Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252928 times)

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #2850 on: June 06, 2014, 08:20:24 PM »
My federal parking lot is chock full of big gas-guzzling trucks.

A reflection of location? Trucks are probably more of a "thing" in the midwest and south.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2851 on: June 06, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
Eh, you might hear me complaining if my deposit came late.  I usually structure my financial life expecting those payments (reasonably, given that my employer is obligated to make those payments at that time).  Sure, I could move some stuff around to juggle a missed payment, but I might incur an overdraft fee somewhere and it's kinda a pain in the ass.  So in a sense, I NEED that payment.

Wouldn't it be safer to keep a few thousand or a month or 2 worth of expenses in checking? I don't see a large benefit to keeping your finances so "tight".

Yeah, I messed up recently and over paid a cc (to have a credit), no problem as I had 'slop' in the checking till next payday.  Stuff happens, but I guess is all individual and specific to your situation; to each hi(s/r) own.  Also I sleep better knowing something is always there.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2852 on: June 06, 2014, 08:40:53 PM »
a lot of people I know who think Federal employees are all overpaid. Most aren't, if you look at what they could make in the private sector, especially any employee with a professional degree. Some are (secretarial work pays much better if you work for the Federal government)

Interesting that you bring this up.  I also work in a federal facility, and the only blinged out SUV in the parking garage belongs to one of our newly hired clerical people.  All of the old 50-something PhDs making 90k/year bike or bus to work.

At the engineering company I work for the biggest truck in the parking lot belonged to the janitor for many years.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #2853 on: June 06, 2014, 09:15:28 PM »
I read this entire thread. It is sad and funny at the same time. I retired 4 years ago at the age of 51. I have a sweet pension, an almost paid off house, 2 college educations paid for in cash and zero debt. I have a great wife and two awesome kids. I have news for all of you with aspirations of early retirement. It is not nearly as easy and fun as you think. When the weather is cold or rainy I am bored shitless. I know, I know..."I wont be bored, I'm different" BULLSHIT! You will be bored.
    You will not do all this budget traveling. You wont fix everything in your house. Life still gets in the way....Do yourselves a huge favor. Find work that matters and focus on that. It will be all rosy fo a while until you realize just how important work is to your well being. And guess what? The only one happy that I am home every day is my dog!
    I wish you all luck.

Ah, yes.  Everyone's retirement will be exactly like mine.  At least you're in the right forum section!

ETA -- I'm sorry you're bored, but don't project your boredom on everyone else.  What instrument(s) do you play?  What languages do you speak?  What gourmet food do you cook?  What tricks can your dog do?  Where do you volunteer?

To answer your question...Guitar. English.Accomplished cook.My dog is old and dying.  Volunteer Fire Dept. - And I wasn't trying to project negativity. Just reality. Retirement is not all fun. It is a learned behavior. I'm well traveled, rode a bicycle from Newfoundland to Palm Beach and was an adrenaline junkie fireman in NYC for over 20 years. I kayak fish in the ocean, at night and can probably, at my middle age, still kick some ass. And I'm telling you retirement is not all its cracked up to be and people should be prepared for that.
I think this speaks more to your personality than anything.  My stepfather retired at 55.  He's 67, blissfully happy.  (At least he was until my mother died.)

Personally, I plan to work for a very long time, because I worry about boredom.  I have plenty of hobbies, etc.  But I still like to work!  Or maybe I'll retire and just be a grandma (but only if my kids don't wait as long as I do!  Will be 60 when the youngest finishes HS).

Yeah I quite like working too.  I figure after I reach FI I'll work part time somewhere.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #2854 on: June 06, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »
My manager and coworker #1 are trying to convince coworker #2 to buy a new car. They are basically harassing this guy to buy a new car. It's always the same stupid conversation too.
Misery loves company.

I hadn't thought of it like that, but I had a friend who constantly leased cars (since he updates every couple of years anyway *eye roll*), and tried to convince me to do the same. I remember asking him about how awesome it would be to not have a car payment. His response was so fatalistic, it freaked me out a bit:

I'm always going to have a car payment, so might as well get a new car out of it every couple of years.

Personally, I remember how it felt the first time I paid off a car I bought. Holy crap! It was like winning the lottery!! Now I know even more, so my fun little build thread gives me joy.

I read this entire thread. It is sad and funny at the same time. I retired 4 years ago at the age of 51. I have a sweet pension, an almost paid off house, 2 college educations paid for in cash and zero debt. I have a great wife and two awesome kids. I have news for all of you with aspirations of early retirement. It is not nearly as easy and fun as you think. When the weather is cold or rainy I am bored shitless. I know, I know..."I wont be bored, I'm different" BULLSHIT! You will be bored.
    You will not do all this budget traveling. You wont fix everything in your house. Life still gets in the way....Do yourselves a huge favor. Find work that matters and focus on that. It will be all rosy fo a while until you realize just how important work is to your well being. And guess what? The only one happy that I am home every day is my dog!
    I wish you all luck.

Funny that. My dad has been retired for about a decade, and he's not bored. He's busy and he's enjoying life. And since he's retired longer than you have, I could say that his experience trumps yours. Or, just, maybe, you know... acknowledge that people are different? :)

I'm going to go ahead and just assume that it was a warning based on his own experience. Viper mentioned that they weren't trying to be negative, just giving a head's up. That would be an interesting journey to follow though.

Hey Viper: What would you say to starting a thread in either the journal's section or the Ask a Mustachian section, documenting your efforts to get rid of that annoying boredom you are experiencing. I'd definitely be interested in that!!

I guess that because being retired bores me instead of doing meaningful work that I loved...well I guess I'm just a loser. To each his own...what do I know?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2855 on: June 06, 2014, 10:03:02 PM »
...Retirement is not all fun. It is a learned behavior. I'm well traveled, rode a bicycle from Newfoundland to Palm Beach and was an adrenaline junkie fireman in NYC for over 20 years. I kayak fish in the ocean, at night and can probably, at my middle age, still kick some ass. And I'm telling you retirement is not all its cracked up to be and people should be prepared for that.

Emphasis mine.

Viper, I appreciate your persepctive on this. However, I would never describe myself as an adrenaline junkie. I have also never in my life kicked some ass.

My point is you sound like a very different person than me - I might even say polar opposite. I've yearned for a nice quiet life for a long time. The closer I get to that, the more at peace I become. I'm truly happier when I'm less busy, when I have time to make a nice breakfast, mow the lawn, take a walk, sip coffee. I don't like to be rushed. Boredom can also be very blissful at times, but I know I will have plenty to keep me busy.

And by the way, boredom is the absolute best adjective to describe my job, so I don't think keeping my job could be any better than ER.

annann

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2856 on: June 07, 2014, 12:19:09 PM »
    I wish you all luck.

I retired 19 years ago at age 48.  I am not bored and never have been.  I did a bit of consulting the first few years but stopped when the money was not worth the stress.  DH and I live in an over 55 community where we stay so busy I wonder frequently how I ever found time to work.  If you are bored and you really need to work to be happy, go and get a job.  No one is forcing you to be bored.  I will agree with you that many folks retire without a plan of how to stay active and socially engaged and they get bored and boring but it is not a given and it is fixable.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2857 on: June 07, 2014, 02:05:09 PM »
I have heard very similar lines from CWs about the cost of fresh produce.  I think the people that say this are just trying to justify not eating healthily.  GF and I eat very little that is packaged (frozen berries and oats come in packages but that's a grey area to me.) and while we do spend quite a bit on groceries we both feel we are eating a ton of very high quality, delicious, healthy, fresh food.  I think the health benefit easily offsets the labor cost of slicing up my veggies! =)

I have found that many of these people are the same ones that eat out all of the time. I always counter back with "well the good produce is expensive, but it's still cheaper than eating out." They usually nod in agreement.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2858 on: June 07, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »
I've often heard "It's too expensive to buy vegetables because they just go bad and it's a waste."  Umm, yes, if you don't EAT them, which is kind of the whole point.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #2859 on: June 07, 2014, 03:05:01 PM »
It's too expensive to go to the movies, because you buy a ticket and then you don't watch the movie and it was a waste.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2860 on: June 07, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
I have heard very similar lines from CWs about the cost of fresh produce.  I think the people that say this are just trying to justify not eating healthily.  GF and I eat very little that is packaged (frozen berries and oats come in packages but that's a grey area to me.) and while we do spend quite a bit on groceries we both feel we are eating a ton of very high quality, delicious, healthy, fresh food.  I think the health benefit easily offsets the labor cost of slicing up my veggies! =)

I have found that many of these people are the same ones that eat out all of the time. I always counter back with "well the good produce is expensive, but it's still cheaper than eating out." They usually nod in agreement.

Where I work pretty much everybody packs there lunch. Not really to save money it's just that we are mobile and you might end up in bfe around lunch time where it is not feasible to go out to eat. But anyway I pack a lot of fresh veggies and fruits with my lunch especially in the summer. I'm always getting asked "how's that rabbit food?" Or "hey where's the beef" or something similar.  I normally have some form of meat in my lunch but it's always around 5 Oz (I do blocks). They also comment on how much our grocery bill must be buying all that produce while they are Sucking down 1000's of empty calories in processed foods (I'm guessing they don't eat for ~$300 a month) I just tell them to try it for a month and see how they like it. Have yet to get any takers

jordanread

« Reply #2861 on: June 07, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and just assume that it was a warning based on his own experience. Viper mentioned that they weren't trying to be negative, just giving a head's up. That would be an interesting journey to follow though.

Hey Viper: What would you say to starting a thread in either the journal's section or the Ask a Mustachian section, documenting your efforts to get rid of that annoying boredom you are experiencing. I'd definitely be interested in that!!

I guess that because being retired bores me instead of doing meaningful work that I loved...well I guess I'm just a loser. To each his own...what do I know?

That's kind of what I was trying to figure out. I don't hear often from those who get bored in retirement. I was merely suggesting that some may find value in how you can beat those feelings, and it would be a journal thing I would read.
The caveat being that there would need to be some desire to address (or look into) the boredom instead of complaining about it and projecting your experiences onto everyone else.

Let me know if you do that though, otherwise best of luck with the rest of your retirement.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2862 on: June 07, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »

That's kind of what I was trying to figure out. I don't hear often from those who get bored in retirement. I was merely suggesting that some may find value in how you can beat those feelings, and it would be a journal thing I would read.
The caveat being that there would need to be some desire to address (or look into) the boredom instead of complaining about it and projecting your experiences onto everyone else.

Let me know if you do that though, otherwise best of luck with the rest of your retirement.

You don't need to "beat those feelings."  If you are bored, go back to the fulfilling work that you loved.  Or complain on the internet all day, that's what works for me.

jordanread

« Reply #2863 on: June 07, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
You don't need to "beat those feelings."  If you are bored, go back to the fulfilling work that you loved.  Or complain on the internet all day, that's what works for me.

Ah. I couldn't figure out how I was coming across that was causing the type of responses I was getting. I should have been more clear. By beat the feelings, I meant a way to not be bored, which sounded in this case like going back to work that he found meaningful. It would be an interesting read. Someone who caught FIRE, and decided it wasn't for them, or took another route than the usual stuff we see around these parts. I'm not affiliated with the retirement police, nor do I donate when they call. :-).
Also, it looks like I missed a page of the conversation... Still hate navigating this site on a phone. :P

I missed the post where he clarified this wasn't just complaining and being negative. Now I'd really like to see a journal or something. Sorry for addressing something that had been answered already.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:49:07 PM by jordanread »

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #2864 on: June 08, 2014, 12:42:59 AM »
Last week I was sitting with all of my tupperware like pots at the table, having the biggest lunch of the whole table. I think that day it was chopped veggies, potato salad, grapes and bread. One of my colleagues actually complimented me with having a lunch consisting from a lot of different things. Well he was right from everyone on the table I was having the healthiest lunch. The sad part is that but one, all of the other people on the table are overweight and trying to lose weight.

Where I work pretty much everybody packs there lunch. Not really to save money it's just that we are mobile and you might end up in bfe around lunch time where it is not feasible to go out to eat. But anyway I pack a lot of fresh veggies and fruits with my lunch especially in the summer. I'm always getting asked "how's that rabbit food?" Or "hey where's the beef" or something similar.  I normally have some form of meat in my lunch but it's always around 5 Oz (I do blocks). They also comment on how much our grocery bill must be buying all that produce while they are Sucking down 1000's of empty calories in processed foods (I'm guessing they don't eat for ~$300 a month) I just tell them to try it for a month and see how they like it. Have yet to get any takers

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2865 on: June 08, 2014, 06:22:53 AM »
Anyone else feel left out of this thread because they work with reasonable people?

lol, yes, that's why I posted a positive story above, about an attempt to go thrift store shopping with a coworker for our first "non-work" activity.  Some of my coworkers are a little nutty - just learned one coworker has *three* houses (even if at least 1, maybe more are in cheap areas), and while he's in the twilight of his career, he's akin to a paralegal, working for the state, so not that rich and wealthy.  But most are reasonable, with a few more MMM than me, biking every day, bringing food every day, and thrift shopping all furniture purchases, living in smaller spaces, etc.

Several people I work with do not have cable tv. A couple are purposely unplugged at home. Cars are just cars to them.

The high rollers are many around here.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #2866 on: June 09, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
My federal parking lot is chock full of big gas-guzzling trucks.

A reflection of location? Trucks are probably more of a "thing" in the midwest and south.

The parking lot at my building (federal offices) is definitely a reflection of location--Texas, specifically. Lots of trucks. It's a way of life. That said, there are folks in my particular office driving older, economy cars with no car payments. And I do get a lot of compliments for biking to work. Nobody yet has decided to do the same, but at least folks don't think it's weird.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2867 on: June 09, 2014, 06:29:50 PM »
1. Our admin assistant (makes about $60k/yr and drives a three series bmw while paying $1500/month in rent) and I were on a plane for a biz trip. The stewardess tells her to put her uber-designer bag on the floor under the seat in front of her to prepare for landing. The admin says to me, "this PURSE cost $4,000... UGH!!!!" To which without missing a beat knowing that I make several times her salary, "OMG! Your handbag is worth more than my CAR!!! (2000 avalon, 153k miles, goin strong) She was horrified at my *impoverished* vehicle and I was just laughing and laughing.
This reminds me of when I talk about my (photographer) girlfriend taking my car to a photoshoot and I say "putting her camera on the passenger seat triples the value of the car".  People don't always get it right away.  My car's worth about a grand, and she's usually got about two grand in camera equipment on her.  When you're a photographer, having a fantastic camera is important.  Having fancy car is not.  People don't get that, and sometimes don't even spend where they think their priorities are.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #2868 on: June 10, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »
As I was leaving work last night, I overheard this conversation.  All three are engineers, with 1-2 kids each.  Having a stay at home wife is a status symbol around here, all three follow that logic too.  This conversation was about home buying.

CW1: I really need at least a 4 BR home, plus an office.
CW 2:  Or you can get a 5 BR and convert one into an office.  then you'd have an extra closet to store stuff.
CW 3: Don't forget, you need at least one extra room to store all the kids toys!

I think I began convulsing as I walked past this conversation...

A few weeks ago, one very young and loud co-worker talking to a peer:

Young CW 1:  If you see our dept manager, please let me know, he's been avoiding me and I really need to talk to him!

CW2: Why do you think he's avoiding you?

Young CW 1: Well, I asked (another peer) to let him know I needed to talk to him.  I didn't buy a home warranty program when I bought my former rental a few months ago, b/c my friends did and they had horrible experiences with the warranty program.  My central air unit just died, and I need to finance a new one now, b/c I don't have any money, so I need to talk to our dept manager to get a raise.

Since this Young co-worker advertises everything she does very loudly, I know that she bought the house from her former landlord, it's her first purchase, and it needs work.  She thinks she got a good deal, but she didn't shop anywhere else, b/c moving is too expensive.  She figures in a few years she can sell it and move to a bigger, better house anyway.  Then she proceeded to spend $2,300 on a scratch & dent SS fridge, b/c it was one of those french door ones and the original price was $3K, so it was a good deal!  Yes, this was a financed purchase as well, barely a week after closing.  She drives a late model Honda Accord, also financed.  Her role is hourly, not salary, and the benefits package is much leaner for hourly employees.  The hourly rates are not high at all, probably $15/hr.  She leaves early on Fridays all the time.

Her peers all support her decisions, and loudly comment back on the good deals and what else she should spend money on.  Money she clearly does not have!  Wish I could have heard the conversation w/her boss about that raise.  The company is notoriously stingy on raises, and hourly employees do not qualify for the bonus plan.  Not to mention that we don't live in a world where you get a raise b/c an unplanned expense popped up!

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #2869 on: June 10, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »
As I was leaving work last night, I overheard this conversation.  All three are engineers, with 1-2 kids each.  Having a stay at home wife is a status symbol around here, all three follow that logic too.  This conversation was about home buying.

CW1: I really need at least a 4 BR home, plus an office.
CW 2:  Or you can get a 5 BR and convert one into an office.  then you'd have an extra closet to store stuff.
CW 3: Don't forget, you need at least one extra room to store all the kids toys!

I think I began convulsing as I walked past this conversation...

A few weeks ago, one very young and loud co-worker talking to a peer:

Young CW 1:  If you see our dept manager, please let me know, he's been avoiding me and I really need to talk to him!

CW2: Why do you think he's avoiding you?

Young CW 1: Well, I asked (another peer) to let him know I needed to talk to him.  I didn't buy a home warranty program when I bought my former rental a few months ago, b/c my friends did and they had horrible experiences with the warranty program.  My central air unit just died, and I need to finance a new one now, b/c I don't have any money, so I need to talk to our dept manager to get a raise.

Since this Young co-worker advertises everything she does very loudly, I know that she bought the house from her former landlord, it's her first purchase, and it needs work.  She thinks she got a good deal, but she didn't shop anywhere else, b/c moving is too expensive.  She figures in a few years she can sell it and move to a bigger, better house anyway.  Then she proceeded to spend $2,300 on a scratch & dent SS fridge, b/c it was one of those french door ones and the original price was $3K, so it was a good deal!  Yes, this was a financed purchase as well, barely a week after closing.  She drives a late model Honda Accord, also financed.  Her role is hourly, not salary, and the benefits package is much leaner for hourly employees.  The hourly rates are not high at all, probably $15/hr.  She leaves early on Fridays all the time.

Her peers all support her decisions, and loudly comment back on the good deals and what else she should spend money on.  Money she clearly does not have!  Wish I could have heard the conversation w/her boss about that raise.  The company is notoriously stingy on raises, and hourly employees do not qualify for the bonus plan.  Not to mention that we don't live in a world where you get a raise b/c an unplanned expense popped up!

LMAO. Need 911? On 2nd thought, I'll drive you to the hospital. No need to cough up $1000 for a taxi ride.

Waternstone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2870 on: June 10, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »

That is completely insane! I'm amazed they approved her for a mortgage and car loan based on her wages and apparent debt!!!

KingMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2871 on: June 10, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »
A CW is into gold. Really into gold. All his money was put into gold and gold-related stocks. He has never been married/divorced or had kids and has worked his entire life and isn't extravagant, so he should have a gigantic stash.  BUT he borrowed money to invest more in gold-related stocks. The stocks are in the crapper, and gold prices are down, so he's working to pay off his loans.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2872 on: June 10, 2014, 10:56:44 PM »
I walked out of my meeting today with 401(k) plan lady and a coworker jokingly asked "Did she say you'll be able to retire when you're 90?"  I stumbled for a second, considered a really snarky dickish reply, then recovered and laughed it off and said "No, when I'm 190!"  He'd have skipped a beat if I'd said 30, maybe 35, but I don't need that assault.  He's the up-to-eyeballs-in-debt-at-37-and-two-kids, and I truly feel bad for him.  He'd get too defensive and rationalizing.

Yooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2873 on: June 11, 2014, 06:44:35 AM »
On my way to work this morning I saw some guy pass me in the fast lane. His license plate said something like "WORKSUX" and he was driving a big Ford 4x4. I just judged until I couldn't see him anymore.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2874 on: June 11, 2014, 07:47:53 AM »
On my way to work this morning I saw some guy pass me in the fast lane. His license plate said something like "WORKSUX" and he was driving a big Ford 4x4. I just judged until I couldn't see him anymore.

I wouldn't want him to be my employee if his negative attitude is that apparent...

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2875 on: June 11, 2014, 07:48:33 AM »

I wouldn't want him to be my employee if his negative attitude is that apparent...

He could work with Vacuums and it could be a play on words..

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2876 on: June 11, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »

He could work with Vacuums and it could be a play on words..

Or he works at Sioux Gateway Airport.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #2877 on: June 11, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »

Made me LOL.

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2878 on: June 11, 2014, 10:20:47 AM »
"...but I NEED my 4x4 (Suburban) to get around in the winter."

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2879 on: June 11, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »
"...but I NEED my 4x4 (Suburban) to get around in the winter."

I know many people that need a 4x4 to get around in the winter. Or the spring or fall or summer, for that matter. But then again, I know many people who live and work on farms with a dirt road if you're lucky.

Do you haul cattle or something?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2880 on: June 11, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »
My co-workers are mostly normal. Not particularly frugal, but no amazing stories like some of you are telling here either. Some co-workers are into expensive jewellery and/or designer clothes, but all of them also earn 100k+ and retirement savings are mandatory here. A friend at work just bought a vacation home in the mountains for half a million. Sounds crazy at the first glance, but then she is married and I'd estimate their combined yearly income at ca 300k. It might even be a good investment as prices for homes in ski resorts tend to go only up.

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2881 on: June 11, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
I know many people that need a 4x4 to get around in the winter. Or the spring or fall or summer, for that matter. But then again, I know many people who live and work on farms with a dirt road if you're lucky.

Do you haul cattle or something?

Nope, we're all office jockeys.  And the only 'hills' around here are enough to be a moderate workout to bicyclists, but almost unnoticeable to gas-powered vehicles.  Thankfully, most folks at the office drive moderate cars.  I've gotten around in a small FWD car just fine, with what seems like laser-thin tires.  You'd have to drive for quite a bit to get to a dirt road from here in any direction.

The coworker I was referring to drives that monster vehicle with no family to truck around.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #2882 on: June 11, 2014, 06:47:33 PM »
Not really an "overheard" but I a brief conversation with a senior engineer hear today:

CW: So do you have any big plans for all the over time you've been working? (he likely doesn't know exact numbers just that my partner and I have been working TONS; this pay period is over 40 hours of over-time.)
Me: (with some laughter) Retiring at 15 years!
CW: That's the smart answer!

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #2883 on: June 12, 2014, 06:54:42 AM »
Not overheard, but actually said to me by a supervisor: "Take a couple of minutes and enter the 'pronostiek' (a kind of gamble in which you have to gamble which team is going to win etc. My answer: Euhm...no." The pronostiek is organised by someone at my job who put a lot of time in it. I am sorry for that person, but honestly don't think a supervisor should tell you to participate in it during work time and pay to participate.

Overheard earlier this week: "I have to buy new groceries, there really isn't anything in the fridge left anymore. When I opened it this morning everything smelled so I had to toss it." Granted this person makes more than I do, but still not a very high wage (in Belgian standards, which are already lower than those in the US).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2884 on: June 12, 2014, 07:39:37 AM »
I am sorry for that person, but honestly don't think a supervisor should tell you to participate in it during work time and pay to participate.

In certain parts of the US business world there are laws against precisely this.  I work in the military which falls under several US federal labor laws and urging an employee to spend money on something particularly during business hours is illegal.  Just to cover his bases the Colonel I used to work for waited until lunch time to individually ask the staff if anyone was interested in playing fantasy football* that season.

*It's an internet-based virtual football league where you build a team of real players with their up to date stats loaded and during the regular season their actual performance translates into the wins and losses for your "team."

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2885 on: June 12, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »
We were talking about kids who get through college early and start careers around age 18. Guy says, "They're gonna have to work forever!"

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #2886 on: June 12, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »
Overheard 3 coworkers, (2 from Italy and 1 from England even though our office is in the USA), discussing what channels the World Cup would be broadcast on:
cw1: "I think it might be on ESPN 3. You can watch it online if you have Comcast."
cw2: "I don't have Comcast. I just got an antenna."
cw1: "What?! You're not really American if you don't have 500 channels."
cw3(joking): "I have 380 channels and just watch Netflix."

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #2887 on: June 12, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
A co-worker who turned 60 this year was talking about retirement. At his age he can take his pension without any penalty and has been with the organization 30 years so has a 60% pension (2% per year of service). His wife has a similar pension from the same organization. He doesn't think they can afford to retire just yet as the pay cut is too great and they would have to downsize the house significantly to reduce their mortgage...

The Hamster

• Stubble
  • Vivere intus vestri mediis
« Reply #2888 on: June 12, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
I finally have an "overheard at work" story.

Context - my company has recently lost the maintenance contract for one site, and many of our long term workers are being offered contracts with the new maintenance company.  Some permanent workers are due to get a good redundancy but only if they don't resign from my company before the end date of the contract 31st July.  The new company is offering contracts that start before this so these workers (mainly older guys in their late 50s) stand to lose their redundancy or potentially miss out on a job with the new company.

CW - I don't want to miss out on the job with XXX company but I can't afford to give up the redundancy - I'm owed over $50,000!  Who could ever save that sort of money!

Mind you these guys have been working in the oil and gas industry for at least 10 years and are on minimum $120,000.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2889 on: June 12, 2014, 05:42:27 PM »
A co-worker who turned 60 this year was talking about retirement. At his age he can take his pension without any penalty and has been with the organization 30 years so has a 60% pension (2% per year of service). His wife has a similar pension from the same organization. He doesn't think they can afford to retire just yet as the pay cut is too great and they would have to downsize the house significantly to reduce their mortgage...

To be fair, assuming you will live 30 years, 2% salary at 4% SWR is like getting a 50% pay raise.  Adjust down for worse mortality

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #2890 on: June 13, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
I work for a software engineering outfit in the snowy part of the midwest. The company pays well but the cost of living is so low that most of the people who work here are always finding new and innovative ways to waste their money. Today, the topic of the GM Camero recall came up on IRC:

Code: [Select]
<foo> yeah I saw that.  looks like i'll be taking mine to the dealer :(
<bar> that's your camaro?
<foo> the black one, yes
<bar> nice
<foo> thanks, it's been fun in the summer.  not so much when there is snow on the ground
<bar> yeah I have a winter car too
<foo> yeah i'll have to get a beater for the winter.  i bought that one back in like feb and did not realize just how bad it was in the snow
<baz> at least get snow tires
<baz> may be less expensive than a beater car
<foo> i'll look into that too. ive heard good things about camaro's winter tires
<bar> yeah winter tires are supposed to hellp a lot
<bar> i'm gonna get winter tires this year
<qux> let me know if you find some good beaters
<qux> im looking for one myself
<qux> i handled well in the winter but i don't want to keep subjecting my challenger to it.

TL;DR these kids go out and buy luxury sports cars which are totally unsuitable for daily driving for 1/3 of the year. And now they talk like it's completely reasonable and sane to go out and buy a second car, just to have on hand for winter commuting when the roads aren't completely clear.

MorningCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2891 on: June 13, 2014, 12:49:26 PM »
We were talking about kids who get through college early and start careers around age 18. Guy says, "They're gonna have to work forever!"

hahahahahahaha... love it!

lsaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2892 on: June 13, 2014, 03:33:31 PM »
I work at a large county government complex it has multiple buildings and takes over a couple of city blocks.  I ride my bike to the office daily, store my bike in my cubicle and usually share the elevator with somebody coming and going from work.  I'm not a subtle bike rider, I'm a helmet wearing, lights flashing, safety vest wearing even in the middle of a bright day kinda cyclist.  I also power walk the hall ways during my morning and afternoon breaks (it feels a little old lady-esque but it's fun and gets my wiggles out from sitting in my cubicle too long.)

Today I had three people that work in the building comment on my biking/walking when I passed them in the hallway. I don't really know these people because the complex is huge but I see them coming and going.

CW1: Points at me while I'm walking and exclaims "bicyclist!?!" I respond with "That's me!" :D (I think she sort of recognized me but wasn't sure without my whole bike riding get up)

CW2: "You walk too?" I responded with "haha, yup, I like to move!" (Before this encounter I had only seen this person in the elevator when I had my bike with me)

CW3: "So cycling isn't enough for you?" I responded with "Nope!"

I guess there are worse things to be known for :D.

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #2893 on: June 13, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »
...totally unsuitable for daily driving for 1/3 of the year. And now they talk like it's completely reasonable and sane to go out and buy a second car, just to have on hand for winter commuting when the roads aren't completely clear.

All of you are wrong :) Car guy consensus is that pretty much any car* can handle snow and icy roads with a good set of snow tires. The reason people buy winter beaters is to avoid salt damage and damage from other fools that can't drive/don't have snow tires. Yes, these guys bought silly cars, but if they just get another set of wheels with the right tires they can drive them year round.

*perhaps not super-low cars that might scrape their front air dam on the snow piles, but the vast majority of all production cars do not fall into this category -- like the Camaro and Challenger
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 04:32:52 PM by Winston »

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2894 on: June 13, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »
...totally unsuitable for daily driving for 1/3 of the year. And now they talk like it's completely reasonable and sane to go out and buy a second car, just to have on hand for winter commuting when the roads aren't completely clear.

All of you are wrong :) Car guy consensus is that pretty much any car* can handle snow and icy roads with a good set of snow tires. The reason people buy winter beaters is to avoid salt damage and damage from other fools that can't drive/don't have snow tires. Yes, these guys bought silly cars, but if they just get another set of wheels with the right tires they can drive them year round.

*perhaps not super-low cars that might scrape their front air dam on the snow piles, but the vast majority of all production cars do not fall into this category -- like the Camaro and Challenger

The whole point of buying an adorable roadster (other than the adorable part) is to be able to say the following two sentences:

"I would love to carpool everyone to the ____  but you know my car only seats two people. Perhaps someone else could drive?" 

and

"I'm going to have to work from home today. My adorable convertible doesn't like <snow, rain, hail, angry clouds, etc.>"

Of course I live in a fairly warm climate so it isn't even close to 1/3 of the year that my car prefers to stay home. And yes, I'm aware that having a bicycle as my primary vehicle would be even better but this is a profoundly unsafe environment for bicycles.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:18:21 PM by carolyn »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2895 on: June 14, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »

The whole point of buying an adorable roadster (other than the adorable part) is to be able to say the following two sentences:

"I would love to carpool everyone to the ____  but you know my car only seats two people. Perhaps someone else could drive?" 

and

"I'm going to have to work from home today. My adorable convertible doesn't like <snow, rain, hail, angry clouds, etc.>"

Of course I live in a fairly warm climate so it isn't even close to 1/3 of the year that my car prefers to stay home. And yes, I'm aware that having a bicycle as my primary vehicle would be even better but this is a profoundly unsafe environment for bicycles.
Oh no you don't, you don't get to say the above and then not reveal what kind of adorable 2 seater you have. Humor me, I love roadsters.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2896 on: June 14, 2014, 07:07:43 PM »

and

Oh no you don't, you don't get to say the above and then not reveal what kind of adorable 2 seater you have. Humor me, I love roadsters.

I love them as well. It is a very good thing that my husband has no interest in cars and restrains me from my silly clown car desires. It is a Saturn Sky, which looks to my eyes like an adorable cartoon car. This is pretty much exactly what mine looks like (though it has a few more scratches than the one in the photo). It is ours free and clear and we do not drive much so I expect I will have it for the next 20 years. So not mustachian but not ridiculously wasteful as these things go.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2897 on: June 15, 2014, 08:18:57 PM »
Chatting with a coworker who started a new role:

CW: I miss downtown 
CW: I miss having Starbucks in my office lobby 
Me: haha... your caffeine hit 
CW: yes, now I have to resort to using a ..... coffee pot 
Me: the horror!
CW: actually, it's not so bad... they have Keurigs here.

She was mostly joking... but still... we are in finance.
I am not a coffee drinker but at my job we have Keurigs and Flavia coffee machines. I use the Keurigs for hot tea though, the Lemon Zinger is good. With that said it still amazes me that people still come to work with Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts or some other coffee when you get what should be great free coffee.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2898 on: June 15, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »

I love them as well. It is a very good thing that my husband has no interest in cars and restrains me from my silly clown car desires. It is a Saturn Sky, which looks to my eyes like an adorable cartoon car. This is pretty much exactly what mine looks like (though it has a few more scratches than the one in the photo). It is ours free and clear and we do not drive much so I expect I will have it for the next 20 years. So not mustachian but not ridiculously wasteful as these things go.

Ah, the Skye and Pontiac Solstice are the two I've narrowed it down to, the convertible that I'll never get.  :) I like the front end of the Pontiac better, but love the rear end of the Skye. In red, of course!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2899 on: June 15, 2014, 10:28:12 PM »

Ah, the Skye and Pontiac Solstice are the two I've narrowed it down to, the convertible that I'll never get.  :) I like the front end of the Pontiac better, but love the rear end of the Skye. In red, of course!

So you like the more serious look of the Solstice? They are the identical car except for the styling on the front and back, I think. I feel very fortunate to have mine. I'm pretty sure she smiles at me whenever I drive her. Though if i could move back to a place where I could bicycle or walk to work (or not work and just bicycle an walk to my errands) that would be ideal. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!