Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253304 times)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #20350 on: July 03, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »
My 50 something coworker was just complaining because the Italian pension age has been raised to 67 and he desperately wants to retire before then.  He makes a much larger salary than me and his wife works tax free at a UN agency.  They just bought a large boat....

I tried to explain "if you just saved your money you could retire earlier" but this literally does not seem to compute with Italians.  They get a government pension at a certain age - and that age keeps getting older and the amount they'll get keeps becoming less but the idea of saving for retirement (even though retirement accounts exist here) is just completely alien to the culture here.

I get the same thinking from my SIL in Germany.  Retiring before the government mandated age unthinkable.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20351 on: July 03, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »
My 50 something coworker was just complaining because the Italian pension age has been raised to 67 and he desperately wants to retire before then.  He makes a much larger salary than me and his wife works tax free at a UN agency.  They just bought a large boat....

I tried to explain "if you just saved your money you could retire earlier" but this literally does not seem to compute with Italians.  They get a government pension at a certain age - and that age keeps getting older and the amount they'll get keeps becoming less but the idea of saving for retirement (even though retirement accounts exist here) is just completely alien to the culture here.

I get the same thinking from my SIL in Germany.  Retiring before the government mandated age unthinkable.

I find the whole thing very weird.  I make a lot less than this guy and also have 2 kids but we manage to save quite a bit.  But I don't go around buying boats, don't own a car and don't eat out much.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20352 on: July 04, 2018, 07:56:00 AM »
Co-worker: I don't know whether our travel insurance is valid for my whole family.
Me: Yes, it is. I recently checked it.
Co-worker: But not if they travel without me.
Me: Yes, it is valid anyway.
Co-worker: Well, I just purchased a separate travel insurance for them.
Me thinking: Why not use 5 minutes to check the information on our intranet before you buy an insurance?

I have at least 1 other colleague who kept his private travel insurance although I told him he is already covered with the whole family. It is only 140 USD a year...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:58:59 AM by Linda_Norway »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20353 on: July 04, 2018, 09:26:21 AM »
Co-worker: I don't know whether our travel insurance is valid for my whole family.
Me thinking: Why not use 5 minutes to check the information on our intranet before you buy an insurance?

I have at least 1 other colleague who kept his private travel insurance although I told him he is already covered with the whole family. It is only 140 USD a year...
Uhm... sicne you are talking about private travel insurance, that means there is a non-private travel insurance? From the state? Why?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #20354 on: July 04, 2018, 09:51:08 AM »

Uhm... sicne you are talking about private travel insurance, that means there is a non-private travel insurance? From the state? Why?

It's a pretty common benefit at a lot of companies. I've had free travel insurance (including my partner) for many years through my current and former employers.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20355 on: July 04, 2018, 01:19:34 PM »

It's a pretty common benefit at a lot of companies. I've had free travel insurance (including my partner) for many years through my current and former employers.

Same for me. Each company needs to buy a travel insurance for their employees that covers job travel. Many buy the whole family package that is valid all year. DH only has the job travel package, but he is insured through my company's family package.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:15:26 AM by Linda_Norway »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20356 on: July 04, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
Same for me. Each company need to buy a travel insurance for their employees that covers job travel.
Ah, okay.
Here in Germany that is done in the "everyone is in" style of things. A company just pays a certain amount for every employee into health insurance system and every accident to, from or on work is covered.
Fucking communists! ;)

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20357 on: July 05, 2018, 06:42:48 AM »
Here's one I keep forgetting to post, from my first job a few months back. It was the end of the year, so we were having a presentation on health insurance for the following year. 401ks also came up because at that job they only enrolled people in it every 6 months, and you had to have been an employee for 6months, so a couple people would be eligible in January.

My supervisor is telling them, you have to put in 4% to get the 4% match so you should always do that, and you should put as much as you can afford in (good), like I used to put in 10% before I bought a house and then I had to change it to 8%.

Our department manager interrupts him, saying, ok Mr Moneybags.

I remember at that time, with almost no financial knowledge (except I think it was around when I found this site) thinking that 1. My manager thinks 8% is what, for rich people? And 2. A 2% difference as a starting peon was about $24 a paycheck for me at the time... so I promised myself that if I ever had to cut back retirement saving 2% to make a difference in my budget, then I'm doing something wrong and need a facepunch.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #20358 on: July 05, 2018, 06:52:53 PM »
Co workers don't get basic investment math (and they work in finance)

I'm not going to get into the background of my work, so you'll just have to go with the flow

Example #1: Client can get $15,000 today....or the client can get $150/mth starting in 3 years, *when he is 65*.  Client took the 15K, everyone I spoke with seemed to think the 150/mth was the better option.  Personally I don't see it this way.

Example #2: Client can get $25,000 today or take $3,000 per year for 10 years, this fellow was 69 years old.  I thought the 25K was an easy choice, but pretty much everyone disagreed with me, saying the 3K per year for 10 years was more money...which it is.  But given that he is already 69??? 

Edit: *to add in actual age, which is certainly beneficial to know when weighing these 2 options*
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:05:37 AM by The Fake Cheap »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20359 on: July 05, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »

Example #1: Client can get $15,000 today....or the client can get $150/mth starting in 3 years.  Client took the 15K, everyone I spoke with seemed to think the 150/mth was the better option.  Personally I don't see it this way.

... in perpetuity?   By my calculations, $150/month is a much better deal assuming typical inflation and longevity

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20360 on: July 05, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »

Example #2: Client can get $25,000 today or take $3,000 per year for 10 years, this fellow was 69 years old.  I thought the 25K was an easy choice, but pretty much everyone disagreed with me, saying the 3K per year for 10 years was more money...which it is.  But given that he is already 69???

This one is closer, but maybe the guy already has enough money and wants to leave to maximum possible to his heirs

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20361 on: July 05, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »

Example #1: Client can get $15,000 today....or the client can get $150/mth starting in 3 years.  Client took the 15K, everyone I spoke with seemed to think the 150/mth was the better option.  Personally I don't see it this way.

... in perpetuity?   By my calculations, $150/month is a much better deal assuming typical inflation and longevity

Where's the crossover point, with a 7% growth rate I get  your ahead over $10k in 12 years if you take the $15k.
Never mind, right around 19 years you get ahead if you take the $150 per month.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20362 on: July 05, 2018, 09:27:17 PM »
If I were retiring due to old age I'd seriously consider taking the regular payment because I wouldn't want to be dealing with investments and income variability at that age. I'd rather have a small annuity than a big lump sum because it'll be simpler in the future when I'm old and crazy.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #20363 on: July 06, 2018, 12:51:29 AM »
If I were retiring due to old age I'd seriously consider taking the regular payment because I wouldn't want to be dealing with investments and income variability at that age. I'd rather have a small annuity than a big lump sum because it'll be simpler in the future when I'm old and crazy.

Very wise.

It's a detail that gets glossed over by younger retiree "hopefuls".

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20364 on: July 06, 2018, 08:42:00 AM »
Ever hear the saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"? I'd rather know I was going to get all the money in a lump sum so I could invest it than trust the entity would still exist in 19 or more years.  Even something "rock-solid" can face a crisis where the payments could stop or the terms changed. Control trumps promises.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:39:47 AM by Dicey »

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20365 on: July 06, 2018, 10:07:54 AM »
Ever hear the saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush? I'd rather know I was going to get all the money in a lump sum so I could invest it than trust the entity would still exist in 19 or more years.  Even something "rock-solid"
can face a crisis where the payments could stop or the terms chanvged. Control trumps promises.
Ultimately nothing is "rock solid", including cash/gold under the mattress. Bank accounts can be hacked, people can be scammed, tangible assets can be stolen. A company (or gov't) going bankrupt or weaseling out of a deal is just another type of risk to weigh against the others.

It's all about level of risk you perceive in your chosen asset management scheme. On the one hand, I wouldn't want to put all of my eggs in one company's basket (annuity or pension), unless it was backed up by  a gov't guarantee of some sort. OTOH, if I already had significant assets under my control, I might very well opt to put some of my income stream in someone else's control in this manner, just as a hedge against the unforeseen.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20366 on: July 06, 2018, 10:46:01 AM »
My supervisor and his wife used to have, I believe, a lovebird (or some other similar small colorful bird). It died last year, my coworkers and I all believe someone probably sat on it. The bird was able to fly around their house freely.

A few months ago, his wife was diagnosed with cancer. One of my coworkers suggested they get a dog to keep his wife company while she was undergoing chemo.

Anyway, so the first chemo treatment happens and my supervisor comes back with stories. One is that their teenage son had friends over and they had to tell him that they weren't allowed to visit anymore because her immune system would be compromised from the chemo. I just want anyone reading this to keep all of this in mind.

The other thing he tells us is that they ordered ducks. Yes, ducks...plural. How many ducks do you ask? Ten ducks! They bought ten ducks because they were cheaper if you bought that many, obviously. They got a kiddie pool to put in their living room while the ducks were small so that they could stay contained. Apparently ducks grow very fast, however, because just 3 weeks later he said they were basically full sized ducks and were pooping all over the yard. He's lamenting the ducks and his wife wants to get rid of them all already because they're disgusting.

Which is baffling to me, because surely who could have foreseen that 10 ducks would be disgusting and not suitable for a single family home with probably a quarter acre lot? I also can't figure out the logic where their son can't have visitors because they might get his wife sick, but 10 ducks are somehow okay.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20367 on: July 06, 2018, 10:50:36 AM »
Ever hear the saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush? I'd rather know I was going to get all the money in a lump sum so I could invest it than trust the entity would still exist in 19 or more years.  Even something "rock-solid"
can face a crisis where the payments could stop or the terms chanvged. Control trumps promises.
Ultimately nothing is "rock solid", including cash/gold under the mattress. Bank accounts can be hacked, people can be scammed, tangible assets can be stolen. A company (or gov't) going bankrupt or weaseling out of a deal is just another type of risk to weigh against the others.

It's all about level of risk you perceive in your chosen asset management scheme. On the one hand, I wouldn't want to put all of my eggs in one company's basket (annuity or pension), unless it was backed up by  a gov't guarantee of some sort. OTOH, if I already had significant assets under my control, I might very well opt to put some of my income stream in someone else's control in this manner, just as a hedge against the unforeseen.

This guy counterparty risks

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20368 on: July 06, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
Out-of-shape co-worker:

"I thought I read a study that any more than 20 minutes of exercise in a day is pretty bad for you.  A little bit is ok, but more than about 20 minutes or so and you're hurting yourself."

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #20369 on: July 06, 2018, 10:04:37 PM »
My supervisor and his wife used to have, I believe, a lovebird (or some other similar small colorful bird). It died last year, my coworkers and I all believe someone probably sat on it. The bird was able to fly around their house freely.

A few months ago, his wife was diagnosed with cancer. One of my coworkers suggested they get a dog to keep his wife company while she was undergoing chemo.

Anyway, so the first chemo treatment happens and my supervisor comes back with stories. One is that their teenage son had friends over and they had to tell him that they weren't allowed to visit anymore because her immune system would be compromised from the chemo. I just want anyone reading this to keep all of this in mind.

The other thing he tells us is that they ordered ducks. Yes, ducks...plural. How many ducks do you ask? Ten ducks! They bought ten ducks because they were cheaper if you bought that many, obviously. They got a kiddie pool to put in their living room while the ducks were small so that they could stay contained. Apparently ducks grow very fast, however, because just 3 weeks later he said they were basically full sized ducks and were pooping all over the yard. He's lamenting the ducks and his wife wants to get rid of them all already because they're disgusting.

Which is baffling to me, because surely who could have foreseen that 10 ducks would be disgusting and not suitable for a single family home with probably a quarter acre lot? I also can't figure out the logic where their son can't have visitors because they might get his wife sick, but 10 ducks are somehow okay.

Clearly their ducks were not in a row.

(Sorry. Had to.)

Of all the birds, waterfowl are the least suitable as pets, especially indoors. Chickens emit semi-solids. Waterfowl emit liquids. The bigger the bird, the more the emission. And, you wouldn't believe the bacteria.

Canary. Stat. You get the small-and-squeaking experience without a lot of overhead.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #20370 on: July 07, 2018, 04:33:00 AM »
If you are still smart enough to do this reasoning when you have to make the decision between annuities or lump payment you are also smart enough to chose a decent holding company with a good track record an decent dividend payment. Just consider the dividends as an annuity. Your heirs will be very grateful for it.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20371 on: July 07, 2018, 06:02:43 AM »
If you are still smart enough to do this reasoning when you have to make the decision between annuities or lump payment you are also smart enough to chose a decent holding company with a good track record an decent dividend payment. Just consider the dividends as an annuity. Your heirs will be very grateful for it.

Will I continue to be smart enough not to write a big cheque to the donkey sanctuary, or sign it all over to my carer, or "invest" it all with a helpful Nigerian prince? I don't think my heirs would thank me for any of that. I'm much more worried about protecting capital from myself in old age than from institutional collapse.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20372 on: July 07, 2018, 10:55:58 AM »

Will I continue to be smart enough not to write a big cheque to the donkey sanctuary, or sign it all over to my carer, or "invest" it all with a helpful Nigerian prince? I don't think my heirs would thank me for any of that. I'm much more worried about protecting capital from myself in old age than from institutional collapse.

Indeed. In one branch of my family, everyone who lives long enough goes mad. Alzheimer's is a thing, and so are schizophrenia and Lewy-Body. Now the eldest generation, which lived through WWII and the preceding economic depression, tend to be tightwads so the fact they tend to go batshit crazy hasn't been a factor in family wealth retention.

I'm not as confident of my parents' generation, which in my particular family was raised in a privileged way. A fair number of them suffered from affluenza as teens and although some of them adopted more frugal habits later I don't think they are as well ingrained. My own generation (X) is more than 50% useless to begin with in my family, so I shudder to think of what aging will do to already flaky mental processes.

(Note that I'm talking only about trends in my personal extended family, not about individuals who buck the trend, and definitely not about greater human society or traits specific to different generations).

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20373 on: July 07, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »

Indeed. In one branch of my family, everyone who lives long enough goes mad. Alzheimer's is a thing, and so are schizophrenia and Lewy-Body. Now the eldest generation, which lived through WWII and the preceding economic depression, tend to be tightwads so the fact they tend to go batshit crazy hasn't been a factor in family wealth retention.

I'm not as confident of my parents' generation, which in my particular family was raised in a privileged way. A fair number of them suffered from affluenza as teens and although some of them adopted more frugal habits later I don't think they are as well ingrained. My own generation (X) is more than 50% useless to begin with in my family, so I shudder to think of what aging will do to already flaky mental processes.

I know a few people of the Depression/WWII generation who were naturally frugal and became extremely tight with money in the last stages of their life. It might be good for wealth retention but I would struggle with that just as much. I'm glad my one surviving grandparent (born in the early 30s)  is still mentally competent, but one of her friends is so extremely frugal she doesn't eat properly, or even heat her house. Her kids have convinced her to heat to at least 12C (54 F .... ) to prevent the pipes from bursting but that's it. When she's home alone she only eats one meal a day, usually the cheapest ready meal in the store, and she only eats half of it to save even more money. When she visits other people she will devour any food that's put in front of her. Now, my grandma is a good cook and few people would be able to resist her pies, but it's clear this poor lady is starving herself - and it's certainly not because of lack of money. I also used to know a lady who would only eat cans of babyfood. According to her they were tasty, value for money and easy to eat. Her children weren't happy, but they still went to the shop and bought it for her (she was bedbound).

I know that my dad will end up in trouble when he gets old  - he's always had a spending problem, and in his early 60s, he already has trouble accepting reality. I know he has a large mortgage, will retire in a few years, his pension will be a quite a bit lower than his current income, and he bought a totally unsuitable home a few years back. He's always going to complain and he's never going to take responsability for anything, so I'm not going to spend much time feeling sorry for him.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #20374 on: July 07, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »
[...

A friend's parents: he was a working man, machinist, did his job.  Liked old things that worked or could be made to work; had a feel for metal.  Things did not break when he touched them.  Somehow he married well, very well.  She was a SAHM, raised 6 kids, saved their money, built up a real estate portfolio of 6 rentals all paid for.  Even with something of a mustachian background I can hardly believe how well she did.  Then she died.

There was not a lot of difference in his behavior after her death.  He still sat in front of the TV watching evangelists who needed his help to bring The Message to their corner of the world.  It seemed a harmless way for a bereft old man to pass what was left of his time.  Until one of the siblings realized he was entirely capable of sending a check for $2,000,000 to one of these TV people.  They were doing God's work.  God's work, you oughtta help.  The siblings, though all Christian, thought more of charity beginning at home than of "give away all that thou hast."  Some of them even thought the televangelists were cynical charlatans strip-mining geezers for fun and profit.  At any rate, there was an emergency meeting of the siblings and they took control of the finances.  I am not sure he even noticed. 

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #20375 on: July 07, 2018, 01:49:18 PM »

I know a few people of the Depression/WWII generation who were naturally frugal and became extremely tight with money in the last stages of their life. It might be good for wealth retention but I would struggle with that just as much. I'm glad my one surviving grandparent (born in the early 30s)  is still mentally competent, but one of her friends is so extremely frugal she doesn't eat properly, or even heat her house. Her kids have convinced her to heat to at least 12C (54 F .... ) to prevent the pipes from bursting but that's it. When she's home alone she only eats one meal a day, usually the cheapest ready meal in the store, and she only eats half of it to save even more money. When she visits other people she will devour any food that's put in front of her. Now, my grandma is a good cook and few people would be able to resist her pies, but it's clear this poor lady is starving herself - and it's certainly not because of lack of money. I also used to know a lady who would only eat cans of babyfood. According to her they were tasty, value for money and easy to eat. Her children weren't happy, but they still went to the shop and bought it for her (she was bedbound).

I know that my dad will end up in trouble when he gets old  - he's always had a spending problem, and in his early 60s, he already has trouble accepting reality. I know he has a large mortgage, will retire in a few years, his pension will be a quite a bit lower than his current income, and he bought a totally unsuitable home a few years back. He's always going to complain and he's never going to take responsability for anything, so I'm not going to spend much time feeling sorry for him.

I have seen the over-drive frugality too. One lady I know would more or less only allow herself to eat a tiny bit of herring, potato, milk, yogurt and hard rye bread. If that was all she was used to eat and if she had been extremely poor it would have been understandable but she had a perhaps not great but reasonable pension and lived in perhaps the cheapest possible apartment with a minimal fee and the apartment was already paid off. She had no one to inherit her and she was over 90 at this point. She had money in the bank too and she could have spent some of that too and still had plenty to pay her funeral and live a decent life. If you lived that long you should allow yourself to have a little extra sometimes.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20376 on: July 07, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
New co-worker changing states, I'm going to the DMV to change my driver's license but I'm going to hold off on registering my vehicle because I hear that there is something about the taxes for new registrations here in the state being high and I have a 2018 SUV and it's too expensive right now.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #20377 on: July 08, 2018, 04:04:22 PM »
"The only real investment to buy right now is gold. When the entire monetary system collapses, gold will still have its intrinsic value, and everyone will fight for it. That's why I buy (sic: paper contracts for gold that don't generate income in any way, and do not lead to the actual owning of any gold either, for those who might believe this malarkey). I'm also an intellectual. In fact, my favorite movies are zombie movies." -yup, a coworker actually said this.

"Anyone want to join the lottery pool? There's 35 of us in it, and the payout is gonna be huge if we win. We're buying like 500 tickets all together." -Another coworker.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20378 on: July 08, 2018, 11:41:16 PM »
I'm also an intellectual. In fact, my favorite movies are zombie movies."

But ... wha.... but... *facepalm*

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20379 on: July 08, 2018, 11:54:08 PM »
I also used to know a lady who would only eat cans of babyfood. According to her they were tasty, value for money and easy to eat. Her children weren't happy, but they still went to the shop and bought it for her (she was bedbound).

PSA: My grandmother went through this phase. It was because her oesophagus had aged and she was choking on regular food. Food like lasagne and shepherd's pie were found to be better options.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20380 on: July 08, 2018, 11:57:26 PM »

I'm an academic. That makes me kind of an intellectual, right? Also like zombie movies. Of course, I don't go around proclaiming that I'm an intellectual. I do go around proclaiming that I like zombie movies.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
« Reply #20381 on: July 09, 2018, 01:47:55 AM »

I'm an academic. That makes me kind of an intellectual, right? Also like zombie movies. Of course, I don't go around proclaiming that I'm an intellectual. I do go around proclaiming that I like zombie movies.

I just love that this individual dropped that after talking about how gold was the only investment to make. Like he clearly felt a zombie apocalypse would be coming, and somehow him and his gold would survive it...but only because of the gold.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20382 on: July 09, 2018, 01:49:01 AM »

I just love that this individual dropped that after talking about how gold was the only investment to make. Like he clearly felt a zombie apocalypse would be coming, and somehow him and his gold would survive it...but only because of the gold.

It's the implied "as proof of that" lingering between the two sentences that I find peculiar.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20383 on: July 09, 2018, 03:01:23 AM »

Ha, I read that as zombie movies being proof of his intellectism. They're definitely proof of mine.... [sad face]

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20384 on: July 09, 2018, 03:36:18 AM »
My 10-years older co-irker picked up a brand new ~$35,000 car today! I told him while thinking about new cars is always fun, I am frugal and plan to drive my 13-year old Toyota another 200,000 miles. He said when I am older(!) and successful(!!!) I will want a new car. I chuckled to myself.

Love the bolded.

RocksRock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20385 on: July 09, 2018, 07:49:42 AM »
Coworker is struggling to find a storage space big and cheap enough for their budget - their garage is going to be renovated so everything inside it has to be put somewhere else. The two cars they have have never seen the inside of that garage. What's inside then? The daughter's clothes, all of them, from age 0 to now 16, books that are not fitting inside the house (and there are full shelves Everywhere), and old sentimental items that are clearly not sentimental enough for them to really take care of them. They are being left to be eaten by mice, but nothing can be thrown away unless rendered completely useless/eaten up.

She says they have found something that will hold everything for $110 per month.. Oh well, not too bad for like a month or two I say.. Oh no, she says, we have to keep it for over a year! And then, of course, it will all go back into the newly renovated garage..

They got a new car last month too.. Fancypants fast a-lot-of-horsepower bought from the dealer that she uses to go to work. How far does she live from work? 1 mile exactly. She doesn't like bicycles.

I just smile and nod.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20386 on: July 09, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »
Coworker is struggling to find a storage space big and cheap enough for their budget - their garage is going to be renovated so everything inside it has to be put somewhere else. The two cars they have have never seen the inside of that garage. What's inside then? The daughter's clothes, all of them, from age 0 to now 16, books that are not fitting inside the house (and there are full shelves Everywhere), and old sentimental items that are clearly not sentimental enough for them to really take care of them. They are being left to be eaten by mice, but nothing can be thrown away unless rendered completely useless/eaten up.

She says they have found something that will hold everything for $110 per month.. Oh well, not too bad for like a month or two I say.. Oh no, she says, we have to keep it for over a year! And then, of course, it will all go back into the newly renovated garage..

They got a new car last month too.. Fancypants fast a-lot-of-horsepower bought from the dealer that she uses to go to work. How far does she live from work? 1 mile exactly. She doesn't like bicycles.

I just smile and nod.
renovate a garage?  What am I missing?  I've never heard of anyone renovating a garage.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
« Reply #20387 on: July 09, 2018, 09:11:43 AM »

I just smile and nod.

1 mile? geez, i'd walk!

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #20388 on: July 09, 2018, 11:49:38 AM »
renovate a garage?  What am I missing?  I've never heard of anyone renovating a garage.
Typically (but not always) done because either the foundation has cracked, or the roof has sprung a leak.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20389 on: July 09, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »
Typically (but not always) done because either the foundation has cracked, or the roof has sprung a leak.

We put down granite floors in our garage to match the kitchen

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20390 on: July 09, 2018, 12:45:39 PM »

That seems very practical.

I've seen it done so people can put in a loft; or put in super fancy flooring and storage systems.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20391 on: July 09, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »
I also used to know a lady who would only eat cans of babyfood. According to her they were tasty, value for money and easy to eat. Her children weren't happy, but they still went to the shop and bought it for her (she was bedbound).

PSA: My grandmother went through this phase. It was because her oesophagus had aged and she was choking on regular food. Food like lasagne and shepherd's pie were found to be better options.

Mmmmmmm...shepherd's pie. I haven't had that in a while.

As for the baby food, isn't it a lot cheaper to get some frozen veggies and a microwave?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20392 on: July 09, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »

As for the baby food, isn't it a lot cheaper to get some frozen veggies and a microwave?

You expect a bed-bound old woman to purée her own baby food? Or her no-doubt-busy-with-lives-of-their-own children? Presumably one attraction of the baby food is you can eat it at room temperature from the jar with a spoon if so desired.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
« Reply #20393 on: July 09, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »

Shepherd's pie is delicious.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20394 on: July 09, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
A friend once lived a mile or two from work and found that over time his car battery would die. His commute wasn’t long enough to charge the battery so it would eventually drain. I think that is a good sign that you are too close to be using a car and should find an alternate mode of transportation.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20395 on: July 10, 2018, 01:42:17 AM »
A friend once lived a mile or two from work and found that over time his car battery would die. His commute wasn’t long enough to charge the battery so it would eventually drain. I think that is a good sign that you are too close to be using a car and should find an alternate mode of transportation.

I used to have a colleague and friend who inherited his father's car. He used it only once a year during the summer holidays. The battery was always flat when he needed it. He also has his own parking spot in the parking cellar of the apartment building. I think he could have saved a lot of money by not owning the car and rent a car every summer, as well as renting out his own parking spot to a neighbour.

Literally once a year? What FOR?

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #20396 on: July 10, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »

One time I only bought herbes de provence and a lemon from Whole Foods and the cashier acted like I broke the sacred covenant of things you are allowed to buy.  "Wow, how could you only buy this????"  I still do not understand why he was so pissed...

Weird. You still probably spent around $10, right?

I handed over my wallet and said, "please leave some for the children :'("

Anyone know where I can get good/cheap herbes de provence?  The one at Whole Foods is only OK, too much rosemary.  They stopped carrying it at Trader Joes.  I have considered making it, but I don't want to keep all of the herbs that I would not use that often.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20397 on: July 10, 2018, 08:19:20 AM »

One time I only bought herbes de provence and a lemon from Whole Foods and the cashier acted like I broke the sacred covenant of things you are allowed to buy.  "Wow, how could you only buy this????"  I still do not understand why he was so pissed...

Anyone know where I can get good/cheap herbes de provence?  The one at Whole Foods is only OK, too much rosemary.  They stopped carrying it at Trader Joes.  I have considered making it, but I don't want to keep all of the herbs that I would not use that often.
I got a huge bag for about $2 when I was in the south of France. :-)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20398 on: July 10, 2018, 08:25:38 AM »

I got a huge bag for about $2 when I was in the south of France. :-)

I planted rosemary, sage, and a variety of other herbs including lavender from $3 starts years ago. They've more than paid for themselves. So my herbes de Provence are free, fresh, and sometimes a source of side income.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20399 on: July 10, 2018, 08:44:00 AM »

You can buy bulk spices at the WF near me, otherwise you could find a local co-op with a bulk spices section. Bring your own measuring spoons and the online recipe, buy exactly the amount of each herb you need, and mix it at home. (For added Mustachianism, bring your own jars from home rather than use the provided plastic baggies.)