Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253344 times)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #4100 on: September 10, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »
Check to see if there's a workaround: I don't know for sure if the percentage is capped at my place, because what I put in is actually a fixed dollar amount every month. If they'll let you do that, they might not check to see how much of a percentage of your pay a fixed dollar amount was.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4101 on: September 10, 2014, 12:48:20 PM »

. If anybody can find direct documentation from the IRS on the matter of restricting non-HCE contributions, I think that would be great for people on this forum (myself included when I find a real job after graduation). I really can't imagine that it be legal for companies to restrict the contributions of non-HCE's (in fact, it could potentially make it harder for companies to meet the non discrimination test, where HCEs can't contribute significantly more as a percentage of non-HCE's, or something to that effect).
From IRS.gov
#1 seems to have nothing to qualify other than the plan's terms.

Plan-based restrictions on elective deferrals
These restrictions may further reduce the maximum allowable elective deferrals:
1. Your plan's terms may impose a lower limit on elective deferrals
2. If you are a manager, owner, or highly compensated employee, your plan might need to limit your elective deferrals to pass nondiscrimination tests

Ugh, that's really disappointing to hear.

But the ability to put a high percentage of your income each check away to meet the cap is something that most people don't run into.  If you are only saving 5%, you don't care that you can't contribute more than 15%. 

True, but this is of high importance to many Mustachians--as you yourself noted.

Well, that's just the way it is I suppose. The tax code isn't really intended to be fair anyways.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #4102 on: September 10, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »

. If anybody can find direct documentation from the IRS on the matter of restricting non-HCE contributions, I think that would be great for people on this forum (myself included when I find a real job after graduation). I really can't imagine that it be legal for companies to restrict the contributions of non-HCE's (in fact, it could potentially make it harder for companies to meet the non discrimination test, where HCEs can't contribute significantly more as a percentage of non-HCE's, or something to that effect).
From IRS.gov
#1 seems to have nothing to qualify other than the plan's terms.

Plan-based restrictions on elective deferrals
These restrictions may further reduce the maximum allowable elective deferrals:
1. Your plan's terms may impose a lower limit on elective deferrals
2. If you are a manager, owner, or highly compensated employee, your plan might need to limit your elective deferrals to pass nondiscrimination tests

Ugh, that's really disappointing to hear.

But the ability to put a high percentage of your income each check away to meet the cap is something that most people don't run into.  If you are only saving 5%, you don't care that you can't contribute more than 15%. 

True, but this is of high importance to many Mustachians--as you yourself noted.

Well, that's just the way it is I suppose. The tax code isn't really intended to be fair anyways.

There isn't an option to contribute a fixed amount, only a percentage from 1-17%.

I will call the plan provider directly and see what they have to say about it.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #4103 on: September 10, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
Just demand a pay raise to $103,000, and at 17% you got your $17,500 401k deposit. Either that or offer them a compromise of raising the percentage withheld so that you can put in $17.5k at your present salary. Maybe they'll see the issue then.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:45:23 PM by MikeBear »

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4104 on: September 10, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »
@ klystomane
@ johnny847

If your employer is willing, they can do a special payroll run for you to get around this ridiculous limitation. Here's a real quick breakdown of how it works:

You want to make a $5,000 contribution.
You write a check to your employer for $5,414 (The $414 is grossed up FICA taxes).
Employer runs a payroll with a memo entry of $5,414 taxable wages, no W/H other than FICA and $5,000 net pay.
But they don't pay you, that net pay goes into a due from employee account and your check clears that amount out.

We do this all the time. It's very easy, and as far as I know, completely legal. It's all reported via your W-2 so the IRS gets their cut.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4105 on: September 10, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »
@ klystomane
@ johnny847

If your employer is willing, they can do a special payroll run for you to get around this ridiculous limitation. Here's a real quick breakdown of how it works:

You want to make a $5,000 contribution.
You write a check to your employer for $5,414 (The $414 is grossed up FICA taxes).
Employer runs a payroll with a memo entry of $5,414 taxable wages, no W/H other than FICA and $5,000 net pay.
But they don't pay you, that net pay goes into a due from employee account and your check clears that amount out.

We do this all the time. It's very easy, and as far as I know, completely legal. It's all reported via your W-2 so the IRS gets their cut.
Interesting that this is possible, but this is a last resort solution as ideally you wouldn't have to pay FICA taxes twice to be able to contribute to the max (since that $5000 your'e contributing in that scenario represents post FICA tax wages). And for me personally this is not an issue at the moment, I'm a grad student and don't qualify for any retirement plans. I just wanted to know for the future.

Just demand a pay raise to $103,000, and at 17% you got your $17,500 401k deposit. Either that or offer them a compromise of raising the percentage withheld so that you can put in $17.5k at your present salary. Maybe they'll see the issue then.
Hahaha I like this solution =P

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4106 on: September 10, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »
You just saved me several thousand dollars. Thank you!

: ) Welcome.

Interesting that this is possible, but this is a last resort solution as ideally you wouldn't have to pay FICA taxes twice to be able to contribute to the max (since that $5000 your'e contributing in that scenario represents post FICA tax wages).

Good point. We tend to do this kind of thing for business owners who've already surpassed the SS Wage Base so it doesn't affect them as much.

And now that I think about it more, there's a way around the FICA part as well. This can all just go in as a memo entry in your payroll, it doesn't even need to run through gross wages. You are simply using the payroll reporting system to funnel more funds into your 401k - you still need to comply with all the ERISA/IRS limits. We do this a lot at year end so the details are always vague in my head during the year. This same method can be used to pay in a large chunk of payroll withholdings at year end if your income goes up for whatever reason during the year.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4107 on: September 10, 2014, 02:21:53 PM »
You just saved me several thousand dollars. Thank you!

: ) Welcome.

Interesting that this is possible, but this is a last resort solution as ideally you wouldn't have to pay FICA taxes twice to be able to contribute to the max (since that $5000 your'e contributing in that scenario represents post FICA tax wages).

Good point. We tend to do this kind of thing for business owners who've already surpassed the SS Wage Base so it doesn't affect them as much.

And now that I think about it more, there's a way around the FICA part as well. This can all just go in as a memo entry in your payroll, it doesn't even need to run through gross wages. You are simply using the payroll reporting system to funnel more funds into your 401k - you still need to comply with all the ERISA/IRS limits. We do this a lot at year end so the details are always vague in my head during the year. This same method can be used to pay in a large chunk of payroll withholdings at year end if your income goes up for whatever reason during the year.

Well the contribution still represents post income tax wages as well, which negates the benefit of putting that money into a traditional 401k. If that money is destined for a Roth 401k, then there's no difference. And even if you surpass the SS wage base, there's still the medicare tax (but like you mentioned, it's not much at 1.45%).

What exactly is a memo entry in payroll? How can it not run through gross wages? This part confuses me.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4108 on: September 10, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »
I've only done a bit of payroll so I'm not an expert, but you can do memo entries. If memory serves and you go by my second example I believe you can use the memo entry as a reduction in Box1 (Federally taxable wages) and an increase in Box13 (or whatever the 401k contribution box is).

You're basically just altering the payroll records to more properly reflect what actually occurred. You are using this $5,000 contribution as if you'd made the contribution earlier in the year via regular net pay reductions. I think serpentstooth actually does some payroll regularly as part of her job so maybe she can add some insight here.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4109 on: September 10, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »
Which payroll processors/401k administrators have you done this with? We have ADP/Fidelity here and I want to clear this with both of them and then present the plan to my boss. Our plan allows you to contribute 90% of eligible pay to the 401k, but new hires aren't eligible right away and I started midyear, so I can't manage to max it out this year. Would it go something like this?

I make $50,000/annum
401k plan rules allow me to contribute $12,500 this year

I write my boss a check for $5,000. He does a special payroll run and the entire $5,000 is deducted and sent to Fidelity as a 401k contribution.

My W-2 income at year's end is $32,500 ($50,000-17,500)? Or would it be $37,500 ($50,000-17,500+5,000)

We've done this with ADP and Paychex for payroll processors, and that's the key vendor you need to be clear with. The 401K TPA is largely irrelevant. They get a check designated for serpentstooth and they put it in your account. As long as it doesn't exceed 17,500 you're fine.

I would call your ADP rep either before or after you discuss it with your boss. If ADP won't do it for you, you're out of luck, but they've likely run something like this before for other clients.

W-2 would show as $32,500 if done properly. This is a federal income reduction. $32,500 in Box 1, $50,000 in Box 3 and 5 barring no other pre-tax deductions.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #4110 on: September 10, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »

Sometimes it pays off...In my case, I spent thousands over the years taking my son to lacrosse events up and down the east coast. He always had excellent equipment and some private lessons. Not only did he get a generous academic package to college he got 2k a year to play lacrosse. 8 grand that does not have to come out of my pocket. Money well spent considering all the time we spent together traveling and bonding. I would do it all over again. Now, in retirement, I get to watch him play his sport, his passion at just about the highest level.

Isn't this survivorship bias?  It would be like a lottery winner explaining how his $500/mo investment in lottery tickets was great because it all worked out and he hit the multi million dollar jackpot.   Sometimes it pays off.

There is something a little more profound to spending quality time with your son than throwing money away on lottery tickets. A terrible anology....so, no

That wasn't your original point though, your original point was that it "paid off" financially.  I don't think the financial aspect should be a consideration.  Would you have made the same post if your son had never advanced beyond that final high priced lesson?  The entire tone of your post would be radically different.  Back to the original point that was made, you could get plenty of profound quality time with your son, if that is your goal, without spending $500/mo on specialized hobbies.
[/quote

Since you know everything about me, including how much I spent on my son....you win!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4111 on: September 10, 2014, 03:17:03 PM »

He was out of work for an entire 2 weeks and they spent 20k of her 401k money to pre-pay for a Hawaiian vacation in a private condo and pay bills down on multiple mortgages, personal loans and CC's.

*gasp*
Take out a 401k loan for a vacation?
Pay for a vacation when you are out of work?
Pay extra on loans when you are out of work?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4112 on: September 11, 2014, 03:46:41 AM »
Co-worker: "I need some more ideas for my other half's Christmas present. I've bought him x, and y, and z [all useless shit, apart from one work shirt, which was, of course, a ridiculously over-priced brand]... I still need to spend about another £100... Any ideas?"

Me: Silence.

Me (in my head): We define the word 'need' very differently.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4113 on: September 11, 2014, 03:59:37 AM »
I assumed x, y and z were presents from previous years. Oh how wrong I was.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4114 on: September 11, 2014, 04:19:43 AM »
I assumed x, y and z were presents from previous years. Oh how wrong I was.

Ha ha! Yep, she was trying to get the cost of this year's total present haul up to some arbitrary number so that she had spent enough on him.

Obviously this is the same co-worker who complained about not seeing her 18 month old child in the week because she worked such long hours (and commuted so long) to buy the all the stuff.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #4115 on: September 11, 2014, 06:42:17 AM »
Coworker was bitching about her commute - about a 45 min drive, I think, a few towns over.  I asked why she lived there and worked here.  She looked at me like I was crazy, and said, "What do you mean, why?  That's just where I live."  To which I replied, "Well, yeah, but you didn't have to live there, or work here.  You could live closer."  Judging from the look on her face, I don't think she'd ever considered the possibility...

I have another coworker who is literally counting down the days till she reaches retirement age and can quit.  Currently she works 6 (12-hr, overnight) shifts per week, has been burned out for ages... but has no money, because she lets her grown kids mooch off of her.  She also went on an vacation to Europe a few months ago. 

Another fellow employee (from another dept, I don't know her) was talking about our 401K plan and how she'd gone to HR to talk about the possibility of retiring early (by about 2 years).  Then she found out about the penalties for early withdrawal, etc.  I didn't think there would be any value in pointing out that people who retire early, don't rely on their job investment stuff to do so; they do it independently.  Clearly too late for that. 

FTR, I work in a hospital.  I'm a nursing assistant, CW's 1 & 2 are both RN's, and CW3 is a respiratory therapist.

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #4116 on: September 11, 2014, 08:42:07 AM »
I hired a guy to work in my department last summer.  He was just out of grad school.  One of the benefits at our company is company paid cell phones and plans for everyone.  It makes business sense since many/most of us spend significant time in the field (consulting engineers) but even the admin people have their phones covered.  So my new CW has a Samsung Galaxy S3 coming in.  I tell him about the benefit and suggest he port his number to our work plan (you can port it back if/when you leave).  He picks out a Galaxy S4.  A few days later it arrives and he's carrying around two phones, which seems fine for a short period (make sure he likes the new phone since we have a CDMA carrier and porting numbers/changing phones is slightly more difficult than with GSM).  Eventually this goes on long enough that I have to ask why he keeps both phones around.  CW says, "I don't want to accidentally send you a text intended for my wife."  He pays ~$80/mo just to prevent him from making a slightly embarassing mistake!

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4117 on: September 11, 2014, 09:06:42 AM »
I hired a guy to work in my department last summer.  He was just out of grad school.  One of the benefits at our company is company paid cell phones and plans for everyone.  It makes business sense since many/most of us spend significant time in the field (consulting engineers) but even the admin people have their phones covered.  So my new CW has a Samsung Galaxy S3 coming in.  I tell him about the benefit and suggest he port his number to our work plan (you can port it back if/when you leave).  He picks out a Galaxy S4.  A few days later it arrives and he's carrying around two phones, which seems fine for a short period (make sure he likes the new phone since we have a CDMA carrier and porting numbers/changing phones is slightly more difficult than with GSM).  Eventually this goes on long enough that I have to ask why he keeps both phones around.  CW says, "I don't want to accidentally send you a text intended for my wife."  He pays ~$80/mo just to prevent him from making a slightly embarassing mistake!

My new boss and husband have the same name, and I told him if I every sent him an inappropriate text or email, please know that it was intended for my husband!  ....luckily he has a sense of humor and took it for the light-hearted joke it was.  I don't ever send anything inappropriate, but still, there are some things that I send my DH that may raise eyebrows of my boss.     But no, I wouldn't keep 2 phones for that reason....just be extra careful.....and for gosh sakes, haven't we all learned that taking naked selfies are a bad idea anyways??!!

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #4118 on: September 11, 2014, 09:10:21 AM »

My new boss and husband have the same name, and I told him if I every sent him an inappropriate text or email, please know that it was intended for my husband!  ....luckily he has a sense of humor and took it for the light-hearted joke it was.  I don't ever send anything inappropriate, but still, there are some things that I send my DH that may raise eyebrows of my boss.     But no, I wouldn't keep 2 phones for that reason....just be extra careful.....and for gosh sakes, haven't we all learned that taking naked selfies are a bad idea anyways??!!

i wonder about the security of work phones for my personal business

some companies install alot of extra softwarae

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4119 on: September 11, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »
Another fellow employee (from another dept, I don't know her) was talking about our 401K plan and how she'd gone to HR to talk about the possibility of retiring early (by about 2 years).  Then she found out about the penalties for early withdrawal, etc.  I didn't think there would be any value in pointing out that people who retire early, don't rely on their job investment stuff to do so; they do it independently.  Clearly too late for that. 

If your coworker is at least 55, then another provision applies. If an employee leaves a company any time during or after the year in which he or she turns 55, there's no penalty on distributions from the 401k. But for this to work, the coworker has to leave the money in the 401k. It cannot be rolled over to an IRA.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4120 on: September 11, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »

i wonder about the security of work phones for my personal business

some companies install alot of extra softwarae

I concur, privacy is a big issue. If the NSA can do it, then so can your company (whether it's legal or not is a different matter, but I'm pretty sure your company has some leeway when your service is being paid for by them).
Is it worth $80/month to me? Probably not. Then again, I would use a MVNO. Would it be worth say $20/month? Ugh. It's a hard decision. Depends on how much the salary is.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4121 on: September 11, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »

Perfectly reasonable, if you need one phone for your mistress and one for your wife. =D

Also perfectly reasonable if you are running a crystal meth empire and need a burner like Heisenberg.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4122 on: September 11, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
We just had a meeting with our PEPP (that is the defined contubution pension plan at work) and one of the comments that was stated is that if you are luck, and invest in this plan from the time you are 30-65 when you are ready to retire, you may have 500000 that you can draw off of.

It was also said that we should probally be investing in the money market fund so that we do not see any flucuation with the market... so you think that the two are co-orilated?

When we got back from the presentation, my CW stated that he could never retire.  The calculator online told him(he is about 55 now) that his current saving, if he lived off 110% of current income would last til 72 if he retired at 65.  I asked why he needed 110% of income and he stated to travel.
I told him that I live off of about 40% of my income now and travel every year... I got some wierd looks...

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #4123 on: September 11, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
I had a very short-term job as a teller in a bank inside of a retail store known for low prices.

I hated the job, but I'm grateful for it because it taught me a lot about banking.

This isn't quite as good as a lot of what I've read on here, just really annoying...

Customers would regularly open an account to cash their tax refund (better than a check cashing store at least).  But then, they'd spend all of that money in the store we were located in - like huge TVs - oftentimes going into overdraft.  Then they'd never come back until next tax refund time.  Our corporate office loved seeing new accounts, so when people owed money, we would give them a deal on what they owed "pay off 50% of this 500 you owe us, and we'll open a new account for your tax check, plus deposit 20 into a savings if you blah blah blah".

It made me so angry that these people basically got a free $250 for being dumb with money!

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #4124 on: September 11, 2014, 12:57:58 PM »
I was having a conversation with my co-worker about credit cards. We were discussing that if you pay for something like furnace oil on your card and can not afford to pay it off that month I feel that you are living beyond your means, she could not see this at all.

It doesn't matter what it is that you charge, clothing, furnace oil, a new purse. If you can not afford to pay it off when the bill comes in you are living beyond your means. Her argument is that you need the furnace oil, yes, you do need it, but if you can't afford it then it doesn't matter what it is. Plus, for her, she likely spent her pay cheque on a new purse, shoes, clothes thus causing her to use her credit card for furnace oil.

Why do people think its okay to spend their pay cheque on things they don't need and charge necessities on a credit card is okay? And we also have differing opinions on what a necessity is.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4125 on: September 11, 2014, 04:41:09 PM »
Well this wasnt overheard at work, but seen on my ride home...

New condo for sale, starting at 1136 a month including condo fees with as little as 7050 down payment. 

I called the company as this is in an area that my SO and i are looking to but in, close to shopping etc. I was thinking that with 7050 down even at 5% calculation, that the cost of the units would be about 150000.  This is an exceedingly good deal in Regina right now, espically in the area that these were.

Anyways... the prices on these units are $384000.  The are willing to "help" people with the down payment(I am not sure how this works as I never asked to find out) but at 1136 a month that is almost 30 years of payments, if you sont take into account any intrest or condo fees... this must me a 35 or a 40 year mortgage... espically with the down payment help(we all know that you have to payfor it somewhere).

I thought the USA and Canada stoped these no down payment mortages with 40 year terms in 2008-2009...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4126 on: September 11, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
Well this wasnt overheard at work, but seen on my ride home...

New condo for sale, starting at 1136 a month including condo fees with as little as 7050 down payment. 

I called the company as this is in an area that my SO and i are looking to but in, close to shopping etc. I was thinking that with 7050 down even at 5% calculation, that the cost of the units would be about 150000.  This is an exceedingly good deal in Regina right now, espically in the area that these were.

Anyways... the prices on these units are $384000.  The are willing to "help" people with the down payment(I am not sure how this works as I never asked to find out) but at 1136 a month that is almost 30 years of payments, if you sont take into account any intrest or condo fees... this must me a 35 or a 40 year mortgage... espically with the down payment help(we all know that you have to payfor it somewhere).

I thought the USA and Canada stoped these no down payment mortages with 40 year terms in 2008-2009...

Wow, I'd inquire further just out of morbid curiosity.  Are the payments lower than comparable rent?  Comparable mortgage?

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #4127 on: September 11, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »
On my way home this morning, I saw a bumper sticker that said, "Stop Spending, Save America."  Sure, okay... except it was on what I believe was a Ford F-350.  Something new-looking and gigantic that uses an obscene amount of gas, anyway. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:42:34 PM by tofuchampion »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4128 on: September 11, 2014, 07:11:49 PM »
I swear I never hear things to write in here.  But not this week:

CW#1, well this is just unfortunate.  Has a car he doesn't drive, so his insurance is the "non-driver" and his registration is "non-driver".  He bought a house and is moving, so had the car parked in the street instead of in the garage during the move.  Neighbor reported the car, it was towed and he had to pay 2 years of back registration, plus tow fee, $900 total.

CW#2 partied too hard, decided not to drive, gave the keys to the wrong person.  Accident, busted up car (airbags went off), driver got arrested, lots of money for getting the car out of impound, towed, fixed.  Not to mention the friend being charged with a felony.

HoneyBadger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4129 on: September 11, 2014, 07:19:03 PM »
On my way home this morning, I saw a bumper sticker that said, "Stop Spending, Save America."  Sure, okay... except it was on what I believe was a Ford F-350 truck.  Right.

This was probably referring to "gubmint" spending, except, of course, any benefits the driver is receiving.  Those were earned and well-deserved.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #4130 on: September 11, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
On my way home this morning, I saw a bumper sticker that said, "Stop Spending, Save America."  Sure, okay... except it was on what I believe was a Ford F-350 truck.  Right.

This was probably referring to "gubmint" spending, except, of course, any benefits the driver is receiving.  Those were earned and well-deserved.

Well, government spending is just as wasteful as the average American's spending, but that's a different story. ;-)

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4131 on: September 12, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »

Well, government spending is just as wasteful as the average American's spending, but that's a different story. ;-)

I disagree.  People, in theory, work (provide a needed product or service) to earn money.  The government TAKES money from people, sends it through a 14 layer bureaucratic turdfest and then spends it.  Government spending is always a net loss on society and inherently more wasteful. 

HoneyBadger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4132 on: September 12, 2014, 08:52:39 AM »

I disagree.  People, in theory, work (provide a needed product or service) to earn money.  The government TAKES money from people, sends it through a 14 layer bureaucratic turdfest and then spends it.  Government spending is always a net loss on society and inherently more wasteful. 

Always a net loss?  Really?  Does that include municipal water and sewer service, police and fire protection, and public libraries?  Do you use any of those?  How much would it cost you to provide those services for yourself?  Priced digging a well and installing a septic system lately?

I live in a major metropolitan area where some residents receive water service from the local government and some receive service from private water companies.  The residents receiving their water from the private sector pay much more for service and have experienced at least one outbreak of water-borne illness, including one fatality.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4133 on: September 12, 2014, 09:33:06 AM »

Always a net loss?  Really?  Does that include municipal water and sewer service, police and fire protection, and public libraries?  Do you use any of those?  How much would it cost you to provide those services for yourself?  Priced digging a well and installing a septic system lately?

I live in a major metropolitan area where some residents receive water service from the local government and some receive service from private water companies.  The residents receiving their water from the private sector pay much more for service and have experienced at least one outbreak of water-borne illness, including one fatality.

Yep. Always a net loss.  Not saying that there isn't things that the government should waste spend money on.  Just saying that it's always a net loss. 

Why do you suppose it's cheaper to buy water from the city? 

sparky28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4134 on: September 12, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »
My coworkers were talking about the benefit of selling back vacation days you bought at the beginning of the year. I thought the benefit was being more flexible with your time throughout the year with small downside.

They were thinking it was great because you could use that returned money at the end of the year to buy presents for Christmas. That's the oddest saving habit I've witnessed, why not just keep it from the beginning to invest, or budget it in?

We have a difference in thinking - money for time vs. money for things.

HoneyBadger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4135 on: September 12, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »

Yep. Always a net loss.  Not saying that there isn't things that the government should waste spend money on.  Just saying that it's always a net loss. 

The city doesn't have stockholders demanding profit growth and dividends and doesn't have executives requiring multi-million dollar salaries and bonuses.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4136 on: September 12, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »

Yep. Always a net loss. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_multiplier

The way government influences the economy, their ability to produce more money (part of inflation) - macro-economics is quite complicated, hence all the debate on the matter. Too complex for anyone to have figured some magic formula. Suffice it to say, slashing all government spending and going private on everything would be extremely ill-advised. Government spending is an incredibly useful tool the effects of which are both easy to quantify and complex to understand, and is not necessarily inherently wasteful.

Hell, it's even up for debate whether it is even important that the spending be "efficiently" employed, depending on who is defining what would be an efficient outcome. More tax revenue back? More services for your money? ???

The more you know, the less you feel like you understand it. And I really know quite little, so maybe somebody with a real knowledge base can chime in and correct me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:01:43 AM by skunkfunk »

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4137 on: September 12, 2014, 10:06:49 AM »
My coworkers were talking about the benefit of selling back vacation days you bought at the beginning of the year. I thought the benefit was being more flexible with your time throughout the year with small downside.

They were thinking it was great because you could use that returned money at the end of the year to buy presents for Christmas. That's the oddest saving habit I've witnessed, why not just keep it from the beginning to invest, or budget it in?

We have a difference in thinking - money for time vs. money for things.
I see this too. They leave it in their bank earning zero interest and then cash it to buy stuff. There's a 10% penalty for converting to cash plus it is taxed at the highest rate so my CWs end up with about half the value.  Not to mention that if they are termed for cause then it's all forfeited. Vacation banks are a horrible savings plan.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #4138 on: September 12, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »

Ahhh! my internet troll alarms are going off so loudly!!! Will... not... succumb...    I disagre with you. Nooo I lost the battle with myself!!!

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4139 on: September 12, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »

The city doesn't have stockholders demanding profit growth and dividends and doesn't have executives requiring multi-million dollar salaries and bonuses.

Hence the reason government agencies are run with extraordinary levels of inefficiency, zero profit motive.   Do you think that at the end of the year the water providers operating statement shows a net income or a net loss? 

Could it also be that they aren't profitable? Or that they are even losing money ever year?  Subsidized by the rest of the taxpayers with money from the general fund? 

Yep. Always a net loss. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_multiplier

The way government influences the economy, their ability to produce more money (part of inflation) - macro-economics is quite complicated, hence all the debate on the matter. Too complex for anyone to have figured some magic formula. Suffice it to say, slashing all government spending and going private on everything would be extremely ill-advised. Government spending is an incredibly useful tool the effects of which are both easy to quantify and complex to understand, and is not necessarily inherently wasteful.

Hell, it's even up for debate whether it is even important that the spending be "efficiently" employed, depending on who is defining what would be an efficient outcome. More tax revenue back? More services for your money? ???

The more you know, the less you feel like you understand it. And I really know quite little, so maybe somebody with a real knowledge base can chime in and correct me.

I'd never advise cutting all government spending because some of it is useful.  It doesn't change the fact that it's always a net loss on the economy.  They take money out of the economy (taxes) and then after a bunch of wasteful levels of bureaucracy they put a small portion back in to the economy.  Or they print money, causing inflation and the loss of value to the people holding the rest of the dollars.  That's obviously oversimplified and there are cases (like water/sewer) where the benefit to some is positive. 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4140 on: September 12, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
Our city's utility runs a profit every year, I believe at least into the tens of millions of dollars range - and transfers it to the general fund.  Kind of a stealth-tax (in addition to the actual taxes they charge on the utility bill).  Posting this to add fuel to the fire, mostly.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4141 on: September 12, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
Municipal water systems are definitely a waste of money. It's much cheaper for me to piss in a bucket and dump it on my neighbor's property. I don't understand why everyone doesn't do it.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4142 on: September 12, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
So its better to put it through a 14-layer private bureaucratic turdfest with additional expenses for impressive buildings, top-salaries and dividend payout?  ;)

Please show me one institution, where the same people under the same rules are working better just because its a private company and not a state one. I never was told by worker that they are more motivated because a part of their work is given away to shareholders and millionaire-income bosses (or that it is cheaper to do that then not doing that).

Mostly the difference is based on the simple fact, that private corporations a) employ less people (that have to do the same amount of work) and b) pay them less and (often) have lower standards.
In my town a deficit-running hospital was privatized a year ago. I think 15% of people were fired. Now the nurses really run and not just walk fast. It may be the hospital runs a profit now, but I preferred the older model. Then probably my father wouldnt have nearly brought into OP that was for another person because of a nurses error.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:50:35 PM by LennStar »

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #4143 on: September 12, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »
Please don't do this. I like this thread.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4144 on: September 12, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »
Please don't do this. I like this thread.
+1.
Let's try not to feed the troll.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #4145 on: September 12, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »
Here is a heard at work:

Co-worker K was complaining about the traffic and stated it took her 2 hours to get to work the other morning because there was so much traffic. I commiserated, but said that is why I like riding my bike.

Later today she was gone for a few hours. Comes back, said she and her husband were looking at houses.

K: We're going to be moving!
Me: Congratulations! How much shorter will your commute be?
K: Oh, it will be longer. We are moving to [names town 10 miles farther away than her current town]. It will probably add 40 min to my commute.
Me and CW J: O.o
J: I couldn't stand to be in the car for an hour and a half a day (obviously referring to her entire round-trip commute of 40+40 min)
K: Oh, no, it will be more like 3 hours. It already takes me over an hour on a good day.
Me: OMG!
J: [sound of disbelief]
K: Oh, it's not that bad. I have a hybrid

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4146 on: September 12, 2014, 04:59:32 PM »
Here is a heard at work:

Co-worker K was complaining about the traffic and stated it took her 2 hours to get to work the other morning because there was so much traffic. I commiserated, but said that is why I like riding my bike.

Later today she was gone for a few hours. Comes back, said she and her husband were looking at houses.

K: Oh, it will be longer. We are moving to [names town 10 miles farther away than her current town]. It will probably add 40 min to my commute.
J: I couldn't stand to be in the car for an hour and a half a day (obviously referring to her entire round-trip commute of 40+40 min)
K: Oh, no, it will be more like 3 hours. It already takes me over an hour on a good day.

This is hard to even believe. The longer she talks the worse it gets!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4147 on: September 12, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
Here is a heard at work:

ouch

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #4148 on: September 12, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
Here is a heard at work:

This is hard to even believe. The longer she talks the worse it gets!

I hear this from Silicon Valley workers all the time. They want to "buy the dream" of a huge house, and are willing to sell their lives (and pocketbooks) on a huge commute from a place where such a house is actually purchasable. It's nonsensical.

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #4149 on: September 12, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »
Here's another one from my workplace.  A couple years ago we hired a young 20s IT guy.  He bought a new Ford SUV when he started (or just before).  A year later he traded it in for a NEW F150 with all the bells and whistles.  At the time he said something about how he can make dumb financial decisions now when he's young.

In the last month he traded that in and got a late model BMW (I don't think it's "new", but within the last 3 years).  Today a few of us went out to lunch for a co-worker's birthday.  He wanted to drive, naturally, and sent directions from his phone to his navigation system in the car.  Another co-worker and I rode together and although we were passed by the other cars, we still arrived first.  The BMW owner mumbled something about how he needs to get the maps updated or something when he finally arrived 5-10 minutes later.