Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253435 times)

The Hamster

• Stubble
  • Vivere intus vestri mediis
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3150 on: July 08, 2014, 08:46:53 PM »
Ok, I can't STAND it anymore...so I'm glad this forum exists.
EXACT WORDS - Couldn't make this shit up if I tried!!!

OMG!!!  I would be seriously telling her next time she whinges about her debt to STFU about it unless she is specifically asking you for your help on how to start controlling her spending.  In a nice way of course.  Or maybe you could leave some financial counsellor's business cards on her desk as a hint.

I have a lovely friend who isn't nearly as bad as that, but still spends way too much money on what I consider to be a total waste such as concerts, live music, nights out drinking etc etc but at least she doesn't whinge about her debt to me.

Kactus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3151 on: July 08, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »
Bus discussions

Do people really just jump on buses at random and then wonder why they don't get to their destination? Because that's what I'm getting from the above discussion O_o

I live in a sprawling city that is more than 40km from edge to edge, buses go in all directions (both linear and ring routes), subtle differences in bus numbers can have the bus go right past where you want to go, or leave you with a 20 min walk at the end, though they generally won't take you to completely the wrong end of town without being a completely different number. Most bus stops have a sign saying where the buses go, larger bus stops will even have a brief map. Even before I had access to the internet there was the bus timetable phone number, or paper timetables. Also bus drivers are often happy to have you stop them and ask where their bus is going (and as someone mentioned earlier, point out your stop for you). I've also had a few bus drivers willing to go the extra mile by letting me on the bus for free when the bus in front of them declined to stop to pick me up, or when I had no money as a regular bus patron and they knew I'd pay them back tomorrow.

I can understand the fear of not knowing where to get off the bus if you are going to an unfamiliar area or if the bus stops on a street you don't recognise. I used to study a map in those instances and memorise or note down the sidestreet before the stop I wanted, and the walk from the bus to my destination. And I knew how to place a collect call if I didn't have 50c on me for a payphone and needed my mum to rescue me. And I can understand not wanting to take public transport if you easily fall asleep and go waay past your stop. But a fear of getting on the wrong bus? Do you regularly make (non-trivial) decisions in your life with no prior information?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3152 on: July 08, 2014, 10:31:45 PM »
Bus discussions

Do people really just jump on buses at random and then wonder why they don't get to their destination? Because that's what I'm getting from the above discussion O_o

I live in a sprawling city that is more than 40km from edge to edge, buses go in all directions (both linear and ring routes), subtle differences in bus numbers can have the bus go right past where you want to go, or leave you with a 20 min walk at the end, though they generally won't take you to completely the wrong end of town without being a completely different number. Most bus stops have a sign saying where the buses go, larger bus stops will even have a brief map. Even before I had access to the internet there was the bus timetable phone number, or paper timetables. Also bus drivers are often happy to have you stop them and ask where their bus is going (and as someone mentioned earlier, point out your stop for you). I've also had a few bus drivers willing to go the extra mile by letting me on the bus for free when the bus in front of them declined to stop to pick me up, or when I had no money as a regular bus patron and they knew I'd pay them back tomorrow.

I can understand the fear of not knowing where to get off the bus if you are going to an unfamiliar area or if the bus stops on a street you don't recognise. I used to study a map in those instances and memorise or note down the sidestreet before the stop I wanted, and the walk from the bus to my destination. And I knew how to place a collect call if I didn't have 50c on me for a payphone and needed my mum to rescue me. And I can understand not wanting to take public transport if you easily fall asleep and go waay past your stop. But a fear of getting on the wrong bus? Do you regularly make (non-trivial) decisions in your life with no prior information?

Eh I grew up in very low density suburbs, and I wasn't ascared of the bus until I actually rode the busses in the big city.  I had previously had fine experiences.  I still ride them, but I have to be wary.  Even recently, I followed online transit directions and ended up with the operator stopping in a pretty bad neighborhood and just leaving the bus in the middle of the road.  Luckily the one other person ok the bus was a regular who knew that there was some ongoing service diversion which required transfering to a different shuttle, which was absolutely the most run down bus I've ever seen in the US.  I did make it out alive , but it took far longer than I had planned.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3153 on: July 08, 2014, 10:51:12 PM »
Bus discussions

I live in Korea, and I definitely have the bus-fear. I double-, triple-, quadruple-, a zajillionuple-check that I know the right bus number and always have the stop name written in Korean when I make any trip. It's a little ridiculous how crippled I feel, but I absolutely do not have the hang of it yet. Actually, I've *still* gotten off at the wrong stop a couple times despite my preparation because 1) my English-ears didn't understand the announcer said "Next stop is ____", so I had to walk a bit to get to my stop and 2) I didn't realize that the stop name had varying numbers corresponding to different bus stops MILES apart (took a taxi for that fuck-up).

I have to take a bus to a concert tomorrow night, and I'm already stressing about it! Time to hit the maps and study the street views until I feel comfortable...

I think the solution would be to take the bus more frequently, but I don't because I'm such a baby and can walk most places I need to go to. Might be nice to explore my city a bit more, though.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #3154 on: July 09, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »

What caught my attention about your post was the comfortable walking shoes. I've had two women in my office refuse to walk to lunch across the street because they were wearing very pricey uncomfortable shoes. One decided to drive instead to a lunch. Another refused to go once and ate at the local (bad) cafeteria instead of joining us. One recently decided to bring in some comfortable mocassins for these invitations to walk since she knows I refuse to get in a car to drive across the street for lunch. She wears the uncomfortable shoes while at work. She tried to convince her other friend to do the same. I guess it's progress....

I have never understood why anyone would ever buy uncomfortable shoes on purpose. I also have no sympathy for people who wear them. When i was single, many a date ended when I refused to listen to someone whine about their shoes. I would say that I didn't pick the shoes and as an adult you should have known better. I guess that is not very chivalrous, but it is probably my biggest pet peeve. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3155 on: July 09, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
My office is 1.5 blocks away from a Starbucks, and every once in a while the boss will buy fancypants coffee drinks for the staff (there are 4 of us) as a celebration for some little company victory.  We take turns making the run and bringing back the four drinks. 

When it's my turn to fetch the drinks, I walk (of course).  On their turns, every one of my coworkers drives that 1.5 blocks.

Is the coffee still hot when you bring it to them?

Still too hot to drink, in the summer.  In the winter it cools off more so I ask the barista to make it extra hot and it balances out just fine.  I've never noticed mine being cold or heard anyone else mention it, at least.

Just an FYI, there's no way to make it extra hot. Source: high school Dunkin Donuts employee. Best job I've ever had fun-wise.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3156 on: July 09, 2014, 07:59:14 AM »
While discussing healthy diet and getting out of debt, someone told me that he spends $1000 a month on food and detailed all the restaurants he visited in the last month. When cooking at home he likes to fry beef and cheese in bacon grease and put it on bread with bacon. He also gave "ribs and pork chops" as an example of a healthy meal he would eat at home.

I think for $1000 a month you could have a pretty good drug habit going.

Ribs and pork chops aren't healthy? Ribs have some fat on them but I get pretty full quickly... and of course the chops are great too. Now the beef and cheese in bacon grease and bread... not so much.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3157 on: July 09, 2014, 08:12:08 AM »
I live in Korea, and I definitely have the bus-fear. I double-, triple-, quadruple-, a zajillionuple-check that I know the right bus number and always have the stop name written in Korean when I make any trip. It's a little ridiculous how crippled I feel, but I absolutely do not have the hang of it yet. Actually, I've *still* gotten off at the wrong stop a couple times despite my preparation because 1) my English-ears didn't understand the announcer said "Next stop is ____", so I had to walk a bit to get to my stop and 2) I didn't realize that the stop name had varying numbers corresponding to different bus stops MILES apart (took a taxi for that fuck-up).

I have to take a bus to a concert tomorrow night, and I'm already stressing about it! Time to hit the maps and study the street views until I feel comfortable...

I think the solution would be to take the bus more frequently, but I don't because I'm such a baby and can walk most places I need to go to. Might be nice to explore my city a bit more, though.

Exact same feeling when I started riding the bus in Philly. After a while, it became a lot more comfortable. I would take it about 2 times a week when my wife and I would carpool into the city but she was done much earlier. Definitely gets easier! I'm always impressed about the people who show up EVERY TIME right as the bus pulls up. I always got there 10 minutes before since I didn't want to miss it.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3158 on: July 09, 2014, 08:53:08 AM »
Buses in the US are no problem at all, just try and navigate Tokyo trains!  I got lost in a minor station, never mind being sure of getting on the right train.  At least in the city the important signs are also in English.  There is no one Tokyo train map, city is to big, with to many trains, owned by to many different private companies. 

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3159 on: July 09, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »
Buses in the US are no problem at all, just try and navigate Tokyo trains!  I got lost in a minor station, never mind being sure of getting on the right train.  At least in the city the important signs are also in English.  There is no one Tokyo train map, city is to big, with to many trains, owned by to many different private companies.
We did pretty good both times that we went to Japan, just had to check the maps multiple times. It was confusing at first but we picked up on it pretty quickly and never got lost (though we were a bit confused at a few points since to get to the ryokan we stayed at in the foothills of Fuji we had to take a bus into the middle of nowhere for the shuttle to the ryokan to pick us up). Also helped that if we did get turned around nearly everyone was eager to try and use their English to help us.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3160 on: July 09, 2014, 09:02:17 AM »

My wife and I had a pretty good experience in Thailand. It's amazing how many english signs there were! The above ground rail and the subway were so easy to navigate. Only time we missed a stop using public transportation was on the riverboat. Got to play with some pretty cute mutts (if you ignored all of their lesions) though at the stop until the next riverboat heading back came along! The dogs just wanted some company, even if you didn't want to touch them.

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #3161 on: July 09, 2014, 10:06:13 AM »
My office is 1.5 blocks away from a Starbucks, and every once in a while the boss will buy fancypants coffee drinks for the staff (there are 4 of us) as a celebration for some little company victory.  We take turns making the run and bringing back the four drinks. 

When it's my turn to fetch the drinks, I walk (of course).  On their turns, every one of my coworkers drives that 1.5 blocks.

Is the coffee still hot when you bring it to them?

Still too hot to drink, in the summer.  In the winter it cools off more so I ask the barista to make it extra hot and it balances out just fine.  I've never noticed mine being cold or heard anyone else mention it, at least.

Just an FYI, there's no way to make it extra hot. Source: high school Dunkin Donuts employee. Best job I've ever had fun-wise.

There is at Starbucks - you can override the temp gauge on the milk steamer. Source: Managed an SBUX for a while. Good company, although I hated the job.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #3162 on: July 09, 2014, 12:57:48 PM »

What caught my attention about your post was the comfortable walking shoes. I've had two women in my office refuse to walk to lunch across the street because they were wearing very pricey uncomfortable shoes. One decided to drive instead to a lunch. Another refused to go once and ate at the local (bad) cafeteria instead of joining us. One recently decided to bring in some comfortable mocassins for these invitations to walk since she knows I refuse to get in a car to drive across the street for lunch. She wears the uncomfortable shoes while at work. She tried to convince her other friend to do the same. I guess it's progress....

I have never understood why anyone would ever buy uncomfortable shoes on purpose. I also have no sympathy for people who wear them. When i was single, many a date ended when I refused to listen to someone whine about their shoes. I would say that I didn't pick the shoes and as an adult you should have known better. I guess that is not very chivalrous, but it is probably my biggest pet peeve.

To be fair, most high heeled shoes I buy for work are uncomfortable until I break them in.  The break-in period varies based on how often I wear them and how much I walk in them.

That said, I keep two pairs of shoes at work - (1) an old, VERY broken in pair for most day-to-day walking around the office that, aside from boots, are probably my most comfortable high heels, and (2) a fancy-schmancy very non-Mustachian pair I recklessly bought in January that are about 75% of the way broken in.  My higher-ups are very fashion-oriented so I only wear these to meetings where they are in attendance.  I figure I can't return 'em, so I might as well use them to my advantage. 

I wear flip-flops to work on the days I drive and running shoes to work on the days I bike.  Therefore, I am always ready if I need to walk to a group lunch outside our building, or to pick my kids up from daycare at the end of the day.  You will almost never hear me complain about my shoes hurting! 

There are ways to be smart about fashion.  People just aren't smart anymore.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3163 on: July 09, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »
People just aren't smart anymore.

No kidding.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3164 on: July 09, 2014, 04:39:18 PM »
To be fair, most high heeled shoes I buy for work are uncomfortable until I break them in.  The break-in period varies based on how often I wear them and how much I walk in them.

I save my uncomfortable high heel shoe wearing to special events like weddings. I'm pretty tall as it is, and don't like to tower over people on a daily basis.

I've found that both the cheap and expensive spectrum of shoes tend to be the most uncomfortable. I like the sweet spot in the middle, saving money by buying on sale at the outlet stores.

I guess I am just too practical for daily usage at work. I love to walk around. I can't imagine losing out on workplace comraderie by refusing to go to lunch across the street with coworkers because of my choice of footwear. I do still wear somewhat stylish shoes (maybe not in the opinion of those pricey-shoe-coworkers) and sometimes receive compliments. But I buy them on sale and they have to be comfortable.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3165 on: July 09, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
One of my co-workers just bought a brand new BMW because his old one had turned 3 years old. (Apparently that's very old in car years.) He explained that it was the frugal thing to do because he didn't buy the one he wanted ($120,000) but paid just under $50,000 and they gave him $25,000 for his trade-in. Plus he has a full warranty on the new car. All in all, it was practically free, he said.

Then he explained that having a nice car was critical to advance in his career. What career requires a fancy car, you ask? Salesman, perhaps? No, programmer. Everyone knows that programmers are evaluated on the quality of their leather seats, right?

This is a person who told me earlier that he would never be able to retire because his children used up every dollar he earned. I am beginning to suspect that the problem for many people with children is not actually the children.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3166 on: July 09, 2014, 11:14:34 PM »
Recently a bunch of us at work were gathered around during a low period...One of them seems really focused on a text she just got.

Me: "What's up?"

Her: "Oh, my husband just texted me about a great house for sale."

Coworkers and I: "Ummm. Didn't you just move into your new one less than a year ago???"

Her: " Yeah, but we're always looking. This one's in a neighborhood we've always liked."

This conversation happened the same week she took off work to meet with people to install granite countertops in her current home.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3167 on: July 10, 2014, 12:28:48 AM »
CW complains about how expensive her dog is. She has to travel to another city (~5 hour bus ride away) to replace her passport because her dog chewed it up. And she can't afford the bus fare until after we get paid next week.

Then she asks if my fiancé will be working when he moves here. She might want him to walk her dog a couple times a day on Mondays, and maybe every day if they bond. 10,000w (~$10) a walk. I'd love for my dude to be able to earn that extra money, but I don't know if I'd feel right taking it from her after finding out about her financial struggles. There's more...

She says that she had to hock her favorite ring today to cover the cost of a ~$50 tow for her scooter which broke down. This is a fairly new scooter which she got purely to drive around our campus. Maximum walking distance is about 10 minutes, I'd guess. Completely unnecessary scooter because she's too nervous to drive it around town. Another CW pointed out that she's disabling herself, and I'd have to agree :-(

THEN she tells me about this great video series for learning Korean that only costs ~$100 to access. And THEN she tells me about paying someone ~$20 for Spanish lessons. Her goal is to retire in South America, but at this rate, at age 46 or so, I'm concerned that will never happen for her because she just throws money around  :-(

I'm just confused and a little sad for her. I wish I could help her, but I know my advice wouldn't be wanted.

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3168 on: July 10, 2014, 06:41:43 AM »
Literally JUST heard:

"Oh, my daughter's phone bill is hundreds of bucks.  For her and her husband."

Eeek!  At least my CW goes on to say how dumb that is, and some other folks agreed that a smartphone generally isn't needed.  Maybe there are undercover mustachians here after all...

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #3169 on: July 10, 2014, 07:20:14 AM »
Was at lunch with some folks who work at the same base I do - though not with me directly.  Rode in one of the ladies large/new SUV.  She made some comment about the benefits of having a new baby because "Momma's gotta get a new car".  (New car to go with the new baby?  I didn't get it then and still don't).

At lunch the three people with me were shocked to learn that my family of 5 is single income.  Comments along the lines of "HOW can you possibly afford only one income?"  (It is now worth noting that we are all government employees and therefore all of us fall in the same general salary ballpark.) 

I made a generic comment about it not always being easy - especially last year when saving for unpaid maternity leave in the midst of the government furlough debacle.  I also stated that we live carefully and, for example, drive older paid-for cars.

One of the ladies responses was "But even if you get your car paid off, you will still have to buy a new one eventually.  That's what I don't understand about people who think they can retire in their 50s or 60s.  Even if they have a paid for car and house at retirement that car won't last forever and they'll need a new one.  Then what will they do?"

General consensus around the table was that retirement is an unattainable pipe-dream.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3170 on: July 10, 2014, 07:36:54 AM »
Was at lunch with some folks who work at the same base I do - though not with me directly.  Rode in one of the ladies large/new SUV.  She made some comment about the benefits of having a new baby because "Momma's gotta get a new car".  (New car to go with the new baby?  I didn't get it then and still don't).

We own a 2005 Toyota Corolla.  I've had dozens of coworkers and family members comment on our vehicle situation now that we have a baby.

"You're going to need a minivan!" - ?
"You'll need a second car!" - We haven't needed a second car for the past eight years.
"You can't possibly fit all three of you in that little car" - It's got five seats.
"Small cars aren't safe to drive kids around in" - So maybe you should drive less with your kid to increase safety?
"How will you fit giant strollers in your little car?" - Why do I need a giant stroller?

I usually just glare at them until they stop, but seriously . . . wtf?

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #3171 on: July 10, 2014, 08:29:49 AM »

We own a 2005 Toyota Corolla.  I've had dozens of coworkers and family members comment on our vehicle situation now that we have a baby.

"You'll need a second car!" - We haven't needed a second car for the past eight years.
"You can't possibly fit all three of you in that little car" - It's got five seats.
"Small cars aren't safe to drive kids around in" - So maybe you should drive less with your kid to increase safety?
"How will you fit giant strollers in your little car?" - Why do I need a giant stroller?

We got a lot of that when we had our first child, and it eventually stopped when we did just fine with our Honda Fit and one kid. Now it's coming back following the announcement that we're going to have a second child. We have plenty of room for another carseat back there, but you'd think it's impossible listening to what people say.  People are generally not very imaginative or adaptive, I guess.

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #3172 on: July 10, 2014, 08:47:19 AM »

I save my uncomfortable high heel shoe wearing to special events like weddings. I'm pretty tall as it is, and don't like to tower over people on a daily basis.

I've found that both the cheap and expensive spectrum of shoes tend to be the most uncomfortable. I like the sweet spot in the middle, saving money by buying on sale at the outlet stores.

I guess I am just too practical for daily usage at work. I love to walk around. I can't imagine losing out on workplace comraderie by refusing to go to lunch across the street with coworkers because of my choice of footwear. I do still wear somewhat stylish shoes (maybe not in the opinion of those pricey-shoe-coworkers) and sometimes receive compliments. But I buy them on sale and they have to be comfortable.

Since 9/11, I haven't worn shoes at work that I couldn't walk home in. (I was 8 months pregnant then, and I walked home- fortunately I was able to change to comfy shoes in my office before leaving.)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3173 on: July 10, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »
Literally JUST heard:

"Oh, my daughter's phone bill is hundreds of bucks.  For her and her husband."

Eeek!  At least my CW goes on to say how dumb that is, and some other folks agreed that a smartphone generally isn't needed.  Maybe there are undercover mustachians here after all...

One of mine told me that she thought of me when paying her bill since mine is at least half (RW) compared to her bill!

nordlead

• Stubble
« Reply #3174 on: July 10, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »

We got a lot of that when we had our first child, and it eventually stopped when we did just fine with our Honda Fit and one kid. Now it's coming back following the announcement that we're going to have a second child. We have plenty of room for another carseat back there, but you'd think it's impossible listening to what people say.  People are generally not very imaginative or adaptive, I guess.

I have 3 kids (4 and under) in an 05 Subaru Forester, and most people questioned if it was possible before the 3rd one was here, but now no one really says anything.

At work, I've seen a car (equivalent of a Honda Accord) with 3 car seats in the back, but I wouldn't do that myself, as the extra cargo space of the Forester is incredibly useful.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #3175 on: July 10, 2014, 09:40:53 AM »
I got lots of comments from my inlaws when we got married about my car... an '04 civic with 180k km's
- oh is she going to get a new car
- she deserves a new car
- time to replace that old beater

and again when I got pregnant, my SIL actually told my husband he should buy me a new car - a nice big one to keep me and baby safe...
I can afford to buy my own damn car when I'm ready thank-you! And we didn't tell her I was still biking to work in my first trimester...

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #3176 on: July 10, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
I have a positive one!

Was chatting with one of our sub-contractors the other day. He is my age (28). He put $100,000 downpayment on a townhouse a couple years ago (not sure how much it cost, but ~$200-250,000 would be pretty likely in the area it's in), and he expects to have it paid off within two years. At the very least has his TFSA maxed out, not sure what else. but he expects to retire by 40.

Colour me impressed :) I was tempted to ask him if he was a mustachian, but suspected that he wasn't, since he probably would have been piling that money into investment accounts rather than paying off what is undoubtably a very low rate mortgage, but still. I'll have to mention the website the next time I see him.

The only thing that made me a little sad is that he said he didn't want to get married or have children since it would derail his financial plans. I just nodded sympathetically, but damn dude, you really can have both! But I can see how someone would think that, looking at the world around them. For the record, I don't want kids myself, but I would still feel that way if I had all the money in the world.

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #3177 on: July 10, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »

I have 3 kids (4 and under) in an 05 Subaru Forester, and most people questioned if it was possible before the 3rd one was here, but now no one really says anything.

At work, I've seen a car (equivalent of a Honda Accord) with 3 car seats in the back, but I wouldn't do that myself, as the extra cargo space of the Forester is incredibly useful.

i really don't understand the whole american family car thing. we ran a fairly run-of-the-mill hatchback even with three teenagers, no problems. surely that's harder than one small baby? (yeah, it got cosy but no one died or lost limbs because of it!)

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #3178 on: July 10, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
Colour me impressed :) I was tempted to ask him if he was a mustachian

It's for these very instances I wish we had some secret code phrase that we could work into everyday conversation so we could covertly identify ourselves to other (potential) mustachians, or see if they respond appropriately.

"The sun is shining..."

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3179 on: July 10, 2014, 10:49:50 AM »
i really don't understand the whole american family car thing. we ran a fairly run-of-the-mill hatchback even with three teenagers, no problems. surely that's harder than one small baby? (yeah, it got cosy but no one died or lost limbs because of it!)
People in the US seem to think that they are the first humans to procreate, and NOTHING should get in the way of the safety of their statistically very average progeny. Given how much they pay for each childbirth and how precarious their financial situation is, they're really just looking out for their "investments". Some of the things my French-born mother did to her children like carrying us in infant bike seats and giving us some diluted red wine with meals at a young age would have resulted in people calling the cops on her, had we been raised here.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #3180 on: July 10, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »

GuitarStv - we actually have 3 kids and a 2005 Toyota Corolla as well!  Current setup involves a rear-facing Radian, a forward facing Complete Air 65, and a Graco Snugride.  So, yes, you can do it!

Edited to add that I thought you were saying you had 3 kids.  Upon re-reading your quote it appears you only have 1 child.  Therefore, WTF does everyone around you think is required to carry two adults and one child???
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:08:53 AM by SomedayStache »

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #3181 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »

Since 9/11, I haven't worn shoes at work that I couldn't walk home in. (I was 8 months pregnant then, and I walked home- fortunately I was able to change to comfy shoes in my office before leaving.)

I'm curious what infant car seat you used with the Fit.  We test drove a fit, and didn't have success fitting our Graco SnugRide in there.  I was surprised, my goal was to convince my wife to move from our Accord to a Fit.  Obviously, I failed to do that, with the failure of that test, and additionally the Fits we found also seemed badly overpriced.  But, I think if the car seat had fit, we would have solved that problem with some diligence.  So, I'm curious.  Personally I think the Accord has too much space in the back seat, and not enough in the trunk, and gets terrible gas mileage. 

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #3182 on: July 10, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
"The sun is shining..."

... and things are looking up!

odput

• Bristles
« Reply #3183 on: July 10, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
"The sun is shining..."

... and things are looking up!

Sorry...was looking for "but the ice is slippery"  (The Shadow)

But seriously, does anyone have a phrase that is uncommon enough that it won't be used accidentally, but is normal enough to use in everyday conversation to disclose ourselves to others?

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3184 on: July 10, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
The duck flies....At midnight

Thats a mighty big...stache you have their?

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #3185 on: July 10, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »
But seriously, does anyone have a phrase that is uncommon enough that it won't be used accidentally, but is normal enough to use in everyday conversation to disclose ourselves to others?

Well honestly, "I save as much money as I can so I can have the freedom to do what I want to do with my life" seems to fit the bill. ;-)

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #3186 on: July 10, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »

I'm curious what infant car seat you used with the Fit.  We test drove a fit, and didn't have success fitting our Graco SnugRide in there.  I was surprised, my goal was to convince my wife to move from our Accord to a Fit.  Obviously, I failed to do that, with the failure of that test, and additionally the Fits we found also seemed badly overpriced.  But, I think if the car seat had fit, we would have solved that problem with some diligence.  So, I'm curious.  Personally I think the Accord has too much space in the back seat, and not enough in the trunk, and gets terrible gas mileage.

I'm going to guess you were meaning to reply to me. :)

This is what we used, or possibly its predecessor: http://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/snugride-click-connect-35-harlowe.aspx There is a universal latching system in the car, and it fit perfectly. We're currently using a forward-facing carseat (kid 1 is 3.5 now), which also fits, though getting the latches onto the attachment points requires having the seat very loose to start. I can't remember the make of the forward facing seat, though. I can check after work, if you want to know.

As for the Fit, there's a reason they're fairly expensive used. They're a really great car. Ours was bought new in 2008, well before reorienting my life into a more Frugal trajectory (though moving from an RX-8 to the Fit could be considered the start of that, I suppose!)  The car gets reasonably good gas mileage (average city 8L/100km, highway 6.1L/100km) and has been incredibly reliable. My repair costs in the last year, on a 6 year old vehicle, were ~$150 for routine maintenance and $400 for new tires (first replacement set, though we use winter tires from Nov-Apr)

The only problems I've had with it is that other drivers seem to have it out for the car... hit once while parked, once in a parking lot, and once rear-ended by another vehicle that was pushed into us by a school bus. :(

odput

• Bristles
« Reply #3187 on: July 10, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »

Well honestly, "I save as much money as I can so I can have the freedom to do what I want to do with my life" seems to fit the bill. ;-)

Touche

I guess I was thinking something more subtle, like if a coworker/friend/family member says something that might be mustachian, you can say something like "yeah I wish I had that much badassity." (although this particular phrasing seems too common)  If they recognize the phrase, then they can say something like "maybe you should ride your bike more."  Then you'll know you're in the presence of another mustachian, even if others in the conversation don't, and you can talk to your new friend at greater length, knowing they are on your team and won't look at you like a 3 headed dog when you tell them you're only going to work until 35(or whatever)

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #3188 on: July 10, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
Yes I meant to reply to you, seanc0x0, guess I clicked the wrong quote button.  I had no problem attaching the infant car seat base (we have the Graco SnugRide 22, which is essentially the same, just lighter), it just seemed to require the front passenger seat to be moved up too far to work with 2 adults in the front.  We'll be moving on from the infant seat soon, so maybe we can revisit the question.  Of course, my wife would probably lean towards a CR-V now.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #3189 on: July 10, 2014, 12:56:09 PM »
Yes I meant to reply to you, seanc0x0, guess I clicked the wrong quote button.  I had no problem attaching the infant car seat base (we have the Graco SnugRide 22, which is essentially the same, just lighter), it just seemed to require the front passenger seat to be moved up too far to work with 2 adults in the front.  We'll be moving on from the infant seat soon, so maybe we can revisit the question.  Of course, my wife would probably lean towards a CR-V now.

I gotcha.  Yes, we did have to move the front seat forward. It wasn't much of a problem. Though my 5'4" wife usually sits in the passenger seat, even on the occasions where I was in that seat I didn't find it too much of a problem. I'm 6'2", and it was perhaps a bit less comfortable, but as long as it wasn't on a long road trip I'd not have a problem with it. 

When kid 2 arrives in Dec, we'll be moving my daughter's forward-facing seat behind the driver's seat and using the passenger side for the backwards-facing seat, though.

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #3190 on: July 10, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »

I gotcha.  Yes, we did have to move the front seat forward. It wasn't much of a problem. Though my 5'4" wife usually sits in the passenger seat, even on the occasions where I was in that seat I didn't find it too much of a problem. I'm 6'2", and it was perhaps a bit less comfortable, but as long as it wasn't on a long road trip I'd not have a problem with it. 

When kid 2 arrives in Dec, we'll be moving my daughter's forward-facing seat behind the driver's seat and using the passenger side for the backwards-facing seat, though.

Well, my wife is only 5', maybe it would have worked.  It was a hard sell, and the math depended on getting some value for our Accord and a good price on the Fit, neither of which was on offer.  Anyway, something to keep in mind with the knowledge that it can be done whenever we next re-evaluate the car situation.  Thanks for the details.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3191 on: July 10, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »
The only thing that made me a little sad is that he said he didn't want to get married or have children since it would derail his financial plans. I just nodded sympathetically, but damn dude, you really can have both! But I can see how someone would think that, looking at the world around them. For the record, I don't want kids myself, but I would still feel that way if I had all the money in the world.

Tell him that some women (assuming he is a breeder) pull their own weight and might even accelerate FIRE.

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #3192 on: July 10, 2014, 01:58:09 PM »

Tell him that some women (assuming he is a breeder) pull their own weight and might even accelerate FIRE.

He alluded to getting burned pretty bad in some past relationships. If I knew any mustachian single women, I would set him up in a heartbeat, he seems like a really nice guy! But alas, I have an excess supply of nice, single guy friends, and a dearth of female ones.

That being said, I should totally tell him about this website, and the "singles" section!

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #3193 on: July 10, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »
This is from some time back... I was talking to a college buddy about finances, and he said that he has financed his education with student loans. Perfectly reasonable, especially given that he's got some scholarships on top of it.

The guy also happens to be a, shall we say, very heavy drinker. I asked him for an estimate of how much he spends on alcohol in an average week, and we guesstimated about $100-$200 bucks.

That much fucking money could make a big dent in his student loan.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3194 on: July 10, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
This is from some time back... I was talking to a college buddy about finances, and he said that he has financed his education with student loans. Perfectly reasonable, especially given that he's got some scholarships on top of it.

The guy also happens to be a, shall we say, very heavy drinker. I asked him for an estimate of how much he spends on alcohol in an average week, and we guesstimated about $100-$200 bucks.

That much fucking money could make a big dent in his student loan.

Two years ago I estimated that I was spending about $600 a month at the bar.  I woke up... a little. I still spend too much, maybe around $250.

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3195 on: July 10, 2014, 05:32:59 PM »

+1, sir.  My huge, feminist, heart just goes pitty-pat over such a romantic declaration as yours. My own husband had the smarts to declare similarly about 26 years ago.  May you find happiness with your life partner, married in-state or out.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3196 on: July 10, 2014, 05:51:31 PM »
Today my CW who recently moved closer to work said "Riding your bike two miles to work is a waste."

He formerly rode his bike to work when it was 8 miles. He drives his SUV to work, now. That isn't a waste at all.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3197 on: July 10, 2014, 09:04:04 PM »
Today my CW who recently moved closer to work said "Riding your bike two miles to work is a waste."

He formerly rode his bike to work when it was 8 miles. He drives his SUV to work, now. That isn't a waste at all.

Did your CW eat a lot of paint chips as a kid? How is biking a waste but not driving an SUV?

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3198 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:55 PM »

Did your CW eat a lot of paint chips as a kid? How is biking a waste but not driving an SUV?
The funny part is a couple other CW's live near to where he moved from and are just getting into biking to work. He was excited about the office getting healthier. He must only care about getting a big enough workout. The funny part is he will drive home, to then go on a bike ride.

FACE PUNCH!

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3199 on: July 10, 2014, 09:32:34 PM »

It actually makes some sense, perhaps you just did not understand the whole context of his statement, or didn't quote it verbatim? If he was riding 8 miles before, that likely meant he was wearing "cycling clothes" and then changing once he got to the office. He might have the "I must wear appropriate clothes when I ride my bike" idea in his head, and thus, if he's only riding 2 miles, then it's definitely "a waste" of time to do the whole biking thing, which involves changing at both ends. And if he thinks of it as his exercise for the day, than 2 miles is "a waste" since it's not far enough to get your heart rate up.

I sorta felt that way when my bike commute switched from 9 miles to 3.5 miles. And sure, if you want more miles, you could just loop out of your way on your commute, but psychologically, that's somehow difficult to do. I guess there's just something about a 6-10 mile commute that feels about "perfect": it hits the sweet spot in terms of working good exercise into your day and optimizing your use of time. So when you reduce that things just seem less optimal.