Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253184 times)

Camarillo Brillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #8800 on: June 25, 2015, 08:15:28 AM »
As a person with a SUPER common first name (#1 or 2 the year I was born??) the small amount of annoyance of having 10 peers with the same name (guys think that's cool and use it as a reason to be friends) is vastly outweighed by the complete lack of chance that my name will be used to pull my resume out of a pile, keep me out of a job, or otherwise used against me in any way.

My name was in the top 10 the year I was born, but is not even represented in 2014's top 100. Interesting.
I've met maybe two people in my life who share my first name.  Nobody pronounces it correctly the first time.  Last year (when I was 33), my mom told me that they gave me a common middle name so that I could use that if I wanted to.

Seriously?  You waited until I was 33 to tell me this!?
How odd.  One would think that 'Pooperman' would have more staying power.  It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8801 on: June 25, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »
My pastor met a lady who named her kid Fudgesicle! The lady saw it in the grocery store one day and thought it was the prettiest name she ever. Its pronouced foodge sciliy.
I did taxes for a couple who's baby was named Quetzalcoatl....They pulled out his social security card so I could make sure I spelled it correctly.

I'm another one of those who was given a name that was not popular...until the year I was born. My parents didn't know anyone else with my name at the time but there were three of us in my class of 40.

DH on the other hand has a name that I feel should be well known but is often mispronounced or misspelled. Seriously, people have issues with Eli...

Is it Ehl-ee or Ee-lie? It's ambiguous.

Very ambiguous. I met someone a few years ago with the same spelling who pronounces it Ee-lee

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #8802 on: June 25, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »
OK, let's go back to stupid names for people's children.  Specifically Kaylee in all its variations.  The legitimate word is Ceilidh (Scots Gaelic) or sometimes Ceili (Irish Gaelic) and it means a party with alcohol and music and dancing and basically having a grand time.  Do the people using this as a girl's name have any clue as to the original meaning?

Okay - how about Stelmo for a little girl we know of? Our own children have old fashioned names so I can't laugh and point fingers. ;) Didn't want our kids to have any of the top 50 (especially the top 10) current names. I was one of those kids way back when. When they called my name about four or five of us all jumped to attention.  :)
Oooh! I'm a school teacher, I've taught some doozies!

My favourites:
  • Doobie (female)
  • Shoushan (female)
  • Dorsey ('door-see')(male)
  • Jacqualee ('ja-kah-lee') & Jamarlee (they're brothers)
  • Teniqua, Tanika, & Tamika (all in the same class)
  • Shonkiqua & Shaniqua (in the same class)
  • Tyreke and Tireek (again, in the same class)(and then I got a 'Tyreece' this year)
  • Phyia ('fire')(male)

There's lots more, but they get less funny.

A friend of mine taught in Korea and had a female student named Rim So Young.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8803 on: June 25, 2015, 10:15:30 AM »
Funny story: my friend (EE/CE) sold his bike to a roommate (EE/CE) who didn't take care of it as instructed, and the battery ran flat. Jumped it with a car. Yep, jumped a bike battery with a car. No google, no research, just straight up connected the two. Hilarious.

Motorcycle battery? Sure you can do it. You can also jumpstart a lawn tractor this way. Have done both. My motorcycle was hard to start in wet weather (cracked coil). Rode it year 'round this way for a year or so. Eventually sold it. Learned to live with the hard start and how to get around that (how to tease the carbs so it would start and run on two cylinders until the other two dried out and fired).

I've done it, too.  But EEs will generally be aware that automotive batteries are basically all 12v.

Yea it's fine, 12v all around (unless you have a really old/weird bike w/ 6v, but never seen one).  What you don't want to do is have the car running.  Car alternators can put out a lot more than 12v, which the bike might not like.

Cars don't put out any more voltage than motorcycles.  Excepting if you have an old 6v bike that is actually still running at 6v.  Most I've seen have been converted to run as a 12v system.

http://www.motorbikelicense.com/can-you-jump-start-a-motorcycle-with-a-car/

If this is wrong I'd be interested to hear why.  Alternator output varies a lot, up to 18v being common, as I understand it.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8804 on: June 25, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »
Any page that says " more than 12v of power. " can be safely ignored.

A 12v alternator will typically put out 13.6V, it can supply a lot more current and hence power than a bike alternator but that is irrelevant. When I plug my phone charger into a house 110V outlet I don't care if it is supplied by a 300W gasoline generator or a  4Gw coal fired station.

The only danger with jump starting a bike is the same as jump starting a car, accidentally shorting the battery by touching cables - it's just a lot easier to do on a small bike.

Jump starting a bike can be entertaining as well. Run alongside, drop the clutch and have a 900cc sports bike engine start. My bike could do 0-60 in <3seconds and you are hanging onto it while running....

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8805 on: June 25, 2015, 10:55:27 AM »
OK, let's go back to stupid names for people's children.  Specifically Kaylee in all its variations.  The legitimate word is Ceilidh (Scots Gaelic) or sometimes Ceili (Irish Gaelic) and it means a party with alcohol and music and dancing and basically having a grand time.  Do the people using this as a girl's name have any clue as to the original meaning?

Okay - how about Stelmo for a little girl we know of? Our own children have old fashioned names so I can't laugh and point fingers. ;) Didn't want our kids to have any of the top 50 (especially the top 10) current names. I was one of those kids way back when. When they called my name about four or five of us all jumped to attention.  :)

My favourites:
  • Doobie (female)
  • Shoushan (female)
  • Tyreke and Tireek (again, in the same class)(and then I got a 'Tyreece' this year)
  • Phyia ('fire')(male)

A friend of mine taught in Korea and had a female student named Rim So Young.

http://weknowawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/bus-driver-hung-e1339077580213.jpg

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #8806 on: June 25, 2015, 10:58:47 AM »
Funny story: my friend (EE/CE) sold his bike to a roommate (EE/CE) who didn't take care of it as instructed, and the battery ran flat. Jumped it with a car. Yep, jumped a bike battery with a car. No google, no research, just straight up connected the two. Hilarious.

Motorcycle battery? Sure you can do it. You can also jumpstart a lawn tractor this way. Have done both. My motorcycle was hard to start in wet weather (cracked coil). Rode it year 'round this way for a year or so. Eventually sold it. Learned to live with the hard start and how to get around that (how to tease the carbs so it would start and run on two cylinders until the other two dried out and fired).

I've done it, too.  But EEs will generally be aware that automotive batteries are basically all 12v.

Yea it's fine, 12v all around (unless you have a really old/weird bike w/ 6v, but never seen one).  What you don't want to do is have the car running.  Car alternators can put out a lot more than 12v, which the bike might not like.

Cars don't put out any more voltage than motorcycles.  Excepting if you have an old 6v bike that is actually still running at 6v.  Most I've seen have been converted to run as a 12v system.

http://www.motorbikelicense.com/can-you-jump-start-a-motorcycle-with-a-car/

If this is wrong I'd be interested to hear why.  Alternator output varies a lot, up to 18v being common, as I understand it.

If a car is producing 18v it is broken.  Specifically, the voltage regulator is broken.  Both my bike and my car produce about 14 volts while running as read by a multimeter at the battery terminals.  Both are also capable of producing substantially more if it weren't for the regulator.

I prefer to push start my bikes when the batteries die because of the pain that it is to get to the battery.  I have however jump started several bikes over the years, both mine and other peoples, and have never had a problem. 

Any page that says " more than 12v of power. " can be safely ignored.   <------  THIS A MILLION TIMES

Jump starting a bike can be entertaining as well. Run alongside, drop the clutch and have a 900cc sports bike engine start. My bike could do 0-60 in <3seconds and you are hanging onto it while running....

I prefer to be on the bike when I pop the clutch.  Seems less likely to get away from me.  Run, hop, pop.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8807 on: June 25, 2015, 11:27:58 AM »
As a person with a SUPER common first name (#1 or 2 the year I was born??) the small amount of annoyance of having 10 peers with the same name (guys think that's cool and use it as a reason to be friends) is vastly outweighed by the complete lack of chance that my name will be used to pull my resume out of a pile, keep me out of a job, or otherwise used against me in any way.
ha ha my husband is Michael.  #1 for decades, literally

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8808 on: June 25, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »
I have a top 10 name from the year I was born, but it was a "new" name. My parents thought it was unique. My grandparents had hardly heard of it. I used that when I gave my kids "weird" names.

This works if you're a man. Those of us with very common feminine names have the annoyance alongside the chance that my name will keep me out of a job. And, also, women's names seem more cyclical than men's, so they can also be used for age discrimination. As an example of what I'll be facing in 20 years, the equivalent name for girls 20 years before I was born was Linda. For boys, it was Jeffrey. I've known a much wider age-range of Lindas than Jeffs.
My name peaked in popularity in the 50's.  I've met 2 or 3 other women with the same name (born in the 50's or earlier!)

My neighbor has 3 daughters and mostly gave them gender neutral names.  The middle one is a bit more feminine but has a gender neutral middle name.

Funny because her husband's name is also gender neutral.  Or, is a male name that became gender neutral in the 70's.

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #8809 on: June 25, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »

My favourites:
  • Doobie (female)
  • Shoushan (female)
  • Phyia ('fire')(male)

I had a student named M'kaleah, and had an interesting discussion during a grammar assignment about whether she could have two apostrophes to be possessive, lol.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8810 on: June 25, 2015, 02:41:53 PM »
Blast from the past about the bike thing.

Let me put it this way: he basically burned out the entire electrical system by fucking up what he was doing. The details aren't nearly as important as the fact that an EE didn't think to figure out how to properly jump his bike, and just ham-handed it to death. Nothing wrong with not knowing, a lot wrong with killing $3k by making assumptions.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8811 on: June 25, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »

I prefer to be on the bike when I pop the clutch.  Seems less likely to get away from me.  Run, hop, pop.
Yes this occurred to me about 0.001 seconds after the engine started and about 0.5seconds before I could get the clutch in.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:23:47 PM by nobodyspecial »

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8812 on: June 25, 2015, 03:58:33 PM »

My favourites:
  • Doobie (female)
  • Shoushan (female)
  • Phyia ('fire')(male)

A woman I dated was a high school teacher and had a girl named "La-a" in her class.  On the first day of class when she was trying to pronounce it, it was quickly pointed out to her that it was pronounced 'La-dash-ah'.  :|

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8813 on: June 25, 2015, 04:03:34 PM »
Coworker: Laundry is such a hassle. I just get mine done for me and my girlfriend at (some service I didn't understand) for only $60.
Me: What?! $60 is insane!
Coworker: Not really. We do like 2-3 loads, it costs at least $15 at the laundromat.
Me: (As is $45 is not already a big enough difference) How is it $15?
Coworker: It's $2 per washer and 2 loads, then you have to dry it and that's another dollar.
Me: So 2+2+1+1 = ....... 15?
Coworker: (Trails off).....

Note: This guy workers in a well-paid role at a prestigious company and is about to start his MBA at a very high ranked and well-known university. He's supposedly smart (rolls eyes).

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #8814 on: June 25, 2015, 04:03:37 PM »
A woman I dated was a high school teacher and had a girl named "La-a" in her class.  On the first day of class when she was trying to pronounce it, it was quickly pointed out to her that it was pronounced 'La-dash-ah'.  :|

Ever seen the movie Idiocracy? yeah... shit like that makes me believe it is happening already. Next thing you know that child will be under the care of Carl's Jr. ...

Edited to include relevant link. https://youtu.be/wW-4LU79qbU
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:05:58 PM by Migrator Soul »

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8815 on: June 25, 2015, 04:25:42 PM »

Ever seen the movie Idiocracy? yeah... shit like that makes me believe it is happening already. Next thing you know that child will be under the care of Carl's Jr. ...

Edited to include relevant link. https://youtu.be/wW-4LU79qbU

HA!  My mom had one of those too!  Her favorite all time was the little boy named Shitheed, pronounce Shi Heed....she called that kid shithead by accident on more than one occasion

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8816 on: June 25, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »
Come on, everybody's heard the La-a and Shithead ones before. For years.

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #8817 on: June 25, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »
Come on, everybody's heard the La-a and Shithead ones before. For years.

Confirming first time for me. I also grew up in a backwoods Oregon town, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #8818 on: June 25, 2015, 05:11:57 PM »
I'll just leave this here: http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

As to whether there is such a child, despite our hearing from dozens and dozens of readers who have claimed to us a girl bearing such a name was in their class or was in a class taught by a relative or acquaintance of theirs, we've yet to find documentation of anyone's bearing a name of "Le-a" that is pronounced "Ledasha" (or any other way). What we found through searching online Social Security databases (which are not complete repositories of information and thus aren't the final say in the matter) showed that while there were more than 4,000 "Lea"s, there weren't any "Le-a"s. For what it's worth, references in various news stories document that "Ledasha" (fully spelled out, not in a "Le-a" form) has indeed been used as a girl's name.

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #8819 on: June 25, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »

As to whether there is such a child, despite our hearing from dozens and dozens of readers who have claimed to us a girl bearing such a name was in their class or was in a class taught by a relative or acquaintance of theirs, we've yet to find documentation of anyone's bearing a name of "Le-a" that is pronounced "Ledasha" (or any other way). What we found through searching online Social Security databases (which are not complete repositories of information and thus aren't the final say in the matter) showed that while there were more than 4,000 "Lea"s, there weren't any "Le-a"s. For what it's worth, references in various news stories document that "Ledasha" (fully spelled out, not in a "Le-a" form) has indeed been used as a girl's name.

Wow, just kill all the fun. :P

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8820 on: June 25, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
My husband's colleagues have been buying lunch at a toasted sandwich place in Sydney for the last couple of months.

Apparently it's really popular because they put all sorts of 'trendy' things on sandwiches, like spaghetti bolognaise or roast meat.

They're paying for bread and leftovers! $8 each and they buy two plus a drink = $20.

>.<

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8821 on: June 25, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »

Correcting stupid urban legends that are being passed on as true isn't killing fun. Snopes is wonderful. :)

Also can you remove or shrink the image in your signature?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8822 on: June 25, 2015, 09:56:16 PM »
My husband's colleagues have been buying lunch at a toasted sandwich place in Sydney for the last couple of months.

Apparently it's really popular because they put all sorts of 'trendy' things on sandwiches, like spaghetti bolognaise or roast meat.

They're paying for bread and leftovers! $8 each and they buy two plus a drink = $20.

That sounds like a good idea, I'll make this at home sometime. Thanks!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8823 on: June 25, 2015, 09:58:31 PM »

That sounds like a good idea, I'll make this at home sometime. Thanks!

Needs more carbs! :D

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #8824 on: June 25, 2015, 10:53:26 PM »

Correcting stupid urban legends that are being passed on as true isn't killing fun. Snopes is wonderful. :)

Love snopes, just being a difficult SOB

As for the sig, sure thing, I'll remove it temporarily until I get around to the resize. Any particular limitations you wish it to conform to?

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8825 on: June 25, 2015, 11:51:13 PM »
I don't know about today, but 20 years ago if you saw a large crowd of people and shouted...

"Hey Mike!"

...about a third of the men would look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8826 on: June 26, 2015, 01:48:12 AM »
Naming conventions are so interesting! When you register a birth in the US then, are you allowed to include apostrophes in the name? I don't know if that would be allowed in the UK.

Hyphens are ok, Sarah-Louise or Sarah-Lou was popular when I was young. la-dash-a was definitely the first time of hearing it for me!

Also I have an American relative called W. Richard Surname, and we're like, 'What's the W for?' and he's like, 'Er,it's just W', and we were like, 'What?'. That is not a thing in the UK either.

(Insert joke about socialism v freedom here).

And just to keep this on track, my co-worker was telling me about his cool weekend plans. They are paying £100 per person to go to a regular office building and be locked into an office. They then have to open filing cabinets and desk drawers, and crack codes until they find the key to let themselves out.

I was like, dude, I have an office, I'll lock you in it for free.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8827 on: June 26, 2015, 03:18:04 AM »

>.<
My sister used to do the catering for the parachute club. Lots of very hungry men to feed and one of them once couldn't decide whether to have shepherd's pie or just a sandwich. So my sister jokingly asked him if he wanted a shepherd's pie sandwich. He looked like all his christmasses had come at once as he thought about it so she did it. It caught on very quickly and was hugely popular for the rest of the summer.

mickeyj

• Stubble
« Reply #8828 on: June 26, 2015, 03:45:11 AM »
Naming conventions are so interesting! When you register a birth in the US then, are you allowed to include apostrophes in the name? I don't know if that would be allowed in the UK.

Hyphens are ok, Sarah-Louise or Sarah-Lou was popular when I was young. la-dash-a was definitely the first time of hearing it for me!

Also I have an American relative called W. Richard Surname, and we're like, 'What's the W for?' and he's like, 'Er,it's just W', and we were like, 'What?'. That is not a thing in the UK either.

And just to keep this on track, my co-worker was telling me about his cool weekend plans. They are paying £100 per person to go to a regular office building and be locked into an office. They then have to open filing cabinets and desk drawers, and crack codes until they find the key to let themselves out.

That's quite a popular game in Singapore. The "escape from a room" game.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #8829 on: June 26, 2015, 04:09:20 AM »

I'm less concerned about the W. and more concerned that your relatives last name is Surname. That's fucking comedy gold right there.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8830 on: June 26, 2015, 04:23:02 AM »

LOL.:P

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8831 on: June 26, 2015, 05:05:14 AM »
I think it's in Argentina that it's common to name people with just an initial in the middle: Juan R. Nombre. Just R. Then the person decides when they're an adult what R. stands for.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8832 on: June 26, 2015, 05:23:36 AM »

I'm less concerned about the W. and more concerned that your relatives last name is Surname. That's fucking comedy gold right there.

That actually made me LOL.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #8833 on: June 26, 2015, 05:38:24 AM »

President Harry S Truman had "S" as his middle name. The S was to please both his grandfathers Anderson Shipp Truman and Solomon Young.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8834 on: June 26, 2015, 07:41:42 AM »

This is a common story, along with the famous mythical twins "Orangejello" and "Lemonjello".

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8835 on: June 26, 2015, 08:53:13 AM »
We're part of the funny name club . . . named our kid ";DROP DATABASE" just to see what government agencies properly protect against injection attacks.

jordanread

« Reply #8836 on: June 26, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
We're part of the funny name club . . . named our kid ";DROP DATABASE" just to see what government agencies properly protect against injection attacks.

?

Although my absolute favorite has to be this one:

(There is a better picture somewhere in which it doesn't have a misspelling of table, but it's still damn funny)

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8837 on: June 26, 2015, 09:48:51 AM »

That lying bitch...... :D

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8838 on: June 26, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »

That lying bitch...... :D
It may have started out as urban legend, but my mother works in a low income subsidized child care center in a ghetto and some bright lights out there really are naming their kids some stupid shit, she's gotten everything from the puns to the "future famous rapper" names, like Little Lay Lay and and William "Un" Rest (a brother and sister pair about 5 years ago).  Those aren't nicknames, those are no shit on the birth certificate at registration names She's also had her fair share of miniature phsychopaths over the years (she's been doing it 22 years now)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8839 on: June 26, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
All children are psychopaths, man.

But yeah, poor people (and trash with money) fucking love weird-ass names. Race and culture don't matter, they all have 'em. Who the fuck names their kid Trig?

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #8840 on: June 26, 2015, 11:42:05 AM »

This is a common story, along with the famous mythical twins "Orangejello" and "Lemonjello".

TRUE STORY: Had a former student in my school district named D'iar Rhia 

When you say first and last together,  it sounds like diarrhea

Another student - from the middle east - had a name which sounds like SITH-HEED, however, it was spelled Shithead!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8841 on: June 26, 2015, 11:44:25 AM »

TRUE STORY: Had a former student in my school district named D'iar Rhia 

When you say first and last together,  it sounds like diarrhea

Another student - from the middle east - had a name which sounds like SITH-HEED, however, it was spelled Shithead!

I knew an Indian boy named Gorung, which I am likely misspelling, but it sounded like "GO WRONG!"

Another one named Faqad, which when pronounced sounds like, $#% head." At least for him, his family was in India when he was born and moved later.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8842 on: June 26, 2015, 11:55:41 AM »
A guy I used to autocross with was from Korea. His name was You-Suk. He went by Alex.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8843 on: June 26, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »
I work with many Asian engineers.  There's a Hu, Hao, and Yu on my team alone.

I've heard some hilarious unintentional Who's on First style conversations because of these names.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8844 on: June 26, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »

I've heard some hilarious unintentional Who's on First style conversations because of these names.

Hu's on first, Yu's on Second, Hao'd they get there, only Yu know :D.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8845 on: June 26, 2015, 12:22:22 PM »

- You on project A?
- No, Yu's on project B right now.
- Who's on the project then?
- Yes.
- Yes, what?
- Hu's on the project.
- That's what I asked!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #8846 on: June 26, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »

- You on project A?
- Yes.
- Yes, what?
- Hu's on the project.
- That's what I asked!

A former co-worker's surname was Yew Fat Kok. 

with a short o vowel sound,mind you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8847 on: June 26, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »

- You on project A?
- Yes.
- Yes, what?
- Hu's on the project.
- That's what I asked!

A former co-worker's surname was Yew Fat Kok. 

with a short o vowel sound,mind you.

LOL, Asian names sound so funny in English.  Honestly, what were they thinking?????

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #8848 on: June 26, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »
More from the redneck boss files:

We had a trainee here from Russia, his first name is Evgeniy.  My boss is horrific at pronunciation, so he asked him how to say it.  My boss attempted it, and came up with You Guinea.  For two weeks, imagine a white haired old man walking down the halls, calling out for "You Guinea!"  How I kept a straight face, I don't know....

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #8849 on: June 26, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »

LOL, Asian names sound so funny in English.  Honestly, what were they thinking?????

Because when the parents were naming their kids, just like everybody else, they totally thought: "Hmmm, I wonder if the name will sound silly in English, or German, or French...or Spanish..or...."