Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252523 times)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13600 on: June 22, 2016, 08:48:27 AM »
Today I had a good one.

Me - I am just happy to finally have wifi again after 2 weeks since I moved into this new place.

CW - Me and my partner don't have wifi which sucks since for every 1GB of data we go over on our phone or ipad costs us $10. So most months he will spend $700 on both devices.

Me - 0_0. Yeh a $60 plan can go a long way to stopping that.

Oi!  I get a lot of similar conversations here, but somewhat flipped the other way.  There's a company that provides a bundle "deal" if you get all your services together, which almost all my coworkers use.  Essentially the home phone and wifi, cable and cell phone package all come from the same provider, and of course if you pick the most expensive in each category you "save" the most money (a max of $40 off if you have all 4 services and are in the top tier pricing)!  So my CWs all have unlimited wifi, unlimited cell phone data for them and all their kids, a house phone, and cable.  If you are actually USING all of those services, that's one thing... but when we moved here and I was asking around for the better provider to use, here's a conversation I had with 2 separate CWs:

Me: "Do you ever even use the house phone?" 
CW: "No. But it's included in the bundle"   [Note: it's $30/month extra for the phone, $45 if you want unlimited long distance. It isn't "included".]

Me: "Well, unlimited data is great, but how much are you usually using?"
CW: "Oh, not much.  I check a few emails, maybe watch a video.  Usually less than 1GB.  I mostly use Wi-Fi, but the data is included in the bundle."   [Note: A cell plan with regular 500MB of data is $30.  It is $85 for unlimited internet for one phone, and goes up with each family member, up to $160 for 5 people, plus a regular cell phone plan under that.]

Me: "If I do a quick calculation here for your family, it looks like you'd save a minimum of $50/month if you don't buy the bundle, and keep using the same services you are using."
CW: "It's only $50/month, and having it in a bundle is just easier."
Me: "But nothing would change. It's all still on one bill, no one would have to come disconnect anything, it would be exactly the same."
CW: "Nah, this is just easier."

I give up.

I have the Comcast Xfinity Triple Play, and I ran the numbers, "unlimited long distance" land line cost $9 to include in my bundle.  Given that I have a small child who I sometimes leave with a baby sitter, and my cell phone is a work phone, I don't own the number, and it's nice to give telemarketers, etc, a number that you don't carry in your pocket 24/7, it's well worth the $9. 

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13601 on: June 22, 2016, 08:52:42 AM »
Today I had a good one.

Me - I am just happy to finally have wifi again after 2 weeks since I moved into this new place.

CW - Me and my partner don't have wifi which sucks since for every 1GB of data we go over on our phone or ipad costs us $10. So most months he will spend $700 on both devices.

Oi!  I get a lot of similar conversations here, but somewhat flipped the other way.  There's a company that provides a bundle "deal" if you get all your services together, which almost all my coworkers use.  Essentially the home phone and wifi, cable and cell phone package all come from the same provider, and of course if you pick the most expensive in each category you "save" the most money (a max of $40 off if you have all 4 services and are in the top tier pricing)!  So my CWs all have unlimited wifi, unlimited cell phone data for them and all their kids, a house phone, and cable.  If you are actually USING all of those services, that's one thing... but when we moved here and I was asking around for the better provider to use, here's a conversation I had with 2 separate CWs:

CW: "No. But it's included in the bundle"   [Note: it's $30/month extra for the phone, $45 if you want unlimited long distance. It isn't "included".]

CW: "Oh, not much.  I check a few emails, maybe watch a video.  Usually less than 1GB.  I mostly use Wi-Fi, but the data is included in the bundle."   [Note: A cell plan with regular 500MB of data is $30.  It is $85 for unlimited internet for one phone, and goes up with each family member, up to $160 for 5 people, plus a regular cell phone plan under that.]

Me: "If I do a quick calculation here for your family, it looks like you'd save a minimum of $50/month if you don't buy the bundle, and keep using the same services you are using."
Me: "But nothing would change. It's all still on one bill, no one would have to come disconnect anything, it would be exactly the same."

I give up.

I have the Comcast Xfinity Triple Play, and I ran the numbers, "unlimited long distance" land line cost $9 to include in my bundle.  Given that I have a small child who I sometimes leave with a baby sitter, and my cell phone is a work phone, I don't own the number, and it's nice to give telemarketers, etc, a number that you don't carry in your pocket 24/7, it's well worth the $9.

I'm pregnant now, and have been playing with a landline.  I think if we end up doing a nanny or nanny share, I'll definitely look in to it.  We don't own a TV, so I doubt a "bundle" would make sense, but it may still be worth it.

canuck_24

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13602 on: June 22, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
Today I had a good one.

I give up.

I'm pregnant now, and have been playing with a landline.  I think if we end up doing a nanny or nanny share, I'll definitely look in to it.  We don't own a TV, so I doubt a "bundle" would make sense, but it may still be worth it.

If you're USING the things you are paying for in your bundle is one thing, but just paying for it because the company spun the whole package as a "savings"... well, that's an entirely different story.  If I had small kids at home, I would probably consider having a landline too.  I don't, and the CWs mentioned in the story don't - their kids are all teenagers and all have cell phones with unlimited everything plans.

Probably worth mentioning too that I'm in Canada and don't get many of the cell phone promo deals available States-side.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13603 on: June 22, 2016, 09:30:29 AM »

We actually got a landline after having a kid and moving to the country... mostly because having a 'family' line meant that child-related things went to the family, and NOT only to The Mom who would then be expected to coordinate EVERYTHING. And because the landline doesn't drop a signal when there's crappy weather. Yay spotty cell coverage!

We don't bundle, though - we have internet (special company, because we are in the middle of nowhere), have cheap cell phones with another place, and the cheapest no-frills landline with a third company. Any company that offers bundling either doesn't do internet where we live (seriously, middle of nowhere) OR only uses it to push cable TV packages, which we never listen to, so NOPE.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13604 on: June 22, 2016, 10:15:41 AM »
Today I had a good one.

I give up.

I called to drop our cable, since we don't watch it. It was cheaper for me to keep [a lower level of] cable than to drop it. Seriously, internet alone costs more than the same internet plus cable. WTF?

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13605 on: June 22, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
I called to drop our cable, since we don't watch it. It was cheaper for me to keep [a lower level of] cable than to drop it. Seriously, internet alone costs more than the same internet plus cable. WTF?

For most people, they know if it's there they'll watch it, which means they're watching commercials.  I imagine the variable costs for one more cable customer, when the lines are already all there, are almost nil.

Million2000

• Stubble
« Reply #13606 on: June 22, 2016, 10:48:42 AM »

For most people, they know if it's there they'll watch it, which means they're watching commercials.  I imagine the variable costs for one more cable customer, when the lines are already all there, are almost nil.

My household doesn't have a TV, so we only want internet. For a while I kept getting blasted with cold calls asking me to sign up for a bundle that included phone and cable TV. One guy just kept talking about how great the TV cable package was even after I repeatedly told him I didn't have the equipment to use this "great package". I guess he was trying to get me to buy a TV. I ended up hanging up on him, I couldn't even interrupt the guy to say goodbye.

It was almost as bad as the Comcast customer retention lady telling me the lower tier internet speed (3mbps) was "too slow" for wifi. The cable companies are truly banking on the illiterate consumer.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13607 on: June 22, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »

We actually got a landline after having a kid and moving to the country... mostly because having a 'family' line meant that child-related things went to the family, and NOT only to The Mom who would then be expected to coordinate EVERYTHING. And because the landline doesn't drop a signal when there's crappy weather. Yay spotty cell coverage!

We don't bundle, though - we have internet (special company, because we are in the middle of nowhere), have cheap cell phones with another place, and the cheapest no-frills landline with a third company. Any company that offers bundling either doesn't do internet where we live (seriously, middle of nowhere) OR only uses it to push cable TV packages, which we never listen to, so NOPE.

But the "landline" on Xfinity-type bundles isn't even a real landline.  It's a glorified VOIP phone that uses the cable system.  So if your internet goes down (e.g., power goes out), likely your "landline" will be down as well.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13608 on: June 22, 2016, 11:21:44 AM »

But the "landline" on Xfinity-type bundles isn't even a real landline.  It's a glorified VOIP phone that uses the cable system.  So if your internet goes down (e.g., power goes out), likely your "landline" will be down as well.

Yep. And that's why we have an old-school landline.

And non-cable internet, because the actual lines around here are bad enough that you can only get dial-up.

When I say middle of nowhere with crap infrastructure? I mean it.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13609 on: June 22, 2016, 11:34:46 AM »

Yep. And that's why we have an old-school landline.

And non-cable internet, because the actual lines around here are bad enough that you can only get dial-up.

When I say middle of nowhere with crap infrastructure? I mean it.

This is why we have DSL, and we are well aware of how lucky we are to have it - 3mbps on good days, and it is the only option. No cell data coverage here at all, though we do have spotty voice signal. Cable's not available, for Internet or TV.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #13610 on: June 22, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »

Plus, vanguard's developed Europe etf is currently paying 3.5% dividends.

A bit OT: How do you invest with Vanguard in Italy? I thought they weren't sold in Italy. Or is there an affiliated company that sells them, like Questrade in Canada?

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #13611 on: June 22, 2016, 03:07:04 PM »

We got an Ooma for this purpose.  We still use it occasionally for non-babysitter things as well.  I think it's about $5/mo for the taxes associated with the line (in our jurisdiction anyway).  It does have the same VOIP issues if power/internet goes down.  You need an internet connection with decent latency as well.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #13612 on: June 22, 2016, 03:14:36 PM »
Who the heck uses a house phone for long distance?

My mom. Still. Even though she's had a cell phone for years. <sigh>

She's a smart lady in most ways. Just not all of them.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13613 on: June 22, 2016, 03:22:54 PM »

Because once you have cable, even if you never watch it, there is a small chance that you can be sold some premium package. It's a smaller step to sell an existing customer a "free for 3months" $50/month package than it is to attract a completely new subscriber.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13614 on: June 22, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »

Because once you have cable, even if you never watch it, there is a small chance that you can be sold some premium package. It's a smaller step to sell an existing customer a "free for 3months" $50/month package than it is to attract a completely new subscriber.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13615 on: June 22, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »

We actually got a landline after having a kid and moving to the country... mostly because having a 'family' line meant that child-related things went to the family, and NOT only to The Mom who would then be expected to coordinate EVERYTHING.

We got rid of that problem after I answered the phone while traveling for work a few times: "Sorry, I'm in Brussels and won't be home until Sunday. I can't bring the kid's rain clothes to school right now. Could you please call the father? You will find his name in the contact list, next to the comment "father is primary contact person, please only call mom if you can't get hold of dad".

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #13616 on: June 22, 2016, 03:44:31 PM »

I wonder how many people who buy cable/Internet packages despite needing only the Internet subscription ever actually go out and buy a television because they're already paying for cable service they cannot otherwise use.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13617 on: June 22, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »
We have a landline because as I have gotten older I can't hear as well as before and it is much easier to hear on the landline.  My adult kids only have cells.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13618 on: June 22, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »

We actually got a landline after having a kid and moving to the country... mostly because having a 'family' line meant that child-related things went to the family, and NOT only to The Mom who would then be expected to coordinate EVERYTHING.

We got rid of that problem after I answered the phone while traveling for work a few times: "Sorry, I'm in Brussels and won't be home until Sunday. I can't bring the kid's rain clothes to school right now. Could you please call the father? You will find his name in the contact list, next to the comment "father is primary contact person, please only call mom if you can't get hold of dad".

Brilliant, but so annoying that you had to do this.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #13619 on: June 22, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »

In New Zealand it's still significantly cheaper to use a land line to call another lanline user

Landline to landline rates per minute 5 cents
Mobile to mobile/landline rate per minute 30 cents

terrier56

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13620 on: June 22, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »
he will spend $700 on both devices.

lol wow , did CW say it with pride or like that's cool? Or did they at least seem embarrassed sharing that information?

It wasn't a pride thing or embarrassment. Kind of like she was angry at him but also understood how it could happen because errrry one needs data so how could he be expected to stop?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13621 on: June 22, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »

In New Zealand it's still significantly cheaper to use a land line to call another lanline user

That would be rather expensive compared to a typical landline or mobile plan in the United States.  I actually do have a landline for the house still, it costs me $14 per month, and I can call anyone in the 48 continuous United States for nothing at all.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13622 on: June 23, 2016, 12:30:47 AM »

That would be rather expensive compared to a typical landline or mobile plan in the United States.  I actually do have a landline for the house still, it costs me $14 per month, and I can call anyone in the 48 continuous United States for nothing at all.

It's really expensive compared to modern communications technology, which is free.  Skype, Facetime, Whatsapp, you name it.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13623 on: June 23, 2016, 01:46:55 AM »

It's really expensive compared to modern communications technology, which is free.  Skype, Facetime, Whatsapp, you name it.

Well, those things aren't free. There is just no additional cost, if you already have the equipment and required connection to use them. The data is coming from somewhere, and someone paid for the smart phone. Not saying it isn't a lot cheaper, but that's not the same as free.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13624 on: June 23, 2016, 07:08:48 AM »
I wonder how many people who buy cable/Internet packages despite needing only the Internet subscription ever actually go out and buy a television because they're already paying for cable service they cannot otherwise use.
Guilty of something kinda similar. Apartment came with a TV, but landlord took the TV stand. We get free cable TV in our building, but had to go out and buy a new TV stand to use it. So technically we didn't pay for the TV or the cable... but we still paid for the stand which enables us to watch cable TV despite having Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions. (But... Food Network! And Blackhawks games!)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13625 on: June 23, 2016, 07:34:35 AM »
Guilty of something kinda similar. Apartment came with a TV, but landlord took the TV stand. We get free cable TV in our building, but had to go out and buy a new TV stand to use it. So technically we didn't pay for the TV or the cable... but we still paid for the stand which enables us to watch cable TV despite having Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions. (But... Food Network! And Blackhawks games!)

Blackhawks, pfft. HABS. (Or Penguins, should Habs not be playing).

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13626 on: June 23, 2016, 08:01:57 AM »

I live in Chicago, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to not be a 'Hawks fan here. :P

Actually I didn't discover hockey until I moved here. Not a whole lot of it back home in New Mexico. I mean I watched the Mighty Ducks growing up, but that was pretty much it.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13627 on: June 23, 2016, 08:20:29 AM »

Actually I didn't discover hockey until I moved here. Not a whole lot of it back home in New Mexico. I mean I watched the Mighty Ducks growing up, but that was pretty much it.

You didn't live here during the dark ages. Been a huge fan my whole life, but when I was in middle and high school I could get in for $8 with a student ID and just upgrade myself to the 100 level. I was the weird one in school because instead of having a Sosa or Konerko or Jordan or Urlacher jersey, I had a Chelios jersey.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13628 on: June 23, 2016, 08:47:58 AM »

You didn't live here during the dark ages. Been a huge fan my whole life, but when I was in middle and high school I could get in for $8 with a student ID and just upgrade myself to the 100 level. I was the weird one in school because instead of having a Sosa or Konerko or Jordan or Urlacher jersey, I had a Chelios jersey.
We want jerseys, but they're so not Mustachian purchases. (The cat has one though...) I wish I'd discovered hockey sooner--I do feel like a bandwagoner, but that's just bad timing (I moved here in 2012). If I'd known that the Blackhawks existed, I'd have been a fan because I've always loved Chicago, and hockey is actually interesting.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13629 on: June 23, 2016, 08:55:52 AM »

We want jerseys, but they're so not Mustachian purchases. (The cat has one though...) I wish I'd discovered hockey sooner--I do feel like a bandwagoner, but that's just bad timing (I moved here in 2012). If I'd known that the Blackhawks existed, I'd have been a fan because I've always loved Chicago, and hockey is actually interesting.

They're the perfect Christmas/Birthday gift! Something you really want but just can't do.

FWIW, they're really pretty hardy--I've had mine for about 15 years now (and played hockey in it!) and it is still in very good condition.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13630 on: June 23, 2016, 08:56:40 AM »

It's also required that the person you are trying to contact have that technology on the other end.  Hard to facetime with my wife's grandma who doesn't even know what an internet is or what she would do with it if she had one.  Plus, even my moderately tech saavy parents and grandmother don't have their cell phone or iPad within arm's reach at all times like us younger folk do.  I regularly get responses to texts I sent 2-3 days ago from my mom because she just doesn't look at her phone that often.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13631 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:21 AM »
I'm the person who doesn't look at the phone - especially on weekends.

My boss was peeved because I hadn't answered a phone call from him (Japan to US) for several days.
Did I mention it is a company phone?

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13632 on: June 23, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »

So this just happened at the cubicle behind me a minute ago:
"Is that a RED WINGS jersey?"
"Yeah..."
"You're in CHICAGO."

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13633 on: June 23, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »

It's also required that the person you are trying to contact have that technology on the other end.  Hard to facetime with my wife's grandma who doesn't even know what an internet is or what she would do with it if she had one.  Plus, even my moderately tech saavy parents and grandmother don't have their cell phone or iPad within arm's reach at all times like us younger folk do.  I regularly get responses to texts I sent 2-3 days ago from my mom because she just doesn't look at her phone that often.

It's not quite free, but for $30 a year you can call from skype to mobile or landline phones (that's US, Mexico, and Canada - those in other countries would have to check for themselves).

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13634 on: June 23, 2016, 03:32:23 PM »

Your wife's grandmother is a luddite.  My 90 year old great-grandaunt has had her own computer since 2003, and my own mother has been mobile only for two decades.  Granted, my Great-Grandaunt was a programmer for the US government for 20 years, and my own mother is almost a gypsy, but still.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13635 on: June 23, 2016, 04:48:48 PM »

Exactly, which is why landlines are so useless.  More and more young people are going internet-only, so good luck trying to contact them via POTS

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #13636 on: June 23, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »
A few years ago we set our grandparents up with a mobile phone and found we could never get through to them on it. Turns out they'd turn it on to make a call, then shut it down completely afterwards. It was a delightful misunderstanding of how they're used. Makes a lot of sense to be honest. Why would you want to be 100% available all the time?

Ha, mine too. My grandma asked me to let her know when I plan to text her so she can turn the phone on. But- both of my grandmothers text! And I enjoy how each text is like a letter, complete with salutation and lovely sign off. Off topic I guess :-)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13637 on: June 23, 2016, 07:31:01 PM »

Your wife's grandmother is a luddite.  My 90 year old great-grandaunt has had her own computer since 2003, and my own mother has been mobile only for two decades.  Granted, my Great-Grandaunt was a programmer for the US government for 20 years, and my own mother is almost a gypsy, but still.

She's 95 and in hospice, but thanks.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13638 on: June 23, 2016, 09:42:13 PM »
Hmm... phome.

JrDoctor

• Stubble
« Reply #13639 on: June 23, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »
Not work technically my house share.  I live in a filthy cheap all bills/utilities 7 bedroom house for £320 a month, which attracts 5 poorer people, one non medical doctor suprisingly and me.  Flat mate next door works in a chainsaw factory, find out he is walking to the petrol station 300m away every day to get a 'costa' coffee made by one of the machines.  Its not much change out of £3.00.  We only pay £11.00 a day to have a roof over our house, electricity, water, gas a council tax.  He complains of being 'skint' and thats why savings doesnt matter.  He is also about a to be laid off as an agency worker but is doing nothing to save and thinks a combination of job seekers allowance and pay day loans will help him.  He also thinks his poor situation in life is the results of us being in the EU.

Mairuiming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13640 on: June 24, 2016, 01:37:54 AM »
He also thinks his poor situation in life is the results of us being in the EU.

At least he doesn't have to worry about that anymore

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #13641 on: June 24, 2016, 02:25:29 AM »

LMAO!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13642 on: June 24, 2016, 03:42:33 AM »
Not work technically my house share.  I live in a filthy cheap all bills/utilities 7 bedroom house for £320 a month, which attracts 5 poorer people, one non medical doctor suprisingly and me.  Flat mate next door works in a chainsaw factory, find out he is walking to the petrol station 300m away every day to get a 'costa' coffee made by one of the machines.  Its not much change out of £3.00.  We only pay £11.00 a day to have a roof over our house, electricity, water, gas a council tax.  He complains of being 'skint' and thats why savings doesnt matter.  He is also about a to be laid off as an agency worker but is doing nothing to save and thinks a combination of job seekers allowance and pay day loans will help him.  He also thinks his poor situation in life is the results of us being in the EU.

At least he is walking? Most other stories on this board would involve a 300m drive to buy overpriced coffee! (but yeah, seriously, £3 on coffee a day with an unstable job... ugh, people).

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #13643 on: June 24, 2016, 06:07:06 AM »

LMAO!

That is NOT funny. Not the way I'm feeling today :(   I'm Scottish, so that should tell you something.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13644 on: June 24, 2016, 06:08:35 AM »

I get that with our property manager who defers to my husband on everything, even though my husband has never attended an inspection, never submitted a maintenance request, and didn't meet the PM for the first two years we lived there.

But still, property manager only calls me when he can't get through to my husband.

PM: I tried to call him and got a funny dial tone.
Me: Yeah, he's in Germany.
PM: Oh.
Me: ... can I help with something? (You've been our PM for five years, mate. He travels. You know this. Even if you do get through to him, he won't be around to deal with whatever it is that you're calling about.)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13645 on: June 24, 2016, 01:13:19 PM »
A few years ago we set our grandparents up with a mobile phone and found we could never get through to them on it. Turns out they'd turn it on to make a call, then shut it down completely afterwards. It was a delightful misunderstanding of how they're used. Makes a lot of sense to be honest. Why would you want to be 100% available all the time?

We have a landline and a trio of cellphones. On the weekends I put mine on charge and ignore it. My wife and our teenager both have them close at hand all the time.

Frankly I'd be happy to forget I have a cellphone most of the time. Luckily it is the $10 a month version.

Wife turns her ringer off at work and then leaves it off (forgets) so we end up conversing via a landline anyhow... ;)

Our house is in an iffy part of the county and the cell reception could be better.

Anyone that knows me knows how to find me - am at work or home next to landlines most of the time. Leave a message if I'm not there. ;)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #13646 on: June 24, 2016, 01:54:37 PM »

Can I ask who you use for internet? While not in the middle of nowhere, I am in the "country" and have very limited internet options. Most of which are astronomically expensive and include a data cap.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13647 on: June 24, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »
Indirectly through another friend: guys at work calculating the depreciation on their cars/trucks that were just a few years old. In was hundreds of dollars per month. They are apparently car hoppers?

Friend couldn't decide if it was commiseration or a badge of honor.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13648 on: June 25, 2016, 07:09:19 AM »

Continue checking your bills. Every year, my rate suddenly changes again. I call the company, and they explain to me that that "special deal" was only for one year (or two if I was on contract). So then I remove e service. I'm in my fifth year here and I've had internet only, then internet with basic cable bundle, then back to Internet only, then back to the bundle.  I'm still paying the same $54 per month with or without, but I have to keep making the call once per year to keep the same rate. I hooked up the cable once, but now have my cable jacks connected to an outside antenna, so too much bother to hook up cable again. Plus the  OTA channels get a better picture than cable.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13649 on: June 25, 2016, 01:35:41 PM »

Continue checking your bills. Every year, my rate suddenly changes again. I call the company, and they explain to me that that "special deal" was only for one year (or two if I was on contract). So then I remove e service. I'm in my fifth year here and I've had internet only, then internet with basic cable bundle, then back to Internet only, then back to the bundle.  I'm still paying the same $54 per month with or without, but I have to keep making the call once per year to keep the same rate. I hooked up the cable once, but now have my cable jacks connected to an outside antenna, so too much bother to hook up cable again. Plus the  OTA channels get a better picture than cable.

We've got two main internet providers here and I expect that when our two year contract is up ($40/month or so after taxes/fees) that they will be more than happy to find creative ways to keep our rates low. Since their competitor has comparable offers fairly often too...