Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253193 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17550 on: May 25, 2017, 04:12:02 AM »
I honestly don't even know what a "spa day" is. Is it like...manicures and a facial treatment? I always thought this was something that was only in the movies (but they never actually show them as far as I remember), or for special occasions like your engagement party.

My running joke with my husband is that I have spa days when he's away for work.

In reality, I drink, watch Top Gear and eat nachos. Husband mopes that he misses out on bachelor fun times. :D

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17551 on: May 25, 2017, 05:50:09 AM »
Wore a Denali jacket to work last week.

Colleague: I love your jacket!
Me: Thank you.
Colleague: No, I really love it! I have to buy one. Where did you get it?
Me: Anaconda... six years ago.
Colleague: What? And you're still wearing it?
Me: ... yes.
Colleague: Oh I'd never keep something for that long.

Well, I do. It was $80 and after six years, 10 countries and a lot of festivals and events, it still looks like new apart from the tab missing on one sleeve zipper.

Funny that she loved it, but wouldn't (or now doesn't) knowing that it was 6 years old??
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:07:32 AM by Rollin »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17552 on: May 25, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »

Well, I do. It was $80 and after six years, 10 countries and a lot of festivals and events, it still looks like new apart from the tab missing on one sleeve zipper.

Funny that she loved it, but wouldn't (or now doesn't) knowing that it was 6 years old??

I'm about to spend about $20 "restoring" my favorite jacket. Needs to be dry cleaned and a bunch of buttons sewn back on. But I love it, and have owned it since I was 13. 14 years going on strong, why stop now?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17553 on: May 25, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »

I'm about to spend about $20 "restoring" my favorite jacket. Needs to be dry cleaned and a bunch of buttons sewn back on. But I love it, and have owned it since I was 13. 14 years going on strong, why stop now?

I 'invested' in a high-quality black peacoat/over coat when I first started working about 12 years ago, and a similar brown one a couple years later, and they're both still great.  Get them dry cleaned every few years and had the inside sleeve lining of one of them stitched up, but otherwise no reason to think they won't last another decade or more. 

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17554 on: May 25, 2017, 10:23:46 AM »
I have friends who bought an Instant Pot from Amazon right around Black Friday last year when they were on super-duper sale - great, right? Except it's still in the box, they've never used it. I'm wondering how long I have to wait to ask them if they'd sell it to me.

To be fair, the Black Friday sale was an amazing deal. I love my Instant Pot and use it for a ton of different dishes. We bought my parents one on Black Friday as a gift. They were contemplating buying their own because we spoke so highly of it and they use theirs frequently as well :)

Oh, I know! I was just like, "Oh hon, why did you buy it and then never use it?"

Lentils4Lunch

• Stubble
« Reply #17555 on: May 25, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
I got one!

My former co-worker's daughter was recently deciding between two colleges. One is local and has offered her a full scholarship including room and board. The other one is on the other side of the country and will cost them... wait for it...

$100,000 a year!!!!

I didn't ask the details, but I believe this is a private college unlikely to offer her a scholarship. I'm guessing he must be factoring in some very fancy room and board along with travel costs for flying here out and back a few times a year?!

Anyway, we had this conversation a few months ago so she must have made the decision by now. I should go Facebook stalk him to see if I can figure out which college she went with. If she went with pricey one, he and his wife are still planning to foot 100 percent of the bill because daughter wants to be an actress and probably won't be making much upon graduation.

I genuinely like this guy and his family. They are obviously extremely devoted to allowing their daughter to pursue her dream. He seemed very Zen about the whole thing. But damn!

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17556 on: May 25, 2017, 09:39:35 PM »
I have a colleague who is otherwise quite frugal and brings his own lunch to work. BUT, he and his family are going to a Spa. This is a swimming pool with extra warm water and some bubble bath. He says he won't pay for any extra services because it is ridiculously expensive. But the spa itself is not cheap either. Another colleague who was in our room said that she would take all these extra services (mud on your face, massage, etc).

I have never paid for a Spa. Been in a hotel with a Spa when my company paid for it and been in the warm pool and the bubble bath. But paying myself for this? Really? No way!

Eh, if this is their one vacation for the year, I can see it.  My sister is turning 30 this year, and I'm planning a spa day for the two of us.  I've never done one before, and it's probably not something I'll do again for a while, but I have money set aside for things like this.  I save in certain areas so I can splurge in others.  This will be one of the times I choose to splurge.  If he is frugal most of the time, this could have been one of his rare splurges.
After high school, some girl friends from school and I would go to a spa to relax and catch up whenever any of us happened to be in town at the same time. I think it was something like $9 and we could stay there as long as we wanted using the baths and sauna. I mean it wasn't free, but it was much cheaper than going to a restaurant or bar.

Is it sad that I am now thinking of having a spa day for myself? I might be good for me to pamper myself a little and I have the money to pay for it, though I would of course like to know what the total cost is first.

If you have massages covered under benefits, many very fancy spas have RMTs. And you can continue to use the facility after just having your massage. So go early, check in, hot tub, lounge around and drink the complimentary coffee, chat, swim. Get a massage, which is fully reimbursable, then stay and swim/hot tub/sauna at the spa as long as you like at no additional charge. One very nice day and no money out of your pocket that you won't be reimbursed.  Eg Pillar and Post in Niagara on the Lake is fantastic for this. Gorgeous facility and often very quiet.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:42:12 PM by MBot »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17557 on: May 26, 2017, 08:48:52 AM »
o go early, check in, hot tub, lounge around and drink the complimentary coffee, chat, swim. Get a massage, which is fully reimbursable, then stay and swim/hot tub/sauna at the spa as long as you like at no additional charge

I LOVE spa days. I do it very rarely (as in every couple of years) but when I do it is such a treat. Just walking in to the place and smelling the subtle incense and hearing the soft music makes me feel more relaxed. I love the huge hot tub/pool, the free fruit and fruit-flavored water, the quiet nap room, etc. etc. Aaaahhhh.

I suspect a big part of it is that when i go to the spa it is entirely me time with no sense of guilt for not getting stuff done. I love weekends around the house, but I always feel like I am *on* doing something or another. I very rarely get to just sit and veg. It's amazing how there are always so many things to do or demands on me.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17558 on: May 26, 2017, 09:02:03 AM »
I got one!

My former co-worker's daughter was recently deciding between two colleges. One is local and has offered her a full scholarship including room and board. The other one is on the other side of the country and will cost them... wait for it...

$100,000 a year!!!!

I didn't ask the details, but I believe this is a private college unlikely to offer her a scholarship. I'm guessing he must be factoring in some very fancy room and board along with travel costs for flying here out and back a few times a year?!

Anyway, we had this conversation a few months ago so she must have made the decision by now. I should go Facebook stalk him to see if I can figure out which college she went with. If she went with pricey one, he and his wife are still planning to foot 100 percent of the bill because daughter wants to be an actress and probably won't be making much upon graduation.

I genuinely like this guy and his family. They are obviously extremely devoted to allowing their daughter to pursue her dream. He seemed very Zen about the whole thing. But damn!

Yeah, there's no way that 100k is the yearly tuition number. At least not in the US. I think Columbia has the highest tuition in the US at $55,161.

Also, the assumption "this is a private college unlikely to offer her scholarships"; if that's based on her and her specific circumstance, fine, but in general, private colleges are more generous with scholarships because they can often afford to be.  My wife has a cousin from a relatively low-income family and it was FAR cheaper for their daughter to go to (local prestigious private college) than it was to go to (main campus of local state school) when scholarships were accounted for. 

threefive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17559 on: May 26, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »
Yeah, there's no way that 100k is the yearly tuition number. At least not in the US. I think Columbia has the highest tuition in the US at $55,161.

Also, the assumption "this is a private college unlikely to offer her scholarships"; if that's based on her and her specific circumstance, fine, but in general, private colleges are more generous with scholarships because they can often afford to be.  My wife has a cousin from a relatively low-income family and it was FAR cheaper for their daughter to go to (local prestigious private college) than it was to go to (main campus of local state school) when scholarships were accounted for.

I work in higher ed. It's almost impossible to go to a private college/university WITHOUT getting some sort of scholarship. The only people that pay sticker price are really rich international students. I went to an "expensive" private college in a different state form my hometown, mostly because they gave me enough aid that it ended up costing as much as the local state university. I wasn't even a very good student. That said, turning down a full ride is stupid.

Stanford is roughly $45k in tuition per year and is located right in the middle of one of the most expensive areas in the world. With the most expensive housing and meal plan available, it's still "only" about $60k per year for full sticker price. To get to $100k, special snowflake would need to rent a relatively nice 1 BR apartment for themselves in Palo Alto for the entire year, ignore they now have a kitchen and buy a meal plan, buy a car, and blow a crap ton of cash each week on booze. $100k per year is more than likely an exaggeration, or they meant total.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17560 on: May 27, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »
I got one!

$100,000 a year!!!!

I didn't ask the details,

Perhaps the coworker is also adding the opportunity cost of her time in college?

As for the OP, please be encouraged to ask for details and share with us. If you want, I don't know your work environment and coworker so it also may not be wise to pry too much.

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #17561 on: May 27, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »
Not an overheard type story, but in my shared office area 5 or 6 guys sit when we are between tasks and we surf the internet.  I'm always looking at real estate listings and reading financial pages and blogs, all of my co-workers are browsing craigslist, newegg, and any site you can think of, looking to buy more crap.   They usually don't have anything in particular they are looking for, but always seem to find something they didn't know they needed.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17562 on: May 28, 2017, 05:59:31 AM »
... They usually don't have anything in particular they are looking for, but always seem to find something they didn't know they needed.

This is an important and interesting point. I don't typically look at coupons, because I find myself more likely to buy something I don't really need if I'm under the guise that it's "a good deal". I think the same can be said for random online store browsing, or walking through an actual store- the more you are surrounded with unneeded crap, the more likely you will buy something.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17563 on: May 28, 2017, 11:27:29 AM »
... They usually don't have anything in particular they are looking for, but always seem to find something they didn't know they needed.

This is an important and interesting point. I don't typically look at coupons, because I find myself more likely to buy something I don't really need if I'm under the guise that it's "a good deal". I think the same can be said for random online store browsing, or walking through an actual store- the more you are surrounded with unneeded crap, the more likely you will buy something.

Yes!  This is also why cutting cable is so effective, it saves $$ but it also reduces your exposure to unneeded crap.

Lentils4Lunch

• Stubble
« Reply #17564 on: May 28, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »

As for the OP, please be encouraged to ask for details and share with us. If you want, I don't know your work environment and coworker so it also may not be wise to pry too much.

Alright, OP here. I figured out the school: American Academy of Dramatic Arts in LA.

As others have pointed out, this $100k figure is wildly off, even accounting for pricey off campus housing, a car, and frequent flights across the country. Tuition, fees, room and board is projected to run $50k per year according to their website. So now I feel silly and gullible!

threefive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17565 on: May 28, 2017, 12:14:18 PM »

Alright, OP here. I figured out the school: American Academy of Dramatic Arts in LA.

As others have pointed out, this $100k figure is wildly off, even accounting for pricey off campus housing, a car, and frequent flights across the country. Tuition, fees, room and board is projected to run $50k per year according to their website. So now I feel silly and gullible!

Well ... The best justification I can come up with for a $50k/year vs. friggin' free education is that in that field, connections are probably pretty much necessary to get anywhere other than low-income cruise ship shows. It's more likely those connections would be made at someplace like the Academy vs. the drama department at South Regional State University. They'll still end up singing and acting on cruise ships, though.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17566 on: May 29, 2017, 12:10:56 AM »

Well ... The best justification I can come up with for a $50k/year vs. friggin' free education is that in that field, connections are probably pretty much necessary to get anywhere other than low-income cruise ship shows. It's more likely those connections would be made at someplace like the Academy vs. the drama department at South Regional State University. They'll still end up singing and acting on cruise ships, though.
I wonder just how many successful actors call the American  Academy of Dramatic Arts their Alma Mater.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17568 on: May 30, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
CW pays for a gardener to come by his house every other week to cut the grass (small tract home lawn) and use the edge trimmer on the bushes. Costs $100 a month. He says it's a good deal because it would take almost an hour to do the work himself! (Also note I estimate his gross wages are $30-$35 an hour and wife doesn't work).

He just bought a $500 lawn mower. "Just in case" they want to mow in between when the gardener comes. Mowing every single week?? I'm no lawn doctor but that is crazy, I mow when the lawn starts looking overgrown, where we live this is about once per month. Plus he says "if" they ever decide in the future to get rid of the gardener they will need to mow the lawn again themselves and would need a new mower because his wife had a hard time pushing the old one so they needed a new one. Plus they saved all this money using an old lawn mower for 2 years that it makes sense to buy a new one already.

Also needed to purchase a 3 year extended warranty on the mower they don't have solid plans on using. Because who wants to pay to get that fixed!!

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #17569 on: May 31, 2017, 12:53:12 AM »
CW pays for a gardener to come by his house every other week to cut the grass (small tract home lawn) and use the edge trimmer on the bushes. Costs $100 a month. He says it's a good deal because it would take almost an hour to do the work himself! (Also note I estimate his gross wages are $30-$35 an hour and wife doesn't work).

He just bought a $500 lawn mower. "Just in case" they want to mow in between when the gardener comes. Mowing every single week?? I'm no lawn doctor but that is crazy, I mow when the lawn starts looking overgrown, where we live this is about once per month. Plus he says "if" they ever decide in the future to get rid of the gardener they will need to mow the lawn again themselves and would need a new mower because his wife had a hard time pushing the old one so they needed a new one. Plus they saved all this money using an old lawn mower for 2 years that it makes sense to buy a new one already.

Also needed to purchase a 3 year extended warranty on the mower they don't have solid plans on using. Because who wants to pay to get that fixed!!

While I agree that the gardener, expensive mower and warranty are unnecessary, weekly is about right for grass here in the summer.  My lawn is far from manicured, it looks pretty scruffy most of the time but I still do it weekly in the summer.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17570 on: May 31, 2017, 04:28:16 AM »

A good deal to save 1 hour of work to pay someone to do it for you and having to work 3 hours to pay for this person's 1 hour?
Some people just don't get it.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #17571 on: May 31, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
At the coffee pot, two girls were discussing expensive watches not long after our bonuses got paid out.

CW1: ... DH called me while I was at MegaMall and asked if I was getting [expensive watch]. I said, 'Maybe, I don't know.'
CW2: So he was OK with it?
CW1: He seemed a little surprised when I showed him when I got home. I just told him I used my bonus money for it. He's going to get suspicious because I've told him several times I've spent my bonus money on other stuff.

I'm guessing they can afford it. Young, new mom, sugar-daddy hubby. But she's the sort who needs "retail therapy." When she gets a free day off she goes shoe/furniture shopping for entertainment. I'd be deep in debt if I were married to her. Actually, I'd be divorced if I were married to her, even though she's super nice and pretty cute.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #17572 on: May 31, 2017, 08:32:46 AM »
At the coffee pot, two girls were discussing expensive watches not long after our bonuses got paid out.

CW1: ... DH called me while I was at MegaMall and asked if I was getting [expensive watch]. I said, 'Maybe, I don't know.'
CW2: So he was OK with it?
CW1: He seemed a little surprised when I showed him when I got home. I just told him I used my bonus money for it. He's going to get suspicious because I've told him several times I've spent my bonus money on other stuff.

I'm guessing they can afford it. Young, new mom, sugar-daddy hubby. But she's the sort who needs "retail therapy." When she gets a free day off she goes shoe/furniture shopping for entertainment. I'd be deep in debt if I were married to her. Actually, I'd be divorced if I were married to her, even though she's super nice and pretty cute.
Yeahhh, lying to your spouse about money. What could possibly go wrong?

Gesendet von meinem UMI_MAX mit Tapatalk

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17573 on: May 31, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »
But she's the sort who needs "retail therapy." When she gets a free day off she goes shoe/furniture shopping for entertainment. I'd be deep in debt if I were married to her. Actually, I'd be divorced if I were married to her, even though she's super nice and pretty cute.

I have a CW who married someone who's into retail therapy. She grew up in a trailer park, and now that she makes good money ($300k+bonus) she just spends non stop. They bought a McMansion and she filled it with very expensive furniture (I still remember the $700 duvet conversation) and he said the UPS and Fedex guys are at the door every day.

He tries to control it, but she racks up the credit card balances every year, saying "my bonus will cover it", and so far, it does, but my CW is constantly stressed out balancing debt and transferring it from one cc to another. It's a crappy way to live when you're bringing in $500k a year and still living on the edge.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17574 on: May 31, 2017, 09:57:38 AM »
But she's the sort who needs "retail therapy." When she gets a free day off she goes shoe/furniture shopping for entertainment. I'd be deep in debt if I were married to her. Actually, I'd be divorced if I were married to her, even though she's super nice and pretty cute.

I have a CW who married someone who's into retail therapy. She grew up in a trailer park, and now that she makes good money ($300k+bonus) she just spends non stop. They bought a McMansion and she filled it with very expensive furniture (I still remember the $700 duvet conversation) and he said the UPS and Fedex guys are at the door every day.

He tries to control it, but she racks up the credit card balances every year, saying "my bonus will cover it", and so far, it does, but my CW is constantly stressed out balancing debt and transferring it from one cc to another. It's a crappy way to live when you're bringing in $500k a year and still living on the edge.
500k and still living paycheck to paycheck??? Wow! Just wow!

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #17575 on: May 31, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »

Ho-lee shit. Hope they both like their jobs, they're going to be going to them for a long, long time.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #17576 on: May 31, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »

A good deal to save 1 hour of work to pay someone to do it for you and having to work 3 hours to pay for this person's 1 hour?

When you factor taxes, FICA, etc. his net hourly rate is probably more like the $22-25 range. Working 4 or 5 hours to save yourself an hour? LOL

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17577 on: May 31, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »

When you factor taxes, FICA, etc. his net hourly rate is probably more like the $22-25 range. Working 4 or 5 hours to save yourself an hour? LOL

Well its $100 a month, for every other week, so he's only at 2:1. Working 2 hours to save himself one.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17578 on: May 31, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »

Mowing every single week??

In the spring and summer, we have to mow at LEAST 2x a week or it looks like no one lives there.... But we have a push mower and do it ourselves.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #17579 on: May 31, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »

Well its $100 a month, for every other week, so he's only at 2:1. Working 2 hours to save himself one.

Ahhh I see, you are correct.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17580 on: May 31, 2017, 01:53:28 PM »
^still overall ridiculousness. Not to mention the loss of fitness from not mowing yourself. Mowing (gas powered mower) isn't the most intense workout, but it definitely is something

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17581 on: May 31, 2017, 02:15:06 PM »
In related foam, my wife and I decided to give up on our old-school rotary power push mower. I loved the quietness, the lack of maintenance and gasoline, and the fact that you just picked it up and started using it. But it doesn't cut through dandelions, it doesn't get close enough to the edges, it misses quite a few blades, and you have to pick up every. single. twig. Sadly, it just ins't working very well.

We'll keep it for hitting the backyard every once in a while (grows faster than the front, less sticks), but it just won't work as the only solution.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17582 on: June 01, 2017, 05:31:43 AM »
Bumped into an old school friend. Loves to talk - wonderful life yadda yadda. Married, 3 girls under 5. Wife wants to upgrade to a $2m waterfront property. He's a little unsure whether they can afford it.

I can't believe they're going to eat the $100k stamp duty on the purchase. He kinda intimated "that's why we work".

We were both similarly ambitious in high school... he told me that down the track he still harboured a desire to go further with his career and be a CFO or a senior consultant. I said "I always thought I'd do the same and get a good job, and get to the top but now... now, well... you've got 3 girls, you know there're more to life. If I'm not retired in 10 years I reckon I've done something wrong".

I hope it got him thinking.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #17583 on: June 01, 2017, 08:07:54 AM »
Bumped into an old school friend. Loves to talk - wonderful life yadda yadda. Married, 3 girls under 5. Wife wants to upgrade to a $2m waterfront property. He's a little unsure whether they can afford it.

Gotta make sure those chains are firmly secured to his office desk - a mortgage on a $2M property will do that to you. God bless 'em, we need busy busy worker bees to keep these comapanies running so I can keep getting those dividend payments every quarter.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17584 on: June 01, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
  If I'm not retired in 10 years I reckon I've done something wrong.

I might give myself 15, but this is definitely a great mantra to have.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17585 on: June 01, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »

LOL, in my area, once a month would require either a baler to harvest the tall straw, or renting a brush hog, since there is no standard mower getting through that much grass. In this weather, I do mine every 6-7 days and it looks presentable, but far from showplace grade. At that schedule it's too thick to be  mulched by the mower, since the mower clogs up. No matter how I do it, I end up with large clumps of excess grass all over the yard. I could easily do it every three to four days or so, like some of my retired, grass obsessed neighbors. 

LondonBorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17586 on: June 02, 2017, 01:58:36 AM »
Not an overheard as such but a bit about my boss which might be of interest... he gets into the office for 6am and leaves at around 18-18:30pm, when the working hours are 9:30-17:30. To help him do this he drinks an average of 5 coffees a day. Not instant or home brewed, paid for (on top of the 3 coffees he has at home before and after work). On top of this he smokes around 20 a day and buys lunch daily, so let's do some painful maths.

One coffee = £3
20 cigs = £11 ish
Lunch = £4
5 coffees = £15
Total daily outlay = £30
Monthly = £690
Yearly = £8,280

On top of having to commute to work which is around £2,000 a year, and not even taking into consideration the health problems this will cause, this makes for painful thinking.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17587 on: June 02, 2017, 05:09:40 AM »
One of my colleagues brought a plastic bag with loose chocolates in it to work. He told me they are luxury chocolates from a large box of a well known Norwegian brand. His family doesn't want to eat it and he can't eat it all by himself. Therefore he brought it here to work. :-)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17588 on: June 02, 2017, 05:22:30 AM »
Not an overheard as such but a bit about my boss which might be of interest... he gets into the office for 6am and leaves at around 18-18:30pm, when the working hours are 9:30-17:30. To help him do this he drinks an average of 5 coffees a day. Not instant or home brewed, paid for (on top of the 3 coffees he has at home before and after work). On top of this he smokes around 20 a day and buys lunch daily, so let's do some painful maths.

One coffee = £3
20 cigs = £11 ish
Lunch = £4
5 coffees = £15
Total daily outlay = £30
Monthly = £690
Yearly = £8,280

On top of having to commute to work which is around £2,000 a year, and not even taking into consideration the health problems this will cause, this makes for painful thinking.

Query: Is he making substantially more than £7.50/hr? Because if he works an extra 4 hours a day and spends £30 to do so, that's the break even point for just the money - not including the potential lung cancer and heart attack from the cigarettes, coffee, stress and lack of sleep.

LondonBorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17589 on: June 02, 2017, 07:36:11 AM »

One coffee = £3
20 cigs = £11 ish
Lunch = £4
5 coffees = £15
Total daily outlay = £30
Monthly = £690
Yearly = £8,280

Query: Is he making substantially more than £7.50/hr? Because if he works an extra 4 hours a day and spends £30 to do so, that's the break even point for just the money - not including the potential lung cancer and heart attack from the cigarettes, coffee, stress and lack of sleep.

Interesting point. Yes, I imagine he's earning in the region of £20-25/hr gross. He also takes cabs home from the station a few times a week just to add to the already expensive commuting costs. All that money wasted just contributing to an inevitable early decline in health.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #17590 on: June 02, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »
he gets into the office for 6am and leaves at around 18-18:30pm, when the working hours are 9:30-17:30.

He must really hate being home with his family. I've noticed that many times workaholics like this are avoiding something at home - wife bitching all the time, kids being hellions, etc.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17591 on: June 02, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »

LOL, in my area, once a month would require either a baler to harvest the tall straw, or renting a brush hog, since there is no standard mower getting through that much grass. In this weather, I do mine every 6-7 days and it looks presentable, but far from showplace grade. At that schedule it's too thick to be  mulched by the mower, since the mower clogs up. No matter how I do it, I end up with large clumps of excess grass all over the yard. I could easily do it every three to four days or so, like some of my retired, grass obsessed neighbors.

Same here.  You never want to remove more than 1/3 of the height of the grass.  My next door neighbor is on the once a month plan.  It looks like hell during every part of the cycle.  Beginning of the cycle it is scalped and brown with clipping windrows.  Mid cycle it looks ok but uneven.  End of cycle it is way too long.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17592 on: June 02, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well put!

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17593 on: June 02, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »

Same here.  You never want to remove more than 1/3 of the height of the grass.  My next door neighbor is on the once a month plan.  It looks like hell during every part of the cycle.  Beginning of the cycle it is scalped and brown with clipping windrows.  Mid cycle it looks ok but uneven.  End of cycle it is way too long.

Wow, love how this all started into a debate about when to cut grass. Me and CW don't live in a particularly hospitable area of grass growth, so the only way it would grow enough to need to be cut more than every other week is if he is watering it a crap ton. I estimate the water bill between an OK lawn and "nice" lawn is minimum $40 a month additional for a teeny tiny lawn (not to mention the environmental impact).

I'm sure all of u would have a heart attack over my mediocre, once-a-month-cut little patch of front lawn. Not crazy and over grown, but it is not lush or overly green. Just enough to keep it alive and not a complete eyesore from across the street.  But I guess it's all a matter of opinion; I would rather save my money and my weekend time in exchange for a half assed tract home lawn.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17594 on: June 02, 2017, 03:27:46 PM »
Wow, love how this all started into a debate about when to cut grass.

Yea, this is a very weird thing to debate.  It's so dependent on where you live...

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17595 on: June 02, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »

Wow, love how this all started into a debate about when to cut grass. Me and CW don't live in a particularly hospitable area of grass growth, so the only way it would grow enough to need to be cut more than every other week is if he is watering it a crap ton. I estimate the water bill between an OK lawn and "nice" lawn is minimum $40 a month additional for a teeny tiny lawn (not to mention the environmental impact).

I'm sure all of u would have a heart attack over my mediocre, once-a-month-cut little patch of front lawn. Not crazy and over grown, but it is not lush or overly green. Just enough to keep it alive and not a complete eyesore from across the street.  But I guess it's all a matter of opinion; I would rather save my money and my weekend time in exchange for a half assed tract home lawn.

Sounds similar to my strategy; we water just enough to keep the lawn on the ragged edge of alive/dead. We shoot for once a month cuttings. Still too much water in my opinion, because we live in the bottom of valley filled with gravel (literally a gravel mine a mile away).

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17596 on: June 02, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »
Wow, love how this all started into a debate about when to cut grass.

Yea, this is a very weird thing to debate.  It's so dependent on where you live...

For me it's basically a low cost hobby that adds value to my home.  A little extra care goes a long way.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17597 on: June 03, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »

Sounds similar to my strategy; we water just enough to keep the lawn on the ragged edge of alive/dead. We shoot for once a month cuttings. Still too much water in my opinion, because we live in the bottom of valley filled with gravel (literally a gravel mine a mile away).

Depending on what grass you are growing,you may not need to water at all.  The grasses we have here go totally dormant in a dry summer.  They look dead, but come back when the fall rains arrive.  Then they grow madly until it gets cold.  No growth in winter, under the snow.  NO grass cutting!  (of course there is snow to clear).

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17598 on: June 03, 2017, 03:39:33 PM »
Mowing every single week?? I'm no lawn doctor but that is crazy...

Where we live, if you don't mow at once a week in the spring and early summer, you're asking for a shaggy yard and a lot more work.  Some weeks at the height of the growing season, I could easily mow twice a week.  This slows down to twice a month in the summer as the rain drops off, then picks up again in the fall to weekly mowings.  In the winter, once a month is usually adequate if you can find a time to mow when it's not wet.

This schedule assumes no sprinklers or artificial irrigation.  If you water, it would be weekly mowing (or more) eight months a year.

Mowing schedule is very much dependent on where you live.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:19:44 PM by Taran Wanderer »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17599 on: June 03, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »
Maybe it's like beards - the more you mow it the more it grows.

I shaved daily for 10 years. Let the thing grow on holiday for 4 weeks. Now I have a 3 day growth that took 7 days to grow.