Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252972 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #12500 on: February 23, 2016, 01:31:25 PM »
Not "overheard", but "saw" at work, but this is my favorite.

On nice days, I'll spend my lunch sitting in my car (not idling of course, windows open) - reading, people watching, etc. One day I saw two people return from their lunch, walk halfway back to the building, at which point the one woman noticed an open parking spot closer to the building, so she walked back to her car to move it to the closer parking spot. OMG ;-) Never mind that she had already walked the difference between the two parking spots, so she wasn't even saving any walking (not that that's an excuse anyway). This was several years ago, but I still laugh about it...

Maybe she was planning to do leg day in the company gym after work and then hobble back to her car?

Edit: or just planned to carry a bunch of stuff back and forth after work
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:33:03 PM by dragoncar »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12501 on: February 23, 2016, 02:50:25 PM »
Maybe a condition of working is that they experience the new car smell at all times.
UUAAAHHH!
You made me remember one of the worst things I have ever experienced.
You can actually buy this breath-taking new-car stink as a spray and spray the inside of your car with it. Someome I was driving with used it. I wondered why the stink was so bad - and then he got the spray out and sprayed his car (while driving for Gods sake!) with it and I nearly kicked open the door at full speed.
I made damn sure on the backway I would be in one of the other cars.
Such Horror!!!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12502 on: February 23, 2016, 02:53:28 PM »
At Ginormocorp the old-timers of 25 years or more get a reserved parking space in the front lot closest to the building; in fact most of that lot is reserved.  When one of them goes on vacation or is going to be out for the day, there are almost literal fights to get to the person and ask if they can use the space.  One of the favored raffle around here prizes is use of a reserved space.  I don't walk fast at all, but even my turtle ass can make it from the far end of the back parking lot to the building in three minutes. 

At my ginomocorp's annual charity raffle, there used to be two indoor parking spots donated by the company. Instead of having to wait for approximately 7 years tenure and paying $150/month, you got the year free. That always had the most tickets.

There have recently been some changes in the building, and the parking supply is being restricted starting next year, though still based on tenure with the company. Instead of needing around 7 years tenure, you're going to need around 30, or so they're predicting.

There are people who are threatening to retire rather than be forced to *gasp* walk outside to and from their cars.

I've been here 10 years. I've never been on the waiting list for parking, and I don't intend to start now.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12503 on: February 23, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »
At Ginormocorp the old-timers of 25 years or more get a reserved parking space in the front lot closest to the building; in fact most of that lot is reserved.  When one of them goes on vacation or is going to be out for the day, there are almost literal fights to get to the person and ask if they can use the space.  One of the favored raffle around here prizes is use of a reserved space.  I don't walk fast at all, but even my turtle ass can make it from the far end of the back parking lot to the building in three minutes. 

At my ginomocorp's annual charity raffle, there used to be two indoor parking spots donated by the company. Instead of having to wait for approximately 7 years tenure and paying $150/month, you got the year free. That always had the most tickets.

There have recently been some changes in the building, and the parking supply is being restricted starting next year, though still based on tenure with the company. Instead of needing around 7 years tenure, you're going to need around 30, or so they're predicting.

There are people who are threatening to retire rather than be forced to *gasp* walk outside to and from their cars.

I've been here 10 years. I've never been on the waiting list for parking, and I don't intend to start now.

Are these same people whining about bikes being allowed in the building? BTDT. Apparently if a car can't be parked inside, in a storage area, out of the way, bikes can't either - fair is fair after all.

Bike parking here is in the parking ramp, but in an area that's not usable for cars. So, it'd be a little weird to hear that, but I guess my argument would be that the more people who bike the fewer there on the list waiting for a parking spot.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12504 on: February 23, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »
Ha, this is a timely discussion.  My officemate is car shopping.  His wife is pregnant, due any day.

Quote today: "I feel like you can't even get a decent new car for under $45k.  And that doesn't sound like that much money, but $600 a month, that's a lot of money!"

We had quite the interesting conversation, because of course, $45k is a lot of money!  He said you can't even get a new Civic for under $30k (I swear my Civic was less than $20k 7 years ago so...)

Anyway, he's looking at trucks with a large cab to fit the baby.  He currently already has a large truck that would fit the baby in the back. I'm not sure whose car they are replacing.  Anyway, he's thinking about leasing because "I can't be sure with changes if I'm going to want the same car in 3 years.  I mean, with electric, and hybrids, and Teslas and..."

And I said "And what if you have twins next time and need a third row??"  (Ha.  This happened to a friend who bought an SUV then had twins and could not fit 3 carseats in the SUV).

Anyway, I have to sit with him every day, so I didn't facepunch him.  But I did point out that my Matrix and Civic are just fine.  But he just pointed out that he drives a lot more and likes it.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12505 on: February 23, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »
I finally have one!

Late yesterday, I was talking with a new co-worker, who was hired in my department about two weeks ago.  He was formerly employed doing the same kind of work at another factory nearby, that is shutting down; and is about 50 years old, single & divorced with one grown child.  No more child support, and no alimony.  I mentioned my plan is to retire a month after my 55th birthday, as my youngest child turns 18 right before she graduates high school.  He told me about how thrifty he has become as a single older man; such as selling out the McMansion & moving into a tiny house that's paid for, selling the man-toys he never really needed (boat, motorcycle, etc.), and that he would love to retire at 55, but he doubts he will have enough money by then, as it looks like we are heading into another recession.  So I asked him how much he has in his 401k.

"Oh, something just shy of a million..."

"OMG!  Dude!  Why are you even here?!  If I had $900K or more, I would never have bothered to look for another job after I was laid off!"

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12506 on: February 23, 2016, 05:53:07 PM »
I finally have one!

Late yesterday, I was talking with a new co-worker, who was hired in my department about two weeks ago.  He was formerly employed doing the same kind of work at another factory nearby, that is shutting down; and is about 50 years old, single & divorced with one grown child.  No more child support, and no alimony.  I mentioned my plan is to retire a month after my 55th birthday, as my youngest child turns 18 right before she graduates high school.  He told me about how thrifty he has become as a single older man; such as selling out the McMansion & moving into a tiny house that's paid for, selling the man-toys he never really needed (boat, motorcycle, etc.), and that he would love to retire at 55, but he doubts he will have enough money by then, as it looks like we are heading into another recession.  So I asked him how much he has in his 401k.

"OMG!  Dude!  Why are you even here?!  If I had $900K or more, I would never have bothered to look for another job after I was laid off!"

Casually slip the 4% article into an email to him...?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12507 on: February 23, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »
I finally have one!

Casually slip the 4% article into an email to him...?

I don't know him well enough to be slipping him anything, yet.  But I don't think that's it anyway, I think he is just scared of becoming a sloth and dying.  So many guys here have $2M+, but don't retire because they believe that they will die in three years.  I keep telling them that correlation is not causation; and that statistic is because so many people retire before they want due to health issues, but it doesn't seem to change anyone's mind.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12508 on: February 23, 2016, 07:24:46 PM »
I don't know him well enough to be slipping him anything, yet.  But I don't think that's it anyway, I think he is just scared of becoming a sloth and dying.  So many guys here have $2M+, but don't retire because they believe that they will die in three years. I keep telling them that correlation is not causation; and that statistic is because so many people retire before they want due to health issues, but it doesn't seem to change anyone's mind.

Wow. For real?!

Enough of them for it to be statistically significant, yes.  About 10% of them believe it to some degree or another, but only a few believe it as a fact.

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12509 on: February 23, 2016, 09:18:34 PM »
I just spoke with the woman who manages the cell phone contracts for my company. A number of employees racked up >$1,000 cell phone bill for ONE month each for their own phone numbers. I think the highest ever was something on the order >$4,000 for ONE MONTH. No that's not a typo: $4K for 1 month. I am 29 years old and I don't think I've spend more than $1-2K over the course of my LIFE on cell phones & plans, nevermind spending that in one month.

When confronted, the users in question had the audacity to say that it was their right to run up a company cell phone bill that high and refused to change their usage.

A few years ago on deployment us plebs used prepaid mobiles whilst the HQ group had plan phones, when several of the higher ups ran multi $000 bills up they removed the prepaids from us and then complained they could not contact us.

They never stopped the high bills from occurring, never gave us the prepaids back and never stopped whinging about the lack of contact.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12510 on: February 24, 2016, 07:09:04 AM »
I don't know him well enough to be slipping him anything, yet.  But I don't think that's it anyway, I think he is just scared of becoming a sloth and dying.  So many guys here have $2M+, but don't retire because they believe that they will die in three years. I keep telling them that correlation is not causation; and that statistic is because so many people retire before they want due to health issues, but it doesn't seem to change anyone's mind.

Wow. For real?!

Enough of them for it to be statistically significant, yes.  About 10% of them believe it to some degree or another, but only a few believe it as a fact.
If you look at the average overweight US citizen it might even be a bit true if they arent forced to move at least a bit at work and after quitting they are completely sedentiary.
Also psychology (like there is a signifcant increase in deaths if the partner has died - maybe that works for "my partner the work" too?)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12511 on: February 24, 2016, 07:49:58 AM »
Ha, this is a timely discussion.  My officemate is car shopping.  His wife is pregnant, due any day.

Quote today: "I feel like you can't even get a decent new car for under $45k.  And that doesn't sound like that much money, but $600 a month, that's a lot of money!"

We had quite the interesting conversation, because of course, $45k is a lot of money!  He said you can't even get a new Civic for under $30k (I swear my Civic was less than $20k 7 years ago so...)

Anyway, he's looking at trucks with a large cab to fit the baby.  He currently already has a large truck that would fit the baby in the back. I'm not sure whose car they are replacing.  Anyway, he's thinking about leasing because "I can't be sure with changes if I'm going to want the same car in 3 years.  I mean, with electric, and hybrids, and Teslas and..."

And I said "And what if you have twins next time and need a third row??"  (Ha.  This happened to a friend who bought an SUV then had twins and could not fit 3 carseats in the SUV).

Anyway, I have to sit with him every day, so I didn't facepunch him.  But I did point out that my Matrix and Civic are just fine.  But he just pointed out that he drives a lot more and likes it.
Your CW is using the baby as an excuse to pile on more debt. New 2016 Civic LX starts just under $20k. I'm sure your CW wants the top-of-the-line with every feature and accessory.
My wife and I are raising 2 kids with a 2006 Civic and Accord, both LX trim. My neighbors, who make me look bad, are raising 2 boys with a 3-door base model Yaris and Matrix. My sister and her husband were raising a kid with an early 2000s BMW 3 series and a Jetta, forced to get a minivan when they had twins. So I get the utilitarian minivan thing.
But a truck to replace a truck... sure go ahead and contribute to one's own economic malaise, then holler and beg for a bailout/forgiveness.
A lot of my co-workers do the same thing to upgrade to a large truck or SUV when they're expecting a kid. But the co-worker drives the new vehicle, and doesn't use it for baby ride. Instead the spouse still has the old car and is tagged with the baby all day. So the new vehicle is for weekend excursions. Oy vey!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12512 on: February 24, 2016, 09:25:02 AM »
And when there are babyseats that fit those smaller vehicles available - why buy a big vehicle - unless you want it of course?

We did babies/parents with two smallish cars. We are still driving a 1st gen CR-V that took my wife to the hospital when she was in labor with child #1 and that same child will likely be occasionally driving that same CR-V later this year.

We've been told several times that we needed to buy something larger b/c of the baby and then child number two was coming along, and then the kids are growing and they won't fit in the backseat forever, and then that car is getting old, etc.

Still driving it. What worked for us then, still works for us now. Same car getting the job done.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #12513 on: February 24, 2016, 09:43:34 AM »
My younger brother and I got toted around in an early Corolla until I was 15ish and the engine blew. We are not small people.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12514 on: February 24, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »
I just spoke with the woman who manages the cell phone contracts for my company. A number of employees racked up >$1,000 cell phone bill for ONE month each for their own phone numbers. I think the highest ever was something on the order >$4,000 for ONE MONTH. No that's not a typo: $4K for 1 month. I am 29 years old and I don't think I've spend more than $1-2K over the course of my LIFE on cell phones & plans, nevermind spending that in one month.

When confronted, the users in question had the audacity to say that it was their right to run up a company cell phone bill that high and refused to change their usage.

A few years ago on deployment us plebs used prepaid mobiles whilst the HQ group had plan phones, when several of the higher ups ran multi $000 bills up they removed the prepaids from us and then complained they could not contact us.

They never stopped the high bills from occurring, never gave us the prepaids back and never stopped whinging about the lack of contact.

Reminds me of a line from Entourage, "Turtle has got a $1500 a month cellphone bill. You can get an unlimited plan for $200, get him an unlimited plan!"

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12515 on: February 24, 2016, 10:44:53 AM »

Your CW is using the baby as an excuse to pile on more debt. New 2016 Civic LX starts just under $20k. I'm sure your CW wants the top-of-the-line with every feature and accessory.
My wife and I are raising 2 kids with a 2006 Civic and Accord, both LX trim. My neighbors, who make me look bad, are raising 2 boys with a 3-door base model Yaris and Matrix. My sister and her husband were raising a kid with an early 2000s BMW 3 series and a Jetta, forced to get a minivan when they had twins. So I get the utilitarian minivan thing.
But a truck to replace a truck... sure go ahead and contribute to one's own economic malaise, then holler and beg for a bailout/forgiveness.
A lot of my co-workers do the same thing to upgrade to a large truck or SUV when they're expecting a kid. But the co-worker drives the new vehicle, and doesn't use it for baby ride. Instead the spouse still has the old car and is tagged with the baby all day. So the new vehicle is for weekend excursions. Oy vey!
Ha, yes, we have an 06 Matrix and an 09 Civic. My CW is not at all Mustachian, so, what are you gonna do?  He's a decade younger than me, maybe he'll figure it out.

I think they are looking at replacing the wife's car (not sure what it is, but a sedan I assume).  But they are looking at SUVs and "she likes the Acura, which is even more expensive".

My husband has a coworker that leases for the same reason - he just figures his annual lease payment at $3000 and figures that this way he can replace each car with whatever he wants every few years.  I think my hubby calculated the annual cost (for the car and maintenance, not gas or insurance) for the Matrix at $2k approximately (so far anyway, it's almost 10 years old), but of course that doesn't factor in current value of the car.

Ah well.  I have a third friend who traded their 05 Matrix for a Hyundai SUV when they had kid #2, but now are pregnant with #3.  So will have 4,2, and infant.  Guess they better get the minivan.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12516 on: February 24, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »
We are still driving a 1st gen CR-V that took my wife to the hospital when she was in labor with child #1 and that same child will likely be occasionally driving that same CR-V later this year.

That's awesome!

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #12517 on: February 24, 2016, 01:14:48 PM »
We are still driving a 1st gen CR-V that took my wife to the hospital when she was in labor with child #1 and that same child will likely be occasionally driving that same CR-V later this year.

That's awesome!

My dad bought a station wagon so my mom could drive herself to the hospital if she went into labor while he was at work.  My sister and I both learned to drive stick shift in that car. 

The CR-V that took me to the hospital to have my son will likely be the car he takes to college.  A good car is a good car...

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12518 on: February 24, 2016, 03:56:45 PM »
Not to rain on your parades, as it's all awesome.  But I must be getting too old, because I was reading about mid-2000 cars and thinking that's pretty new.  My park avenue is a '97 model, I think; and my daughter about to turn 16 has laid claim to it.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12519 on: February 24, 2016, 03:57:24 PM »

A sure sign they don't actually use the truck as a truck. They don't make half-ton 4 doors with an 8ft bed. Either they're going all the way to a huge 3/4 or 1 ton truck, or they are "upgrading" to a 4 door truck with a micro-bed.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #12520 on: February 24, 2016, 04:18:37 PM »

Anyway, he's thinking about leasing because "I can't be sure with changes if I'm going to want the same car in 3 years.  I mean, with electric, and hybrids, and Teslas and..."

This guy's problem is that he's buying based on wants, not needs, and his wants change with every passing fad.

Unless someone in the family suffers an injury or illness that requires significant vehicle modification to allow them to drive, or there's a multiple birth in the family, this man's needs aren't going to change much over time. Not so with wants.

Wants are funny things. There's no upper limit to what a person can want, because wants don't cost anything to get, store, or maintain. There's no cost to exchange either. Getting rid of one want and replacing it with another doesn't result in a person giving up time, money, or other wants. So a person can flit about from one want to the next, desperately desiring it one day and feeling bland about it the next day. There's no harm in being frivolous in one's taste, as long as that frivolity doesn't lead to actually making commitments that tie up significant resources. The second we start putting real resources into satisfying a want, we need to be reasonably sure that we're going to keep wanting it after we have it.

Wanting something even after you have it, and preferring it over other similar things you don't have, is a sign of satisfaction. It sounds to me as though Lease Guy just isn't going to be satisfied with any car out there, because the grass will always be greener on the other side of some fence.

It would suck so badly to not be able to experience long-term satisfaction. Does this guy get to experience it in other areas of his life, or is chronic dissatisfaction just related to vehicles?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12521 on: February 24, 2016, 04:47:24 PM »
Does this guy get to experience it in other areas of his life, or is chronic dissatisfaction just related to vehicles?

I dunno.  Just got married, having a baby, bought a house but...

You know, we live in a very expensive place and we work at a company that doesn't pay well.  And we are in an industry that isn't doing so great.  So...

If we lived somewhere else, we'd have enough money to spend it on "whatever" and save for retirement.  Bigger houses, cars, boats, whatever.

But here, you have to scrimp and save to get a small, shitty, old home in a crappy school district.

If we lived in the Bay Area, yeah, the housing situation would be worse but pay would be a whole lot better.

If we were in a different industry, our incomes would not be stagnant.

I don't have a feel for how happy vs. dissatisfied he is.  But I do see how he compares himself to "everyone else" - people who inherited money, people in software, people who work in finance, people who live elsewhere, people who bought at a better time, etc.  I guess it's a mid-30's crisis, when you realize that you aren't "all that" like you used to be.  You know, the whole American way of work hard and succeed and be the best.  But...there are a lot of factors in there that are hard to control.  (Like, who knew semiconductors was going to fall apart  decades ago?)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12522 on: February 24, 2016, 07:31:47 PM »

A sure sign they don't actually use the truck as a truck. They don't make half-ton 4 doors with an 8ft bed. Either they're going all the way to a huge 3/4 or 1 ton truck, or they are "upgrading" to a 4 door truck with a micro-bed.

OOh - yes, they do, sort of.  My dad bought a new ford with 4 doors (he can afford it), but needs it for his company (kitchen cabinets), so bought the option with the flip out "long bed" tail gate cage.  You open the tailgate, and this cage folds over, and presto!  Long bed that is at least 2 ft longer.   Otherwise there is no way you could use that truck for grocery shopping in "normal" mode.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12523 on: February 24, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »
On truck/SUV talk... I'm planning to do a little remodeling around here this summer and trying to figure out how to get materials moved.  Even though my wife has an SUV, I don't think it will fit the lumber/drywall I need.  Thinking of getting a used trailer.  Or try to borrow a neighbor's (motherf*cker leaves it on the street all the live-long day)

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12524 on: February 24, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »

Lol yeah, I was about to say who swipes anymore. Then I recalled, US banks are a long way behind the times, a result of having no cash to invest in tech.

Cards will disappear soon enough. In the not too distant future, payments through phone apps linked to your credit and debit cards will overtake regular credit card transactions in volume down here.

Looked all over my 3315 and can find nothing that will do anything you just said, maybe CBA or NAB will give me a phone that does these things? or maybe not:(
It is not just US banks that are behind the times.

BarbeRiche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • BarbeRiche
« Reply #12525 on: February 24, 2016, 11:07:08 PM »
My cousin bought a house about a year ago.  They have a spa in the backyard.

It's a pretty nice spa inside a shelter with windows (worth 15-18kcad including the shelter...) that was there when they bought the house.

He told me that the previous owner still has monthly payment for this...!  How crazy is that.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #12526 on: February 24, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »
On truck/SUV talk... I'm planning to do a little remodeling around here this summer and trying to figure out how to get materials moved.  Even though my wife has an SUV, I don't think it will fit the lumber/drywall I need.  Thinking of getting a used trailer.  Or try to borrow a neighbor's (motherf*cker leaves it on the street all the live-long day)

Home Depot rents trucks for $20 for 75 minutes.  You can get flat bed trucks. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12527 on: February 25, 2016, 12:36:21 AM »

True, I guess my point was more the uselessness of the suv since I still have to rent a truck

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12528 on: February 25, 2016, 07:29:20 AM »
One of my favorite moments was at the loading zone of an Ikea a few years ago when we loaded up our 2003 Pontiac Vibe with a queen mattress and bed frame (the back seat folds down flat) and closed the hatchback with no difficulty. The guy on our left had an SUV, couldn't close his and was looking at our tiny car with disbelief and envy.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #12529 on: February 25, 2016, 08:17:15 AM »
One of my favorite moments was at the loading zone of an Ikea a few years ago when we loaded up our 2003 Pontiac Vibe with a queen mattress and bed frame (the back seat folds down flat) and closed the hatchback with no difficulty. The guy on our left had an SUV, couldn't close his and was looking at our tiny car with disbelief and envy.

I get some of those moments with my Scion toaster-mobile. I've found I can fit full length lumber in there if I fold the back seat down and either wedge the lumber at an angle or lay the passenger seat back.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12530 on: February 25, 2016, 08:27:35 AM »

Ha we tried to rent one once, and it had been stolen.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12531 on: February 25, 2016, 08:52:57 AM »

Bought a grill for my Mom from The Home Depot.

I took my '94 Civic hatchback and when I pulled up to the loading area the employee was not happy about it and gave a disgusted type of remark "Is this even going to fit in there??"  ... I just ignored him, folded down the seats, and loaded the grill... He was quite impressed once it was actually in.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #12532 on: February 25, 2016, 10:22:15 AM »
My cousin bought a house about a year ago.  They have a spa in the backyard.

It's a pretty nice spa inside a shelter with windows (worth 15-18kcad including the shelter...) that was there when they bought the house.

He told me that the previous owner still has monthly payment for this...!  How crazy is that.

So does that mean that if the previous owner does pay then the spa that came with the house gets repo-ed??  I hope they had something in their contract about that contingency.  I cant imagine being cool with them not paying it off with the money from the sale of the house.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12533 on: February 25, 2016, 10:25:43 AM »

I took my '94 Civic hatchback and when I pulled up to the loading area the employee was not happy about it and gave a disgusted type of remark "Is this even going to fit in there??"  ... I just ignored him, folded down the seats, and loaded the grill... He was quite impressed once it was actually in.
I played a lot of video games in college and my old tv crapped out one day, so after a little bit of research my girlfriend-now-wife and I found a 47" LG for 75% off at a store. Went to get it in my 02 cavalier. The box was too wide to fit through the opening from the trunk if we laid the back seat down, so we sat it up on the floor in the back and drove home with our seats all the way forward. The guy that helped us get it to the car was astonished that we fit such a large tv into such a tiny car. Those skills came in handy when I found myself working at best buy a couple years later and had to help customers do roughly the same thing on a daily basis.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12534 on: February 25, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »

I bought a grill for myself in August. Spent like 30 minutes trying to fit it in my Camry, had to open the box and put it in piece by piece while people gawked at me in between walking in the parking lot. Finally got everything in, but was worried that I was missing a piece or two.

LovesToTravel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12535 on: February 25, 2016, 12:04:54 PM »
A female coworker recently got engaged, so of course everyone starts in with the unsolicited advice.

One guy launches in with his opinion on the three things one should spend their money on when planning a wedding:
  • Photography <Note, I don't totally disagree with this; this was the most important aspect for me when planning a wedding, and I was more than happy to save in other non-memorable areas to have quality photos to remember the day for years to come>
  • Food <Eh, whatever...no one actually remembers the food unless it was truly horrible or there was not enough, but it was on his list.>
  • And the real winner, and inspiration for this post........drumroll..........the ring..."so if you ever fall on hard times, you can sell it".  WHAT!?  ::facepalm::

Blows my mind.  Yes, let's buy a too-expensive ring today just in case we need some cash one day down the line.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:49:00 AM by LovesToTravel »

LovesToTravel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12536 on: February 25, 2016, 12:18:59 PM »
Yeah... I mean you can sell it 10 years from now for $0.20 on the dollar as bullion. Makes good sense to me.

Yes...clearly he doesn't realize that diamond rings aren't exactly an appreciating asset...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12537 on: February 25, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »

Blows my mind.  Yes, let's buy a too-expensive ring today just in case we need some cash one day down the line.

Crazy how many people do this or think this is rational, but gotta remember that there's a good chance that he's someone that spends money as soon as he gets it, so for him buying something expensive that can hold it's value might be considered a smart play. That said, I have no idea how good the secondary market is for diamond rings, I suspect that they aren't all that good.

jordanread

« Reply #12538 on: February 25, 2016, 12:22:52 PM »

Crazy how many people do this or think this is rational, but gotta remember that there's a good chance that he's someone that spends money as soon as he gets it, so for him buying something expensive that can hold it's value might be considered a smart play. That said, I have no idea how good the secondary market is for diamond rings, I suspect that they aren't all that good.

This is too perfect of an opportunity. I must post this:

https://youtu.be/N5kWu1ifBGU

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12539 on: February 25, 2016, 12:29:46 PM »
One of the favored raffle around here prizes is use of a reserved space.  I don't walk fast at all, but even my turtle ass can make it from the far end of the back parking lot to the building in three minutes.

Same at my company (that's a raffle I don't care to win). I'm all about automatic exercise to add to my day, so I always park at the back of my lot.

Weirdly, my company gym had a "wellness raffle" and one of the prizes was a parking spot right by the door.

I think they're doing it wrong.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12540 on: February 25, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »

+1

LovesToTravel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12541 on: February 25, 2016, 12:39:47 PM »

Yep!   It's true...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12542 on: February 25, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »

+1

Yeah, a good of mine is engaged and I was talking to her fiance (who I'm also friends with, but not as close as I am with her) and he mentioned how he never wanted to spend the money on a diamond ring cause he thinks it's a waste, but he changed his mind when he fell in love with her. He's starting to freak out about the cost of the wedding..., thankfully he's not going to have an open bar.

greytbigdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12543 on: February 25, 2016, 12:44:13 PM »
Yeah... I mean you can sell it 10 years from now for $0.20 on the dollar as bullion. Makes good sense to me.

Yes...clearly he doesn't realize that diamond rings aren't exactly an appreciating asset...

I have a family member that does this.  He's on disability, but works occasionally as a security guard at a jewelry store.  He spends all his wages + more on jewelry for his wife.  Because it's an "investment".  Meanwhile his wife is trying to work as much as she can so they can eventually retire.  She is always complaining about not having enough money and being too tired for her job, but won't ask/tell him to stop buying.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12544 on: February 25, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12545 on: February 26, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »

And for once, I didn't hate myself for reading the comments.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:51:45 AM by antarestar »

jordanread

« Reply #12546 on: February 26, 2016, 07:51:20 AM »

And for once, I didn't hate myself for reading the comments.

I actually went back and read some of them after your comment. This one caught my eye because it's almost Mustachian.

How about:  "Dear, will you marry a man intelligent enough NOT to waste money on a diamond, but instead will sock the same amount of money into a money market certificate based on a continuous yield interest rate, and won't touch it until we're 65, at which point it will have tripled or quadrupled in value, and you can do whatever you want with it... buy only if we're still married."

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12547 on: February 26, 2016, 10:30:31 AM »
I actually went back and read some of them after your comment. This one caught my eye because it's almost Mustachian.

How about:  "Dear, will you marry a man intelligent enough NOT to waste money on a diamond, but instead will sock the same amount of money into a money market certificate based on a continuous yield interest rate, and won't touch it until we're 65, at which point it will have tripled or quadrupled in value, and you can do whatever you want with it... buy only if we're still married."

You had me until "money market". My savings account pays better than my 401(k)'s money market option, plus it's insured.

But there was a time not so long ago that money market accounts had a reliable 5-7% interest rate. Good times.

jordanread

« Reply #12548 on: February 26, 2016, 10:32:13 AM »

You had me until "money market". My savings account pays better than my 401(k)'s money market option, plus it's insured.

But there was a time not so long ago that money market accounts had a reliable 5-7% interest rate. Good times.
Yeah, that's why I said almost.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #12549 on: February 26, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »

In 2008 money market accounts got given a colossal government guarantee that their value would not fall below $1/share in order to stem the tide of panic withdrawals.

Precedent is set.