Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252768 times)

bb11

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13400 on: June 03, 2016, 10:02:53 AM »
Coworker who is constantly spending lavishly on himself while making fun of me (not in a cruel way) for being frugal; in his mid-30's with very little saved despite making near $100k for years:

"I promise you in 10 years you'll have outgrown your frugality."

I don't even know what to say.

My wife tells me that I have a particular way of saying "OK" that somehow conveys my disdain and disgust with the question/statement being uttered and with the person who spoke it for wasting my time (personally I think she reads too much into it, I think I'm just doing a blank stare non-committal generic "OK").  You should develop something similar for these situations.

I'm pretty sure what I actually did was slowly shake my head at him and call him ridiculous.

We both makes jokes about each other's spending, so it's not a comment I get mad at. We've talked about finances a decent amount and he knows my strategy. What is amazing to me is that he truly thinks his way is right, and that frugality is just some remnant of my youthful naivete that I will mature out of into a good consumer.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #13401 on: June 03, 2016, 11:18:35 AM »
Not really an overheard, but rather an overseen:

My colleague mentioned that she is working on paying off her credit card that she racked up while working as a freelancer (good for her for working on paying it back!).

She just left the office only to come back with a Starbucks cup from across the street.

We have a free coffee machine in the office.

I'm confused.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13402 on: June 03, 2016, 11:22:20 AM »

My colleague mentioned that she is working on paying off her credit card that she racked up while working as a freelancer (good for her for working on paying it back!).

She just left the office only to come back with a Starbucks cup from across the street.

I'm confused.
Talk is cheap. Or free. Or she is a BS Artist.
Delayed gratification is lacking in your co-worker. Now for $$, instead of later for $0.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13403 on: June 03, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »

I'm confused.
Talk is cheap. Or free. Or she is a BS Artist.
Delayed gratification is lacking in your co-worker. Now for $$, instead of later for $0.

Or she worked Starbucks into her budget.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13404 on: June 03, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »
Coworker who is constantly spending lavishly on himself while making fun of me (not in a cruel way) for being frugal; in his mid-30's with very little saved despite making near $100k for years:

We both makes jokes about each other's spending, so it's not a comment I get mad at. We've talked about finances a decent amount and he knows my strategy. What is amazing to me is that he truly thinks his way is right, and that frugality is just some remnant of my youthful naivete that I will mature out of into a good consumer.

I'm amazed.  He knows your strategy--does he disagree that mathematically it is INEVITABLE that you will be ready to retire way before he is?  If so, what does he mean by "his way is right"?  Does he mean that spending is more virtuous than being frugal, because it drives the economy or something?  Does he think that it's objectively true that happiness comes from spending, and you're just delusional about being happy with low spending but some day you'll realize that and start spending more and become truly happy?  (But you'll still be way ahead of him in savings!)
As I said, I'm amazed.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13405 on: June 03, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »

I'm amazed.  He knows your strategy--does he disagree that mathematically it is INEVITABLE that you will be ready to retire way before he is?  If so, what does he mean by "his way is right"?  Does he mean that spending is more virtuous than being frugal, because it drives the economy or something?  Does he think that it's objectively true that happiness comes from spending, and you're just delusional about being happy with low spending but some day you'll realize that and start spending more and become truly happy?  (But you'll still be way ahead of him in savings!)
As I said, I'm amazed.

I'm not surprised.  In fact I assume this would be the reaction of most people.  I assume he means that eventually you will get tired of "depriving" yourself and discover the joys of "living life", or "real life" will catch up to you and you'll be spending more etc.  These are all assumptions I'm sure we've all encountered.  These are assumptions that are ingrained in our society.

As an example try telling the average person that you're not "depriving" yourself if you don't have cable, or Starbucks or whatever.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13406 on: June 03, 2016, 04:14:43 PM »

Tell him you know me, the wife and I have been frugal for 34 years, we have 38 times our yearly spending,
and we have not outgrown being frugal.
 But, he could be right, I'm retiring at the end of the year, Maybe then I'll out grow frugality.
Nah!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13407 on: June 03, 2016, 04:26:12 PM »

My wife tells me that I have a particular way of saying "OK" that somehow conveys my disdain and disgust with the question/statement being uttered and with the person who spoke it for wasting my time (personally I think she reads too much into it, I think I'm just doing a blank stare non-committal generic "OK").  You should develop something similar for these situations.

I'm pretty sure what I actually did was slowly shake my head at him and call him ridiculous.

"Well if I'm wrong, I'll have a million bucks to spend. If you're wrong, you'll be broke."

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #13408 on: June 03, 2016, 06:58:41 PM »
/\ Priceless!!!!!!

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13409 on: June 03, 2016, 07:26:03 PM »

As I said, I'm amazed.

I'm not surprised.  In fact I assume this would be the reaction of most people.  I assume he means that eventually you will get tired of "depriving" yourself and discover the joys of "living life", or "real life" will catch up to you and you'll be spending more etc.  These are all assumptions I'm sure we've all encountered.  These are assumptions that are ingrained in our society.

As an example try telling the average person that you're not "depriving" yourself if you don't have cable, or Starbucks or whatever.
+1.  It's all about belief systems and priorities.  Just like people shaking their heads at each other for different religious beliefs.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13410 on: June 04, 2016, 01:16:56 AM »

As I said, I'm amazed.

+1.  It's all about belief systems and priorities.  Just like people shaking their heads at each other for different religious beliefs.
Like calling the god that says you should kill all non-belivers Allah, Jahve or Jesus Christ?
No, I think its different. Because science cant prove that a God does not exist per definition. But science has proved on and on that spending does not make you happy. Hedonic Adaption and peer pressure are the (bad) keys.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #13411 on: June 04, 2016, 08:36:41 AM »
In my first 'real job' after a LOT of school, my coworkers were encouraging me to buy a fancy new car. My old car went on hospice and did eventually die. They were soooooooo disappointed and full of ridicule when I chose a Toyota!

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13412 on: June 04, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »
Sorry for the quick tangent, but is there a specific reason why so menu people on this forum quote without snipping away at least some of the prior messages?
We often end up with monster posts with 7-8 posts quoted and a single added line, one right after the other.

It makes the forum almost illegible

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13413 on: June 04, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »
SNIP

Menu of us are on mobile, which makes it a lot harder to edit the quotes.  But in huge threads, you pretty much have to quote to provide context as there can be 4-5 separate discussions going on at the same time

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13414 on: June 04, 2016, 07:14:25 PM »
Sorry for the quick tangent, but is there a specific reason why so menu people on this forum quote without snipping away at least some of the prior messages?
We often end up with monster posts with 7-8 posts quoted and a single added line, one right after the other.

It makes the forum almost illegible
Dragoncar makes a good point about mobile users.  FWIW, I snip out the quite train when I quote...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13415 on: June 04, 2016, 08:33:39 PM »
I usually try to trim down to the relevant part of the post when quoting. It's a pain in the ass on a tablet! If there is more than one section I am responding to, I don't trim since I think it starts to skew the interpretation of the original post.

I haven't figured out how to collate several comments from different users into one response, at least not on a tablet!

I hear what you are saying, but once you get a growing subthread, it is usually easy to just read the last response. More confusing when someone revives something weeks or months later.

Any idea how to make all thus easier and clearer?

Failed snipping attempts are also the cause of broken quotes, which are way worse than long quotes

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #13416 on: June 04, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »

I usually try to trim down to the relevant part of the post when quoting. It's a pain in the ass on a tablet! If there is more than one section I am responding to, I don't trim since I think it starts to skew the interpretation of the original post.

Failed snipping attempts are also the cause of broken quotes, which are way worse than long quotes
[/quote]

Agreed!

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
Overheard at Work
« Reply #13417 on: June 05, 2016, 01:16:47 AM »

I haven't figured out how to collate several comments from different users into one response, at least not on a tablet!

I hear what you are saying, but once you get a growing subthread, it is usually easy to just read the last response. More confusing when someone revives something weeks or months later.

Sometimes you need to monster quote, but what I'm talking about is the succession of 4-5 (sometimes more) monster quotes.
People do it because they're lazy and don't want to snip (I agree on a tablet or phone it's a pain!), but it's a matter of Internet etiquette in my opinion.
Using tapatalk (a free app) makes things considerably easier, especially on a phone.
To multi quote, tap on a person's post, select "more", then "multi quote".
Now tap on all the other posts you want to quote, and finish by tapping the message icon in the top right corner to go write the multi quoted post.

There's always the edit function.
Not fixing broken quotes within a monster quote is peak rudeness on a forum.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13418 on: June 05, 2016, 01:38:54 AM »

Sometimes you need to monster quote, but what I'm talking about is the succession of 4-5 (sometimes more) monster quotes.
People do it because they're lazy and don't want to snip (I agree on a tablet or phone it's a pain!), but it's a matter of Internet etiquette in my opinion.
Using tapatalk (a free app) makes things considerably easier, especially on a phone.
Now tap on all the other posts you want to quote, and finish by tapping the message icon in the top right corner to go write the multi quoted post.

It's also really easy to scroll to the bottom of a post and skip the quotes entirely.  Just push the down arrow on your keybaord

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13419 on: June 05, 2016, 01:46:28 AM »
Of course.
It's also not much of an issue to read the post in all caps.
It's also not such an incredible inconvenience to wait 30 mins for the guy who's late.
That doesn't make both things any less rude.

Not a horrible issue obviously, but it's not "my" thing, it's common forum etiquette to do the little effort required to keep the Internet legible.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13420 on: June 05, 2016, 02:03:01 AM »
Until you get that one womble who makes it hard for everyone by inserting their own comment at the top instead of the bottom, and you scroll down to read what they've written and then have to scroll all the way up again...

Simple etiquette and manners really. Like Seppia said.

It's also really easy to scroll to the bottom of a post and skip the quotes entirely.  Just push the down arrow on your keybaord

Of course.
It's also not such an incredible inconvenience to wait 30 mins for the guy who's late.

Not a horrible issue obviously, but it's not "my" thing, it's common forum etiquette to do the little effort required to keep the Internet legible.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #13421 on: June 05, 2016, 02:12:52 AM »
You're really on about that, aren't you Primm? :D

I also feel that one should put ellipses when snipping from posts, but perhaps my primary school English teacher was just old-school...

Until you get that one womble who makes it hard for everyone by inserting their own comment at the top instead of the bottom, and you scroll down to read what they've written and then have to scroll all the way up again...

Not a horrible issue obviously, but it's not "my" thing, it's common forum etiquette to do the little effort required to keep the Internet l

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13422 on: June 05, 2016, 02:16:27 AM »

I also feel that one should put ellipses when snipping from posts, but perhaps my primary school English teacher was just old-school...

Have I mentioned it before? I don't believe so, but I may be wrong. It's been known to happen.

And yeah, old school. Probably didn't like starting sentences with "and" or "or" either. Or incomplete sentences... 

:P

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13423 on: June 05, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »

Of course.

It's also common forum etiquette to defer to those with higher post counts.  And to buy them chocolates every WalrusDay.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #13424 on: June 05, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »
*snip*

It's also common forum etiquette to defer to those with higher post counts.  And to buy them chocolates every WalrusDay.

Okay, everybody, let's not forget that WalrusDay is November 24th, so mark your calendars!  Dragoncar, please post your full mailing address for us to all send you chocolates.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13425 on: June 05, 2016, 09:53:35 PM »

Have I mentioned it before? I don't believe so, but I may be wrong. It's been known to happen.

And yeah, old school. Probably didn't like starting sentences with "and" or "or" either. Or incomplete sentences... 

:P

Perhaps I'm confusing you with some other poster. Please forgive me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13426 on: June 05, 2016, 11:03:06 PM »
*snip*

Okay, everybody, let's not forget that WalrusDay is November 24th, so mark your calendars!  Dragoncar, please post your full mailing address for us to all send you chocolates.

1 Yemen road
Yemen

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13427 on: June 05, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »
*snip*

1 Yemen road
Yemen

Perfect. The U.S. delivers there via Saudi Arabia. Or did, until last week, it seems...

thingamabobs

• Stubble
« Reply #13428 on: June 05, 2016, 11:21:07 PM »
In my first 'real job' after a LOT of school, my coworkers were encouraging me to buy a fancy new car. My old car went on hospice and did eventually die. They were soooooooo disappointed and full of ridicule when I chose a Toyota!

Bet those are the same ones that complain how paying their student loans is putting them in the poor house...

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #13429 on: June 06, 2016, 08:49:04 PM »
I just remembered this gem from a few years ago.  A coworker said she was bummed that she didn't have $1000 to pay to see a psychic.

So let me get this straight:  You don't have $1000 to your name but if you did, you would give it to a psychic.  I can predict your future for free.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 09:02:26 PM by nouveauRiche »

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13430 on: June 07, 2016, 07:12:53 AM »
I just remembered this gem from a few years ago.  A coworker said she was bummed that she didn't have $1000 to pay to see a psychic.

So let me get this straight:  You don't have $1000 to your name but if you did, you would give it to a psychic.  I can predict your future for free.

I saw a psychic when I was a teenager. The cost was $20.

Your coworker knows a very smart psychic if they can bilk her out of $1,000. I'm a little impressed.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13431 on: June 07, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »
Finally got one!

A coworker had about $6,000 in employer contributions to his 401k and left our company in 2013. He has 5 years to move the funds to an IRA or forfeit them. But he refuses to take it! Multiple attempts, where he initially flat out said he didn't want it, and now after tracking him down in London, he refused delivery of the package with the paperwork!

It gets worse though, it turns out there are two other former employees that similarly can't be bothered to do the paperwork!

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #13432 on: June 07, 2016, 10:08:38 AM »
Heard on the radio today...

1. "You are caller number xx and you just one $1,000, what are you going to do!?!?  I am going to use the money to get some new tats!"

2. "Buy a new car from our dealership and get financing at 0% for 84 months!"

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13433 on: June 07, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »

To be fair, I would do that. If I needed a car. They say 0% because they don't expect ANYONE to qualify for that.

I needed a car and had picked out a model that was rated as very reliable with high resale value. And 2-3 year old used versions were selling at less than 10% off new. They were offering 0.9% financing and when I came in and asked about that they smirked and said that amount was for well-qualified buyers and they would do the best they could for me.

Based on the looks on faces later, I don't think they're used to seeing credit scores that start with an 8.

Free money for 7 years?! I'll take it.

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #13434 on: June 07, 2016, 03:37:16 PM »

To be fair, I would do that. If I needed a car. They say 0% because they don't expect ANYONE to qualify for that.

I needed a car and had picked out a model that was rated as very reliable with high resale value. And 2-3 year old used versions were selling at less than 10% off new. They were offering 0.9% financing and when I came in and asked about that they smirked and said that amount was for well-qualified buyers and they would do the best they could for me.

Based on the looks on faces later, I don't think they're used to seeing credit scores that start with an 8.

Free money for 7 years?! I'll take it.

I would take it too if there was a way to do it without buying a new car!

Buying a new car is one of the best ways to kill your mustache.  Let's face it, even a 2-3 year old car is a ridiculous luxury that deserves punches to the face!

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13435 on: June 07, 2016, 06:22:14 PM »

Neither am I, how did you manage that?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13436 on: June 07, 2016, 06:26:53 PM »

Long history of flawless on time payments over a variety of account types.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #13437 on: June 07, 2016, 09:31:46 PM »
Finally got one!

A coworker had about $6,000 in employer contributions to his 401k and left our company in 2013. He has 5 years to move the funds to an IRA or forfeit them. But he refuses to take it! Multiple attempts, where he initially flat out said he didn't want it, and now after tracking him down in London, he refused delivery of the package with the paperwork!

It gets worse though, it turns out there are two other former employees that similarly can't be bothered to do the paperwork!

I don't think they can set a time limit for forfeiture, but that is such an odd case that I am unsure.  I know that for wages, dividends, etc, legally they must try to get you the money for a certain number of years.  After that point, the money gets turned over to your state department of unclaimed funds.  The state then holds the money for you until you or your heirs claim it.  Periodically, the state governments audit businesses for compliance with unclaimed funds rules; this is taken seriously.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13438 on: June 08, 2016, 04:58:36 AM »
Finally got one!

I don't think they can set a time limit for forfeiture, but that is such an odd case that I am unsure.  I know that for wages, dividends, etc, legally they must try to get you the money for a certain number of years.  After that point, the money gets turned over to your state department of unclaimed funds.  The state then holds the money for you until you or your heirs claim it.  Periodically, the state governments audit businesses for compliance with unclaimed funds rules; this is taken seriously.
They're elective contributions within a profit sharing plan, which states five years after separation.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13439 on: June 08, 2016, 08:48:27 AM »
Finally got one!

They're elective contributions within a profit sharing plan, which states five years after separation.

Plus they have demonstrated that they've gone to great lengths to contact the former employee and have been rebuffed.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13440 on: June 08, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »

Mine was around 801 at 30 y/o before I bought a house. I never did anything special except pay my bills on time and even then I fucked up a little as a youngin' but nothing worse than a few late payments. But those were a long time ago and did not show up. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13441 on: June 08, 2016, 09:36:53 AM »

My husband and my credit scores have started with an 8 for as long as I can remember.

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #13442 on: June 08, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »

My husband and my credit scores have started with an 8 for as long as I can remember.

Same here for my wife and I, pretty close to breaking 830, but I don't actively try to game it either.  I hear gaming it to hit the max is actually "thing".

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13443 on: June 08, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
Long history of flawless on time payments over a variety of account types.

Exactly. At the time I had 15 years of credit history, still had my first accounts open and no late payments of any kind.

I would take it too if there was a way to do it without buying a new car!

Buying a new car is one of the best ways to kill your mustache.  Let's face it, even a 2-3 year old car is a ridiculous luxury that deserves punches to the face!

I may have made a different decision had I been reading this site at the time, but I had my justifications, among them being that a model shift 3 years prior meant significant improvements in the safety ratings and fuel efficiency. And for the record, this is my second car purchase ever after 8 years of carlessness, and is the sole car in my two-driver household.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13444 on: June 08, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
Something I found out today at work, so it counts, right?

Another team in my department was supposed to have a new person start this week. Orientation Monday, then first day in the department Tuesday. He wasn't here yesterday. Today, I found out why. Monday, he emailed HR and said that he wasn't taking the job, and was going to stay with his current company. He'd accepted the job offer 2-3 weeks ago.

He's blacklisted with HR - will never even get an interview here again.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #13445 on: June 08, 2016, 12:44:43 PM »

Another team in my department was supposed to have a new person start this week. Orientation Monday, then first day in the department Tuesday. He wasn't here yesterday. Today, I found out why. Monday, he emailed HR and said that he wasn't taking the job, and was going to stay with his current company. He'd accepted the job offer 2-3 weeks ago.

Meh, I don't see this as that strange if you are in a high demand field. The last time I switched jobs, my boss was trying to get me to stay up until the time that he walked me out to my car on my last Friday (with me starting the new job the following Monday).  I didn't take those last minute counter offers because I had non-financial reasons for leaving the company, but if that had not been true and the counter offers had been high enough I would have performed a last-minute turn around at the car with no remorse.  Maximizing your own time and value is more important than loyalty to some organization that you don't even work for yet, especially given the 'at-will' employment laws in most of the US.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13446 on: June 08, 2016, 12:47:58 PM »

This is probably the same HR that provides a nice booklet filled with information about how your employment is "at will" and can be terminated at any time

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13447 on: June 08, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »

This is probably the same HR that provides a nice booklet filled with information about how your employment is "at will" and can be terminated at any time

True, but it's generally considered good form to let your new employer know that you aren't taking the job. A few years ago we interviewed and hired someone that was very excited at the job, didn't say anything negative about it. The man was currently unemployed.

On the day he was supposed to come in, he didn't and didn't call or email us. We reached out to him and he said that he took another job and said that he didn't really want the job we wanted. When we asked him why he didn't say this, or bring up any concerns, or even tell us that he accepted another job he didn't really have a good response. Fast forward two years later, he got let-go from that company and had a friend of his who knows one of my employees well ask if there was a place for him.

My employee came in that Monday with a big smile on his face and told me this. Then he asked, "What should I tell him?"

I had to fight the urge to tell him to tell the original person, "TO GO #$#% themselves," only because I knew that my employee would send the message verbatim.

Oh, and the employee that brought me the message...we only hired him because the original guy backed out. I actually didn't like him, but am glad that I was overruled...this guy has been worth his weight in gold, and has been given raises every 6 months because he keeps justifying his worth.

Sorry for the long message, but I feel like people here would appreciate this story.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13448 on: June 08, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »

Meh, I don't see this as that strange if you are in a high demand field. The last time I switched jobs, my boss was trying to get me to stay up until the time that he walked me out to my car on my last Friday (with me starting the new job the following Monday).  I didn't take those last minute counter offers because I had non-financial reasons for leaving the company, but if that had not been true and the counter offers had been high enough I would have performed a last-minute turn around at the car with no remorse.  Maximizing your own time and value is more important than loyalty to some organization that you don't even work for yet, especially given the 'at-will' employment laws in most of the US.

On one hand: yes. I've had conversations with old colleagues before where people will criticize other people for 'not having any loyalty to the company' and I'm like... please explain yourself. I have as much loyalty to the company as they have to me, which is to say, zilch. What we have is a mutually satisfying business agreement that can be disolved from either side should it cease to be satisfying. Since the company is NEVER going to give me more loyalty than that, I'd be kind of a fool to be 'loyal' in absence of returned loyalty.

That said: don't be a dick. Call the company with who you took the job and explain that, unfortunately, you won't be there Monday for X reason. Don't let people hang around and wait. You'll burn the bridge with the company either way, but at least this means you're maintaining some semblance of professional courtesy for those who hear about the story, who you will most likely run across again in your career.

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #13449 on: June 08, 2016, 01:38:30 PM »
It is funny, I am known to say something similar..."The deal is simple, I keep showing up and the paycheck keeps showing up, if either one stops, so does the other."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!