Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252997 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17450 on: May 15, 2017, 01:25:50 PM »
Not everyone is well suited to own a gun no matter the training. they might be able to operate it but not have the will to use it. And thus the recommendation to have that noisy dog. I still think alot of us are perfectly safe just because of where we choose to live with that noisy dog.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17451 on: May 15, 2017, 01:49:37 PM »
Lets keep the gun foam out of this thread--I don't want to read the impending arguments back and forth.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17452 on: May 15, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
Sorry, wasn't advocating for gun ownership (no desire to rehash that never-ending argument), just for not relying on 911 to save your life.  Lots of ways to be safe(er).  Having a loud dog is one.  Though I wouldn't say hiding in a closet is one.  There are just a lot of people under the impression that the police are there to save you from getting hurt/killed, and if someone is breaking into their house to get them, that they'll be ok because they keep their phone by their bed and have 911 on speed dial.  I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the police getting their in time to change the outcome is very rarely the case.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17453 on: May 15, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »
Me: I don't usually go to Starbucks but I bought some discounted Starbucks gift cards last year for half off. Now it makes me realize how bad my Mr. coffee at home is, it burns the coffee! The Starbucks coffee tastes so much better.
CW: that's why we have have a Nespresso machine at home. The coffee it makes tastes so good! You need to get one
Me: they are pricey, aren't they?
CW: its like $300, but it's worth it the coffee tastes so good. If you go to Starbucks everyday before work it will cost x dollars per month and that turns into over a thousand per year! It's smart to get the nespresso machine!! Such a good deal!

Anyway despite having a fancy $300 coffee maker, the dude still buys coffee at the work cafe each morning at work, drinks half of it, then complains how shitty the cafe coffee is and throws it out. Why did he buy a fancy coffee machine again? As for me, I don't actually go to Starbucks everyday, I usually make my own coffee at home so buying a fancy machine won't save a thousand dollars like this dumbass claims. Instead I'm going to invest $15 in a French press.

It amuses me how this CW always seems to pick one of the most expensive solutions, doesn't actually use the thing he bought, but calls himself smart for saving money because he could think of more ways he could've made it even more expensive!

Pro tip: each thing you don't buy is like getting it for 100% off. What a deal!

Freedom Invested

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17454 on: May 15, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
Me: I don't usually go to Starbucks but I bought some discounted Starbucks gift cards last year for half off. Now it makes me realize how bad my Mr. coffee at home is, it burns the coffee! The Starbucks coffee tastes so much better.
CW: that's why we have have a Nespresso machine at home. The coffee it makes tastes so good! You need to get one
CW: its like $300, but it's worth it the coffee tastes so good. If you go to Starbucks everyday before work it will cost x dollars per month and that turns into over a thousand per year! It's smart to get the nespresso machine!! Such a good deal!

Anyway despite having a fancy $300 coffee maker, the dude still buys coffee at the work cafe each morning at work, drinks half of it, then complains how shitty the cafe coffee is and throws it out. Why did he buy a fancy coffee machine again? As for me, I don't actually go to Starbucks everyday, I usually make my own coffee at home so buying a fancy machine won't save a thousand dollars like this dumbass claims. Instead I'm going to invest $15 in a French press.

It amuses me how this CW always seems to pick one of the most expensive solutions, doesn't actually use the thing he bought, but calls himself smart for saving money because he could think of more ways he could've made it even more expensive!

I was almost on board with his $300 coffee machine until you said he doesn't use it frequently and buys coffee (and wastes it) anyway. It sounds like he just wants a chance to look impressive. Quality possessions can be okay if you use them, understand what they're doing for you, and properly maintain them.

Yep, discounts are often not so - maybe don't buy the thing at all. Waiting a couple of years after a release of a game you wanted anyway is definitely a good buy! Especially because they have likely worked out a lot of bugs.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17455 on: May 15, 2017, 11:02:41 PM »

I was almost on board with his $300 coffee machine until you said he doesn't use it frequently and buys coffee (and wastes it) anyway. It sounds like he just wants a chance to look impressive. Quality possessions can be okay if you use them, understand what they're doing for you, and properly maintain them.

This is exactly what makes it so idiotic. The guy loves spending money and has reasons on why he spent so much for something that doesn't really serve any value other than showing off.

It kind of reminds me of 2 other coworkers,  neither of whom ever cook, each bought $500 vitamix blenders over a year ago and have never used them. They are literally sitting in boxes after buying them as a "deal" at Costco. It kills me because I cook everyday and use my $100 cuisinart food processor on a daily basis, it is the workhorse of my kitchen. I would love a vitamix but haven't bought one myself due to the cost. I have mentioned to both coworkers I could give the blenders a good home since they never use them, or will buy it from them at a discount, but both maintain that they can't get rid of them because they plan on using them one day. Because if you haven't opened the box of a brand new item in over a year, apparently the odds of ever using it is still pretty high in their minds.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17456 on: May 16, 2017, 01:01:54 AM »

This is exactly what makes it so idiotic. The guy loves spending money and has reasons on why he spent so much for something that doesn't really serve any value other than showing off.

It kind of reminds me of 2 other coworkers,  neither of whom ever cook, each bought $500 vitamix blenders over a year ago and have never used them. They are literally sitting in boxes after buying them as a "deal" at Costco. It kills me because I cook everyday and use my $100 cuisinart food processor on a daily basis, it is the workhorse of my kitchen. I would love a vitamix but haven't bought one myself due to the cost. I have mentioned to both coworkers I could give the blenders a good home since they never use them, or will buy it from them at a discount, but both maintain that they can't get rid of them because they plan on using them one day. Because if you haven't opened the box of a brand new item in over a year, apparently the odds of ever using it is still pretty high in their minds.

This is very silly, indeed. It is understandable that people sometimes pay a fortune for a top quality product if they really enjoy the use of it and think it's worth it. But to leave it in a box on a shelf, without ever using is just plain stupid and such a waste.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17457 on: May 16, 2017, 01:10:36 AM »
Because if you haven't opened the box of a brand new item in over a year, apparently the odds of ever using it is still pretty high in their minds.
Well known psychological problem. If they gave those things away they would admit the had done an (costly) error. Cannot be!

That is liek the speculatorrs pumping money in again and again because the stocl has to rise, especially now that it has fallen again!
Or players. The 17 has to fall, it is overdue!!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #17458 on: May 16, 2017, 02:32:55 AM »
Sorry, wasn't advocating for gun ownership (no desire to rehash that never-ending argument), just for not relying on 911 to save your life.  Lots of ways to be safe(er).  Having a loud dog is one.  Though I wouldn't say hiding in a closet is one.  There are just a lot of people under the impression that the police are there to save you from getting hurt/killed, and if someone is breaking into their house to get them, that they'll be ok because they keep their phone by their bed and have 911 on speed dial.  I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the police getting their in time to change the outcome is very rarely the case.

Actually - for myself and family - I agree totally with you. Plus the noisy dog who is in reality a big chicken. But I still want to argue about something!

Sweet pickles or dill?

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17459 on: May 16, 2017, 07:21:56 AM »

These all remind me of a colleague, he bought a kitchenaid professional 600 it around $300-400 last year for his wife and he told me that he even bought extra attachments which are like $250. He recently tells me when I ask him about it "oh that thing we are using it store bananas or keys and I have used the bowl to east cereal at times"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:50:05 AM by Abooki »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17460 on: May 16, 2017, 07:38:38 AM »
These all remind me of a colleague, he bought a kitchenaid professional 600 it around $300-400 last year for his wife and he told me that he even bought extra attachments which are like $250. He recently tells me when I ask him about it "oh that thing we are using it store bananas or kids and I have used the bowl to east cereal at times"

They eat cereal out of a mixer bowl?  How obese are these people?  Or does he mean that they all share the one bowl? In which case, yuck.

That goes well beyond simple anti-mustachianism territory.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17461 on: May 16, 2017, 07:53:54 AM »
DOH!   I just learned why they're called Buffalo Wings.    I always thought wtf, who thinks buffalos have wings.

Count me in as a second person who learned something today! I always wondered the same thing, but chalked it up to the same nonsense as someone wanting to eat wings to begin with. Then again, I'm not into skin, gristle, or bone, so I can't relate to someone who wants to eat something that is primarily skin, gristle, and bone.
The beauty of Wings is not in eating the chicken parts.  They are merely a blue-cheese-delivery mechanism.

This isn't the place for it, but this is blasphemous talk. Many Wing purists judge based on the sauce on the wing itself, the quality of the chicken, or the crispy-ness of the wing. Realize that the "blue cheese delivery" opinion is merely one school of thought on wings, and arguably a lower rung on the ladder since a piece of celery could hold the same function.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17462 on: May 16, 2017, 07:55:09 AM »
These all remind me of a colleague, he bought a kitchenaid professional 600 it around $300-400 last year for his wife and he told me that he even bought extra attachments which are like $250. He recently tells me when I ask him about it "oh that thing we are using it store bananas or kids and I have used the bowl to east cereal at times"

They eat cereal out of a mixer bowl?  How obese are these people?  Or does he mean that they all share the one bowl? In which case, yuck.

My thought exactly- you could probably fit half a box of cereal + milk in a bowl that big, if not more.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17463 on: May 16, 2017, 07:56:38 AM »

My thought exactly- you could probably fit half a box of cereal + milk in a bowl that big, if not more.

Maybe it was the only clean bowl?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17464 on: May 16, 2017, 08:09:06 AM »

I can defend the use of comically large bowls for single meals.  I have more than once eaten a salad out of a 6 quart mixing bowl.  I'm not saying that there wasn't a better way of doing that, but it's far from a completely insane thing to do.  Granted I'm talking about a plain-Jane stainless steel mixing bowl, not some accessory for a fancypants kitchen appliance.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17465 on: May 16, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »

Omg people who spend ludicrous amounts on kitchen gear they don't use... ARGH.

I'll defend semi-ludicrous amounts on well-used kitchen gear - our 150$ espresso maker, used minimum 2-3 times per day for 5 years, just gave out. My food processor was a (very generous) present from my parents 16 years ago, and is used minimum 4 times a week since then. My kitchenaid mixer (no attachments, bought on sale for under 200$ 7 years ago) gets used 3-4 times a week and kneads all our bread (good lord never get the attachments, they're all more expensive than buying uni-task machines that do the same thing!!) Like. There's a time and place for excellent quality kitchen gear that is super well used, and if it means a lower grocery budget, an easier time in the kitchen (with kids underfoot, and a deadline for dinner time, ease matters), and no restaurant/coffee/take-out expenses.

But that unused vitamix?? You could buy a really good bike for that amount!! If you use it 2x a day for years and years, ok fine, I can see the appeal of a high-quality item you get value from. But the waste! The expense! And the CLUTTER!! These people must have more storage space than I do, because no way do I have space for an appliance I don't use.

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17466 on: May 16, 2017, 08:48:31 AM »
These all remind me of a colleague, he bought a kitchenaid professional 600 it around $300-400 last year for his wife and he told me that he even bought extra attachments which are like $250. He recently tells me when I ask him about it "oh that thing we are using it store bananas or keys and I have used the bowl to east cereal at times"

I can defend the use of comically large bowls for single meals.  I have more than once eaten a salad out of a 6 quart mixing bowl.  I'm not saying that there wasn't a better way of doing that, but it's far from a completely insane thing to do.  Granted I'm talking about a plain-Jane stainless steel mixing bowl, not some accessory for a fancypants kitchen appliance.

Oh when I asked him about it. He said that he doesn't know where the bowls at their house go. And then he goes ahead and says "I think I threw one out(the bowls) once by mistake  since I was using a disposable spoon and may have thrown it out with the bowl"  Me: *silently flabbergasted*
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:51:08 AM by Abooki »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17467 on: May 16, 2017, 09:10:06 AM »

Oh when I asked him about it. He said that he doesn't know where the bowls at their house go. And then he goes ahead and says "I think I threw one out(the bowls) once by mistake  since I was using a disposable spoon and may have thrown it out with the bowl"  Me: *silently flabbergasted*
Alright, that one I certainly won't defend.  Gross.

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17468 on: May 16, 2017, 09:16:52 AM »

But I am with you on the 6 quart mixing bowl(was $5 dollars at walmart)- I have used mine for eating a salad- provides more room.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17469 on: May 16, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
Don't knock the giant bowl for cereal eating. Easier to balance in your lap while eating on the couch/recliner.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17470 on: May 16, 2017, 09:45:36 AM »
Actually - for myself and family - I agree totally with you. Plus the noisy dog who is in reality a big chicken. But I still want to argue about something!

Sweet pickles or dill?

Eww, pickles

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17471 on: May 16, 2017, 12:05:49 PM »
Yeesh, and I thought it was frustrating when my toddlers have done that.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17472 on: May 16, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »

But I am with you on the 6 quart mixing bowl(was $5 dollars at walmart)- I have used mine for eating a salad- provides more room.

I can't remember the last time I made/ate salad in anything other than a mixing bowl.  Ordinary bowls are simply too small.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17473 on: May 17, 2017, 04:50:00 AM »

CW should invest in a 2nd nespresso machine for work.  Seriously, I do have access to one at work, and am thinking of buying their base $99 model when I transfer to a new office.

Speaking of transferring, I am this summer; reporting to my new office in September.  It is a work paid transfer so I had my call with HR yesterday to have my briefing, I've been through the process before but there are a lot of benefits and things changes slightly every year.

Apparently I'm one of the few people who read the briefing material before the briefing phone call.  Lets see it could easily about a $70,000+ of benefit to me, yes I'm going to study the policy so I can actually figure out if I have real questions.  (which I did about things that I might not have asked if it was the first time I'd thought about the technical side of the move.) 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:55:30 AM by neverrun »

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17474 on: May 17, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »

This is a very important point that is missed by many.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17475 on: May 17, 2017, 02:33:01 PM »

Even better, that's post-tax money!

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17476 on: May 17, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »

This is one thing I've tried and I think succeeded in teaching my child. A corollary is that something is only a sale if you were going to buy it anyway. A person who buys 2x the amount because it is 25% off actually saved -50%.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17477 on: May 17, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »

This is one thing I've tried and I think succeeded in teaching my child. A corollary is that something is only a sale if you were going to buy it anyway. A person who buys 2x the amount because it is 25% off actually saved -50%.
Something is only a sale if you were going to buy it anyway at that price.  Pair of jeans cost $50, but they're 60% off! so I buy them.  How much did I save?  Actually nothing, because I'd never pay more than $20 for jeans.  I should have gone to a thrift shop :P

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #17478 on: May 17, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »

Something is only a sale if you were going to buy it anyway at that price.  Pair of jeans cost $50, but they're 60% off! so I buy them.  How much did I save?  Actually nothing, because I'd never pay more than $20 for jeans.  I should have gone to a thrift shop :P

This sort of works, but only with certain purchases. A good price is a good price and anticipating your needs is a really good skill to have in your financial toolbox.

If toilet paper is 60% off then you should buy two when you would ordinarily buy one because you will still need it when you run out.

Similarly, a $50 pair of jeans that are higher quality than the $20 pair would need to be replaced after a longer period of time. Getting them at 60% off before you need the pair (within reason - don't buy years ahead here people) isn't a bad thing. But I agree, thrift shops can be good for this too if you're willing to shift for quality and find a pair that were originally $50 - but then aren't you exchanging a discounted price for wear and tear full price?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17479 on: May 17, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »

This sort of works, but only with certain purchases. A good price is a good price and anticipating your needs is a really good skill to have in your financial toolbox.

If toilet paper is 60% off then you should buy two when you would ordinarily buy one because you will still need it when you run out.

Two? could you tell my wife? We have Over 70 rolls of paper towel and 500+ rolls of toilet paper stacked in the kids old bedroom. It's not really a complaint though, I'm sure they were on sale and she had a coupon and then probably 2 for the price of one. She's pretty sharp when it comes to getting a deal.
 My complaint is, when the kids come home she stocks thm up with
paper products whether they want it or not. :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17480 on: May 18, 2017, 03:37:00 AM »

Two? could you tell my wife? We have Over 70 rolls of paper towel and 500+ rolls of toilet paper stacked in the kids old bedroom. It's not really a complaint though, I'm sure they were on sale and she had a coupon and then probably 2 for the price of one. She's pretty sharp when it comes to getting a deal.
 My complaint is, when the kids come home she stocks thm up with
paper products whether they want it or not. :-)

Indeed, this is what MMM wrote a column about once. When stuff you use is on sale, buy not just two, but buy bulk.
I have started doing this for groceries, like buying a lot of coconut milk when it is on discount. I regret only buying 2 deodorants on the sale last time. I figured the nest sale would be sooner, but it had different brands, so I had to improvise with buying another brand on sale.

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
« Reply #17481 on: May 18, 2017, 07:09:14 AM »
A person who buys 2x the amount because it is 25% off actually saved -50%.

Wut??

If you buy 4x the amount do you save -100% (get it for free)?
If you buy 5x the amount do you save -125% (have someone pay to take it off your hands)?

NO, you're still only saving 25%.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:13:50 AM by runewell »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17482 on: May 18, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »

Wut??

If you buy 5x the amount do you save -125% (have someone pay to take it off your hands)?

I read this as a minus 50% saving, ie a 50% overspend.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17483 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »

Wut??

Exactly - original quote was in the context of "sale price entices you to buy more than you need"

Math is as follows: 1x at 25% off costs 75%.  Buying 2x therefore costs 150%.  You paid 50% more!

4x is actually way worse, -200%.  5x is -275%.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17484 on: May 18, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »

Wut??

Exactly - original quote was in the context of "sale price entices you to buy more than you need"

Math is as follows: 1x at 25% off costs 75%.  Buying 2x therefore costs 150%.  You paid 50% more!

4x is actually way worse, -200%.  5x is -275%.
Counterpoint:  if you know you'll use them, and the discount is steep.  I recently bought two pairs of Firehose pants at a pretty steep discount.  I know I'll use them basically until they wear out, then I'll return them for free replacements (just pay $7 shipping).  Of course, I *was* planning on buying them already, and was just waiting for the best sale price. 

Which brings up a question:  if I know I'm going to buy something, but am waiting until it goes on sale, am I really saving money if I buy it when it finally goes on sale?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17485 on: May 18, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
zolotiyeruki - the full original quote that was cut down to 1 sentence by runewell is this:

Your pants example does not qualify - you were going to buy pants anyway.

TaraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • my journal
« Reply #17486 on: May 18, 2017, 01:02:41 PM »
(I've been diligently reading this thread for 2 days, but I must chime in)

65-ish y/o coworker (technically my employee)- when we were being switched from one retirement company to another at year-end: Oh I don't know what to do for my account, I'll just keep doing what I did at (Old retirement company)- put it all in a money market.

Me: *picks jaw up off the floor and immediately texts savvy mother*

The same coworker pays for a $14K life insurance policy on herself. One of her kids is a physician, the other is some kind of professional. Our company offers 2X annual salary life insurance for FREE and her kids are well-employed....so why do you need to pay for extra life insurance?!

Also- at year-end they switched us from biweekly pay to weekly pay, and a few people freaked out.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #17487 on: May 18, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »

Also- at year-end they switched us from biweekly pay to weekly pay, and a few people freaked out.

Why did they freak? They couldn't budget a weekly paycheck well enough to cover their end of month expenses?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17488 on: May 18, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »
Wore a Denali jacket to work last week.

Colleague: I love your jacket!
Me: Thank you.
Colleague: No, I really love it! I have to buy one. Where did you get it?
Me: Anaconda... six years ago.
Colleague: What? And you're still wearing it?
Me: ... yes.
Colleague: Oh I'd never keep something for that long.

Well, I do. It was $80 and after six years, 10 countries and a lot of festivals and events, it still looks like new apart from the tab missing on one sleeve zipper.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17489 on: May 18, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »
I had a GoLite jacket like that- I wore it backpacking, to work, everywhere for ~6 years. I even had to re-waterproof it twice. Eventually I got some holes in it, so I threw it away. I figured 6-7 years of use was pretty good.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17490 on: May 18, 2017, 08:10:43 PM »
for some strange reason my CW feels the need to give updates as to when the planned conception date of his first child will be. I have never asked for this information btw. Anyways, his wife is demanding a baby but they decided not to try until next year because it will be better financially. Wife doesn't work and CW is in a new job he sucks at and really should be fired from, and he knows full well our boss doesn't like him.  they are currently getting a living stipend from their elderly parents because CW's salary apparently is not enough to support their combined spending habits, but this is supposed to be the last year for realz about the living stipend, they are supposed to get cut off and be on their own next year so they need to save more.

CW's wife's best friend accidentally got pregnant by some guy she just started dating. The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

Reason and financial preparation: out the window!

But in reality, I'm sure CW knows the living stipend from the family will just get extended so no big deal. Free money!

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #17491 on: May 19, 2017, 02:30:57 AM »

The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

This has to be the most absurd thing I have heard in a long long time!!! Seriously can't believe it. How is having a children  before a friend important unless they are contenders for crown of any sovereign?

Any here's my contribution to the mix.
CW was telling me how he is unable to save enough because the expenses can simply not be reduced. One question lead to another before I was blessed with two very sage advice
1. You should always buy a house for future even if it is beyond your purse because your income will keep on growing.
2. No mortgage should be below 30 years so that the EMI doesn't pinch as much and you can save maximum tax on the interest you pay.

The same CW told us how wise his decision to top up his personal loan (~9-10%) to pay for his marriage was instead of taking a personal loan (12-14%).

The same person has asked us multiple times how we manage to travel extensively without breaking bank. His 'honey moon' was 10 days in India was more expensive(~1700$) than our week long trip to Indonesia and we paid around 7-800$ in international flights and lived in quite fancy(for us) accomodation.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17492 on: May 19, 2017, 02:37:36 AM »
for some strange reason my CW feels the need to give updates as to when the planned conception date of his first child will be. I have never asked for this information btw. Anyways, his wife is demanding a baby but they decided not to try until next year because it will be better financially. Wife doesn't work and CW is in a new job he sucks at and really should be fired from, and he knows full well our boss doesn't like him.  they are currently getting a living stipend from their elderly parents because CW's salary apparently is not enough to support their combined spending habits, but this is supposed to be the last year for realz about the living stipend, they are supposed to get cut off and be on their own next year so they need to save more.

CW's wife's best friend accidentally got pregnant by some guy she just started dating. The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

Reason and financial preparation: out the window!

But in reality, I'm sure CW knows the living stipend from the family will just get extended so no big deal. Free money!

I'm trying to cut back my use of the word hate because I think we throw it about too much.

But I mean it when I say I now HATE these people.

JDFW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17493 on: May 19, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
Wife doesn't work and CW is in a new job he sucks at and really should be fired from, and he knows full well our boss doesn't like him.

They aren't FI, have no kids, and she isn't working?

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17494 on: May 19, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
We'll, these are the same people who have this:

They are currently getting a living stipend from their elderly parents because CW's salary apparently is not enough to support their combined spending habits, but this is supposed to be the last year for realz about the living stipend, they are supposed to get cut off and be on their own next year so they need to save more.

So I'm guessing they weren't raised with the most sound financial advice/lessons...

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17495 on: May 19, 2017, 08:46:03 AM »

The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

This has to be the most absurd thing I have heard in a long long time!!! Seriously can't believe it. How is having a children  before a friend important unless they are contenders for crown of any sovereign?

It happens. One of my aunts got pregnant with my cousin after my other aunt got pregnant because it was apparently a race to see who could provide grandbabies first.

My grandparents apparently thought the whole thing was stupid.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17496 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »

It happens. One of my aunts got pregnant with my cousin after my other aunt got pregnant because it was apparently a race to see who could provide grandbabies first.

My grandparents apparently thought the whole thing was stupid.

Yeah, but surely there's no point trying to conceive ASAP just because you found out someone else was pregnant. You've already lost the race because you already know they're pregnant and if it is a competition then being a few months "behind" them for your child's entire life would be a nightmare - close enough in age for direct comparison but you'll always lose.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17497 on: May 19, 2017, 11:20:12 AM »
It kind of reminds me of 2 other coworkers,  neither of whom ever cook, each bought $500 vitamix blenders over a year ago and have never used them.

I have friends who bought an Instant Pot from Amazon right around Black Friday last year when they were on super-duper sale - great, right? Except it's still in the box, they've never used it. I'm wondering how long I have to wait to ask them if they'd sell it to me.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #17498 on: May 19, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
I had a GoLite jacket like that- I wore it backpacking, to work, everywhere for ~6 years. I even had to re-waterproof it twice. Eventually I got some holes in it, so I threw it away. I figured 6-7 years of use was pretty good.

My teenager stills wears two of my jackets. One from the 80s and one from the 90s.

What's wrong with old clothes? ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:50:12 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17499 on: May 19, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »
It kind of reminds me of 2 other coworkers,  neither of whom ever cook, each bought $500 vitamix blenders over a year ago and have never used them.

I have friends who bought an Instant Pot from Amazon right around Black Friday last year when they were on super-duper sale - great, right? Except it's still in the box, they've never used it. I'm wondering how long I have to wait to ask them if they'd sell it to me.

Every once in awhile I am tempted to buy a slow cooker or crockpot but then that rationale part of my brain reminds me that I wouldn't use it very often.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!