Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252578 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #4300 on: September 25, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »
Not at work, but over the fence from the neighbor:

Next door neighbors are splitting and the wife decided this week to move out of state to live with her new man friend. In one ten minute conversation she told me that:

They are upside down on the house by $100,000, so they are walking away and letting the bank repossess. They are filing for bankruptcy -yay! No kidding, she is euphoric about getting out of house, out of debt, out of her marriage, and out of Maryland.

She is taking dog and moving to another state to live with new man. She is leaving her 25 year old unemployed son in the house until the bank tells him to get out. We are just thrilled since that means that he and his slacker druggie friends can build bonfires in the yard and sit out there smoking reefer and drinking beer EVERY NIGHT.

How long does it take for a bank to repossess and ask you to leave?

LOL Maybe he's actually FIREd!

Hahahahahaha.(Wiping away tears of mirth.) This kid has not held a job for more than 4 or 5 months at a time since he graduated from high school six years ago. He spends most of his time walking up and down the roads in the neighborhood with his girlfriend of the moment, smoking cigarettes and talking on his cell phone. I think he does pick up some money selling weed out of the storage shed behind his parents' house...

He's one of these people who doesn't want to work hard at anything. His MOTHER used to mow the lawn the two or three times a year they mowed it

If I had a 25 year old layabout son, he'd at least be doing all the heavy lifting for me at home. But since his parents are idiotic about money, maybe they didn't know how to teach him to work hard and save his pennies. Whenever he quit another job, his mother always told us, with a straight face, "They didn't treat him right," or "They tried to cheat him," or some such nonsense. Ah... love may be blind, but mother love seems to be blind, deaf, and stupid in this case.

I tell you one thing, if he does start back up with the all night reefer party/bonfires, I am calling the police EVERY time. I'm sick of having this trash live next door. They are completely trifling.

And another thing, if y'all want to argue about crossing the US / Canadian border, start your own damn thread. This is where we complain about stupid things we hear about money.

Edited to fix spelling.

Lol back on topic?  Remind me how you are on topic

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4301 on: September 25, 2014, 06:31:46 PM »
I crossed the border into Canada from Washington once in 2009. I crossed the border into Mexico from San Diego like 50 times from 1998-2006. I was surprised that the Mexico border was more friendly. However, I only did the Canada border once.   

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4302 on: September 25, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »
I crossed the border into Canada from Washington once in 2009. I crossed the border into Mexico from San Diego like 50 times from 1998-2006. I was surprised that the Mexico border was more friendly. However, I only did the Canada border once.

You are surprised that an economically disadvantaged country is nicer to the relatively prosperous foreigner coming to spend money in their country?

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4303 on: September 26, 2014, 12:02:52 AM »
Today the owner of the company called to ask if I was interested in some extra work.  He is building himself a reef tank which as far as I can gather is a $10,000 - $20,000 fish tank depending on the coral and fish he picks for it.  To keep things going and automated while he's away for weeks to months he has bought a controller for just under $1k  but needs a programmer to get things setup and running.  Reading through the specs It can simulate the sunrise/set and moonrise/set anywhere in the world on any day as well as automatically top up the water, control temperature, automatically feed the fish, inject chemicals, monitor temperature, conductivity, dissolved oxygen, use multiple pumps to make waves...   all controllable from anywhere in the world.  It'll email or text you if something goes wrong.    I'm pretty impressed with the tech but holy fuck it costs the same as a modest sedan and it's to keep fish alive in his living room.

Anyways he'll pay hourly so yeah I'll do it.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #4304 on: September 26, 2014, 12:42:11 AM »
Today the owner of the company called to ask if I was interested in some extra work.  He is building himself a reef tank which as far as I can gather is a $10,000 - $20,000 fish tank depending on the coral and fish he picks for it.  To keep things going and automated while he's away for weeks to months he has bought a controller for just under $1k  but needs a programmer to get things setup and running.  Reading through the specs It can simulate the sunrise/set and moonrise/set anywhere in the world on any day as well as automatically top up the water, control temperature, automatically feed the fish, inject chemicals, monitor temperature, conductivity, dissolved oxygen, use multiple pumps to make waves...   all controllable from anywhere in the world.  It'll email or text you if something goes wrong.    I'm pretty impressed with the tech but holy fuck it costs the same as a modest sedan and it's to keep fish alive in his living room.

Beware - it's a slippery slope from working on a home fish tank to a side-hustle as a gigolo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEljuM4CwI4  and then before you know it, you're wearing a peach polyester button down and picking up the next jane ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnKnjXUe3Uw Careful out there my friend.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4305 on: September 26, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
Not at work, but over the fence from the neighbor:

Next door neighbors are splitting and the wife decided this week to move out of state to live with her new man friend. In one ten minute conversation she told me that:

They are upside down on the house by $100,000, so they are walking away and letting the bank repossess. They are filing for bankruptcy -yay! No kidding, she is euphoric about getting out of house, out of debt, out of her marriage, and out of Maryland.

She is taking dog and moving to another state to live with new man. She is leaving her 25 year old unemployed son in the house until the bank tells him to get out. We are just thrilled since that means that he and his slacker druggie friends can build bonfires in the yard and sit out there smoking reefer and drinking beer EVERY NIGHT.

How long does it take for a bank to repossess and ask you to leave?

LOL Maybe he's actually FIREd!

Hahahahahaha.(Wiping away tears of mirth.) This kid has not held a job for more than 4 or 5 months at a time since he graduated from high school six years ago. He spends most of his time walking up and down the roads in the neighborhood with his girlfriend of the moment, smoking cigarettes and talking on his cell phone. I think he does pick up some money selling weed out of the storage shed behind his parents' house...

He's one of these people who doesn't want to work hard at anything. His MOTHER used to mow the lawn the two or three times a year they mowed it

If I had a 25 year old layabout son, he'd at least be doing all the heavy lifting for me at home. But since his parents are idiotic about money, maybe they didn't know how to teach him to work hard and save his pennies. Whenever he quit another job, his mother always told us, with a straight face, "They didn't treat him right," or "They tried to cheat him," or some such nonsense. Ah... love may be blind, but mother love seems to be blind, deaf, and stupid in this case.

I tell you one thing, if he does start back up with the all night reefer party/bonfires, I am calling the police EVERY time. I'm sick of having this trash live next door. They are completely trifling.

And another thing, if y'all want to argue about crossing the US / Canadian border, start your own damn thread. This is where we complain about stupid things we hear about money.

Edited to fix spelling.

I wonder how it would work if you put a lock on the house when he wasn't in it. Then called the cops for breaking and entering. Just trying to figure out a way for you to not have him around. Maybe start calling them every time he lights one up in the back?

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4306 on: September 26, 2014, 06:43:00 AM »

Beware - it's a slippery slope from working on a home fish tank to a side-hustle as a gigolo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEljuM4CwI4  and then before you know it, you're wearing a peach polyester button down and picking up the next jane ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnKnjXUe3Uw Careful out there my friend.

I don't know why but I love this movie. "On second thought, I'm gonna need some of those sea snails."

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #4307 on: September 26, 2014, 08:49:04 AM »

Years ago (when the exchange was very favorable) on my way in to Canada I was asked if I had more than 10K in Canadian currency.  I chuckled and said "not sure, I haven't counted up the change in the ash tray".  That got me a lengthy stop and search...

We traveled a lot when I was younger, and one thing my parents drilled into my mind very forcefully was to never joke with the border guards.  Just answer their questions with the minimum required info and move along.

I've never had any problems in the past, though now that I've renounced my US citizenship it'll be interesting to see what happens next time.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #4308 on: September 26, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »
CW:
"the decent cheap tires for my van are $80"
"but the high-performance tires are $120, marked down from $200!"
"So I'll get the high-performance tires, because it's such a good deal!"

LOL!!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4309 on: September 26, 2014, 10:53:07 AM »
A CW and her husband just purchased one of those super-high-tech bass boats--financed of course.  The other day she was on the phone getting snippy with the boat insurance company ... because the payment was THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS higher than what she claimed to have been told.  An actual quote from her--"This is gonna wreck our budget!"  No, honey, you already did that.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4310 on: September 26, 2014, 11:00:08 AM »
A CW and her husband just purchased one of those super-high-tech bass boats--financed of course.  The other day she was on the phone getting snippy with the boat insurance company ... because the payment was THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS higher than what she claimed to have been told.  An actual quote from her--"This is gonna wreck our budget!"  No, honey, you already did that.

I've financed a boat.  Why? b/c i could buy it super cheap in the fall ... wait til spring and sell my old one for 25% more.  never go into boat ownership expecting a loan though.  i consider doing it every year and i'm always watching the market to see if there is a dollar to be made storing one over the winter.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4311 on: September 26, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »

I've financed a boat.  Why? b/c i could buy it super cheap in the fall ... wait til spring and sell my old one for 25% more.  never go into boat ownership expecting a loan though.  i consider doing it every year and i'm always watching the market to see if there is a dollar to be made storing one over the winter.

That's a new one for me. Timing the boating market?

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4312 on: September 26, 2014, 11:27:25 AM »
Same thing with RV's.   If they didn't get used much during the summer and winter storage fees are coming up people will dump them in the fall.   In spring everyone and their dog wants to go camping so prices are higher.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4313 on: September 26, 2014, 11:31:34 AM »

I caught an episode of some reality show on the History channel about a car dealership in hat wearing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, heart of Texas (that might have even been the title).  One of the employees calls the boss to inform him he took a boat as a trade-in at the dealership.  The owner is perturbed, but the employee said "you said we'd take anything!"  The owner's response was "yeah, but not a boat in February!"

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4314 on: September 26, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
CW:
"the decent cheap tires for my van are $80"
"but the high-performance tires are $120, marked down from $200!"
"So I'll get the high-performance tires, because it's such a good deal!"

LOL!!

Don't cheap out on tires, that's my philosophy. I gladly spend an extra 50% to get double the life out of them, plus a higher speed rating, better grip... and you better believe me, I use the hell out of their higher ratings.

So this guy may have accidentally saved $40/each in the medium term, but spending $40/each more today.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4315 on: September 26, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
So let me get this right... you lied to a border agent, then got upset by them questioning you... sounds like a you problem not a Canadian problem.

^ what he said.

Tell the exact truth, have your ducks in a row, and border crossing is a breeze. At least it has been for me each of the dozens of times I've crossed.

And he have them permission to search.  I mean, they can search without consent, but offering is just asking for a long detention

Just wondering...if he'd said something like "I needed to visit the Italian consulate" would they have pressed much further? Because I think that would have been my approach, but I've never experienced a border crossing of this nature. I'd like to go to Canada or Mexico in the future, though, and since such interactions make me nervous, I'm curious how much probing to expect.

I've been to Mexico a lot, and never get any questions at all.  Canada is a different animal. They are really strict.  I do, however, always get questioned when returning to the U.S. -- usually, the  "how long were you there/business or leisure" question.

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #4316 on: September 26, 2014, 12:21:40 PM »
@Work.  Standard phone upgrade non-sense.

CW1:  "I just upgraded to the iPhone 6, got the 64GB version.  It only cost me $175."
CW2:  "Whoa, I thought they were $299? (How does everyone automatically know this price?  Is the 16GB version for $199 no longer considered entry-level enough?)  How did you score that deal?"
CW1:  "It was easy, I just gave them my old phone (iPhone 5) and they gave me this gold one."
CW2:  "Cool.  I think I just threw my old 3 and 4 in a drawer somewhere.  I'm going to do that deal too!"

What deal?  Trading in a device with a base street value of $300 ($225 if you're too busy to market it yourself and just give it to a usell/gazelle), and getting only $175 off* full MSRP for an iPhone 6 as you lock yourself into a 2-year contract?  How is that a deal?  While we're at it, why don't you give me the 3 or 4 or both you have sitting in a drawer if you don't want to use them or sell them?  Must be nice to watch about $500 in value depreciate in your dresser to have 2 backup phones in the event you lose your 5 6.

Face-punch worthiness diminished by the fact that company fully pays for cell phone with uber voice/text/data plan (though many employees pay extra out of pocket to upgrade to unlimited).  While a subsidy is offered in lieu of having the company put you on their plan, it is not enough money for what normal people would consider "sufficient" service, so most employees pick a latest gen phone and let the company pay the 2-year contract.  I take the monthly subsidy, use a MVNO & Wifi on a perfectly fine last gen phone, and pocket about $400 tax-free a year.

*$50 extra due to sales tax.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4317 on: September 26, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
Same thing with RV's.   If they didn't get used much during the summer and winter storage fees are coming up people will dump them in the fall.   In spring everyone and their dog wants to go camping so prices are higher.

Motorcycles too.  If you live in the north where no one can ride in the winter, look for motorcycles on craigslist around Christmas time.  People needing to make some extra cash for presents, or moving (I had to sell a motorcycle in January for a February move across the country.  Sucked.)  Then sell in the late spring/early summer.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4318 on: September 26, 2014, 01:01:21 PM »

It works for lots of things - probably convertible cars.  Just like out of season clothes, I try to buy horse blankets in early summer, before anyone is thinking about cold weather.  I'll pick up deals on tack on Ebay right after Christmas when all the holiday spending is done, and people haven't started thinking about the next show season yet.  OTOH, I try to avoid selling unused gear during those times.  Ski gear is the opposite, which reminds me, I have a pair of fancy goggles I ought to look at selling in the next month or two.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4319 on: September 27, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »
My friend at work said the most ridiculous thing... She got a notice that her rent was going up next year -- by $17/month. She's convinced she can't absorb it into her budget. So her proposed solution was... to buy a house instead of renting!

Her father offered to pay the increase just to calm her down and ensure she didn't actually move again. She moved last year (for reasons having nothing to do with finances) and I think her father helped her out with her moving expenses.

I'm sure she would have seen reason pretty quickly about the possibility of buying a house instead of paying such a small amount for a rent increase... but it was completely over the top that she gave it any thought and said it out loud with some degree of seriousness attached. (The only flaw in the plan she mentioned out loud was that she didn't have a down payment.)

She is funny with money but does have some legitimate difficulties like being underemployed and having unavoidable medical expenses.

She also has a rich fantasy life, with plans to ride a whale to Hawaii and live on the beach, off of washed in coconuts. So maybe knew the house-buying-plan was of the same ilk...

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4320 on: September 28, 2014, 05:29:13 AM »

Its not like trying to time the stock market it is a simple thing to do. You know your exact profit for the most part within a couple grand. BC you know purchase price taxes and storage fees.  And if you've been around them enough. Ballpark sales price at peak season in spring.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #4321 on: September 28, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
FinCon14 attracted over 500 bloggers and a large host of sponsors as well as PR staff.

A number of the bloggers are so frugal that Amy Dacyczyn would weep with envy.  But this post is not about the frugalistas.

Every morning during the conference, our breakfast buffet was hosted by a sponsor.  It was the same setup every day, and the food & drink was all-you-can-eat free.  This included a half-dozen coffee dispensers prominently marked with the Starbucks logo, next to Starbucks cups, with Starbucks cardboard sleeves & lids, and stacks of the usual coffee additives.  It was on the second floor of the hotel, right next to the escalator, and almost directly above the Starbucks in the downstairs lobby.

Each morning I'd sit at a table eating my breakfast and watching FinCon attendees come into the buffet area.  They'd walk past the coffee tables, take the escalator down to the lobby, and return a few minutes later holding a Starbucks coffee product.  Then they'd walk by the coffee tables again to choose their breakfast food.

Maybe the lattes, cappuccinos, espressos, and frappes taste better than the plain ol' coffee.  Or maybe they feel that they're saving so much on food expenses that they should splurge for the caffeinated beverage of their choice?

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4322 on: September 28, 2014, 10:46:14 AM »
My friend at work said the most ridiculous thing... She got a notice that her rent was going up next year -- by $17/month. She's convinced she can't absorb it into her budget.

I'm thinking she must not have any type of emergency fund if she can't handle a $17 monthly budget increase "crisis" lol.:D

hazelkate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4323 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:21 AM »
I went from working at a small non-profit where everyone brought their lunch to work and carpooled (and rarely complained about money) to working with a bunch of attorneys who live in huge houses, drive financed cars, send their kids to private schools, and go out to eat for lunch EVERY DAY. The stuff I've heard here has been crazy: 

One of the higher paid attorneys at my work was looking notably down in the dumps, so I asked her if she was okay. Her response: "My student loan officer called me. My monthly payment is increasing from $565/mo to $925/mo. There's no way we can afford that! I'm going to have to sell my house!" She looked like she was about to cry. Not only does she go out to eat every day, but she's in her mid 40s and is still paying on her law school loan that she took out when she was 22!

I heard another attorney say, "Money's been tight lately. At the end of the month, there's nothing left. It started to get bad when I bought the new KIA. Then, of course, my wife was jealous that I got a new car so I had to get her the new Honda CRV. You know how it goes..."

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #4324 on: September 28, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »
Heard this gem yesterday:

"I need to put in for some vacation.  I just spent $20,000 on a Wyndham time share. Time to start using my investment."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4325 on: September 28, 2014, 01:12:50 PM »
I went from working at a small non-profit where everyone brought their lunch to work and carpooled (and rarely complained about money) to working with a bunch of attorneys who live in huge houses, drive financed cars, send their kids to private schools, and go out to eat for lunch EVERY DAY. The stuff I've heard here has been crazy: 

One of the higher paid attorneys at my work was looking notably down in the dumps, so I asked her if she was okay. Her response: "My student loan officer called me. My monthly payment is increasing from $565/mo to $925/mo. There's no way we can afford that! I'm going to have to sell my house!" She looked like she was about to cry. Not only does she go out to eat every day, but she's in her mid 40s and is still paying on her law school loan that she took out when she was 22!

I heard another attorney say, "Money's been tight lately. At the end of the month, there's nothing left. It started to get bad when I bought the new KIA. Then, of course, my wife was jealous that I got a new car so I had to get her the new Honda CRV. You know how it goes..."
Ouch, but at least they were Kia and Honda, not BMW and Lexus?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4326 on: September 28, 2014, 01:15:09 PM »
FinCon14 attracted over 500 bloggers and a large host of sponsors as well as PR staff.

A number of the bloggers are so frugal that Amy Dacyczyn would weep with envy.  But this post is not about the frugalistas.

Every morning during the conference, our breakfast buffet was hosted by a sponsor.  It was the same setup every day, and the food & drink was all-you-can-eat free.  This included a half-dozen coffee dispensers prominently marked with the Starbucks logo, next to Starbucks cups, with Starbucks cardboard sleeves & lids, and stacks of the usual coffee additives.  It was on the second floor of the hotel, right next to the escalator, and almost directly above the Starbucks in the downstairs lobby.

Each morning I'd sit at a table eating my breakfast and watching FinCon attendees come into the buffet area.  They'd walk past the coffee tables, take the escalator down to the lobby, and return a few minutes later holding a Starbucks coffee product.  Then they'd walk by the coffee tables again to choose their breakfast food.

Maybe the lattes, cappuccinos, espressos, and frappes taste better than the plain ol' coffee.  Or maybe they feel that they're saving so much on food expenses that they should splurge for the caffeinated beverage of their choice?
Okay, that's really funny!

I'd love to read about bloggers who would make Amy D cry in envy.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #4327 on: September 28, 2014, 02:45:51 PM »
Okay, that's really funny!
I'd love to read about bloggers who would make Amy D cry in envy.
The all-time champion of frugality would have to be Dolly Freed of Possum Living, although technically she's not a blogger. 

My top three:
Ellie Kay
EllieKay.com

Mike & Lauren
http://www.mikeandlauren.com/

Johnny & Mrs. Moneyseed
http://www.johnnymoneyseed.com/

Very honorable mention:
Amanda
http://www.frugalconfessions.com/

Abigail
http://ipickuppennies.net/

Andrea
http://savingslifestyle.com/

Andy
http://artofbeingcheap.com/

Ashley
http://moneytalkscoaching.com/

Erin
http://www.myfrugalhome.com/

And for sheer volume:
http://www.wisebread.com/

There are another 50 or so at this list with the "frugality" keyword, although I haven't read much of their blogs:
http://finconexpo.com/attendee-list/

Oltmanh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4328 on: September 28, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
I am always on the prowl for new sites, so thanks very much for this listing of attendees.  New reading ;)

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4329 on: September 28, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »
Possum Living was a classic!

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #4330 on: September 29, 2014, 02:27:43 AM »
I have a coworker who was just graduated from school about 1 year ago. He told me that he was glad that he was initially hired as a contractor initially and got paid less so he could qualify for a house loan with 0% down. This house was a "steal" because it was a $200k repo in the country (abouta 1 hour drive). When his basement flooded he happily took out a loan for the repairs since he had used his saving to finance a mustang (at least it was used), a new dirt bike and 4 wheeler for him, and a dirt bike, a 4 wheeler, and a motorcycle for his girlfriend. He also has about $100k in student loans. He and his girl friend would like to get married, but want to wait until they have enough money to pay for the wedding of her dreams. He says that now that he got a raise and is making just under $70,000 that they might be able to afford it within the next few years.

He was flabergasted when I told him I was saving so I could make a 20-40% down payment with a 15 year mortgage and that I was also contributing more to the 401k than the company matches.

My question is: how on earth is he able to finance so much? I cannot fathom it. I will only ever go into debt for my first house. I worked hard through college so that I didn't get any debt. The fact that this coworker's financial situation looks like most new graduates boggles my mind!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4331 on: September 29, 2014, 03:00:17 AM »
I have a coworker who was just graduated from school about 1 year ago. He told me that he was glad that he was initially hired as a contractor initially and got paid less so he could qualify for a house loan with 0% down. ...

Wait a second.  How is it that "the banks" "let you" barrow with less money down when you earn less, right out of school, and as a contractor your job is less secure?  If he made good choices while gaming the system - great for him - but wtf system are we working in?  I hope what he did was all a misunderstanding of the system.

Well I guess him over extending himself does ensure we will keep showing up at work and feeding the system where most of us here intend to check out and live off the dividends at some point (are we even more gaming the system?).

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4332 on: September 29, 2014, 04:58:39 AM »
I have a coworker who was just graduated from school about 1 year ago. He told me that he was glad that he was initially hired as a contractor initially and got paid less so he could qualify for a house loan with 0% down. ...

Wait a second.  How is it that "the banks" "let you" barrow with less money down when you earn less, right out of school, and as a contractor your job is less secure?  If he made good choices while gaming the system - great for him - but wtf system are we working in?  I hope what he did was all a misunderstanding of the system.

Well I guess him over extending himself does ensure we will keep showing up at work and feeding the system where most of us here intend to check out and live off the dividends at some point (are we even more gaming the system?).
It must be a USDA loans: they exist to encourage people to buy homes out in the sticks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USDA_home_loan

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4333 on: September 29, 2014, 06:52:08 AM »

Probably saying "I can just write it off as an expense!" FYI - lowering your taxable income also cuts into your profits! Some people don't understand this.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4334 on: September 29, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »

Probably saying "I can just write it off as an expense!" FYI - lowering your taxable income also cuts into your profits! Some people don't understand this.

Alternatively, they see it as a way to save 40% or more on whatever they buy (14% FICA, 25% federal, some state too)?

crazyworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4335 on: September 29, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »

Actually, I would be one of these people. I don't care for drip coffee at all and only like cappuccinos.  If someone has any hacks for making one, I am all ears.  Bit of a waste paying for it, but I need a LOT of foam and very little milk in mine and the large machines at coffee shops can do this.  I tried the bialetti cappuccino maker, but it doesn't really foam mile enough.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4336 on: September 29, 2014, 09:01:11 AM »
Actually, I would be one of these people. I don't care for drip coffee at all and only like cappuccinos.  If someone has any hacks for making one, I am all ears.  Bit of a waste paying for it, but I need a LOT of foam and very little milk in mine and the large machines at coffee shops can do this.  I tried the bialetti cappuccino maker, but it doesn't really foam mile enough.

[facepunch]

I think we've got a fancypants, guys.

[/facepunch]

My hack is to suck it up and drink it black.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4337 on: September 29, 2014, 09:09:04 AM »

[facepunch]

[/facepunch]

Yeah, we've all got a weakness. I'd guess I pay about $0.10/day for my coffee, which is 2-5 cups depending on my mood. So, expensive coffee is not my weakness.

I've got a "foam hack" for you to try though. I've done it and it makes me feel very fancypants, but then again I just said above expensive coffee is not my weakness.

Take a very small container (like, a side of dressing type size) and fill it half way with milk. Put the lid on. Shake the hell out of it for 30 seconds. Open the lid and pour it in your coffee. It makes a nice little milk foam that fizzles out within a minute or two, but it might trick your brain into thinking you paid $4 for the drink?

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4338 on: September 29, 2014, 09:09:47 AM »

[facepunch]

[/facepunch]

I'm with you man. I used to add sugar and cream but it still tastes terrible so I just MANed up and started drinking it black.

If you need more milk and cream and rainbows in your coffee then maybe you should find a new drink....

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4339 on: September 29, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »

[facepunch]

[/facepunch]

I'm with you man. I used to add sugar and cream but it still tastes terrible so I just MANed up and started drinking it black.

If you need more milk and cream and rainbows in your coffee then maybe you should find a new drink....

Yep. Once you go black you never go back.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4340 on: September 29, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »
My favorite is...

Can I get a decaf coffee with extra sugar and milk?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4341 on: September 29, 2014, 09:36:15 AM »

My hack is to just not drink it.

Water is delicious, and free.

I did laugh at Nords' story.  :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:37:54 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4342 on: September 29, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
My favorite is...

Can I get a decaf coffee with extra sugar and milk?

I'd rather a hot chocolate at that point.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4343 on: September 29, 2014, 09:56:55 AM »

This. I never started drinking coffee in the first place. Same with alcohol. I figured if I ever got hooked on either it'd be too expensive. I haven't enjoyed the small amounts I've tried, so I figure I'm not missing out anyway.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4344 on: September 29, 2014, 10:09:56 AM »

This. I never started drinking coffee in the first place. Same with alcohol. I figured if I ever got hooked on either it'd be too expensive. I haven't enjoyed the small amounts I've tried, so I figure I'm not missing out anyway.

Both don't taste very good to me. Tea I like though (herbal infusions and actual tea). Cost of tea? $3-5/month.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4345 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »

Coffee at work is free.  Large can of folgers will make my weekend coffee for months for less than $10.  Coffee is hardly an expensive habit.  Alcohol on the other hand... 

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4346 on: September 29, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »

Are you talking about a moka pot? They call that stovetop espresso, but it doesn't get up to a high enough pressure (only 1-2 bar vs 9-15 bar for an espresso machine) to get the same flavor. As for making milk foam, I hear that lower-fat milk foams better (skim>1%>2%>whole). I got my parents a refurbished Capresso machine for $90 for xmas 3 years ago and it's still going strong. If your coffee makes you happy, this is a much cheaper way than the coffeeshop to enjoy it.

crazyworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4347 on: September 29, 2014, 11:31:18 AM »
Yes, I drink water all day and it tastes just fine to me.  I also drink tea, brewed from whole tea leaves, purchased in bulk quite inexpensively at my indian grocery store. I don't drink much alcohol at all.  I just happen to like cappuccinos - fell for it after a trip to Italy many moons ago.  I don't have to have it everyday, though I go through phases when I do.  Currently in that phase :)  You can facepunch me all you want, but I am not giving it up.
So no hacks for the foam then?

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #4348 on: September 29, 2014, 11:53:51 AM »

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4349 on: September 29, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »
Call me fancypants, too.  "Real" coffee makes my stomach feel like I've swallowed a porcupine, so I'm all about the lattes.  No foam, though.  It gets in the way of the caffeine. 

I bought a >$100 espresso maker for my office, bring milk from home, and use the man's microwave.  SO much more satisfying than starbucks.  Oh, and crazyworld?  Italy's where I got hooked, too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!