Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253128 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #16600 on: February 03, 2017, 08:11:33 AM »
Insurance plan administrator/paycheck processing person at work: "I don't understand why you're annoyed that I gave you the wrong information about what's covered under the insurance and what it takes to get your new kid covered. It's not like I should be expected to know these things!"

Well, combine that incompetence with mistakes on my last 3 paychecks, and... yes. Yes, you ARE expected to know things that are 1) the basics of your job, and 2) directly affecting people's lives/well-being (hi, I'm 38 weeks pregnant and about to be responsible for a tiny human who I HOPE will not need health insurance for a while, but if they do I need them to be covered. Don't give me wrong information that impacts our coverage!)

Like, for crying out loud. Don't fuck with people's pay and health insurance is a BASIC THING.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16601 on: February 03, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
Oops, originally posted this in the wrong thread. But here it is:

My office usually has 4-6 days a month where we can wear jeans if we donate $5 or more to charity. Everyone goes absolutely giddy over these days (usually on Fridays). I rarely participate. And because of this, I take a lot heat.

I'm sorry, but wearing jeans to work once a week isn't worth $20/month to me. Especially when I have a pair of khakis that are just as comfortable and perfectly up to dress code.

I guess I'm not surprised people at my office love to spend for this casual luxury. They're the same ones who roll in with their financed SUVs, clutching Starbucks every morning, ordering out for lunch, and often order take-out for dinner on the way home, etc.

Am I in the wrong here? Am I a terrible person for not participating in these charity days? I only make $15/hour right now, so $20-25/month adds up.

I have a couple of pairs of Levis from Sam's Club that cost $20-25 each. I ain't paying the equivalent of that EVERY month.
And yes, jeans are uncomfortable in West-Central Florida, most of the year.
If HR didn't throw a fit, I'd be going commando all workday. I'm commando on weekends though, except at the gym.

There are always kilts for the males and skirts/dresses of course if you aren't and you need a breeze... 

Hell, its 2017! Where a dress if you are male - I don't care (seriously). Your employer might though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:45:19 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #16602 on: February 03, 2017, 08:58:20 AM »
I work in a small, 4 person nonprofit office.  Super casual, low budget (our "offices" are in a 60's trailer....), but they prioritize taking care of their employees pretty well.  The full-time, long term employees (2 men) make reasonable salaries for the area, and their wives work/have worked on and off most of their adult lives.  These individuals aren't high earners, but they *should* be pretty comfortable and have a reasonably comfortable retirement future if they were/are wise.

Employee 1 -- Wife and he work full time.  Careful budgeter -- awesome.  Brings lunch -- cool.  Working on being able to homestead in the future -- the horses are a little unneccesary, but otherwise they grow food and whatnot and have the acreage to do it.  It brings them a lot of joy and relaxation, and they have no plans to retire early -- to each their own.
The  Antimustachian part: they recently finished their own home on their property.  He did the contracting and a lot of the work which is awesome, so I am sure they saved a lot.  They are old enough to be my parents, so no kids in the home.  Just the two of them, and the wife with reasonable back issues that have required surgery in the past.

FOUR bedrooms.  2 family rooms.  A kitchen and dining.  2 levels.  3 or 4 bathrooms.

I know they have extended family out of town, but all their kids live locally.  The extra bedrooms are only used once a year. 

They are already in their mid 50s -- its a gorgeous house, but struggle to see the practicality, or how his lovely wife will be able to take care of it if her back problems come back.  I truly hope it isn't a huge financial burden either.  This coworker openly questions our intent to downsize from our 3 bedroom, 2 bath (1700 square feet) house.  And doesn't see the irony of his own.

Employee 2 -- Lives in a modular home that was bought new some time ago.  Nice home and a good size for them.  Late 50s, wife works part time.  Parents are aging, so I know they have extra strain there.  Consistently on the look out for side gigs -- wife will cut hair, sell products, etc.  He will tune pianos, teach music, etc.

Buys every gadget imagineable.  Both have kindles, both have ipads, both have computers, netflix, cable, amazon prime, fire bar (I think thats the amazon compatible thing that streams from amazon prime), bose items, instruments, electronics of every sort. 

Finances furniture, *brings* lunches in each week that consist of a walmart bag of frozen active/fit type of meals, buys apps and whatnot for the thrill because its just 10.00 here and there.

Recently told me that he and his wife bought the amazon echo....for fun.

I happened to accidentally (remember, 60s trailer walls) overhear a conversation that made me think that they may have opted out of SS in the early years of their lives (US allows certain nonprofit workers/faith based workers to do this very early on in their working life).  However, this means they are entirely dependent on what they themselves can save for retirement. 

I truly hope this isn't the case.  I don't see any evidence there that would make me think that those accounts are very large....

This rant is more because I worry about them....less for the shame part.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16603 on: February 03, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
Re: the gadget purchases, it's really not that bad in the scheme of things.  Could do a lot worse getting locked into payments on bigger toys that need recurring maintenance.
I
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 10:18:44 AM by Debts_of_Despair »

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #16604 on: February 03, 2017, 10:15:46 AM »
Not overheard....I was involved in this conversation.   My official starting date of working part-time was Feb 1, Wednesday.  I changed from salaried to hourly.  I checked with the payroll person to make sure she had the information.  Our pay period covers last week and this current week that includes my 'change' date.   I mentioned that 7 of the 10 days I would be at the salaried rate (7/10 of salary amount) and the other 3 days needed to be computed at the new hourly rate.  She said she couldn't do it that way as the payroll system didn't allow someone to be both salaried and hourly in the same period.  So I suggested that she change my salary portion to the 7/10's of the usual amount and then add the computed hourly amount as "additional pay", "bonus", or some other category that was allowed.  She said nope!  My other suggestion is to again figure the 7/10 and add the computed hourly amount making just one number.  When she has this number, then just change my 'salary' to that new number for one pay period. 

She's not doing either.  So instead, on my own, I computed what the new gross amount should be and compared it to what she is going to pay me.  Per this computation, I will not be getting paid for any hours I work over 17 hours for these 3 days.   Since I have reports to get out, etc.,  I will be OVER 17 hours.  I decided that I will cautiously add the difference to future days in half hour increments.

About 6 or 7 years ago, I did the payroll here and kinda know what could be done to make this correct.  Next payroll all my time will be at an hourly rate, so no problem with the computations going forward.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16605 on: February 03, 2017, 10:17:18 AM »
Just a general comment about vending machines at work, do the people that eat out of them not go to the grocery store or something?  Not only is it overpriced, it's unhealthy.  The guy that sits next to me eats almost exclusively eats out of the vending machine at work.  Another common "lunch" around here is a 16 oz Pepsi and a bag of chips.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16606 on: February 03, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »
I have a woman who works on my team who is finally getting ready to close on her custom built, 3500+ sq. ft., 4 bedroom house on 2 acres. For $450k (in a LCOL area). $25k over budget. After spending thousands on legal fees. For her and her husband and their 1 daughter. Listening to her talk about all of the money they've spent on this place makes my head hurt. On the plus side, she has started bringing in some of her husband's shirts (many with tags still on them) and selling them to the team for $1 each. I've bought 6 total now and we're only in the first round of her cleaning his closet. Score!

Another woman several years ago was hired in from an agency position, so she immediately went out and spent $49k on a new Ford Edge Limited with every option she could get. Her car payment + insurance is more than our mortgage payment.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:51:44 AM by ducky19 »

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16607 on: February 03, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
Employee 1 -- Wife and he work full time.
They are already in their mid 50s -- its a gorgeous house, but struggle to see the practicality, or how his lovely wife will be able to take care of it if her back problems come back.  I truly hope it isn't a huge financial burden either.  This coworker openly questions our intent to downsize from our 3 bedroom, 2 bath (1700 square feet) house.  And doesn't see the irony of his own.

Why would she be taking care of the house?

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #16608 on: February 03, 2017, 12:43:03 PM »
Employee 1 -- Wife and he work full time.

Why would she be taking care of the house?

They are old fashioned.  Plus, he is capable of taking care of it, but he also raises the animals, plants, harvest, etc. outside.  She is already not physically capable of those things. And even after surgery, she is forever limited by her back issues.  So naturally a lot of the lighter, interior work falls to her.  My worry is that one day sooner than they like, they will have to leave their beloved farm/land/house because they built something that will only be a stresser for them, and specifically her, because of the house maintenance and size.  I suppose they could pay someone to come in and help...although it doesn't currently seem like something they would ever want to pay someone to do.  It is just a classic case of older couple building a gorgeous house that is double or triple the size they actually need, and potentially more than they will physically be able to care for someday. 

Hence, my desire to move to something small.  Neither of us enjoy housework or maintenance (although both of us are involved in it...in case you were worried), we want less debt/expenses, if we have children it will have to be through adoption and will be down the road anyway, and we think that we could live happily in something less than 1000 sq feet, and potentially as small as 2 bedroom if there is some "flex" space like a garage or work shed for hobbies/painting.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16609 on: February 03, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
I have a woman who works on my team who is finally getting ready to close on her custom built, 3500+ sq. ft., 4 bedroom house on 2 acres. For $450k (in a LCOL area). $25k over budget. After spending thousands on legal fees. For her and her husband and their 1 daughter. Listening to her talk about all of the money they've spent on this place makes my head hurt. On the plus side, she has started bringing in some of her husband's shirts (many with tags still on them) and selling them to the team for $1 each. I've bought 6 total now and we're only in the first round of her cleaning his closet. Score!

Another woman several years ago was hired in from an agency position, so she immediately went out and spent $49k on a new Ford Edge Limited with every option she could get. Her car payment + insurance is more than our mortgage payment.

That sounds great!  Halve the size of the house an I'm in!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16610 on: February 03, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »
Just a general comment about vending machines at work, do the people that eat out of them not go to the grocery store or something?  Not only is it overpriced, it's unhealthy.  The guy that sits next to me eats almost exclusively eats out of the vending machine at work.  Another common "lunch" around here is a 16 oz Pepsi and a bag of chips.

And now they come with credit card swipers.  Not having a serviceable dollar bill or any loose change used to prevent people from using them. No longer a problem.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16611 on: February 03, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »
Not overheard....I was involved in this conversation.   My official starting date of working part-time was Feb 1, Wednesday.  I changed from salaried to hourly.  I checked with the payroll person to make sure she had the information.  Our pay period covers last week and this current week that includes my 'change' date.   I mentioned that 7 of the 10 days I would be at the salaried rate (7/10 of salary amount) and the other 3 days needed to be computed at the new hourly rate.  She said she couldn't do it that way as the payroll system didn't allow someone to be both salaried and hourly in the same period.  So I suggested that she change my salary portion to the 7/10's of the usual amount and then add the computed hourly amount as "additional pay", "bonus", or some other category that was allowed.  She said nope!  My other suggestion is to again figure the 7/10 and add the computed hourly amount making just one number.  When she has this number, then just change my 'salary' to that new number for one pay period. 

She's not doing either.  So instead, on my own, I computed what the new gross amount should be and compared it to what she is going to pay me.  Per this computation, I will not be getting paid for any hours I work over 17 hours for these 3 days.   Since I have reports to get out, etc.,  I will be OVER 17 hours.  I decided that I will cautiously add the difference to future days in half hour increments.

About 6 or 7 years ago, I did the payroll here and kinda know what could be done to make this correct.  Next payroll all my time will be at an hourly rate, so no problem with the computations going forward.

What she needs to do is run you a pay check for the pay period of Day 1-7 as a salaried employee and then a separate paycheck for pay period Day 8-10 with the new hourly profile.

I wouldn't keep quiet since her way actually harms you and forces you to misrepresent future hours. It's not your fault she doesn't understand how to use payroll software.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #16612 on: February 03, 2017, 01:33:27 PM »

She's not doing either.  So instead, on my own, I computed what the new gross amount should be and compared it to what she is going to pay me.  Per this computation, I will not be getting paid for any hours I work over 17 hours for these 3 days. 

If you have to work more hours than you are paid for, over the 17, that is illegal. The whole point of hourly paid work is that you get paid for every hour you work, unlike salaried where the expectation is that you may need to work over your usual schedule based on company need.

Can you tell someone: "sorry payroll didn't want to pay me more than 17 hours, so without approved overtime, I can't finish my work this week"

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16613 on: February 03, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »
They are old fashioned.  Plus, he is capable of taking care of it, but he also raises the animals, plants, harvest, etc. outside.  She is already not physically capable of those things. And even after surgery, she is forever limited by her back issues.  So naturally a lot of the lighter, interior work falls to her.  My worry is that one day sooner than they like, they will have to leave their beloved farm/land/house because they built something that will only be a stresser for them, and specifically her, because of the house maintenance and size.  I suppose they could pay someone to come in and help...although it doesn't currently seem like something they would ever want to pay someone to do.  It is just a classic case of older couple building a gorgeous house that is double or triple the size they actually need, and potentially more than they will physically be able to care for someday. 

Hence, my desire to move to something small.  Neither of us enjoy housework or maintenance (although both of us are involved in it...in case you were worried), we want less debt/expenses, if we have children it will have to be through adoption and will be down the road anyway, and we think that we could live happily in something less than 1000 sq feet, and potentially as small as 2 bedroom if there is some "flex" space like a garage or work shed for hobbies/painting.

I SOOO get this. You FINALLY build your dream house but you are too old (and possibly too poor) to enjoy it. Its kind of like that Ferrari poster some of us had on our bedroom walls. Someday when I grow up...

...and then you do grow up and realize that the Ferrari would be nice but a house might be better. Some people never figure out that we can't really afford those daydreams.

I still want that big piece of land and the nice house but we're not really keen on having the mortgage. Maybe in our next lifetime when we are born into wealth and have parents who gift us the purchase price right from the beginning. j/k

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #16614 on: February 03, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
I SOOO get this. You FINALLY build your dream house but you are too old (and possibly too poor) to enjoy it. Its kind of like that Ferrari poster some of us had on our bedroom walls. Someday when I grow up...

...and then you do grow up and realize that the Ferrari would be nice but a house might be better. Some people never figure out that we can't really afford those daydreams.

I still want that big piece of land and the nice house but we're not really keen on having the mortgage. Maybe in our next lifetime when we are born into wealth and have parents who gift us the purchase price right from the beginning. j/k

My DW struggles with this; she is frugal as well, and a worrier, and planner, so she realizes that the dream house with an orchard and self sufficient with solar power and a well and a big vegetable garden on a country lot far from public transport and medical services is probably not an ideal place to retire to as one reaches their 60s and 70s and 80s.  We have been to a few estate sales where places like that had clearly deteriorated, and we knew that our parents wouldn't have even been able to manage those in their later years.  She knows that even though we could afford it now we shouldn't get one.  But she is often sad that it will never happen now. . .

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16615 on: February 03, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »

My DW struggles with this; she is frugal as well, and a worrier, and planner, so she realizes that the dream house with an orchard and self sufficient with solar power and a well and a big vegetable garden on a country lot far from public transport and medical services is probably not an ideal place to retire to as one reaches their 60s and 70s and 80s.  We have been to a few estate sales where places like that had clearly deteriorated, and we knew that our parents wouldn't have even been able to manage those in their later years.  She knows that even though we could afford it now we shouldn't get one.  But she is often sad that it will never happen now. . .

I have hope that there are places in the world that offer somewhat of a compromise; a small house in a neighborhood that has a yard big enough for one or two fruit bearing trees + a garden, local laws that allow for chickens, sunlight for solar, and all along a public transit system line, even if it isn't very expansive. Raleigh, NC; Munich, Germany, and some other cities come to mind.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16616 on: February 04, 2017, 12:20:28 AM »

I get it too. We need to recognise that just because we wanted something in the past and now have the means to get it doesn't mean that it is right for us now.

Otherwise I would spend all my money on a bag of candyfloss bigger than me. It was once my goal, but it doesn't make it the right goal for me now.

It would still make me sad if the only reason they couldn't live in their dream house was their old fashioned ideas of the woman needing to do the cleaning despite having a disabling back injury.

There seems to be an opportunity for younger, skinter, healthier people to support the older or less mobile people in exchange for cheap housing.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16617 on: February 04, 2017, 05:24:13 AM »
.....Otherwise I would spend all my money on a bag of candyfloss bigger than me. It was once my goal, but it doesn't make it the right goal for me now. .....

I had to look up candy floss [UK]=cotton candy  [US] but was unable to find anything larger than 50 g ( estimate ~1 gallon , ~ 4L) or a 12"x20", 30cm x 55cm bag.

Sorry I couldn't help your dream along.   
I would think you could get a bespoke ( custom ) bag for an insignificant fraction of you net worth :-)

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16618 on: February 04, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
.....Otherwise I would spend all my money on a bag of candyfloss bigger than me. It was once my goal, but it doesn't make it the right goal for me now. .....
I had to look up candy floss [UK]=cotton candy  [US] but was unable to find anything larger than 50 g ( estimate ~1 gallon , ~ 4L) or a 12"x20", 30cm x 55cm bag.

I would think you could get a bespoke ( custom ) bag for an insignificant fraction of you net worth :-)

Thank you kindly for the idea. Is it mustachian or anti-mustachian to make myself a custom bag and buy a (cotton) candy (floss) machine so that I can achieve this dream of my seven year old self?

sailingTowardsFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16619 on: February 04, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »
One of my coworkers told me yesterday that his family does not grocery shop because they 'always eat out' and only make dinner at home about once a month.  He explained that this is because he and his wife have 2 kids, ages 4 and 6, and so eating out is easier since they do not have to clean up the mess the kids make.  He then said that his kids will sometimes complain "Oh, do we have to go to Carabba's again?"  He also mentioned that his daughter has trouble staying awake in school, but they just can't get her to bed any earlier because by the time they go out to dinner, get home, and do their nighttime routine it is after 9pm!  I was completely blown away that a family would think it's normal and sensible to eat out every day, but managed to mask my surprise and swallow any critical comments.  He also said they've just stopped buying groceries because they just expire before they can use them - all of them also buy lunch everyday.  How many people out there are living this way without stopping to think about how much money they're wasting??

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16620 on: February 04, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »

Thank you kindly for the idea. Is it mustachian or anti-mustachian to make myself a custom bag and buy a (cotton) candy (floss) machine so that I can achieve this dream of my seven year old self?

This should work for the bag., note that it is clear
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-50-Gal-Extra-Large-Clear-Trash-Bags-50-Count-HDX50GC/203857728

if you need taller, cut the bottoms off and seal them together around the circumference.
box of 50 should provide some practice on sealing.

In the US, cotton candy is often sold at traveling fairs, so if you get there as they set up, you might be able to sweet talk the machine operator into filling your large bag(s) before it gets too busy.

I recuse myself on the mustachian or anti-mustachian question.

camry78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16621 on: February 04, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »
I have another story.  A different coworker of mine who has been in the same job for decades, definitely makes at least 150k per year, goes on a long vacation every year.  His wife works just because she wouldn't want to stay home fully retired all day long, but he makes considerably more than she does (and I just imagine that her take-home is low due to taxes from their combined high income), and both are in their mid-60's.  They recently took a HELOC to pay for a kitchen remodel (within the past several months), and I don't know how much they had to finance (hopefully not very much) but the cost of the remodel was well over 50k.  They booked one-stopover tickets (no direct flights from this city) for considerably more than two-stopover tickets (hundreds per ticket) would cost, probably about $700 more per ticket.  While I think it's ok to buy some nice things in life, my concern is they don't do it in moderation.

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #16622 on: February 04, 2017, 06:16:29 PM »
I was out the first part of January and just sent in my request last week to have 100% of my pay go into my 401k (no match here so no need to drag it out).  I've been doing this for years but someone else is handling the payroll this year.   

I just got an hour and a half lecture about how this wasn't "smart" and that I could end up in financial ruin, and that he didn't want to do it for me, what if I have surprise bills to pay etc.   Tons of stories about how he tried to up his contributions to 15% a few times and ended up having to borrow on credit cards when their "eating out" wasn't in check or "the car broke down"

I repeatedly said I'm fine, I have an emergency fund for that, we have excellent health insurance through my husband. This dude was in full. on. panic. mode.  And I appreciate someone cared enough to ask but come on! 

They made me sign a waiver saying that I had been given "professional advice" that this was not a good idea and that I waived the company from any responsibility when (not if, when) I require payment on short notice if they cannot accommodate a shifting of funds that quickly.  The last guy in this role needed like 24 hour notice, to switch on or off contributions so I don't know what he deems short notice.

My boss was laughing her ass off when I got out (their offices are next to one another and he was almost screaming)  She knows I'm FI, her and her husband have similar goals.

I did something similar one year with my wife's 403B (teacher). Her school system allows up to 100% salary deferral (which is nice!) and I wanted to make sure we maxed out her contributions. The HR person was very confused. She actually said to my wife, "are you sure, you won't have enough in your paycheck to pay taxes"!!!

Last year my wife bumped her contributon to 90% to max out her 401k, near the end of the year HR wanted her to lower her contribution since there wasn't going to be enough left for taxes.  I called her HR and asked if I could pay the taxes for her, long story short in December we sent a check to my wife's company for the payroll taxes.... 

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16623 on: February 04, 2017, 07:35:00 PM »
CW1: I need help with punting
CW2: what punting?
CW1: Joined a punting club I pay $50 and it’s my turn to bet soon
Me: $50 a week, fortnight or month? 
CW1: I don’t know… maybe a month?
Me: $50 so you gave [group of coworkers] money for gambling but you don’t know what you are betting on or how often you bet?
CW1: They all take turns putting bets on things, we can bet on anything.
Me: How often do they win or how much have the won in the last year?
CW1: I don’t know
Me: So basically you just hand over $50 whenever they ask and get nothing?
CW1: …. But its fun….

I dont really gamble very often (maybe like $30 a year) but the idea of this just doesnt make much sense to me

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #16624 on: February 04, 2017, 07:41:10 PM »
CW1: I need help with punting
CW2: what punting?
CW1: Joined a punting club I pay $50 and it’s my turn to bet soon
Me: $50 a week, fortnight or month? 
CW1: I don’t know… maybe a month?
Me: $50 so you gave [group of coworkers] money for gambling but you don’t know what you are betting on or how often you bet?
CW1: They all take turns putting bets on things, we can bet on anything.
Me: How often do they win or how much have the won in the last year?
CW1: I don’t know
Me: So basically you just hand over $50 whenever they ask and get nothing?
CW1: …. But its fun….

I dont really gamble very often (maybe like $30 a year) but the idea of this just doesnt make much sense to me

With a video lottery terminal or slot machine at least a person can listen to cheerful little tunes in the key of C, and watch lights go blinky-blinky.

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16625 on: February 04, 2017, 10:41:53 PM »
My boss told me that my co-worker had called him last weekend to ask if he could get $25 out of the petty cash so he could pay his cell phone bill before it gets turned off. A few days later that co-worker proceeded to tell me that he had gone bowling that Saturday night and ate out with his family at Red Lobster. Probably a $100 night. What the actual fuck?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16626 on: February 04, 2017, 11:31:19 PM »
My boss told me that my co-worker had called him last weekend to ask if he could get $25 out of the petty cash so he could pay his cell phone bill before it gets turned off. A few days later that co-worker proceeded to tell me that he had gone bowling that Saturday night and ate out with his family at Red Lobster. Probably a $100 night. What the actual fuck?

Well, what's he supposed to do while bowling and eating at a restaurant if his phone is disconnected, actually talk with his family?  Nonsense! 

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16627 on: February 05, 2017, 12:46:07 AM »

Well, what's he supposed to do while bowling and eating at a restaurant if his phone is disconnected, actually talk with his family?  Nonsense! 

I'm guessing that the night out can be paid by credit card and the phone bill not so much? Or was Friday payday? Either way, that is some awful financial management.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16628 on: February 05, 2017, 07:43:50 AM »
What happens if the company goes bankrupt? Talk about having all your eggs in one basket.

My company has stated in writing that they could go under tomorrow and still be able to pay all the pensions for at least ten years, and I believe them.    I'm damned well sticking around until I'm 55 - I'll qualify for a pension of roughly $25,000/year until I die.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16629 on: February 05, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »
I was out the first part of January and just sent in my request last week to have 100% of my pay go into my 401k (no match here so no need to drag it out).  I've been doing this for years but someone else is handling the payroll this year.   

I just got an hour and a half lecture about how this wasn't "smart" and that I could end up in financial ruin, and that he didn't want to do it for me, what if I have surprise bills to pay etc.   Tons of stories about how he tried to up his contributions to 15% a few times and ended up having to borrow on credit cards when their "eating out" wasn't in check or "the car broke down"

I repeatedly said I'm fine, I have an emergency fund for that, we have excellent health insurance through my husband. This dude was in full. on. panic. mode.  And I appreciate someone cared enough to ask but come on! 

They made me sign a waiver saying that I had been given "professional advice" that this was not a good idea and that I waived the company from any responsibility when (not if, when) I require payment on short notice if they cannot accommodate a shifting of funds that quickly.  The last guy in this role needed like 24 hour notice, to switch on or off contributions so I don't know what he deems short notice.

My boss was laughing her ass off when I got out (their offices are next to one another and he was almost screaming)  She knows I'm FI, her and her husband have similar goals.

I did something similar one year with my wife's 403B (teacher). Her school system allows up to 100% salary deferral (which is nice!) and I wanted to make sure we maxed out her contributions. The HR person was very confused. She actually said to my wife, "are you sure, you won't have enough in your paycheck to pay taxes"!!!

Last year my wife bumped her contributon to 90% to max out her 401k, near the end of the year HR wanted her to lower her contribution since there wasn't going to be enough left for taxes.  I called her HR and asked if I could pay the taxes for her, long story short in December we sent a check to my wife's company for the payroll taxes....

403b and 401k contributions should be pre-tax, so other than social security and Medicare taxes, any deductions should only be on what is left over after the contribution.  At 90% to the 401k, 10% will be subject to federal, state, and local income taxes. After 7.65% to social security and Medicare, this leaves 2.35% for income tax withholding.  This could easily be a problem if you're in the 25% federal bracket. 85% would probably be a safer number for maxing out a 401k or 403b.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16630 on: February 06, 2017, 03:04:50 AM »
There is nothing more uncomfortable than sitting at a desk for hours at a time wearing pants. the human skin necessary to disguise oneself on this strange, watery planet.
FTFY.
Fixed That For You too!

Fixed it for everyone.

I like this better

Now it is as it should be.

Oh my... this escalated quickly...

LOL, I created a monster.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #16631 on: February 06, 2017, 04:49:34 AM »
One of my coworkers told me yesterday that his family does not grocery shop because they 'always eat out' and only make dinner at home about once a month.  He explained that this is because he and his wife have 2 kids, ages 4 and 6, and so eating out is easier since they do not have to clean up the mess the kids make.  He then said that his kids will sometimes complain "Oh, do we have to go to Carabba's again?"  He also mentioned that his daughter has trouble staying awake in school, but they just can't get her to bed any earlier because by the time they go out to dinner, get home, and do their nighttime routine it is after 9pm!  I was completely blown away that a family would think it's normal and sensible to eat out every day, but managed to mask my surprise and swallow any critical comments.  He also said they've just stopped buying groceries because they just expire before they can use them - all of them also buy lunch everyday.  How many people out there are living this way without stopping to think about how much money they're wasting??

I lived in Houston for a while, and all the restaurants were full every night - even traditionally quiet nights like Mon/Tues. My theory was the parents both have jobs to pay for the McMansion with the granite countertops and SS appliances, and loooong commuting times to the suburbs in their 2 cars/trucks (to be able to get said McMansion at a low enough price) so no time to actually shop or cook. Ironic.

Often the only appliance being used is the microwave.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16632 on: February 06, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
That's just sad... its not living, make it as fast as possible only to spend it as fast as possible.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16633 on: February 06, 2017, 07:53:24 AM »

omg I can't even! I don't understand people who regularly keep their small children up too late. Yes I was invited to 2 super bowl parties. No I didn't go because bedtime is 7pm. Yep 7pm sorry, sleep come first.  We make very rare exceptions to drive back from family events (already in our PJ's).    Also how are those kids ever going to learn to cook????? Oy vay. This is wrong on so many levels not aligned with my values without even considering finances.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16634 on: February 06, 2017, 08:07:43 AM »
I always hope that somewhere along the way the child sees the situation for what it is and vows to themselves to never repeat their parents' mistakes. The kid that takes Home Economics class VERY seriously b/c they know they need that info.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16635 on: February 06, 2017, 08:15:12 AM »

omg I can't even! I don't understand people who regularly keep their small children up too late. Yes I was invited to 2 super bowl parties. No I didn't go because bedtime is 7pm. Yep 7pm sorry, sleep come first.  We make very rare exceptions to drive back from family events (already in our PJ's).    Also how are those kids ever going to learn to cook????? Oy vay. This is wrong on so many levels not aligned with my values without even considering finances.

Have you ever been to Wal-mart between like 11pm - 4am?

Tons of parents with their children. And not babies sleeping in the cart. Like, toddlers and 7 year olds walking around.

FIREwoman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16636 on: February 06, 2017, 08:28:03 AM »

Have you ever been to Wal-mart between like 11pm - 4am?

Tons of parents with their children. And not babies sleeping in the cart. Like, toddlers and 7 year olds walking around.

ug...i used to stop at walmart on the way home from my second job sometimes (got off at 10pm). soooo many babies/toddlers/small school age children there either having meltdowns or walking around like tiny little zombies. and many were there with BOTH parents! and said parents were casually shopping, seeming to take their sweet-ass time. leave one of the parents home with the kids, sheesh.

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #16637 on: February 06, 2017, 08:44:54 AM »

I have 1 kid, and taking him to a restaurant is not remotely as easy as making a casserole.  Hell, baking a ham and potatoes is literally easier than making a box of mac and cheese, let alone going to a restaurant.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #16638 on: February 06, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
There is nothing more uncomfortable than sitting at a desk for hours at a time wearing pants. the human skin necessary to disguise oneself on this strange, watery planet.
FTFY.
Fixed That For You too!

Fixed it for everyone.

I like this better

Use your god-like power responsibly.   :)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16639 on: February 06, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »

I have 1 kid, and taking him to a restaurant is not remotely as easy as making a casserole.  Hell, baking a ham and potatoes is literally easier than making a box of mac and cheese, let alone going to a restaurant.

Not its not. Baking a  ham requires me to clean something that is big and awkward. Box of mac and cheese requires me to clean a pot that is very easy to clean.

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #16640 on: February 06, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »

Not its not. Baking a  ham requires me to clean something that is big and awkward. Box of mac and cheese requires me to clean a pot that is very easy to clean.

I see your point, but I don't agree.  This may depend on our relative cookware and the average size of a ham that we buy.  But, either way, I can't imagine cooking at home is harder than taking 3 young children to a restaurant.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16641 on: February 06, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »
FTFY.
Fixed That For You too!

Fixed it for everyone.

I like this better

Use your god-like power responsibly.   :)

Gods have a long and storied history of being irresponsible.  Just saying.  ;D

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16642 on: February 06, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »

My city's little league baseball has games scheduled to start at 7 PM for 5&6 year old TBall and older on weekday school nights.  So those games end at 8:30PM, 15 minute drive home, shower, then eat dinner at 9:30 PM.  It was not ideal, but was at least workable once school was out and my kids could eat "dinner" at 4PM and just have a light post-game snack.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16643 on: February 06, 2017, 10:29:42 AM »

My city's little league baseball has games scheduled to start at 7 PM for 5&6 year old TBall and older on weekday school nights.  So those games end at 8:30PM, 15 minute drive home, shower, then eat dinner at 9:30 PM.  It was not ideal, but was at least workable once school was out and my kids could eat "dinner" at 4PM and just have a light post-game snack.

Were people not pissed off about this? Did they not try and change it? I don't see how this is convenient for anyone.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16644 on: February 06, 2017, 10:32:04 AM »

Were people not pissed off about this? Did they not try and change it? I don't see how this is convenient for anyone.

We've had activities starting anywhere from 6-730PM for our 4y/o.  6 is tough, because it means leaving at 5PM on the dot or a little before, and then it's a mad rush to get to school, pick her up, get her home, change her, get her to wolf down something quick, then get back in the car and get to her activity on time.  And we (mom and dad) end up eating afterwards at about 730-8PM.  7 is a little better because we can all eat beforehand. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16645 on: February 06, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »

7 pm.  Ah, 7 pm would be glorious.  I wonder how much of this is kid personality, family style, etc.

For the most part, the people I know whose kids go to bed that early (6-7:30 pm) have a stay at home parent.  I don't know why there is the difference?  But at least in my cohort, that seems to be the case. 

We would have a very hard time with 7 pm.  We don't get home until 5:30 pm most days (that's just a regular day, not a sports day).  We don't finish dinner until 6:30 or 7 pm.  There would be no down time, play time bath time.

Neither one of my boys is a sleeper.  They are always on the low end for the age.  So, if at age 2 you should be sleeping 12-14 hours a day, they would be at 11.5 to 12. 
If at a different age, you should be sleeping 10-12, they would be at 10.

In any event, the big boy sleeps from 9 pm to 6:30 or 7 or 7:30 am (he's 10).
The little guy sleeps from 9:30 until 7:30 (he's 4).  Plus he naps at preschool, for 1 to 2.5 hours.

The naps kill me (he will go to sleep an hour earlier on weekends when he doesn't nap, important because I go to sleep at 9.)  Yesterday he fell asleep on the couch at 4, and napped for 1.5 hours.  I knew that was going to be  a mistake.  I put him to bed as normal and he was STILL AWAKE at 10:35 pm.

I do have two friends who are SAHMs with kids who stay up late. But generally, these families are night owls.  So the kids go to bed at 9 (aged 6 and 4), and the parents are up until midnight.  The entire "night" is shifted a few hours later.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16646 on: February 06, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »
My kid is 2.5 and bedtime is 7:00pm sharp, come hell or high water. She was a bad sleeper (appalling/dreadful/off-the-charts-we-stumped-the-sleep-coach bad) when younger so I am absolutely not willing to be flexible on bedtime. My husband has her in the morning and does daycare drop off while I go to work early. I leave work at 16:00 to pick her up and have dinner with her early to support this. That also leaves us time to ourselves or together as a couple in the evening after she goes to bed. I can't stress how important sleep is for everyone, especially little kids.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16647 on: February 06, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »
My kid is 4.5 and sleeps 8:30/9 to 7 every night.  She also gets an ~hour nap at school every day.  She seems perfectly happy with this amount of sleep. 

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16648 on: February 06, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »

Actually the early games start at 5:30.  I actually dislike that start time more because I have to leave work early to get to the field on time.  There are only so many fields and lots of kids, it's either do this less than optimal scheduling or only let a certain number of kids sign up.  I would rather every kid that wants to play have the opportunity than have tryouts or jack the price up to limit the number of kids.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16649 on: February 06, 2017, 01:36:09 PM »
We've had activities starting anywhere from 6-730PM for our 4y/o.  6 is tough, because it means leaving at 5PM on the dot or a little before, and then it's a mad rush to get to school, pick her up, get her home, change her, get her to wolf down something quick, then get back in the car and get to her activity on time.  And we (mom and dad) end up eating afterwards at about 730-8PM.  7 is a little better because we can all eat beforehand.

I can't imagine how people with big commutes are able to manage this...