Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252629 times)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #14400 on: August 15, 2016, 05:01:58 AM »

"Was your wife a virgin when you met her?"

I did actually come up with that one (well, husband) but actually, they're high school sweethearts, so I actually think they both were!

Points for being consistent, I guess?

And here I was hoping that it'd be a teachable moment...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14401 on: August 15, 2016, 06:32:02 AM »
Overheard with friends:

Friend: "Any book recommendations? I know you like to read."

Me: "I've recently enjoyed x y and z"

Friend: "Great. Where do you buy your books from? I never know where is the best place?"

Me: "Oh I don't buy fiction, I get them at the library."

Friend: "Yeah, but I read in bed. I don't like the idea of something someone else has touched in my bed."

Me: ........................? (Yeah, mainly I was trying to think up dirty jokes, but I was actually left speechless).

... Newsflash: bookstore employees have touched new books.

Also, gawd, I wish men like this would talk more when you first meet them. It'd save a lot of time.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14402 on: August 15, 2016, 06:58:29 AM »
I did explain that books are made in factories, travel in shipping containers, get unloaded by some Saturday kid who's probably been to the loo and not washed his hands, then picked his nose... not to mentioned fondled by shoppers, scanned by the shop assistant etc.

Apparently that is fine, library germs are not. Interestingly the friend in question would happily read library books elsewhere in the home... just not in bed. I wish we had a 'mind-boggled' emoticon.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14403 on: August 15, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
A colleague who is single and paying minimal rent in a house their parents own and struggling to make ends meet discovered on the weekend that their sibling earns less than them, is paying a mortgage, raising two kids, supporting a stay at home parent and is getting by just fine.

Hopefully this is the moment when they realise the problem isn't the world or that they are not paid enough but the problem is them and their spending.

I'll bet their problem suddenly becomes that the country gives too many tax breaks to married people with kids.

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14404 on: August 15, 2016, 07:27:11 AM »
I finally joined the fun!

Overheard at my wife's work:
CW and his wife are buying their first house and are moving in a week or so.  They went to a pet store/breeder, his wife fell in love with a purebred dog (didn't hear what kind).  CW figures it'll be about $800... Nope.  $2,500. 

CW objects because they can't afford it, but she reeeeeally wants it, so they finance it.

Not sure what the rate or duration is, but hopefully they're not completely caught off guard by home and dog maintenance costs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:34:23 AM by Rogue »

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14405 on: August 15, 2016, 07:32:06 AM »
A colleague who is single and paying minimal rent in a house their parents own and struggling to make ends meet discovered on the weekend that their sibling earns less than them, is paying a mortgage, raising two kids, supporting a stay at home parent and is getting by just fine.

Hopefully this is the moment when they realise the problem isn't the world or that they are not paid enough but the problem is them and their spending.

I'll bet their problem suddenly becomes that the country gives too many tax breaks to married people with kids.

And right he would be. As a single person with a child making an above average wage (and over 2x the average person my age), I'd make the argument that my country gives too much to people with children. ;)

I finally joined fun!

CW and his wife are buying their first house and are moving in a week or so.  They went to a pet store/breeder, his wife fell in love with a purebred dog (didn't hear what kind).  CW figures it'll be about $800... Nope.  $2,500. 

CW objects because they can't afford it, but she reeeeeally wants it, so they finance it.

Not sure what the rate or duration is, but hopefully they're not completely caught off guard by home and dog maintenance costs.

I like animals, a lot. But the price of some of these things cause an ache in my heart. Hundreds a year for food/healthcare/doggy daycare. Thousands for some people if they move far away from their job and buy an expensive, large house to have pets.

Not to be offensive but I have a feeling that many people get so obsessed and ignore prices for pets because they don't have children; but children can be cheaper than pets. (Going back to my above writing in this post, last year because of the messed up system I actually made $265.78/month net from having a child. Not including child support, it was 265.36$/month.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:43:13 AM by kayvent »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #14406 on: August 15, 2016, 08:11:28 AM »
Overheard with friends:

Friend: "Great. Where do you buy your books from? I never know where is the best place?"

Friend: "Yeah, but I read in bed. I don't like the idea of something someone else has touched in my bed."

Me: ........................? (Yeah, mainly I was trying to think up dirty jokes, but I was actually left speechless).

"That's what s/he said."

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14407 on: August 15, 2016, 08:41:52 AM »
Overheard with friends:

... Newsflash: bookstore employees have touched new books.

Also, gawd, I wish men like this would talk more when you first meet them. It'd save a lot of time.
I did explain that books are made in factories, travel in shipping containers, get unloaded by some Saturday kid who's probably been to the loo and not washed his hands, then picked his nose... not to mentioned fondled by shoppers, scanned by the shop assistant etc.

Apparently that is fine, library germs are not. Interestingly the friend in question would happily read library books elsewhere in the home... just not in bed. I wish we had a 'mind-boggled' emoticon.

Bringing the foam back to overheard at work: this is actually a thing I encountered ALL THE TIME when working at a bookstore. People would bring their books up to the cash register and not let me touch them, but would hold them up while I scanned them.

It was kinda annoying, because it was harder to ring up, and they inevitably went to the wrong bar code first (our system could only read the one that was programmed with the ISBN, not the one for big-box stores). But it was hilarious because the cashiers were inevitably the cleanest employees. Dear customer, do you have any idea what our receiving employees or morning stockers are like? (And I was a stocker for awhile!)

That doesn't even touch the problems with other customers! Seinfeld lied to you; there is absolutely no way to track a book that's been in the bathroom, nor would we care.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14408 on: August 15, 2016, 09:01:13 AM »
Seriously shocked at how many people are precious about their books!

I last worked retail in 1998, and I scanned everything brought to the till. Can anyone with more recent experience confirm whether customers are funny about staff touching things other than books, or is it limited specifically to things people will be using in bed?!

I guess self-checkout must be popular with germaphobes. They have to touch the screen though, oh no, best get the hand sanitiser out!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14409 on: August 15, 2016, 11:04:35 AM »

Finance... a dog. Okay, I LOVE dogs. I want a dog some women my age want a baby (but am not at a stage in my life where dog ownership is responsible). But why go into debt for a dog? There are millions of dogs that need homes that you could get for nearly free!

Although I guess on the plus side, maybe being in dog debt will prevent them from dumping the dog if they get tired of it--which happens to many impulse-buy dogs.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14410 on: August 15, 2016, 11:33:01 AM »
[
Finance... a dog. Okay, I LOVE dogs. I want a dog some women my age want a baby (but am not at a stage in my life where dog ownership is responsible). But why go into debt for a dog? There are millions of dogs that need homes that you could get for nearly free!

Although I guess on the plus side, maybe being in dog debt will prevent them from dumping the dog if they get tired of it--which happens to many impulse-buy dogs.
[/quote]

I agree, I can't fathom buying a purebreed unless you really have a specific need (showing them or pedigree is that important to you), and would never consider it if I couldn't even afford the purchase price because costs only go up from there.

Nothing wrong with have a furr-baby ;-).

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14411 on: August 15, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »

Reminds me of my youthful naivety. Granted I grew up in rural area, but I had no idea people just gave up dogs. In my mind all the dogs at shelters were strays or new puppies. I was probably 20 before I realized in horror that some people just get rid of their dog!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14412 on: August 15, 2016, 12:23:11 PM »

Reminds me of my youthful naivety. Granted I grew up in rural area, but I had no idea people just gave up dogs. In my mind all the dogs at shelters were strays or new puppies. I was probably 20 before I realized in horror that some people just get rid of their dog!

You're lucky - we keep getting asshats from the city who drive to our rural area to dump off dogs that they no longer want. If they're lucky, they're found by someone who adopts them.

Otherwise, well... how many pampered house pets do YOU think know how to survive in the wild? We find them half-starved, half-feral, and full of worms, assuming they've evaded the coyotes and wolves, and the local vet will put them down at cost if you manage to catch them and bring 'em in, because at that point there's not much else to be done.

Let's just say that the past 30 years of seeing minimum 2-3 dogs who fit that description every year have given me a really jaded view of human affection for dogs. Asshats.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14413 on: August 15, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »

As a licensed germaphobe, there's a pretty big difference between someone touching the cover (which is easily cleaned) and dozens of people touching every single page of the book. Most of the paper in a new book will be untouched by human hands

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14414 on: August 15, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »

As a licensed germaphobe, there's a pretty big difference between someone touching the cover (which is easily cleaned) and dozens of people touching every single page of the book. Most of the paper in a new book will be untouched by human hands

Sometimes when I check out a hard-cover library book, if it looks kinda old or icky, I will cover it with a paper bag, like how we used to do as kids covering school textbooks.  And I get a little cringe when I get to a page that looks dirty, but then I just don't touch the page there.  I don't feel physical anxiety over the shipper, stocker, cashier, etc.  I realize this line-drawing is nonsensical, but I am just doing what alleviates my anxiety, which is not escalating and not hindering my life's enjoyment.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14415 on: August 15, 2016, 03:08:29 PM »

so then you must love the digital age where paper books are no longer necessary and i still have no idea why they are still even published.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14416 on: August 15, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
so then you must love the digital age where paper books are no longer necessary and i still have no idea why they are still even published.

Because people like me will keep buying them

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14417 on: August 15, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »

Yes.  I don't personally have a problem with library books besides the inconvenience of physical medium.  But I can understand the reasoning for why library books are more gross than "new" books.

P.S. Does anyone else keep their kindle in a ziplock bag to keep it safe from germs and pool water?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14418 on: August 15, 2016, 03:45:09 PM »

P.S. Does anyone else keep their kindle in a ziplock bag to keep it safe from germs and pool water?
I use a ziplock back for my phone when I'm going to a place/situation where it might get wet, but never for reasons of germs

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #14419 on: August 15, 2016, 03:49:42 PM »

I keep a plastic bag under the bathroom sink specifically for bathtub reading purposes.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #14420 on: August 15, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
My supervisor wants to buy a throne for her dining room table.  Everyone else would have to sit in a regular chair.  This little gem she showed me is only $900:

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14421 on: August 15, 2016, 04:52:18 PM »
In fairness, $900 sounds like a not terrible deal on a throne.

Still stupid.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14422 on: August 15, 2016, 05:20:18 PM »

via Imgflip Meme Generator

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14423 on: August 15, 2016, 06:05:36 PM »

I'm all for having dogs and I have even had a rescue pure bread dog (beautiful and loving fluffball but not that smart).  There are some things I will even pay $2500 for, however I will not pay $2500 for something that eats its own poop, if given the chance.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14424 on: August 15, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »

I'm all for having dogs and I have even had a rescue pure bread dog (beautiful and loving fluffball but not that smart).  There are some things I will even pay $2500 for, however I will not pay $2500 for something that eats its own poop, if given the chance.

The upfront cost of that 2500 dog is very small compared to the cost of owning it for years afterwards. If all dogs cost 2500 to buy upfront we'd have less getting dumped in rural areas.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14425 on: August 15, 2016, 07:43:27 PM »

The upfront cost of that 2500 dog is very small compared to the cost of owning it for years afterwards. If all dogs cost 2500 to buy upfront we'd have less getting dumped in rural areas.

The purebreeds are a minefield of health issues. Breeds of dogs aren't separate species but inbreeding gone crazy.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14426 on: August 16, 2016, 02:46:54 AM »
[ I have even had a rescue pure bread dog

Does a pure bread dog go moldy after a few months?

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14427 on: August 16, 2016, 03:56:35 AM »
On the topic of dogs. Overheard a co worker talking about their friend. $15k on 3 nights in dog hospital and the dog died.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14428 on: August 16, 2016, 05:02:15 AM »

I think there was an article a few years back about a pure bread maker.. could save on the upfront cost of the pure bread dog.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14429 on: August 16, 2016, 05:36:26 AM »
Re the germs on books: what are they doing to the books that would make germs a problem? Licking them? Are these a very particular genre of book?

Yes, there will be germs on the books, just like there will be germs on the clothes you take off. This is why you have hand sanitizer by the bed (and, I presume, a sheep dip or spray can of sanitizer for any bed companion that you plan on licking).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14430 on: August 16, 2016, 06:22:56 AM »
Re the germs on books: what are they doing to the books that would make germs a problem? Licking them? Are these a very particular genre of book?

Yes, there will be germs on the books, just like there will be germs on the clothes you take off. This is why you have hand sanitizer by the bed (and, I presume, a sheep dip or spray can of sanitizer for any bed companion that you plan on licking).

I don't have hand sanitizer by the bed, and certainly wouldn't use it after reading a book.  Unless you're immuno-compromised germs are pretty good for you . . . they keep your immune system functioning properly and they keep your digestive system working properly.  The potential of an insignificant amount of germ contact from a book from the library is a feature, not a bug.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14431 on: August 16, 2016, 06:27:07 AM »

I think it has to do with what's on their hands as a result of reading the books in bed. Fifty Shades of Something...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14432 on: August 16, 2016, 06:49:01 AM »
I'm more worried about bed bugs lurking in the book covers. It only takes 5 seconds per book to look, and potentially saves you months of headaches.

Not that it's ever happened to me, but you know what they say about prevention...

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14433 on: August 16, 2016, 06:54:14 AM »
Because every time I buy a book (no that often anymore), paper books are cheaper than digital.  And used paper backs are even cheaper.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14434 on: August 16, 2016, 07:03:51 AM »
Because every time I buy a book (no that often anymore), paper books are cheaper than digital.  And used paper backs are even cheaper.

But the library is free!

(ours does ebook lending, but I don't have a compatible device)

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14435 on: August 16, 2016, 07:14:41 AM »

I think there was an article a few years back about a pure bread maker.. could save on the upfront cost of the pure bread dog.

LOL! 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14436 on: August 16, 2016, 08:40:44 AM »

I see the picture came from the History channel but we don't have cable TV. Who is that guy? Bad hair day?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14437 on: August 16, 2016, 08:52:05 AM »

I see the picture came from the History channel but we don't have cable TV. Who is that guy? Bad hair day?

He was always claiming that the reason for something unexplained on a program was due to aliens.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14438 on: August 16, 2016, 09:14:29 AM »

He was always claiming that the reason for something unexplained on a program was due to aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDKvWiToj8Y

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14439 on: August 16, 2016, 02:00:31 PM »
Thanks folks. I'm a little more educated this afternoon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_A._Tsoukalos

He just makes this stuff up as the cameras roll doesn't he??? ;)

One of the comments below the YouTube video suggested that his college drug use must have left an indelible mark. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:04:20 PM by Joe Lucky »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14440 on: August 16, 2016, 05:22:49 PM »
Pretty much.

Husband made me download an episode of Ancient Aliens last week because I'd never seen it and didn't know who he was. It was about how the people we suspect are ancient aliens (you know, the ones who built the pyramids and easter island statues) may in fact be time travelling humans from the future.

They were deadly serious about it too. Provided "evidence" and everything. It was truly scary the way they thought.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #14441 on: August 16, 2016, 05:54:50 PM »

...and a lot of sad little boys and girls who could never own a dog because of the upfront cost. Ours, for one example.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14442 on: August 16, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »

They were deadly serious about it too. Provided "evidence" and everything. It was truly scary the way they thought.

Reminds me of people the anti-vaccine crowd.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14443 on: August 16, 2016, 07:22:01 PM »
Pretty much.

Husband made me download an episode of Ancient Aliens last week because I'd never seen it and didn't know who he was. It was about how the people we suspect are ancient aliens (you know, the ones who built the pyramids and easter island statues) may in fact be time travelling humans from the future.

What was even worse: finding it in the sparsely populated documentary section of Barnes and Noble, re-shelving it properly in the fiction section, telling the clerk what I'd done because I'd found the DVDs mis-shelved, and having her say: "But that's where it's supposed to be."

Me: "No, documentaries are based on some kind of scientific or historical research. This is entertainment TV, kind of like that show about the zombie apocalypse."

Clerk: "But it's from National Geographic."

Me: "National Geographic was bought by Fox, and hasn't done a cultural anthropology documentary in years. They show all kinds of things that aren't documentaries. This for example is a satire."

Clerk: "But it's corporate policy to put it in with the documentaries."

Me: "I notice you have very few of them compared to a couple years ago. Maybe you should make the section smaller or maybe see what's being produced internationally."

Clerk: "It's corporate policy."

Me: "It's fashionable to be pig-ignorant these days, and I get that your corporate policies reflect that, but we're all adults here and it's OK if we think for ourselves."

She just kind of kept repeating that. It's like the aliens ate her brain or something.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14444 on: August 16, 2016, 08:11:38 PM »
A lowly cashier doesn't give a damn how movies are categorized.  I worked retail and could not have cared less how we displayed clothes. Corporate sent us a model photo. We copied it. I would have responded much the same way she did if a customer repeatedly told me why our display was "wrong".

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14445 on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:44 PM »
Pretty much.

What was even worse: finding it in the sparsely populated documentary section of Barnes and Noble, re-shelving it properly in the fiction section, telling the clerk what I'd done because I'd found the DVDs mis-shelved, and having her say: "But that's where it's supposed to be."

Me: "No, documentaries are based on some kind of scientific or historical research. This is entertainment TV, kind of like that show about the zombie apocalypse."

Me: "National Geographic was bought by Fox, and hasn't done a cultural anthropology documentary in years. They show all kinds of things that aren't documentaries. This for example is a satire."

Me: "I notice you have very few of them compared to a couple years ago. Maybe you should make the section smaller or maybe see what's being produced internationally."

Me: "It's fashionable to be pig-ignorant these days, and I get that your corporate policies reflect that, but we're all adults here and it's OK if we think for ourselves."

She just kind of kept repeating that. It's like the aliens ate her brain or something.

Just to clarify, you got in some sort of pissing match with a bookstore employee over where a DVD was shelved?  Uh...congrats?  You win?

cawiau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14446 on: August 16, 2016, 08:19:38 PM »
Pretty much.

Just to clarify, you got in some sort of pissing match with a bookstore employee over where a DVD was shelved?  Uh...congrats?  You win?

Thank God I am not the only one that noticed that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #14447 on: August 16, 2016, 10:31:48 PM »

Even if she had agreed with him, she still shouldn't move it because then it would be wrong in the system for every other employee that might try to find it.  Corporate policies might not make sense 100% of the time, but standardization has its own value.

Also wage slaves at a big chain have no control over these things.

When I worked at Caribou people would tell us things like "you know Starbucks doesn't charge for soy.  I would come here more if you didn't charge."  K.  I don't GaF.  If you don't like my store go to another store, but I'm not gonna get up on a step ladder and cross out the charge on the menu boards sent by corporate.

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14448 on: August 17, 2016, 03:14:11 AM »
Pretty much.

You do realise that it is legitimate to classify it as non-fiction, right? Fiction is based on what the creator of the work has purported to be not real (like Harry Potter is fiction since JK Rowling isn't really saying there is a wizard with a scar on his forehead in the real world) but nonfiction applies to works even when they are factually dubious like documentaries about aliens, religious texts, etc as the mere fact that they are asserted to be true by the creator means they are nonfiction.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14449 on: August 17, 2016, 07:21:59 AM »
Hello. I check out library books and then read them on the toilet while I poop. Please feel free to spray any and all books with lysol.

Thanks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!