Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252606 times)

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #11750 on: January 15, 2016, 09:05:07 AM »
I've struggled to maintain a balanced ratio in the last decade because of the hard-right turn within the GOP*, but I understand exactly what MoonShadow is saying above. I too am sensitive to any trend toward excessive self-confirmation within a group, and I like to play devil's advocate when all the comments on a topic seem to lean the same way - not just in politics, but on any subject.

*yes, politics in general is more polarized, but actual stances have moved more to the fringe among right-wing members of Congress (and their supporters) than left; this is supported and even quantified by research data.

Reasons why I call myself conservative, but don't like being called Republican, even though I usually vote for them. 

Trump is certainly not conservative.  I might be writing in a name this coming presidential election.

And for what it's worth, I've known many racist Asians, and most of them are conservative, and most of them are good people.

For whatever reason some Taiwanese don't like Chinese.  Some Chinese don't like Japanese.  In math team, I can't tell you how many of my classmates told me that they got a lecture because a white kid beat them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:15:50 AM by MrMoogle »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11751 on: January 15, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »
Can we stop calling them flat-screens now?  They are just TVs.  If you want to indicate that they are expensive, just say expensive or new.
If LG get their way with their new curvy flexible TV then we will have to start calling the old cheap LCD ones flat screen to distinguish them.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11752 on: January 15, 2016, 09:19:37 AM »
For whatever reason some Taiwanese don't like Chinese.  Some Chinese don't like Japanese. 
History and politics are enough to explain those feelings.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #11753 on: January 15, 2016, 09:26:31 AM »
I.. I was told I could listen to music at a reasonable volume from 11 to 12..

Most amplifiers only go to ten, but this one goes to eleven.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11754 on: January 15, 2016, 09:41:32 AM »
For whatever reason some Taiwanese don't like Chinese.  Some Chinese don't like Japanese. 
Yeah, I didn't really mean "for whatever reason."  I saw it mostly with the parents who had lived in those countries, and less in the kids who were mostly born here. 

It's a time, not a volume.  Office Space 4tw.

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #11755 on: January 15, 2016, 10:09:33 AM »
Yeah, I didn't really mean "for whatever reason."  I saw it mostly with the parents who had lived in those countries, and less in the kids who were mostly born here. 

I am guessing Beltim is well aware and looked at it as an opportunity to toss in a Spinal Tap joke (another cult classic you need to watch).  Nice work.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11756 on: January 15, 2016, 10:15:56 AM »
I'll throw this one in here.

Coworker makes just above minimum wage in housekeeping. Brings me maintenance requests b/c I file those for my dept. One of my many hats.

Starts telling me about an interesting group they would be attending that night. Its an investment group and their friend turned them on to it. Friend is about to receive their first commission check and is anxious for this coworker to join too. Its called "Team Nation" and your ~$800 membership gets you access to all sorts of coupons. Of course the more people you bring in, the more money you'll make... Yep - MLM.

$800 for membership (don't know if that's annually or what) and $2500 for a lifetime membership.

I asked if coworker knew about the coupon discount rates and about some other details. No awareness of anything, coworker's whole awareness would be based on the sales spiel delivered that night.  I knowingly asked whether the coworker had done any independent research on the group and the answer was no. I did 2 mins worth of Google searches and the results were mixed. The research revealed that it was either a great group to belong to or it was a worthless scheme depending on who you believed.

I looked up MLM on Wikipedia and read coworker the definition and they were surprised at what their friend wanted them to be involved in and how it functioned.

Well then, the coworker declared that they couldn't really afford the MLM membership anyhow. Maybe they would just buy Powerball tickets instead... (This was before the Powerball was won by those three people).

At that point I shifted the conversation and then we went back to work...

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11757 on: January 15, 2016, 10:24:43 AM »

I am guessing Beltim is well aware and looked at it as an opportunity to toss in a Spinal Tap joke (another cult classic you need to watch).  Nice work.

I wish I could claim credit for that excellent reference, but the Spinal Tap joke was TheGrimSqueaker's – perhaps unsurprising considering his user name (is that a Discworld reference?).

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11758 on: January 15, 2016, 10:33:53 AM »
In my experience, if the community you live or work in heavily tilts to one political demographic then that side is the more intolerant, more prone to jumping to conclusions and much less likely to engage in civil discourse while the opposition is usually much more civil, tolerant and can actually have a conversation about things you disagree with.  I guess it probably has something to do with confirmation bias and not having your perceptions challenged very often.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11759 on: January 15, 2016, 10:41:09 AM »
I've known many racist Asians, and most of them are conservative, and most of them are good people.

For whatever reason some Taiwanese don't like Chinese.  Some Chinese don't like Japanese.  In math team, I can't tell you how many of my classmates told me that they got a lecture because a white kid beat them.
How is being racist compatible with being good people?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11760 on: January 15, 2016, 11:06:24 AM »

What? You can't just go quoting an entirely different movie any time you want.  This isn't nam, there are rules!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #11761 on: January 15, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
I've known many racist Asians, and most of them are conservative, and most of them are good people.

Glad I'm not the first person to bring this up. I can agree to a different statement that while they are still shitty people because they're racist, "they are otherwise good people."

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11762 on: January 15, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »

Everyone has flaws. I assume the racism MrMoogle is talking about is not Aryan Nations level ideological seething hatred, just casual bigotry (which is still bad! obviously).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11763 on: January 15, 2016, 11:32:49 AM »

Glad I'm not the first person to bring this up. I can agree to a different statement that while they are still shitty people because they're racist, "they are otherwise good people."

I may be naive, but I don't know all the terminology in this field.

Usually racist implies mistreatment based on a sense of superiority.  In that context, yeah you are a bad person and that's probably the kind of racism being discussed here.  Although there's the possibility that you are just a misguided and naive person who has been taught the wrong things but has not hurt anyone based on those beliefs.

But is there a word for the kind of racism that simply acknowledges genetic population differences?  For example, to say that ethnic Norwegians typically have light skin (most innocuous example I can think of at the moment).

Or, a less innocuous example, that black people tend to have physical characteristics (as a population) that give them an advantage in certain sports?  Is this racism?  If so, I don't think it makes you a bad person.  If not, what do you call it?  You're a stereotypist? (Although you likely recognize that just because a population has statistical characteristics, they don't necessarily apply to any particular individual)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11764 on: January 15, 2016, 11:39:25 AM »
I am not a republican

... but any time anyone criticizes Republicans, I sure pop out of the woodwork to protest.

Maybe he takes his own advice and has friends that are Republicans, so he's sensitive to the all-too-common assertions that all Republicans are racist, and being racist is the only reason somebody would be a Republican.
Racist is not the only reason.  We have sexist, racist, homophobic, believing in the idea that your religion should be shoved down other's throats.  Or those who think money is more important than others having equal rights.  Lots of reasons, none of which are palatable. 

MOD NOTE: Forum rule #1.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:42:37 AM by arebelspy »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11765 on: January 15, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »
But is there a word for the kind of racism that simply acknowledges genetic population differences?  For example, to say that ethnic Norwegians typically have light skin (most innocuous example I can think of at the moment).

Or, a less innocuous example, that black people tend to have physical characteristics (as a population) that give them an advantage in certain sports?  Is this racism?  If so, I don't think it makes you a bad person.  If not, what do you call it?  You're a stereotypist? (Although you likely recognize that just because a population has statistical characteristics, they don't necessarily apply to any particular individual)

If it is true, it's called a fact.

People like some facts and don't like others, usually based on whether they think it gives them an advantage or makes them feel better about themselves.

I don't give a damn about being politically correct but I do care about being factually correct.

Too many people think being racist equal saying true things people do not want to hear.  That isn't racism.  It might be brutal honesty or it might be tactless, but that doesn't make it racist.

However, one may latch onto a fact and give it far more importance than it merits because one is a racist - and ignore other facts that contradict one's world view because one is a racist (or just insecure).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11766 on: January 15, 2016, 11:59:20 AM »
Racist is not the only reason.  We have sexist, racist, homophobic, believing in the idea that your religion should be shoved down other's throats.  Or those who think money is more important than others having equal rights.  Lots of reasons, none of which are palatable.
You may find this difficult to accept, but as a rational centrist I object to the idea that 100% of Republicans support their party out of bigotry. I hate what the party is doing these days and I would rather see it continue to blow apart through internal strife than take the Presidency again in its current form, but it's not that hard to ascribe good intentions to at least some of its members.

I have nothing interesting to report from work today, other than that most of my co-workers have about as charitable an image of Democrats as you do of Republicans... which is why I don't talk much about politics in the office. xD

oinkette

• Stubble
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
« Reply #11767 on: January 15, 2016, 12:14:26 PM »

And for what it's worth, I've known many racist Asians, and most of them are conservative, and most of them are good people.

Does not compute.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:16:25 PM by oinkette »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11768 on: January 15, 2016, 12:17:45 PM »
Example of the typical workday stuff that happens were I am:

guy 1 to guy 2: Stop opening the door. I keep thinking it lunch.
guy 2 to guy 1: I'm sorry. You can eat me if you like
guy 1 to guy 2: That's hot.
guy 2: Drop it like it's hot (singing)

This happened today. Also today: guy #1 from the story above installed hand sanitizer boxes in a few areas. It comes out white and foamy, so he puts his hand under it and make an orgasm sound. Yep. And he's the highest level employee in the office I work in. All day, every day.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11769 on: January 15, 2016, 12:23:09 PM »

This happened today. Also today: guy #1 from the story above installed hand sanitizer boxes in a few areas. It comes out white and foamy, so he puts his hand under it and make an orgasm sound. Yep. And he's the highest level employee in the office I work in. All day, every day.

Sounds like a fun place to work

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11770 on: January 15, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
We have our fair share of that kind of fun here. Mostly it involves popularizing names for the senior staff and making light of shitty situations. When someone's about to get stuck with a long meeting or a shitty project, they're commonly advised to put on a miniskirt and pumps so they can feel pretty while they're getting....

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11771 on: January 15, 2016, 12:34:38 PM »

DW's response: "I want to work there!"

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11772 on: January 15, 2016, 01:05:05 PM »

Does not compute.

I agree.  How can you be a conservative AND a good person?

[MOD NOTE:  Manners, please.  Rule #1]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:46:51 PM by FrugalToque »

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11773 on: January 15, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »
We have our fair share of that kind of fun here. Mostly it involves popularizing names for the senior staff and making light of shitty situations. When someone's about to get stuck with a long meeting or a shitty project, they're commonly advised to put on a miniskirt and pumps so they can feel pretty while they're getting....

Holy hostile work environment, Batman!

Seriously, what the hell?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11774 on: January 15, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
Holy hostile work environment, Batman!

Seriously, what the hell?
Oh, I just mean between me and my friends here... my boss doesn't tell me that >.<
It's how we deal with dumb shit.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11775 on: January 15, 2016, 01:58:49 PM »
Can we stop calling them flat-screens now?  They are just TVs.  If you want to indicate that they are expensive, just say expensive or new.

I like how this is still the trope for pointing out wasteful spending by the recipients of government benefits. "And I bet in the housing projects they have a flat screen television in every living room!"

Yeah, because they're under a hundred bucks at Rite Aid now.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11776 on: January 15, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »
If they are under $100 at Rite Aide then they are $30 elsewhere.

Seriously - our franchise drugstores here are as bad as convenience stores. Certain things up around the cash registers are priced double and triple what they cost elsewhere. 

I won't shop places like that.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11777 on: January 15, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »
Does not compute.
Does one flaw make you a bad person?  I have many flaws.  The people I'm talking about weren't aggressively racist.  They were very kind to me, even though they thought their kids shouldn't lose to me, because I am white.  They seemed to be hard working people.  They raised good kids, and it didn't seem like it was in spite of them.  Their kids seemed to think it was funny. 

So yes, I think they are good people.

Does not compute.
Obviously I'm conservative and biased.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #11778 on: January 15, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »

I also like the sound of this place!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11779 on: January 15, 2016, 02:31:54 PM »

I also like the sound of this place!

Guy #1 is the boss of guy #2 (and most of the office for that matter). Does this change your opinion?

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #11780 on: January 15, 2016, 02:39:26 PM »
Ooh,  I've just moved office and got one already! One of the girls ~25yrs was saying she's giving up booze for 'dry January'. She said she was going to donate the money she would have spent on alcohol to Cancer Research, which I thought was cool - then she said it would be £200!
That's like my half of the mortgage!

That sounds like a cheap mortgage to me. Well done!

£200 is about $290, right? Sounds about par for the course, assuming that she goes out to a club instead of a pub, Friday and Saturday, 4 weeks a month. Figure about $10 a drink, 4 drinks a night...

Or if she is into wine, that could be done in 10 bottles very easily as well.

Thanks! I just checked to see if I was exaggerating, and found £200 is actually a little bit more than half the mortgage repayment (fairly cheap house in a nice city, with a large deposit from savings, paid mortgage down a bit and our tracker rate mortgage means the mortgage interest rate is very low atm)

I guess clubs or cocktail bars can explain how you might spend £200/month on booze, I just can't imagine wanting to do that every weekend night - it sounds so tiring! I like a good cocktail but it's ~£35 for all the ingredients to make my fave at home, and that will make around 25 cocktails. I begrudge paying like £7 for usually an inferior version.

Also people I knew when I was early twenties who went out that often usually bought new outfits/shoes/make-up/perfume to wear out most weeks - can't imagine how much they were spending just getting dolled up to go out! And they were always complaining they were 'broke'.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #11781 on: January 15, 2016, 02:41:33 PM »
Guy #1 is the boss of guy #2 (and most of the office for that matter). Does this change your opinion?

Okay, that's a bit weird...

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11782 on: January 15, 2016, 02:50:33 PM »
The political polarization on display in this thread today has thoughly proven my earlier point.  The hatred makes my skin crawl.  Sometimes reading this forum makes me want to take a shower.

JrDoctor

• Stubble
« Reply #11783 on: January 15, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
Ooh,  I've just moved office and got one already! One of the girls ~25yrs was saying she's giving up booze for 'dry January'. She said she was going to donate the money she would have spent on alcohol to Cancer Research, which I thought was cool - then she said it would be £200!
That's like my half of the mortgage!

That sounds like a cheap mortgage to me. Well done!

£200 is about $290, right? Sounds about par for the course, assuming that she goes out to a club instead of a pub, Friday and Saturday, 4 weeks a month. Figure about $10 a drink, 4 drinks a night...

Or if she is into wine, that could be done in 10 bottles very easily as well.

Thanks! I just checked to see if I was exaggerating, and found £200 is actually a little bit more than half the mortgage repayment (fairly cheap house in a nice city, with a large deposit from savings, paid mortgage down a bit and our tracker rate mortgage means the mortgage interest rate is very low atm)

I guess clubs or cocktail bars can explain how you might spend £200/month on booze, I just can't imagine wanting to do that every weekend night - it sounds so tiring! I like a good cocktail but it's ~£35 for all the ingredients to make my fave at home, and that will make around 25 cocktails. I begrudge paying like £7 for usually an inferior version.

Also people I knew when I was early twenties who went out that often usually bought new outfits/shoes/make-up/perfume to wear out most weeks - can't imagine how much they were spending just getting dolled up to go out! And they were always complaining they were 'broke'.

The club scene isnt even great, its too loud to chat to friends or use your oration skills to try and woo a lady.  And then the price, fuck me, once your out of university a 'normal' night out can easily cost £40+.  One of my favourite facebook acquantances to lament, lives at home, has two jobs (one I'm sure she pays no tax on) and is constantly broke, but goes out 2-3x p/w and has nothing else to show for working 50 hours a week. 

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11784 on: January 15, 2016, 03:02:04 PM »
Anyone who follows one site of the political spectrum, and feels like EVERYONE on the other side is a horrible person and none of their beliefs can possibly have merit, is a ignorant fool and is more problem than solution.  I really wish there was a way that I could unfollow a once fun thread. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11785 on: January 15, 2016, 03:14:37 PM »

Okay, that's a bit weird...

How so?  It's actually better that way

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #11786 on: January 15, 2016, 03:43:42 PM »
You didn't see that coming, probably because you have likely never taken the time to actually consider the viewpoints of your opposition. I am not a republican, but I've known many Asian republicans.  In my own experience, the Asian republican is more common than the American-of-African-Decent republican; but that might just be a local thing.  I'd challenge you to ask her about her real perspectives.  If you were to honestly consider them, I'd wager that you'd find that her responses are much more thoughtful than what you expected, and certainly more thoughtful than a bumper sticker slogan.  You probably would still disagree, but you might gain a better appreciation for differing viewpoints.

Moonshadow, Why are you so PC correct with one ethnic group and not with the other?  Shouldn't it be "Americans-of-Asian-Decent"? 

For that matter, to avoid implicit bias shouldn't this level of courtesy be extended to all people?  "Americans-of-European-Decent", "Americans-of-Central American-Decent", "Americans-of-American-Decent" etc.?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11787 on: January 15, 2016, 04:30:55 PM »
You didn't see that coming, probably because you have likely never taken the time to actually consider the viewpoints of your opposition. I am not a republican, but I've known many Asian republicans.  In my own experience, the Asian republican is more common than the American-of-African-Decent republican; but that might just be a local thing.  I'd challenge you to ask her about her real perspectives.  If you were to honestly consider them, I'd wager that you'd find that her responses are much more thoughtful than what you expected, and certainly more thoughtful than a bumper sticker slogan.  You probably would still disagree, but you might gain a better appreciation for differing viewpoints.

Moonshadow, Why are you so PC correct with one ethnic group and not with the other?  Shouldn't it be "Americans-of-Asian-Decent"? 

No particular reason, it just felt right.

For that matter, to avoid implicit bias shouldn't this level of courtesy be extended to all people?  "Americans-of-European-Decent", "Americans-of-Central American-Decent", "Americans-of-American-Decent" etc.?

I could call all of you "illegal immigrants" if I want.  My username is not random.

However, just this past Christmas, my mother had my USMC dress blues portrait out, and my sister said I look Asian in it.  My response was, "yeah, that picture always did highlight my slant eyes".  This caused my mother to gasp, and my kids to laugh. Daddy says the silliest things!  Most people see my b&w military ID photo from my early 20's and say I look like Hispanic, which tends to surprise people who know me IRL, because mostly I look like an old white guy with a permanent, low level sunburn.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11788 on: January 15, 2016, 04:49:29 PM »
Anyone who follows one site of the political spectrum, and feels like EVERYONE on the other side is a horrible person and none of their beliefs can possibly have merit, is a ignorant fool and is more problem than solution.  I really wish there was a way that I could unfollow a once fun thread.

Seconded. As Elsa sings 'let it go, let it gooooo'.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11789 on: January 15, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »
My CWs have a weekly 'order in' lunch date, where they each spend $15-$20 on greasy takeaway, and then sit at the common table and bitch loudly about work, how busy/stressed they are, their weight, and how expensive everything is. I wouldn't actually care except it's in the middle of our office and so loud I have to wear headphones to concentrate on work.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #11790 on: January 15, 2016, 05:26:41 PM »
Talking to CW who happens to be a close friend about driving lessons. He's taken them before but stopped due to lack of funds. Bear in mind in the UK you typically have around 15-20 hours of training with an instructor next to you before you're let loose on the roads alone. An hour can cost £20+

Me: "You've started lessons again?"
CW: "Yeah, I should be done by August. I just need to clear the January debt first."
Me: "January debt?"
CW: "Yeah, after spending money for Christmas you're left with a bunch of debt in January. It's going to be a lean month!"
Me: "You could just, you know, not spend as much as Christmas."

I was met with a blank stare.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11791 on: January 15, 2016, 05:45:23 PM »

Hey it was hard enough to persaude doctors to wash their hands - don't discourage them

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11792 on: January 15, 2016, 07:42:32 PM »

Hey it was hard enough to persaude doctors to wash their hands - don't discourage them

From my understanding, that was only because a nurse noticed the problem; and after all, what could she know about medical science!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #11793 on: January 15, 2016, 09:23:53 PM »
Anyone who follows one site side of the political spectrum, and feels like EVERYONE on the other side is a horrible person and none of their beliefs can possibly have merit, is a ignorant fool and is more problem than solution.  I really wish there was a way that I could unfollow a once fun thread.

Classic Group Attribution Error.  A common logic fallacy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:25:57 PM by Malaysia41 »

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11794 on: January 15, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
Wait a minute -- frugalnacho got moderated:

Does not compute.

[MOD NOTE:  Manners, please.  Rule #1]

But Gin1984 did not???

I am not a republican
... but any time anyone criticizes Republicans, I sure pop out of the woodwork to protest.

Maybe he takes his own advice and has friends that are Republicans, so he's sensitive to the all-too-common assertions that all Republicans are racist, and being racist is the only reason somebody would be a Republican.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11795 on: January 16, 2016, 01:42:42 AM »
But Gin1984 did not???

That's right.

Frugalnacho's post was reported.  Gin's was not. 

Do you think that the volunteer moderators read every post on the forums?

We don't.  That would be more than a full time job for more than one person.

If we happen to notice something breaking forum rules as we casually browse the forums for our own entertainment, we'll correct it, or we'll take a look at something if it's pointed out to us.

You can be helpful, with regards to the moderation (click the "report to moderator" button on the bottom left of every single post if you see something breaking forum rules), or ignore it, but complaining about unpaid mods missing something probably won't get you very far. ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11796 on: January 16, 2016, 05:59:11 AM »
But Gin1984 did not???

That's right.

Frugalnacho's post was reported.  Gin's was not. 

Do you think that the volunteer moderators read every post on the forums?

We don't.  That would be more than a full time job for more than one person.

If we happen to notice something breaking forum rules as we casually browse the forums for our own entertainment, we'll correct it, or we'll take a look at something if it's pointed out to us.

You can be helpful, with regards to the moderation (click the "report to moderator" button on the bottom left of every single post if you see something breaking forum rules), or ignore it, but complaining about unpaid mods missing something probably won't get you very far. ;)

The "report to moderator" seems to be at the bottom right on my screen.  YMMV

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11797 on: January 16, 2016, 10:23:50 AM »
Oh right, thanks!  :)

I so rarely click it. ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11798 on: January 16, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »
To be fair, it's generally a good idea as a moderator to always check the context for any report you get.

I've... seen a lot of very one sided moderation reports in my years as a moderator (not here) ;-)  The "report to moderators" functionality can be a pretty effective tool if moderators do not check context.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11799 on: January 16, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »
To be fair, it's generally a good idea as a moderator to always check the context for any report you get.

I've... seen a lot of very one sided moderation reports in my years as a moderator (not here) ;-)  The "report to moderators" functionality can be a pretty effective tool if moderators do not check context.
thats why "hatespeech" deleting/blocking is such a problem. After all, "Woman have the right to drive a car" is hatespeech in Saudi Arabia and "Kurds have a right to live, too" in Turkey.

And then you hear at work (not just now, but happened) that a lot more should be censored to "protect people". Because looking away has always proofed to be a valid strategy to prevent something from happening.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!