Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253147 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19650 on: February 23, 2018, 07:31:16 AM »
Oh yeah - I get it. When I was younger I would have been happy sleeping on a rock. As I've gotten older, a cot or better is welcome.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19651 on: February 24, 2018, 05:57:29 AM »
Coworker was arguing over the phone with his 18-year-old son today. Apparently, he felt that $70,000 was a reasonable amount for a new car, and the son thought there was no way he could get a decent car with so little money. Oh, and son lives on campus in college.

I bit my tongue and didn’t mention the $7,000 used car I drove in college with its moon roof, leather seats, and specialty rims.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19652 on: February 24, 2018, 06:30:51 AM »
Coworker was arguing over the phone with his 18-year-old son today. Apparently, he felt that $70,000 was a reasonable amount for a new car, and the son thought there was no way he could get a decent car with so little money. Oh, and son lives on campus in college.

I bit my tongue and didn’t mention the $7,000 used car I drove in college with its moon roof, leather seats, and specialty rims.

Wow.  $70k?

You must have a great job.  :) 

I honestly feel sorry for kids like that.  He is only 20 and his perspective is so warped.  This will make his life more difficult later. 

I know other people who have high income parents that don't act like this, so the parents encourage this type of behavior / thinking. 

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19653 on: February 24, 2018, 06:51:21 AM »
I love the word "glamping". Some brag using the word. Some tease about the bragging that other people do about glamping. Still either way - it is the perfect word.

*googles the word "Glamping" * What the F.

Why do they even bother

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19654 on: February 24, 2018, 06:53:19 AM »

Wut, I can't even. Like, I though tcars over 70k were like, Tessla's and Speciaty Rare Sports Cars. Most cars in existence don't fall into this category so how can one even think this.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #19655 on: February 24, 2018, 07:21:52 AM »

...I'm driving a $4500 car right now and I'm 10 years out of college.  My college car cost $200 and required a head gasket replacement.

That kid needs a panther chassis Crown Vic.  Dead reliable, can be had dirt cheap, and will maybe give them a little perspective.
I love the word "glamping". Some brag using the word. Some tease about the bragging that other people do about glamping. Still either way - it is the perfect word.

Why do they even bother
Social aspects mainly.  My mom has a coworker that has a 40+ foot camper that is permanently parked at a campground.  From what I can gather they don't actually enjoy camping, they just like getting together with their neighbors out there.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19656 on: February 24, 2018, 11:45:26 AM »
Just like the houseboat folks here I've heard about. Seldom if ever take the boat out, mostly just sit on the boat, eat/drink and visit with anyone that comes by.

I guess some of us like to get away from humanity while others want to be part of a tribe of some sort.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19657 on: February 24, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »

Why do they even bother
I think it depends on what you mean by "glamping".

For some, having a camper, fifth wheel, something you tow, is "glamping", whether it be a $5k thing or a $1M luxury RV or bus.

For others, "glamping" is camping in a cabin or tent-walled cabin, with beds and such.

Heck, our YMCA has family camping trips at a YMCA camp - food is included, but you can choose a cabin, a tent cabin, or bring your own tent.

I have a sister with a camper.  She and her husband and dogs camp a LOT in it and to me, it's luxurious.  Then again it felt luxurious to me when I upgraded to a cot.  I'm too old to sleep on the ground.

ETA: campers and such give you more flexibility.  You can camp when it's colder, so have a greater range of use. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:00:25 PM by mm1970 »

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #19658 on: February 24, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »
I think satellite TV is where I draw the line.  That's just me though.

BayAreaFrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19659 on: February 24, 2018, 02:56:39 PM »

$70,000?!?!?!? I still kick myself every now and then for having purchased a brand new car for $24k several years back.

PKate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19660 on: February 24, 2018, 03:14:43 PM »
Wow, so much hate on pick up trucks...who knew?

If you have the money, want it and can afford, it so be it! If you don't want it, can't afford it or don't have the money don't buy it.

That is why we have choices. Big cars, small cars, big trucks, little trucks, mini vans, trailers and push carts and little red wagons. Something for everyone.

I have no hate for pickups. The reason I don't own one is the same reason I have a hammer and not a jackhammer.  I have needed both a truck and a jackhammer in the past, but I will never buy either.  If your job requires you to break up concrete, or you just love doing it, I would agree a jackhammer makes sense.  If you are just going to lean on your jackhammer in the sun to show off your burliness to the ladies, then no.

Brb buying a jackhammer

hmm. Burly.

Please bring your jackhammer and your muscles over to my house this spring/summer/fall. I have some concrete I need removed. ;)

We rent a jackhammer when we need one (yes, this has happened), but the 4WD pickup truck gets regular use, nearly weekly doing something no van and trailer or delivery company can do (when we get lumber delivered, the lumber yard comes in their 4WD pickup because the regular delivery vehicle won't make it to our place).

A real mustachian would've used a jewelers hammer and chisel.

Most jewelers would be pissed if you used one of their hammers on a chisel.  Good hammers are not cheap and jewelers don't use them on chisels. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19661 on: February 24, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »
We did glamping once with a walled tent cabin thingie with two luxurious cots and electricity. Still had the communal camping bathrooms that necessitated a midnight walk across the grounds. Since I was rather pregnant at the time I did that trip a number of times a night. :)
As a kid we had a tent trailer that we used pretty frequently and I had a ton of fun with that. I could see myself renting a tent trailer to use with my family now. When we were pre kids I loved backpacking but with a baby now the logistics are more complicated.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19662 on: February 24, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
I did the glamping thing - pretty white tent, proper mattress, fairy lights - at an event in France.

I flew to Europe with a backpack, I wasn't hauling a tent too.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19663 on: February 25, 2018, 08:02:27 AM »

If you have the money, want it and can afford, it so be it! If you don't want it, can't afford it or don't have the money don't buy it.

That is why we have choices. Big cars, small cars, big trucks, little trucks, mini vans, trailers and push carts and little red wagons. Something for everyone.

What the fuck forum you think this is???

I always thought  it was absolutely hilarious when I went to Home Depot in my '95 Saturn. I could fit 10' long lumber in that thing and still close the trunk!. If I did a lesser load - say a dozen 8-foot 2x4s, I would only put one side of the back seat down and not even fold the front passenger seat. I typically be surrounded by all these oversized trucks (with huge cabs and short beds) spending 5x as long loading to strap down lesser loads while still projecting several feet over the end of the bed.

Personal best was probably 5 sheets of plywood (admittedly cut into thirds) - with the trunk closed.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19664 on: February 25, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »

What the fuck forum you think this is???

I always thought  it was absolutely hilarious when I went to Home Depot in my '95 Saturn. I could fit 10' long lumber in that thing and still close the trunk!. If I did a lesser load - say a dozen 8-foot 2x4s, I would only put one side of the back seat down and not even fold the front passenger seat. I typically be surrounded by all these oversized trucks (with huge cabs and short beds) spending 5x as long loading to strap down lesser loads while still projecting several feet over the end of the bed.

Personal best was probably 5 sheets of plywood (admittedly cut into thirds) - with the trunk closed.
Very nice!  My favorite truck-like accomplishments in non-trucks are probably when I packed a giant 13ft long roll of laminate floor into a Hyundai Accent, or when I loaded 600 square feet of sod into the back of a Buick Roadmaster station wagon (definitely overloaded the suspension on that one; the back made an awful scraping sound as I pulled up into my driveway).

Chadbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19665 on: February 25, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »
Very nice!  My favorite truck-like accomplishments in non-trucks are probably when I packed a giant 13ft long roll of laminate floor into a Hyundai Accent, or when I loaded 600 square feet of sod into the back of a Buick Roadmaster station wagon (definitely overloaded the suspension on that one; the back made an awful scraping sound as I pulled up into my driveway).
I once put a face cord of split firewood in the back of my '91 Metro (back seat remove). Definitely overloaded, the muffler fell off, over two years later, still no muffler.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #19666 on: February 25, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »

Our personal best was an IKEA queen sized bed and two dressers in our chevy aveo. Hubby wasn't a huge fan (as we had that baby loaded down), but we made it home and put it all together in a weekend.

To try to pull this thread back on topic, it started snowing one day last week while I was at work. A coworker called in saying she wasn't going to drive in the snow, because she still owed $25k on her car and didn't want to wreck it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19667 on: February 25, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »

To try to pull this thread back on topic, it started snowing one day last week while I was at work. A coworker called in saying she wasn't going to drive in the snow, because she still owed $25k on her car and didn't want to wreck it.

I guess after paying for the car she has no money left for snow winter tires?

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19668 on: February 26, 2018, 08:18:06 AM »
Most jewelers would be pissed if you used one of their hammers on a chisel.  Good hammers are not cheap and jewelers don't use them on chisels.

And a poster of Rita Hayworth
Rita, despite her many talents, cannot do much to remove 3 inches of bedrock so you can have a level house foundation (the jackhammer application we had). Posters of Rita Hayworth are excellent for classing up the joint later. Proper tool for each task - that's Mustachian.

Too many people on this forum don't have Shawshank Redemption memorized.  I count 2 so far, and that is way too many. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19669 on: February 26, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »
Scandalous

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19670 on: February 26, 2018, 02:12:42 PM »
My direct report didn't come into work because he didn't have snow tires. He did have money to go party it up in Montreal the weekend before.

CrabbitDutchie

• Stubble
« Reply #19671 on: February 26, 2018, 02:55:35 PM »
My direct report didn't come into work because he didn't have snow tires. He did have money to go party it up in Montreal the weekend before.

Hey, now that I work for a company where working from home on a snow day isn't too frowned upon I damn well stay at home (worked out that heating the place to a bearable temperature is cheaper than the commute). I too don't want to wreck my car and don't have winter tyres.

The car is a 2005 Renault Clio with 115K miles on the clock and about £500 resale value. A new beater would cost at least double that! As for the winter tyres, the winters here aren't too bad on the whole - 2 inches is considered a lot of snow, but then the summers aren't warm either. Next set of tyres are going to be winter tyres (in about 10k miles I reckon) and we'll just leave them on all year round.

When the person who lives a 30 min walk away can't make it in because they're 'stuck in the snow' however...... :/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:04:28 PM by CrabbitDutchie »

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19672 on: February 26, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »

I disagree with these "idiot without snow tires didn't want to come to work" comments.  If I crash my car, is my company going to buy me a new one?

It's better for people who are not emergency personnel to stay off the roads during inclement weather so that emergency vehicles and people with critically important jobs can get where they need to go and everyone stays safe.  Your co-workers / employees are being responsible.

As long as I'm on my soapbox, people should also not come to work sick.  It's gross. 

Anyways, isn't this blog supposed to be all about NOT working?  :)

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #19673 on: February 26, 2018, 08:07:39 PM »

I disagree with these "idiot without snow tires didn't want to come to work" comments.  If I crash my car, is my company going to buy me a new one?

It's better for people who are not emergency personnel to stay off the roads during inclement weather so that emergency vehicles and people with critically important jobs can get where they need to go and everyone stays safe.  Your co-workers / employees are being responsible.

As long as I'm on my soapbox, people should also not come to work sick.  It's gross. 

Anyways, isn't this blog supposed to be all about NOT working?  :)

It was a situation where those around me would not consider it serious-enough-to-call-out snow.

Since I have little snow driving experience, I tend to not judge those who go "nah, I'm not gonna", but this was more she didn't want to come/was looking for an excuse and just blaming the snow. Her bringing up how much she owed on her car though as part of the reason just seemed kinda silly to me.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19674 on: February 27, 2018, 01:49:54 AM »

No, you company is not going to buy you a new one, as it does not when ther eis no snow. I don't see the difference.

And if you think people that are "not necessary" could stay at home just because there is a bit of snow, then you are probably not living anywhere where there is snow in any meaningful amounts.

Also no, this is not about not working. Quite contrary MMM would probably say, you should work daily!
But you should make sure ASAP that you don't need to work for money.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:51:27 AM by LennStar »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19675 on: February 27, 2018, 06:04:47 AM »

$70,000?!?!?!? I still kick myself every now and then for having purchased a brand new car for $24k several years back.
Well I'm not going to stop you! :-)
 I paid $11,000 for our pickup truck back in 2000, it was a '97'. (back when $11,000 was a lot of money)
I stopped kicking myself in 2013, figuring after 13 years I paid my dues, and I'm still driving it everyday.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19676 on: February 27, 2018, 07:06:15 AM »
There's a difference between looking, feeling, and actually being sick.  I have allergies, there's only a handful of work days a year I don't sneeze, which makes it difficult to figure out if I actually have a cold.

On the other hand, I'm having health problems where I'm actually sick more days that I'm given paid time off for, so I've been using leave without pay.  I've just been warned that if I keep my current rate of LWOP, I'll lose benefits.  So I'm definitely going to work next time I get sick and feel up to working.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19677 on: February 27, 2018, 08:29:45 AM »
There's a difference between looking, feeling, and actually being sick.  I have allergies, there's only a handful of work days a year I don't sneeze, which makes it difficult to figure out if I actually have a cold.

On the other hand, I'm having health problems where I'm actually sick more days that I'm given paid time off for, so I've been using leave without pay.  I've just been warned that if I keep my current rate of LWOP, I'll lose benefits.  So I'm definitely going to work next time I get sick and feel up to working.

Coworker wasn't feeling well Friday, came in Monday obviously still sick. He's here today, looking better. If I get whatever he had....

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19678 on: February 27, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
AnnaD
I could write a book with stories like this. I think my favorite was the employee that came into my office and spent 10 minutes telling me a tale of woe about their financial situation. Finally he said the bottom line was he needed to take out a 401k loan. My response was "you never signed up for the 401k plan!"

OMG I shouldn't laugh but I couldn't help it.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19679 on: February 27, 2018, 11:42:22 AM »

No, you company is not going to buy you a new one, as it does not when ther eis no snow. I don't see the difference.

And if you think people that are "not necessary" could stay at home just because there is a bit of snow, then you are probably not living anywhere where there is snow in any meaningful amounts.

Also no, this is not about not working. Quite contrary MMM would probably say, you should work daily!
But you should make sure ASAP that you don't need to work for money.

6 months off a year? Sign me up! /s

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19680 on: February 27, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »
This isn't strictly finance related...

A colleague of mine has a daughter in Year 4, and all my colleague has talked about since school started back is where her daughter will go to high school. In 2021.

She is going to high school open nights then coming to work and talking about them in excruciating detail.

Maybe her daughter should go to a selective school. Or a sports high school. Or a creative arts school. Or a performing arts school. Or a mainstream school with a selective stream. Or a mainstream school with an enrichment stream. Or a mainstream school with a gifted and talented program.

It can be Catholic but not with a tunic or kilt for a uniform because her daughter won't wear it. And it can't be the same school that a certain friend of her daughter is attending.

And it must have the right facilities. And lots of playgrounds and lawns. But the fees can't be too much. And it must be close to home because they'll need to drive her, because couldn't possibly catch public transport.

The daughter is prone to anxiety and is already telling her mother that she doesn't want to go to high school. It's three years away!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #19681 on: February 27, 2018, 02:09:03 PM »

A colleague of mine has a daughter in Year 4, and all my colleague has talked about since school started back is where her daughter will go to high school. In 2021.

She is going to high school open nights then coming to work and talking about them in excruciating detail.

Maybe her daughter should go to a selective school. Or a sports high school. Or a creative arts school. Or a performing arts school. Or a mainstream school with a selective stream. Or a mainstream school with an enrichment stream. Or a mainstream school with a gifted and talented program.

It can be Catholic but not with a tunic or kilt for a uniform because her daughter won't wear it. And it can't be the same school that a certain friend of her daughter is attending.

And it must have the right facilities. And lots of playgrounds and lawns. But the fees can't be too much. And it must be close to home because they'll need to drive her, because couldn't possibly catch public transport.

The daughter is prone to anxiety and is already telling her mother that she doesn't want to go to high school. It's three years away!

I was going to really laugh until I translated that your Year 4 does not mean 4 years old....I think the mom is at least being proactive in looking at schools 3 years away because in 1 1/2 years they will have the applications due for those schools.  The private school application thing is crazy....

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19682 on: February 27, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »

Hearing even 3rd hand about the parent talking about high school so much gives ME anxiety.  I don't blame her.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #19683 on: February 27, 2018, 03:13:18 PM »

In her defense, my son is in year 4 and I have been thinking about high school since he was in junior kindy.  Pre MMM of course. I'm still horrified at the thought of sending him to the public high school we are zoned for. I saw one of the schools we're considering for him has an open day this week. Hubby is busy with work so I said "oh well. They'll have another one". He'll need to be enrolled sometime next year though. Our area has a bit of excess capacity so it's not too urgent. I've heard some schools in some areas have waiting lists from birth!  I don't talk about it with my son yet though nor I talk about it in general unless someone brings it up first. If she talks to her daughter like that is not surprising she has anxiety. Poor girl.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19684 on: February 27, 2018, 03:31:39 PM »

In her defense, my son is in year 4 and I have been thinking about high school since he was in junior kindy.  Pre MMM of course. I'm still horrified at the thought of sending him to the public high school we are zoned for. I saw one of the schools we're considering for him has an open day this week. Hubby is busy with work so I said "oh well. They'll have another one". He'll need to be enrolled sometime next year though. Our area has a bit of excess capacity so it's not too urgent. I've heard some schools in some areas have waiting lists from birth!  I don't talk about it with my son yet though nor I talk about it in general unless someone brings it up first. If she talks to her daughter like that is not surprising she has anxiety. Poor girl.

It's not so much the "thinking about high school already" that bugs me, it's talking about these selective schools as if her daughter genuinely has a shot at all of them.

The daughter doesn't play rep sport. She doesn't do drama or dance in or out of school.

She draws a bit and her grades are ok (not amazing).

I think my colleague should be looking at what suits her daughter's abilities, not what suits her fantasy of having a child at a selective school.

(And yes, all the ranking and comparing of schools is happening in front of the daughter as well. She's already taking the daughter to open days.)

channtheman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19685 on: February 28, 2018, 02:11:35 AM »
WOW!  I finally made it to the end!  After many months of reading, I've read just about every post in this thread (I skipped some political and gun stuff, and a few other odd foam posts that got too long for me to care here and there). 

Our personal best was an IKEA queen sized bed and two dressers in our chevy aveo. Hubby wasn't a huge fan (as we had that baby loaded down), but we made it home and put it all together in a weekend.

I've hauled so much stuff home from IKEA or Lowe's/Home Depot by putting the top down on my Mustang convertible.  Get a few funny looks sometimes, but it works pretty well. 

I don't have any on topic stories to share that I can think of right now, but now that this topic will forever be in my "new replies to your posts" list, I'll post them when I overhear them.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19686 on: February 28, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
But - but - but - the coolness factor! You can't drive a small car and haul a bunch of stuff home and be cool like the big p/u dudes!

You can't load up a top-down convertible with renovation supplies and be cool....

Geez, people.... Get your priorities straight! ;)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19687 on: February 28, 2018, 09:49:10 AM »
I felt pretty damn cool filling up my hatchback to the brim with Ikea stuff, boxes hanging off the back bumper. The only bummer was having to drive slowly to get home because the back door didn’t close. We must have different ideas of what it means to be bad-assed. ;-)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19688 on: February 28, 2018, 09:49:42 AM »
I felt pretty damn cool filling up my hatchback to the brim with Ikea stuff, boxes hanging off the back bumper. The only bummer was having to drive slowly to get home because the back door didn’t close. We must have different ideas of what it means to be bad-assed. ;-)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19689 on: February 28, 2018, 09:51:21 AM »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19690 on: February 28, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
GD Tapatalk and its bugginess.... sorry for the multiple posts. It isn’t letting me delete the extras today.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19691 on: February 28, 2018, 10:32:21 AM »
Just gonna drop this here...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19692 on: February 28, 2018, 05:25:42 PM »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19693 on: March 01, 2018, 01:52:18 AM »
A colleague orders Uber Eats a lot for her family.

Today she told me that even when her husband and kids are out with activities, she will order Uber Eats for dinner just for herself. $25+ a pop.

Have toast. Make a sandwich. Boil an egg. Eat cereal. Make a salad. Eat a Lean Cuisine. Or, you know, cook a meal!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19694 on: March 01, 2018, 03:14:57 AM »

Today she told me that even when her husband and kids are out with activities, she will order Uber Eats for dinner just for herself. $25+ a pop.

Have toast. Make a sandwich. Boil an egg. Eat cereal. Make a salad. Eat a Lean Cuisine. Or, you know, cook a meal!

I will never get that. We never order food for dinner because it just takes so much longer than making something yourself. Even if the best I can do is put a frozen pizza in the oven (which happens about once a month) it's still so much more convenient than ordering a pizza.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19695 on: March 01, 2018, 03:32:06 AM »
Ordered ubereats today because Amex gives me $15 free a month.  Even if I wanted to order in, I can ’t imagine paying a $5 delivery fee when I can pick up myself in 5 min.  Seriously considering becoming an ubereats driver to pick up my own orders

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19696 on: March 01, 2018, 05:07:27 AM »
I will never get that. We never order food for dinner because it just takes so much longer than making something yourself. Even if the best I can do is put a frozen pizza in the oven (which happens about once a month) it's still so much more convenient than ordering a pizza.

I totally agree. We can either make food within half an hour or find a leftover portion in the freezer to warm up. Any alternative to get pizza or whatever delivered up on the steep hill to our house would take more time and drama. Driving to the nearest restaurant would also take a lot more time.

But I remember, in the past, we used to live very close to a shopping center. It was convenient to walk over and buy take-away french fries to go with the rest of the food that we prepared at home. That only took 5-10 minutes, depending on how many other customers. So I can imagine that it in some cases can be fast to order food, depending on how central you live.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19697 on: March 01, 2018, 06:22:09 AM »

I feel the same. Just finding a restaurant I want to order from and choosing a dish takes me longer than making my simple default meal of pasta pesto. 8 min boiling pasta + 30 sec of mixing pesto through it and there's my dinner for tonight :)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19698 on: March 01, 2018, 08:10:50 AM »

I totally agree. We can either make food within half an hour or find a leftover portion in the freezer to warm up. Any alternative to get pizza or whatever delivered up on the steep hill to our house would take more time and drama. Driving to the nearest restaurant would also take a lot more time.

But I remember, in the past, we used to live very close to a shopping center. It was convenient to walk over and buy take-away french fries to go with the rest of the food that we prepared at home. That only took 5-10 minutes, depending on how many other customers. So I can imagine that it in some cases can be fast to order food, depending on how central you live.

Chips are one of the major reasons I ever eat out. The other major food reason is pizza, which I am slowly learning to make myself. But I'm happy to eat out with friends from time to time (as opposed to inviting them over) if only to eat chips and ketchup in unreasonable quantities.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19699 on: March 01, 2018, 08:20:35 AM »
I had a moment there and then figured it out. Regional language differences. :-)
Chips= deep fried potato wedges, not deep fried triangles of corn tortilla.

Can’t you get them in the frozen section of the grocery store and then cook them in the oven?