Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252481 times)

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #4350 on: September 29, 2014, 12:16:35 PM »
I haven't personally tried it, but I have a co-worker that says that the Ikea milk frother works really well. Not a bad idea to see if it would work for you for 2.50.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10076320/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4351 on: September 29, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
My hack is to suck it up and drink it black.

My hack is to just not drink it.

Water is delicious, and free.

I did laugh at Nords' story.  :D

This. I never started drinking coffee in the first place. Same with alcohol. I figured if I ever got hooked on either it'd be too expensive. I haven't enjoyed the small amounts I've tried, so I figure I'm not missing out anyway.

Coffee at work is free.  Large can of folgers will make my weekend coffee for months for less than $10.  Coffee is hardly an expensive habit.  Alcohol on the other hand...

I like my alcohol with plenty of sugar and milk.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4352 on: September 29, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »
"We wanted to get our daughter something special for her sixth birthday, something she'll always remember. We found these adorable diamond earrings for under a thousand, but we figured she may be too young for that type of responsibility. Maybe for her eighth..."

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4353 on: September 29, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »
"We wanted to get our daughter something special for her sixth birthday, something she'll always remember. We found these adorable diamond earrings for under a thousand, but we figured she may be too young for that type of responsibility. Maybe for her eighth..."

Ouch.  OK, I'm a bit anti-diamond in general but that's brutal...

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #4354 on: September 29, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »

This. I never started drinking coffee in the first place. Same with alcohol. I figured if I ever got hooked on either it'd be too expensive. I haven't enjoyed the small amounts I've tried, so I figure I'm not missing out anyway.

I enjoy me some alcohol. In moderation, of course.

My hack for booze is to make it myself.  My favourite drink is mead, which if you can even find it in a liquor store, is usually $25/bottle or more.  Honey, on the other hand, is about $40 for 15lbs, which makes ~30 bottles. Add in yeast, yeast nutrients, and corks and you're looking at under $50 for 30 bottles. Given I drink about 2-3 bottles a week, at $1.66 per bottle I'm out less than 5 dollars a week, on average, for adult beverages. Totally worth it to me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4355 on: September 29, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »

My hack for booze is to make it myself.  My favourite drink is mead, which if you can even find it in a liquor store, is usually $25/bottle or more.  Honey, on the other hand, is about $40 for 15lbs, which makes ~30 bottles. Add in yeast, yeast nutrients, and corks and you're looking at under $50 for 30 bottles. Given I drink about 2-3 bottles a week, at $1.66 per bottle I'm out less than 5 dollars a week, on average, for adult beverages. Totally worth it to me.

Wait, what's the standard drink equivalent of a bottle? Like 1bottle=1 beer?  Or 1 bottle = 5 glasses of wine?

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4356 on: September 29, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »
Yes, I drink water all day and it tastes just fine to me.  I also drink tea, brewed from whole tea leaves, purchased in bulk quite inexpensively at my indian grocery store. I don't drink much alcohol at all.  I just happen to like cappuccinos - fell for it after a trip to Italy many moons ago.  I don't have to have it everyday, though I go through phases when I do.  Currently in that phase :)  You can facepunch me all you want, but I am not giving it up.
So no hacks for the foam then?

It's not a hack if it costs $100, but my Nespresso Aeroccino makes great foam. And that crema on my espresso from the Nespresso coffee maker...yum. Takes me back to Italy w/every cup!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4357 on: September 29, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »
Yes, I drink water all day and it tastes just fine to me.  I also drink tea, brewed from whole tea leaves, purchased in bulk quite inexpensively at my indian grocery store. I don't drink much alcohol at all.  I just happen to like cappuccinos - fell for it after a trip to Italy many moons ago.  I don't have to have it everyday, though I go through phases when I do.  Currently in that phase :)  You can facepunch me all you want, but I am not giving it up.

It's not a hack if it costs $100, but my Nespresso Aeroccino makes great foam. And that crema on my espresso from the Nespresso coffee maker...yum. Takes me back to Italy w/every cup!

You can get foam on espresso by using a measuring cup, sugar, and strong arms. Yes you can! Cubans have perfected the technique. I'm not sure if it works with non-Cuban espresso beans, but try this trick to get a nice foam on your coffee. Plus, it wins you badass points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CQVzWfB_Ok
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_espresso

Add warm milk to it to get cafe con leche, aka cafe latte (but much cheaper). Come to Miami if you want to see it done in person.

The trick is to get the first few drops of coffee that come out of the moka pot into the sugar and whisk away with a spoon. For some reason, those first few drops are the only ones that get you a really good foam. The texture you want before adding the whole pot in is a nice creamy sticky gook that is so thick you can lift it with the spoon (before the rest of the liquid is added). It's definitely an art to learn, but once you do you will never go pay fancypants money for one at Starbucks.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:12:18 PM by Daisy »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4358 on: September 29, 2014, 08:19:06 PM »
Try the Indian filter coffee (locally called 'kaapi') method as well... It can be made as frothy as you want and is usually cafe latte because Indians love milk.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_filter_coffee

I got hooked on it when I was eleven and its still going strong

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #4359 on: September 29, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »
Asked my boss how her long weekend was:
"Lovely. If I could afford to retire, I would".

I'm still scratching my head on how she can't afford to retire, given that she has no kids or student loan debt. Not to mention she has 2-3 other jobs on top of this one...

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #4360 on: September 30, 2014, 01:10:37 AM »
A coworker told me that he just had to have an operation to have kidneystones removed. His doctor told him that he won't have kidneystone problems if he doesn't get over his soda addiction (18+ cans a day!!!).

He told me that he has been able to to get down to 12-16 a day by drinking energy drinks and flavored water. He buys most of his sodas by the can because he can't store that many sodas in his fridge and doesn't want to have to cary a bag to work.

Our vending machines sell a can of soda for $1. I don't understand how anyone would pay that much money to create a very painful and expensive problem for themselves.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4361 on: September 30, 2014, 01:39:34 AM »
Sugar addiction. Same mechanics as in alcohol and tobacco and... with the additional problem that nobody sees this as an addiction, There is also no sugar therapy anywhere as far as I know. But sugar makes for a lot of direct (diabetics) and indirect (feeling down if you are not sugered up etc.) illnesses.

I had an "non-alcohol induced (I dont drink alcohol) fatty liver" that was very likely not from fatty eating but from sugared drinks. I stopped that, mostly drink water since then and the fatty liver got down to normal in 2-3 years without changing anything else. I still indulge in potato chips and ice cream every week.

Getting away from sugar (drinks) is probably the most helpful advice you can give the average american (and, to a bit lesser extend, everyone else).

bluecheeze

• Stubble
« Reply #4362 on: September 30, 2014, 03:02:20 AM »
My boss handed me an envelope to put money in for a co-worker who is leaving the company.  It lists everyone in the department's name and you write how much you donated- so everyone can see it.  The envelope says "$50 minimum".

This happens at least once a month.  I am astonished at how many peole willingly give money to co-workers simply because they are retiring/got a new job.  Some people give upwards of $100.  I don't even know 90% of the people I work with and I would never consider giving them $10.  I might take 1 or 2 of my co-workers to lunch but thats it.  Everytime it comes around I put a big fat zero by name.  The frusterating thing is this time the boss came around and handed it to me personally saying "It's not required but you should really consider it".  Kind of unprofessional tbh- as they really pressure you to "donate" and I am pretty sure it is reflected in rankings and the management opinion of you.

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4363 on: September 30, 2014, 03:22:48 AM »
My boss handed me an envelope to put money in for a co-worker who is leaving the company.  It lists everyone in the department's name and you write how much you donated- so everyone can see it.  The envelope says "$50 minimum".

This happens at least once a month.  I am astonished at how many peole willingly give money to co-workers simply because they are retiring/got a new job.  Some people give upwards of $100.  I don't even know 90% of the people I work with and I would never consider giving them $10.  I might take 1 or 2 of my co-workers to lunch but thats it.  Everytime it comes around I put a big fat zero by name.  The frusterating thing is this time the boss came around and handed it to me personally saying "It's not required but you should really consider it".  Kind of unprofessional tbh- as they really pressure you to "donate" and I am pretty sure it is reflected in rankings and the management opinion of you.

What?! That was a strange thing to do.. I mean, what are you (they) paying for? Paying him to leave the company? Or is it a gift for the accomplishment of leaving the comapany?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4364 on: September 30, 2014, 03:36:07 AM »

o.O wow. If someone leaves our organisation or retires, there's usually an envelope for money and a card to be signed and NO expectations that you have to put in money or sign the card. If you're in the same team as the person, then you're expected to sign the card, but the money side is purely optional, and most people only put in a few dollars.

$50 minimum is crazy! I barely spend that on hubby's birthday gift, let alone someone I barely know.

bluecheeze

• Stubble
« Reply #4365 on: September 30, 2014, 03:45:20 AM »

What?! That was a strange thing to do.. I mean, what are you (they) paying for? Paying him to leave the company? Or is it a gift for the accomplishment of leaving the comapany?
Part of it is for a lunch and the rest goes towards a cash gift.  I just skip the lunch (which I am on my own diet anyway so I wouldn't even eat if it was free).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:47:30 AM by bluecheeze »

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4366 on: September 30, 2014, 06:13:51 AM »
Sugar addiction. Same mechanics as in alcohol and tobacco and... with the additional problem that nobody sees this as an addiction, There is also no sugar therapy anywhere as far as I know. But sugar makes for a lot of direct (diabetics) and indirect (feeling down if you are not sugered up etc.) illnesses.

I had an "non-alcohol induced (I dont drink alcohol) fatty liver" that was very likely not from fatty eating but from sugared drinks. I stopped that, mostly drink water since then and the fatty liver got down to normal in 2-3 years without changing anything else. I still indulge in potato chips and ice cream every week.

Getting away from sugar (drinks) is probably the most helpful advice you can give the average american (and, to a bit lesser extend, everyone else).

Sugar addictions are the worst.

I had a Mt. Dew addiction for several years.  I realized how addicted I was when the simple act of having a can/bottle near by calmed my nerves.  I didn't actually have to drink it, just have it close by.  I quit at the moment I realized that and haven't had a single soda since then.  That was almost  5 years ago. 

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4367 on: September 30, 2014, 07:22:44 AM »

Wow.  Never heard of that before.  Generally we give a person a card, maybe the closest co workers take the person out for lunch or a happy hour afterwards, but nothing like this.  I would protest too!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4368 on: September 30, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »
...Everytime it comes around I put a big fat zero by name.  The frusterating thing is this time the boss came around and handed it to me personally saying "It's not required but you should really consider it".  Kind of unprofessional tbh- as they really pressure you to "donate" and I am pretty sure it is reflected in rankings and the management opinion of you.

This is awful, and good for you for proudly listing your $0. I can barely contemplate this scenario!

I am a "boss" and some years ago when the inevitable cards and money grabs made the rounds, I learned that some of the employees in my department had taken it upon themselves to dictate that only those who put money in the kitty could sign the card. Finding that stupid and ungenerous of spirit, I put a stop to that idea and made certain that anyone in the office was welcome to sign a congratulatory greeting card.

And a few years later I just put a stop to the whole damned thing of collecting money--ever. Now, no one circulates an envelope for money regardless of the office celebration or the employee's occasion.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:01:00 AM by iris lily »

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #4369 on: September 30, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »
A coworker told me that he just had to have an operation to have kidneystones removed. His doctor told him that he won't have kidneystone problems if he doesn't get over his soda addiction (18+ cans a day!!!).

He told me that he has been able to to get down to 12-16 a day by drinking energy drinks and flavored water. He buys most of his sodas by the can because he can't store that many sodas in his fridge and doesn't want to have to cary a bag to work.

Our vending machines sell a can of soda for $1. I don't understand how anyone would pay that much money to create a very painful and expensive problem for themselves.

We have a girl like this at work.  I've never heard her say anything anti-mustachian but she's the one I'm watching for a story to post.  I don't know if she gets up to 18 a day, but she does bring in 3-4 cans to work.  1 -2 in the morning, plus whatever large fountain drink she gets with her (always fast food) lunch, then 1-2 in the afternoon. 

Then she is always complaining about vague "stomach issues".  I can't even talk to her aside from what I need to say to her for work.

jordanread

« Reply #4370 on: September 30, 2014, 09:13:32 AM »

Wait, what's the standard drink equivalent of a bottle? Like 1bottle=1 beer?  Or 1 bottle = 5 glasses of wine?

That's what I was thinking too. Granted, when I drink wine, I find it usually doesn't make it to a glass. I'm super classy like that, since I put an aerator on it and drink from the bottle. :-)

For those with the sugar bit, there is something rattling around in my head that was something to do with the addiction, and methods to break it, but I can't find it.

Oh, and back on topic: I was out visiting with arebelspy in Las Vegas, and as I was walking through a casino with a friend, I saw a lady at the slot machines, putting in more and more money. Her shirt said "Work Over Wishing"...

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #4371 on: September 30, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »

Sugar addictions are the worst.

I had a Mt. Dew addiction for several years.  I realized how addicted I was when the simple act of having a can/bottle near by calmed my nerves.  I didn't actually have to drink it, just have it close by.  I quit at the moment I realized that and haven't had a single soda since then.  That was almost  5 years ago.

Same here, we had $0.25 cans available at one of my old offices and I would have 2-4 every day. I never thought about it but you're totally right, just having the can on the desk was really calming. I was having trouble sleeping I would have so much caffeine in my system. I went cold turkey on all caffeine and carbonated sodas 4 years ago and feel better than ever. Been so long, a cup of strong tea will give me the shakes.

I will admit the coolest part of being caffeine free is that I never need an alarm to wake up and I have awesome dreams I remember just about every night. About 1/4 of the time they are lucid too.

Patrick A

• Stubble
« Reply #4372 on: September 30, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
I haven't personally tried it, but I have a co-worker that says that the Ikea milk frother works really well. Not a bad idea to see if it would work for you for 2.50.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10076320/

A large measuring cup and a whisk works splendid as well (and you don't have to buy anything).  I don't actually drink much coffee but my wife seems to love my frugal coffee making skillz. 

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #4373 on: September 30, 2014, 09:50:03 AM »
Years ago (when the exchange was very favorable) on my way in to Canada I was asked if I had more than 10K in Canadian currency.  I chuckled and said "not sure, I haven't counted up the change in the ash tray".  That got me a lengthy stop and search...
[/quote]

One way to get stopped into the US is to have a stamp in your passport from visiting Cuba. My husband has been hassled and questioned about why he would even "visit that country", noting the multiple stamps. I don't get my passport stamped.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #4374 on: September 30, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
Some of my coworkers were told this morning that they will no longer be recieving a travel allowance, we get $90 per pay plus mileage or you can get a higher milage rate. They are losing their minds, how can we stop this, what are we going to do, can we grieve it?

The positons they are in used to require a vehicle and they had to do home visits, they were also told that they no longer have to do home visits and actually have to get a home visit approved by a supervisor if they feel it is necessary. The home visits stop today, but they will still get their $90 biweekly for 6 months.

Not one of them has mentioned that now they have the ability to car pool, and most of them live in the same area, how they don't have to go into homes they feel uncomfortable in and will still be getting this payment for 6 months when they are not using their vehicle.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4375 on: September 30, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »

Unbelievable! I don't think I could bite my tongue on this. Would have to bring it up to HR. Granted, it would be pretty obvious it was you....

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4376 on: September 30, 2014, 11:29:24 AM »
I went from working at a small non-profit where everyone brought their lunch to work and carpooled (and rarely complained about money) to working with a bunch of attorneys who live in huge houses, drive financed cars, send their kids to private schools, and go out to eat for lunch EVERY DAY. The stuff I've heard here has been crazy: 

One of the higher paid attorneys at my work was looking notably down in the dumps, so I asked her if she was okay. Her response: "My student loan officer called me. My monthly payment is increasing from $565/mo to $925/mo. There's no way we can afford that! I'm going to have to sell my house!" She looked like she was about to cry. Not only does she go out to eat every day, but she's in her mid 40s and is still paying on her law school loan that she took out when she was 22!

I heard another attorney say, "Money's been tight lately. At the end of the month, there's nothing left. It started to get bad when I bought the new KIA. Then, of course, my wife was jealous that I got a new car so I had to get her the new Honda CRV. You know how it goes..."

This is amazing!

Also, while I am at it, most all of these are amazing.  However, if I posted what I thought after each one (and everyone else did too) we'd never get through all the posts!

Keep em' coming - comments or not...

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4377 on: September 30, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
We also do the card, presents and money for those retiring and/or moving to another job. There is no pressure to sign or donate anything, though. I only do so for people I liked and have worked together with. Standard amount people leave is 20 franks (ca 22$). If someone is retiring after a long career it's a bit more official with some company money being spent as well.

Honestly I don't mind as long as money involved is not ridiculously large and there is no pressure to sign the card or buy presents.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4378 on: September 30, 2014, 11:39:36 AM »

"It must be a USDA loans: they exist to encourage people to buy homes out in the sticks."

With the commensurate super high transportation costs making up and savings due to distance ~ sticks.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4379 on: September 30, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »
CW: "I've got 2 dvrs and one regular box - total is $220 / month".  Discussing cable plans with other CW.

If I cared at all, I might jump in with a "Internet + Netflix - $58" suggestion.  Which by this forum's standards still sucks, but relatively speaking, not so bad.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4380 on: September 30, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »

You can get foam on espresso by using a measuring cup, sugar, and strong arms. Yes you can! Cubans have perfected the technique. I'm not sure if it works with non-Cuban espresso beans, but try this trick to get a nice foam on your coffee. Plus, it wins you badass points.

Add warm milk to it to get cafe con leche, aka cafe latte (but much cheaper). Come to Miami if you want to see it done in person.

The trick is to get the first few drops of coffee that come out of the moka pot into the sugar and whisk away with a spoon. For some reason, those first few drops are the only ones that get you a really good foam. The texture you want before adding the whole pot in is a nice creamy sticky gook that is so thick you can lift it with the spoon (before the rest of the liquid is added). It's definitely an art to learn, but once you do you will never go pay fancypants money for one at Starbucks.

We need to come up with a quick code word when we get too far down a follow up thread, or off topic.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4381 on: September 30, 2014, 11:50:16 AM »

That happened here recently for the person getting a new job - that was for more money!  I did not contribute.  I do for close to me employee retirements, but not for new jobs.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #4382 on: September 30, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »

It's 750mL.  A standard wine bottle, in other words.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4383 on: September 30, 2014, 01:01:22 PM »
We need to come up with a quick code word when we get too far down a follow up thread, or off topic.

How about "Rollin"? Like rolling off topic here?

jordanread

« Reply #4384 on: September 30, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »

How about "Rollin"? Like rolling off topic here?

I vote for some noun that will confuse everyone. Like cupcake or something completely unrelated to anything. And we must just drop the word, without any context. :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4385 on: September 30, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »
I vote for some noun that will confuse everyone. Like cupcake or something completely unrelated to anything. And we must just drop the word, without any context. :)

COLLATERAL DEBT OBLIGATIONS

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:51:51 PM by LennStar »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4386 on: September 30, 2014, 01:53:24 PM »

Why? I think the comments add to the discussion and enjoy reading them personally.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4387 on: September 30, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »

COLLATERAL DEBT OBLIGATIONS

Incompl te!

hazelkate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4388 on: September 30, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »

How about we say "There's an ingrown hair in this mustache!" Or maybe just, "Ingrown hair."?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4389 on: September 30, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »

In the spirit of the latest off-topic tangent, how about "foam"?

"This thread's getting foamy."

"I like the foam, but getting back to the original topic . . ."

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4390 on: September 30, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »

For my sixth birthday, I had a small party (6-8 kids?) with games and ice-cream cones from Baskin-Robbins. I still remember it. Earrings? Would have lost them in a week.

jordanread

« Reply #4391 on: September 30, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »

How about we say "There's an ingrown hair in this mustache!" Or maybe just, "Ingrown hair."?

Growing the wrong way. Fun!! I'd just say "ingrown"...

In the spirit of the latest off-topic tangent, how about "foam"?

"This thread's getting foamy."

"I like the foam, but getting back to the original topic . . ."

And then it's this big inside joke. :) I love it!

For my sixth birthday, I had a small party (6-8 kids?) with games and ice-cream cones from Baskin-Robbins. I still remember it. Earrings? Would have lost them in a week.

It's not quite Mustachian, since it's still consuming stupid plastic, but I've found that the cake, and dollar store squirt guns are the best bet. Usually, they come in packs of two. Last time I spent $4, and the kids at the party ignored the freaking bouncy house, because BATTLE!! :-)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4392 on: September 30, 2014, 02:56:07 PM »

Completely agree. I got a pair of diamond earrings from some family member when I turned 16, and I was never allowed to wear them for fear of losing them. I'm 24 and have moved out now, and I think they're still hiding in my parent's safe. Most kids that young haven't learned consumerism (read: MOST! Not all, unfortunately). Ice cream, cheap water guns, friends... that's what you need to make a party memorable at that age. Heck, now I'm thinking water balloon fight for my 25th birthday! (which is in the winter, unfortunately... time for plan b...)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4393 on: September 30, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »

Completely agree. I got a pair of diamond earrings from some family member when I turned 16, and I was never allowed to wear them for fear of losing them. I'm 24 and have moved out now, and I think they're still hiding in my parent's safe. Most kids that young haven't learned consumerism (read: MOST! Not all, unfortunately). Ice cream, cheap water guns, friends... that's what you need to make a party memorable at that age. Heck, now I'm thinking water balloon fight for my 25th birthday! (which is in the winter, unfortunately... time for plan b...)
Snowball fight - like a water balloon fight, but you don't even need the balloons!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4394 on: September 30, 2014, 06:11:01 PM »

Why? I think the comments add to the discussion and enjoy reading them personally.

Thank you.

Hey, you can let one request go by, but after two desperate calls for espresso-foam-help from crazyworld, what am I to do? Just let it pass when I have the answer to their lifelong search for cheap foamed espresso?

I guess I just wasn't raised that way. ;-) If I see someone desperately calling for help and I have the answer, then I am going to jump in and help. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it! ;-)

BTW, I learned the "first few drops of coffee" trick from someone at work, so technically this knowledge was "overheard at work". :-)

And, everyone needs a good bit of espresso to get through the 92 pages of this thread.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4395 on: September 30, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
That depends a bit on circumstances - when my daughter was competitive in Irish Dance, we went to Rochester once - there must have been lots of Moms and daughters already through at that point, because when we were asked where we were going and I said Rochester for an Irish Dance competition, the US border officer smiled and waved us through, no more questions.

1. Everyone in the car is not either 100% US or 100% Canadian passport holders, AND there are children in the car, AND especially if both parents of the kids are not in the car.
2. Variations thereof are almost as likely.  This makes sense -- are you abducting children?  Are you planning on illegal immigration?

jordanread

« Reply #4396 on: September 30, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »
Hey, you can let one request go by, but after two desperate calls for espresso-foam-help from crazyworld, what am I to do? Just let it pass when I have the answer to their lifelong search for cheap foamed espresso?

I guess I just wasn't raised that way. ;-) If I see someone desperately calling for help and I have the answer, then I am going to jump in and help. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it! ;-)

BTW, I learned the "first few drops of coffee" trick from someone at work, so technically this knowledge was "overheard at work". :-)

And, everyone needs a good bit of espresso to get through the 92 pages of this thread.

Don't take that as an attack. It's more poking fun at how great we Mustachians are at finding the awesome in everything, regardless of the actual topic. :-) The comments above are pretty tongue in cheek. ;-)

That being said, I have an espresso machine, and need a good frothing cup. I'm totally trying the things mentioned. Also, my NutriBullet and bullet proof coffee makes some wonderful goodness.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4397 on: September 30, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »

Muskrat

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #4398 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:11 PM »

Muskrat

GREAT!, now I have that stupid song stuck in my head...

jordanread

« Reply #4399 on: September 30, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Muskrat
GREAT!, now I have that stupid song stuck in my head...

Oh, how I want to Google a muskrat song, but I'm scared...