Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253222 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3300 on: July 17, 2014, 12:55:40 AM »
If you've never lived in a city situation where you drive around sometimes 30+ minutes to find an ultra tiny spot to parallel park in then you wouldn't understand the benefits of a back up camera.
I've parallel parked before. My car has this big transparent thing on the back so usually I try and look out that and see if I'm getting close to hitting something.

Lol!  I used to parallel park my little car into ever smaller spots by active use of the 1-2 inch built in bumper retraction..
Park by touch.  No backup camera needed, and I may have crunched it anyway...

Had to stop when they invented painted plastic bumpers.. A most non- mustachian innovation IMO.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3301 on: July 17, 2014, 01:58:04 AM »
What's a cup and flower fund?

In the Army it's a combination of "flowers for birth/death in family" and "plaque when you leave the unit" fund.  Each officer or NCO is expected to contribute a set amount. Some units can be very coercive with getting you to contribute.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3302 on: July 17, 2014, 02:36:22 AM »
If you don't believe me, look up your local state's sexual offender list and see how many pedophiles there are in your neighborhood.  There are hundreds within a few miles of me - and that's pretty much the way it is in any large US city.

I would start by looking up the criteria on how to get onto the list, because then you would realize that it might no means in a list of pedophiles. For instance, if you are a young woman of 18 years and your boy friend is 17 then kissing in public can put you onto this list for live as a "pedophile".

Kansaslover5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3303 on: July 17, 2014, 03:32:06 AM »
A cup and flower fund is SUPPOSED to be used to pay for plaques when senior enlisted or officers leave the unit. It's also supposed to be used for buying gifts for couples having new babies or getting married. It's like a slush fund. The problem is that it gets abused. There's no accountability and then some people get left out. For instance, I never got a fancy plaque when I left the unit. I don't know what happened to my $200. Additionally I've seen people come and go and NOT pay the $200 and still leave with a plaque. It's all screwed up.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3304 on: July 17, 2014, 03:48:48 AM »
A cup and flower fund is SUPPOSED to be used to pay for plaques when senior enlisted or officers leave the unit. It's also supposed to be used for buying gifts for couples having new babies or getting married. It's like a slush fund. The problem is that it gets abused. There's no accountability and then some people get left out. For instance, I never got a fancy plaque when I left the unit. I don't know what happened to my $200. Additionally I've seen people come and go and NOT pay the $200 and still leave with a plaque. It's all screwed up.

Damn, that's awful.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3305 on: July 17, 2014, 04:08:07 AM »

I put in at least $100 dollars to the fund when I joined the unit. I was given a flower bouquet by the unit for my mother's funeral, but nothing for when I departed the unit after two years on the job. About 18 months in the personnel NCOs changed out and they lost track of who paid in.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #3306 on: July 17, 2014, 10:32:04 AM »
I guess I should probably contribute to my unit's fund then. :/ No one's ever hit me up and I'm not the type of person to volunteer that money. Especially when there's a $25 hail and farewell about once a month.

I did have to pay about $100 for my plaque when I left the line battery and never even got one, so...

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3307 on: July 17, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »
From the article:
Rear facing cameras, including those that automakers already offer, would save between 59 and 69 deaths a year, NHTSA said.

Any death is bad, but statistically speaking this is a miniscule amount. Too miniscule to require all drivers in the US to have cameras in their cars.

So whose kids are you volunteering to be among that 59-69 deaths a year? Your own, I hope?

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3308 on: July 17, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
From the article:
Rear facing cameras, including those that automakers already offer, would save between 59 and 69 deaths a year, NHTSA said.

Any death is bad, but statistically speaking this is a miniscule amount. Too miniscule to require all drivers in the US to have cameras in their cars.

So whose kids are you volunteering to be among that 59-69 deaths a year? Your own, I hope?

Better yet, let's ban all cars so there are no auto related deaths per year

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3309 on: July 17, 2014, 03:09:52 PM »

And hire the unemployed as Rickshaw runners.  Win-Win.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:56:12 PM by RFAAOATB »

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3310 on: July 17, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »

And higher the unemployed as Rickshaw runners.  Win-Win.

hahahaha, would take care of the obesity problem at the same time

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3311 on: July 17, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »
From the article:

A kid that dies is always a tragic event. But it doesn't help to demand that a poster should submit their own kids to die when all that happened was pointing out that 65 persons out of about 400 million is a really low number that is by far outnumbered by people who died riding their bike or taking a shower. None of which we are likely to ban. Also the same amount spent in orher countries on food or in the US in education might save a lot more than those 65 lives.

Numbers Man

« Reply #3312 on: July 17, 2014, 03:20:35 PM »
I read this one on a Yelp talk thread:

I don't care what Consumer Reports says; I think of the extended warranty as insurance. You hope you don't need to use it, but if you do, you're glad you have it.

On most cars, the sunroof is part of an assembly. You can't just replace the defective part, you have to replace the entire assembly. Parts plus the labor to drop the entire roof liner... budget $2K. Not saying it will happen, but if it does, the extended warranty just paid for itself.

Also, you're getting an SUV- why WOULDN'T you get 4WD? You never know where life will take you.

My thoughts: Life will take you right to the poorhouse with those decisions.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3313 on: July 17, 2014, 03:27:30 PM »
From the article:

My biggest beef isn’t with the camera itself, but REQUIRING all cars to have it. If you want one for your car, go for it.

Are we not all MMM blog readers here? Please re-read:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/06/07/safety-is-an-expensive-illusion/

Additionally, as a small car driver, my biggest risk when backing out is when a huge momma truck or SUV parks next to me and totally blocks my view of the parking lot cross traffic whizzing by behind me.  A backup camera would be useless in that situation. I usually have to stop, take a deep breath, and say a quick prayer before backing out because I can’t see the traffic coming by.

I propose we eliminate the small car/big car discrepancy and require everyone to drive the same sized car.

Or, perhaps, we should require that all parking lots have designated areas for small cars, another for medium cars, and one for the extravagantly sized ones. That way, no one is blocking anyone’s view. I guess you’d have to further subdivide the disabled section since there may also be car-size discrepancies occurring in that part of the parking lot as well. So multiply that by 2, you’d have to have 6 different sections in each parking lot to accommodate all kinds of drivers and cars.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3314 on: July 17, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
With more than 15 million new cars in the US and $140 per car we are talking here about 2 BILLION dollars. There is a lot you can do with this kind of money.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3315 on: July 17, 2014, 04:48:14 PM »
Apparently, the local credit union (they have an office on site) recommends no less than a 45% total debt-to-income ratio for people buying mortgages.

Which is pretty mindblowing if you are at that percentage, not going to lie. I didn't dare ask pre/post tax income vs debt, though the slides made it seem like pretax.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3316 on: July 17, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »
My biggest beef isn’t with the camera itself, but REQUIRING all cars to have it. If you want one for your car, go for it.

They made the exact same arguments against seat belts.

And the comparison to shower or biking deaths isn't valid.  Showering and biking are going to happen anyway, they are unstoppable.  Banning them would have severe negative consequences to accompany the slight positive consequence of saving a few lives.  Mandating backup cameras has the same slight positive consequence of saving a few lives without any of the negative consequences.  We don't all suddenly get fat and stinky when new cars have cameras.  It's a net positive decision, unlike banning biking or showering.

Besides, if you don't like it, just don't buy a new car.  Or tape over the screen. 

And to be clear, Tesla's lobbying to allow cameras in place of mirrors is not to require all cars to have cameras, but to allow some consumers to choose cameras instead of optical mirrors.  They're asking for more consumer freedom (you libertarians) and less regulation.

Cameras are cheap.  Your cell phone camera costs like $5, and new cars already all have screens in them, so it's not like this life-saving safety feature is going to bankrupt anyone buying a new car.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3317 on: July 17, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »

They made the exact same arguments against seat belts.

And the comparison to shower or biking deaths isn't valid.  Showering and biking are going to happen anyway, they are unstoppable.  Banning them would have severe negative consequences to accompany the slight positive consequence of saving a few lives.  Mandating backup cameras has the same slight positive consequence of saving a few lives without any of the negative consequences.  We don't all suddenly get fat and stinky when new cars have cameras.  It's a net positive decision, unlike banning biking or showering.

Besides, if you don't like it, just don't buy a new car.  Or tape over the screen. 

And to be clear, Tesla's lobbying to allow cameras in place of mirrors is not to require all cars to have cameras, but to allow some consumers to choose cameras instead of optical mirrors.  They're asking for more consumer freedom (you libertarians) and less regulation.

Cameras are cheap.  Your cell phone camera costs like $5, and new cars already all have screens in them, so it's not like this life-saving safety feature is going to bankrupt anyone buying a new car.

But why would I want to contribute to the over-use of rare earth metals in screens and cameras in every car? That doesn't sound very green. Let's say the cost is that low and that's all they will charge for it. Will it stay that low? What if the rare earth metal situation gets worse? I'd rather those materials be used in cameras such as surgeries where they would be of more use.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3318 on: July 17, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »
But why would I want to contribute to the over-use of rare earth metals in screens and cameras in every car? That doesn't sound very green. Let's say the cost is that low and that's all they will charge for it. Will it stay that low? What if the rare earth metal situation gets worse? I'd rather those materials be used in cameras such as surgeries where they would be of more use.

Sarcasm I hope?  Without doing the math I have to think that the net r.e.m. usage of this is very small relative to total usage.  I am all for hugging a tree but lets have some perspective.  If I am wrong please explain. Yes a tree saved is a tree earned, but really this would seem much less than round off error.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3319 on: July 17, 2014, 06:03:42 PM »
If you don't believe me, look up your local state's sexual offender list and see how many pedophiles there are in your neighborhood.  There are hundreds within a few miles of me - and that's pretty much the way it is in any large US city.

I would start by looking up the criteria on how to get onto the list, because then you would realize that it might no means in a list of pedophiles. For instance, if you are a young woman of 18 years and your boy friend is 17 then kissing in public can put you onto this list for live as a "pedophile".

One can also be hit by lightning 17 times in a row, then get smashed by a crashing plane, but what are the odds?

I get an email notice whenever one of those people moves within 5 miles of my home and I check them out.  In 5 years of doing this, looking at hundreds of records, haven't seen one yet that might even remotely qualify for your example. 

The overwhelming preponderance of them are there for molesting 2 to 6 year olds, or raping 10-14 year olds, MULTIPLE TIMES, all while being in their 30s or older.  Check it out for yourself.  Facts are useful things.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3320 on: July 17, 2014, 06:29:52 PM »
I've met "parents" for which such a comment would have been an over-the-top super-kind statement compared to the truth.  Not every person who has a child is nice, good to their children, or even takes the time to raise them.

Is there some link between pedophilia and poor parenting that I'm not aware of?  Because it seems like a really strange assertion that better parenting would somehow cure a mental defect or illness.  Are we going to start blaming parents for mental retardation and autism too?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3321 on: July 17, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »
I've met "parents" for which such a comment would have been an over-the-top super-kind statement compared to the truth.  Not every person who has a child is nice, good to their children, or even takes the time to raise them.

Is there some link between pedophilia and poor parenting that I'm not aware of?  Because it seems like a really strange assertion that better parenting would somehow cure a mental defect or illness.  Are we going to start blaming parents for mental retardation and autism too?

Being a pedophile with one's children is extremely bad parenting.   That's the link.

I used that example because an earlier poster made a derogatory comment about their parents, another poster assumed it was wrong of that person to do so.  I was just providing documentable evidence that not everyone who says something bad about their parents is out of line.   Some parents are so evil that anything less than "Hang that bastard from the nearest tree!" is being nicer than they deserve.  Just sayin...

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3322 on: July 17, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
Are we going to start blaming parents for mental retardation and autism too?

Don't be ridiculous.  Everyone knows that autism is caused by vaccinations.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3323 on: July 17, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
I used that example because an earlier poster made a derogatory comment about their parents, another poster assumed it was wrong of that person to do so.

LOL, no. An earlier poster made a derogatory comment about commercials, and then another poster made a joke that relied on the ambiguity of English sentence structure for its humor. No bad parents (or commentary thereon) were ever involved.

So now we can stop talking about kiddie-touchers and get back to things overheard at work!

otherbarry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3324 on: July 17, 2014, 08:11:19 PM »
Man you guys talk about some weird things at work.

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #3325 on: July 17, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »
Mandating backup cameras has the same slight positive consequence of saving a few lives without any of the negative consequences. 

Except for continuing the ever increasing creep of mandatory technology into a tool that some people use for simple transportation and further pricing vehicle ownership out of the reach of median income earners in the western world. 

Do you see how advocating for consumer CHOICE is different than implementing manufacturing mandates?

Seat belts were going to happen without government intervention.  Not to mention at least one state still has it right regarding grown ass adults making their own decisions about whether or not they should wear a seatbelt.

That's ok, soon we won't be able to buy a self-driven car anyway.  Only at that point, they'll probably tell you that you can't just buy an old one either since you aren't to be trusted to operate a motor vehicle.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3326 on: July 17, 2014, 08:27:55 PM »
Back to things overheard at Work!

This one is not from work, but my MIL.  After all the used car threads, I need to share.

Her:  Are you still worried about needing to replace your (suddenly broken down) car? (about 2 months after the car broke down)
Me:  No!  It was really fortunate, my bonus this year was higher than expected and with this year's income tax return, we were able to pay cash.
Her: An income tax return that large is just not possible!
Me:  Well, we don't get employer sponsored pension like you used to, so our RRSP limit (aka 401k)... is quite large.

Her:  Must have been some bonus....   
Me:  I am very happy with it, but it wasn't exceptional....  (random change of topic to stop talking money..  she thinks we make way more than we do simply because we don't ask her for money)

ARGH.   She does not get it because she just helped my SIL (her daughter) buy a 60k new Honda Oddessy..

She just can't imagine a car costing so "little" as $12k....   

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3327 on: July 17, 2014, 08:29:29 PM »
Seat belts were going to happen without government intervention.

Don't be thick. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed. Nader's a joke now but he did a lot of good back in the day.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3328 on: July 17, 2014, 08:52:50 PM »

Sarcasm I hope?  Without doing the math I have to think that the net r.e.m. usage of this is very small relative to total usage.  I am all for hugging a tree but lets have some perspective.  If I am wrong please explain. Yes a tree saved is a tree earned, but really this would seem much less than round off error.

This comment wasn't meant to be sarcasm. My previous comment about the small car/big car discrepency being dangerous was actually meant more on the sarcasm side...although seriously, I have had a lot of close calls in parking lots trying to back out while parked next to a behemoth of a gas guzzler. So, honestly, that suggestion I think will do more to increase car backing-up securities. Any other small car drivers with me?

And, yes, I can be that green. I have been made fun of more than once for being against single-use items that I think contribute to environmental waste.

And that was my point with the original comment way back when my co-worker (this did start as an overheard at work comment by me) couldn't understand why I would oppose it. Can't you respect my opinion? I'm not trying to ban backup cameras in cars, but I want to choose if I contribute to this environmental waste or not...thank you.

Well I am done talking about this topic. Carry on with the hilarious overheard at work stories. ;-)

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3329 on: July 17, 2014, 11:58:09 PM »
And the comparison to shower or biking deaths isn't valid.  Showering and biking are going to happen Anyway, they are unstoppable.  Banning them would have severe negative consequences to accompany the slight positive consequence of saving a few lives.  Mandating backup cameras has the same slight positive consequence of saving a few lives without any of the negative consequences.  We don't all suddenly get fat and stinky when new cars have cameras.  It's a net positive decision, unlike banning biking or showering.

You are completely missing the point...

I argued that it is bad manner to pretend a poster is killing a child or should somehow kill their own child when merely pointing out that 65 death saved is a low number compared to the total population.  My examples are random activities that cause a higher number of deaths every year. I wasn't arguing against these cameras, because I frankly don't care.

$140 is what the ministry of transportation estimated as the extra cost due to this regulation, not $5. That is over two billions, most of which will be financed by credit. If you in the US decide to spend this amount of money, cool. My shares will benefit and I get cheaper cameras out of this while the inital cost is covered by US car buyers.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:02:00 AM by Christof »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3330 on: July 18, 2014, 07:45:14 AM »
I guess I should probably contribute to my unit's fund then. :/ No one's ever hit me up and I'm not the type of person to volunteer that money. Especially when there's a $25 hail and farewell about once a month.

I did have to pay about $100 for my plaque when I left the line battery and never even got one, so...

Gotta love Hail and Farewells. Thankfully I've only had to attend two in my unit and they were six months apart, but I've known units to hold them every month.  The first one was at a high-end pizza joint where everybody ended up with at least a $20 bill.  The second was at a Chinese buffet where the tab was $15 per person, but it's still annoying to have these events where you're pretty much compelled to show up and pay those prices.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3331 on: July 18, 2014, 07:56:24 AM »
Goldie, why not just tell her you bought a car that cost 1/5th of the amount she spent on her daughter's car?  Keeping that information to yourself probably perpetuates the idea you make lots more than you do.

So I feel left out by all of the stories, so I'm going to share one from my old workplace, a large law firm.

Retirement guy presents a talk and strongly encourages all of us to contribute the max to our 401ks.
Lawyer: But how can we afford to do so?!  I have private school for two kids, car payments, etc....

Keep in mind this woman earned $250K herself, and I understood had free housing (on a private campus) due to her husband's teaching job.  I worked with this lawyer, she was very smart and down-to earth, but I was appalled she wasn't in this regard.  Even in my pre-MMM days though, I was reasonably on spending and couldn't understand how she could let that sum go through her fingers without catching and keeping any of it.  It probably was due to things such as her asking me how I enjoyed the ride in the Partner's car (I am not a car person - I had no idea it was a particularly "fancy" car), and telling me she plans to buy one after she paid off her law school loans.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:59:51 AM by CommonCents »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3332 on: July 18, 2014, 11:20:44 AM »
Adding another "Overheard at work", this time from my boyfriend.

We just got back from a fabulous "fancy backpacking" (carrying all our stuff in backpacks rather than suitcases, but renting private apartments rather than hostels) trip to Budapest, Vienna, Zurich, and Paris. We travel frequently, but don't spend that much since we rent cheap apartments with kitchens and cook, plan trips around sales, don't have luggage, don't buy stuff, etc.

Yesterday he was telling one of his co-workers about it, and they asked, "So, are you broke now?", and he was like "Um... no...". I guess the norm is to come back from travelling penniless? It was kind of funny because the conversation happened on the same day our net worth finally crossed the $100,000 barrier.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3333 on: July 18, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
Adding another "Overheard at work", this time from my boyfriend.

We just got back from a fabulous "fancy backpacking" (carrying all our stuff in backpacks rather than suitcases, but renting private apartments rather than hostels) trip to Budapest, Vienna, Zurich, and Paris. We travel frequently, but don't spend that much since we rent cheap apartments with kitchens and cook, plan trips around sales, don't have luggage, don't buy stuff, etc.

Yesterday he was telling one of his co-workers about it, and they asked, "So, are you broke now?", and he was like "Um... no...". I guess the norm is to come back from travelling penniless? It was kind of funny because the conversation happened on the same day our net worth finally crossed the $100,000 barrier.

Maybe they have an association between "backpacking" and "penniless".  It fits all kinds of stereotypes that make people more comfortable with you having an awesome European vacation

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3334 on: July 18, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »

Geez... We do have electrical power and washing machines here in Europe. Our kitchens have everything you need to cook and eat, even plates, imaging this!

PilotsWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3335 on: July 18, 2014, 06:03:35 PM »

Geez... We do have electrical power and washing machines here in Europe. Our kitchens have everything you need to cook and eat, even plates, imaging this!

Wut?! Europe is wired with electricity nowadays? THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION!

Re: your earlier comment about non-rapists making it onto the registered offender list, many states have laws where relationships between people 1-3 years apart in age aren't illegal even if one person is underage. So, if I was 16 & sleeping with an 18 year old, it would be legal in many states. I'm sure that the vast majority of those on the registered offender list deserve to be on it.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3336 on: July 18, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »

Is it antimustachian if you really have to go to the bathroom to pay 0.5 EUR?

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #3337 on: July 18, 2014, 08:51:34 PM »

From what I hear it depends on where in Europe you are talking about.  For example smaller poorer villages in say Greece may not have electricity.  I think an ex-workmate said some of his relatives in Greece didn't have electricity (they certainly didn't have airconditioning as the conversation was about how they keep cool in summer with water in a pot and rotating the household sticking their feet in there).

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3338 on: July 18, 2014, 09:06:23 PM »

One of the things about Europe that irritates us the most. We've gotten better at it over the years, and now typically only end up paying two or three times a trip in genuine emergencies. We've been known to dig through the trash cans in McDonalds to find the bathroom code on receipts, or just walk in if there's no code (note - don't try this in Guatemala, where they have heavily armed guards posted outside the bathrooms). In Paris, the Japanese cultural center is right next to the Eiffel tower and has free bathrooms, if you want to go through a scanner and pretend to look at art for a bit. Zurich was nice though - public toilets everywhere that only have a suggested donation amount, but let you in free (and look like some sort of engineering marvel when they flush, like a combination of a roller coaster and a vortex).

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3339 on: July 19, 2014, 12:30:51 PM »
Are there actually public toilets in big American cities (other than airports and railway stations)? I've traveled quite a bit there, but can't really remember…

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3340 on: July 19, 2014, 02:15:35 PM »
Back to things overheard at Work!

This one is not from work, but my MIL.  After all the used car threads, I need to share.

Her:  Are you still worried about needing to replace your (suddenly broken down) car? (about 2 months after the car broke down)
Me:  No!  It was really fortunate, my bonus this year was higher than expected and with this year's income tax return, we were able to pay cash.
Her: An income tax return that large is just not possible!
Me:  Well, we don't get employer sponsored pension like you used to, so our RRSP limit (aka 401k)... is quite large.

Her:  Must have been some bonus....   
Me:  I am very happy with it, but it wasn't exceptional....  (random change of topic to stop talking money..  she thinks we make way more than we do simply because we don't ask her for money)

ARGH.   She does not get it because she just helped my SIL (her daughter) buy a 60k new Honda Oddessy..

She just can't imagine a car costing so "little" as $12k....

She Helped her daughter buy a 60k mini van? Their is so much wrong with that statement I can't even begin.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3341 on: July 19, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »
Are there actually public toilets in big American cities (other than airports and railway stations)? I've traveled quite a bit there, but can't really remember…

Yes, they're very common - any sort of mall or large store will have them in abundance, as well as gas stations, parks, beaches, and any sort of public venues or events.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #3342 on: July 19, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »
I got 3 invitations for work Xmas parties, all >$100 a head, the most expensive one $160 a head.  Included are staff who make under 40K a year. Holy guacamole!
Guess who's being a party pooper? Man, I'm saving like nearly $500 by not going.

Why do managers think employees want to spend that kind of money to eat badly prepared food with people they usually have nothing in common with other than work?

This happens A LOT being a military officer as well. You're "expected" to attend military balls and other social functions that often cost $50 or more. You're also hit up for things like "cup and flower funds." The last unit I was in made me put up $200 for that fund and I never received anything out of that fund. What a waste.

I work for a tiny company (9 employees in busy season). For some reason, my coworkers (primarily my manager) don't care about birthdays. No one knows anyone else's birthday, yet they've worked together for 10+ years. This isn't a big deal. In fact, in glad they don't make a big deal about everyone's birthday because it means spending less money and no awkward birthday work celebrations.

However, the manager and senior coworker always celebrate secretary's day. I pointed out this year that it is odd they celebrate that day. The secretary is the owner's wife during our busy time of ear only. The rest of the year they pay some young person to answer our office phone probably 3 times a day and get the mail from the mailbox. Anyway, I can understand them trying to suck up to the wife of the boss, but they get such expensive nonsense for it and then they expect the lower level employees to contribute to it. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem contributing but they don't even ask our opinion on what to give. They give the same exact gift every year. Then I find out that they do the same thing for Christmas but the present is for the owner and the wife. Again, the present is expensive and way more than I would ever want to contribute.

In the eyes of my coworkers, I'm probably just a stingy a-hole. Lol

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3343 on: July 19, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »

Value for money is always MMM.  Using a toilet when you need one is very high value in my book.  :-)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3344 on: July 19, 2014, 11:07:40 PM »

One of the things about Europe that irritates us the most. We've gotten better at it over the years, and now typically only end up paying two or three times a trip in genuine emergencies. We've been known to dig through the trash cans in McDonalds to find the bathroom code on receipts, or just walk in if there's no code (note - don't try this in Guatemala, where they have heavily armed guards posted outside the bathrooms). In Paris, the Japanese cultural center is right next to the Eiffel tower and has free bathrooms, if you want to go through a scanner and pretend to look at art for a bit. Zurich was nice though - public toilets everywhere that only have a suggested donation amount, but let you in free (and look like some sort of engineering marvel when they flush, like a combination of a roller coaster and a vortex).
I guess it means that you're literally just pissing away your money...

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3345 on: July 20, 2014, 05:45:09 AM »

In Germany these paid bathrooms are usually in touristy places, so another reason to avoid them.... Malls have free bathrooms as well as department stores. Museums, gas stations, public buildings and all big chain hotels have free publically accessible bathrooms, too. Finally, you could also get a free Regus Gold Card through one of the many offers and visit the Business Lounge in any of their office buildings that are in every major city in the US and Europe. Free bath room, and free refill in form of coffee, tea and water.

The most expensive bathroom I ever encountered was in Northern Germany in what looked like a temporary washroom in a trailer. They charged 1 Euro ten years ago.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #3346 on: July 20, 2014, 05:11:55 PM »

Yes, they're very common - any sort of mall or large store will have them in abundance, as well as gas stations, parks, beaches, and any sort of public venues or events.

Or you can go into any one of the gazillion fast food places in American.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3347 on: July 20, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
Apparently, the local credit union (they have an office on site) recommends no less than a 45% total debt-to-income ratio for people buying mortgages.

Which is pretty mindblowing if you are at that percentage, not going to lie. I didn't dare ask pre/post tax income vs debt, though the slides made it seem like pretax.

Do they mean that your cash flow per month should be about half going to mortgage? That's crazy. We're at ~33% post tax but putting away a good amount (13%) to 401k pre-tax, so I can get that # a lot higher. And then you think about the house being included with car payments and whatever else payments. Just amazing to have that level of stress attached to you having a paycheck.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3348 on: July 20, 2014, 05:43:19 PM »
And then you think about the house being included with car payments and whatever else payments. Just amazing to have that level of stress attached to you having a paycheck.

Yep that stress makes up about 1/4 of the new stories in this thread.  Removable of that stress is a huge draw for me here, and ER is a really nice side effect!  Have seen to many people that make ok money or better get stressed and upset from a modest unexpected expense, is no way to live.

Kansaslover5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3349 on: July 21, 2014, 02:28:37 AM »
The only thing that made me a little sad is that he said he didn't want to get married or have children since it would derail his financial plans. I just nodded sympathetically, but damn dude, you really can have both! But I can see how someone would think that, looking at the world around them. For the record, I don't want kids myself, but I would still feel that way if I had all the money in the world.

Tell him that some women (assuming he is a breeder) pull their own weight and might even accelerate FIRE.

He alluded to getting burned pretty bad in some past relationships. If I knew any mustachian single women, I would set him up in a heartbeat, he seems like a really nice guy! But alas, I have an excess supply of nice, single guy friends, and a dearth of female ones.

That being said, I should totally tell him about this website, and the "singles" section!

I'm in the same boat as your friend and I agree with him at this point in my life.