and a t-shirt and keeping jeans and a hoodie in the office to change into.
I complained but facilities thought I was just a whining european - then after a year they found the heater had burned out.

The heater was so they could "control the humdity" - because the big problem in LA is humidity in the air!
I think the AC plant cooled the air to maximum possible and then they heated it to match the thermostat because electrcity is basically free, or at least it was in California in the 90s

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9730 on: August 05, 2015, 10:29:06 AM »
I have lots of polos (mostly from LL Bean, good quality, $29, last forever) and wear them on days like today when I'm holed up in my office all day on phone calls, but many other days I'm in and out of meetings with senior people and on those days I dress up more as does anyone with half a brain and some aspirations. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #9731 on: August 05, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
How fucked up is that?

I froze my *** off in an office in LA. I was walking to work in shorts and a t-shirt and keeping jeans and a hoodie in the office to change into.
I complained but facilities thought I was just a whining european - then after a year they found the heater had burned out.

The heater was so they could "control the humdity" - because the big problem in LA is humidity in the air!
I think the AC plant cooled the air to maximum possible and then they heated it to match the thermostat because electrcity is basically free, or at least it was in California in the 90s

I actually just went to get a (hot) coffee and switched over to an open office in another building because it was so damn cold in my seating area. I would have just went home but I don't want to push it. I'll take a bit of fresh air and different atmosphere, but seriously, when people have to bring in hoodie's because they're so cold and it's 90+ outside, there's an issue.  I'm going to wear a bright plaid flannel tomorrow since my light hoodie isn't enough.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9732 on: August 05, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »

How fucked up is that?

Wow, just wow.

By the way I started the "short sleeve shirt VS polo" thing as a lighthearted semi-joke (no, I was not serious when I wrote short sleeve shirt + tie should be a capital crime punishable with death sentence), I see that escalated pretty quickly lol.

Don't take yourselves too serious ladies and gents :)

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9733 on: August 05, 2015, 11:20:25 AM »
... it's ubiquitous and, to my eyes, ugly and, yes, basic.

Criticizing people's clothing is also pretty "basic."  I judge people who purposefully use words incorrectly and, in doing so, come across as hateful. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9734 on: August 05, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »
I actually just went to get a (hot) coffee and switched over to an open office in another building because it was so damn cold in my seating area. I would have just went home but I don't want to push it. I'll take a bit of fresh air and different atmosphere, but seriously, when people have to bring in hoodie's because they're so cold and it's 90+ outside, there's an issue.  I'm going to wear a bright plaid flannel tomorrow since my light hoodie isn't enough.

I worked in an office that had horrible climate control; some areas were freezing, some were boiling.

A guy 2 rows down from me was always burning hot. To the point where he put up a thermometer and recorded the high temperature each day. I on the other hand was freezing daily. I our manager asked if he could just switch our cubes.  Nope, he was social studies, I was math; we had to stay with our teams (we worked on the same project team, just not content areas).  So I started working (in the summer) wearing a scarf, a hat with a big fluffy ball and a pair of gloves. It didn't effect my productivity, I just looked ridiculous (we had no client interaction in this area.) That caught the VPs attention, who asked my manager "why the hell don't you switch her with K, he's always complaining it is way to hot where he sits!"

It was heaven over there in that hot cube. Sadly, the whole department got moved a month or two later.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:29:32 AM by iowajes »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9735 on: August 05, 2015, 11:47:27 AM »
It seems like it must be a gender-based thing but on the other hand women don't complain in the winter, so it must not be about absolute temperature. Dress could be a part of it, but I never wear sweaters at work in winter and I frequently want to in summer (not to mention that covering yourself as completely and thickly as men do tends to be perceived as frumpy on a woman). Sounds like women respond differently based on humidity levels? Or maybe women's metabolisms adjust more readily to the hot weather outside?

At any rate, now that we're talking about heat again, I feel I can post this:
Can you walk around naked, as god intended, without freezing your balls off? Then you're in a place that's too god damn cold, brother.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9736 on: August 05, 2015, 12:00:01 PM »

Again, lighting on fire?

Pretty sure the lighting on fire thing was a joke.

I also grew up in New England, and went to a private preppy school. Lots of people wore the khakis, polo, boat shoes uniform, but in our neck of the woods, popped collar = douche. Of course it never stopped me from getting to know anyone, because I don't care what anyone wears, but in my personal experience it was true in every single case. Not including a popped collar for sun blocking purposes, I don't golf or boat.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9737 on: August 05, 2015, 12:01:17 PM »
It seems like it must be a gender-based thing but on the other hand women don't complain in the winter, so it must not be about absolute temperature.

I'm cold at work in the winter too.  But I understand there are limits to how much you can heat a building. I expect to be cold in the winter. I shouldn't be freezing my butt off when it is 95 outside.

I dress about the same for work regardless of season though; my legs are never bare, I don't wear sleeveless shirts.  Except in the winter I will sometimes add fleece leggings under my pants; I don't do that in the summer because I'd fry on the commute.  But I wear a fleece jacket at work almost every day of the year.

When the office manager is constantly complaining how high our AC bills are, I wonder why the heck they set the temperature so low. I'm not the only person walking around in a fleece, in July (well August now).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9738 on: August 05, 2015, 12:03:49 PM »
That's the other thing, I may "waste" (I don't consider money spent keeping the temp as I like it a waste) energy cooling in the summer, but I keep the house nice and cool in the winter, not having the heat cranked up.  So there's that.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9739 on: August 05, 2015, 12:09:48 PM »
It seems like it must be a gender-based thing but on the other hand women don't complain in the winter, so it must not be about absolute temperature.

I'm cold at work in the winter too.  But I understand there are limits to how much you can heat a building. I expect to be cold in the winter. I shouldn't be freezing my butt off when it is 95 outside.

I dress about the same for work regardless of season though; my legs are never bare, I don't wear sleeveless shirts.  Except in the winter I will sometimes add fleece leggings under my pants; I don't do that in the summer because I'd fry on the commute.  But I wear a fleece jacket at work almost every day of the year.

When the office manager is constantly complaining how high our AC bills are, I wonder why the heck they set the temperature so low. I'm not the only person walking around in a fleece, in July (well August now).

Totally, it could just be the irony of blazing outside freezing inside that causes women to speak up whereas they're just sucking it up in the winter. And seriously, my current workplace will insist on 70 degrees in the summer but has no problem heating to 75 in winter. Wha?

Still, personally I find 70 degrees in a heated building okay but 70 degrees in an air-conditioned super uncomfortable even if I bundle up so I thought others felt the same way.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9740 on: August 05, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »

A psychotic dictator who wrote sadistic crap legitimized by florid prose.

Your line was reminiscent from a different episode of the same TV series, Firefly.

Jubal Early: You ever been shot?
Simon: No.
Jubal Early: You oughta be shot. Or stabbed, lose a leg. To be a surgeon, you know? Know what kind of pain you're dealing with. They make psychiatrists get psychoanalyzed before they can get certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. That seem right to you?
Hehe... yeah, that is not a coincidence. <3 Firefly. I just don't remember Shan Yu.

Sounds like you should rewatch the "War Stories" episode (it's the one with Niska--the guy who hired them for the train job) torturing Mal/Wash.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jordanread

« Reply #9741 on: August 05, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
It seems like it must be a gender-based thing but on the other hand women don't complain in the winter, so it must not be about absolute temperature. Dress could be a part of it, but I never wear sweaters at work in winter and I frequently want to in summer (not to mention that covering yourself as completely and thickly as men do tends to be perceived as frumpy on a woman). Sounds like women respond differently based on humidity levels? Or maybe women's metabolisms adjust more readily to the hot weather outside?

At any rate, now that we're talking about heat again, I feel I can post this:
Can you walk around naked, as god intended, without freezing your balls off? Then you're in a place that's too god damn cold, brother.

I hate this thread so hard, but still. They really should have added a 'no' to that sentence above. Fun article, although I don't agree with it. I'm not coming from an evolutionary standpoint, since most of my stuff is based on what is illegal. I've always said that I like the cold more than the heat. In winter, one can always put on more clothes. In heat, there is only so much you can take off before you're arrested. I do love me some cold. That's why I always join the anti-AC gauntlets. It's an extreme amount of voluntary discomfort for me. Interesting article though. Also, my GF constantly complains about the AC at her job.

A psychotic dictator who wrote sadistic crap legitimized by florid prose.

Your line was reminiscent from a different episode of the same TV series, Firefly.

Jubal Early: You ever been shot?
Simon: No.
Jubal Early: You oughta be shot. Or stabbed, lose a leg. To be a surgeon, you know? Know what kind of pain you're dealing with. They make psychiatrists get psychoanalyzed before they can get certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. That seem right to you?
Hehe... yeah, that is not a coincidence. <3 Firefly. I just don't remember Shan Yu.

Sounds like you should rewatch the "War Stories" episode (it's the one with Niska--the guy who hired them for the train job) torturing Mal/Wash.  :)

I've always assumed that it was an interesting pronunciation of Sun Tzu. Still a great show!!! Also, that was a great episode.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9742 on: August 05, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »
Just last night, I was thinking about marathonning the whole ruttin' series, no joke.

My AirBnB listing is called Serenity, FFS >.<

Firefly keychains and all >.<

jordanread

« Reply #9743 on: August 05, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »
Just last night, I was thinking about marathonning the whole ruttin' series, no joke.

I binge the entire series at least once a year.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #9744 on: August 05, 2015, 12:31:57 PM »

I binge the entire series at least once a year.
As should everyone!

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9745 on: August 05, 2015, 12:34:50 PM »
I'm with your coworkers.  I'm sitting here in my office in a long sleeve dress shirt, undershirt, and wool dress pants.  If it's 80* in here, I'm leaving.  I came in over the weekend to prepare for a presentation this AM, and even in my t-shirt and basketball shorts it was uncomfortable at 85* with the A/C off over the weekend (news to me they did that).  I grew up in a house without central air, nothing about that is "better".
I prefer to dress in seasonally appropriate business clothing with short-sleeve dress shirts and summer-weight trousers, but most of my male coworkers seem not to understand that option is available to them.

If everyone is dressing one way at work except for you, it could be that they are not all wrong.  I work for an old, established, large company.  The culture here is you wear long sleeves and dress pants.  The temperature is set to account for that.  You can fight it, but you won't win.

Or, it could be that they are.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/07/22/europe-to-america-your-love-of-air-conditioning-is-stupid/

Over air conditioning is super wasteful and using the excuse of the long-time good old boys' culture as to why the company can't progress is a lame one.

That article is smug nonsense. Some offices overuse air conditioning, but the USA is much hotter than most of Europe (the idea that Washington and Berlin have similar climates is wrong). And when Europe has heat waves, tens of thousands of people die. The 2003 heat wave killed 70,000 people.

See this excellent rebuttal of the Washington Post article.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9746 on: August 05, 2015, 12:37:56 PM »
Eco-friendly... lmfao.
I guess you haven't been to the South, where most buildings are cooled to the upper 60s 24-7 for six months out of the year, whether occupied or not. The sheer quantity of coal we send up in smoke just to cool empty offices could probably meet the power needs of multiple third-world countries.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9747 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »
Seriously, thousands of office workers are not going to drop dead if the 68s or 72 were now set to 78 instead.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9748 on: August 05, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »
Seriously, thousands of office workers are not going to drop dead if the 68s or 72 were now set to 78 instead.

Obviously not, but vast quantities of us are not going to like it or stand for it so you don't have to put on a sweater. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9749 on: August 05, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »
Re the fact that women don't seem to complain as much in winter...

I suspect that the worst trigger for cold in women is actually the blowing air of an A/C unit, with the actual temperature of the A/C unit a close second. I can be perfectly comfortable in terms of air temp, but will start shivering and get goosebumps with the slightest cool breeze. In winter, I'm usually covered up and blowing breeze can't access as much bare skin.

But still, when I was growing up in Wisconsin, where it's common to have your winter heater set in the mid 60s, I would wear my winter coats, hats, AND gloves all day at school. At home, I often did the same or carried a blanket around the house to wrap around myself. (Yes, I was already wearing long pants and layered tops).

This is not that unusual among women. Other women in my family regularly wear long underwear under their regular clothes indoor in their own houses if they don't keep the thermostat above 70.

I work in the British Virgin Islands every year, and while it is normally extremely hot and humid (esp in the sun), I get incredibly chilled during the occasional low pressure, cloudy, rainy day where the temp drops into the high 70s....because CHILLY BREEZE. In fact,  I'm in the BVI right this second, sitting in my underwear in an un-air-conditioned-room typing this, and although our room is probably in the mid 80s, even the breeze of the cross wind and the fan above the bed is making me want to put clothes back on.