Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252666 times)

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #11100 on: November 04, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »

If you're taking food of the garbage you're going too far in my opinion.

Even if it is in a box and none of the food actually touched anything else in the garbage can?

We had a reception on Saturday night and I packed up all the shelf stable items and took them home with me. Corn chips, carrot sticks, potato chips, peanuts... We won't be buying snack food for a while!

It is not a food safety issue for me, but a social norms one.
If I manage to "save" the leftovers before they're thrown away then no issues (I do this all the time when we cook at work), but once they're in the garbage, well I don't fish in the garbage.

And what is the difference between saving it, while still in it's original box, from the garbage, and repackaging it to reuse?  Now if it were rando bagels that had trash on top, I see your point...fresh bagels, in a box, on top of the morning accumulation of kcups and paper cups, not a problem to me.  You ever abided by the 5 second rule or the eh, so what if the (cat/dog/kid/husband) licked/sneezed/coughed/touched after booger picking?  Frankly that's probably dirtier then trash box bagels.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11101 on: November 04, 2015, 06:09:39 PM »
The difference is how people perceive other people that pick up food from the garbage.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11102 on: November 04, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »
The difference is how people perceive other people that pick up food from the garbage.

And isn't one of the main points of this forum all about busting societal norms?

Jtrey17

• Stubble
« Reply #11103 on: November 04, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
I just fished a dozen bagels out of the trash and got caught doing it...

In all fairness they were fresh this morning, management brought in 3 dozen for a meeting in the office, meetings over and they came out after lunch and chucked the leftover box of a dozen plus the cream cheese, into the trash can.  It's a dozen perfectly good, not stale bagels that can go in my freezer.  They walked out, I assumed to go to lunch so I went in the kitchen and fished the box out, just as one of the VPs walked in.  I looked at him...he looked at me and all I could get out was a fairly high pitched "What?  I'm not letting perfectly good food go in a dumpster"  He gave me a weird look and just shrugged.  I think I have upped my already fairly high office weirdo rating a wee bit more.

And the cream cheese? Did you rescue that also?
This made me laugh. And why didn't they put out the leftovers for the rest of the office rather than toss them?

I feel better knowing that at least these bagels will not go to waste!

Many people are averse to "old" food or leftovers.  Those bagels were for breakfast, and now breakfast has passed, therefore they are old and no longer good, toss 'em.

A few weeks ago we were at my wife's friend's house for dinner.  They were making guacamole, and had the avacados all smashed up.  They opened up the guacamole seasoning, poured half of it in the bowl, and threw the rest of the package away.  I called them out on it immediately, "wtf are you doing? Why would you throw the guac seasoning away? It's a  dry seasoning...why don't you just fold it back up or put it in a zip lock and use it next time?"

They just stared blankly at me as if they never even considered you could potentially save the dry mix that you didn't use.   I seriously considered taking the packet out of the garbage and putting it in my pocket to take home.  My wife agreed with me, but thought it was a social faux pas to retrieve the unused portion so we just let it go.  So wasteful though.
guac seasoning? Skip it all together and use fresh ingredients!

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11104 on: November 04, 2015, 07:37:57 PM »
Small thing, grating on me.

In work everyone has reusable cups, awesome idea as it saves the environment and you save 50c every time you buy a coffee (don't worry I squashed that habit upon stumbling onto MMM). Everyone has these cups: www.keepcup.com and I do too, however my sister in law's work got free cups that are in a blue and black and not the "fancy" multicoloured ones and she snagged one for me of THE SAME BRAND, but blue and black.

CW - You need a new cup
Me - Why? It's same brand but my one is dull colours
CW - It's dull, just buy a new cup, you need a new cup
Me - Um, no
CW - They are only $13 NZ (or something like that)
Me - Okay

A week later...

CW - Have you not bought a new cup yet?
Me - No
CW - Buy a new cup, you need a new cup
Me - I'm probably not going to do that

A week later... you get where this is going...

I DO NOT NEED A NEW CUP. My cup is perfectly fine and even if it wasn't, I have other thermal cups. I will NOT be buying a new cup!!!

I feel like the drink and drugs advert - Just say no. Do not give in to peer pressure!!

Just buy the cup man. All your friends have one. One won't hurt, it'll help you relax.
You too good to buy a cup like the rest of us? Cup chicken? Bwok bwok bwok.....

I'm now waiting to be told how all the cool kids are doing it...

Is it wrong that I'm now online "designing my own KeepCup"?  ;-)  (But not buying -- just designing.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:52:17 PM by LeRainDrop »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11105 on: November 04, 2015, 08:40:14 PM »

In work everyone has reusable cups, awesome idea as it saves the environment and you save 50c every time you buy a coffee (don't worry I squashed that habit upon stumbling onto MMM). Everyone has these cups: www.keepcup.com and I do too, however my sister in law's work got free cups that are in a blue and black and not the "fancy" multicoloured ones and she snagged one for me of THE SAME BRAND, but blue and black.

CW - You need a new cup
Me - Um, no
Me - Okay

A week later...

Me - No

I DO NOT NEED A NEW CUP. My cup is perfectly fine and even if it wasn't, I have other thermal cups. I will NOT be buying a new cup!!!

I feel like the drink and drugs advert - Just say no. Do not give in to peer pressure!!

Just buy the cup man. All your friends have one. One won't hurt, it'll help you relax.

Is it wrong that I'm now online "designing my own KeepCup"?  ;-)  (But not buying -- just designing.)

Next time they ask you, just say "I bought a new cup -- here it is" and show them the old one.  Tell them you "designed your own cup" and specifically chose black and blue because it reminds you of the depression your feel at work.  Tell them it's a limited edition for charity and only costs $50 NZ

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11106 on: November 05, 2015, 01:25:00 AM »
Next time they ask you, just say "I bought a new cup -- here it is" and show them the old one.  Tell them you "designed your own cup" and specifically chose black and blue because it reminds you of the depression your feel at work.  Tell them it's a limited edition for charity and only costs $50 NZ

Better yet, borrow your sister-in-law's, since she'll have one.  Then you can have your cup out, and when it's brought up say "oh, I did buy a new one!" and whip out the second one, same colors.

And tell them you just like the colors of that.

Then return to SIL, and see it never mentioned again, because they know you're serious about keeping that one.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

LifeAtTheLodgeHouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11107 on: November 05, 2015, 01:35:24 AM »
CW - You need a new cup
Me - Um, no
Me - Okay

A week later...

Me - No

I had a similar experience with a staple remover. Mine had a little piece of the plastic broke off the grip, and the admin got all worked up about it. "You need a new staple remover!" "Your's is BROKEN, don't you want a new one?" Broken?! It still worked perfectly!

After a couple weeks a new one appeared in my in box. I just let it sit there, and it disappeared after a few days. That was 19 years ago, and the "broken" staple remover has served me well all this time.

I'd put money on my cup outlasting theirs aswell :)

LifeAtTheLodgeHouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11108 on: November 05, 2015, 01:36:17 AM »

CW - You need a new cup
Me - Um, no
Me - Okay

A week later...

Me - No

No, I did it too. Just designing, not buying, of course :) I'm not cool enough to buy one...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:40:27 AM by LifeAtTheLodgeHouse »

LifeAtTheLodgeHouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11109 on: November 05, 2015, 01:38:58 AM »

Better yet, borrow your sister-in-law's, since she'll have one.  Then you can have your cup out, and when it's brought up say "oh, I did buy a new one!" and whip out the second one, same colors.

And tell them you just like the colors of that.

Then return to SIL, and see it never mentioned again, because they know you're serious about keeping that one.

I'm seriously thinking I might actually do this...

Me - I did buy a new cup...turns out I like black and blue :)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11110 on: November 05, 2015, 04:50:02 AM »
Haha, this immediately sprang to mind... *edit: bagels in a box, I would have pulled them out, too!

That was I thought of too.:P

I would probably take bagels out of a bin if they had just been put in there and they were in packaging.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #11111 on: November 05, 2015, 07:14:52 AM »

In all fairness they were fresh this morning, management brought in 3 dozen for a meeting in the office, meetings over and they came out after I'm done eating lunch and chucked the leftover box of a dozen plus the cream cheese, into the trash can.  It's a dozen perfectly good, not stale bagels that can go in my freezer.  They walked out, I assumed to go to lunch so I went in the kitchen and fished the box out, just as one of the VPs walked in.  I looked at him...he looked at me and all I could get out was a fairly high pitched "What?  I'm not letting perfectly good food go in a dumpster"  He gave me a weird look and just shrugged.  I think I have upped my already fairly high office weirdo rating a wee bit more.

At my workplace, meeting leftovers get put on a table in the common area, and cause a feeding frenzy. People call to each other or send email, "Pastries in the commons", "Mexican food out", "Donuts!", and the stuff is usually gone pretty fast. But I'll snatch up condiments left behind, those containers of cream cheese are the best! I have a large one from Panera in my fridge right now.

Another good thing to grab is the plastic serving utensils and containers. Catered meals from places like Baja Fresh includes sets of large serving spoons, forks, tongs, and bowls with covers that are great for taking food to parties. Yeah, I get those looks sometimes when I'm fishing plastic ware out of the trash.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #11112 on: November 05, 2015, 07:29:38 AM »
So I was traveling this week with a co-worker who makes about the same salary as I do - not quite six figures, but close.  We get paid a flat rate for per diem and can purchase our own meals or use our corporate card and then pay the bill when it comes.  He was complaining about some snafu with reconciling his corporate card for a meal he'd purchased on a previous trip and I said that was why I don't use the corporate card for meals.  He said "well, towards the end of the trip sometimes I'm running out of money..."  Umm, we never travel longer than a work week - you seriously don't have $10 to your name for lunch, or a CC that you pay off each month?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11113 on: November 05, 2015, 07:39:47 AM »

In all fairness they were fresh this morning, management brought in 3 dozen for a meeting in the office, meetings over and they came out after lunch and chucked the leftover box of a dozen plus the cream cheese, into the trash can.  It's a dozen perfectly good, not stale bagels that can go in my freezer.  They walked out, I assumed to go to lunch so I went in the kitchen and fished the box out, just as one of the VPs walked in.  I looked at him...he looked at me and all I could get out was a fairly high pitched "What?  I'm not letting perfectly good food go in a dumpster"  He gave me a weird look and just shrugged.  I think I have upped my already fairly high office weirdo rating a wee bit more.

This made me laugh. And why didn't they put out the leftovers for the rest of the office rather than toss them?

Many people are averse to "old" food or leftovers.  Those bagels were for breakfast, and now breakfast has passed, therefore they are old and no longer good, toss 'em.

A few weeks ago we were at my wife's friend's house for dinner.  They were making guacamole, and had the avacados all smashed up.  They opened up the guacamole seasoning, poured half of it in the bowl, and threw the rest of the package away.  I called them out on it immediately, "wtf are you doing? Why would you throw the guac seasoning away? It's a  dry seasoning...why don't you just fold it back up or put it in a zip lock and use it next time?"

They just stared blankly at me as if they never even considered you could potentially save the dry mix that you didn't use.   I seriously considered taking the packet out of the garbage and putting it in my pocket to take home.  My wife agreed with me, but thought it was a social faux pas to retrieve the unused portion so we just let it go.  So wasteful though.

Like what?  I can't ever replicate what is in those seasoning packets.  It doesn't taste right.  We usually use far less than recommended too, so we get about 4-5 batches out of a single packet, so our annual guac spice budget is probably less than $5.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11114 on: November 05, 2015, 08:16:06 AM »

Like what?  I can't ever replicate what is in those seasoning packets.  It doesn't taste right.  We usually use far less than recommended too, so we get about 4-5 batches out of a single packet, so our annual guac spice budget is probably less than $5.

Avacado. Copious amounts of onion. Copious amounts of cilantro. Tomato. Lime juice. Kosher/Sea Salt. More cilantro.

Optional: Garlic and Jalapeno

Try it, add more salt if necessary.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #11115 on: November 05, 2015, 08:53:51 AM »

In all fairness they were fresh this morning, management brought in 3 dozen for a meeting in the office, meetings over and they came out after I'm done eating lunch and chucked the leftover box of a dozen plus the cream cheese, into the trash can.  It's a dozen perfectly good, not stale bagels that can go in my freezer.  They walked out, I assumed to go to lunch so I went in the kitchen and fished the box out, just as one of the VPs walked in.  I looked at him...he looked at me and all I could get out was a fairly high pitched "What?  I'm not letting perfectly good food go in a dumpster"  He gave me a weird look and just shrugged.  I think I have upped my already fairly high office weirdo rating a wee bit more.

I would totally do that if they were in a box. I actually did do that with one of those giant bags of chips that Qdoba brings for catering. I got a weird look for that, but come on, it was a sealed ziploc bag. It's not like the magical garbage germs teleported through the plastic.

My office buys too many bagels almost every Friday. I've had free bagels for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday for months now, and at times had up to a half dozen containers of cream cheese in the fridge. The funny thing is nobody else will take them. I've even packaged the leftovers up in the bag with cream cheese and physically tried to give it to people, but they won't take it. Bizarre. I've also been eating leftover company pizza for days now, while everyone goes out to lunch.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #11116 on: November 05, 2015, 09:11:21 AM »

Avacado. Copious amounts of onion. Copious amounts of cilantro. Tomato. Lime juice. Kosher/Sea Salt. More cilantro.

Don't forget ground coriander (cilantro seeds). I smash 'em up with my mortar & pestle, but you can get it pre-ground. (I just happened to find like a pound of whole coriander at the Korean grocery store for like $2)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11117 on: November 05, 2015, 09:35:07 AM »
We just had a meeting at a really ritzy hotel. After all the consultants had left, I took a baggie and filled it up with the leftover candy from the break snack bar.  I got about a pound of gummy bears and M&Ms.

My insanely frugal boss was really mad I didn't have more bags; because I left SO much still out there; and it was all still paid for.

I fully expect that next meeting he comes with a box of ziplocks.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #11118 on: November 05, 2015, 09:47:32 AM »
Colleagues signing up for a group lottery purchase (and yes I joined in, I'm a sucker for the lottery fantasy a few times per year!).  We would win 5M each.  The general consensus amongst the group of ~40 YO colleagues was that this would NOT be enough to retire on.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11119 on: November 05, 2015, 10:04:02 AM »
Colleagues signing up for a group lottery purchase (and yes I joined in, I'm a sucker for the lottery fantasy a few times per year!).  We would win 5M each.  The general consensus amongst the group of ~40 YO colleagues was that this would NOT be enough to retire on.
Jeebus. I could retire with an army of servants on that much, but I realize my COL is below average... >.<

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11120 on: November 05, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »
Jeebus. I could retire with an army of servants on that much, but I realize my COL is below average... >.<

Even cutting that in half after taxes, the SWR on that would be more than my income.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #11121 on: November 05, 2015, 10:10:44 AM »

Even cutting that in half after taxes, the SWR on that would be more than my income.

We're in Canada, so tax free lottery :)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11122 on: November 05, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »
Yeah, I'm an engineer so everyone is pretty frugal.  There was a long email thread once at my last company when someone realized that all the leftover food from the cafeteria was thrown out every night.  People were horrified at the waste, but it turned out there wasn't any other choice (like donating, etc.) due to food safety and liability reasons.  It's really too bad, I'm sure most people at the office would have welcomed the free leftovers.

There's a federal law protecting food donors from liability from donated food. It's been on the books for nearly 20 years.
http://media.law.uark.edu/arklawnotes/2013/08/08/the-legal-guide-to-the-bill-emerson-good-samaritan-food-donation-act/

I hear this all the time, and it's really sad. The Second Harvest organization in my area is always willing to talk to potential food donors about stuff like this, and I would hope that's a nationwide approach.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #11123 on: November 05, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »
Yeah, I'm an engineer so everyone is pretty frugal.  There was a long email thread once at my last company when someone realized that all the leftover food from the cafeteria was thrown out every night.  People were horrified at the waste, but it turned out there wasn't any other choice (like donating, etc.) due to food safety and liability reasons.  It's really too bad, I'm sure most people at the office would have welcomed the free leftovers.

There's a federal law protecting food donors from liability from donated food. It's been on the books for nearly 20 years.
http://media.law.uark.edu/arklawnotes/2013/08/08/the-legal-guide-to-the-bill-emerson-good-samaritan-food-donation-act/

I hear this all the time, and it's really sad. The Second Harvest organization in my area is always willing to talk to potential food donors about stuff like this, and I would hope that's a nationwide approach.

That's great to know. I've donated leftover food to the local womens' shelter, and one of my CWs collects leftover cafeteria food for a weekly dinner offered by her church. They're jazzed to get it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11124 on: November 05, 2015, 01:31:53 PM »

Yeah, any dry seasoning packet is gonna make it taste like Taco Bell guac, straight from the caulking gun

I say leave out the cilantro and add tomatoes if that's your thing

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11125 on: November 05, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »

Yeah, any dry seasoning packet is gonna make it taste like Taco Bell guac, straight from the caulking gun

I say leave out the cilantro and add tomatoes if that's your thing

I don't even know what would be in 'guac seasoning'.  Other than cilantro guac doesn't have herbs or spices.  I guess maybe dried jalapeno and dried onion?  'Just add avacados'?

Fair warning, if you're making guac for a group, ask about cilantro first.  I'm one of the 10% that are genetically grossed out by it, so the 'copious amounts of cilatro, then more cilantro' makes me wince ;-)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11126 on: November 05, 2015, 02:05:04 PM »
My office buys too many bagels almost every Friday. I've had free bagels for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday for months now, and at times had up to a half dozen containers of cream cheese in the fridge. The funny thing is nobody else will take them. I've even packaged the leftovers up in the bag with cream cheese and physically tried to give it to people, but they won't take it. Bizarre. I've also been eating leftover company pizza for days now, while everyone goes out to lunch.
Soudns like you are doing a lot of income tax avoidance here, you destroyer of society!

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11127 on: November 05, 2015, 02:21:46 PM »
So I was traveling this week with a co-worker who makes about the same salary as I do - not quite six figures, but close.  We get paid a flat rate for per diem and can purchase our own meals or use our corporate card and then pay the bill when it comes.  He was complaining about some snafu with reconciling his corporate card for a meal he'd purchased on a previous trip and I said that was why I don't use the corporate card for meals.  He said "well, towards the end of the trip sometimes I'm running out of money..."  Umm, we never travel longer than a work week - you seriously don't have $10 to your name for lunch, or a CC that you pay off each month?
Not quite related, but at my work, most folks aren't allowed a purchase card. They take out a credit card in their name, sponsored by work, to use for work-related expenses. Every time travel occurs, I hear folks talk about how it is advantageous because a card holder gets 2 months to pay it off before interest kicks in.
(1) You can't pay off your work charges (generally a few K) in one month? Something is wrong..
(2) I'd rather open a new line of credit of my own choosing so I can get a sign up bonus, or at the least use an old card to get rewards.
Whether I use the company-sponsored card or my personal card it takes a month to get reimbursed so I'd rather earn personal money from company spending.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11128 on: November 05, 2015, 02:25:50 PM »
Fair warning, if you're making guac for a group, ask about cilantro first.  I'm one of the 10% that are genetically grossed out by it, so the 'copious amounts of cilatro, then more cilantro' makes me wince ;-)
You poor, poor soul. I can pretty much make a salad outta that shit.

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11129 on: November 05, 2015, 02:42:55 PM »
OMG! What are you people doing to guacamole?! What in the actual fuck is a guacamole seasoning packet?!

Avocados. Tomatoes. Lime juice. Salt. Jalapenos. Onion. Garlic. A freaking pinch of stupid cilantro, if you must, but it is super unnecessary because most people think they become Bobby Flay by dumping cilantro onto anything, and then say, "Look, we're having Mexican food!" Bah!

Okay, I'm done.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11130 on: November 05, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »
OMG! What are you people doing to guacamole?! What in the actual fuck is a guacamole seasoning packet?!

Avocados. Tomatoes. Lime juice. Salt. Jalapenos. Onion. Garlic. A freaking pinch of stupid cilantro, if you must, but it is super unnecessary because most people think they become Bobby Flay by dumping cilantro onto anything, and then say, "Look, we're having Mexican food!" Bah!

Okay, I'm done.
You're awful uppity for a n00b. But hilarious. ;)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11131 on: November 05, 2015, 03:19:57 PM »
You poor, poor soul. I can pretty much make a salad outta that shit.

No kidding. The most important part of Mexican food.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11132 on: November 05, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »

A freaking pinch of stupid cilantro, if you must, but it is super unnecessary

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11133 on: November 05, 2015, 03:29:30 PM »
It's true even for plain old bike helmets.  The regulated bar for safety is pretty high, anything other than that is probably just for show.

In car racing helmets--similar to motorcycle helmets--often times the cost goes along with extra features or comfort. They don't get safer the more you spend.

Car racing helmets get more expensive just for being labeled for "car racing" instead of "motorcycle" use. (Yes, I know there are differences between Snell SA and M ratings, but not enough to justify the 200% higher price!)

That said, I'm sure it's actually worth having a nice helmet depending on the kind of racing/riding you do. I wouldn't know; I only use mine for autocross, for 5 minutes at a time.

We just had a meeting at a really ritzy hotel. After all the consultants had left, I took a baggie and filled it up with the leftover candy from the break snack bar.  I got about a pound of gummy bears and M&Ms.

My insanely frugal boss was really mad I didn't have more bags; because I left SO much still out there; and it was all still paid for.

I fully expect that next meeting he comes with a box of ziplocks.

What a poser. Somebody truly insanely frugal would mooch a trash bag from the hotel custodial staff!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11134 on: November 05, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
It's true even for plain old bike helmets.  The regulated bar for safety is pretty high, anything other than that is probably just for show.

In car racing helmets--similar to motorcycle helmets--often times the cost goes along with extra features or comfort. They don't get safer the more you spend.

Car racing helmets get more expensive just for being labeled for "car racing" instead of "motorcycle" use. (Yes, I know there are differences between Snell SA and M ratings, but not enough to justify the 200% higher price!)

That said, I'm sure it's actually worth having a nice helmet depending on the kind of racing/riding you do. I wouldn't know; I only use mine for autocross, for 5 minutes at a time.

Where are you finding 5 minute autocross courses???

But same here. I think I paid $120 for my SA2005 ZAMP helmet. Cheapest one I could find. Wish I hadn't gotten a full face one, but at the time I had a Miata and was considering doing track days.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11135 on: November 05, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »

But same here. I think I paid $120 for my SA2005 ZAMP helmet. Cheapest one I could find. Wish I hadn't gotten a full face one, but at the time I had a Miata and was considering doing track days.

Man...I would get SO LOST on a 5 minute autox course!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11136 on: November 05, 2015, 03:48:05 PM »

For future reference, next time say you like going to the park to feed the ducks.

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #11137 on: November 05, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »

Okay, I'm done.

This is hiliarious and I agree mostly but I don't do the garlic or the jalapenos (little kids) and sooooooo many people compliment me on my amazing guacamole and want my "recipe" lol.  I mean, you can literally see what's in it:  avocados, tomatoes (nice and ripe and lots of them) and about 1/2 of a white onion chopped up fine.  Salt generously and squeeze in 1/2 to a whole lime's worth of juice and done.  So delicious.  So easy... WTF is Guac Seasoning?  I would call that SALT. 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #11138 on: November 05, 2015, 04:04:32 PM »
I cheat, I mix avocado with salsa.  Done, guacamole.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #11139 on: November 05, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »
Wow, it looks gorgeous Seppia.:)

On topic - my husband works with men who constantly use the gambling apps at work, one of the young men he works with was up by Ģ9,000 the other day and then lost it all. The younger staff are not on great salaries either so that would be about four months of wages.
Has he not yet mastered only playing the rounds he'll win? How unfortunate. Well, if he keeps at it he'll get the hang of it.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11140 on: November 05, 2015, 04:41:56 PM »

I included the entire time from leaving grid to arriving back in grid. I wish the course were that long!

I bought myself and my wife clearance M2010 helmets from motorcyclegear.com for $100 (for the pair), then returned them because I found some that were being given away for free on my neighborhood's web forum. Return shipping was $8 or so, but it was totally worth it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11141 on: November 05, 2015, 05:53:53 PM »
What in the actual fuck is a guacamole seasoning packet?!

WTF is Guac Seasoning?  I would call that SALT. 

OK, if I had to guess, I'd say: Onion power, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, maltodextrin, MSG, anti-caking agent

now lets see what the actual ingredients are:

Ortega Guacamole Seasoning Mix
Ingredients
Maltodextrin, Dehydrated Onion, Salt, Tapioca Starch-Modified Nonfat Dry Milk, Dehydrated Red Bell Pepper, Dehydrated Garlic, Sour Cream Powder (Sour Cream [Cream, Nonfat Milk, Cultures], Cultured Nonfat Milk, Citric Acid), Citric Acid, Dehydrated Parsley, Lactic Acid, Calcium Lactate, Dehydrated Jalapeno Peppers. Contains: Milk.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #11142 on: November 05, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »
Don't forget to rinse the chopped onions. I like to add a dash of cumin too. Had some for dinner tonight. I even used jalapenos and tomatoes from my garden. Mmmmmmm.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #11143 on: November 05, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »

Better helmets are totally worth it. My first SA2000 helmet was a $300 Bell that creased my forehead bad after a 30 minute sprint race. My SA2010 helmet is a Stig look-alike (not my helmet, but looks the same): http://i.imgur.com/aODv8.jpg

Way more comfortable, tinted visor is totally worth it on sunny days, and it only set me back $500. *sigh* Racing and MMM don't necessarily go hand-in-hand, but damn if it isn't my favorite thing to do. Pretty sure I've spent less in a decade than most people with new car/fancy house habits, so I don't feel terribly bad.

Next up, Cool Suit setup for under $100 out of a used once medical surgery ice pump setup. It'll be bitchin' on humid 90* days when the interior temp is >110*. Wooo... ;)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11144 on: November 05, 2015, 08:05:27 PM »

Better helmets are totally worth it. My first SA2000 helmet was a $300 Bell that creased my forehead bad after a 30 minute sprint race. My SA2010 helmet is a Stig look-alike (not my helmet, but looks the same): http://i.imgur.com/aODv8.jpg

Way more comfortable, tinted visor is totally worth it on sunny days, and it only set me back $500. *sigh* Racing and MMM don't necessarily go hand-in-hand, but damn if it isn't my favorite thing to do. Pretty sure I've spent less in a decade than most people with new car/fancy house habits, so I don't feel terribly bad.

Next up, Cool Suit setup for under $100 out of a used once medical surgery ice pump setup. It'll be bitchin' on humid 90* days when the interior temp is >110*. Wooo... ;)

I have a cool shirt and it's amazing. Massive wash of cold over your torso...so nice.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #11145 on: November 05, 2015, 09:52:20 PM »

Okay, I'm done.

This is hiliarious and I agree mostly but I don't do the garlic or the jalapenos (little kids) and sooooooo many people compliment me on my amazing guacamole and want my "recipe" lol.  I mean, you can literally see what's in it:  avocados, tomatoes (nice and ripe and lots of them) and about 1/2 of a white onion chopped up fine.  Salt generously and squeeze in 1/2 to a whole lime's worth of juice and done.  So delicious.  So easy... WTF is Guac Seasoning?  I would call that SALT.
I understand the kids/jalapeņo part of that, but garlic? Since when is garlic not kid-friendly? Spaghetti sauce is like 10% by volume garlic!*

* potential exaggeration

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #11146 on: November 06, 2015, 07:49:05 AM »
The difference is raw garlic vs sauteed in spaghetti sauce, so it would have a stronger flavor I imagine.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #11147 on: November 06, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »

Okay, I'm done.

I understand the kids/jalapeņo part of that, but garlic? Since when is garlic not kid-friendly? Spaghetti sauce is like 10% by volume garlic!*

* potential exaggeration

Apparently some people here have vampire babies.

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #11148 on: November 06, 2015, 09:24:02 AM »

Okay, I'm done.

* potential exaggeration

Ha!  Well the no jalapeņo was for the kids and *I* choose not to put garlic in but more because it never even crossed my mind to do so.  You all may have convinced me to try it but I don't really feel like I'm missing it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11149 on: November 06, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »

Okay, I'm done.

* potential exaggeration

Ha!  Well the no jalapeņo was for the kids and *I* choose not to put garlic in but more because it never even crossed my mind to do so.  You all may have convinced me to try it but I don't really feel like I'm missing it.

This is whats wrong with the world today.  You people baby your offspring.  How are they going to learn to eat spicy foods in the REAL WORLD like a boss?  What you're really doing is sending them out into life unprepared.  Whatcha gonna do when 19-year old Johnny goes to his first margarita college party and gets a little jalepeno in his eye during the guacamole mudwrestling contest?  Flush it with saline from your giant purse?

*read in the voice of George Carlin

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!