Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253095 times)

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5950 on: December 17, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »
Is the co-working thinking of flipping?  Buying a multifamily for rental doesn't sound like such a bad strategy.  Holding property in Dubai seems weird if you live in Florida, though.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5951 on: December 17, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »
Is the co-working thinking of flipping?  Buying a multifamily for rental doesn't sound like such a bad strategy.  Holding property in Dubai seems weird if you live in Florida, though.

He's not sure. His story changes every time we talk: flipping, landlording, buying cash vs loan. Methinks Dubai was a condo he lived in when he worked there, but info from him is sketchy and sparse, not that I give a rat's ass.

He doesn't have any RE investing experience, but has been talking about this for 1+ year. Told him he can flip but start small and learn. But big boy wanna go big time first time, I guess after going to one-too-many BiggerPockets local meetups. That's a yarn for another time. Oh well... his money can go wherever he decides.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #5952 on: December 17, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »
Ok, so this person is not a coworker of mine, but a member of a group I attend regularly.

Them:  Honestly one of the smartest things I've heard of doing when you have an extra $50 is to buy a $50 grocery store gift card.  If, when you're going paycheck to paycheck, you have some extra cash on hand, it's a great idea.  Then you won't starve when you're strapped for cash.
Me (could not keep my mouth shut):  No, that is a ridiculous idea.  $50 as a specific grocery store gift card is much less useful than just having $50 to spend where you need it.
Them:  [changes topic]
Me:  :/

Me just now:  Maybe I was too harsh?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5953 on: December 17, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »

Here's my early retirement elevator pitch:

How much are you saving for retirement?  For most people, every extra 1% they save cuts about two years off of their working career.  Would you take a 1% pay cut to get a two year paid vacation?

"Oh, I'd love to, but I need all my cash to pay my bills."

How about a ten percent pay cut to get a twenty year paid vacation?

"LOL, you kidder. I'll never be able to retire. So, about my new iPhone family plan . . ."

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5954 on: December 17, 2014, 05:14:36 PM »
Ok, so this person is not a coworker of mine, but a member of a group I attend regularly.

Them:  Honestly one of the smartest things I've heard of doing when you have an extra $50 is to buy a $50 grocery store gift card.  If, when you're going paycheck to paycheck, you have some extra cash on hand, it's a great idea.  Then you won't starve when you're strapped for cash.
Me (could not keep my mouth shut):  No, that is a ridiculous idea.  $50 as a specific grocery store gift card is much less useful than just having $50 to spend where you need it.

For people who always spend their whole paycheck or never know where their money goes, it's a method of forced savings--putting $50 aside in a form that they won't just blow. So it isn't a terrible idea, although a much better idea would be to stop living paycheck to paycheck.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #5955 on: December 17, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »

For people who always spend their whole paycheck or never know where their money goes, it's a method of forced savings--putting $50 aside in a form that they won't just blow. So it isn't a terrible idea, although a much better idea would be to stop living paycheck to paycheck.

I completely agree.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #5956 on: December 17, 2014, 08:14:04 PM »
You are correct.  Check out the link below that explains it briefly.

Yes, you and others are correct. Unfortunately, I don't believe I qualify for the safe harbor, as my 2014 estimated taxes paid were lower than my 2013 taxes owed (I based the 2014 estimates on the premise that I would be receiving premium assistance for the full year). Also, the 2014 forms for the advance premium tax credit aren't finalized yet, so it's difficult to estimate how much I might owe.

It is also correct that I could have increased withholding for the last 1-2 pay periods of the year to eliminate any potential penalty. Again, the forms aren't finalized, so I can't be sure I would need to do that. I did pay some estimated taxes this year, so the penalty shouldn't be significant. I'll let the chips fall where they may and try not to be a complainypants about it. At any rate, it shouldn't be a problem in 2015.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #5957 on: December 17, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
I hate macs.  PCs are superior in my opinion, I just hate MS and the way they operate and constantly force unnecessary upgrades into their OS and office.

I like my Macs and my iPad (and also my Android phone), but in my IT work, I see people chugging along on Windows XP and Office 2000/2003 quite frequently. Actually, I think the newer versions of Office with the ribbon are extremely annoying (although we use those at my current workplace). If you install the converter pack (and the security update for the converter pack, ugh...), those older versions of Office seem to work okay with the newer .docx/.xlsx/.pptx XML files. That said, when I install a newer version of Office, I typically change the settings so that it saves in the older format by default, for compatibility reasons.

Windows 7 was the last "good" release of Windows. Windows 8 is annoying. Vista was annoying. Before XP, Windows ME was annoying. It's like every other release of Windows is awful.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #5958 on: December 17, 2014, 08:59:35 PM »
I have a older coworker who changed her hours to part-time. We have a lot of processes with lots of people involved from beginning to end, and this coworker is at the end of it, so any mistakes made earlier usually land on her and she has to research, call, email, confront, beg, etc to get things fixed before she can actually do her job.

She doesn't "act" busy (as discussed on another forum topic), she is genuinely working hard the whole day. She is a perfectionist and takes things to heart way too often. I brought her some more paperwork during an especially busy time and almost brought her to tears placing it on her desk.

At least once a week she says "I'm going to get fired over this"(for something she can't fix), or when she's frustrated off-handedly says that she's going to quit.  She never does.

But what kills me is that she can!

Her husband works and makes much more than she does. They don't NEED her income for anything! Not even to pay for unnecessary status-consumption!

Even worse, her husband doesn't actually need to work either! He qualifies already for his company's retirement package. They could retire RIGHT NOW.

I just don't get it. The job sucks. And yet she lets a new manager come in and tell her she needs to go back to full-time. She should be writing a story on the "Epic FU Stories" thread but sadly, she may be here until she dies.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5959 on: December 18, 2014, 02:28:46 AM »
Windows 7 was the last "good" release of Windows. Windows 8 is annoying. Vista was annoying. Before XP, Windows ME was annoying. It's like every other release of Windows is awful.

Of course that is so. In one version they change something bigger (because you have to change something if you want to sell a new software) and the next version they fix all the BS they produced the version before. Then they again change something. And so on.
Like Intels tick-tack: smaller CPU-process, then make it better, smaller process, make it better...

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #5960 on: December 18, 2014, 03:05:00 AM »
Of course that math only works for people who currently have very low savings rates, which is most people.  If they're already saving 50% then each additional 1% is only worth about six months.

Yeah, but it's a fun challenge to try to save more money in this manner. It's just like what happens to successful and wealthy RE players--they don't need to make more millions, they do it because it's fun and a challenge.

I'm listing to some coworkers right now talk about fancy restaurants and their discussing what they paid.

Employee1:  I looked at the menu and saw wine paring for $220 and thought well sure for $20 bucks more we can have some wine with our meals.  But then when I got the check it was $220 just for the wine pairing and did not include the $200 meal.

Employee2:  For two people at French Laundry, without wine it was about $750.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-french-laundry-yountville-2

I eating my non-fancy mixed nuts and almost chocked on an almond when I heard that one meal for two cost half my rent or food for a month for a family of 4.

That's impressive. We are having trouble justifying a Sunday brunch which is ~$35 a person (includes crab, so it's not that exorbitant, just way more than I'm used to spending on a brunch). Just thinking of spending that much blows my mind.

See, if I wanted to eat fancy and expensive French food, I'd make it myself. It'd be a learning experience, and while it might not be quite as good as what a professional chef can do, it'd be pretty good, and I'd have the foundation (skills, tools) to do it a lot better the next time around.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5961 on: December 18, 2014, 05:25:34 AM »
Of course that math only works for people who currently have very low savings rates, which is most people.  If they're already saving 50% then each additional 1% is only worth about six months.

Yeah, but it's a fun challenge to try to save more money in this manner. It's just like what happens to successful and wealthy RE players--they don't need to make more millions, they do it because it's fun and a challenge.

I'm listing to some coworkers right now talk about fancy restaurants and their discussing what they paid.

Employee1:  I looked at the menu and saw wine paring for $220 and thought well sure for $20 bucks more we can have some wine with our meals.  But then when I got the check it was $220 just for the wine pairing and did not include the $200 meal.

Employee2:  For two people at French Laundry, without wine it was about $750.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-french-laundry-yountville-2

I eating my non-fancy mixed nuts and almost chocked on an almond when I heard that one meal for two cost half my rent or food for a month for a family of 4.

That's impressive. We are having trouble justifying a Sunday brunch which is ~$35 a person (includes crab, so it's not that exorbitant, just way more than I'm used to spending on a brunch). Just thinking of spending that much blows my mind.

See, if I wanted to eat fancy and expensive French food, I'd make it myself. It'd be a learning experience, and while it might not be quite as good as what a professional chef can do, it'd be pretty good, and I'd have the foundation (skills, tools) to do it a lot better the next time around.

I'd go to France (or Quebec since it's closer and similar enough to me).

I've gotten so accustomed to seeing people go out to eat at work. It makes me cry to see the $200 wasted between everyone every day. I'd totally cater for that money if they paid me (or more likely my SO). I may be converting a couple of people to the mustachian ways (or at least open their eyes to how big sukkas they are). One person is investing on top of frugality, another has been asking me about frugality! Still, I'm the only person who brings their food in every day...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5962 on: December 18, 2014, 06:42:54 AM »
A friend of mine's father bought a Tesla.  He's 87.  Financially, it's a "why not" for him, and when he passes it down a generation, it'll probably be pretty low mileage!

My friend's husband helped him "program" the darn thing.  Apparently there are pages of options, including a "creep" mode to get into the garage without ramming the back wall.  And what happens when they update the OS?

Hopefully they don't take the MS approach.  We know your car was functioning just fine, but we totally changed the OS and it's not compatible with your current car.  Also you owe us more money.  Also we arbitrarily changed the location of every setting you have memorized, even though it offers no advantage to do so, and no you don't have the option to customize it like it was before.  Also we added tons of bugs to make it significantly less stable.  We found 1 security hole too, so instead of fixing it we changed the whole OS to one with 10 security holes.  Also you owe us more money.

LOL, as someone who used excel a lot from 1997 till now, I HATED the update to the interface. But man, as I use it more and more, I love it. So many options are much easier to get at once you know where they're at. It's just hard for me since I have ~15 years of re-programming to do.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5963 on: December 18, 2014, 06:53:21 AM »

I don't think it's a ridiculous idea. A lot of people have a harder time spending well (for me it's eating well), so we set up rules/situations to force ourselves into doing it the way we want to in the future. So this helps them avoid blowing the money on other stuff, similar to how I avoid buying unhealthy foods in the grocery store so I don't have them as an option at home when I'm in a poor willpower state.

Now, you could probably make an optimization point around the fact that they can't do a lot of price comparison though.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5964 on: December 18, 2014, 06:55:33 AM »
I hate macs.  PCs are superior in my opinion, I just hate MS and the way they operate and constantly force unnecessary upgrades into their OS and office.

I like my Macs and my iPad (and also my Android phone), but in my IT work, I see people chugging along on Windows XP and Office 2000/2003 quite frequently. Actually, I think the newer versions of Office with the ribbon are extremely annoying (although we use those at my current workplace). If you install the converter pack (and the security update for the converter pack, ugh...), those older versions of Office seem to work okay with the newer .docx/.xlsx/.pptx XML files. That said, when I install a newer version of Office, I typically change the settings so that it saves in the older format by default, for compatibility reasons.

I'm not in IT, but Vista and 8 seemed to both be pretty bad upon release, but with regular updates have gotten back up to snuff. I have 8 on my laptop, and I've made it look like 7/XP as much as possible. The funniest part for me about all of this is that I love the old school Win95 gray colors, and I always get my system to look like that.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5965 on: December 18, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »
LOL, as someone who used excel a lot from 1997 till now, I HATED the update to the interface. But man, as I use it more and more, I love it. So many options are much easier to get at once you know where they're at. It's just hard for me since I have ~15 years of re-programming to do.

Any significant interface change is going to do that. I don't know how many forum readers are Linux users, but I went through the same thing when GNOME 3 was released; the entire desktop interface changed from the previous version. I hated it for a couple of weeks until all of my old muscle memory could be replaced.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5966 on: December 18, 2014, 07:22:08 AM »

I still use office 2003.  And office 2007.  And office 2010.  It's annoying as hell that they redesign the interface every time.  I have no compatibility issues, and as far as I can tell the math and english language haven't changed, and they haven't added any practical functions, just shuffled it around to give me a headache and make themselves more money.  Windows 7 is stable, but it's a god damn nightmare as far as networking goes.  It's supposed to be better than xp, and it has great features - if they worked like they were supposed to.  But they don't. 

Vista was a turd.  Windows ME was an embarrassment and I can't believe they even released it.  Whatever greedy asshole decided that should be taken out back and shot. 

MS approach seems to be:

It's broken and doesn't function like it's supposed to? LOL try to find a work around on your own, we are too busy designing the next inferior OS that we want you to buy.

Oh we finally got something right and it functions great?  LOL here buy this new turd of an OS and pay us money.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5967 on: December 18, 2014, 07:32:06 AM »

I'm not in IT, but Vista and 8 seemed to both be pretty bad upon release, but with regular updates have gotten back up to snuff. I have 8 on my laptop, and I've made it look like 7/XP as much as possible. The funniest part for me about all of this is that I love the old school Win95 gray colors, and I always get my system to look like that.

I'm with you, minus the making it look like older versions part. When I want to launch something I just press Windows key, type the first few letters of what I want, Enter. Plus, 8 is noticeably faster for me. I don't quite understand the Windows 8 hate.

I think a lot of people are resistant to change.  I spent a lot of time on an OS, learned how to get it to do exactly what I want, and I am totally happy with how it functions and my interaction with it.  Then BAM MS flips it on it's ear and wants me to learn a new OS.  That's at least why I hate windows 8.  I learned everything about windows xp and was not limited in anyway, and I held on until they stopped supporting it and selling it.  When I needed to upgrade I got a pc with windows 7, and learned all the quirks of that OS and now know how to get it to do everything I want.  I don't want or need windows 8, and I see absolutely no benefits or improvements, just a new OS I need to learn.  At least windows 8 doesn't seem unstable like ME and vista were.  But still i'd rather not waste my time relearning how to do things I already know how to do for no apparent benefit.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5968 on: December 18, 2014, 07:58:33 AM »

Any significant interface change is going to do that. I don't know how many forum readers are Linux users, but I went through the same thing when GNOME 3 was released; the entire desktop interface changed from the previous version. I hated it for a couple of weeks until all of my old muscle memory could be replaced.

Maybe I'm weird but I loved the change. I even like Unity! I would prefer that they quit bloating things, though, that 3D shit was just unnecessary. Don't like Mint, though, just installed it on my brother's laptop and it was an 8 hour ordeal to get xorg.conf, the wireless mouse, and the dual monitor thing is buggy (mdm.conf is poorly documented as far as I can tell.)

Does anyone else hate Mint.com's new look? What an eyesore!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5969 on: December 18, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »
I still use office 2003.  And office 2007.  And office 2010.  It's annoying as hell that they redesign the interface every time.  I have no compatibility issues, and as far as I can tell the math and english language haven't changed, and they haven't added any practical functions, just shuffled it around to give me a headache and make themselves more money.

I think that the ribbon is really handy and if you hadn't learned it a different way, you'd be fine with it. They've integrated the ribbon idea into a ton of products, even SharePoint.

And their graphs/charts/pivottable stuff is awesome. Again, totally different, but so many of the items that I used to have to click through about 6 menus are right on the ribbon now.

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #5970 on: December 18, 2014, 08:42:13 AM »
I have a older coworker who changed her hours to part-time. We have a lot of processes with lots of people involved from beginning to end, and this coworker is at the end of it, so any mistakes made earlier usually land on her and she has to research, call, email, confront, beg, etc to get things fixed before she can actually do her job.

She doesn't "act" busy (as discussed on another forum topic), she is genuinely working hard the whole day. She is a perfectionist and takes things to heart way too often. I brought her some more paperwork during an especially busy time and almost brought her to tears placing it on her desk.

At least once a week she says "I'm going to get fired over this"(for something she can't fix), or when she's frustrated off-handedly says that she's going to quit.  She never does.

But what kills me is that she can!

Her husband works and makes much more than she does. They don't NEED her income for anything! Not even to pay for unnecessary status-consumption!

Even worse, her husband doesn't actually need to work either! He qualifies already for his company's retirement package. They could retire RIGHT NOW.

I just don't get it. The job sucks. And yet she lets a new manager come in and tell her she needs to go back to full-time. She should be writing a story on the "Epic FU Stories" thread but sadly, she may be here until she dies.

(Note:  I have carefully placed my comment outside the quote, so if it appears inside, I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong.)

Have you told her this?  Are you sure she doesn't have "hidden" obligations (grandchildren depending on her, etc.) that you don't know about?  You don't have to quiz her or be inappropriate, but  have you asked her something like "It seems like this job is really hard on you-- I get the impression that you don't need it for the money.  What's keeping you from walking out the door?"  And then if she says that she could but she doesn't want to, just remind her that if she knows she doesn't need the job, she is in a position of power. 

I call it the "one bad day" club.  I'm more-or-less in it at this point (except-- and it's a powerful exception-- I need the excellent health insurance provided by my employer), and it's a comfort to know that I could walk away any day, if things get to be too much.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5971 on: December 18, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »

Maybe I'm weird but I loved the change. I even like Unity! I would prefer that they quit bloating things, though, that 3D shit was just unnecessary. Don't like Mint, though, just installed it on my brother's laptop and it was an 8 hour ordeal to get xorg.conf, the wireless mouse, and the dual monitor thing is buggy (mdm.conf is poorly documented as far as I can tell.)

Yes, tried Mint 17.1 MATE and Cinnamon. Horrible. Went back to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #5972 on: December 18, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of the recent mint.com change.  I'll be grumpy and say that the new background is too white.  I also really dislike that you can't log in from the initial site, that you have to click "log in" to get there.

intirb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5973 on: December 18, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »

I had trouble with the dual monitor thing, too, until I switched to the Xfce version of Mint. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5974 on: December 18, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »
The hell? Mint 17 mate looks hardly different from mint 14 mate. Windows 8 is fine once you get over their stupid icon startup crap, and 8.1 is better. Macs work fine. Pretty much any major linux distro works fine, though I'm not a fan of the ubuntu UI. New office works fine, even if sometimes you need to google where options got moved.

Adapt or die, old schmucks. Or go back to full-screen terminal. It works great, why do we need windows? Get a nice ras pi and sit in text mode.

Whine whine whine...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5975 on: December 18, 2014, 12:58:52 PM »
It's not the adapting part everyone hates, it's the unnecessary need to constantly adapt.  I'm all for adapting if it actually improves performance or functionality. Not so much when it doesn't.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5976 on: December 18, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »
The hell? Mint 17 mate looks hardly different from mint 14 mate. Windows 8 is fine once you get over their stupid icon startup crap, and 8.1 is better. Macs work fine. Pretty much any major linux distro works fine, though I'm not a fan of the ubuntu UI. New office works fine, even if sometimes you need to google where options got moved.

Adapt or die, old schmucks. Or go back to full-screen terminal. It works great, why do we need windows? Get a nice ras pi and sit in text mode.

Whine whine whine...

As much as I prefer working in a terminal to clicking about sometimes useless menus, I think we all know the advantages of a good GUI.

It's not the look I hate about mint (though I do have other personal preferences, LXDE tickles my own fancy) it is the hours I spent editing config files to get his peripherals working. That bug with the dual monitors is stupid, has been around for years. - mdm.conf was nowhere near well enough documented. Working to get the right xinput command for his mouse was a big pain too.

It was great until he decided to do something other than open it up and use a web browser.

Change is frequently not well executed. Talk to me about "adapting" to PulseAudio when it first came out! For the most part, though, software gets better (if more bloated) over time, albeit with missteps.

Going way out of bounds for an overheard at work thread, I think. Whatever. [/foams over]

I had trouble with the dual monitor thing, too, until I switched to the Xfce version of Mint. 

Is there a package he can point apt-get towards to automatically set that up on his current install?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5977 on: December 18, 2014, 01:16:07 PM »
One of my coworkers just bought a Tesla. I don't know much about his financial situation, other than that he's an upper-level engineer who probably makes $150-200k, so it's possible this was a well thought out, responsible purchase... but I doubt it.

However, he took us all for short rides around the parking garage today and man, that is the coolest, most futuristic car I've ever seen.
I know the sticker price makes it patently ridiculous to anyone living even remotely MMM-ish, but Tesla gets a pass from me. Their current offerings are but a step toward their well-publicized goal of making electric transportation affordable for the masses within a few years. And the vastly lower cost of operation of even the current high-end cars can actually put TCO below that of average-priced family vehicles within 5 years of purchase. There's an often-cited case study where the Model S came out ahead of a Honda Odyssey that quickly.
Since most of our nation is not going to start biking to work any time soon, I'm all for replacing idling gas-guzzlers with silent, minimally polluting AC induction motors, and I'm not the only one who would consider spending (significantly) more on a car just to be part of making that happen. FIRE is a high priority, but it does get weighed against other things.
At least he's not like my retired NCO friend, who is only still working so he can pay for his $80,000 Audi coupe that gets 14mpg (on a 60-mile RT commute in shitty traffic). For that much money he could at least have an S85 and never buy gas again :P
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:24:13 PM by zephyr911 »

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5978 on: December 18, 2014, 01:20:04 PM »
Oh man, a friend tells me the brand new high-end SUV he picked me up in is (a) leased, (b) gets 17 mpg, and (c) sits in the driveway most of the time because they just got it for loading up and getting out of town on weekends.  In the same conversation, he admits to being $7K in credit card debt, to his live-in girlfriend (with whom he shares the leased SUV) having a shitload of high-interest student loan debt, and to only saving 5% in his company 401k.  I talked to him subtly about various MMM principles, and the following day sent him the MMM "Start Here" page, saying, hey man, this is that shockingly simple math thing I was telling you about . . .

I hope it opens his eyes a bit.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #5979 on: December 18, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »

Whine whine whine...

Given my profession, "sysVinit vs systemd" is something I've actually overheard at work. But it's not really comical in a financial manner.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5980 on: December 18, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
New office works fine, even if sometimes you need to google where options got moved.

Hilarious.  You just said "this company's product works just fine, as long as you use their competitor's product to figure it out." 

[/foams over]

Hardly.  Have you actually been reading this thread?

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5981 on: December 18, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »
[/foams over]

Hardly.  Have you actually been reading this thread?

I have posted embarrassingly often to this thread. Can't say I've read the whole thing, came on board somewhere around page 40.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5982 on: December 18, 2014, 02:00:18 PM »

Yep, it's a smart idea, just like buying a length of cast-iron pipe is a smart idea if you frequently stick your dick in a wood-chipper.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5983 on: December 18, 2014, 02:02:19 PM »
Oh man, a friend tells me the brand new high-end SUV he picked me up in is (a) leased, (b) gets 17 mpg, and (c) sits in the driveway most of the time because they just got it for loading up and getting out of town on weekends.  In the same conversation, he admits to being $7K in credit card debt, to his live-in girlfriend (with whom he shares the leased SUV) having a shitload of high-interest student loan debt, and to only saving 5% in his company 401k.  I talked to him subtly about various MMM principles, and the following day sent him the MMM "Start Here" page, saying, hey man, this is that shockingly simple math thing I was telling you about . . .

I hope it opens his eyes a bit.
I typed up an email to a coworker last week with the start here link and the shockingly simple math link.  Ultimately I decided she was not worthy so I deleted it.  The search continues.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5984 on: December 18, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »
I call it the "one bad day" club.  I'm more-or-less in it at this point (except-- and it's a powerful exception-- I need the excellent health insurance provided by my employer), and it's a comfort to know that I could walk away any day, if things get to be too much.

I'm also in the "one bad day" club. I'm not FI yet, but I'm finally in a position where if I decided to quit on the spot, We'd make it all right. My current supervisor is bad enough that I expect that day sooner than later.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5985 on: December 18, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
I co-founded a 3-member LLC in April to buy rental property. Partner #2 is an awesome guy but behind the saving curve - he and DW surely clear at least 200k but nice things eat nearly all of it (in AL... somehow). I've accumulated a pile of miscellaneous $5 and $10 receipts for rental supplies, and after a $97 recore job this week, I mentioned I was adding it all up to pull a payment (thinking, maximize LLC deductions for the tax year).
Response: "Oh, for Christmas, right?"
I hadn't even budgeted for the income - just been too damn busy to work it into my projections. Oddly though, the $200 or so in question pretty much covers our holiday season expenses.
BTW, since I just started posting after a long lurk... I'm a recovering compulsive spender, and this site is the best damn thing to happen to me all year. I'm surrounded by candidates for this thread and looking forward to many more bouts of hilarity.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5986 on: December 18, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »
I co-founded a 3-member LLC in April to buy rental property. Partner #2 is an awesome guy but behind the saving curve - he and DW surely clear at least 200k but nice things eat nearly all of it (in AL... somehow). I've accumulated a pile of miscellaneous $5 and $10 receipts for rental supplies, and after a $97 recore job this week, I mentioned I was adding it all up to pull a payment (thinking, maximize LLC deductions for the tax year).
Response: "Oh, for Christmas, right?"
I hadn't even budgeted for the income - just been too damn busy to work it into my projections. Oddly though, the $200 or so in question pretty much covers our holiday season expenses.
BTW, since I just started posting after a long lurk... I'm a recovering compulsive spender, and this site is the best damn thing to happen to me all year. I'm surrounded by candidates for this thread and looking forward to many more bouts of hilarity.

Welcome to the forum. $200 for Christmas is pretty impressive for a newbie.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5987 on: December 18, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »
I've been holding a bunch of these while catching up on reading.
I have a really cool co-worker (he's one of the reasons I'll probably stay at my job a little longer than I need to) who just refinanced his house to pay off his truck and all but $16K of credit card debt. Yeah, that's just what's left. They both work, total probably over 100K and not super-extravagant by most standards, so they aren't struggling (he just reiterated that it's not paycheck-to-paycheck), but I don't think they're saving anything. I may have talked him into sending 5% to TSP (maximize match) when he goes federal next month, but we'll see.
CW drives a lifted Nissan Titan to work, alone, and gives me shit in a good-natured way for not doing the same; his wife has an FJ Cruiser (midsize SUV). 1-2 small kids sometimes ride along. I guess the FJ is getting old (looks fine to me...) because he told me the other day they were thinking about buying a new Tahoe!
After the obligatory facepalm, I pointed out that it was a six-figure lifetime commitment and I think the idea has fallen by the wayside... but gawd...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5988 on: December 18, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum. $200 for Christmas is pretty impressive for a newbie.
Thanks!
I've had years where individual presents to each of my immediate family members ran more than that, but I was bored, lonely, and making six figures in a cheap town. Really, my family did a lot to start me out on the right foot... we're all pretty reasonable and good at math.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5989 on: December 18, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »

Yep, it's a smart idea, just like buying a length of cast-iron pipe is a smart idea if you frequently stick your dick in a wood-chipper.

Really, I don't see how waiving an iron pipe in your left hand prevents the on-going wood-chipper safety issue...   /sarcasm.

Buying a grocery card is almost identical to advice to putting the $50 onto your debt.... especially for those people in bankruptcy or with credit issues, that have no outstanding debt, and no credit room, but live paycheck to paycheck.  The original advice was to sock it away against your future needs, so you don't spend it on consumerist items...
Could be worse.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:01:27 PM by goldielocks »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5990 on: December 18, 2014, 04:09:36 PM »
To multiple people in the last dozen posts: Mint.com is different from the Linux Mint Distribution.  That might clear up some of your confusion.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5991 on: December 18, 2014, 04:48:22 PM »
To multiple people in the last dozen posts: Mint.com is different from the Linux Mint Distribution.  That might clear up some of your confusion.  :)

Really rebs?  Way to ruin the joke.

Skunk started out obviously juxtaposing the two, and everyone else seemed to follow suit by studiously discussing them separately in the same posts.  I was rather enjoying it, actually.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5992 on: December 18, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »
My bad.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5993 on: December 18, 2014, 05:48:28 PM »

What ever happened to good old version numbers?  You know, so people could immediately identify the newer version?

Pepper Ridge farm remembers.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5994 on: December 18, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »
What ever happened to good old version numbers?  You know, so people could immediately identify the newer version?

Were you around for any of the epic "Why should I run Linux kernel 2.2.x when 2.3 exists?" conversations back in the day?

Version numbers have juuuuust enough strange use cases to make them unreliable without additional research.

Apologies for the foamy contribution.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5995 on: December 18, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »
Don't even get me started on gcc version numbers...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5996 on: December 18, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »

Were you around for any of the epic "Why should I run Linux kernel 2.2.x when 2.3 exists?" conversations back in the day?

Version numbers have juuuuust enough strange use cases to make them unreliable without additional research.

Apologies for the foamy contribution.

No I don't run Linux because it's crap.  Solaris 4lyfe!  I mean open Solaris.  I mean open Indiana... Oh nevermind

space

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5997 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:02 PM »
No I don't run Linux because it's crap.  Solaris 4lyfe!  I mean open Solaris.  I mean open Indiana... Oh nevermind

Oracle now releases a version of Solaris 11 that's actually free for personal use at least, though it's not open source.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5998 on: December 19, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »

great fkng line, and I'm totally stealing it for future use!

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #5999 on: December 19, 2014, 08:27:25 AM »

great fkng line, and I'm totally stealing it for future use!

This line is so fkng great indeed!

But I rushed to buy a cast-iron pipe just in case of my dick get stuck anywhere :/