Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252851 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #18250 on: August 16, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »
A 70-year-old man still works at my plant even though he could have retired years ago. Has a pension and a 401k but won't quit because his ex-wife will get half his pension. Half of his pension is WAY more than anyone on this forum needs to FIRE -- not to mention the 401k, a paid off mortgage etc. I thought how sad that someone is so bitter that they'd rather work until they die than retire. Seems absolutely insane to me.
Guy at my last job had a deal go sideways for a severance package around 2008.  He stayed at the company into his 70s to "get what he was owed."

Wow, he sure showed them.

ಠ_ಠ

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18251 on: August 16, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »
This is technically a "seen just after I left work" post but it's close enough, and I had to share...

I was on the subway and I noticed a guy next to me had this crazy-looking leather dog-shaped ... manbag? Briefcase? Bag. It looked well-worn and made of solid black leather, but it was shaped (in a very detailed way) like a little dachshund. So funny. And he was the last guy you would ever think to carry something so funny/silly, dressed in plain black pants, black T-shirt, black All-Stars, and had a slightly 'tough guy' look to him. Anyway, I sneaked a pic for a friend of mine who is crazy about dachshunds and we were joking about how I should have offered him $50 for it or something, because she wants it so bad. So I googled to see if you could buy them somewhere and HOLY SHIT THEY COST $2600. It's some crazy high-end designer thing. WTAF!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #18252 on: August 16, 2017, 09:34:42 PM »
This is technically a "seen just after I left work" post but it's close enough, and I had to share...

I was on the subway and I noticed a guy next to me had this crazy-looking leather dog-shaped ... manbag? Briefcase? Bag. It looked well-worn and made of solid black leather, but it was shaped (in a very detailed way) like a little dachshund. So funny. And he was the last guy you would ever think to carry something so funny/silly, dressed in plain black pants, black T-shirt, black All-Stars, and had a slightly 'tough guy' look to him. Anyway, I sneaked a pic for a friend of mine who is crazy about dachshunds and we were joking about how I should have offered him $50 for it or something, because she wants it so bad. So I googled to see if you could buy them somewhere and HOLY SHIT THEY COST $2600. It's some crazy high-end designer thing. WTAF!

I had to Google and click too, so now guess what ads I get?

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #18253 on: August 17, 2017, 05:47:16 AM »

I had to google this nonsense too (used incognito mode - thanks for the tip).  Oh holy fuck!  I have never seen anything so ridiculous as the advertisement for that bag at Barney's.  It looks like the dude is carrying around a little dog doll. New level of weird.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18254 on: August 17, 2017, 06:17:18 AM »

I had to google this nonsense too (used incognito mode - thanks for the tip).  Oh holy fuck!  I have never seen anything so ridiculous as the advertisement for that bag at Barney's.  It looks like the dude is carrying around a little dog doll. New level of weird.
TIL tough guys and their money are easily parted.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #18255 on: August 17, 2017, 06:42:10 AM »

http://Https://www.adguard.com
And I think that would be a manpurse :D

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18256 on: August 17, 2017, 07:33:04 AM »

Lookatmeism at its finest.

If it had been a female carrying a dog shaped bag it wouldn't have been as unusual. If it had been a flamboyant gay guy it would also not be unusual. No, this was someone looking for attention and basing his happiness on people's reactions to his bag. He saw you take that picture, oh yes he did.

Or he just really liked the bag and using it brought him joy?

Maybe. But $2600 for a bag? Facepunch!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18257 on: August 17, 2017, 08:48:12 AM »

If it had been a female carrying a dog shaped bag it wouldn't have been as unusual. If it had been a flamboyant gay guy it would also not be unusual. No, this was someone looking for attention and basing his happiness on people's reactions to his bag. He saw you take that picture, oh yes he did.

Or he just really liked the bag and using it brought him joy?

I hope so :-) It looked very well-worn so it is either a much-beloved frequently-used item, or he got it used. I was just astonished that someone in the world at some point in time had paid that much for a leather dog.

This being NYC, you would have to be way weirder than that for people to actively pay attention to you on the subway.

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #18258 on: August 17, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »

I saw dog shaped leather bags all over Rome this summer. They were cute, but for a 10 year old girl, not a grown man. And they were cheap. Less than 20 euros.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #18259 on: August 17, 2017, 12:19:38 PM »

Isn't is a little vain to assume that total stranger is doing something just to get YOUR attention?  Maybe it's true, but that bag is totally cute.  Maybe he likes it.  I'm not saying it's Mustachian to buy a $2,600 bag!

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18260 on: August 17, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
I found a bug on their web site...  There is a "." missing between $26 and 00.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18261 on: August 17, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
In the lift at work this morning...

Girl A: Cute bag! Is it new?

Girl B: Thanks! I wanted it for so long and kept waiting for it to come here but it didn't, so I gave up and imported it. It only cost me an extra $600!

Girl A:That's so good!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18262 on: August 17, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »

Girl B: Thanks! I wanted it for so long and kept waiting for it to come here but it didn't, so I gave up and imported it. It only cost me an extra $600!

I weep for the future.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18263 on: August 17, 2017, 05:42:38 PM »

I weep for the future.

These people are why Social Security has to exist.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18264 on: August 17, 2017, 06:00:12 PM »
I found a bug on their web site...  There is a "." missing between $26 and 00.

No way. A price like 26.00 can't exist. It would have to be 25.99.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18265 on: August 17, 2017, 06:22:43 PM »

Not an insane $600 for a bag, but an additional $600 in fees for a bag of unknown price.... Holy sh....

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18266 on: August 18, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »

Not an insane $600 for a bag, but an additional $600 in fees for a bag of unknown price.... Holy sh....
probably not fees but important taxes, most of it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18267 on: August 18, 2017, 04:13:26 PM »

probably not fees but important taxes, most of it.

Then there are those less important taxes...

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #18268 on: August 18, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »
Had a conversation with someone at work yesterday.   The person wanted to know about my vacation.  Or brag about their FitBit.  Or complain about money.  Of all three.  I made my best effort to commiserate.

She: "How was your vacation?" 
Me: "Great, we went camping and I let the phone battery completely drain." 
She: (lack of comprehension) "Okay..., did you do something interesting?" 
Me: "Yeah, some high altitude trekking." 
She: (comprehension returning "Sounds awesome.  How high did you get?". 
Me:  "Dunno, on the topo map it looked like around 11,500 feet."
She: "You have a FitBit, right?  It would give you all of this great information about your pace and heart rate, and stuff."
Me: "I'm kinda old-fashioned on the fitness thing.  Going up was a bit challenging, but the views more than compensated for the effort."
She:  "But a FitBit would really help you.  I have increased my daily steps since I got mine.  Did you take any pictures?"
Me: "Sure did, took some time bracketing my shots; my camera tends to overexpose, but I put it on full manual and got much better color saturation with under exposition by one F-stop."
She: "Whaa? Like, your iPhone?"
Me:  "No, my DSLR.  It's kinda heavy, but totally worth it for the close-ups with wide aperture setting.  But enough about me.  What have you been up to lately?"
She: "We went to Disneyland, and it was way too crowded, and the lines were long, and the kids had to pee, and now have to pay off all those credit cards, and we are, like, totally broke.  I couldn't believe how expensive the t-shirts were."
Me: "Sounds rough.  Say what, I've got a meeting in a couple of minutes.  Shall we take a look at your selfies tomorrow?"

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18269 on: August 18, 2017, 09:07:15 PM »
Quote from: Gone_Hiking link=topic=2540.msg1665663#msg1665663 date=????
....snip....
Me: "Sounds rough.  Say what, I've got a meeting in a couple of minutes.  Shall we take a look at your selfies tomorrow?"

Always the right answer.   Next to Wally of Dilbert fame, you are my hero.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #18270 on: August 19, 2017, 09:09:36 AM »
I hear ya. It's hard to move once you have a family. That's why I wanna move as much as I can when I'm free and mobile. I turned down an offer in Luxembourg a while ago because I signed up my current job first. Maybe it's time to reconnect with them.
You didn't miss on much. Luxembourg is incredibly boring and superficial. Nobody has ever moved to Luxembourg for any reason other than work or lowering their tax liability.

Source: close relatives who are actively plotting their escape.

I am surprised by all the negative stories about Luxembourg and the Channel Islands. They are popular tourist destinations, you'd expect they would at least offer something in the way of entertainment.

If I had the opportunity, I'd certainly try Luxembourg. The city of Luxembourg is similar in size to my own city and I certainly enjoy it over here. And as Luxembourg is right in the heart of Europe, you can easily travel to other cities for the weekend if you're really bored.  But honestly, outside of work I don't really do much. I'm an introvert. I clean my house, cook nice meals, cycle around on a sunny day, when it's rainy I'll read a book or watch Netflix. Maybe I should seriously look for an expat job ...

Chiming in here, and I'll add that Luxembourg sucks! Was dating someone that was working there and went there to visit her and tried to enjoy my time there but after a day we left and got a hotel room in Paris to actually enjoy ourselves.

I very nearly went there a few years back when I was staying in Trier. I wanted to cycle to Luxembourg but it never happened. Sounds like I didn't miss out on much? Trier is lovely though.

Well, No place would be worse off than an offshore island in terms of being bored. Besides, I will get paid well and have easy access to other parts of the Europe. I don't party, drink, or go clubbing so no need to be in the heart of NYC. High salary and easy access to other places in Europe is a win-win to me. I know cost of living will be high but I'm used to it now. Believe me, I'm living in the most expensive city on earth right now so every other place would be considered "cheaper".

There was another offer in Frankfurt but I would get paid much less though. i.e. hurt my FI
I know a young woman who grew up in Luxemburg because both her parents work there. It is boring. And easy access, well, if you do not mind driving a couple of hours .... Shopping can be done just over the border because there are a few places just across the border catering to the Luxemburgers who also like to arbitrage their groceries but any decent city is at least a couple of hours from Luxemburg City. The pay is great, housing is expensive ...

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18271 on: August 22, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »
Overheard just now:  "Yeah, I saw the total eclipse yesterday.  I kind of want my money back."

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18272 on: August 22, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
Overheard just now:  "Yeah, I saw the total eclipse yesterday.  I kind of want my money back."

I've heard several stupid comments about the eclipse. If it's not your deal that's fine but some people  (myself included) thought it was pretty cool. I don't go around talking about how stupid Christmas is even though I hate it. It all goes back to if you don't have something nice to say...

Kansaslover5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18273 on: August 22, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
I have a coworker who's very close to retirement.    Tthe other day, I overheard her ask "Wait, what's the difference between a defined benefit pension and a defined contribution pension?   And which one do we have?"

Siiiigh.   I could almost understand it if she were a youngster just starting out, but this is important stuff that is going to affect her REALLY soon!

I will see your uniformed coworkers and I'll raise you....

I had a coworker ask me recently if I thought it would be worthwhile for them to enroll in the company offered 401k.  This coworker is in their mid 40s and has been at the company for 15 years.

Another coworker overheard us and asked, completely sincerely, "wait, do we have to sign up for it?  I never did and they take money out of my paycheck for it every month."   Apparently this coworker was under the impression that the 'benefits' category in their paystub referred to their 401K.  I had to break the news that it was money they were paying for their health insurance.  That coworker has been at the company for over 7 years. 

I have been at this company for a significantly shorter time than both of them and enrolled in the 401K the day my paperwork went through.

Wow, just wow. Insane.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #18274 on: August 23, 2017, 05:45:21 AM »

Not as insane as the $6000 chair that came up in the Overheard on Facebook thread a couple days ago ...

londonstache

• Stubble
« Reply #18275 on: August 23, 2017, 07:31:14 AM »
I have a coworker who's very close to retirement.    Tthe other day, I overheard her ask "Wait, what's the difference between a defined benefit pension and a defined contribution pension?   And which one do we have?"

Siiiigh.   I could almost understand it if she were a youngster just starting out, but this is important stuff that is going to affect her REALLY soon!

I had a coworker ask me recently if I thought it would be worthwhile for them to enroll in the company offered 401k.  This coworker is in their mid 40s and has been at the company for 15 years.

Another coworker overheard us and asked, completely sincerely, "wait, do we have to sign up for it?  I never did and they take money out of my paycheck for it every month."   Apparently this coworker was under the impression that the 'benefits' category in their paystub referred to their 401K.  I had to break the news that it was money they were paying for their health insurance.  That coworker has been at the company for over 7 years. 

I have been at this company for a significantly shorter time than both of them and enrolled in the 401K the day my paperwork went through.

Wow, just wow. Insane.

I work in HR and the level of illiteracy surrounding pensions is astonishing. Our firm makes a (very) generous 10% non-contributory provision towards our UK pension, which is higher than equivalent firms and much better than the norm. However we need to give employees the option to opt out. An employee recently did this and I came back to question, "You do know this is free money?" He explained he didn't know what it meant so he chose to opt out anyway, but would like to opt back in.

I also see the payroll deductions that employees make towards their own pensions and have done in a number of other companies - I reckon that only ~5% of employees are contributing towards their own retirement. Genuinely terrifying.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #18276 on: August 23, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »
I work in HR and the level of illiteracy surrounding pensions is astonishing. Our firm makes a (very) generous 10% non-contributory provision towards our UK pension, which is higher than equivalent firms and much better than the norm. However we need to give employees the option to opt out. An employee recently did this and I came back to question, "You do know this is free money?" He explained he didn't know what it meant so he chose to opt out anyway, but would like to opt back in.

I also see the payroll deductions that employees make towards their own pensions and have done in a number of other companies - I reckon that only ~5% of employees are contributing towards their own retirement. Genuinely terrifying.

Every additional day I'm alive on this plant, my faith in humanity diminishes just a little. How some people are able to even wipe their own ass with their limited mental horsepower is incredible to me.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18277 on: August 23, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »

Every additional day I'm alive on this plant, my faith in humanity diminishes just a little. How some people are able to even wipe their own ass with their limited mental horsepower is incredible to me.
How long have you lived in Texas that you haven't encountered plenty? Or been to other parts of this country?

I'm tellin' you, pardner, that stupidity is spontaneous, contagious, hazardous, and disastrous. The day it is eradicated will be joyous, momentous and miraculous. For that to happen requires tremendous effort by adventurous persons in the pursuit of acquiring knowledge.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:14:47 AM by jinga nation »

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18278 on: August 23, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
CW -  I spent 45 minutes waiting for KFC last night
Me - what? why would you wait that long?
CW - So it took us 35 mins to get through drive through and then when we went to get the food they were like its another 10min wait for original chicken. So had to park up and wait.
Me - Why would you even wait 35 minutes for drive through, I would have seen the line and gone elsewhere or walked in
CW - The line wasn’t that long when we got there. Plus near home there’s only kfc and maccas and we didn’t feel like that. No idea why the line took so long. Then one of the cars in front of us didn’t get his whole order so that took time and obviously our chicken. KFC is always so slow

This coworker eats out almost every night and for lunch as well, cause it's easier and quicker than cooking....

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18279 on: August 23, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »
Reading comment, reading comment, reading comment...

CW - So it took us 35 mins to get through drive through and then when we went to get the food they were like its another 10min wait for original chicken. So had to park up and wait.
Me - Why would you even wait 35 minutes for drive through, I would have seen the line and gone elsewhere or walked in
CW - The line wasn’t that long when we got there. Plus near home there’s only kfc and maccas and we didn’t feel like that. No idea why the line took so long. Then one of the cars in front of us didn’t get his whole order so that took time and obviously our chicken. KFC is always so slow

This coworker eats out almost every night and for lunch as well, cause it's easier and quicker than cooking....

Oh, Australian. *look left to confirm*

One of my colleagues just said, "We've had Uber Eats for dinner the past three nights." So, paying for food and paying for someone to deliver it.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #18280 on: August 24, 2017, 05:27:35 AM »

Wow, just wow. Insane.

My employer offers a weird split 401k "match" where you can get up to a certain percent matched directly out of every paycheck, then the rest of their contribution is deposited as a lump sum once a year. There is no minimum amount to contribute to get the lump sum, you only have to have a company 401k established. The match stays the same, but the lump sum increases over time (at 3, 5, 10, 15, and 20 years). Since you have to have worked the entire previous calendar year to be eligible for the lump sum (a shitty way to rip off new employees' retirement contributions), I was eligible for the first time at the end of 2016. A couple months into 2017, I hadn't seen the money in my account so I started to ask around.

Not a SINGLE person in the office knew what I was talking about. Not. One.
I'm like, "this is XX% of your salary in FREE MONEY deposited to your 401k annually. What do you mean you didn't even know it existed?"

The responses I got ranged from the set-it-and-forget-it mindset of "I just never check my 401k balance," all the way to "I don't have a 401k set up through work. It seemed like too much of a hassle, so I just never did it."

It absolutely baffles me that people can just not care about their money like that. The good news is that our newest hire, straight out of university, seems really interested in saving (and not spending) and we have had some pretty good talks on the subject.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18281 on: August 24, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »
Reading comment, reading comment, reading comment...

Oh, Australian. *look left to confirm*

One of my colleagues just said, "We've had Uber Eats for dinner the past three nights." So, paying for food and paying for someone to deliver it.

It's crazy how much it can cost. A buddy of mine mentioned spending $50 for $22 worth of Chinese takeout that "wasn't all that good," that does include a tip for the driver.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #18282 on: August 24, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
CW & spouse are empty nesters. Spouse has 15 min. commute. CW has 1 hr. commute. Solution: Sell house and move closer to CW’s job, so commutes are semi-equal 30-minute commutes.

So, they put the house on the market, paid movers to move belongings into storage, scrubbed it clean.

Spouse then announces, “Awww, but I LOVE this house!”

House is taken off market. New solution: CW will buy a Tesla, which will drive itself while he gets work done during commute.

Sometimes I wish I had that kind of logic.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18283 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »
New solution: CW will buy a Tesla, which will drive itself while he gets work done during commute.

Please tell your coworker that Telsa's are not autonomous before he kills someone.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18284 on: August 25, 2017, 01:20:50 AM »

That is horrifying. The Tesla idea is genuinely scary. But what gets me is that Spouse knew their feelings on the house before the plan to move, there was no new information provided to cause this change of heart. What an expensive waste of time.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18285 on: August 25, 2017, 05:40:24 AM »

That is horrifying. The Tesla idea is genuinely scary. But what gets me is that Spouse knew their feelings on the house before the plan to move, there was no new information provided to cause this change of heart. What an expensive waste of time.

My guess is that after it was staged to sell it became a peaceful uncluttered space. Wanna bet that stuff never comes out of storage and the house fills up with new stuff? 

Fortunately they didn't fall in love with a new house then decide to keep the old as well.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #18286 on: August 25, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
Fortunately they didn't fall in love with a new house then decide to keep the old as well.

A guy at work did that with cars.

He buys a Mercedes, wife buys an Infiniti. After a couple of months she decides she likes his better so what do they do? Buy another Mercedes. Kept the Infiniti.... 3 luxury cars, 2 drivers.

The best part? He does financial analysis for a living.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18287 on: August 25, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »

A guy at work did that with cars.

He buys a Mercedes, wife buys an Infiniti. After a couple of months she decides she likes his better so what do they do? Buy another Mercedes. Kept the Infiniti.... 3 luxury cars, 2 drivers.

The best part? He does financial analysis POORLY for a living.

*FTFY

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18288 on: August 25, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »
A girl (29 years old) at work wants to get a Camaro as a weekend car. I'm pretty sure she makes $12 an hour, no more than $13 if there was a recent raise.

She has two older cars and wants to trade one of them in for the Camaro plus get a loan. She's not looking for brand new but something very lightly used, only a few years old. So still $10-15k or more. I've tried to hint a couple things like saying I only buy cars cheap enough that I can pay in cash cause I wouldn't be able to make the payment if I lost my job, etc... I've also suggested a 90s Camaro but she's set on the new styling, leather seats, and a very specific trim. She also has bad credit so she needs to get her dad to cosign. On the bright side, since she's so picky she hasn't found the exact perfect one for months now.

This is the same girl who is currently living with her 6 yo at her mom's house because she lost all of her possessions in a fire (including $20k in sneakers supposedly).

It makes me feel a little less ridiculous for wanting a second cheap car but then I think of this forum and all the facepunches I'd get for having two cars even if both are worth under $5000 total.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18289 on: August 25, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
This is the same girl who is currently living with her 6 yo at her mom's house because she lost all of her possessions in a fire (including $20k in sneakers supposedly).

$20k in sneakers!?! Does she have a special pair that drop $100 bills out the back as you walk or something?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #18290 on: August 25, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »
I work for myself now and don't overhear things things at work unless I'm talking to myself... Those conversations are always very mustachian!

This morning I stopped for a doughnut and I overhead one of the cashiers tell her coworker that it's always really busy on Fridays because it's payday. This was met with agreement from several other customers and and expansion to include the first of the month and that it's ever busier if the Friday falls on the 1st of the month! These are just regular old doughnuts selling for a buck. We clearly still have a lot of people to reach.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18291 on: August 25, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »

$20k in sneakers!?! Does she have a special pair that drop $100 bills out the back as you walk or something?

I know professional guys who collect sneakers. A couple have 150-200 pairs, most worn only worn once, stored in their original boxes.

They rationalise it by saying they're making up for not getting the Air Jordans, etc, they wanted as kids.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18292 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:38 PM »
My boss told us that her new bathroom turned out to cost less than she had expected. So she had money left in the extra mortgage that she had taken up for the bathroom. She was wondering whether she should use the money to pay off on the loan or whether she would use it to buy a new sofa. I got the impression that the sofa was by far the most attractive option.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18293 on: August 26, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »

I know professional guys who collect sneakers. A couple have 150-200 pairs, most worn only worn once, stored in their original boxes.

They rationalise it by saying they're making up for not getting the Air Jordans, etc, they wanted as kids.

You know, I rationalize that I have 3 pairs is because I have clumb(?) feet and always make a hole on the right foot shoe sole before they are out-used (if they aren't cheap one-season shoes) so I need to be prepared.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18294 on: August 27, 2017, 09:57:18 PM »
Chatting with a coworker yesterday about our commuting distances. I have an 8 km, 45 minute bus ride to work, while DH has a 1.5 hour subway ride each morning. I mentioned that I may quit my job in two years (after mortgage is paid off), retire early, and move near DH's work. DH's work provides free housing and free private school education for DD, whereas we currently have to pay for our own housing to be closer to my work and pay for private school for DD. My coworker's response? "But it would be such a waste for you not to work!"

Maybe I should have mentioned that I have two sidegigs in progress, that DH's workplace would likely hire me on, and/or that I have one more sidegig that is currently non-operational because I don't have enough time to do it. But I was so flabbergasted that I simply nodded and smiled like a moron. I still haven't figured out what I would be wasting by taking advantage of free housing (worth approx. $USD12,000 per year) and free education (USD$50,000) as well as saving current rent (USD$18,000). Not to mention the non-financial benefits of shorter travel time to work, larger apartment, quieter neighbourhood, etc.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18295 on: August 28, 2017, 12:23:19 AM »
... I mentioned that I may quit my job in two years (after mortgage is paid off), retire early, and move near DH's work. DH's work provides free housing and free private school education for DD, whereas we currently have to pay for our own housing to be closer to my work and pay for private school for DD.

This sounds amazing. Have you run the numbers on doing it now, before the mortgage is paid off?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18296 on: August 28, 2017, 06:20:29 AM »
... I mentioned that I may quit my job in two years (after mortgage is paid off), retire early, and move near DH's work. DH's work provides free housing and free private school education for DD, whereas we currently have to pay for our own housing to be closer to my work and pay for private school for DD.

This sounds amazing. Have you run the numbers on doing it now, before the mortgage is paid off?

Yes, unfortunately, it doesn't make sense now because there are no good preschools near DH's work. Since we have to be in a more central part of the city while DD is in preschool, I might as well work.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #18297 on: August 28, 2017, 08:05:10 AM »
Anyone else hear the craziest things while at work?

Today it was, "Well the commutes gonna be a lot longer, but it was only $100 more per month for a 3 bedroom"

I was chatting with my co-worker Friday.  He and I are both "car guys" but once i found MMM a few months ago, i sold my BMW and got a used honda.  i didn't mention my lifestyle changes to co-workers but he asked about my car and i told him i didn't want to have a 400hp car that was $$$ to maintain and insure, got 10mpg and was absolutely useless in rush hour traffic.

he looked at me like my head was on backwards.  keep in mind he just leased his 3rd luxury car in 7 years (he's had two BMWs and just leased a $70K Audi SUV).  it's also interesting to point out that i know for a fact he makes about 60% less than i do.  oh, and he's single so i am not sure what he's carrying around in that SUV.

Lentils4Lunch

• Stubble
« Reply #18298 on: August 28, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »
oh, and he's single so i am not sure what he's carrying around in that SUV.

Dead bodies, for sure

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18299 on: August 28, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »
Coworker apparently just bought a new puppy.  Not sure what, as I try to avoid asking her personal questions, but she got a 'screaming deal' on it.

Same woman who NEVER has any money.  As in, claims she can't afford to eat.  Her lunch most days is a spoonful or two of peanut butter because that's all she can afford.  I know that between she and her boyfriend, they're pulling around $70,000 in a LCOL area. 

Her story last fall was that her boyfriend's dad is a terrible person because he won't let them stay rent free in his rental property. (Seriously, good on dad for kicking them out...)  They now live in an RV in a KOA for $400/month.  And somehow there's STILL no money left over.

She donated $1000 to the Trump campaign while eating peanut butter for lunch.  Because... priorities?

Bought a new vehicle and traded up twice (to a giant clown truck) while complaining about starving.

Started Primerica and tried to convince me to sign up with them.  Um... we get free life insurance through work.  And a pension.  And access to a 457/401k/IRA... you name it.  She's been to two of their conferences in Atlanta, and keeps throwing more money at it.  Thank dog the boss made her stop wearing her Primerica shirts to work and trying to sign up employees... (She's throwing money at Primerica shirts.  I don't think she's even made enough to pay for those, let alone the conference fees.)

She's also upset that her mom won't let her keep horses on her property and/or kick in some cash now and then.  This woman is in her fucking 40s.

I used to just let her talk, but now I have to avoid her.  Everything she says makes me want to punch her.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!