Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252724 times)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7800 on: April 21, 2015, 02:37:11 PM »
All I could see there was that the cavewoman (because it's always the woman) had hung the toilet roll back to front.

I know quite a few men that also prefer to hang tp in the improper under hand fashion.

My boyfriend does this! As a woman, it drives me crazy.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7801 on: April 21, 2015, 02:40:28 PM »
All I could see there was that the cavewoman (because it's always the woman) had hung the toilet roll back to front.

I know quite a few men that also prefer to hang tp in the improper under hand fashion.

That's the RIGHT way to hang it.  When it's hung overhand, particularly if it's one of those enormous rolls in a public restroom, it can be a bitch to unroll some.  With underhand, gravity comes into play and makes it much easier. 

/SCIENCE!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7802 on: April 21, 2015, 02:43:41 PM »

That's the RIGHT way to hang it.  When it's hung overhand, particularly if it's one of those enormous rolls in a public restroom, it can be a bitch to unroll some.  With underhand, gravity comes into play and makes it much easier. 

/SCIENCE!

Disagree. Gravity pulls down no matter which side of the roll it's hanging.

When it's hung PROPERLY it's MUCH easier to tear off the piece you need with one hand. When he hangs it the other way I need two hands. Totally messes up my efficiency OCD!

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #7803 on: April 21, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »
Off-topic - 1995 was the year newsprint comics died. There will never be another Gary Larson or Bill Patterson  Watterson.

Dammit! I hang my head in shame.

And I prefer toilet paper to roll over the top, but I'm not as dogmatic about it as I am about squeezing the toothpaste from the back of the tube.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:46:45 PM by Mississippi Mudstache »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7804 on: April 21, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »

/SCIENCE!

Huh? Is gravity stronger at the front of the roll? I must have missed that during science class. 

For the record I have never had a problem unrolling tp overhand (unless you count the factory sealing the tp to itself and hiding the seam - spin round and round and never find a spot to tear!). 

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7805 on: April 21, 2015, 02:56:28 PM »

/SCIENCE!

Huh? Is gravity stronger at the front of the roll? I must have missed that during science class. 

For the record I have never had a problem unrolling tp overhand (unless you count the factory sealing the tp to itself and hiding the seam - spin round and round and never find a spot to tear!).

Hanging it underhand is also an effective way to prevent the roll from being undone all the way by cats, if you have one:

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2m48ol/why_i_insist_on_hanging_the_toilet_paper_the/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7806 on: April 21, 2015, 03:11:01 PM »
Haha. Reminds me of the time one of our friends was complaining about her car riding rough in high school, so we asked her how long it had been since she changed the air in her tires. We actually convinced her to take it to a tire shop and request that they change the air, which they (for some reason?) actually did. She was convinced that it was riding much smoother afterwards.
Maybe the pressure was off and they corrected it.

Maybe the just took the car, went on a smoke break, and then came back and told her that they did something. It was all a placebo effect.

Maybe they replaced the atmospheric air with nitrogen, which is actually a thing people do

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7807 on: April 21, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
Three reasons for underhand: cats, babies, and holder below seat-level. (I was surprised when I discovered that last one, but it's true.)

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7808 on: April 21, 2015, 03:16:50 PM »
Hanging it underhand is also an effective way to prevent the roll from being undone all the way by cats, if you have one:

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2m48ol/why_i_insist_on_hanging_the_toilet_paper_the/

I've lived with a lot of different cats and never had one that did that.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7809 on: April 21, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
Unlike Pooperman I feel naked without wearing a watch; with few exceptions I've worn a watch every day since the fourth grade.

I'm the same way Mandalay.  It feels so strange without my watch on.  I put it on first thing in the morning and only take it off right before bed.  However, one of my early FIRE goals is to ditch the watch.  Some slight symbolism that I don't care what time it is anymore.  Maybe add that to your list.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7810 on: April 21, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »

/SCIENCE!

Count me amongst the overhand ranks. Also, count me amongst the ranks that curses gravity. #thinklikehomer

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #7811 on: April 21, 2015, 07:46:42 PM »
I talked to my coworkers about my grand plans for FIRE on Friday.

Not well received. First it was shock and ridicule, and then it quickly moved to angry outbursts from a couple of them. I kept cool and explained my plan, even broke down my current budget and how I expect to cover healthcare and a kid in the future.

After waaaay too long not doing work, I actually had tacit support from a couple and outright support from a couple more. Not bad. Today the guy in the cube next to me told me he was going through his credit card statements over the weekend to figure out where all of his money was going. I made him think! :D

What made you decide to talk with your colleagues about it? Is FIRE imminent for you? If so, great job getting there so young!

I think people would like at me like I'd sprouted a second head if I told them when I will hopefully be FIRE.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7812 on: April 21, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »

Yea me either.  All of the cats I have lived with over the years were smart too, and if they wanted to unroll the tp I have absolutely no doubt they could figure it out despite the you installing it backwards.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7813 on: April 21, 2015, 08:25:35 PM »

/SCIENCE!

1.  A better solution is to close the bathroom door.
2.  Or shoot the cat with vinegar whenever they think about doing that.
3.  If they keep doing that... get rid of the cat.
4.  If it comes back drive it further away.
5.  If it comes back again.... this gets graphic(I'm obviously more of a dog fan :). )

So my big question... the roll is the same, it is just positioned on the hanger in an opposite fashion.  Its the same roll, the same paper, and the same hanger.  It just looks different from your perspective.  So WTF does that have to do with gravity?   

I actually didn't realize how I had it positioned.  I had to check.  Its the backwards way apparently.  I don't really pay attention.  I just put the roll on the stick and I dedicate my brain power to more important things.  Except tonight... you guys made me waste brain cells on this..... ;)

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #7814 on: April 22, 2015, 01:51:09 AM »
This is from years ago but I was thinking about it today as I plan my travels. I used to work at a fancy schmancy several hundred dollar a night five star hotel. One day I was informed that a guy was bringing his girlfriend in and had planned a surprise dinner up in their suite and a marriage proposal. Extravagent things had been planned, I can't remember much except lots of flowers and a limo. Now I was puzzled why anyone would think a characterless hotel room romantic but to each their own.

I happened to be the person to check them in. They were surprisingly young, barely out of high school. The guy hands over his credit card and I deduct the required deposit, which is something like two nights stay. Because the guy had handed over a debit card it would hold the money directly from his account. The card was declined. Now this was an awkward situation. Our hotel always tries to go above and beyond for our guests, especially when they are planning things such as proposals, telling the guy he was dead broke in front of his intended fiancée wasn't quite the thing. I politely informed them that there was something wrong with our machine and went out back to ask my manager what I should do. She told me to lower the amount to be deducted to one nights stay. Again the card declined. Again I asked my manager what to do, eventually after much declining we charged an amount something like $70. My manager had decided that we would rather risk non payment by the guy who couldn't afford a hotel room, let alone an extravagent proposal and marriage. The whole incident left me amazed and I was a spendy pants myself at the time.

I don't know how the proposal went or if the girlfriend had any idea he was dead broke despite his extravagance. I was hoping she would decline since he was clearly short a few marbles.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #7815 on: April 22, 2015, 05:04:50 AM »
I have a coworker who wants to make a career change (because she thinks that despite being trained for basically nothing she should be able to make more than $14 per hour and have standard 9-5 hours, but I digress). She wants to do (A), which would require a training course costing $800. But she doesn't have $800 (because she doesn't make much and fritters what she does make away on useless crap). So instead she is planning to do (B), which is in the same general field but would require a year or two of school, and presumably the attendant student loans. She thinks the job market for Bs is pretty good but hasn't really looked into it. She thinks she'd probably be able to get out of some of the course work because she has part of a degree in a closely related field, but isn't sure.

Note that we receive at least 15 emails a week begging people to go to other locations to work overtime shifts. She does work two other jobs very part-time, and I'm not sure about the pay for one of them, but if she's willing to pull in a bit of overtime she could have that $800 pretty fast.

I would point this out to her, and I'm pretty sure her boss already tried to, but you can't tell this person anything that doesn't match with what she already thinks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:06:24 AM by Merrie »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7816 on: April 22, 2015, 06:13:25 AM »

Me, too, but I've had only one who did it.  It was super freaking annoying. That cured me of my mania that the TP had to be loaded overhand.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7817 on: April 22, 2015, 06:37:47 AM »

Me, too, but I've had only one who did it.  It was super freaking annoying. That cured me of my mania that the TP had to be loaded overhand.

Our DOG actually does this, but only when we're not home. We started crating her instead of just putting her in the bathroom (she was also eating the shower curtain, baseboards, and anything else she could find) so that solved that problem, and we still get to have the TP facing overhand like normal humans ;)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7818 on: April 22, 2015, 06:43:02 AM »
This is from years ago but I was thinking about it today as I plan my travels. I used to work at a fancy schmancy several hundred dollar a night five star hotel. One day I was informed that a guy was bringing his girlfriend in and had planned a surprise dinner up in their suite and a marriage proposal. Extravagent things had been planned, I can't remember much except lots of flowers and a limo. Now I was puzzled why anyone would think a characterless hotel room romantic but to each their own.

I happened to be the person to check them in. They were surprisingly young, barely out of high school. The guy hands over his credit card and I deduct the required deposit, which is something like two nights stay. Because the guy had handed over a debit card it would hold the money directly from his account. The card was declined. Now this was an awkward situation. Our hotel always tries to go above and beyond for our guests, especially when they are planning things such as proposals, telling the guy he was dead broke in front of his intended fiancée wasn't quite the thing. I politely informed them that there was something wrong with our machine and went out back to ask my manager what I should do. She told me to lower the amount to be deducted to one nights stay. Again the card declined. Again I asked my manager what to do, eventually after much declining we charged an amount something like $70. My manager had decided that we would rather risk non payment by the guy who couldn't afford a hotel room, let alone an extravagent proposal and marriage. The whole incident left me amazed and I was a spendy pants myself at the time.

I don't know how the proposal went or if the girlfriend had any idea he was dead broke despite his extravagance. I was hoping she would decline since he was clearly short a few marbles.

Your hotel was borderline complicit in fraud.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #7819 on: April 22, 2015, 07:15:39 AM »

I think all such businesses are. They take truckloads of your money so that you can feel rich and special when in reality it's about as realistic as the faux neo renaissance furniture. Five star hotels are a fantasy. 90% of people stay in them not for the convenience but for the fantasy that they're someone else when they're there. It was always the poorest people who spent the most. In fact the housekeeping staff regularly told me about their trips to Europe where they would spend 40k. These people only earned about 35k at the time! Made me wonder if half our clients were housekeeping staff from Europe.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #7820 on: April 22, 2015, 08:39:26 AM »

5.  If it comes back again.... this gets graphic(I'm obviously more of a dog fan :). )

You've just dredged up memories of a short film from my childhood.  Here it is: https://www.nfb.ca/film/the-cat-came-back

When I was growing up, we had several cats. None of them would leave the TP alone if you hung it overhand. 

Now days, it's my daughter who does the playing with the TP roll, and for whatever reason she always spins it so it drops the paper if it's hung overhand, so we've gone back to underhandedness.

damize

• Stubble
« Reply #7821 on: April 22, 2015, 08:53:04 AM »

/SCIENCE!

I'm sorry, but the inventor says you are incorrect: http://www.today.com/home/toilet-paper-over-or-under-debate-resolved-1891-patent-t9776

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7822 on: April 22, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »

How is that fraud?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7823 on: April 22, 2015, 09:48:23 AM »

How is that fraud?

No good deed apparently should ever go unpunished. It's comments like the fraud one that piss me off, society has become entirely too litigious. Reminds me of this guy I used to play Lightning with back during recess (it's a basketball game involving free throws). Oftentimes his balls would hit off the rim and go flying away, and since time was a factor sometimes people would pass him the ball rather than make him run after it, but if he got out he would complain about interference. So people stopped helping him, and then he would complain that people weren't helping him so finally we told him to F off and play with someone else.

SK Joyous

• Stubble
« Reply #7824 on: April 22, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »

You've just dredged up memories of a short film from my childhood.  Here it is: https://www.nfb.ca/film/the-cat-came-back

When I was growing up, we had several cats. None of them would leave the TP alone if you hung it overhand. 

Now days, it's my daughter who does the playing with the TP roll, and for whatever reason she always spins it so it drops the paper if it's hung overhand, so we've gone back to underhandedness.

Thank you for this trip down memory lane!  I haven't seen this video in years!  It would come on during Beachcombers if I recall (and so would the... lumberjack waltz?)
Ahh, nostalgia :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7825 on: April 22, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »

How is that fraud?  It's up to the GM to risk not getting paid.  I assume that GM's have some leeway on payment, and how much they charge.

For example, my school solicits donations from hotels to auction off to make money for the school.  We have several hotels that donate a night mid-week. 

This isn't that much different.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #7826 on: April 22, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »
Breaking News:

Co-worker is on the phone, talking to his Mom about Mother's Day.  Here's the current shopping list:
1. A used white ceiling fan w/Tiffany style glass light mount from Craig's List for $100, or a plain white one from Lowe's for $109.  This would be the gift for his mother.
2. For his wife, she wants a fitbit, plus they are heading over to James Avery to get her a charm bracelet w/two specific birthstone charms, and while on the phone, checked out the prices on Amazon for a large bottle of her favorite perfume, which is $80 plus shipping, so it can be shipped to his mom's house to surprise his wife.

I'm amused that the mom potentially gets a used ceiling fan, while the wife gets a consumerist crap-ton!  This from a guy who complains about money all the time, and goads his co-workers into going out with him to eat lunch every day, even though his co-workers have brought their own lunch from home.

Last week a co-worker loudly complained to another co-worker that his property taxes went up a lot.  His VALUE increased a lot, b/c we are in a hot market, but the actual increase in tax rate isn't very much.  However, our county makes it super easy to contest, and you don't even need proof, they usually will work with you and give you something off if you just file a protest.  Which you can do easily, online.

Rather than do the protest, the co-worker explained that he was going to hire a company to do it for him, which apparently will take 2/3 of the savings!  He explained that if they saved him $600, they would take $400 in return, and it was totally worth it, b/c they do all the work.  In the very next sentence, he said that he sent them his closing (HUD) statement, and pictures of the inside of the house, so that they can protest for him.  Umm, isn't that doing some of the work yourself?

He also conceded that the county already has all the data regarding sold comps, so you don't need to bring in that proof, which is true.  I fight it every year, and usually resolve it online in a matter of minutes.  Even if I do have to escalate to an in-person meeting, they are very good w/appointments, so you are in and out in 20 minutes.   I know he's not making $800 an hour!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7827 on: April 22, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »

How is that fraud?

No good deed apparently should ever go unpunished. It's comments like the fraud one that piss me off, society has become entirely too litigious. Reminds me of this guy I used to play Lightning with back during recess (it's a basketball game involving free throws). Oftentimes his balls would hit off the rim and go flying away, and since time was a factor sometimes people would pass him the ball rather than make him run after it, but if he got out he would complain about interference. So people stopped helping him, and then he would complain that people weren't helping him so finally we told him to F off and play with someone else.

I worked at a hotel as a night auditor.  I was the lowest person in the pecking order and even I was authorized to change rates and give discounts at my discretion.  It sounds like from the original story that the alternative to a lower rate, and taking the risk of non payment for the second night was to turn him away which guarantees an empty hotel suite. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7828 on: April 22, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »

How is that fraud?

I worked at a hotel as a night auditor.  I was the lowest person in the pecking order and even I was authorized to change rates and give discounts at my discretion.  It sounds like from the original story that the alternative to a lower rate, and taking the risk of non payment for the second night was to turn him away which guarantees an empty hotel suite.

Yeah, spending some time on the road doing sales, I found that most night clerks had wiggle room on rates, especially if there are multiple hotels nearby. My favorite has to be going to a Red Roof Inn and being told that the rates was $65, negotiating it down to $55 and then chatting with the guy as he checked me in. We traded stories and jokes and then right before I signed the rate sheet, he tore it up and lowered my rate to $45 because, "I made him laugh." A year later I was back in the same area and got the rate of $55, but when I asked the lady behind the counter about the guy, she looked at me suspiciously until I told her about him telling me his life story (which was clearly made up) and she burst out laughing and lowered my rate down to around $42.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7829 on: April 22, 2015, 11:01:11 AM »
How is that fraud?

I read "fraud" as not referring to the credit card or even the hotel business directly, but in helping to cover up the guy's lack of financial means from his girlfriend.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7830 on: April 22, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »
Yeah, spending some time on the road doing sales, I found that most night clerks had wiggle room on rates, especially if there are multiple hotels nearby. My favorite has to be going to a Red Roof Inn and being told that the rates was $65, negotiating it down to $55 and then chatting with the guy as he checked me in. We traded stories and jokes and then right before I signed the rate sheet, he tore it up and lowered my rate to $45 because, "I made him laugh." A year later I was back in the same area and got the rate of $55, but when I asked the lady behind the counter about the guy, she looked at me suspiciously until I told her about him telling me his life story (which was clearly made up) and she burst out laughing and lowered my rate down to around $42.

At that rate, you'll get comp'd nights by 2029!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7831 on: April 22, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »
How is that fraud?

I read "fraud" as not referring to the credit card or even the hotel business directly, but in helping to cover up the guy's lack of financial means from his girlfriend.

Got it, so it's now the hotel's fault to inform the girlfriend that her boyfriend doesn't have any cash. I suppose if a man is going to propose to his girlfriend at a swanky restaurant, should the host inform her in advance that her boyfriend doesn't have any taste (if he ordered the wrong wine)?

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #7832 on: April 22, 2015, 11:27:32 AM »
How is that fraud?

Got it, so it's now the hotel's fault to inform the girlfriend that her boyfriend doesn't have any cash. I suppose if a man is going to propose to his girlfriend at a swanky restaurant, should the host inform her in advance that her boyfriend doesn't have any taste (if he ordered the wrong wine)?
You are borderline complicit in fraud.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7833 on: April 22, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »
How is that fraud?

He should have spray painted the customers car.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7834 on: April 22, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »
How is that fraud?

Pretty sure the "borderline fraud" comment was intended as a joke and they were complicit in him misrepresenting himself.

Personally, if it was my hotel - proposal planned or not - I'd have told him he needed to pay for the room, subtly of course and probably not in front of the GF.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7835 on: April 22, 2015, 01:36:51 PM »
The whole marriage proposal was a sham, and the hotel helped pull the wool over the girl's eyes, hence the joking 'borderline fraud' comment.

:P

I'm not sure why we're supposed to feel the hotel did the right thing by waiving the room fee.  Paying for things you take is often viewed as a reasonable way of doing business where I come from.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #7836 on: April 22, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »
I'm not sure why we're supposed to feel the hotel did the right thing by waiving the room fee.  Paying for things you take is often viewed as a reasonable way of doing business where I come from.
I don't think the hotel did the right thing, but I certainly think it's their prerogative to lower the fee if that's what they want to do.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #7837 on: April 22, 2015, 02:01:15 PM »

This sort of thing is pretty standard in the service industry, whether it's a discount on a room, a free business class upgrade or even just a coffee.

I always like getting comped, even if I could afford full price on whatever it is I'm getting for free/cheap.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7838 on: April 22, 2015, 02:03:07 PM »
I don't think the hotel did the right thing, but I certainly think it's their prerogative to lower the fee if that's what they want to do.

Agreed.  Though it does make them complicit in the fraud in this case . . .

:D

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7839 on: April 22, 2015, 02:10:34 PM »
Who is saying the hotel did "the right thing"?  Also, what does "the right thing" even mean?  Also how is it the hotel's (or anyone's for that matter) responsibility to interject into something as personal as a marriage proposal, unless they are specifically asked? 

I would think the hotel should show some discretion and not set off the "one millionth customer" alarm and bells when a cc is declined, whether they are their with a prospective marriage partner, business partners, or even just strangers.  More often it is framed as some kind of glitch or error, so as to not project the "you are a dead beat" vibe, regardless of whether they are or aren't. 

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7840 on: April 22, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »

This sort of thing is pretty standard in the service industry, whether it's a discount on a room, a free business class upgrade or even just a coffee.

I always like getting comped, even if I could afford full price on whatever it is I'm getting for free/cheap.

Indeed.  On our rare (anniversary) dinners out at a fancy restaurant my wife always makes a point of telling the servers and any other services that it is our anniversary.  Free desserts, discounts and bonuses tend to follow.

It is only my innate self-consciousness and aversion to lying that keeps me from announcing my anniversary every time I go to a restaurant.

Skalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7841 on: April 22, 2015, 07:49:05 PM »
I finally have one!

So I'm sitting in the office, and supervisor says that she got a new car.

She went from a 2000-something Honda Accord, $13k owed, $6k worth, to a new 2015 Ford Focus. So she went from being $7k in the hole to $23k in the hole, and she was bragging about how she managed to go from 18% interest to 9%, and was talking about all the features of this new car. She averages 25k miles a year on a car, so I can see her wanting to roll her already rolled loan before she's done paying it off.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7842 on: April 22, 2015, 08:14:07 PM »
Wtf? $13k owed on 200X car? 18% and 9% interest??

GoingConcern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7843 on: April 22, 2015, 08:15:16 PM »
Wtf? $13k owed on 200X car? 18% and 9% interest??

Two words:

Financial suicide. 

penguins4everyone!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7844 on: April 22, 2015, 08:20:11 PM »
just finished this whole thread and i have that kind of yucky feeling you get when you just spent like 7 hours watching reruns on TV and you had like 50 other (productive, mustachian!) things you meant to do that day...

No coworker disasters to report.  Mostly annoyance when coworkers endlessly complain about their parking tickets that they get parking around the office (meter maids be fierce around here and no lots around), when there is a million types of public transit around and ample bike parking.  One person on my team will regularly get parking tickets that are about 2/3 of her take home pay for the day.  mostly makes me really sad.  I have to hold my tongue but my I really want to be like, "dang maybe you shouldn't have accepted this job if you knew you were going to have to drive."   

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #7845 on: April 22, 2015, 11:32:21 PM »

At that rate, you'll get comp'd nights by 2029!

Love it when people live up to their user names.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7846 on: April 23, 2015, 04:10:59 AM »
So here's a bit of a mixed one.A coworker is going on sabbatical for ~3 months because she saved money since college over the last 3 or so years. She's going to places like Bali, St. Thomas, etc and then moving back to her home state (California). The good is that she saved. The bad is her attitude towards the saved money: gotta enjoy life while you're young because you never know what will happen. With that attitude, we all know what will happen. She will work until she's 70 and never be able to retire. I told her that. She disagreed and said now was more important anyway.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #7847 on: April 23, 2015, 07:54:20 AM »
To each his own.   If she had the ability to save up enough to take that much time off then hopefully she has the ability to save later for retirement.
If something doesn't matter to someone else or if they haven't arrived at a point where they see value in it, then that's how it is.

She sees there being great value in taking this trip.   She was able to sacrifice putting that money away to achieve the goal.
Just because not everyone shares that goal doesn't make it less worthwhile.  Her life, her decision and the value is what SHE places on it.....not anyone else.
I suspect that people who follow the straight and narrow path(fiscally) are most certainly not her audience.   Actually, she probably doesn't care.

Maybe she needs to do this before she can focus on other long term goals?    Doesn't mean that she won't decide to start saving for retirement afterwards.  Or that she isn't fiscally responsible.

There are some that need to strike out and take risk when they're young while the feel the overwhelming need to do so.

I sincerely doubt that she will regret doing this.   There is always some argument NOT to spend money in such a way on these boards.
Fine, each has their opinion.    Personally, I'll never regret the trips I took and some of the "throw caution to the wind" decisions I've made over the years.
I walk in these shoes no one else.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7848 on: April 23, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »
To each his own.   If she had the ability to save up enough to take that much time off then hopefully she has the ability to save later for retirement.
If something doesn't matter to someone else or if they haven't arrived at a point where they see value in it, then that's how it is.

She sees there being great value in taking this trip.   She was able to sacrifice putting that money away to achieve the goal.
Just because not everyone shares that goal doesn't make it less worthwhile.  Her life, her decision and the value is what SHE places on it.....not anyone else.
I suspect that people who follow the straight and narrow path(fiscally) are most certainly not her audience.   Actually, she probably doesn't care.

Maybe she needs to do this before she can focus on other long term goals?    Doesn't mean that she won't decide to start saving for retirement afterwards.  Or that she isn't fiscally responsible.

There are some that need to strike out and take risk when they're young while the feel the overwhelming need to do so.

I sincerely doubt that she will regret doing this.   There is always some argument NOT to spend money in such a way on these boards.
Fine, each has their opinion.    Personally, I'll never regret the trips I took and some of the "throw caution to the wind" decisions I've made over the years.
I walk in these shoes no one else.

Yeah, I agree. I used to be that girl. You DO have to enjoy life while you can. At least she saved and wasn't taking three months off using her credit card.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #7849 on: April 23, 2015, 08:02:36 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I used to be that girl. You DO have to enjoy life while you can. At least she saved and wasn't taking three months off using her credit card.
The problem is not in enjoying life while you can, it's doing it in such a reckless way that you can't do it in the future (or can't do it as much as you could otherwise). Or as MMM put it, "giving your future self the shaft". Tomorrow has to be enjoyed too.