Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253121 times)

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3200 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:22 PM »
Today my CW who recently moved closer to work said "Riding your bike two miles to work is a waste."

He formerly rode his bike to work when it was 8 miles. He drives his SUV to work, now. That isn't a waste at all.

It actually makes some sense, perhaps you just did not understand the whole context of his statement, or didn't quote it verbatim? If he was riding 8 miles before, that likely meant he was wearing "cycling clothes" and then changing once he got to the office. He might have the "I must wear appropriate clothes when I ride my bike" idea in his head, and thus, if he's only riding 2 miles, then it's definitely "a waste" of time to do the whole biking thing, which involves changing at both ends. And if he thinks of it as his exercise for the day, than 2 miles is "a waste" since it's not far enough to get your heart rate up.

I sorta felt that way when my bike commute switched from 9 miles to 3.5 miles. And sure, if you want more miles, you could just loop out of your way on your commute, but psychologically, that's somehow difficult to do. I guess there's just something about a 6-10 mile commute that feels about "perfect": it hits the sweet spot in terms of working good exercise into your day and optimizing your use of time. So when you reduce that things just seem less optimal.
I think that may have been what he was thinking. The funny part is I live about a mile from work and so I walk. Our office moving in a month so I will end up being about 2 miles from work. We were actually talking about my plans to find a bike so I can be lazy and ride my bike to work instead.

2 miles is too far for me and my poor unmustachian legs and I end up being able to loop over to my gym after work without going home.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3201 on: July 11, 2014, 07:18:45 AM »
Yep I would have trouble not be a bike/exercise snob about riding 2 miles to work, is just not worth putting the gear on.  Maybe still worth riding on a comfort bike in civvies and not calling it exercise, but then you have to get home get off your bike then change into proper riding close and go ride more... Sort of get it but is sort of just lazy...   I would however definitely try running as a commute, could be a lot of good base miles there, or you know just walk rather than drive...

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #3202 on: July 11, 2014, 08:57:56 AM »
Call me a non-sporting, underperforming plebian, but a 2 mile bike ride where you don't have to shower afterwards sounds great.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3203 on: July 11, 2014, 09:09:57 AM »
Call me a non-sporting, underperforming plebian, but a 2 mile bike ride where you don't have to shower afterwards sounds great.

hahaha I know! I have a one-mile commute and I bike about as often as I walk. when I go to yoga before work I don't feel safe walking alone in the dark that early, and when it's super hot out I sweat a lot less biking at a leisurely pace vs. walking briskly. (I really don't know how to walk non-briskly, I feel like that's a Southern skill...) I love being able to bike in my work clothes! maybe it would be different if biking were also my primary form of exercise, but I don't really ever bike for exercise, I'm a runner.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3204 on: July 11, 2014, 10:02:35 AM »

These are my intentions in about a month.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #3205 on: July 11, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »
One of my co-workers just bought a brand new BMW because his old one had turned 3 years old. (Apparently that's very old in car years.) He explained that it was the frugal thing to do because he didn't buy the one he wanted ($120,000) but paid just under $50,000 and they gave him $25,000 for his trade-in. Plus he has a full warranty on the new car. All in all, it was practically free, he said.

Then he explained that having a nice car was critical to advance in his career. What career requires a fancy car, you ask? Salesman, perhaps? No, programmer. Everyone knows that programmers are evaluated on the quality of their leather seats, right?

This is a person who told me earlier that he would never be able to retire because his children used up every dollar he earned. I am beginning to suspect that the problem for many people with children is not actually the children.

Uh oh, you reminded me of my past coworker. I had a silver honda accord that was only a few years old. One day he comes in with the same exact car... But it was black. I honestly thought he had it painted. Was so confused when he told me he traded his old car for the same car but in a different color. Lol

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #3206 on: July 11, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Was at lunch with some folks who work at the same base I do - though not with me directly.  Rode in one of the ladies large/new SUV.  She made some comment about the benefits of having a new baby because "Momma's gotta get a new car".  (New car to go with the new baby?  I didn't get it then and still don't).

We own a 2005 Toyota Corolla.  I've had dozens of coworkers and family members comment on our vehicle situation now that we have a baby.

"You're going to need a minivan!" - ?
"You'll need a second car!" - We haven't needed a second car for the past eight years

"You can't possibly fit all three of you in that little car" - It's got five seats.
"Small cars aren't safe to drive kids around in" - So maybe you should drive less with your kid to increase safety?
"How will you fit giant strollers in your little car?" - Why do I need a giant stroller?

I usually just glare at them until they stop, but seriously . . . wtf?

Two adults, two adolescents, and a cello will comfortably fit in a 2002 Corolla.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3207 on: July 12, 2014, 01:13:09 AM »
Was at lunch with some folks who work at the same base I do - though not with me directly.  Rode in one of the ladies large/new SUV.  She made some comment about the benefits of having a new baby because "Momma's gotta get a new car".  (New car to go with the new baby?  I didn't get it then and still don't).

We own a 2005 Toyota Corolla.  I've had dozens of coworkers and family members comment on our vehicle situation now that we have a baby.

"You're going to need a minivan!" - ?
"You'll need a second car!" - We haven't needed a second car for the past eight years

"You can't possibly fit all three of you in that little car" - It's got five seats.
"Small cars aren't safe to drive kids around in" - So maybe you should drive less with your kid to increase safety?
"How will you fit giant strollers in your little car?" - Why do I need a giant stroller?

I usually just glare at them until they stop, but seriously . . . wtf?

Two adults, two adolescents, and a cello will comfortably fit in a 2002 Corolla.

Occasionally I will make a smart ass remark about the only thing I own that is big enough to require a bigger vehicle is my bank account.  I have also been called an asshole….

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #3208 on: July 12, 2014, 03:19:36 AM »
I'm teaching English at an international school in Hanoi, Vietnam. Right now we're in summer school, teaching 15 hours per week. For this, we earn $1200 per month. I've been happy earning that much because I'm a newer teacher, I like not working full time for now, and my living costs are about $500/month, which includes paying $45 car insurance on a car I left back home in the states, average $50/month for visas, and about $225 rent and utilities.

Some of us have been offered jobs teaching full time for the school year, including me and a couple other teachers. The offer is $2000/month, which is admittedly low for full time teaching, but one of my co-workers was complaining that she would have to give up her apartment and her dog if she made "only" $2000/month. How is it even possible to spend that much in Hanoi?!?!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3209 on: July 12, 2014, 08:00:12 AM »
Today my CW who recently moved closer to work said "Riding your bike two miles to work is a waste."

He formerly rode his bike to work when it was 8 miles. He drives his SUV to work, now. That isn't a waste at all.

It actually makes some sense, perhaps you just did not understand the whole context of his statement, or didn't quote it verbatim? If he was riding 8 miles before, that likely meant he was wearing "cycling clothes" and then changing once he got to the office. He might have the "I must wear appropriate clothes when I ride my bike" idea in his head, and thus, if he's only riding 2 miles, then it's definitely "a waste" of time to do the whole biking thing, which involves changing at both ends. And if he thinks of it as his exercise for the day, than 2 miles is "a waste" since it's not far enough to get your heart rate up.

I sorta felt that way when my bike commute switched from 9 miles to 3.5 miles. And sure, if you want more miles, you could just loop out of your way on your commute, but psychologically, that's somehow difficult to do. I guess there's just something about a 6-10 mile commute that feels about "perfect": it hits the sweet spot in terms of working good exercise into your day and optimizing your use of time. So when you reduce that things just seem less optimal.

I used to have a commute that was 0.6 miles from my office. I tried to bike a couple times, but it felt like more effort than it was worth. So I would just walk. Walking was easier, less sweat, and no paranoia about my bike being outside all day and open to theft. Riding my bike took longer than walking because I had to bring the bike out, put on my helmet, ride, lock it up.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3210 on: July 12, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
I'm teaching English at an international school in Hanoi, Vietnam. Right now we're in summer school, teaching 15 hours per week. For this, we earn $1200 per month. I've been happy earning that much because I'm a newer teacher, I like not working full time for now, and my living costs are about $500/month, which includes paying $45 car insurance on a car I left back home in the states, average $50/month for visas, and about $225 rent and utilities.

Some of us have been offered jobs teaching full time for the school year, including me and a couple other teachers. The offer is $2000/month, which is admittedly low for full time teaching, but one of my co-workers was complaining that she would have to give up her apartment and her dog if she made "only" $2000/month. How is it even possible to spend that much in Hanoi?!?!

I would love to teach english in a foreign country.

How is she covering an apartment and dog on $1200/month?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3211 on: July 12, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »
Occasionally I will make a smart ass remark about the only thing I own that is big enough to require a bigger vehicle is my bank account.  I have also been called an asshole….

Thanks, AlmostIndependent.  I'm going to steal this one next time someone makes a wisecrack like "isn't it past time for you to get an upgrade" or something like that about my car.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3212 on: July 12, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »

I know in South Korea, housing is "free". It's part of your teaching contract as compensation.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #3213 on: July 12, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »

My trip to work went from 5.5 miles each way to 8 miles each way last year due to road construction.. That finished right before winter, and I was glad (with the winter we had) to have a 5.5 mile commute. 

I sometimes take the 'old' longer way home, but it is pretty tough to do it 'just because' over the summer while my wife isn't working (Teacher, or still looking for a teaching job).  She was working extra during the year as a teachers aid so I could leave work at about 5:00, go the 'longer way' and still come home not to long after she did.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #3214 on: July 12, 2014, 12:54:48 PM »
I had a good 'Overheard' story.  It wasn't at work, it was parking for a festival here.

My wife and I were going back out to our car.  We made sure to count the number of rows back we parked (in a field behind the festival grounds) to get to our car.  A middle aged woman was yelling at her late twenties daughter who was trying to find their car (They went up to a big red SUV, and it apparently wasn't the right one) ....

You always cheap out on everything.  You should've gotten the one that tells you where it is for.  It was only $5,000 more!  Cheap Cheap CHEAP CHEAP!!!!!!

I was astonished.  only '$5,000 more' for the ability for your car to tell you where you parked it? 
  • You can get an entire car for 5k
  • You can buy a small GPS unit for probably $75 ~ $150, store the location of the car, and set the location when you get out.  When you are done, set it in walking mode and find your way back to the car
  • You also could, instead of the above, get a free, or perhaps a 'better' premium app for your smartphone that I'm almost sure that you have, and 'Find my car' with it.

Really... 'CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP' on not spending $5k more so your car tells you where it's at?  It was so hard to just mention this to my wife, and not go over and say something.  Berating her daughter like that, as well calling someone who spent $5k less 'cheap'.......

smh....

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #3215 on: July 12, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »

• You also could, instead of the above, get a free, or perhaps a 'better' premium app for your smartphone that I'm almost sure that you have, and 'Find my car' with it.[/

smh....
With this one sentence you may have changed my life...[/list]

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3216 on: July 12, 2014, 03:01:26 PM »
Or you could just, you know, remember where the frack you parked. Your brain works for free.

jesstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3217 on: July 12, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
^wow. you can also "drop a pin" on your iPhone maps to see where you parked..

I have one from work.. My coworker makes ~$120k (plus her husband does really well) and we were talking about our boss that makes ~$200k:

CW: Wow, if I made $200k I would have my 401k, stock purchase, and roth maxed out!
Me: Oh ya, that would be nice!

...I make ~$80k and have all that maxed out + invest extra :)

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #3218 on: July 12, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
Or you could just, you know, remember where the frack you parked. Your brain works for free.

LOL.   If only it were that easy...

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3219 on: July 12, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »

I don't remember how the conversation started, but I was talking with a co-worker about how expensive cars were. He told me cars may now (or soon?) be required to have those cameras that let you know what's behind you so you can park...or was it something to warn you when you are changing lanes that another car was in that lane...or something riduculous like that. So I kind of made fun of the camera thing and he said "I won't be able to buy a car without that!" and sounded a little insulted. I think I made a comment on how lazy or wussy society was getting or something along those lines. He didn't really answer back so I probably offended him, which I am not really one to do very often. I hope I didn't hurt his feelings. I just don't want to have to be forced to buy a car in the future that has these things which drive up the price.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3220 on: July 12, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »

I don't remember how the conversation started, but I was talking with a co-worker about how expensive cars were. He told me cars may now (or soon?) be required to have those cameras that let you know what's behind you so you can park...or was it something to warn you when you are changing lanes that another car was in that lane...or something riduculous like that. So I kind of made fun of the camera thing and he said "I won't be able to buy a car without that!" and sounded a little insulted. I think I made a comment on how lazy or wussy society was getting or something along those lines. He didn't really answer back so I probably offended him, which I am not really one to do very often. I hope I didn't hurt his feelings. I just don't want to have to be forced to buy a car in the future that has these things which drive up the price.

This reminds me of a commercial I saw when I was at my parents house a few weeks ago (the only time I get to see them and be reminded of how horrible they are).  It was a dad teaching his son to drive and the son got distracted by a girl walking down the sidewalk.  A car pulled out of a driveway and he wasn't watching.  The car sensed it and slammed on the brakes for him.  The dad looks at the son and the only thing on the sons face was embarrassment, no fear or 'holy shit'.  I'm like wtf that's exactly what I want my kids (and everyone else on the road) to learn: don't bother paying attention, your car will do it for you.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3221 on: July 12, 2014, 04:07:04 PM »

This reminds me of a commercial I saw when I was at my parents house a few weeks ago (the only time I get to see them and be reminded of how horrible they are).  It was a dad teaching his son to drive and the son got distracted by a girl walking down the sidewalk.  A car pulled out of a driveway and he wasn't watching.  The car sensed it and slammed on the brakes for him.  The dad looks at the son and the only thing on the sons face was embarrassment, no fear or 'holy shit'.  I'm like wtf that's exactly what I want my kids (and everyone else on the road) to learn: don't bother paying attention, your car will do it for you.

Don't even get me started on the over-use of GPS. It's a great tool, but when you end up suspending common sense to pay attention to the tool, then we are entering into a new phase of society that sounds pretty scary. I've got about ten funny stories of GPS-gone-bad, including one with an ambulance driver while my mom was being taken to the hospital. Most of these stories involve otherwise very intelligent people, many with advanced degrees and all, but somehow they get stupified when in the presence of a GPS app. There should be a thread just on that.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3222 on: July 12, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »

I wasn't referring to you MrsPotts so hopefully no offense was taken. Certainly wasn't intended. I was referring to the saps paying $5k for a device to do it for them.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #3223 on: July 12, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »

I wasn't referring to you MrsPotts so hopefully no offense was taken. Certainly wasn't intended. I was referring to the saps paying $5k for a device to do it for them.

No worries.  I wallow in my blondness.  ;)

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #3224 on: July 12, 2014, 09:04:49 PM »
Or hold up your remote control and push the lock button.  Beep beep.  Follow the beep.  Wow found my car.  Hate to admit it but I've done this before.  The range is really quite long 1/4-1/2 blockish  so as long as your in the right neighborhood.  You can find your car. 

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #3225 on: July 12, 2014, 11:39:39 PM »

Two other jobs.

I don't understand it.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #3226 on: July 13, 2014, 08:47:41 AM »
Or hold up your remote control and push the lock button.  Beep beep.  Follow the beep.  Wow found my car.  Hate to admit it but I've done this before.  The range is really quite long 1/4-1/2 blockish  so as long as your in the right neighborhood.  You can find your car.

That's what the daughter WAS doing, she just went up to the wrong huge SUV that was the same color as hers I guess.   My wife and I counted the number of rows, that seemed to work fine for us (she always  gently berates me about not using the 'findmycar' app that I have on my phone but don't use)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3227 on: July 13, 2014, 09:44:31 AM »
I always make a note of the section/isle number I park in at the airport, is WAY to easy to forget where you parked after several weeks.  Not sure why I need an special app, 'parked in g5' can be handled by any smartphone note app.  Else I could see taking a picture of a landmark from where you car is if there are no section names/numbers.  5k$?!?!  Would it be wrong to think those people deserve to loose 5k?  Not sure my car is worth 5k.  I have walked up and tried to enter the wrong car a few times, was always a rental but still felt rather dumb.

econberkeley

• Stubble
« Reply #3228 on: July 13, 2014, 10:47:13 AM »
I started at a new job so I have been trying to familiarize myself with work benefits. I attended the HR benefit workshop and some of the things really shocked me.  By the way, this is one of the largest energy companies in U.S.

Me: I heard at the HR presentation that there is no discount for ESSP. Why would you buy if there is no discount? By the way, HR rep said you do not have pay brokerage fees when you buy so it is a great deal!!  I am serious. This is what she said:)
Coworker: Actually, I have been buying for several years.
Me: Are you serious? Why are you buying it? What is so special about this stock?
Coworker: It was going up so I bought it. For some reason, it started going down for the last couple of years. (By the way, she has a finance degree:) )
Me: What about the pension money? Do you know where the company put the money? It is not on the 401k website. I could not find it in the benefits instructions.
Coworker: I thought it is on the same website.
Me: No, it is not there.
At the end of the conversation, she mention that she lets the 401k company manage her portfolio for a fee.  This wasn't the end. She showed me the penny stocks that she has been trading. Actually, most of the stock she showed me what less than a 1/0 of a penny. I just could not take it anymore and left. I can only tolerate certain amount of finance ignorance in a day:)

I just don't understand how she can retire by making so many mistakes so early in life.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3229 on: July 13, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »
This wasnt at work but back in college i attended a personal finance seminar.  Sweet the college is gonna help all these young engineers out and get them a jump start on saving smartly.  WRONG

Seminar is lead by get this a Car Salesman.  I brought up many points throughout his lecture(This was preMMM i was just raised half mustache).  After the presentation the Career affairs lady running it asked me if i would like to come back and give the presentation next year since i was graduating.  I said i'd love to.  then she went on to ask what my degree was and since i was an engineer and not a finance major the conversation basically stopped there.  I'm sure they are still bringing in the same car salesman to do this pitch.   i dont remember everything but a few of his main points were all about how people were going to be investing in NEW CARS once they graduated and that he recommended you do the math b/c getting the 0% APR sometimes works out worse than taking the 5k they are giving you with a 1.9% rate etc.  and if people had any questions he could help them figure out which finance rate was the best.  i asked him pointed questions about Trad. vs. Roth and he didnt know what a roth was. 

So to sum it up in 5 years at a fantastic engineering university the only financial advice the university offered was optional and led by a car salesman.  'Merica!!!

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #3230 on: July 13, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »

I don't remember how the conversation started, but I was talking with a co-worker about how expensive cars were. He told me cars may now (or soon?) be required to have those cameras that let you know what's behind you so you can park...or was it something to warn you when you are changing lanes that another car was in that lane...or something riduculous like that.
The idea of the backup camera requirement that's coming up is to prevent people from backing over children & animals in their blind spots. And digital camera sensors and small screens have gotten really cheap these days— you can sell a smartphone for $130 retail and still make a profit, and it has a lot more components than just a camera and a screen!
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-Global-Unlocked-Black/dp/B00K0NRYF6

Of course, far more lives could be saved by lowering & enforcing the speed limits on city streets, but backup cameras are a modest-cost, reasonable mitigation of a genuine danger.

Lane warning systems aren't required yet, but apparently might be in the future, and also apparently work just with a relatively cheap camera and software that's amortized over millions of cars.

Car manufacturers might charge an arm and a leg for such features as options, but that's because they can, not because safety features are inherently expensive— a camera sensor is certainly much cheaper than an airbag, and probably cheaper than a seatbelt even.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3231 on: July 13, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »

I don't remember how the conversation started, but I was talking with a co-worker about how expensive cars were. He told me cars may now (or soon?) be required to have those cameras that let you know what's behind you so you can park...or was it something to warn you when you are changing lanes that another car was in that lane...or something riduculous like that.
The idea of the backup camera requirement that's coming up is to prevent people from backing over children & animals in their blind spots. And digital camera sensors and small screens have gotten really cheap these days— you can sell a smartphone for $130 retail and still make a profit, and it has a lot more components than just a camera and a screen!
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-Global-Unlocked-Black/dp/B00K0NRYF6

Of course, far more lives could be saved by lowering & enforcing the speed limits on city streets, but backup cameras are a modest-cost, reasonable mitigation of a genuine danger.

Lane warning systems aren't required yet, but apparently might be in the future, and also apparently work just with a relatively cheap camera and software that's amortized over millions of cars.

Car manufacturers might charge an arm and a leg for such features as options, but that's because they can, not because safety features are inherently expensive— a camera sensor is certainly much cheaper than an airbag, and probably cheaper than a seatbelt even.

Tesla is trying to get regulations changed to allow cameras to replace mirrors on cars. The energy savings of not having to push a mirror through the air would more than make up for the cost (what is the cost difference between a big mirror and a small camera anyways?) of putting it in the vehicle.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3232 on: July 13, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »
(what is the cost difference between a big mirror and a small camera anyways?)

What is the maintenance cost on a video surveillance system Vs a simple mirror?  I'm a big fan of reliability and low maintenance cost. I'm sure the camera will work for the first couple of owners but by the time I typically buy them these are the things that start to break. When it comes to vehicles the simpler the better for me.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3233 on: July 13, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
Tesla is trying to get regulations changed to allow cameras to replace mirrors on cars. The energy savings of not having to push a mirror through the air would more than make up for the cost (what is the cost difference between a big mirror and a small camera anyways?) of putting it in the vehicle.

F-ing cool!!!  If I were in the market for a +60k car, Tesla would be the first dealer I stopped at.

Re back up cameras: is not all about the total lives.  When you kill someone driving to fast in a neighborhood you probably dont know them but when you back over a kid it was probably yours or your neighbors.  Maybe sort of the same from a high level but I bet most people would be a heck of a lot more messed up having killed there own kid vs some random guy.  :-( 

Yeah and when it is standard each company has more of an incentive to do it cheaply vs as an option, got into this argument with a friend years back, he insisted all cars would suddenly cost X$ more where X is the option price.  Also manufacturing efficiency's help cut costs.

What is the maintenance cost on a video surveillance system Vs a simple mirror?  I'm a big fan of reliability and low maintenance cost. I'm sure the camera will work for the first couple of owners but by the time I typically buy them these are the things that start to break. When it comes to vehicles the simpler the better for me.

Big commercial aircraft cockpits have replaced physical gauge backup instruments with digital screens as the digital version are MORE reliable, may or may not be the case with personal cars.  Also living on a very narrow street I have seen plenty of parked cars mirrors broken due to careless drivers.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3234 on: July 13, 2014, 03:37:51 PM »

What is simple about a mirror in a car? Nothing. At the very least they have mechanical linkages so they can be adjusted from inside. More likely they are using electric controls with small motors to move the mirror. My sister broke one off when she was learning to drive and it cost $165 just to buy the part to replace it.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3235 on: July 13, 2014, 03:39:17 PM »
Tesla would be the first dealer I stopped at.
Where would you find a Tesla dealership?

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3236 on: July 13, 2014, 03:40:19 PM »
Tesla would be the first dealer I stopped at.
Where would you find a Tesla dealership?

Ha! You beat me to it.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3237 on: July 13, 2014, 05:20:22 PM »
Fairly close to most major US cities.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3238 on: July 13, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »

What is simple about a mirror in a car? Nothing. At the very least they have mechanical linkages so they can be adjusted from inside. More likely they are using electric controls with small motors to move the mirror. My sister broke one off when she was learning to drive and it cost $165 just to buy the part to replace it.

Mine's simple and doesn't have any of those linkages or motors. It's easily adjustable; just crank down the window and move it. Simple.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3239 on: July 13, 2014, 07:55:10 PM »
Mine too rural. Once the mirror is positioned correctly it is almost as fool proof device as you can get. Some times people just need to leave the wheel alone and stop trying to reinvent it. I'm sure $165 won't come close to touching the cameras of the future.must ask anybody who has had to replace the headlight on a prius.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3240 on: July 14, 2014, 01:23:08 AM »
You missed that whole debacle between Tesla and the dealers?

Those are company-owned stores. In three or four states (including the great state of Ohio, as well as New Jersey where it's in the news the most), dealers' lobbying associations are suing Tesla or lobbying for the state legislatures to make/keep direct sales by the automaker illegal.

otherbarry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3241 on: July 14, 2014, 04:42:52 AM »

Those are company-owned stores. In three or four states (including the great state of Ohio, as well as New Jersey where it's in the news the most), dealers' lobbying associations are suing Tesla or lobbying for the state legislatures to make/keep direct sales by the automaker illegal.

Wow, free market everyone. Make sure the product you develop and manufacture can't be sold by you. Car salesmen I swear.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3242 on: July 14, 2014, 04:43:27 AM »

Sorry yes I had heard of the direct sales (and bans/law suits/etc ), slipped my mind while posting; was thinking of 'dealer' in generic terms like 'where they have lots of one make of car for sale and a big sign that says FORD'.

Rbuckyfuller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3243 on: July 14, 2014, 06:42:30 AM »

I'm at a work function with a young BigLaw associate; we work in Midtown Manhattan on Park Ave.  He makes 160k or more.   Because partnership prospects are terrible, I make an off-hand comment that you just have to save as much as you can while you still have a job.  He mentions that he doesn't understand how people save money.  I'm confused (I save 60-70% of my salary) and it turns out that for Manhattan, his rent is dirt cheap.  So I get really confused.

Me: Okay. . . . .  So what do you spend it on?
Him: Man, we work on Park Avenue, everything is hella expensive.
Me: Right; I agree. So what do you spend it on?
Him: Man, I must spend $50-60 a day just on food, minimum.   Have you ever been to Dishes??[a local to-go lunch place that is hella expensive].  I mean, you get lunch and it is $26.
Me: Yeah.  Dishes is hella expensive.  But you know what isn't hella expensive?  The food cart right next to Dishes.
Him: Come on man, we make 6-figures.  I'm not eating at a freaking food cart.
Me (to myself): [If you live like you make 6-figures, and you make 6-figures, of course you are never going to save any money.  Simple, simple math.]

If this is the dishes I know, I can tell you the owner is comfortably making 7 figures, off of the 6 figure chumps who should be spending like they make 5, in their 4 figure shoes, 3 figure shirts, eating 2 figure lunches. Go figure.

Also, who says hella in manhattan?

For those of you with issues with "hella" -- no one says that in Manhattan.   Excuse my poetic license, he used other expressions of extremes, some were a bit more vulgar.

At chesebert, the other big law associate who commented --  I agree that you are in a far better position for partnership if you have money saved.  There are often "buyins" to partnership, etc.  I don't think I'm interested in being a partner.  The partners at my BigFirm do not have lives I envy.

Elyse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3244 on: July 14, 2014, 06:51:08 AM »
My boss this morning:  "You shouldn't be saving for retirement yet.  Most of your savings will be in the last decade of your career when you are making the big money."

Me: "But what about getting match at least?  And you are missing the market gains if you don't save now."

Boss: "That is just a trick to get you to save when you shouldn't."

I try to keep my financial mouth closed around work.  The rest of the conversation was carefully dancing around the issue.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3245 on: July 14, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »
Mine too rural. Once the mirror is positioned correctly it is almost as fool proof device as you can get. Some times people just need to leave the wheel alone and stop trying to reinvent it. I'm sure $165 won't come close to touching the cameras of the future.must ask anybody who has had to replace the headlight on a prius.

Lucked out on this - turns out my wife's is a 2010 Prius.  Were it a 2009 (which I thought it was), would have had to remove the front bumper to replace the light bulb.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3246 on: July 14, 2014, 08:15:13 AM »

It's even more expensive if you've got a mirror with a heating unit or a turn signal on it.

VillageIdiot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3247 on: July 14, 2014, 08:36:40 AM »
Getting a lift from a manager to a training event closer to downtown in his Toyota TRD (Toyota Racing Development) truck. Asked him why he didn't get a wagon (even a new outback would beat the mileage of this thing easily), "When you have kids you need room for them".

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3248 on: July 14, 2014, 09:44:01 AM »
My boss this morning:  "You shouldn't be saving for retirement yet.  Most of your savings will be in the last decade of your career when you are making the big money."

Me: "But what about getting match at least?  And you are missing the market gains if you don't save now."

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3249 on: July 14, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »

I try to keep my financial mouth closed around work.  The rest of the conversation was carefully dancing around the issue.
Just like a teenage girl, I can't even...