Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252559 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #12300 on: February 10, 2016, 05:46:41 AM »
Does no one here use a hanky? It's handier and nicer to use (softer, does not disintegrate) for all but the grossest of colds.

I do! :)

I found some lace and linen vintage ones on eBay for about 1$ each when my daughter was born. She was endlessly spitting up, and I was tired of Kleenex taking over my pockets, purse, sleeves, etc (and sometimes you're going somewhere, covering everything with flannel blankets isn't always practical...) the lace and nice fabric felt a lot less "I have been taken over b baby entropy" and a lot more "I can handle this". Probably cheaper in the long run, but honestly not the main concern. :)

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12301 on: February 10, 2016, 06:02:37 AM »
But all 'highway miles' so that makes it OK, right???   :)

lol - I love when I see a car for sale in any major city - ALL HIGHWAY MILES.

ooooh so the car spent it's life in stop and go traffic and constantly idling so there is probably way more wear and tear than the miles actually indicate.... lol

Highway miles generally indicate much less wear. Most highways in the US aren't gridlocked.
I believe they were implying that highway travel in major cities is about the same as repeated stop and go with intermittent idling.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12302 on: February 10, 2016, 06:10:51 AM »
Does no one here use a hanky? It's handier and nicer to use (softer, does not disintegrate) for all but the grossest of colds.

I do! :)

I found some lace and linen vintage ones on eBay for about 1$ each when my daughter was born. She was endlessly spitting up, and I was tired of Kleenex taking over my pockets, purse, sleeves, etc (and sometimes you're going somewhere, covering everything with flannel blankets isn't always practical...) the lace and nice fabric felt a lot less "I have been taken over b baby entropy" and a lot more "I can handle this". Probably cheaper in the long run, but honestly not the main concern. :)
I use a handkerchief if I'm working outside around a lot of dust or pollen or if I am at a formal event and I have a cold, but generally I don't need to blow my nose enough to justify carrying one. I have a nice stack of monogramed ones in my dresser that I received as a gift from my grandmother when I graduated from high school though.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12303 on: February 10, 2016, 06:25:25 AM »
I carry and use hankies. I carry one like Ford Prefect's towel.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12304 on: February 10, 2016, 06:31:17 AM »

Looking for Kleenex, I came across the review from the mom who has teenage sons:
I want to start this off by thanking Kleenex for selling these in 36-packs. I've put it on subscription, and if they want to start selling a 72-pack, sign me up. I have three reasons for needing this much Kleenex, and their names are Liam, Samuel and Hank.

This is how it goes in this house. First the Kleenex disappears. Then the toilet paper. Then they go for fabrics. And you don't want it to get there, unless you're ready to invest in a five gallon drum of Fabreeze.

This used to be a good Christian home. But it's not about moral judgment anymore. I'm way beyond that. I'm in survival mode. If I don't supply absorbent paper products, I'm going to find my dish towels hidden in the basement, stiff as aluminum. The other day, I almost cut my hand on a sock. I am sorry to speak so frankly, but with three teenage boys, a woman has got to be practical.

The funny part is, they think they're being sneaky, with their 45 minute showers and sudden need for "privacy", as if I'm going to walk in on them journaling. They slink around the house like unfixed cats, while I try to announce my location at all times. No one needs to ask me to knock anymore. I knock on the walls. I practically wear a cow bell. I'm not looking to catch anyone by surprise, believe me. I'm just trying to get through this.

The other day my husband was watching me unload the groceries, and he asks me, all sweetness and light, "Honey, what're you doing with all that Kleenex?"

I about knocked him off his chair.

Okay, so I kept wondering why her three teenage sons were blowing their noses so much.  Then I realized...

Your post made the review even funnier. 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12305 on: February 10, 2016, 06:33:11 AM »

lol, my father does. :)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12306 on: February 10, 2016, 06:52:55 AM »

Yes, I use a hanky.  Where I live you can't find new ones in stores other than huge pocket squares for men so I buy them at flea markets.   My mom also brought a ton of them from Europe when they moved to Canada so I'm pretty stocked up.

The wood fibre in the kleenex really irritates my nose so don't like it for that reason.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12307 on: February 10, 2016, 07:33:59 AM »

ooooh so the car spent it's life in stop and go traffic and constantly idling so there is probably way more wear and tear than the miles actually indicate.... lol

Highway miles generally indicate much less wear. Most highways in the US aren't gridlocked.
I believe they were implying that highway travel in major cities is about the same as repeated stop and go with intermittent idling.

I don't think that's accurate though.  Maybe during rush hour in larger cities, but it's still not as stop and go as city driving.  At least not in any of the major cities i've driven in.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #12308 on: February 10, 2016, 07:34:29 AM »
I carry and use hankies. I carry one like Ford Prefect's towel.

Yes! This!
Apparently I am allergic to air, so I need to carry two hankies at all times. And I use them constantly.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12309 on: February 10, 2016, 08:04:40 AM »

Yes, I use a hanky.  Where I live you can't find new ones in stores other than huge pocket squares for men so I buy them at flea markets.   My mom also brought a ton of them from Europe when they moved to Canada so I'm pretty stocked up.

The wood fibre in the kleenex really irritates my nose so don't like it for that reason.

I totally just buy and use massive man hankies. I have tried to buy second hand ones but they're all too small! Like barely 6" x 6". To be fair, though, the reason I carry a hanky is so that I can get a lot done in a day with just one square of cloth - nose blowing (admittedly rare unless I have an actual cold), minor bandaging, cleaning my glasses, wiping up minor spills, picking up gross things. It's an amazing multitasker. Please note that these almost never all happen on one hanky on one day... But if you have a proper hanky you can use four different corners and the middle before it starts getting a bit icky. If I had to carry around a whole pack of tissues and find a bin for them every time (even those little travel packs) I'd go nuts, but chucking a folded hanky in a pocket or bag is no big deal.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12310 on: February 10, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
My husband uses hankies too :)  I can't bring myself to do it most of the time, which is ridiculous.  They are awesome on hikes and camping trips, though. 

For Christmas he asked for hankies for himself and for putting around our dog's neck, and I think we received literally 20 hankies between our two families.  We are set for life.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12311 on: February 10, 2016, 08:20:23 AM »

Oh if I could get free taschentuecher... I'd have to buy them here (apparently you get them free?!?) and the per unit tissue price is much higher than a whole box. I'm not sure if we have kosmetiktuecher or not bc I haven't seen these in Germany so while I understand the translation, not sure we have the same thing...so I will have to carry on with my current illness strategy!

Now if you want to make some big bucks, start selling apfelschorle in the USA, shit is delicious and we don't have it!
Haha, you made me curious and I searched a bit. Second hit on Amazon.de für Kosmetiktücher is "Kleenex original" - so much for that.
It seems there is quite a big difference even in those tissues.
I dont even remember where I got my last box from. About 3 years ago ;)
Regarding Taschentücher, you need to get a big box, its cheaper then buying the single 10x thingy.
Perhaps you can have Amazon bring something like this to the US?
http://www.amazon.de/Tempo-Taschent%C3%BCcher-Klassik-T%C3%BCcher-P%C3%A4ckchen/dp/B014SY8BRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455116959&sr=8-1&keywords=taschent%C3%BCcher
Or this, with eucalyptus oil
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00897WUMW

Anyway, fold them Kosmetiktücher on the line that is there anyway and it doesnt get wet if you are fast even with the water flu.
The Taschentücher I get free if I am in the drugstore when I am there to buy my allergy medicine. (or generally if you buy something there in the flu season)

@Apfelschorle: I will tell you a secret. You can just put applejuice together with bubbly mineral water and you have Apfelschorle. If you dont mean any special sort.

The wood fibre in the kleenex
O.O you are kidding? Paper with wood fibre isnt sold here anymore since years, not to mention for thinks you use near your nose. OMG

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12312 on: February 10, 2016, 08:55:48 AM »

I realize this, but it's pretty tough to rack up 20, 30, or 40,000 miles a year in stop and go traffic. Averaging 12mph, 30,000 miles would require almost seven hours of driving a day, every day of the year.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #12313 on: February 10, 2016, 09:42:38 AM »

I totally just buy and use massive man hankies. I have tried to buy second hand ones but they're all too small! Like barely 6" x 6". To be fair, though, the reason I carry a hanky is so that I can get a lot done in a day with just one square of cloth - nose blowing (admittedly rare unless I have an actual cold), minor bandaging, cleaning my glasses, wiping up minor spills, picking up gross things. It's an amazing multitasker. Please note that these almost never all happen on one hanky on one day... But if you have a proper hanky you can use four different corners and the middle before it starts getting a bit icky. If I had to carry around a whole pack of tissues and find a bin for them every time (even those little travel packs) I'd go nuts, but chucking a folded hanky in a pocket or bag is no big deal.

I use handkerchiefs as well. SWMBO thinks I'm nuts and can't stand them- she can't understand how I can 'carry around all that snot in my pocket'. Since I am not particularly inclined toward starting arguments I generally refrain from pointing out the number of used napkins/Kleenex/TP (she uses TP primarily for blowing her nose when around the house, and whatever she can find otherwise when away from home) that she has stuffed into the pockets and such in her car.

It kind of drives me nuts at home since she will go into the bathroom and reach over the toilet to grab a few squares of TP, blow her nose in it- and then have to open the cabinet under the sink to throw the used TP into the trash can there. No amount of prodding can get her to just throw it into the toilet that she's already standing right next to for it to be flushed down the next time someone uses the toilet. It wouldn't be so bad if she would empty the trash can when she notices it's gotten full of (mostly) her used TP Kleenexes and not just keep chucking them in there. Though at least there is some remote logic to her thinking she has to throw them in the trash can and not the toilet- she grew up in a house with a septic system and they were strongly discouraged from flushing anything that didn't HAVE to be flushed.

Personally, I prefer just carrying a hankie or two. I shudder to think how many rolls of TP we'd go through if I also used it as Kleenex...

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #12314 on: February 10, 2016, 10:02:06 AM »
I have several. I cut some squares off one of my bolts of linen and hemmed them. Then at my brother's wedding in the middle of summer, I found my dad wiping his eyes and the sweat off his forehead in the receiving line outside the church, with his bare hands. Not a hanky or pocket square in sight! Handily, I had a couple in my purse, so I gave him one to use, then made a note to sew him some linen hankies for Christmas that year.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12315 on: February 10, 2016, 10:03:34 AM »

An amusing moment from my high school was a cross country meet. Someone on the women's team finished and was hugging her parents because it was her career's best and had snot and droll running down her face from the exertion. I tried to casually hand her my hanky (not wanting to embarrass the young woman). The father just broke down laughing, but all were very appreciative.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #12316 on: February 10, 2016, 10:10:08 AM »

...Snip (highway miles)...

I realize this, but it's pretty tough to rack up 20, 30, or 40,000 miles a year in stop and go traffic. Averaging 12mph, 30,000 miles would require almost seven hours of driving a day, every day of the year.

Uber?  Lyft?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12317 on: February 10, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »

Uber?  Lyft?
Sure, just like a taxi - but the vast majority of cars sold with high "highway miles" are highway miles, not 7 hours a day of stop and go.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #12318 on: February 10, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »

Absolutely. Started off when I got into a sport that involved jumping in and out of water a lot, with all your gear. Kleenex are basically useless in that circumstance, hankies work just fine. I started off using bits cut from worn out pants, but my Grandma saw me and gave me a stack of my grandfather's old ones. Does using antique, second-hand handkerchiefs make me a hipster? :)

BTW, that whole "does not disintegrate" thing is even better when you have three days of stubble that shreds kleenex into obnoxious clingy bits.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12319 on: February 10, 2016, 01:36:51 PM »
No hanky here, but sometimes I use a kerchief

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12320 on: February 10, 2016, 01:41:52 PM »
so ... a bandana?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerchief

I guess somebody should clarify that bandana is another word for a kerchief, whereas a HANDkerchief is commonly referred to as a hanky (although I've only ever heard it called that in conversation with children).

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #12321 on: February 10, 2016, 02:23:54 PM »
I have several. I cut some squares off one of my bolts of linen and hemmed them. Then at my brother's wedding in the middle of summer, I found my dad wiping his eyes and the sweat off his forehead in the receiving line outside the church, with his bare hands. Not a hanky or pocket square in sight! Handily, I had a couple in my purse, so I gave him one to use, then made a note to sew him some linen hankies for Christmas that year.
This is one of the best uses for your spare, clean handkerchief: damsel/knight in distress. Boom, clean handkerchief, and you are the hero. They are also great for outdoor winter activities.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12322 on: February 10, 2016, 02:39:17 PM »
so ... a bandana?

I guess somebody should clarify that bandana is another word for a kerchief, whereas a HANDkerchief is commonly referred to as a hanky (although I've only ever heard it called that in conversation with children).

Yup.. Why buy a small kerchief that does in your pocket when you can have a full sized one that does double duty on your head?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12323 on: February 10, 2016, 05:44:18 PM »

Absolutely. Started off when I got into a sport that involved jumping in and out of water a lot, with all your gear. Kleenex are basically useless in that circumstance, hankies work just fine. I started off using bits cut from worn out pants, but my Grandma saw me and gave me a stack of my grandfather's old ones. Does using antique, second-hand handkerchiefs make me a hipster? :)

I use my grandmother's handkerchiefs. They are starting to wear out. She died in 1992.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12324 on: February 10, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »
so ... a bandana?

Yup.. Why buy a small kerchief that does in your pocket when you can have a full sized one that does double duty on your head?

Whatever happened to just using your sleeve?  ;-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12325 on: February 10, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »
so ... a bandana?

That's what my dad used, but he called it his snot rag because he's classy that way.

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #12326 on: February 11, 2016, 04:58:02 AM »
Oh, my god, please stop with the handkerchiefs, toilet paper, bandanas and tissues! I've had to scroll through two whole pages of this garbage scanning for that oh so rare gem of an actual topic post. :P

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #12327 on: February 11, 2016, 05:37:26 AM »
Yeah but what item are you crying into, is the question.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12328 on: February 11, 2016, 05:57:03 AM »
I cry in my beer, not my snot rag...

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12329 on: February 11, 2016, 06:02:57 AM »

Uber?  Lyft?
Sure, just like a taxi - but the vast majority of cars sold with high "highway miles" are highway miles, not 7 hours a day of stop and go.
Even in speed limit highway traffic in the city (45 or 55 mph) the rush-hour congestion is so heavy that it will sometimes result in a lot of hard braking and acceleration for most (untrained/ignorant) drivers. I live in Dayton, Ohio and during rush hour there is heavy traffic all the way to Cincinnati (80-ish miles away). That means sudden braking and then hard acceleration to compensate for the loss of speed on a regular basis for most drivers for 160 miles a day for anybody that commutes between the two cities, which happens a lot more frequently than it should (in my last office, I was the only engineer that didn't live in Cincinnati out of 6). I know it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that all highway miles is worse than city miles, but in a lot of ways it causes different kinds of wear and tear on a vehicle depending on the area, and big cities happen to be the type of the area that tends to cause those kinds of wear and tear (paint damage from flying rocks, windshield chips from the same, suspension problems from uneven surfaces in construction zones, transmission wear from being in one gear at semi-high speeds all the time, engine wear from hard acceleration, brake system wear from hard braking, etc.) It is arguable that a car with high miles "all highway" is as bad as, if not worse than, a comparable car with lower miles in suburban or city traffic.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:04:53 AM by JordanOfGilead »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12330 on: February 11, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »

Uber?  Lyft?
Even in speed limit highway traffic in the city (45 or 55 mph) the rush-hour congestion is so heavy that it will sometimes result in a lot of hard braking and acceleration for most (untrained/ignorant) drivers. I live in Dayton, Ohio and during rush hour there is heavy traffic all the way to Cincinnati (80-ish miles away). That means sudden braking and then hard acceleration to compensate for the loss of speed on a regular basis for most drivers for 160 miles a day for anybody that commutes between the two cities, which happens a lot more frequently than it should (in my last office, I was the only engineer that didn't live in Cincinnati out of 6). I know it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that all highway miles is worse than city miles, but in a lot of ways it causes different kinds of wear and tear on a vehicle depending on the area, and big cities happen to be the type of the area that tends to cause those kinds of wear and tear (paint damage from flying rocks, windshield chips from the same, suspension problems from uneven surfaces in construction zones, transmission wear from being in one gear at semi-high speeds all the time, engine wear from hard acceleration, brake system wear from hard braking, etc.) It is arguable that a car with high miles "all highway" is as bad as, if not worse than, a comparable car with lower miles in suburban or city traffic.

I think we may have a fundamental difference in our perspectives of 'highway driving,' which may be the root of our disagreement.  Higher sustained speeds for longer periods of time are easier on a car than constantly accelerating/braking.  Outside of overly congested areas, "highway driving" is far different.  If somebody claimed 'highway miles' commuting in and out of NYC every day, absolutely...that's going to be a lot of wear compared to someone with an easy desert highway commute in Arizona.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1h/bl785h.htm
http://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/buying-a-used-car-why-are-highway-miles-better-225870
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2797635

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12331 on: February 11, 2016, 08:13:27 AM »
I think we may have a fundamental difference in our perspectives of 'highway driving,' which may be the root of our disagreement.  Higher sustained speeds for longer periods of time are easier on a car than constantly accelerating/braking.  Outside of overly congested areas, "highway driving" is far different.  If somebody claimed 'highway miles' commuting in and out of NYC every day, absolutely...that's going to be a lot of wear compared to someone with an easy desert highway commute in Arizona.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/buying-a-used-car-why-are-highway-miles-better-225870

Even in NYC, wouldn't highway miles be far better than NYC city miles?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12332 on: February 11, 2016, 08:18:22 AM »

Oh yeah, NYC city traffic is brutal.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #12333 on: February 11, 2016, 08:43:26 AM »
Unless you're well outside of the city, or driving at 2AM, there's not much difference.
Source: lived in Brooklyn for 5mos.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #12334 on: February 11, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »
Not so much of an "overheard" as a direct conversation, but one of the junior attorneys who works for me makes ~330K with his wife, they are 27.   He has not put a cent in to his 401K all year, and the 20K bonus went straight to his honeymoon.  I could kill him.

With that kind of money and my kind of spending I'd be a millionaire in 5 years even with my most spendypants behavior.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12335 on: February 11, 2016, 09:27:47 AM »
Unless you're well outside of the city, or driving at 2AM, there's not much difference.

Probably less chance of getting ran into if you're not spending all your time on the city streets, though - the amount of body damage on NYC cars is crazy.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #12336 on: February 11, 2016, 09:31:38 AM »
Probably less chance of getting ran into if you're not spending all your time on the city streets, though - the amount of body damage on NYC cars is crazy.
True that, but "highway miles" supposedly means less wear on powertrain components, brake systems, etc, and most body damage happens while parking/parked.

Toronto area here. My commute used to be 75km and just under an hour. The first 50 km were at 90 km/h to the freeway, then 110 km/h and took 30 minutes or so. The last 25 km took half an hour, still on the freeway, all stop & go. My office was right at the end of the exit ramp. All freeway miles when I sold my cars though.    :)
Hahaha... yeah, if by "freeway", you mean "parking lot".
I have two friends who once lived near Finch & Yonge in North York. They've since moved, but I remember the traffic. Such a blast to visit though. \m/

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12337 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
Now if you want to make some big bucks, start selling apfelschorle in the USA, shit is delicious and we don't have it!

I agree it's good, but isn't it basically equivalent to Martinelli's?

Ok I guess! But I'd like a smaller bottle. And Lennstar, solid point on mixing my own using mineral water. But I maintain you could make a lot by selling the real thing, we Americans are lazy and like convenience. 😀

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12338 on: February 11, 2016, 10:26:24 AM »
My wife's grandmother had a bunch of handkerchiefs, and when she passed a few years ago at well of 100 years old, we got them. Very useful for our daughter, who's had a runny nose for the past two months.

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12339 on: February 11, 2016, 10:32:23 AM »

I swear the body damage is for all of NY State - my 2002 vehicle had 0 dings/scrapes on it before I moved to NY in the early 2010s and within the first few months I had a few dings/scrapes - not from moving incidents just while parked in public spots. I swear that NY drivers look for vehicles without dings and try to add them - almost all cars I've seen have some sort of dings/scrapes in them.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12340 on: February 11, 2016, 10:53:40 AM »

I swear the body damage is for all of NY State - my 2002 vehicle had 0 dings/scrapes on it before I moved to NY in the early 2010s and within the first few months I had a few dings/scrapes - not from moving incidents just while parked in public spots. I swear that NY drivers look for vehicles without dings and try to add them - almost all cars I've seen have some sort of dings/scrapes in them.

No, no, you got it wrong, it has to do whith physics.

You see, the higher the density of population, the higher the density of cars. The higher the density of cars, the higher the probability of random brownian motion to ding two cars into each other just by standing still. Not to mention the gravitational waves the LIGO just announced they have detected.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #12341 on: February 11, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »
I cry in my beer, not my snot rag...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12342 on: February 11, 2016, 01:15:17 PM »

Naw, my car was pristine while I lived in NY state because I never/rarely parked on the street.  When I went to law school I parked in the street and probably lost 10% in car value as a result.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #12343 on: February 13, 2016, 01:10:16 AM »
I know a woman who bought a used car despite living very close to a train station. But I thought, hey, at least it's a used car. I caught up with her a month later and she let slip that she had actually gotten the cash to buy the car from her credit card. I don't mean she paid for it with a credit card-- I mean she took a cash advance! When I asked her if she knew how high the interest rate was for a cash advance, she said she couldn't possibly live without a car. I should note that she lives in a city where public transport is safe, reliable, abundant, and even free for her area. But nope, she drives the car every day for 30 minutes ("15 minutes without traffic!") and pays to park it close to work ("only $6 a day!").

This is the same woman who bitched and moaned because our company reimburses our company expenses two weeks after they are incurred. She was worried because she'd had to pay for ~$70 worth of expenses and she had no room on her credit card for gas!

At first I tried to help her, but quickly came to the conclusion that some people just don't want to be helped.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12344 on: February 13, 2016, 06:59:05 AM »
I know a woman who bought a used car despite living very close to a train station. But I thought, hey, at least it's a used car. I caught up with her a month later and she let slip that she had actually gotten the cash to buy the car from her credit card. I don't mean she paid for it with a credit card-- I mean she took a cash advance! When I asked her if she knew how high the interest rate was for a cash advance, she said she couldn't possibly live without a car. I should note that she lives in a city where public transport is safe, reliable, abundant, and even free for her area. But nope, she drives the car every day for 30 minutes ("15 minutes without traffic!") and pays to park it close to work ("only $6 a day!").

This is the same woman who bitched and moaned because our company reimburses our company expenses two weeks after they are incurred. She was worried because she'd had to pay for ~$70 worth of expenses and she had no room on her credit card for gas!

At first I tried to help her, but quickly came to the conclusion that some people just don't want to be helped.
That reminds me of an hourly employee at a previous job. One day she rolls into the company parking lot with a Chrysler 200, aka the car of people who make terrible money decisions. Seriously, I don't know what it is with this car, it seems to appeal to a certain demographic that doesn't have a pot to piss in yet like shiny objects. Anyway, she then proceeds to walk around for the next couple days glued to her gold iPhone, talking about going to get her hair dyed over lunch break in her new car, acting she owns the place even though she made exactly $8/hour.

Fast forward to the end of the month, when money is always tight for the hourly employees. By now it has already transpired that she had needed a down payment gift and a co-signer in the shape of her mother to get the car in the first place. The next month's payment is coming soon, and instead of admitting to the world that she is in over her head, complains about some imaginary defects of the car. All the while maintaining the princess attitude, even though she was closer to toad status than princess.

Over the weekend, she goes back to the Chrysler dealership to give the car back. It turns out that the two geniuses who signed on the dotted line didn't realize they were signing a lease, not a purchase contract. The term "lease" sprinkled all over the contract, including in the document title, didn't faze them. Neither did it didn't strike them as odd that you could buy a $23k+ car at just $200/month + fees for 3 years.

I left the company shortly after that. I can't imagine she would have the resources to make good on her payments for very long, so it's probably been repo'd since. With the insurance, gas, and various dealer fees, that stupid thing was probably pushing $350/month.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #12345 on: February 13, 2016, 07:13:42 AM »
The Kleenex has an advantage that if you need to keep it out for some reason, say on the kitchen counter, it looks nicer to guests than a roll of TP.  Maybe there's a market for decorative TP holders that dispense it upwards and slice it when you pull out a certain amount.

Until someone's TP-attacking cat, child, or spouse sticks a paw into the dispenser and gets it sliced off.
The simple solution to this would be a clamp that grabs the paper firmly enough to tear it when you pull, but not tight enough to hurt anybody.
Before putting on the holder squeeze so the cardboard is distorted and no longer round. Makes it harder to unravel so no more 'accidental' mile long lengths. 

ETA - that tip was actually overheard at work :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:17:36 AM by gallygirl »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12346 on: February 13, 2016, 07:36:38 AM »
I don't support the blatant oversimplification that ALL speed limits are set too low because of revenue, but

Correct, let me amend my earlier statement to apply to 1) interstates and 2) 2-lane highways.  Your average residential or suburban/urban street is likely set pretty close to 85th percentile and traffic'd accordingly.

Your average residential street in the USA pretty likely never had a traffic study at all but is set by local statue as some default like 30MPH.

The 85th percentile thing is a bit... vague. I dug into it a bit deeper. Here in Texas, after the traffic study the Engineer can use their discretion to modify the result by +/- 7MPH.  Traffic study says 42MPH @ 85th percentile? Lets stick that sucker at 35 and get the city some revenue.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12347 on: February 13, 2016, 09:02:03 AM »
In the UK a change in the law meant the local council got to keep the revenue instead of it going to the government.
This meant an amazing increase in interest in "road safety" and a lot of speed cameras

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #12348 on: February 13, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
I was asking one of my coworkers why when I multiply my gross pay by my contribution % the amount showing on my pay stub doesn't match what it should be.  My mistake to ask this guy, he's been here 25+ years. He responds with "yeah it's bull, why does it show that we are paying into it, it's suppose to be them paying into it."  Then he goes on to tell me how as soon as there is enough in his 401k to withdraw he borrows every dollar that he can and files for hardship so he doesn't have to repay it.

I tried to explain that with taxes and the penalty it was a bad idea for him to do that, with him contributing 6% to get the match. I'll make sure I ask payroll questions to payroll next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get an answer from payroll? My guess is that they do that post FICA and health insurance deductions if applicable. Because if the contribution rate was applied to your gross pay and you set your contribution rate to 100%, there'd be nothing left for FICA withholding, which is required by law.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12349 on: February 13, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »
...Neither did it didn't strike them as odd that you could buy a $23k+ car at just $200/month + fees for 3 years...

It's simply amazes me how many people graduated from high school without even the dimmest understanding of math beyond (truly!) simple arithmetic.