Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253352 times)

Hunny156

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7950 on: April 28, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »
I was just in the break room at my company and heard a young man talking about how his wedding is going to have a Disney theme. Apparently this is mostly a decorations theme. Different tables will be decorated according to different Disney movie themes. Another young man said his brother did that and they liked it.

Aside from the quote-unquote normal cost of weddings these days, I thought weddings were supposed to be when *adults* got married. I had to restrain myself from a spit take.
It's their wedding...if they like Disney, who cares?

By that logic, why are you even in this thread?  Everyone does what everyone likes and spends how they see fit, and who is anyone to judge anyone else?

I thought this thread was to judge and ridicule bad financial decisions, not 'bad' decoration decisions.

I would classify a disney themed wedding as a bad financial decision worthy of ridicule.  My sister in-law had a disney themed wedding. Massive waste of resources.

I have no idea. I've never been to one or paid for one or even heard of one. All that Candace said was tables would be decorated with themes from different movies. What kind of extra expenses are involved?

For that wedding specifically? I don't know.  Even if it's just character themed decorations at each table and no added expense to the wedding I still find the idea totally ridiculous.

Honestly I find fancy weddings to be ridiculous in general. So there's no argument from me on that, though I do understand some people do like a big fancy dressed up day to celebrate. I just don't see what the type of decoration makes any difference. I am interested to find out what these particular theme decorations cost if anyone else knows. I can imagine some frugal Disney fans doing a good cheap job of theme decorations and having fun with it. Maybe I just (wrongly) tend to give people the benefit of doubt.

If Candace had said different movie theme decorations on each table and it cost $5000 extra then I'd have joined the mob with my pitchfork.

I don't know what "extra" costs are involved on top of the usual silly costs for fancy weddings. I just felt that the Disney theme added an extra level of silliness on top of the usual silliness of fancy and costly weddings. Some folks have said I should leave the folks' taste in decorations alone. I can see that as a valid criticism, and I suppose I was being snarky. However, I thought a certain amount of snarkiness was intrinsic to this thread.

Why did I think it worthy of posting? I guess the Disney theme, for me, reinforces the idea that I have that people think their weddings should play out some kind of fantasy. (It's Disney, for heaven's sake.) Then fantasy idea seems in turn to reinforce the idea that the occasion should cost tons of money. That being said, it's really a question of the bride and groom's taste in themes, and not money. I guess I really shouldn't have posted it.

When I was getting married, my Mom suggested a Disney themed wedding, at Disneyworld.  I considered it - I often felt like Cinderella, lol!  Didn't take long for me to push it aside though.  No alcohol allowed at a Disney wedding, and even back then, they had a ridiculous minimum spend of $15K, something like that.  My plan was to keep it small if we did a destination wedding, and even if I ordered every food option and had every character show up at the reception, I wouldn't come close to that spend amount, due to the small guest list.

So, I totally understood what you were getting at with the Disney themed wedding tables!  I'm sure Disney will have a fool proof way to pad that wedding bill by quite a bit w/their themed stuff, and of course, fulfilling that fantasy that every bride is really just a Disney princess in disguise.  ;)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7951 on: April 28, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »
A co-worker of mine (in his mid 20's who makes just north of $100K) who is up to his eyeballs in debt is taking a road trip from San Diego to Texas then up to Colorado and back down to San Diego. He just bought (financed) a new Prius two months and last month bought (financed) a $3K camera because he wants to make sure he takes good pictures along the way (???). He is telling me about the plans for his trip and I mention that he will have to keep track of his gas mileage with the Prius and report back what he gets. I then learn that he decided not to drive the Prius because he did not want to put on all of the extra miles on the car. He decided to rent a car instead. Not just any car but decides to get a full sized Chevy Tahoe SUV w/ 4-wheel drive (At this point I am thinking WTF?). The rental car alone will cost him $2K just for the rental period. Don't they get like low-to-mid teens in gas mileage??? He is traveling with his wife and 3 year old child. I get that he wants to rent a car but I had to ask why he needed such a large vehicle and why didn't he get something more economical. His reply was that he needed the extra space because of all of the extra stuff they are taking for the child and he wants to take his golf clubs too. I mention that he should have looked at a mini-van if he needed the extra space and it would get better MPG. He looked at me with a shocked look and stated he would never be caught dead driving a mini-van and chuckled when he indicated he wanted to "impress" his well-to-do relatives he was visiting. The next day he mentions that he was out looking for a potable DVD player and mounting hardware for the rental car so his child won't be bored on the trip. I mention that he could easily download some movies onto his tablet that he already owns and that should work fine. He states it was too much trouble. ....Wow.....    He is a nice guy but never gets the poor financial situation he puts himself into. When he gets back I am sure he will be looking for overtime opportunities to pay for the trip when his credit card statements comes in.

My favorite part:

He's going to take terrible pictures.

Seriously, a $3k camera is not something you just pick up and it works perfectly. It's the kind of camera you get if you want to invest serious time into learning how to use it properly. It's kind of like a really expensive sports car - if you don't learn how to use it, you'll just fuck everything up and have a worse experience than driving an econobox. Anyone shooting auto mode will get far better results out of a relatively inexpensive compact... or even an iphone.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7952 on: April 28, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »
I was just in the break room at my company and heard a young man talking about how his wedding is going to have a Disney theme. Apparently this is mostly a decorations theme. Different tables will be decorated according to different Disney movie themes. Another young man said his brother did that and they liked it.

Aside from the quote-unquote normal cost of weddings these days, I thought weddings were supposed to be when *adults* got married. I had to restrain myself from a spit take.

By that logic, why are you even in this thread?  Everyone does what everyone likes and spends how they see fit, and who is anyone to judge anyone else?

I thought this thread was to judge and ridicule bad financial decisions, not 'bad' decoration decisions.

I would classify a disney themed wedding as a bad financial decision worthy of ridicule.  My sister in-law had a disney themed wedding. Massive waste of resources.

You can do a Disney theme cheaply, if you are motivated.  It could cost far less than "regular" wedding decorations.  Send some cells to the laser printer,   get an old oil lamp from a garage sale for .50, etc...

Stop judging people for not being judgemental enough... You've been added to my List of judgement for that.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7953 on: April 28, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »

I've never owned a 55" television, and only upgraded from a full size mattress when my wife and I first moved in together. Who buys this stuff for a kid in elementary school?

A 55" TV hurts my eyes if I'm not halfway across the room from it. I can't imagine this in a kids room.  It must be huge. Of course they do have a queen bed.

I have noticed most of my friends go from crib to full size bed.  They figure they will skip the expense of "toddler bed" and get the bed the kid will take with them to college.  (When I was a kid I had a twin until I was like 8 and then got a full. It did go to college with me.)

Hi, I'm 25 years old, 5'10" 210, and am living with my parents. I sleep on a twin sized bed. I didn't have anything bigger than a twinXL until a sublease during my internship when I had a queen. Then I was sharing a full. Then I had my own full. Then I was sharing a full again.

I'd rank the sleeping arrangements as follows: (KS:King, single sleeping; FD: Full, double sleeping)

KS=QS=FS>TS>KD>>QD>>FD>>>TD. I don't think most people realize that a king is only two twin XL's pushed together. So when I move out, I will settle for a Queen if space doesn't permit a king, but I am trying REALLY hard for a king. And there is no way I'm going back to a full. Ever.
Sleeping alone is one of my least favorite things to do. :P
Ha ha, not me!  Sharing a bed with a snoring husband and occasionally a kicking toddler - it's kind of nice to sleep alone, or on rare occasions, in a king bed on vacation.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7954 on: April 28, 2015, 01:11:12 PM »
A co-worker of mine (in his mid 20's who makes just north of $100K) who is up to his eyeballs in debt is taking a road trip from San Diego to Texas then up to Colorado and back down to San Diego. He just bought (financed) a new Prius two months and last month bought (financed) a $3K camera because he wants to make sure he takes good pictures along the way (???). He is telling me about the plans for his trip and I mention that he will have to keep track of his gas mileage with the Prius and report back what he gets. I then learn that he decided not to drive the Prius because he did not want to put on all of the extra miles on the car. He decided to rent a car instead. Not just any car but decides to get a full sized Chevy Tahoe SUV w/ 4-wheel drive (At this point I am thinking WTF?). The rental car alone will cost him $2K just for the rental period. Don't they get like low-to-mid teens in gas mileage??? He is traveling with his wife and 3 year old child. I get that he wants to rent a car but I had to ask why he needed such a large vehicle and why didn't he get something more economical. His reply was that he needed the extra space because of all of the extra stuff they are taking for the child and he wants to take his golf clubs too. I mention that he should have looked at a mini-van if he needed the extra space and it would get better MPG. He looked at me with a shocked look and stated he would never be caught dead driving a mini-van and chuckled when he indicated he wanted to "impress" his well-to-do relatives he was visiting. The next day he mentions that he was out looking for a potable DVD player and mounting hardware for the rental car so his child won't be bored on the trip. I mention that he could easily download some movies onto his tablet that he already owns and that should work fine. He states it was too much trouble. ....Wow.....    He is a nice guy but never gets the poor financial situation he puts himself into. When he gets back I am sure he will be looking for overtime opportunities to pay for the trip when his credit card statements comes in.

God, that whole thing... The thought processes that go through some people's heads...
It's like watching a train wreck in slow mo

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7955 on: April 28, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »

You can do a Disney theme cheaply, if you are motivated.  It could cost far less than "regular" wedding decorations.  Send some cells to the laser printer,   get an old oil lamp from a garage sale for .50, etc...

Stop judging people for not being judgemental enough... You've been added to my List of judgement for that.

Seriously, some of these comments are just stupid imo. Do you know for a fact that a "Disney themed wedding" is a "bad financial decision?" As opposed to what, getting married at a court house and then going to McDonald's for the reception?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7956 on: April 28, 2015, 01:18:52 PM »
As opposed to what, getting married at a court house and then going to McDonald's for the reception?

Ahhh . . .  young Mustachian love . . . it's a beautiful thing.  Imagine love being the focus of the day, rather than frivolous expenses and fantasies that have been pushed at you by advertisers your whole life.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7957 on: April 28, 2015, 01:25:54 PM »
Seriously, some of these comments are just stupid imo. Do you know for a fact that a "Disney themed wedding" is a "bad financial decision?" As opposed to what, getting married at a court house and then going to McDonald's for the reception?

Yes I do.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7958 on: April 28, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »

I've never owned a 55" television, and only upgraded from a full size mattress when my wife and I first moved in together. Who buys this stuff for a kid in elementary school?

A 55" TV hurts my eyes if I'm not halfway across the room from it. I can't imagine this in a kids room.  It must be huge. Of course they do have a queen bed.

I have noticed most of my friends go from crib to full size bed.  They figure they will skip the expense of "toddler bed" and get the bed the kid will take with them to college.  (When I was a kid I had a twin until I was like 8 and then got a full. It did go to college with me.)

Hi, I'm 25 years old, 5'10" 210, and am living with my parents. I sleep on a twin sized bed. I didn't have anything bigger than a twinXL until a sublease during my internship when I had a queen. Then I was sharing a full. Then I had my own full. Then I was sharing a full again.

I'd rank the sleeping arrangements as follows: (KS:King, single sleeping; FD: Full, double sleeping)

KS=QS=FS>TS>KD>>QD>>FD>>>TD. I don't think most people realize that a king is only two twin XL's pushed together. So when I move out, I will settle for a Queen if space doesn't permit a king, but I am trying REALLY hard for a king. And there is no way I'm going back to a full. Ever.
Ha ha, not me!  Sharing a bed with a snoring husband and occasionally a kicking toddler - it's kind of nice to sleep alone, or on rare occasions, in a king bed on vacation.

I still don't own a 55" TV. My roommate has a 50" TV or something like that in the main room that I use.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7959 on: April 28, 2015, 01:39:47 PM »

I still don't own a 55" TV. My roommate has a 50" TV or something like that in the main room that I use.

I think I've got a 42" (?) TV. It's flat. It's large. It's 4' from the couch. Any larger and you can't see the edges.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7960 on: April 28, 2015, 01:42:40 PM »

I think I've got a 42" (?) TV. It's flat. It's large. It's 4' from the couch. Any larger and you can't see the edges.

Clearly you need to buy a bigger living room.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7961 on: April 28, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »
Clearly you need to buy a bigger living room.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #7962 on: April 28, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »
When it's hung PROPERLY it's MUCH easier to tear off the piece you need with one hand. When he hangs it the other way I need two hands. Totally messes up my efficiency OCD!
So what is that other hand so busy doing that it can't help tear off some TP? ;)

The next day he mentions that he was out looking for a potable DVD player and mounting hardware for the rental car so his child won't be bored on the trip. I mention that he could easily download some movies onto his tablet that he already owns and that should work fine. He states it was too much trouble. ....Wow.....   
How could driving around looking for a portable DVD player and then mounting it in a rental car possibly be less trouble than sitting in your house and downloading movies on a device you already own?  This is just a lazy excuse to purchase something you were eyeing anyways.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7963 on: April 28, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »

I have no idea. I've never been to one or paid for one or even heard of one. All that Candace said was tables would be decorated with themes from different movies. What kind of extra expenses are involved?
Right, From the description it just loks like instead of white they will use Mickey Mouse. Should not be much more expensive (that is, Disney Corp... whatever)
Reall, the theme you use for your wedding (or any other event) is strictly personal choice and as long as it does not cost much more is nothing ridicule.
Please keep in mind that whatever is totally "in" today is hilarious in 30 years. And probably totally in again in 60.

The world would be a lot better if people would pass less judgement. Especially the kind of "what color is this?" or "how can you put #generic star (human) or star (astronomy)# on your wall!?!

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #7964 on: April 28, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
When it's hung PROPERLY it's MUCH easier to tear off the piece you need with one hand. When he hangs it the other way I need two hands. Totally messes up my efficiency OCD!
So what is that other hand so busy doing that it can't help tear off some TP? ;)

The other hand feels entitled and considers itself above such degrading work.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7965 on: April 28, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »

Or maybe holding a sudoku book or phone.  Or does everyone just stare at the wall while doing their business?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7966 on: April 28, 2015, 02:26:49 PM »

Or maybe holding a sudoku book or phone.  Or does everyone just stare at the wall while doing their business?

It's just annoying to have to twist my whole body so that both hands can reach the toilet paper when I know it's so much easier to put the roll on properly and to do it with just one hand. Maybe it's because of a neck injury. More likely it's just efficiency OCD.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7967 on: April 28, 2015, 03:23:43 PM »

A better question is, how the frick long does it take you to poop?  You might need to eat more fruits and vegetables, mate, if you have to bring distractions into the bathroom with you all the time.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #7968 on: April 28, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »
Don't you ever just like to sit on the throne and contemplate?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7969 on: April 28, 2015, 06:30:03 PM »

A better question is, how the frick long does it take you to poop?  You might need to eat more fruits and vegetables, mate, if you have to bring distractions into the bathroom with you all the time.

I figured I should reply to this, seeing as how I'm sitting on the toilet.  It varies from only a few minutes up to maybe 30 minutes.  I poop like 6 times a day, every day.  I eat plenty of fruits and veggies, I just poop a lot.  The drs have no idea what's up.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #7970 on: April 28, 2015, 08:15:02 PM »

I figured I should reply to this, seeing as how I'm sitting on the toilet.  It varies from only a few minutes up to maybe 30 minutes.  I poop like 6 times a day, every day.  I eat plenty of fruits and veggies, I just poop a lot.  The drs have no idea what's up.
Ok we're obviously coming at this with different experiences.  This is TMI, but it's late: I'm only on there EOD and it's doesn't take much longer than a regular pee break, so I guess I just don't have the incentive to really optimize that time.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #7971 on: April 28, 2015, 11:27:44 PM »
I know you can subscribe to a thread by replying to it, but how do you unsubscribe?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7972 on: April 28, 2015, 11:56:47 PM »
I know you can subscribe to a thread by replying to it, but how do you unsubscribe?

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #7973 on: April 29, 2015, 05:14:29 AM »

I have 3 kids. sometimes its the only peace and quiet I get. has to be said that they are much better now they are older...

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7974 on: April 29, 2015, 07:02:09 AM »

Worth trying the Squatty Potty. It works, your mileage may vary.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #7975 on: April 29, 2015, 07:34:59 AM »

When you start measuring it in miles, you know you have a problem.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7976 on: April 29, 2015, 07:40:19 AM »

control + f

type unnotify

click button

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7977 on: April 29, 2015, 07:58:11 AM »

control + f

type unnotify

click button

It still stays in your posts I've replied to, however, no way to change that.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7978 on: April 29, 2015, 08:11:44 AM »

That's not the issue at all.  It's digestive.  Frequent diarrhea and loose stool along with stomach cramps.

I had a conversation with my wife when she was constipated, but I can't relate to her because I don't understand what being constipated is like.  I've never been constipated so i've never experienced that sensation.

And now you all know more about my digestive tract and bathroom habits than you ever wanted to.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #7979 on: April 29, 2015, 08:35:27 AM »

That's not the issue at all.  It's digestive.  Frequent diarrhea and loose stool along with stomach cramps.

I had a conversation with my wife when she was constipated, but I can't relate to her because I don't understand what being constipated is like.  I've never been constipated so i've never experienced that sensation.

And now you all know more about my digestive tract and bathroom habits than you ever wanted to.

Do you have Crohn's or something?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7980 on: April 29, 2015, 08:56:19 AM »

No.  No crohn's, celiacs, allergies, ibs or anything.  I've been to several doctors.  As far as they can tell I am perfectly healthy, I just get stomach cramps and diarrhea a lot.  I have tried various diet changes, and absolutely nothing helps.  Not eating meat, not eating gluten, not eating dairy, not eating sugar, etc has no effect.  There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.  It just flares up bad about twice a week, and nearly daily on a smaller scale.  Half the time there is no cramping, but still frequent pooping. 

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7981 on: April 29, 2015, 09:15:55 AM »

No.  No crohn's, celiacs, allergies, ibs or anything.  I've been to several doctors.  As far as they can tell I am perfectly healthy, I just get stomach cramps and diarrhea a lot.  I have tried various diet changes, and absolutely nothing helps.  Not eating meat, not eating gluten, not eating dairy, not eating sugar, etc has no effect.  There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.  It just flares up bad about twice a week, and nearly daily on a smaller scale.  Half the time there is no cramping, but still frequent pooping.

Same here! It's "idiopathic" meaning they don't know why (they've ruled everything out) and since it apparently isn't serious they don't really care. The only thing that stops it for me is immodium, if you care to feel what constipation is like.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7982 on: April 29, 2015, 09:25:14 AM »

Same here! It's "idiopathic" meaning they don't know why (they've ruled everything out) and since it apparently isn't serious they don't really care. The only thing that stops it for me is immodium, if you care to feel what constipation is like.

I take immodium on a near daily basis.  I get it at costco. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7983 on: April 29, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
Someone told me today that his wife's car's water pump failed, so they went out and bought a new Jeep Cherokee.  I told him 'well, that's an expensive fix..'

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7984 on: April 29, 2015, 10:06:19 AM »
Someone told me today that his wife's car's water pump failed, so they went out and bought a new Jeep Cherokee.  I told him 'well, that's an expensive fix..'

My husband likes to tell people I bought a new car because I didn't want to change the windshield wipers. 

Which is kind of true, but it was more of a "if I get the new car now instead of later I won't have to do this."  I had been talking about replacing the car for 3 years already.  It was a straw that broke the camels back sort of thing.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7985 on: April 29, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »

This is what I always thought.  I never understood why it takes my spouse SO LONG in the bathroom. I still don't!  I have to remind him that he needs to ask everyone if they need to use the bathroom before he goes in there.

In any event, it's the only room with a lock, so the only place you can get privacy, usually.  But still, there's only one bathroom in our house - get in, get out, move on!  (He gets plenty of fiber).

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7986 on: April 29, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »

I'm 5'11" and 210 myself. I've never had more than a twin when I wasn't sharing with someone, and I still don't see the point. Always been quite comfy.
Never felt the need for more than a queen with two people, either.
Not even with a cat and a dog.

Makes me wonder what all you perverts are doing with those big fancy king-size beds.... ;)

My husband is 6'4" and used to flail in his sleep. It was rough in a full, but after several years in a queen he's stopped flailing, so it works for us, except when the cats decide to take up a third of the bed.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7987 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:08 AM »

I'm 5'11" and 210 myself. I've never had more than a twin when I wasn't sharing with someone, and I still don't see the point. Always been quite comfy.

Makes me wonder what all you perverts are doing with those big fancy king-size beds.... ;)

My husband is 6'4" and used to flail in his sleep. It was rough in a full, but after several years in a queen he's stopped flailing, so it works for us, except when the cats decide to take up a third of the bed.

being 6 4 i cant beleive you slept together in a full i dont fit in a full.  a queen just puts you closer together than a king and is the same length we have a king i like the space b/c i get hot and dont want someone else on top of me... why does weight matter here.  if you're grossly over weight that is just as unmustacian as having CC debt. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7988 on: April 29, 2015, 11:21:27 AM »

When you start measuring it in miles, you know you have a problem.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7989 on: April 29, 2015, 12:28:30 PM »

This is what I always thought.  I never understood why it takes my spouse SO LONG in the bathroom. I still don't!  I have to remind him that he needs to ask everyone if they need to use the bathroom before he goes in there.

In any event, it's the only room with a lock, so the only place you can get privacy, usually.  But still, there's only one bathroom in our house - get in, get out, move on!  (He gets plenty of fiber).

I've noticed that in my experience, men tend to take much, much longer in the bathroom than women.  Can't figure it out.  Every woman I know is, "Get in, do your business, get out."  I've often wondered if men in general have more digestive/intestinal problems than women.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7990 on: April 29, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »

I have 3 kids. sometimes its the only peace and quiet I get. has to be said that they are much better now they are older...

With my kid, bathroom time for mommy = screaming on the other side of the door time for the kiddo.  Lots of incentive to make my trips to the bathroom as short as possible.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7991 on: April 29, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »

I had a twin until I went to grad school. makes it pretty cozy for sleepovers in college, but hopefully you like the person so that's fine, LOL. I got a full after college and had that until literally a month ago (and my boyfriend and I have been living together for 3 years). we actually both were totally fine with the full, but the mattress was a piece of shit and hurting our backs so we figured we might as well get one that's a little bigger while we're at it. we're not huge but we're not super tiny (5'8" and 6'0", pretty average width-wise, but neither of us are flailers).

I am dumbfounded by people who buy their kid anything bigger than a twin. my parents bought my sister a full in high school and I was stunned! it takes up so much space, plus it's total hedonic adaptation. let them buy that shit themselves when they're out of college and have a real job! LOL.

I've noticed that in my experience, men tend to take much, much longer in the bathroom than women.  Can't figure it out.  Every woman I know is, "Get in, do your business, get out."  I've often wondered if men in general have more digestive/intestinal problems than women.

I've noticed the same and have also wondered this! I realize it's totally normal for people to read/use their phone in the bathroom, but I have NEVER needed to do this. just a fast pooper I guess?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7992 on: April 29, 2015, 03:21:55 PM »

I only get a king in hotels....

Been sharing a queen with my wife for 19 years, though recently having the too frequent addition of a toddler. A kicking toddler.

Hell, in college we shared a twin!

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7993 on: April 29, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
My partner and I are tallish people of normal build. We share queen, even though we tend to be spooners. Where else would the pitbulls sleep, in the floor like some kind of animal??

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7994 on: April 29, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »
My partner and I are tallish people of normal build. We share queen, even though we tend to be spooners. Where else would the pitbulls sleep, in the floor like some kind of animal??

Don't be silly! Everybody knows the dog(s) get their 90% of the bed and the human(s) hang on to the fitted sheet to stay on... I probably shouldn't know that you can fit one fat chick and two border collies on a twin size aero bed, as long as the human stays firmly in their "lightning strike" zig-zag position with one dog behind the knees, and one in front of the chest like a demented % sign.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7995 on: April 29, 2015, 07:18:47 PM »

It's enjoyable.  Why would I rush it?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7996 on: April 29, 2015, 08:15:43 PM »
It's because it's the one place we can be alone without someone trying to talk to us. Take a phone, get comfortable.

We take far less time in social settings, though. We don't hold everyone up for 5 minutes...

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7997 on: April 29, 2015, 08:23:13 PM »
I never understood why people spent a lot of time on the throne either, I was a 'sit down, go, clean up, done', 2-3 minutes tops.  If I didn't have to go right away, why sit there and wait for it to happen?  Just wait till it's ready before even going into the bathroom, right?  Then I got a smartphone and started wasting time on the pot at work.  After sitting there for a few minutes after I was done I went 'oh hey what's this, there's more'.  If you sit there a bit, you'll get some more moving through that you didn't know was there.  I don't know if this is what everyone is doing, but it's become routine for me now.

And with that I have to say I think this is as far off topic as we can go, I think we've hit a new level...

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #7998 on: April 29, 2015, 08:52:44 PM »
Discussing a mutual friend, I learned this gem.

Spouse 1 travels on a toll road to and from work, and so had a monthly EZ Pass which was set up for payment on a parent's cc.  Parent cancelled cc and unbeknownst (?) to S1 the EZ Pass expired, so they continued to travel on the toll road with and expired pass. So far, it's not great, but within the realm of comprehension. However, when notices of tolls due began arriving at the house S1 just ignored them/threw them away unopened.  This went on for nearly a year.

Spouse 2 finally notices the multiple letters from the traffic authority, and opens one to discover that S1 has amassed $12000 in unpaid tolls and non-payment fines.  At this point I had to pause and ask if I had misheard that number (I mean $1200 would be bad enough). Things were getting to the point of collections and warrants.

Even crazier, rather than being contrite, S1 was livid that S2 had opened mail addressed to S1. They are getting it paid, but this has used funds they were supposedly saving for a house.  I don't see it ending well, long term.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7999 on: April 29, 2015, 10:59:48 PM »
What kind of situation or state of mind would you have to be in NOT to open mail like that?