Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252587 times)

Shamantha

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13350 on: May 30, 2016, 08:44:15 AM »
My co-worker is adamant that junk food is cheaper than home cooked food. When I tell her that I can cook a full meal for x amount, she scorns it and says that that does not count, as it is vegetarian. And then continues to state that a poor mother on welfare with two children is forced to buy fries at the local snackbar, as she does not have money for proper food. These fries cost the same as my full meal for 4 persons. And the fries are also vegetarian...

canuck_24

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13351 on: May 31, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »
I only discovered the mustachian community last spring, and I'm pretty excited about it, so I often talk freely with co-workers about money, early retirement etc.  Last week I had a conversation with my very logical, very intelligent officemate who absolutely refuses to believe it is possible to retire without "at least 2 or 3 million dollars saved up"!  ARGH!  So, we started doing the math on the whiteboard, of course discussing the 4% rule and whatnot.  I didn't go into lifestyle choices and reducing annual spending (I am certainly not going to convince him he doesn't NEED his brand new quarter ton at this juncture), we just went with a generalized value for annual spending.  Once I showed him all the math, he rebutted with, "Well, it doesn't matter how much I am going to spend in retirement, I want to pay myself an annual salary of $60-70k per year when I'm retired"  WHAT?!  This "salary" is well above and beyond his set annual spending, and he acknowledged that, but insists that he wants/needs to pay himself a "comfortable" salary in retirement. 

It's days like these I wish I could find someone locally (other than my spouse) to discuss money with!  Vive la mining-towns! Ha ha!  Thank goodness for the mustachian community.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13352 on: May 31, 2016, 08:37:43 AM »
Canuck,

That's when I just shake my head and file it away for when that person might mention how "lucky" we are to FIRE so early.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13353 on: May 31, 2016, 08:41:42 AM »
"Well, it doesn't matter how much I am going to spend in retirement, I want to pay myself an annual salary of $60-70k per year when I'm retired"  WHAT?!  This "salary" is well above and beyond his set annual spending, and he acknowledged that, but insists that he wants/needs to pay himself a "comfortable" salary in retirement. 
You're not gonna swing somebody over in a matter of minutes, they've had a lifetime of people telling them that they need to have millions of dollars or 25X their salary saved to retire. On the contrary, I'd say you've planted a seed in this persons head that is going to grow. I tell you this specifically because these concepts didn't take hold with me over night either. It took considerable reading and number crunching to come to the conclusion that it was not only possible, but probable that I could retire early (maybe not so early as some here but still early). And with much less saved than the experts told me I "needed".

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13354 on: May 31, 2016, 09:07:07 AM »
On a recent trip to corporate, we were all at lunch (mixed aged crowd) and the younger employees got to talking about student loans hanging over their heads "FOREVER". 

Older coworker: "You should really buckle down and knock that out.  Life is so much better when you are debt-free."
Younger coworker:  "There is no way I will every be able to pay for it!  I can barely make it to next month!"
Older coworker:  "Aren't you going on a 10 day trip to the islands?  How many months of student loan payments is that costing you?"
Younger coworker:  "..."
This is gold right there.
It's a connection that some people don't make.
Like several years ago (7 now?) our car was totaled (T-boned).  We paid cash for our next (new, yes facepunch me) Civic.  About a month later, some coworkers were poking fun at me for bringing my lunch every day.  I told them that aside from the health aspect, I once calculated that by packing my lunch and my husband's lunch and my kid's lunch, I saved about $3500 a year vs. eating out.  That's a new Civic in 5 years.

(Most of my coworkers bring lunch often, just not every day.)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13355 on: May 31, 2016, 09:11:47 AM »
Not at work but on way to work I got a free bag of apples and bananas from some people advertising a thing called Food Bag where they cook these meals for you and deliver them to your door, I checked their prices, for a family of 4 (2 Adults, Two Children) they said the cost would be almost $150 a week!

Thats... $600 a month, $7200 a year. The mind boggles...

Is that... every single meal? Like, for a family of 4, breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day? Plus snacks? Even then, that'd be 1/3 more than my usual grocery bill. Wow.
I googled, just had to.  Looks like it's 5 dinners only.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13356 on: May 31, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »
On a recent trip to corporate, we were all at lunch (mixed aged crowd) and the younger employees got to talking about student loans hanging over their heads "FOREVER". 

Older coworker: "You should really buckle down and knock that out.  Life is so much better when you are debt-free."
Younger coworker:  "There is no way I will every be able to pay for it!  I can barely make it to next month!"
Older coworker:  "Aren't you going on a 10 day trip to the islands?  How many months of student loan payments is that costing you?"
Younger coworker:  "..."
This is gold right there.
It's a connection that some people don't make.
Like several years ago (7 now?) our car was totaled (T-boned).  We paid cash for our next (new, yes facepunch me) Civic.  About a month later, some coworkers were poking fun at me for bringing my lunch every day.  I told them that aside from the health aspect, I once calculated that by packing my lunch and my husband's lunch and my kid's lunch, I saved about $3500 a year vs. eating out.  That's a new Civic in 5 years.

(Most of my coworkers bring lunch often, just not every day.)

I love moments like that.  You can have anything, but you can't have everything.   Money spent on one thing takes away from another.  It's strange how few people realize that.  I slip in to it myself sometimes.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13357 on: May 31, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »
Not at work but on way to work I got a free bag of apples and bananas from some people advertising a thing called Food Bag where they cook these meals for you and deliver them to your door, I checked their prices, for a family of 4 (2 Adults, Two Children) they said the cost would be almost $150 a week!

Thats... $600 a month, $7200 a year. The mind boggles...

Is that... every single meal? Like, for a family of 4, breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day? Plus snacks? Even then, that'd be 1/3 more than my usual grocery bill. Wow.
I googled, just had to.  Looks like it's 5 dinners only.
"From only $6.50 per plate" (for 2 adults and 3 younger children, presumably New Zealand dollars) Wow, what a deal... The website lists this option at $162.50 per week, which assuming New Zealand dollars, works out to $109.89 USD.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13358 on: May 31, 2016, 10:53:17 AM »
It's been slow in my office since everyone pretty much up and quit in the past months but I did get a gem today

Context: discussing what we did over the weekend coworker was at a party for his girlfriend and her friends, they are all in their 40's etc and professionals.

CW1: So what did you do this weekend?
Me: Oh DH and I went camping at the beach.
CW1:  Man that sounds fun, I got stuck going to a party for (GF), there were like 50 people there, I didn't know many of them and it was all this pretentious chit chat, it drove me NUTS.  Here they are talking about buying a house in (expensive area here) or buying a boat, or an estate etc.  Here I am, divorced, all my money goes to my mortgage, and yea, I know I can rent it out, but then I would have to move and find a new place and that's just a hassle so why do it.  I mean one guy was retired....he was 49...FOURTY-NINE and retired.  I mean who the hell can retire at 49?  Guys nice, but come on, I don't want that hanging around.  Way to make me feel like a failure.
Me: Um, yea I can see how that might upset you

Didn't have the heart to tell him DH and I are early/mid 30's and pretty much FI.  I also didn't have the heart to point out his stupid expensive BMW, his daily lunch out and after work beers, nor his penchant towards expensive concerts several times a month. 

*PS since I know someone will say the divorce wiped him out.  He's told me in the past he was only married 2 years, and that she didn't get anything because all he had at the time was the house, which she didn't want.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13359 on: May 31, 2016, 10:56:19 AM »
It's been slow in my office since everyone pretty much up and quit in the past months but I did get a gem today

Context: discussing what we did over the weekend coworker was at a party for his girlfriend and her friends, they are all in their 40's etc and professionals.

CW1: So what did you do this weekend?
Me: Oh DH and I went camping at the beach.
CW1:  Man that sounds fun, I got stuck going to a party for (GF), there were like 50 people there, I didn't know many of them and it was all this pretentious chit chat, it drove me NUTS.  Here they are talking about buying a house in (expensive area here) or buying a boat, or an estate etc.  Here I am, divorced, all my money goes to my mortgage, and yea, I know I can rent it out, but then I would have to move and find a new place and that's just a hassle so why do it.  I mean one guy was retired....he was 49...FOURTY-NINE and retired.  I mean who the hell can retire at 49?  Guys nice, but come on, I don't want that hanging around.  Way to make me feel like a failure.
Me: Um, yea I can see how that might upset you

Didn't have the heart to tell him DH and I are early/mid 30's and pretty much FI.  I also didn't have the heart to point out his stupid expensive BMW, his daily lunch out and after work beers, nor his penchant towards expensive concerts several times a month. 

*PS since I know someone will say the divorce wiped him out.  He's told me in the past he was only married 2 years, and that she didn't get anything because all he had at the time was the house, which she didn't want.

I think it was on Kitsune's thread recently where someone said that it's important to remember that other people are not doing their actions at you.  Like, I was a vegetarian for 15 years, and people acted like it was a personal affront.  I'm not being vegetarian AT YOU, or saving money AT YOU, or retiring AT YOU. 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13360 on: May 31, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »
Over the last few months, I've realized that in my workplace, in addition to Sex(uality), Politics, and Religion, do not talk about FIRE. (But people still talk about the first three, contrary to employer policy). FIRE is impossible since it isn't advertised on TV or on the internet, so it isn't true.
You've married well if you have a spouse/partner who in on board with FIRE. Otherwise you're fucked, or will be soon.
Spendypants can't get rid of the idea that you don't need fancy cars, clothes, etc. when you quit the rat race. Paying yourself a salary? You retired, not an entrepreneur or business owner when you quit being a wage slave.

I am constantly told I'm lucky that I bought RE over the last few years and am constantly called a slumlord by co-workers. What they don't see is that I asked a friend (who is an investor and entrepreneur) what I should do with 100k just sitting in the bank. He told me about foreclosures. I researched the process, made bids, bought for cash, wife and I worked nights and weekends fixing up, screened applicants, rented out. Is that luck or effort? And I'm not a slumlord, I rent to urban working professionals and working students. They don't realize that while they buy new or gently used luxury import cars every 5 years, my wife and I drive 10 year old Hondas, which still run like new with just the required maintenance. They don't see that we live on one salary while the other one is saved as powder keg for RE purchases. They comment my clothes are nicely pressed and assume that I use a Laundromat or my wife does it. No, fuckers, I'm a man, and no one touches my dirty laundry. I don't want my wife to fuck up my clothes, or else I have to go to my second most hated place in the world: the mall/clothes store. (The first is theme parks.)

Unlike my co-workers who bitch about their weekends on Mondays and have dreadful work-related thoughts on Sunday, I look forward to Mondays. I get to sit, do productive work, solve problems, get paid for it. Why have anxiety for this? Wife ain't around to bother me, kids are in daycare/school, boss is paying me... life is good!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13361 on: May 31, 2016, 12:19:50 PM »
No, fuckers, I'm a man, and no one touches my dirty laundry. I don't want my wife to fuck up my clothes, or else I have to go to my second most hated place in the world: the mall/clothes store.

Preach on!  I learned how important it is to do your own laundry many years ago.  My stuff gets soaked for a couple hours before being run on gentle and then hung dry.  Much of my business wardrobe is in the seven to ten year range at the moment.  I too hate purchasing clothing at the mall.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13362 on: May 31, 2016, 12:33:01 PM »
Over the last few months, I've realized that in my workplace, in addition to Sex(uality), Politics, and Religion, do not talk about FIRE. (But people still talk about the first three, contrary to employer policy). FIRE is impossible since it isn't advertised on TV or on the internet, so it isn't true.
You've married well if you have a spouse/partner who in on board with FIRE. Otherwise you're fucked, or will be soon.
Spendypants can't get rid of the idea that you don't need fancy cars, clothes, etc. when you quit the rat race. Paying yourself a salary? You retired, not an entrepreneur or business owner when you quit being a wage slave.

I am constantly told I'm lucky that I bought RE over the last few years and am constantly called a slumlord by co-workers. What they don't see is that I asked a friend (who is an investor and entrepreneur) what I should do with 100k just sitting in the bank. He told me about foreclosures. I researched the process, made bids, bought for cash, wife and I worked nights and weekends fixing up, screened applicants, rented out. Is that luck or effort? And I'm not a slumlord, I rent to urban working professionals and working students. They don't realize that while they buy new or gently used luxury import cars every 5 years, my wife and I drive 10 year old Hondas, which still run like new with just the required maintenance. They don't see that we live on one salary while the other one is saved as powder keg for RE purchases. They comment my clothes are nicely pressed and assume that I use a Laundromat or my wife does it. No, fuckers, I'm a man, and no one touches my dirty laundry. I don't want my wife to fuck up my clothes, or else I have to go to my second most hated place in the world: the mall/clothes store. (The first is theme parks.)

Unlike my co-workers who bitch about their weekends on Mondays and have dreadful work-related thoughts on Sunday, I look forward to Mondays. I get to sit, do productive work, solve problems, get paid for it. Why have anxiety for this? Wife ain't around to bother me, kids are in daycare/school, boss is paying me... life is good!

Good for you, but Hondas are imports too

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13363 on: May 31, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »

What about the Hondas built in Ohio?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13364 on: May 31, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »

My bad. Our 2006 Hondas are built in Indiana and Ohio, 75% domestic content per the sticker. Which leads to another constant at-work debate of is it imported or domestic. 1st world issue, IMHO.

BeFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13365 on: May 31, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »
Just found out my coworker and her husband have four vehicles. Her husband is retired and has two, and she has two. Granted, all are paid off, but WTH?! Lol. She was venting about how long her one vehicle has been in service and what a headache it's been. How about just get rid of it? lol. She said they used to have five vehicles. SMH. I have considered financial advisor as a potential part-time contracting gig for me after I quit, but I don't know what to say to some people, so maybe it's NOT my choice of work =P

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13366 on: May 31, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »

My bad. Our 2006 Hondas are built in Indiana and Ohio, 75% domestic content per the sticker. Which leads to another constant at-work debate of is it imported or domestic. 1st world issue, IMHO.

Otter: [to Boon] Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13367 on: May 31, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »
Just found out my coworker and her husband have four vehicles. Her husband is retired and has two, and she has two. Granted, all are paid off, but WTH?! Lol. She was venting about how long her one vehicle has been in service and what a headache it's been. How about just get rid of it? lol. She said they used to have five vehicles. SMH. I have considered financial advisor as a potential part-time contracting gig for me after I quit, but I don't know what to say to some people, so maybe it's NOT my choice of work =P

Only 2 vehicles per person?  They need to get cracking, cuz really you need 3 or possibly more per person.  True story:

Dad married again later in life.  By this time he had accumulated a daily driver, a pickup truck and a classic muscle car.  Of course you can't let any of these go, right?  Daily driver-Toyota, obviously this is for grocery-getting or road trips because great gas mileage.  But, you can't use the daily driver to pick up a water heater or some such, "too expensive" to rent a truck for this, nor can such an item be delivered!  Muscle car was sentimental, really.  He'd had it for 20+years, originally his daily driver, he'd rebuilt it himself in the 90's and it was a convertible.  So, not for grocery-getting, long trips or hauling.  This one is for FUN! Of course, it's driven so little, the battery goes flat between drives.

His new wife also had a daily driver, a very late-model American 6-cylinder, so not as practical as Dad's daily driver, but her commute was short & she could afford it, OK.  New Wife is less practical overall.  Second car is a sentimental "keep".  An early-80's Honda.  This was the first car she bought NEW all by herself as an adult, so of course she can't be expected to ever sell it!  It mostly sat by the curb unused.  Last car for her is also sentimental & FUN, another classic muscle car convertible.  Also of the flat-battery fleet.

If they had room, they probably would have had even more vehicles.  Later, Dad traded his Honda for a wagon because he was hauling a wheelchair for his Dad, but did lament that the Honda got better mileage & I know he wanted to keep it.

Have you introduced your Dad to relayrides.com?

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #13368 on: May 31, 2016, 08:25:18 PM »
Try working in car insurance. Some people and their vehicles- it's just nuts. Brand new and barely driven, too many in a household, insanely expensive. Some people have a brand new truck and buy a second truck just so they put less miles on the first one (?).

It's probably extra bad because I live in a big truck area, where these beasts are normal, many people fly to their jobs, make big money and want to spend it all, and love toys.
The amount of motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and trailers is also crazy.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13369 on: June 01, 2016, 02:42:34 AM »
They comment my clothes are nicely pressed and assume that I use a Laundromat or my wife does it. No, fuckers, I'm a man, and no one touches my dirty laundry. I don't want my wife to fuck up my clothes, or else I have to go to my second most hated place in the world: the mall/clothes store. (The first is theme parks.)

Just wanted to recognise the eipc badassity in this paragraph

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13370 on: June 01, 2016, 06:48:46 AM »
Dad married again later in life.  By this time he had accumulated a daily driver, a pickup truck and a classic muscle car.  Of course you can't let any of these go, right?  Daily driver-Toyota, obviously this is for grocery-getting or road trips because great gas mileage.  But, you can't use the daily driver to pick up a water heater or some such, "too expensive" to rent a truck for this, nor can such an item be delivered!  Muscle car was sentimental, really.  He'd had it for 20+years, originally his daily driver, he'd rebuilt it himself in the 90's and it was a convertible.  So, not for grocery-getting, long trips or hauling.  This one is for FUN! Of course, it's driven so little, the battery goes flat between drives.

As a car nut, this sounds perfectly reasonable to me :)

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13371 on: June 01, 2016, 07:59:15 AM »

Sounds reasonable.  I have a 2014 Altima that gets mostly used for work and a 2008 Ram for hauling and camping.  For fun I have a 2015 Kawasaki.  However, all total I have about $9k spent for them. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13372 on: June 01, 2016, 08:04:36 AM »

Only 2 vehicles per person?  They need to get cracking, cuz really you need 3 or possibly more per person.  True story:

His new wife also had a daily driver, a very late-model American 6-cylinder, so not as practical as Dad's daily driver, but her commute was short & she could afford it, OK.  New Wife is less practical overall.  Second car is a sentimental "keep".  An early-80's Honda.  This was the first car she bought NEW all by herself as an adult, so of course she can't be expected to ever sell it!  It mostly sat by the curb unused.  Last car for her is also sentimental & FUN, another classic muscle car convertible.  Also of the flat-battery fleet.

If they had room, they probably would have had even more vehicles.  Later, Dad traded his Honda for a wagon because he was hauling a wheelchair for his Dad, but did lament that the Honda got better mileage & I know he wanted to keep it.

All sounds normal to me. As grandpa always said, if you can afford it and its not immoral or illegal, why not?

Wifey and I will probably have 3 cars shortly--her Daily, my "Daily", and my fun car. My daily will likely be a pickup since I will either have no work commute or one of less than 2 miles (unbikeable if that is the case).

Racer X

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13373 on: June 01, 2016, 08:43:30 AM »
Fellow gearhead here.  I read that and thought:  "Well, clearly he doesn't have enough trickle chargers!"

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13374 on: June 01, 2016, 12:59:15 PM »

Sounds reasonable.  I have a 2014 Altima that gets mostly used for work and a 2008 Ram for hauling and camping.  For fun I have a 2015 Kawasaki.  However, all total I have about $9k spent for them.

Wow, I thought a 2014 Altima alone would be more than $9k. I know they are crappy cars, but good to know they are super cheap.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13375 on: June 01, 2016, 01:24:48 PM »

Wow, I thought a 2014 Altima alone would be more than $9k. I know they are crappy cars, but good to know they are super cheap.

Average price of a 2014 Altima on AutoTrader (~4600 listings) is $15.8k right now. There are five listings for under $9k of which four are rebuilt/salvage or otherwise damaged. I'm skeptical of the fifth (dealership has lots of bad reviews about listing cars they don't actually have and such).

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13376 on: June 01, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »

About 10 years a go, many Nascar fans were upset that those 'foreign Toyotas Camry's' were being allow to race in the Sprint Cup series. At that time the big three were, the Ford Taurus, the Chevy Nova and the Dodge Intrepid. Built in Canada, Mexico and Canada respectively, oh, the Toyota Camry? Built in Tennessee!
 People :-)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:50:05 PM by Qmavam »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13377 on: June 01, 2016, 01:53:41 PM »

All sounds normal to me. As grandpa always said, if you can afford it and its not immoral or illegal, why not?

Wifey and I will probably have 3 cars shortly--her Daily, my "Daily", and my fun car. My daily will likely be a pickup since I will either have no work commute or one of less than 2 miles (unbikeable if that is the case).

I was raised by him, so I mean, I get it.  But it's still objectively ridiculous to have 6 cars & 2 drivers,  when 2 of the cars were driven 95% of the time and the other 4 cars were each driven about 1% of the time (or less!). 

And your bold point above?  Well, they once came to me asking how to pay off credit cards.  As far as I could tell, they never managed that feat.  They invested in real estate that left Step-mom in a real bind when Dad died & his pension stopped.  They were pretty un-Mustachian by all evidence I could gather.  So I'm pretty sure they really couldn't afford it.

If you're sitting on a lot of CC debt, agreed, but on the other hand, if you aren't paying to store them and you have the title, a sitting car consumes very little resources.  My fun car costs less than $1k/yr all in, which I consider cheap fun.  And mine is on the higher end, since I keep quite a bit of insurance on it and it isn't eligible for classic insurance (insurance is +/- $50/mo, the rest of the cost is just amortized service and consumables like oil changes and tires and brakes).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13378 on: June 01, 2016, 05:42:57 PM »

Just park it in your own driveway.  My pet peeve around here is this dude who has like three giant trucks, parks them on our cul-de-sac (doesn't live on our street though) and leaves them there for months until he decides to take out his boat or whatever.  They are hard to see around and make the road too narrow for two cars to pass easily.  If he had one to haul his boat, I'd understand, but why so many?  And then there are other guys (maybe the same guy?) who park their GD construction trucks up and down the cross street (like 2-3 branded construction company trucks--do they not have a parking lot at their office?).  Occasionally I see a Lambo parked in front of the giant trucks, which I can only assume is rented since we do not live in THAT kind of neighborhood.   It looks like a small dick convention.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #13379 on: June 01, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »
*snip*

Just park it in your own driveway.  My pet peeve around here is this dude who has like three giant trucks, parks them on our cul-de-sac (doesn't live on our street though) and leaves them there for months until he decides to take out his boat or whatever.  They are hard to see around and make the road too narrow for two cars to pass easily.  If he had one to haul his boat, I'd understand, but why so many?  And then there are other guys (maybe the same guy?) who park their GD construction trucks up and down the cross street (like 2-3 branded construction company trucks--do they not have a parking lot at their office?).  Occasionally I see a Lambo parked in front of the giant trucks, which I can only assume is rented since we do not live in THAT kind of neighborhood.   It looks like a small dick convention.

Does your area have an ordinance against leaving a parked car on the street for more than a couple days?  You might go looking to see if you can get those vehicles reported and towed.  In my locality, officially a vehicle can't be parked in one place for more than 24 hours, to prevent abandoned vehicles.  Your current situation sounds like a traffic hazard, besides being a pain in the rear.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13380 on: June 01, 2016, 07:00:56 PM »

You are nicer guy than I am. I would have left some spray paint cans nearby when I figured some kids were going to be around, but I can be a bastard.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13381 on: June 01, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »

You are nicer guy than I am. I would have left some spray paint cans nearby when I figured some kids were going to be around, but I can be a bastard.

Messing with someone's car is about the most chickenshit thing out there. Man up and talk to someone if you have a problem with their behavior, don't vandalize or encourage vandalism of their property. What a chickenshit move. Wow.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13382 on: June 01, 2016, 07:42:57 PM »

Messing with someone's car is about the most chickenshit thing out there. Man up and talk to someone if you have a problem with their behavior, don't vandalize or encourage vandalism of their property. What a chickenshit move. Wow.

I hope you realize that I was kidding even though I didn't leave a "/S"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13383 on: June 01, 2016, 08:43:48 PM »
Does your area have an ordinance against leaving a parked car on the street for more than a couple days?  You might go looking to see if you can get those vehicles reported and towed.  In my locality, officially a vehicle can't be parked in one place for more than 24 hours, to prevent abandoned vehicles.  Your current situation sounds like a traffic hazard, besides being a pain in the rear.

Yes -- I called once but honestly I don't want to be constantly reporting this.  It's a peeve, not a "real crime".  Plus, I'm sure he'll just start moving it every three days which doesn't really help me.

By the way, I don't actually know who owns these trucks.  I only think it's the same person because they all have the same logos on them from some customization company.  I know there is a boat because the trailer hitch says "missin' my boat."  I know it's nobody on my cul de sac because I know all of them. 

If I did see the owner, I doubt talking would do any good.  Obviously there is no room in the garage/driveway for these trucks.  I suspect that it's the house with the giant RV in the driveway and beater track car on blocks, so I'd really rather the trucks be on the street than the other way around.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:46:20 PM by dragoncar »

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13384 on: June 02, 2016, 07:38:33 AM »

It's not kidding if you leave some paint cans for kids, who mess up a car, and kids end up in juvie court, etc. You're ruining young lives. That is an epic bastard move.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:41:35 AM by jinga nation »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13385 on: June 02, 2016, 08:08:11 AM »

It's not kidding if you leave some paint cans for kids, who mess up a car, and kids end up in juvie court, etc. You're ruining young lives. That is an epic bastard move.

Yeah, that's not really a cool joke. Mostly because I've seen it said on this forum now a few times in various ways about how people would retaliate by causing damage to other people's vehicles. Hard to detect the sarcasm.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13386 on: June 02, 2016, 09:23:23 AM »

Yeah, that's not really a cool joke. Mostly because I've seen it said on this forum now a few times in various ways about how people would retaliate by causing damage to other people's vehicles. Hard to detect the sarcasm.

Fair enough, allow me to clarify, I would never do that. If someone were to leave a bunch of trucks near my house and the act of him/her doing so were to cause problems, I would talk to that person. If the situation were unresolved, I would look at city ordinances to see there is another remedy available. If that fails, oh well, that's the price of living in civilization.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13387 on: June 02, 2016, 10:02:04 AM »

Fair enough, allow me to clarify, I would never do that. If someone were to leave a bunch of trucks near my house and the act of him/her doing so were to cause problems, I would talk to that person. If the situation were unresolved, I would look at city ordinances to see there is another remedy available. If that fails, oh well, that's the price of living in civilization.

Doesn't sound like the same situation, but around here I blame it on poor city planning/building approval.  Development companies here are building subdivision after subdivision of high-density/cheap condos. They are all 2 or 3 bedroom, with 1 parking space per unit. It's also a college town, so a large portion of them are occupied by college students.  And then the city get's upset when vehicles are lining the streets and overflowing into other neighborhoods. How do you expect 3 non-related people to make do with 1 parking space? Even in mustache land 1 car per 3 people is a tall order.

Anyway, kind of off topic rant, but it reminded me of what I have to deal with driving through these neighborhoods to drop the kid off at daycare.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13388 on: June 02, 2016, 10:42:12 AM »

Yes -- I called once but honestly I don't want to be constantly reporting this.  It's a peeve, not a "real crime".  Plus, I'm sure he'll just start moving it every three days which doesn't really help me.

By the way, I don't actually know who owns these trucks.  I only think it's the same person because they all have the same logos on them from some customization company.  I know there is a boat because the trailer hitch says "missin' my boat."  I know it's nobody on my cul de sac because I know all of them. 

If I did see the owner, I doubt talking would do any good.  Obviously there is no room in the garage/driveway for these trucks.  I suspect that it's the house with the giant RV in the driveway and beater track car on blocks, so I'd really rather the trucks be on the street than the other way around.
I have no problem calling.  I called once (someone parked their truck in front of my house with a for sale sign on it.  It's definitely a great location for that.  But they left it there a week.  Our ordinance is 72 hours.  They got a warning ticket and it was moved before the 24 hour "grace period" (after which they would have been towed).  One of my friends saw the ticket and said "wow, someone called them in, that's mean!"

I said "that was me!  It's been there for a week, and it's a huge truck.  I cannot safely see to pull out of my driveway.  We had one car totaled due to a similar situation."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13389 on: June 02, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »

Doesn't sound like the same situation, but around here I blame it on poor city planning/building approval.  Development companies here are building subdivision after subdivision of high-density/cheap condos. They are all 2 or 3 bedroom, with 1 parking space per unit. It's also a college town, so a large portion of them are occupied by college students.  And then the city get's upset when vehicles are lining the streets and overflowing into other neighborhoods. How do you expect 3 non-related people to make do with 1 parking space? Even in mustache land 1 car per 3 people is a tall order.

Anyway, kind of off topic rant, but it reminded me of what I have to deal with driving through these neighborhoods to drop the kid off at daycare.

I don't really agree with this -- primarily because everything in my area is 2 or 3-car garage and most people have it full of junk (zero cars) from what I can tell when I notice one open.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13390 on: June 02, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »

I don't really agree with this -- primarily because everything in my area is 2 or 3-car garage and most people have it full of junk (zero cars) from what I can tell when I notice one open.

Yeah my townhouse has an interesting setup in that the units share on giant driveway (only 6 units in the association). Each unit has two garages and we are allowed to park one additional car outside of it (two if you're one of the two end units). One of the units is being rented by 4 young ladies and the unit's owner has his car and a bunch of stuff in one of the two garages, meaning that they needed a place to park two cars. They can park on the street except when it snows, and during the winter I was living alone so I just lent them my second garage and told them that they can also park a car outside that garage if they wanted. This way they can park closer to their house and the neighbors are spared having the cars on the street.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13391 on: June 02, 2016, 11:53:44 AM »

You are good in my book, sir.  :-D

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13392 on: June 02, 2016, 03:26:51 PM »
Coworker who is constantly spending lavishly on himself while making fun of me (not in a cruel way) for being frugal; in his mid-30's with very little saved despite making near $100k for years:

"I promise you in 10 years you'll have outgrown your frugality."

I don't even know what to say.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13393 on: June 02, 2016, 03:33:10 PM »
Coworker who is constantly spending lavishly on himself while making fun of me (not in a cruel way) for being frugal; in his mid-30's with very little saved despite making near $100k for years:

My wife tells me that I have a particular way of saying "OK" that somehow conveys my disdain and disgust with the question/statement being uttered and with the person who spoke it for wasting my time (personally I think she reads too much into it, I think I'm just doing a blank stare non-committal generic "OK").  You should develop something similar for these situations.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13394 on: June 02, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »

Sounds like a great opportunity for a friendly wager. Ask him to put some money on it!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13395 on: June 02, 2016, 08:13:19 PM »

My wife tells me that I have a particular way of saying "OK" that somehow conveys my disdain and disgust with the question/statement being uttered and with the person who spoke it for wasting my time (personally I think she reads too much into it, I think I'm just doing a blank stare non-committal generic "OK").  You should develop something similar for these situations.

Did you grow up in Minnesota and play high school tennis? I know a guy that just has that look at times where he would smile at you that conveys the same message. I want to learn how to do it because it's so brilliant!

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13396 on: June 03, 2016, 12:19:57 AM »

Did you grow up in Minnesota and play high school tennis? I know a guy that just has that look at times where he would smile at you that conveys the same message. I want to learn how to do it because it's so brilliant!

Hehe, no.  Immigrated to US when I was 11 and grew up in NJ after that.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #13397 on: June 03, 2016, 04:12:55 AM »
I think it was on Kitsune's thread recently where someone said that it's important to remember that other people are not doing their actions at you.  Like, I was a vegetarian for 15 years, and people acted like it was a personal affront.  I'm not being vegetarian AT YOU, or saving money AT YOU, or retiring AT YOU.

Haha, so much this.  It's surprising how personally people take this stuff - I do what's best for me, they do what's best for them.

At work I overheard... Nothing!  Because they laid me off yesterday.  Oh well.  I know it's nothing personal, but still - ouch!  Between my final payout, savings and my fiancé still being employed, we'll be fine.  On the bright side, this gives me plenty of time to do some training courses, do self-directed study and get some exercise.  Unemployment ain't going to keep me down, and thank goodness for heading toward FI!  I can't imagine how stressful this would be for people with very little in the bank.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13398 on: June 03, 2016, 04:31:34 AM »

"I promise you in x years I'll have outgrown this office and outgrown working for a living".

(I wouldn't actually say it, but wow, I'd be thinking it!)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13399 on: June 03, 2016, 04:32:39 AM »

At work I overheard... Nothing!  Because they laid me off yesterday.  Oh well.  I know it's nothing personal, but still - ouch!  Between my final payout, savings and my fiancé still being employed, we'll be fine.  On the bright side, this gives me plenty of time to do some training courses, do self-directed study and get some exercise.  Unemployment ain't going to keep me down, and thank goodness for heading toward FI!  I can't imagine how stressful this would be for people with very little in the bank.

Very sorry to hear this coin, but very glad you have lots of reserves and a positive attitude. Great time of year to be laid off to (if you're in the Northern Hemisphere), hope you get some nice weather!