Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252855 times)

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #6550 on: January 29, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »
I do not understand what this "sports" hair salon thing is. Is it just a hair salon with a bunch of sports memorabilia and TVs with sports games being shown? Are there men yelling "FOOTBALL" while giving or receiving hair cuts?

These are all the rage around here.  I can think of 4 or 5 within a couple of miles.  They give you beer when you walk in, there are sports on TVs all over the place, pictures of scantily clad women and cars on the walls, scantily clad women do the hair cutting.  There's even one that has a pool table. 

One of my clients owns one so my haircuts are free except the tip.

Mechanix? :) they just put one in a strip mall by me, FWIW they are offering $10 haircuts which is pretty cheap compared to other options.
Cheers to fellow SE MI MMM

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6551 on: January 29, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »
One of my co-workers who lives in a fairly new 5000+ sq. ft. house was telling me that he and his wife will only be able to use half of the house because of some work that needs to be done downstairs. The furniture has been moved upstairs into the media room and now they must live constrained in a mere 2500 sq ft or so. He describes it as a sort of hellish situation that has been visited upon them. How will they manage to survive in less than 5000 sq ft?

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6552 on: January 29, 2015, 05:56:14 PM »
Back on OT:

My DH works with a guy going through a divorce, last year he made over $200,000 and he owns a busy construction company flipping houses and selling them and his crew is kept busy on other projects, like a new roof or inside work.

He is quitting and has to quit by a specific date so he can take a loan out on his 401k to pay for his divorce, now his divorce lawyer is quite expensive, but he has nothing to show for his excellent income, nothing, last year was really good to him but he has made well over 100k for at least 4 years, they have no children. It is just so sad that he hasn't saved anything, he told my DH that if they liquidated everything they could both just walk away, they have no equity in any of the homes, not enough to cover the debt anyway. It blows my mind.

And for most of those years she was working also.

Any reason they could like... not get divorced?  It may be less expensive to plan on outliving your spouse.

Well that is their choice, and they are young

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #6553 on: January 29, 2015, 06:01:55 PM »
CW1 to CW2: Want to go out to lunch today?
Cw2: Sure, but let's go somewhere we cheap, I just spent $200 on shoes and my cc is almost maxed.
cw1: should we invite cw3 (me)
cw2: nah, she brought her lunch AGAIN today.
After lunch (I really had brought my lunch and didn't go out)
cw1: So are you excited for your caribbean vacation coming up in a couple weeks?
Me: yes, I can't hardly wait.
cw2: Man, you're so lucky. I wish I could afford to on vacation. How do you have enough money to go on vacation?
Me thinking to myself: Because I don't go out to lunch every.single.day, spend hundreds on shoes, and max out my cc!!

I've adopted the same approach to this as to people saying they don't have artistic talent. If they say, "Oh, I can't draw," instead of convincing them to, I say, "Well, you put a lot of time into your golf, and I can't even hit the ball." So in these situations I just say, "Well, it depends what matters to you I guess. Shoes and lunch are important to you. I'm happy to do without so I can travel." I think it makes the point without being critical - shoes and lunch genuinely bring some people a lot of happiness.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #6554 on: January 29, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »
Every time I go on holidays, now, people at work say, "You're not going to try to just take carry-on luggage are you? Don't do it!"

I cannot work out what they're trying to save me from.

I don't even carry it on! I switched to carry-on size because I'm usually carting art with me in my hand luggage and need to be able to change bags around if there's a security/luggage space issue. Now I love it because you can pick things up and run. Travelling alone, too, I wouldn't do it with a larger bag because who will mind it when you have to go to the bathroom?

For three days of my trip to the States last year I was able to leave most of my luggage with a friend and travel with just a little (fashion) backpack, and it was WONDERFUL. I could go to museums and hop on and off trains...

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #6555 on: January 29, 2015, 07:52:14 PM »
+1 on this!

There are few things that I hate more than having to walk down to baggage claim and wait endlessly for the series of "who's black bag is that?". It is just easier to have everything (relative term) with you and once existing the plane go straight to your next gate or car with no worries.
For the occasions I have checked a bag (ie, I was moving from one city to another), I usually like to tie some kind of colorful ribbon to my bag so I can much more easily pick out my black bag from the crowd.

OT+Foamy, but your post gives me a good opportunity to voice a pet peeve of mine.  This is not directed at you, but again your post gave me an opp!

Anyone who stands right next to the baggage claim conveyor to wait for their bag needs to move back a few feet until they actually see their bag.  That way, when I see my bag I don't have to push my way through the other travelers, and the group of family and or friends that are visiting with them, RIGHT NEXT TO THE CONVEYOR!

OMG I want to stab those people. Especially when there's a line on the floor CLEARLY indicating "please stand behind this line." My boyfriend likes to just "accidentally" hit them with his suitcase as he pulls it off.

Stabbing is a bit much, no? But I know what you mean. Air travel seems to bring out the absolute worst qualities in people. I generally dislike flying because of the behavior of my fellow travelers. It's really quite disgusting.

Haha, maybe I'm overreacting a bit. UnleashHell's comment made me LOL. It's been a rough week :) But yes, totally agree about air travel bringing out the worst in humanity (and I'm far from a misanthrope, I really like people in general and am pretty tolerant... but the level of selfishness and rudeness you see at airports is pretty gross!)

I have an even better story. I flew yesterday, and while waiting for the checked baggage to come up the carousel a group of thugs were using the sides of the carousel to practice their skate tricks with their skateboards. And they didn't stop when the luggage started coming out. So to getyour bags you had to dodge flying skateboards and boarders.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6556 on: January 30, 2015, 06:22:39 AM »
I have an even better story. I flew yesterday, and while waiting for the checked baggage to come up the carousel a group of thugs were using the sides of the carousel to practice their skate tricks with their skateboards. And they didn't stop when the luggage started coming out. So to getyour bags you had to dodge flying skateboards and boarders.
Thats why all that silly "security" is really BS. With a nice, old-fashioned Naginata in the luggage it would not be you dodging skateboards but skateboards doging you! At least after the first 2 or 3 have been halved.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6557 on: January 30, 2015, 07:18:30 AM »
at least the orange black box foam was entertaining... this is just boring... my carryon is smaller than yours... who cares

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6558 on: January 30, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »
I do not understand what this "sports" hair salon thing is. Is it just a hair salon with a bunch of sports memorabilia and TVs with sports games being shown? Are there men yelling "FOOTBALL" while giving or receiving hair cuts?

These are all the rage around here.  I can think of 4 or 5 within a couple of miles.  They give you beer when you walk in, there are sports on TVs all over the place, pictures of scantily clad women and cars on the walls, scantily clad women do the hair cutting.  There's even one that has a pool table. 

One of my clients owns one so my haircuts are free except the tip.

Mechanix? :) they just put one in a strip mall by me, FWIW they are offering $10 haircuts which is pretty cheap compared to other options.
Cheers to fellow SE MI MMM

Yep!  Cheers!

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #6559 on: January 30, 2015, 07:56:31 AM »
Every time I go on holidays, now, people at work say, "You're not going to try to just take carry-on luggage are you? Don't do it!"

I don't even carry it on! I switched to carry-on size because I'm usually carting art with me in my hand luggage and need to be able to change bags around if there's a security/luggage space issue. Now I love it because you can pick things up and run. Travelling alone, too, I wouldn't do it with a larger bag because who will mind it when you have to go to the bathroom?

For three days of my trip to the States last year I was able to leave most of my luggage with a friend and travel with just a little (fashion) backpack, and it was WONDERFUL. I could go to museums and hop on and off trains...

I have to brag, because I am the queen of packing.  Our family of 4 just went on a 2-week vacation with just 3 backpacks (the kind you would bring to school, not the kind for camping) and 2 small duffel bags (20 inches.) And we even brought our snorkeling gear.
For work, I have traveled to Moscow in the winter for a week with just a 20-inch carryon.
I am constantly amazed at the amount of stuff that people travel with.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6560 on: January 30, 2015, 08:36:51 AM »
at least the orange black box foam was entertaining... this is just boring... my carryon is smaller than yours... who cares

And a comment like this adds what?

People will ignore it and post what they want, the side conversation either way will peter out, and it'll get back on track.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6561 on: January 30, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »

People will ignore it and post what they want, the side conversation either way will peter out, and it'll get back on track.
Yeah because I am the only one to ever speak their mind on here...

My god can some people be ignorant on here!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6562 on: January 30, 2015, 09:35:50 AM »

You're more than welcome to not participate then, but if you do, please try to add value or at least not be a *.  Even if some of us are ignorant.  Thanks.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
« Reply #6563 on: January 30, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
One of my co-workers who lives in a fairly new 5000+ sq. ft. house was telling me that he and his wife will only be able to use half of the house because of some work that needs to be done downstairs. The furniture has been moved upstairs into the media room and now they must live constrained in a mere 2500 sq ft or so. He describes it as a sort of hellish situation that has been visited upon them. How will they manage to survive in less than 5000 sq ft?

A good friend just bought a ~4,200 sf home and they were bemoaning all of the new furniture they would need to fill the giant space. And it IS giant! they have 3 children.

On the Anti-Anti-mustachian side my best friend is raising his 5 children in a 1,200 sf home.  The giant home trend is truly baffling to me. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6564 on: January 30, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »

Hey! What do you mean "some people?"

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6565 on: January 30, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »

A good friend just bought a ~4,200 sf home and they were bemoaning all of the new furniture they would need to fill the giant space. And it IS giant! they have 3 children.

On the Anti-Anti-mustachian side my best friend is raising his 5 children in a 1,200 sf home.  The giant home trend is truly baffling to me.

Not to me. But Ihave a few things that make a giant (well, maybe just big) house a want for me.

1: I like a big unfinished basement--shoot hockey pucks, bows and arrows, storage for furniture (my parents currently have 2 sets of furniture for pretty much a whole house stored down there—all bought at estate sales. They’re waiting on their stuff to sell to move the new tuff up), storage for hockey gear (not something that you want in a living space, and not something you want to keep outside in the winter). You can’t have a big basement without a big footprint.

2: I like having a family room, a guitar room, a big kitchen, and laundry NOT in the basement.

3: I “need” a king sized bed, and the furniture that we have is pretty big too (sentimental—used to be my grandparents. Also very, very high quality). So while a big master is not a necessity, I get claustrophobic in a small bedroom with everything around me.

EDIT: I should note that I won't actually be in a "Big" house for at least 5 years or so, and even then it will likely "only" be about 2000 sqft depending on the amount of bedrooms.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:17:29 PM by mtn »

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6566 on: January 30, 2015, 01:53:37 PM »

Not to me. But Ihave a few things that make a giant (well, maybe just big) house a want for me.

1: I like a big unfinished basement--shoot hockey pucks, bows and arrows, storage for furniture (my parents currently have 2 sets of furniture for pretty much a whole house stored down there—all bought at estate sales. They’re waiting on their stuff to sell to move the new tuff up), storage for hockey gear (not something that you want in a living space, and not something you want to keep outside in the winter). You can’t have a big basement without a big footprint.

2: I like having a family room, a guitar room, a big kitchen, and laundry NOT in the basement.

3: I “need” a king sized bed, and the furniture that we have is pretty big too (sentimental—used to be my grandparents. Also very, very high quality). So while a big master is not a necessity, I get claustrophobic in a small bedroom with everything around me.

EDIT: I should note that I won't actually be in a "Big" house for at least 5 years or so, and even then it will likely "only" be about 2000 sqft depending on the amount of bedrooms.

See, that's the thing. I personally feel that my husband and I are rolling around in the lap of luxury in our enormous 2500 sq ft. house (we even have a room devoted entirely to yoga and meditation) for just the two of us. I frequently wonder out loud whether we should be moving more toward minimalism and planning to downsize into 1600 sq ft, which still seems like it would be pretty comfortable to me.

My co-worker and his wife (no children) will be living in slightly more space than my luxurious home while half his 5000+ square foot home is less usable for a week. I can barely wrap my mind around the idea of 5000+ sq ft devoted to just two people, but ok, different strokes and all that. But to moan about the hellish situation of living in only 2500 sq ft for two people for a week, that seems worthy of mockery to me.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6567 on: January 30, 2015, 02:16:45 PM »
My co-worker and his wife (no children) will be living in slightly more space than my luxurious home while half his 5000+ square foot home is less usable for a week. I can barely wrap my mind around the idea of 5000+ sq ft devoted to just two people, but ok, different strokes and all that. But to moan about the hellish situation of living in only 2500 sq ft for two people for a week, that seems worthy of mockery to me.

Is it really a space issue or is it lack of access to the 60" TV or something? I would be irritated to be locked out of my kitchen for a week, whether I had 500SF or 5000... (though I doubt that's the issue for your coworker)

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6568 on: January 30, 2015, 02:32:56 PM »

Is it really a space issue or is it lack of access to the 60" TV or something? I would be irritated to be locked out of my kitchen for a week, whether I had 500SF or 5000... (though I doubt that's the issue for your coworker)

I asked that question because they do have a TV that takes up almost an entire wall along with movie theater seats. But apparently they were careful to keep the TV area clear (this was a priority). They also have access to their kitchen but no furniture. So they can cook but must eat upstairs, I suppose. They are solving this problem by eating all meals out.

What I wonder (but am not asking) is whether there is some sort of marital issue that requires lots and lots of space to keep under control. But if that were the problem, wouldn't 2500 sq ft be enough? I can completely ignore my husband in my enormous house, if I want.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6569 on: January 30, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »
I wish that if someone posts a "too foamy" type of complaint to this thread, he/she should feel obligated to also contribute a post about something else to pull it "back on track." And so. . . .

Former co-worker came by to visit briefly today and mentioned that her new job would be re-locating soon to a new suburban office campus, doubling the distance she would be away from her home. But she's actually looking forward to her hour-and-a-half toll-road commute to the new place "because it's so beautiful."

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #6570 on: January 30, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »
  • Manager 1 [to other manager who has season tickets to the Seahawks]: Are you going to Arizona [i.e. for the Super Bowl]?
  • Manager 2: No.
  • Coworker 1: Hey, did you know Coworker 2 is there right now?
  • Manager 1: Oh, that's right. She doesn't have Super Bowl tickets, though - she's just there because she wanted to be in the same city as the game.
  • Me: [headdesk]

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6571 on: January 30, 2015, 06:41:03 PM »
Overheard at "work drinks"... The graduates at our work haven't been paid yet, because we get paid next week. One of the new girls: "I'm so poor! I owe so much debt to so many people, and I'm so far in overdraft, like, sooo bad".... drinking a cocktail....

BUT! Another girl next to me: "I'm so poor because I put all my money into my home loan". Fuck yeah.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #6572 on: January 30, 2015, 06:59:06 PM »
  • Manager 1 [to other manager who has season tickets to the Seahawks]: Are you going to Arizona [i.e. for the Super Bowl]?
  • Manager 2: No.
  • Coworker 1: Hey, did you know Coworker 2 is there right now?
  • Manager 1: Oh, that's right. She doesn't have Super Bowl tickets, though - she's just there because she wanted to be in the same city as the game.
  • Me: [headdesk]
I love me some football these days and I may have spent more than I should have seeing my team's bowl game this year, but I cannot fathom why you would travel across the country to not even go to the game.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6573 on: January 30, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
Anti-mustachian: bunch of coworkers talking about tax returns being large so they can save it (some of them anyways, others will spend it).

Anti-anti-mustachian: one coworker will reduce his withholding and up his automatic draw to savings proportionally so he gets little/no refund this year. He's also going to buy a ??-plex near where he used to live (upstate NY) while working remotely in the spring. He's using mint and working on cutting back expenses too. He'll do just fine :).

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #6574 on: January 30, 2015, 10:50:41 PM »
Anti-mustachian: bunch of coworkers talking about tax returns being large so they can save it (some of them anyways, others will spend it).

Anti-anti-mustachian: one coworker will reduce his withholding and up his automatic draw to savings proportionally so he gets little/no refund this year. He's also going to buy a ??-plex near where he used to live (upstate NY) while working remotely in the spring. He's using mint and working on cutting back expenses too. He'll do just fine :).

You can go as high as a 4-plex, with a conventional mortgage. Any more units, and you must go with a commercial loan.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6575 on: January 31, 2015, 01:45:02 AM »
OK, I get one.  Coworker and me discuss that we're both planning vacations in the US this year:

CW: So, how does your planning go? 
Me:  Well, still searching for a good deal on a hotel that seems not to run down
CW: Wow, we're different.  I'm trying to figure out how expensive hotel I can afford!

At least she consider what she can afford... :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6576 on: January 31, 2015, 02:34:32 AM »

If you think 4200 sf is gigantic, just compare it to one of Mitt Romeys houses! (hint: nearly as big as the ground floor)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/01/28/how-big-is-mitt-romneys-california-house-here-compare-it-to-yours/

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6577 on: January 31, 2015, 04:21:01 AM »

You can go as high as a 4-plex, with a conventional mortgage. Any more units, and you must go with a commercial loan.

This I know (and he does as well). I'm just not sure what deal he'll end up finding. He intends to live in one of the units while renting out the rest. Not mustachian by any stretch, but he's very much on the FIRE path (with a lower income than mine!)

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #6578 on: January 31, 2015, 05:23:02 AM »

This I know (and he does as well). I'm just not sure what deal he'll end up finding. He intends to live in one of the units while renting out the rest. Not mustachian by any stretch, but he's very much on the FIRE path (with a lower income than mine!)

Not Mustachian by any stretch? You mean, other than all you told us about him. From what I read, he looks to know a lot about managing money! And living in one of the unit IS badass since most intend to live the big life outside of their plex

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6579 on: February 02, 2015, 08:24:51 AM »
Saw this on FB:  Husband bought wife one of those fancy, wearable exercise gadgets for Christmas (about $120).  Forgot he bought it and just found it a week ago, did an LOL and and "OOPSIE".

I had to just shake my head because they are constantly running out of money every month and don't know why.  I couldn't imagine buying something that cost that much and then just forgetting about it.

I wanted to respond "THIS IS WHY YOU ARE ALWAYS OUT OF MONEY", but instead just checked my Net Worth and my FI goal.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6580 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:25 AM »
One of my co-workers is always complaining about how she thinks her husband has a shopping addiction because he is always buying things just because they are on sale.

She confided in me a little while ago the extent of their credit card debt and then today I overheard her showing people her new dining chairs, they were a bargain at wholesale price - just $150 each, so how could she pass up a set of 8?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6581 on: February 02, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »
Back on OT:

My DH works with a guy going through a divorce, last year he made over $200,000 and he owns a busy construction company flipping houses and selling them and his crew is kept busy on other projects, like a new roof or inside work.

He is quitting and has to quit by a specific date so he can take a loan out on his 401k to pay for his divorce, now his divorce lawyer is quite expensive, but he has nothing to show for his excellent income, nothing, last year was really good to him but he has made well over 100k for at least 4 years, they have no children. It is just so sad that he hasn't saved anything, he told my DH that if they liquidated everything they could both just walk away, they have no equity in any of the homes, not enough to cover the debt anyway. It blows my mind.

And for most of those years she was working also.
You know, my second marriage somehow brought out the worst in both of us financially. We were both handling ourselves just fine before we met but somehow we lost our shit together and we were pretty broke when we split. Maybe this will be good for him. Sometimes disastrous events like a ruinous divorce can be the trigger to bring out our inner badass.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6582 on: February 02, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »
See, that's the thing. I personally feel that my husband and I are rolling around in the lap of luxury in our enormous 2500 sq ft. house (we even have a room devoted entirely to yoga and meditation) for just the two of us. I frequently wonder out loud whether we should be moving more toward minimalism and planning to downsize into 1600 sq ft, which still seems like it would be pretty comfortable to me.

I had 1900sf and two adult roommates whom I kicked out when my wife finished grad school and moved home, and all that space just felt empty and sad to me thereafter. It got to be too much, so we downsized to about 1100.

Here's the funny part: I now find myself wondering what the 3rd bedroom is for. It's going to be my office eventually when I quit the government and go self-employed, with a guest bed for visitors, but it still seems funny when I realize that I barely ever set foot in there. The actual area we use has shrunk by more than half, to about 800, without ever feeling crowded.

Childless co-workers here seem to prefer 3-4000sf with media rooms and home gyms, etc... it just sounds so much like work to me that I can't fathom the enjoyment of it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:53:43 AM by zephyr911 »

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #6583 on: February 02, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »
Former co-worker came by to visit briefly today and mentioned that her new job would be re-locating soon to a new suburban office campus, doubling the distance she would be away from her home. But she's actually looking forward to her hour-and-a-half toll-road commute to the new place "because it's so beautiful."

Cause that won't get old...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:56:33 AM by eyePod »

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #6584 on: February 02, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
Not at work, just a friend of ours. In one conversation (monologue, almost) he mentioned that...

• He's really annoyed about all his creditors calling all the time to ask for their money, because...
  • ...he's already paying a debt consolidation company to talk to them! And besides they really need to negotiate the amount down. (Apparently paying off only a fraction of your debt in some kind of right?)
  • But they better negotiate it, because he hates his job so he's going to quit, and the new job he lined up pays less and is further away, so...
  • ... he really needs to call the consolidator and make sure they'll take a smaller monthly payment. (Why would you ask about that beforehand?)
  • He'll be giving notice while the boss is out of town on training. Which he's really mad he didn't get invited to, even though he couldn't go anyway because he's already prepaid $3500 for a trip to Vegas at the same time.
  • So the boss can't just let him right away because there's nobody in the office (including my friend. The logic here escapes me.) But when she gets back he'll probably get let and then have a week long (probably unpaid) vacation!
  • But they won't have health insurance for 90 days. So better not get sick, haha! (I tried to interject that he should look into the ACA requirements and maybe subsidies, but he talked over me. Guess he'll find out about that if/when they fine him for not having coverage. Didn't even get around to asking about what happens if the new job doesn't work out.)
  • Both he and his wife are on daily meds for chronic conditions, which they already can't afford to pay out of pocket, so guess we better get a new 90-day supply before quitting day! (Didn't get a chance to point out that a 90-day supply ordered before quitting cannot possibly last until new insurance kicks in 90 days after new job starts.)

Then the conversation ended because he wanted to go get some fast food before we headed out to the (not free) activity for the evening. He turned down the freezer burritos and other stuff we had on hand.

Somewhere in there he also mentioned that they couldn't use home equity to pay off the other debts because they'd refi'd ~3 times in the last 10 years and were probably upside down. Which is going to be a problem, since they might have to get a new place so an aging parent can move in. And also his doctor keeps telling him that he needs a double joint replacement sometime soon. And he spent about $6k funding Kickstarter projects last year.

I really wish I was making this up. He's a nice enough guy, but it's depressing to listen to the way he runs his finances.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6585 on: February 02, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »

I had 1900sf and two adult roommates whom I kicked out when my wife finished grad school and moved home, and all that space just felt empty and sad to me thereafter. It got to be too much, so we downsized to about 1100.

Here's the funny part: I now find myself wondering what the 3rd bedroom is for. It's going to be my office eventually when I quit the government and go self-employed, with a guest bed for visitors, but it still seems funny when I realize that I barely ever set foot in there. The actual area we use has shrunk by more than half, to about 800, without ever feeling crowded.

Childless co-workers here seem to prefer 3-4000sf with media rooms and home gyms, etc... it just sounds so much like work to me that I can't fathom the enjoyment of it.

DW and I lived with a roommate and 3 dogs in our 900sf house for about 3 years.  When the roommate left, we converted that room in to an office.  It rarely gets used and I think we could go even smaller without any inconvenience.  I'm not sure what I would put in an extra 1000sf. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6586 on: February 02, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »
DW and I lived with a roommate and 3 dogs in our 900sf house for about 3 years.  When the roommate left, we converted that room in to an office.  It rarely gets used and I think we could go even smaller without any inconvenience.  I'm not sure what I would put in an extra 1000sf.
We never even really filled that one up. There was an entire second living area upstairs that never got furnished... #2 and #3 bedrooms were a guest room and her office, but were also mostly empty space. To be fair, I pretty much conceived that home as an investment property from the get-go, and only moved in temporarily because it was cheaper to use residential financing.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6587 on: February 02, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
Not at work, just a friend of ours. In one conversation (monologue, almost) he mentioned that...

• He's really annoyed about all his creditors calling all the time to ask for their money, because...
  • ...he's already paying a debt consolidation company to talk to them! And besides they really need to negotiate the amount down. (Apparently paying off only a fraction of your debt in some kind of right?)
  • But they better negotiate it, because he hates his job so he's going to quit, and the new job he lined up pays less and is further away, so...
  • ... he really needs to call the consolidator and make sure they'll take a smaller monthly payment. (Why would you ask about that beforehand?)
  • He'll be giving notice while the boss is out of town on training. Which he's really mad he didn't get invited to, even though he couldn't go anyway because he's already prepaid $3500 for a trip to Vegas at the same time.
  • So the boss can't just let him right away because there's nobody in the office (including my friend. The logic here escapes me.) But when she gets back he'll probably get let and then have a week long (probably unpaid) vacation!
  • But they won't have health insurance for 90 days. So better not get sick, haha! (I tried to interject that he should look into the ACA requirements and maybe subsidies, but he talked over me. Guess he'll find out about that if/when they fine him for not having coverage. Didn't even get around to asking about what happens if the new job doesn't work out.)
  • Both he and his wife are on daily meds for chronic conditions, which they already can't afford to pay out of pocket, so guess we better get a new 90-day supply before quitting day! (Didn't get a chance to point out that a 90-day supply ordered before quitting cannot possibly last until new insurance kicks in 90 days after new job starts.)

Then the conversation ended because he wanted to go get some fast food before we headed out to the (not free) activity for the evening. He turned down the freezer burritos and other stuff we had on hand.

Somewhere in there he also mentioned that they couldn't use home equity to pay off the other debts because they'd refi'd ~3 times in the last 10 years and were probably upside down. Which is going to be a problem, since they might have to get a new place so an aging parent can move in. And also his doctor keeps telling him that he needs a double joint replacement sometime soon. And he spent about $6k funding Kickstarter projects last year.

I really wish I was making this up. He's a nice enough guy, but it's depressing to listen to the way he runs his finances.

That is sickening.  I cannot imagine being in that situation and am thankful that I'm not even close.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6588 on: February 02, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »
Just a comment - if she has been a student, and then moving around, she may be getting mail (including banking mail) sent to her parents for consistency.  These days most of the young ones do everything on line.  How do I know?  Because I still get a lot of DD's mail - think of me as a post box.  Once she plans to actually stay in the same place for a second year she will do a change of address.  Its not a big deal for me, if something looks important I will get it to her and 98% of it is not important except for a paper trail.

One of the down sides of retirement is that I have nothing god-awful to contribute to this thread. 

I have a friend in similar situation, but the receiver end, will call her 'A'. A is 29, has a useless college degree in terms of defining a clear career path. Mommy and daddy: buy her clothes; paid for college; pay for 98% of her HORSE expenses; bought her a brand new Prius; and just recently basically told her that if she wanted to quit her current (sucky) job, they'd pay her living expenses and pay for more education if she wanted to. Until I started encouraging her to basically act like a grown up, she allowed her dad to handle all her finances. He still does at least 50% of it. She doesn't even get most of the bank statements - they all go to her parent's house.

If I didn't see evidence of progress, I'd be completely disgusted with her. Moral of story: people, please act like responsible parents. They came close to ruining this girl, and they don't seem to even see it.

I wish that was the case! No, she's not an independent adult yet. If something happened to her father, both she and her mother would be in serious trouble just because they're financially uneducated. The mother is incapable of caring for herself physically even, and is firmly in the camp of "must have a man to take care of you". 

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6589 on: February 02, 2015, 03:39:31 PM »

FYI, you don't have to pay the ACA fine if you have less than 3 consecutive months being uninsured. So assuming that the 90 days is his only break in coverage, he won't have to pay penalties. If the new job doesn't work out, then he will.

He sure sounds like a mess, though. It's lucky for him that the ACA has exemptions for situations like those.

crispy

« Reply #6590 on: February 02, 2015, 04:34:04 PM »
Coworker who is in her early forties mentioned today that she and her husband had less than 10K in retirement because they had too much debt to be able to save money. A few minutes later she said that when her husband received a raise this year, they planned to buy a bigger house.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6591 on: February 02, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »
Coworker who is in her early forties mentioned today that she and her husband had less than 10K in retirement because they had too much debt to be able to save money. A few minutes later she said that when her husband received a raise this year, they planned to buy a bigger house.

I'm not sure why but it just hit me how little $10,000 is for anyone who's been working for decades. I'm half her age and have 10K in cash and retirement accounts. :-0

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6592 on: February 02, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »

I'm not sure why but it just hit me how little $10,000 is for anyone who's been working for decades. I'm half her age and have 10K in cash and retirement accounts. :-0
Heck $10k is less than some people's emergency funds.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6593 on: February 02, 2015, 08:03:57 PM »

Heck $10k is less than some people's emergency funds.

$10k is less than *my* emergency fund, and I'm only 25 and not very mustachian.

Full disclosure, my current emergency fund also includes my down-payment savings, but still.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6594 on: February 02, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »
Not at work, just a friend of ours. In one conversation (monologue, almost) he mentioned that.

horrifying shit show

Ho.

Lee.

Shit.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6595 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »
I wouldn't even know where to start with someone who can't grasp addition and subtraction.... :/

crispy

« Reply #6596 on: February 03, 2015, 07:18:15 AM »
I wouldn't even know where to start with someone who can't grasp addition and subtraction.... :/

She is a sweet person, and they are working hard to get out of debt right now which is why she mentioned the retirement thing in the first place.  I did suggest that they stay in their house so they could start saving towards retirement when their debt is paid off.  She has mentioned before that they owe almost as much as they paid for their current house which they bought 12 or so years ago because they had cashed out the equity a couple of years back so they won't even have a big down payment if they buy another house.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:42:33 PM by crispy »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6597 on: February 03, 2015, 07:33:17 AM »

Since our credit card gives us each a free checked bag, we've stopped using carry on luggage.
My reasons:
1) At our small airport everything bigger than a purse or small backpack has to be gate checked, and it is a giant PITA to wait in the cold (or hot, it never seems to be comfortable)  jetway waiting for them to unload your bag.  Especially if you have a tight connection!
2) If you don't have group 1 boarding, even if you don't gate check, you have to fight for overhead space because too many people carry on stuff.
3) Airports seem to make their bathrooms with the idea that no one will have luggage. 
4) Running to catch a plane is so much easier without a bag.

So, I've now gone to either checked only or carry on only- but I won't do both in the same trip.  If carry on, I try to use a backpack instead of a rolling bag when I can.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6598 on: February 03, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »

Since our credit card gives us each a free checked bag, we've stopped using carry on luggage.
My reasons:
1) At our small airport everything bigger than a purse or small backpack has to be gate checked, and it is a giant PITA to wait in the cold (or hot, it never seems to be comfortable)  jetway waiting for them to unload your bag.  Especially if you have a tight connection!
2) If you don't have group 1 boarding, even if you don't gate check, you have to fight for overhead space because too many people carry on stuff.
3) Airports seem to make their bathrooms with the idea that no one will have luggage. 

So, I've now gone to either checked only or carry on only- but I won't do both in the same trip.  If carry on, I try to use a backpack instead of a rolling bag when I can.

THIS is exactly why I hate carryons. We used to have a Delta Amex and only ever flew Delta or Southwest. Haven't flown yet since I got rid of the card but I am dreading it :P

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6599 on: February 03, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »
Most of these things only seem relevant if you assume you're maxing out the quota of carry-ons. I normally travel with a backpack that fits under the seat in front of me. No gate-check, no PITA, no overhead space, no bathroom issues, and I can run pretty well with it.
This is slightly easier in warmer seasons with less winter clothing to haul, but I've pulled it off year-round for a week or more, even internationally.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!