Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252620 times)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #4000 on: September 03, 2014, 01:44:37 PM »
Relevant to my work... weirdos. Nobody even knows what's going to be announced.

http://www.dailytech.com/Quick+Note+NYC+Residents+Are+Already+Waiting+in+Line+for+Apples+Next+iPhone/article36500c.htm

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4001 on: September 03, 2014, 01:55:14 PM »

http://www.dailytech.com/Quick+Note+NYC+Residents+Are+Already+Waiting+in+Line+for+Apples+Next+iPhone/article36500c.htm

I dont even know what to say... wait in line for two weeks, and pay 1250 for the spot in the front of the line.  They still have to pay for the phone...

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4002 on: September 03, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4003 on: September 03, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »

I dont even know what to say... wait in line for two weeks, and pay 1250 for the spot in the front of the line.  They still have to pay for the phone...
Hm... 1250$ for 2 weeks non-work?
Sounds like a after-FIRE job to do for the interesting experience and things to learn (if you find tech geeks interesting) and a month of expenses :D

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4004 on: September 03, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »

I'm not saying it's the best solution, I'm saying that purely money-wise, you can make it work and come out ahead, if you're willing to pick up a part-time job of commuting to and from work in exchange for that money.

Then it's a question of whether you'd take a second job of driving for four hours a day for $10/hr. I would rather chew my own leg off, but that's a sanity issue rather than a money issue.

lifeinhd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4005 on: September 03, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »

Hm... 1250$ for 2 weeks non-work?
Sounds like a after-FIRE job to do for the interesting experience and things to learn (if you find tech geeks interesting) and a month of expenses :D

Don't even need to wait 2 weeks. Next year, show up 3 weeks early, take the $1250, leave.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4006 on: September 04, 2014, 06:44:36 AM »
My colleague is planning on spending more than 3k on his kid's first birthday party.  He spent 12k+ on vacation travel this year.

Last week he was saying how hard it is to put aside $500/month for retirement.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4007 on: September 04, 2014, 08:35:27 AM »
My colleague is planning on spending more than 3k on his kid's first birthday party.  He spent 12k+ on vacation travel this year.

Last week he was saying how hard it is to put aside $500/month for retirement.

Funny how those 2 things can't connect in some people's brains. $3K on a 1st b-day is insane. How is this even possible?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4008 on: September 04, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
This one is pretty common, but:

Coworker comes over to me and asks if I want to join her and some other people out at sushi. I told her I already ate (I bring food every day). She told me that was good. I asked her now much it was when she went out for sushi. Her reply: "you don't want to know." Then she left with 4 other 20-somethings out to sushi.

She's been here longer than I have, but I can guess what she makes (70k or so per year). I also know that sushi is $15-20. She does this at least 3 days a week along with maybe 1/2 of the staff where I work. Only the management/owners/senior people tend to bring food. $3,500/year on lunch out at least. That's about 3 weeks take-home pay every year just to pay for lunch!

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4009 on: September 04, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
I understand the lure of sushi (yum!), but damn it's expensive.  Can't see having it for a normal lunch, but maybe special occasion dinner.

Anyway, the only time I ever eat sushi is when it's on the company dime.....I've never actually paid for it - helps that hubby doesn't like fish, much less raw fish!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4010 on: September 04, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »
When I was a 20-something at work fresh out of uni I used to eat out every day for lunch, what an idiot!:) Such a waste of money but my job was so boring I used food as a treat. The older people in the office all brought their lunch to work.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4011 on: September 04, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »
Yeah I have a family member that spend an absolute load of money on each of her kids first birthday parties. Like inviting all work colleagues and having family fly in for it. It is nice in terms of a family gathering since we are all spread out throughout the country, and this is a couple that is earning more than enough money to provide for themselves and their kids, pay off their mortgage early, save for retirement, and invest in their kids education, but I shudder to think of parents that aren't earning quite so much.

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #4012 on: September 04, 2014, 11:45:14 AM »
Overhead at coffee maker:
"Yeah, my girl's gymnastics and clothes comes out of my check, husband doesn't pay anything! It's $200 a month!"

Background: Her girl's are a 4 and 1; the baby sister could be wearing hand-me-downs! $200 a MONTH??

I got a Ralph Lauren shirt for $4 at Goodwill for small male child for picture day, and 2 pairs of Old Navy jeans for $2 a pair. Not trying to sound judgey, but wow.

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4013 on: September 04, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »
By the time my daughter finished gymnastics, I was paying just under $600/month - training at 20 hours per week.  But thankfully she's now moved off to university and so she's quit gymnastics. 

Draggon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4014 on: September 04, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »
By the time my daughter finished gymnastics, I was paying just under $600/month - training at 20 hours per week.  But thankfully she's now moved off to university and so she's quit gymnastics.

I can so relate, but with dance.  My daughter just started college, and I think it will be cheaper than her dance "career" from age 5 to 18.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #4015 on: September 04, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
I can so relate, but with dance.  My daughter just started college, and I think it will be cheaper than her dance "career" from age 5 to 18.

I promise I'm not being judgy; I'm just trying to understand. When you were in the middle of the gymnastic and dancing, what was the end goal? What was the hoped for result that would make the expense and effort worthwhile?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4016 on: September 04, 2014, 04:13:24 PM »
I'd assume pretty much the same end goal of any serious activity. Self-control, discipline, the urge for self-improvement and success, friends, physical fitness. A productive use of time, and hopefully a kid too tired to get into too much trouble afterwards.

Sure, you get that from any serious activity; some cost more than others. If you can afford it, it doesn't really matter, you can leave the choice of what to spend time on to the kid.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #4017 on: September 04, 2014, 08:48:14 PM »
I am resigning my position in the Army, and there is literally an Act of Congress mandating that everyone leaving the service go through a battery of classes such as resume writing workshops, briefs on your Department of Veterans Affairs benefits, and how to conduct a professional interview. There is also a mandatory five hour personal finance class. From the material covered and the side conversations in the class it is clear that this is something that should be mandatory to all people upon entrance into the service.

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #4018 on: September 04, 2014, 09:51:52 PM »
My coworker told us he just bought a $550,000, 5000 sq ft house for him, wife, and 1 kid that is 90 minutes away from the office because he liked the town.  I literally choked on my water when he said it.  They are not planning on having more kids or rent the house out to troupes of traveling circus folk as far as I can gather my only other guess in 3000 sq ft indoor paintball field???

EricL

« Reply #4019 on: September 05, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »
I am resigning my position in the Army, and there is literally an Act of Congress mandating that everyone leaving the service go through a battery of classes such as resume writing workshops, briefs on your Department of Veterans Affairs benefits, and how to conduct a professional interview. There is also a mandatory five hour personal finance class. From the material covered and the side conversations in the class it is clear that this is something that should be mandatory to all people upon entrance into the service.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Uncle Sugar just wants to make sure none of his former troops wind up living on the street.  Yes the classes should be mandatory to everyone in the United States though in Uncle Sugar's defense they are at least available for the asking.  Just try to be patient. ACAP will end soon enough and there really are useful nuggets of information if you're wise enough to set it aside for a later date.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #4020 on: September 05, 2014, 05:05:53 AM »

I promise I'm not being judgy; I'm just trying to understand. When you were in the middle of the gymnastic and dancing, what was the end goal? What was the hoped for result that would make the expense and effort worthwhile?

Wrist tendinitis for life?  That was my end result.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4021 on: September 05, 2014, 07:45:48 AM »

You know, not to encourage the idea that parents have to shell out thousands and all their time for their kids to participate in some activity or another, but I grew up taking riding lessons (less expensive than gymnastics apparently!!), and it completely shaped who I am as a person.  I'm certainly not an accomplished equestrian, but I do think its good for kids to have a hobby to really embrace.  It taught me a lot about working hard and not giving up and conquering fear.  But that can be achieved in a lot of (probably more Mustachian) ways.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4022 on: September 05, 2014, 09:06:08 AM »
I have a fairly new CW who wants to own his own shop someday to fix cars, and more specifically all types of race cars.  Based on his previous work this is not crazy.  But he makes $12/hr here and each year can basically plan to get a 3% raise, which is usually all this company does.  He then goes out to eat ALL THE TIME.  And not good food-all types of fast food and gas station food.  He plans to buy a four wheeler soon.  And then he says he'll "someday" have enough money to open this shop, but right now he doesn't have any money to save.  But on the bright side, he just used a 50% off coupon to buy $12,000 worth of good tools for only $6,000.  And he says the payment plan has a pretty low interest rate!  I really like this guy, but oh my goodness.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4023 on: September 05, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »
I have a fairly new CW who wants to own his own shop someday to fix cars, and more specifically all types of race cars.  Based on his previous work this is not crazy.  But he makes $12/hr here and each year can basically plan to get a 3% raise, which is usually all this company does.  He then goes out to eat ALL THE TIME.  And not good food-all types of fast food and gas station food.  He plans to buy a four wheeler soon.  And then he says he'll "someday" have enough money to open this shop, but right now he doesn't have any money to save.  But on the bright side, he just used a 50% off coupon to buy $12,000 worth of good tools for only $6,000.  And he says the payment plan has a pretty low interest rate!  I really like this guy, but oh my goodness.

I hope these are tools for a side gig that will have some cash flow with minimal other expenses?  Any hope of this side gig organically growing to full time for him?

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4024 on: September 05, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »
My office is located in, shall we say, an urban area.  As a result many of the entry-level kids have been fully indoctrinated into the bling lifestyle and I routinely see people whom I know very well don't make much more than ten bucks an hour wearing shoes or carrying purses that cost more than my mortgage payment.  I know a girl who bought an $800 Coach bag ... in which to carry her dog.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:57:13 AM by MandalayVA »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4025 on: September 05, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »
I was talking to a coworker (and aspiring mustachian) today. She is pretty new to the company. She was saying that at her old work, a coworker told her that she "got high from:" (makes a credit card swiping motion). She thought it was absurd as I did, but there you go.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4026 on: September 05, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
I was talking to a coworker (and aspiring mustachian) today. She is pretty new to the company. She was saying that at her old work, a coworker told her that she "got high from:" (makes a credit card swiping motion). She thought it was absurd as I did, but there you go.

Haha whats the coworker going to do when chip and pin becomes prevalent in the US? No more swiping!

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #4027 on: September 05, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »
Two co-workers are headed to the corporate office for a few days, which is a 3 hour drive away.  The amount of planning going into this is INSANE, but I suspect that in their department, this ridiculous level of micro-management is their version of job security.

We are allowed to rent a car, drive our own car and get the per/mile rate, or if available, we can borrow a handful of pool cars here.  They are choosing the latter option.  Earlier today, they received notice of what vehicle has been made available for their trip.  They requested a towncar, and were horrified to learn that they had been assigned a 2006 FORD EXPLORER!!!  The female co-worker loudly exclaimed - that's way older than even my car!  She drives a pretty late model Honda Accord, and she's financed to the hilt.

I laughed to myself as I thought about my awesome, mint condition 01 Accord.  She must see me pull out of the parking lot and think I'm destitute.

I hope their trip to the corporate office is OK, seeing as how the company felt it acceptable to put them in an 8 year old SUV to make the three hour trip on paved roads.  Oh, the horror of it all!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4028 on: September 05, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »

Haha whats the coworker going to do when chip and pin becomes prevalent in the US? No more swiping!

Lol yeah, I was about to say who swipes anymore. Then I recalled, US banks are a long way behind the times, a result of having no cash to invest in tech.

Cards will disappear soon enough. In the not too distant future, payments through phone apps linked to your credit and debit cards will overtake regular credit card transactions in volume down here.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4029 on: September 05, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »

Lol yeah, I was about to say who swipes anymore. Then I recalled, US banks are a long way behind the times, a result of having no cash to invest in tech.

Cards will disappear soon enough. In the not too distant future, payments through phone apps linked to your credit and debit cards will overtake regular credit card transactions in volume down here.

I'm pretty sure all the merchants would have to foot at least some of the bill to get the new chip and pin machines. And the banks have plenty of cash to invest in tech--some of them just don't want to spend the money.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4030 on: September 05, 2014, 05:48:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure all the merchants would have to foot at least some of the bill to get the new chip and pin machines. And the banks have plenty of cash to invest in tech--some of them just don't want to spend the money.

Because they have to pay dividends to their investors, the mustachians.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4031 on: September 05, 2014, 06:30:49 PM »

Hmm, in a lot of places now I swipe my card on the PayPass card-reader. And the US still doesn't even have chips?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4032 on: September 05, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »

Hmm, in a lot of places now I swipe my card on the PayPass card-reader. And the US still doesn't even have chips?

I think chip readers on the cc will be required in 2015 some time, but yes we dont have chips now.  Here merchants are required to buy the cc scaner and there are about 1000 different companies that operate between the cc 'swipe' and applying it to your account (only one handles a given transaction but is messy).  Not sure if our chipped cards will be compatible with the rest of the worlds chipped cards, would be nice.

US coworker went to Europe recently and did not get any cash because his card had a chip in it so he planned on only using that, well it was not compatible with the local readers.  Ended up having to barrow cash.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4033 on: September 05, 2014, 07:40:08 PM »
FYI folks, 6 months ago after another big fraud (target I think) made a few companies go the chip route. I have a chase card with a chip. I still have 2 swipe it everywhere except walmart which invested in the chip reader.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4034 on: September 05, 2014, 08:16:42 PM »
I've never been anywhere in Europe where they couldn't swipe the card or enter the number by hand.  It's inconvenient not to have a chip, but not impossible to find places to use your card.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #4035 on: September 05, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »

Wrist tendinitis for life?  That was my end result.

But it appears those gymnastics lessons created absolute beauty for the people watching these pros:

http://sfglobe.com/?id=2530

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #4036 on: September 05, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
Wanted to tell him that there's a problem spending all of your life earning a living if you never get around to actually living, but I thought better.

But what is "actually living", anyway?  Why is whatever you do when you're not working more "living" than what you do when working? 

Certainly some of the things people have suggested as alternative uses for their time, like full-time travel or spending lots of time with kids, would bore the crap out of me.

Not to judge too strongly, but if spending time with your kids bore you, perhaps you should not have bred in the first place. ;)
Thats judging strongly lol i have a kid, adore him and spend lots of time with him but there comes a point where enough is enough. In fairness though I am a closet introvert and need quiet periods throughout my day or evening to keep me sane

Lindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Turtle
« Reply #4037 on: September 06, 2014, 01:17:48 AM »
My first post!  My coworker was telling me how she was shopping for new makeup at Ulta and when the cashier was done totaling up her purchases it was around $800.  She was a little shocked at the price, but paid it anyways.  She told herself it was good makeup and she would use it all.  When she saw my shocked face she explained that it wasn't just makeup, but really good makeup brushes also. 

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4038 on: September 06, 2014, 01:42:40 AM »
US coworker went to Europe recently and did not get any cash because his card had a chip in it so he planned on only using that, well it was not compatible with the local readers.  Ended up having to barrow cash.

Inexperienced traveler. Whenever you travel abroad for any serious length of time take a couple hundred dollars or euros with you in addition to several cards. You don't have to spend it, but just in case...

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4039 on: September 06, 2014, 01:44:57 AM »
I've never been anywhere in Europe where they couldn't swipe the card or enter the number by hand.  It's inconvenient not to have a chip, but not impossible to find places to use your card.

True, but I think you'd have trouble buying train tickets here without a proper card or cash. Most stations only have ticket machines and no human operators around.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4040 on: September 06, 2014, 05:47:33 AM »

True, but I think you'd have trouble buying train tickets here without a proper card or cash. Most stations only have ticket machines and no human operators around.

I never fly without ~300$ worth of local currency in my pocket when I board the plane.  Big hotels, gas stations near the airport and the like will take US cards but not the local grocery store or Subway sandwich shop. 

deedeezee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4041 on: September 06, 2014, 05:50:15 AM »
My first post!  My coworker was telling me how she was shopping for new makeup at Ulta and when the cashier was done totaling up her purchases it was around $800.  She was a little shocked at the price, but paid it anyways.  She told herself it was good makeup and she would use it all.  When she saw my shocked face she explained that it wasn't just makeup, but really good makeup brushes also.

I love makeup/skincare/haircare, and I love Ulta/Sephora, and even I would have said, deadpan, "you are kidding, right?"  $800 is ludicrous for an annual budget.  For a one-time visit, it is truly, spectacularly, insane.  Wow.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4042 on: September 06, 2014, 06:58:30 AM »
Welcome to the boards!  As a guy I refrain from commenting on this topic but once a co-worker came in gushing about her weekend at a spa, the manicure, pedicure, whole works and then said how her facial was $xxx number of dollars but so worth it.  Another, older lady who is very refined looking in a classic, non glitzy way stopped, looked at her intently and said " you spent $xxx on a facial?  Honey, you need to ask for a refund" and walked away.  I had to leave before I busted a gut!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4043 on: September 06, 2014, 07:07:43 AM »
So one of my coworkers bought a new f250 diesel truck. Drover it to work every day for a while. All of a sudden he starts hitching a ride with his girlfriend. I thought to my self maybe this is the first small step in the right direction. Nope he shows up yesterday all smiles and says "Thank god its payday now I can afford to tag my truck and I won't have to bum rides with cindy".

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #4044 on: September 06, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »
Finally have one.  I'm a custom cabinet installer, so it can be a solitary existence on the job site.  I'm either alone most of the time, or working with ESL painters (English second language.) 

However, the other day I had the unfortunate privilege of working with another installer.  I've known this guy for years, and I'm not a fan of his.  But I digress...As a custom cabinet installer, I've learned the hard way over the years to buy quality tools that will last.  Higher up front cost (mitigated by using CL, but less likely to have to replace.). His near constant remarks of calling me "big money" and "I wish I could afford your nice Festools" are, somewhat ironically, followed up by telling me he "Just got his old boat back" (he had to sell it when the economy tanked).  And he followed that up by telling me he and his buddy are going halves on a new 24' center console boat.  "The payment is only 250.00! (Over ten years, mind you.) "That's only 125.00 a month since we're splitting the payments."

Oh, and this is so the same guy that's had to find work out of state because he had to chase money elsewhere because he didn't have the savings to weather the downturn...

I'm a new mustacian, but in this industry, you either save your money when the gettins good, or your toast when it eventually tanks.

This same guy was talking to me again (tough to avoid him), and he's telling me how much money he was making up in Boston last year.  We both live in the greater Charleston sc area.  He's burnt every bridge here so he had to seek work out of state. 

Anyway, he's telling me that "guys up there make over 50.00 an hour." (I'm thinking, "no, that's what they're paid hourly as subcontractors, they're not really making 50.00.  I personally charge more per hour, and indont have to travel to Boston, nor do I have to pay to stay in a hotel while I'm up there like he did). And he goes on to say that most of the guys up there have second homes, and when it's payday, most of them just tell their boss to mail them their check.  He could not wrap his head around this!  He kept saying it over and over, and telling me he would rush to pick up his check. 

Sounds like a few mustacian carpenters live up in Boston :)

Draggon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4045 on: September 06, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »

I can tell you I asked myself this question many times over the years as I saw expenses piling up.  In contrast, my son was a bargain.  There is no right answer.  We could certainly afford it, but I made it clear that I wasn't on board with going whole-hog either.  We compromised, and my wife did as much as she could to save money along the way - things like making costumes or buying basic costumes and dressing them up herself with all the necessary bling.

The rewards were many.  It kept her very busy resulting in a trouble-free life for the most part.  It kept her focused and taught her the meaning of hard work vs. reward.  She had little interest in dating and partying until recently.  My wife ate it up and got very involved in the dance studio while making a bunch of new friends.  She was the go-to person when someone needing something done with a sewing machine.  I think she's still dealing with the post-partum blues.

Anyway, we had no specific end goal.  There was certainly no illusion that she would go Pro and make bazillions of dollars or anything like that.  I say that, but one of our dance family friends just had their daughter take 2nd place on the national TV show, So You Think You Can Dance.  For Valerie, this was a dream come true.  I can't quite relate, but I guess dancing really gets into your blood and becomes a big part of who you are and how you express yourself.

The biggest caution I would put on all this is to know your own means and don't get carried away.  While expensive, we both worked and made sure we kept it relatively reasonable.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #4046 on: September 06, 2014, 01:37:50 PM »

You shouldn't be able to get a high school diploma until you've done this!

EricL

« Reply #4047 on: September 06, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »

You shouldn't be able to get a high school diploma until you've done this!

LoL.  My high schools (I attended 4) didn't teach ANY of that.  And certainly not veteran's benefits.  The closest thing they ever did was teach me how to write checks.

Lindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Turtle
« Reply #4048 on: September 06, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »

I love makeup/skincare/haircare, and I love Ulta/Sephora, and even I would have said, deadpan, "you are kidding, right?"  $800 is ludicrous for an annual budget.  For a one-time visit, it is truly, spectacularly, insane.  Wow.

This CW isn't even what I would consider very feminine.  She never wears makeup to work.  I just don't get it.

Lindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Turtle
« Reply #4049 on: September 06, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »
Welcome to the boards!  As a guy I refrain from commenting on this topic but once a co-worker came in gushing about her weekend at a spa, the manicure, pedicure, whole works and then said how her facial was $xxx number of dollars but so worth it.  Another, older lady who is very refined looking in a classic, non glitzy way stopped, looked at her intently and said " you spent $xxx on a facial?  Honey, you need to ask for a refund" and walked away.  I had to leave before I busted a gut!
Haha. That's awesome.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!