Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253291 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5600 on: November 28, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »
Wow. It's been a bumper day today. So...

CW1 was talking about renewing her contract for the next quarter in the new year or trying to find other (better paid) work, and whether it was worth taking a risk or staying with the safe job. It's possible she wouldn't find work until February or March (it can be quite seasonal i our field). CW2 was sympathising and, to be honest, so was I. UNTIL she said that she was tempted to stay in this job despite the fact that the schedule and pay suck (I am quitting at Christmas!) because if she didn't find work in January she would have to take out a loan. I was kind of confused and asked what for. CW1 looked at me and said "To pay my rent." WTF??? We work in a very variable, mostly freelance industry and you don't have ONE MONTH of rent saved??? She is an older woman and so must know by now that sometimes you work and sometimes you don't, but it clearly hasn't crossed her mind to be able to plan for when you don't.

It gets worse/better...

CW3 chimes in and talks about how she'd love to do that but can't get a loan because when she was made redundant from her permanent job before taking the casual one here (which she does full time) she has to take an IVA (basically declare bankruptcy). WTF??? So she can't even get a phone contract! I am really hoping that her debts were to do with some life event because she is an older women who seems so sensible and worked the same job at the same company for thirty years before being made redundant.

AND THEN...

CW1 says that she's been thinking of taking out a big loan to consolidate her existing debts (previous underemployment loans perhaps?) and cover her living expenses for a significant period of time to reduce the pressure to find work, and then declaring bankruptcy. WTF??? Is this a life strategy? What happens next time she can't find work for a month? No more loans for her, so she and her little dog will be homeless! Thankfully CW3 advised her that it was a terrible idea because she'll never be able to get credit for anything ever again. And clearly credit is built into her lifestyle.

And then we sat around for half an hour and talked about how horrific the Black Friday sales are and how bizarre it is that people fight each other for televisions at a slight discount when they've no doubt got one at home already. Seriously, I thought CW2 was the one who was bad with money (the one of the 'payday treats' from my earlier post) but I was totally shocked by what I heard today.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5601 on: November 28, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »
Outside my apartment building (two 12 story buildings), there's a food truck a couple of times a week serving people food. I see people buying food at it. It's like loosing the keys between 1,3,5,7, and 9. Just can't even...

There's a food truck that parks near my work. We've even received company e-mails reminding us to go support them. Uh, no thanks.

I'm confused... is it something about food trucks in particular?  Or just fast food in general?  I mean, if I *really* want fast food, I guess I'd rather my $6 go to an entrepreneur than McDonalds.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #5602 on: November 28, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »
Outside my apartment building (two 12 story buildings), there's a food truck a couple of times a week serving people food. I see people buying food at it. It's like loosing the keys between 1,3,5,7, and 9. Just can't even...

There's a food truck that parks near my work. We've even received company e-mails reminding us to go support them. Uh, no thanks.

I'm confused... is it something about food trucks in particular?  Or just fast food in general?  I mean, if I *really* want fast food, I guess I'd rather my $6 go to an entrepreneur than McDonalds.

I was wondering the same because I love food trucks.  We actually make an occasional date night at one of the many food truck events around town here.  All sorts of good food. 
I suspect the problem people have with this is that CWs are religiously buying lunch from these trucks as opposed to the occasional cheapish date (as my wife and I make them).

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #5603 on: November 29, 2014, 09:47:52 AM »
There's a possibility we could go on strike (currently remote, since bargaining hasn't even officially started yet).

Me: "Well, I guess that's a good reason to be sure to save up some extra for the next several months" (hint, hint, c'mon, take the bait, ...please? let's talk about SAVING!)

CW1: "Ha! Not a chance for me, with this new kitchen going in, I'll still be paying off my loans."

CW2: "I could maybe last a month..."

CW1: "That's pretty good!"

CW2" "...because I can take a 'skip-a-payment' mortgage holiday, ha ha ha!"

General merriment ensues, and the talk turns to kitchen renos. Meanwhile, I'm mentally calculating about 5 years living expenses saved up, and probably more like 10-15 years by the time an actual strike could happen (assuming at least 1-2 years before giving up on bargaining). As always, I keep my trap shut, and join in the kitchen talk. Ah well, I tried.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #5604 on: November 30, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
Got into a conversation at work about retirement and investing and such things:

CW: I bought an annuity.
me: oh, what type?
CW: what do you mean?
me: fixed, variable, indexed?
CW: I don't know.

me:can withdraw you funds for an emergency? what are the surrender charges?

me: is it immediate or deferred?
me:How did you end up buying this anyway?
CW: (smug) My financial advisor told me too. (get her, she's got a financial advisor) She specializes in financial planning for women.

me: does she operate on a suitability standard or a fiduciary standard?

me: is she paid by fee from you or by commission when she sells you an investment?
CW: I guess the insurance company pays her.
me: she works for an insurance company?
CW: yes. I think she does this to help her clients.

I didn't go into "why would women need special financial planning? are you sure that isn't a marketing ploy to make you trust her more?" or "do you think she sold this to get a big commission?"

Maybe I'm off base here, I'm no financial wizard, but it seems to that I wouldn't tie up a bunch of money in an investment I didn't understand. And I'm not saying that annuities are always a terrible idea for absolutely everybody. It seems more then a coincidence to me that this person is an insurance agent and also steers folks into a product frequently sold by insurance companies. I guess what blows my mind is that someone would trust their financial future to someone without doing a little intel first.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:59:47 AM by KodeBlue »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5605 on: November 30, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
I guess what blows my mind is that someone would trust their financial future to someone without doing a little intel first.
Get used to it. Thats normal.

There are lots of people who would not give a cent to someone who asks them for it - he could be a swindler.
These people always pay way to much taxes for a bureoracy government that doesnt know how to handle money.
They will guard there money from famaily and never lend a single penny to a friend.
And they will smugly tell you they have a nice advisor and are now insured against hailstorms of flying fish - and that they made a deal because it was on discount!

The name "financial advisor" is like a magic wand - you create believers. Does also work in other fields. Wear a lab coat, garble a bit BS and no one questions what you say.

And these people will stay with their advisor even if he losts them money. Because if they would admit it, they would admit they made an error in choosing him.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5606 on: November 30, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »

I was wondering the same because I love food trucks.  We actually make an occasional date night at one of the many food truck events around town here.  All sorts of good food. 
I suspect the problem people have with this is that CWs are religiously buying lunch from these trucks as opposed to the occasional cheapish date (as my wife and I make them).

I don't have anything against food trucks specifically, though I do wonder sometimes if they have a food handling license. It's just too expensive to make eating out for lunch a weekly habit. I really don't understand the people that eat out every day.

sky_northern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5607 on: November 30, 2014, 03:05:17 PM »
CW complained that the government is garnishing a small portion of her wages. Turns out she didn't file taxes a couple years ago. But she has an accountant that files her taxes, so she is upset that her accountant didn't file them. She mentioned getting some paper work to same accountant for this year taxes. I asked why she doesn't just do them herself, as this guy doesn't seem to be doing a good job. Her taxes would be pretty straight forward- single, no kids, regular job (ie not self employed).  but that would be "to much work, it's easier to get someone else to do it."

I don't get it. I know taxes are a pain in the butt but they aren't hard. and getting someone else to do them is essentially costing her a lot of worry and probably some money right now.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #5608 on: November 30, 2014, 09:22:50 PM »
I took a vacation day on Friday and went in to work yesterday. I must had had at least six people ask me if I took the day off to go shopping, which I of course answered no.  All those conversations were anti-mmm but one stuck out the must.

My coworker is in his late-20's, single, with a newer BMW and recently bought a 3300sq/ft home.

CW: Hey man you took off yesterday to go shopping early?
Me: Oh no not at all, just spent time at home with the family.
CW: But dude Best Buy had a 60inch Panasonic TV for only $200.
Me: That's nice but I have enough TV's at home.(3 total - two over 10 years old and one I got 6 years ago when we bought our home)
CW: Yeah me too but they were only $200 for a 60inch.
Me: So you got one?
CW: Shit I got two, one for the mancave and one for the living room. I spent over $800 yesterday.
Me: I thought those two were nice ones.
Cw: Yeah one's a 47inch and the other one's a 55inch but I'll probably just put one in the garage and one in the weight room.

Like wtf??? How many TV's do you need in a home for a single person???
Why he wouldn't use one of his two ipads for movie/tv watching is beyond me.
I didn't ask what else he bought, I actually felt sick to my stomach.

All those TV's AND he has 2 ipads? Uhhh...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5609 on: November 30, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »
The mancave and the weight room are separate places?

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #5610 on: November 30, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Single and 3,300 square foot house!  Wow. 

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5611 on: December 01, 2014, 01:55:10 AM »

During the winter, my husband actually gets mad at me when I wash his fleece-lined jeans.  "You're washing all the warmth out of them!!"  Meaning, the layer of dirt, grime, and sweat creates another layer and makes them even warmer.  LOL!

Mmmm fleece lined jeans. Those are so not a thing here in the UK but I've looked longingly at them in the ll bean catalogue when we visit Maine. Do they do them for ladies? Of course we have no idea what cold is over here. But fleece...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5612 on: December 01, 2014, 05:47:34 AM »
Single and 3,300 square foot house!  Wow.

Why does a single man need a "cave?"  The whole house is already a man cave

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #5613 on: December 01, 2014, 06:14:08 AM »

During the winter, my husband actually gets mad at me when I wash his fleece-lined jeans.  "You're washing all the warmth out of them!!"  Meaning, the layer of dirt, grime, and sweat creates another layer and makes them even warmer.  LOL!

Mmmm fleece lined jeans. Those are so not a thing here in the UK but I've looked longingly at them in the ll bean catalogue when we visit Maine. Do they do them for ladies? Of course we have no idea what cold is over here. But fleece...

primark do fleece lined tights. like a magical hoodie for your legs. love them!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5614 on: December 01, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »
Dogs need their own room or 2?  I'll have to consult with my dog tonight on this... poor thing has never had his own room, much less 2 rooms.
Going OT a bit here - and I hope with the nested quotes I got the right author.

Dogs don't need any rooms of their own.  They want to be in the same room as you are. That includes the bedroom, the bathroom, the laundry room - I feel like I have a permanent furry bodyguard.

Me too. We call him Mr. Underfoot.

When I did work at an old age home, bowel movements were referred to as BMs.  Hence the joke about the BM degree.  :P

Maybe i'm the only one that got and appreciated the low brow toilet humor.  Keep 'em comin'.

ha, me too!

If I do "overheard at the boyfriends' parents over Thanksgiving" instead of "overheard at work" is that okay? Because they are very sweet people but TOTALLY CRAY about their spending on weird/pointless shit.

Apparently their old (not that old) washing machine "broke" (?? Mom was vague on what actually broke. Knowing them it was most likely quite fixable.) Replaced with brand new LG washer and dryer that seriously look like robots. The washing machine WEIGHS YOUR LAUNDRY and chooses the appropriate load size setting accordingly. Not gonna lie, that's some cool Jetsons shit but people actually pay for this?!!?

We tried telling them about Roku and that they should drop satellite (they don't watch any out of market sports, and already have Amazon Prime, so there would be PLENTY to watch between Roku and OTA). His mom said something about how they can't drop Dish because they need cable internet for his stepdad's work (which is in IT)?! Then bringing his stepdad into the conversation because this made no sense, we find out they already have a BluRay player that basically works like a Roku/smart TV thing, so should be able to watch Amazon Prime content (and maybe some other Internet-based stuff?) on that anyway... but they don't... and they still pay for satellite! Basically his mom has no idea how anything works, but I expect better of his stepdad, who is at least tech-savvy!

Also, on Black Friday we went to this Polish pottery store that she loves and she bought a ton of shit including a double butter dish EVEN THOUGH SHE LITERALLY ALREADY HAS AT LEAST TWO BUTTER DISHES. What do you even do with all those butter dishes?!? (not gonna lie, I did buy an overpriced spoon rest but I've been looking for one for ages and it was a nice western PA souvenir and matches my kitchen). Oh yeah and the pottery store was like 40 minutes away, we drove the most inconvenient route possible and then bf's parents actually drove BACK to that town the next day for more shopping.

Also, his mom doesn't drive, but they still have two cars, a nice newer Kia Sorrento SUV (this is driven for stepdad's super long commute, although at least he carpools with their neighbor/best friend) and slightly older Hyundai sedan (his "mom's car," even though, you know, she doesn't drive). I haven't heard her say this before, but this time she was complaining about how her car was "old" but nothing was wrong with it so they would probably keep it "another 10 years" and she'll "never get another new car". Ahhh!

I hate to rip on them because they are such sweet people and very hospitable to us (letting us borrow a car when we're in town, etc.), but OMG such an exploding volcano of wastefulness that it HURTS. I mean, my parents aren't in amazing financial shape either, but they aren't quite as conspicuously insane. I have no idea how they're paying for all this either, I'm sure his stepdad makes decent money but his mom has been retired for a few years and before that was an admin at a medical school, so I don't think they're rolling in it. It stresses me out just thinking about it!

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #5615 on: December 01, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »
Asked a coworker how his weekend was and got a long story about all the shopping he and his wife are doing for new furniture.  He's in his twenties, the only breadwinner, with two kids under 3 years old, new car and is about to move into his brand new custom built house, which I'm guessing is about 2500 ft2.  Even with young kids, his wife didn't want to move the old furniture into the new house so everything is being replaced.  /*facepalm/

I smiled and said nothing.

This sounds so much like my BIL it's scary. Bought a brand new $40k SUV. Is currently building a brand new custom 2600sqr ft home in the most expensive part of town and still hasn't fixed and listed his current home. (Current price $325k and climbing "the fireplace options were gross")

All this while making between $100-$120k/yr. Leveraged to the eyeballs.

They decided to not put the 20%, they say they had, down on the house because there old furniture is crap. PMI>Old furniture.

The whole reason for the move was to cut the SIL commute down from 1 hr each way. So they picked a location where her commute will only be 20 min BUT the BIL commute will now go from 5 min to 1 hour each way. ??

Sandwiched between all the great news about the new house are comments like "if we don't sell our current house in 6 months we will be bankrupt" "daycare is to expensive in the new area so we will be getting the kids up at 5 am to ride with dad to the current babysitters"

Mind boggling. End rant.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5616 on: December 01, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
I took a vacation day on Friday and went in to work yesterday. I must had had at least six people ask me if I took the day off to go shopping, which I of course answered no.  All those conversations were anti-mmm but one stuck out the must.

My coworker is in his late-20's, single, with a newer BMW and recently bought a 3300sq/ft home.

Me: That's nice but I have enough TV's at home.(3 total - two over 10 years old and one I got 6 years ago when we bought our home)
CW: Shit I got two, one for the mancave and one for the living room. I spent over $800 yesterday.
Cw: Yeah one's a 47inch and the other one's a 55inch but I'll probably just put one in the garage and one in the weight room.

He got two, but spent $800?  I guess the little trick by Best Buy worked...

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #5617 on: December 01, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »

He got two, but spent $800?  I guess the little trick by Best Buy worked...

"Would you like to get the extended warranty? It's only an extra $150 per tv."

I used to work at a Best Buy in college. Hated pushing that stuff, but people bought it. Though stores like Best Buy are only staying alive because of the credit cards they push.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5618 on: December 01, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
I almost thought as much, but what does a BA and MA have to do with math?

Different colleges and universities specify their degrees differently. One of my undergraduate degrees is in Computer Science, but it's a Bachelor of Arts degree for arcane historical reasons. So are the Mathematics degrees from the same school.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5619 on: December 01, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »
[
3.  The spouse has a reimbursement check from work for $40 that he just found.  It's from over a year ago.  He's like, 'Eh.  I'm not going to bother with this.'  I just... I just don't get it.

LOL! That actually came up with someone, though in his defense he works Monday through Saturday and a ton of hours. Thankfully a mutual friend convinced him to sign up with Ally and then since he has a smartphone, there is an option of taking a picture of both sides of the check to deposit it through its app, saving him a trip.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5620 on: December 01, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »

2. A co-worker had made tacos the night before and was complaining about how expensive it was.  It's not the first time she's complained about how cooking is almost as expensive as eating out.  She's a good cook and isn't making lobster every night or anything.  I'm actually not sure how to easily get across the right strategies, like planning for the week so you can use up all of the ingredients or basing the menu on sales.

Depends on what she was making or using. There's a taco truck about half a mile from where I live during the non-frozen months and tacos are $2 each, and are absolutely amazing. Making them at home might save a little bit, but for the amount of work required I generally will go to and grab it from that place, though for me this is a treat.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #5621 on: December 01, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »

Enough TVs to watch two sportsball games at the same time, without missing anything when going to the bathroom.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5622 on: December 01, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »

primark do fleece lined tights. like a magical hoodie for your legs. love them!

Carhartts (not sure if you get that brand in the UK?) do make lined pants for women.  But I cannot agree more about fleece-lined leggings.  I wear those as my second layer during the winter and just take of my jeans when I get home and parade around in the leggings because it's like wearing nothing, only warmer.  :)  So comfy.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5623 on: December 01, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »
On the topic of food trucks: Why are they all so goddamn expensive? They're supposed to be cheap food without a fixed address. Why is a grilled cheese $6? No thanks. (Yes, I'm sure you know of "that one cheap one" but just replace "all" with "most.")

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5624 on: December 01, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »
it was a nice western PA souvenir
Where?  (I grew up in western PA)

Alabaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5625 on: December 01, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
Overheard the team a room over talking about a 'order-by-phone, pick-up at store entrance' convenience application/service they would like to see implemented at ... wait for it... the grocery store.

Alternative ideas included a order by phone app/online and deliver to door service. Again, for groceries.

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #5626 on: December 01, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »
Started a new job a couple weeks ago, and while there are a couple mustachians (two people in my 14 person department bike commute!) I'm already noticing some ridiculousness.
One of my office mates came in with a Quiznos sandwich at lunch the other day, declaring "I'm so sick of the food options here!" (It's a college campus, so there's a Tim Horton's, a Starbucks, the aforementioned Quiznos, a cafeteria and a pub). Before I remembered that add the newbie, I might want to keep my judgmental mouth shut, I asked him why he didn't just bring food from home? I should mention he's purchased food every day I've been there. "Yeah, yeah I should really do that, shouldn't I?" was the response.

Meanwhile, the really lovely staff lounge, complete with floor to ceiling windows, fridge, freezer, microwave, comfy chairs etc. barely gets used! I've had my lunch there every day, at a range of times between 12 and 2, and there's never more than a handful (maybe 5, max) of other people there. Whilst chatting with one of the bike commuters, about the absurdity of buying lunch daily and the wonderfulness of homemade food, I was advised that many people go off campus for lunch - so not only are they buying food, but they're wasting gas (definitely no food options within walking distance) and spending their lunch hour in their car. Great choice.

red7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5627 on: December 01, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »
Overheard the team a room over talking about a 'order-by-phone, pick-up at store entrance' convenience application/service they would like to see implemented at ... wait for it... the grocery store.

Alternative ideas included a order by phone app/online and deliver to door service. Again, for groceries.

You scoff...but one of my jobs is for a prominent grocery store, and they have ALREADY done testing on these ideas. It's coming. My particular store already allows you to make a deli order online, for anything from a sandwich to sliced meats and cheeses to party platters. You just show up at the pick-up time you gave, and there's a special case where they put everything. You walk over, pick it up, pay for it, and go.

There are 2-3 stores in (wealthier parts of) my metro area that are currently testing online ordering and outside pick up for entire grocery lists. From what I've heard, the biggest issue is making sure everything on the list is specific enough that the grocery clerk is selecting the exact items the customer wants. Also, people are picky about their produce.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5628 on: December 01, 2014, 08:27:34 PM »

I would actually love that service and would even pay for it. With a brand new baby in hand and back to work, I'm sleep deprived and would gladly out source grocery shopping if it meant I didn't have to pack a screaming baby just to get milk.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5629 on: December 01, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »

Some supermarkets in the UK offer free delivery if you spend more than a certain amount. It's been around for over a decade.

Artemis67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5630 on: December 01, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »

Here in Seattle, Safeway has online ordering for home delivery (for a fee). I use it maybe 3-4 times a year when I'm racing to a deadline, there's no fresh food in the house, and going out for groceries would require bathing, clean clothes, and a brittle veneer of civility. Sometimes, that's just too much work, man.

We also have Amazon Fresh, which not only delivers groceries, but also a limited selection of books, clothing, and household items. Amazon Fresh's grocery prices are too high to justify using regularly, but they do carry the only cat litter my one declawed cat* will happily use, and Safeway doesn't. So I use them maybe once a year, in a pinch.

I'm sure there are apps for both of these services, but I don't use them enough to download them.

[/foam]

* He came already-declawed; I wouldn't do that to a cat.

jordanread

« Reply #5631 on: December 01, 2014, 09:11:37 PM »

Also don't forget that some people have issues sticking to the list, and end up spending more on crap. It might not be for us mustachians, but it could be a good intermediate step for those who can't quite get that impulse thing down. Imagine how much they would save by only getting the things they originally came for!

Just read a few articles on the sneakiness of marketing in grocery stores.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5632 on: December 01, 2014, 09:28:29 PM »
On the topic of food trucks: Why are they all so goddamn expensive? They're supposed to be cheap food without a fixed address. Why is a grilled cheese $6? No thanks. (Yes, I'm sure you know of "that one cheap one" but just replace "all" with "most.")

I don't often eat at food trucks, but when I do I'm ok to pay well for good food.

A local (Edit - local  from my old city) truck posted this. I appreciate it.
https://gorillacheese.wordpress.com/2014/10/03/10-bucks-for-a-grilled-cheese/

Tl;dr - grilled cheese for $10 also includes other ingredients like bacon, apples and maple syrup, is 2x as big as a homemade one and has better quality cheese and bread.

The simpler cheap "kid" one from that truck uses a local-made processed cheese that's 51% milk instead of 18% and fresh locally made bread for example.

I'm not saying every food truck is like that, but if I'm gonna buy a sandwich I'm getting the better-quality one instead of paying to sit in a restaurant for lousy quality.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:36:38 PM by MBot »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5633 on: December 01, 2014, 09:36:31 PM »

Hmmm.  I've been doing this for about a year. It started with a broken leg and was a godsend while I was housebound. They even carried it up my stairs for me. I kept doing it because it taught me how to plan meals and kept me from wasting food.   I started with pea pod by giant, but about 5 months ago, a few new services started that let you order and get your stuff within 2 hours!  Instacart!  Love it. They send their people out to Costco, Safeway, Harris teeter, whole foods. And two hours later they're delivering a case of Kim Crawford Sauvignon blanc to my door and a rotisserie chicken, enough toilet paper for an army, and a month's supply of kitty litter..I love it. Guess what?  It allows me to finish up another hour of work rather than spending time driving to/from fighting crowds, etc. it costs about 3.99 for delivery and the food is usually uncharged too, but in that one hour, I'll make  about $185. So why do we make people feel guilty for these choices? 

sugarsnap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5634 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:15 PM »
We have some local grocery stores that do this. I've used it a few times when I was super sick but still needed food for my family. (Using promo codes to get the $5 convenience fee waived of course.)

It's at a more expensive grocery chain in town, but it was nice shopping online where I could take my time sort by price per ounce on each item. Shopping with small kids leads to some rushed purchases at time.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5635 on: December 01, 2014, 09:52:35 PM »

I do this.

I hate grocery shopping, and the stores here deliver for free if you buy more than $100 worth of groceries. Why wouldn't I get someone else to walk around and pick the items off the shelf for me and deliver it to my door? Them driving to my place doesn't kill the environment any more than me driving to their "place", and I get a free 2 hours at home to paint. Or clean. Or do nothing.

Plus I find I'm much less likely to impulse buy if I order online. Enter the items on the list, pay, that's it. When I go shopping there's always "one little thing" that sneaks its way into my shopping trolley. Sneaky little buggers!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5636 on: December 01, 2014, 10:18:12 PM »

Hmmm.  I've been doing this for about a year. It started with a broken leg and was a godsend while I was housebound. They even carried it up my stairs for me. I kept doing it because it taught me how to plan meals and kept me from wasting food.   I started with pea pod by giant, but about 5 months ago, a few new services started that let you order and get your stuff within 2 hours!  Instacart!  Love it. They send their people out to Costco, Safeway, Harris teeter, whole foods. And two hours later they're delivering a case of Kim Crawford Sauvignon blanc to my door and a rotisserie chicken, enough toilet paper for an army, and a month's supply of kitty litter..I love it. Guess what?  It allows me to finish up another hour of work rather than spending time driving to/from fighting crowds, etc. it costs about 3.99 for delivery and the food is usually uncharged too, but in that one hour, I'll make  about $185. So why do we make people feel guilty for these choices?

It makes it hard to know what a great price is, for bulk buying.  The first couple of months, you still know from before, but most people just click on what they want without going for the real discounts. 

After all, the ethnic stores aren't doing this.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5637 on: December 02, 2014, 01:31:17 AM »
Ummm, that already exists. If it exists in rural Australia, I'm sure it exists in America.

I use it when I'm buying soft drink (soda?) or bulk stuff I can't take on my bike.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:32:55 AM by Nudelkopf »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5638 on: December 02, 2014, 02:51:40 AM »

Yup, already working for years in the UK.  I live 15 miles from the nearest supermarket, and can get a next-day delivery of an internet order for £1 if I time it right.  I use it for bulk supplies for my house and for a household which has two disabled people in their nineties.  The saving of time and effort is priceless.

The scheme is so successful it is beginning to change the way supermarkets here are working - fewer people doing the big weekly shop in store, presumably as they get bulk items delivered, and the focus moving to smaller stores providing fresh food picked up more often.

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5639 on: December 02, 2014, 04:08:18 AM »

This is actually getting big where I live, and it is really not that expensive. I would take me like 10 minute overtime work a week to pay for something that will save me at least 1 hours of dreadfull groceryshopping. All favorutie items are ready in the list and to add things to the list takes seconds, compared to walking around the horrible groceryshops, looking for the items and standing in ques. I would easily pay the small fee to be able to do a week worth of grocery shopping in 5 minutes instead of one hour spent in a stressfull shop. I have more valuble things to use my time on :)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5640 on: December 02, 2014, 06:27:35 AM »

I have never done this but several of the local stores have pick up lanes out front, presumably the people ordered online and are picking it up.  From my very unscientific observations it seems to be older people mainly using it.  My grandparents can still drive and get around but grandpa cant walk to well and does not like the electric carts so this might be a good option; well the grandparents dont always do well with them internets but grandmas pointing and clicking is getting better.  Also I had some real foot problems years ago and probably would have done this if it were available then.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5641 on: December 02, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »
This grocery thing is awesome.  I live right by my store but i would think it could be a free service.  Employees could be gathering the items during slower times and it would just be drive up put in car and leave.  Even if its a buck it could be worth it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5642 on: December 02, 2014, 06:54:46 AM »

I don't often eat at food trucks, but when I do I'm ok to pay well for good food.

Tl;dr - grilled cheese for $10 also includes other ingredients like bacon, apples and maple syrup, is 2x as big as a homemade one and has better quality cheese and bread.

The simpler cheap "kid" one from that truck uses a local-made processed cheese that's 51% milk instead of 18% and fresh locally made bread for example.

I'm not saying every food truck is like that, but if I'm gonna buy a sandwich I'm getting the better-quality one instead of paying to sit in a restaurant for lousy quality.

It costs me less than 2$ to make a LOAF of artisanal bread.  A handful of excellent quality cheese is what . . . 50 cents?  Bacon, apples, and maple syrup do not belong on a grilled cheese in my books, but at best you're adding a buck to the costs.

It's a tremendous rip-off no matter what way you look at it.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5643 on: December 02, 2014, 08:01:41 AM »

It costs me less than 2$ to make a LOAF of artisanal bread.  A handful of excellent quality cheese is what . . . 50 cents?  Bacon, apples, and maple syrup do not belong on a grilled cheese in my books, but at best you're adding a buck to the costs.

It's a tremendous rip-off no matter what way you look at it.

I would think the truck guy needs to charge higher prices not only for better quality items but the fact he doesn't have the volume on his fancy menu to make a decent living off of lower profit margins.  Does cheaper truck guy have a larger volume for more standard fare or is he making less of a living with lower margins?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5644 on: December 02, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »
I know this is just going further off topic and people are going to get pissed, but I figured I might as well join in.

Bacon, apples, and maple syrup do not belong on a grilled cheese in my books, but at best you're adding a buck to the costs.

GuitarStv, I agree with your calculations but must say you are robbing yourself of a tremendous grilled cheese experience. Bacon and/or apples (not simultaneously) are two of the best things to ever happen to grilled cheese!!! Mmmm...salivating now.

This whole grocery store conversation is very interesting to me because I actually kind of ENJOY grocery shopping. Not enough that I want to go every day, which was actually becoming our tendency after my boyfriend and I moved in together (thankfully now it's more like 2-3x a week, still working on decreasing), but I definitely don't hate it. I'm sure this would change if I had little kids though.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5645 on: December 02, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »

I've been tempted, but always balk at paying someone for doing something I can do myself. And here it doesn't seem that cheap. For basic grocery delivery it seems to be $8 and up. (or $100 for a year). Or if they pack it and I pick it up it's $3. I swear that used to be free and I considered using it but now it's 3 bucks no matter what. I'm already at the store, and I'd pay someone $3 to walk through it for me? nah.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #5646 on: December 02, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »
Safeway delivers for free where I am provided you purchase a minimum amount, I think $200. Ordering online allows you to get exactly what you want and better control your spending since it tallies your cart total as you add items. Plus you save all the time and energy/gas to travel to the store.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5647 on: December 02, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »
After all, the ethnic stores aren't doing this.

This is the main problem, only expensive stores do this from what I've seen.  I live in Safeway territory, which a couple people have mentioned, and I avoid that store like the plague.  People have come to accept their prices as normal around here, which they are far from.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #5648 on: December 02, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »

With this logic, why not outsource everything?  Mowing the lawn, housecleaning, laundry, simple house repairs, food prep, etc?  After all, I can make more doing my one specialty thing then I can save doing those other things. 

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5649 on: December 02, 2014, 11:49:22 AM »

With this logic, why not outsource everything?  Mowing the lawn, housecleaning, laundry, simple house repairs, food prep, etc?  After all, I can make more doing my one specialty thing then I can save doing those other things.

Some people argue that, but the type of job where that makes sense seems rare. If you have that kind of job, awesome, if not, it may be time to reevaluate.

Most people have a set amount of hours to work or a salary, where paying someone to mow your lawn is definitely a net loss of money. Not to mention it might impact your FI number by raising your costs of living. Also, for me, I dislike work more than I dislike mowing the lawn. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!