Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252828 times)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3500 on: August 02, 2014, 09:55:36 PM »
As I kid I used to fantasize about buying a Dodge Viper body and transplanting a Ford Tempo engine into it to make it really fuel efficient.  My friends did not understand the Vipo.
My daughter used to fantasize about buying a late-model Mustang and converting it to an EV.  She got this idea from the Ford dealership next to the Goodwill, where she shopped at least once a month.  The Goodwill, not the Ford dealer.

But then the Tesla came out, and she now has a new goal in life...

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3501 on: August 02, 2014, 11:40:05 PM »
As I kid I used to fantasize about buying a Dodge Viper body and transplanting a Ford Tempo engine into it to make it really fuel efficient.  My friends did not understand the Vipo.
My daughter used to fantasize about buying a late-model Mustang and converting it to an EV.  She got this idea from the Ford dealership next to the Goodwill, where she shopped at least once a month.  The Goodwill, not the Ford dealer.

Ive always been a fan of these guys: http://www.plasmaboyracing.com

I love watching guys in old muscle cars and decked out european sports cars get abused by a 1972 Datsun.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3502 on: August 03, 2014, 01:29:14 AM »

Ive always been a fan of these guys: http://www.plasmaboyracing.com

I love watching guys in old muscle cars and decked out european sports cars get abused by a 1972 Datsun.

That would be me. Except my Datsun was built in 1965, and is painted granny-spec pink. All the more satisfying to blow off the bogans in their V8s at the lights. :)

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3503 on: August 04, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
wonder if that little gearbox could handle 500+hp.

No. No, it can't.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3504 on: August 04, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »
sorry for continuing to go off-topic, but my car-related dream is to get a truck that looks like kinda like this:

(point being I want it to be from the 70s or 80s and have stripes) and convert it to run on biodiesel. and then I want one of those rear window decals with wolves howling at the moon on it. the only downside I can see is that I kinda want a backseat for my dogs. also I know less than nothing about cars, so this dream may not even be feasible...

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3505 on: August 04, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »
sorry for continuing to go off-topic, but my car-related dream is to get a truck that looks like kinda like this:

(point being I want it to be from the 70s or 80s and have stripes) and convert it to run on biodiesel. and then I want one of those rear window decals with wolves howling at the moon on it. the only downside I can see is that I kinda want a backseat for my dogs. also I know less than nothing about cars, so this dream may not even be feasible...

I used to own that model truck.  White with grey and black stripes.  It was a blast to drive and fairly economical.  I sold it after we learned we were going to have a baby.  No room for two passengers and a car seat.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3506 on: August 04, 2014, 11:23:19 AM »
At dinner last night with my coworkers the conversation started with how much cable companies suck and turned to investing somehow.  The captain next to me turned and said "401k? I've heard of that, but I don't really know what it is."  I gave him the basic definition and asked if he knew what the TSP was. "Oh yeah, I know about that.  My wife takes care of the investing stuff."  He said he put a couple hundred a month into it, but knew nothing beyond that.  He didn't know what the limit was or how the thing worked.  I felt bad for the guy.  He's army and his wife is air force. Both are captains and together probably make over $120,000 a year.  I don't see them as big spenders, but it was painful to hear how ignorant of finances and investing he was.  I want to believe she knows what she's doing, but if he's not even close to maxing his TSP I can't imagine she's doing everything right.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3507 on: August 04, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
I'd be inclined to put the most fuel efficient small engine into the chassis so you have a cool looking car that is cheaper to drive around.  But I'm weird.  As I kid I used to fantasize about buying a Dodge Viper body and transplanting a Ford Tempo engine into it to make it really fuel efficient.  My friends did not understand the Vipo.
At the last DCS I was at I ended up parked next to a guy with a VTEC-swapped DeLorean. Was a VERY well-engineered swap and was both more efficient AND more powerful than the stock PRV powerplant- and was a smaller engine to boot.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #3508 on: August 04, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
Talked to a friend of mine who is a computer tech contractor.

He works for a company that does installs for Best Buy/Geek Squad. They just told him he's no longer allowed to do TV installs with a minivan... he has to have a cargo van or box truck.

He just installed three 60" TV's and sound systems, at the same time, with the minivan. Any clues why Best Buy is requiring this now, all of a sudden? Pretty sure it's not because of cargo space.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #3509 on: August 04, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »
maybe the mini van doesn't look as professional/commercial or have the ability to strap things down as well?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3510 on: August 04, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »
I felt bad for the guy.  He's army and his wife is air force. Both are captains and together probably make over $120,000 a year.  I don't see them as big spenders, but it was painful to hear how ignorant of finances and investing he was.  I want to believe she knows what she's doing, but if he's not even close to maxing his TSP I can't imagine she's doing everything right.
Tell 'em I'd be happy to help.  I'm pretty sure the book is in a library near them, too.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3511 on: August 04, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
Overheard at work today from a man who makes approximately $40k/year: "My rule is a new cell phone every six months.  They really need to make them less expensive though, $700 every six months is pretty rough."

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #3512 on: August 04, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
At dinner last night with my coworkers the conversation started with how much cable companies suck and turned to investing somehow.  The captain next to me turned and said "401k? I've heard of that, but I don't really know what it is."  I gave him the basic definition and asked if he knew what the TSP was. "Oh yeah, I know about that.  My wife takes care of the investing stuff."  He said he put a couple hundred a month into it, but knew nothing beyond that.  He didn't know what the limit was or how the thing worked.  I felt bad for the guy.  He's army and his wife is air force. Both are captains and together probably make over $120,000 a year.  I don't see them as big spenders, but it was painful to hear how ignorant of finances and investing he was.  I want to believe she knows what she's doing, but if he's not even close to maxing his TSP I can't imagine she's doing everything right.
I am not sure you should feel too bad for them-One officer retirement is enough to cover our post expenses ( with a mortgage). It is really easy to stupid your way through with dual military income especially if you aren't a big spender. So far 22 yrs (Single income)has paid for left over student loans, three houses, 3 fully paid college educations and retirement funds at "average" rate ( via arebelspy's formula). Though I agree everyone should be aware of their options.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #3513 on: August 05, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »

With JBLM BAH they make way more than that as CPTs - 3yr 1LT is right over 75k/yr alone.

EricL

« Reply #3514 on: August 05, 2014, 12:11:18 AM »
I am not sure you should feel too bad for them-One officer retirement is enough to cover our post expenses ( with a mortgage). It is really easy to stupid your way through with dual military income especially if you aren't a big spender. So far 22 yrs (Single income)has paid for left over student loans, three houses, 3 fully paid college educations and retirement funds at "average" rate ( via arebelspy's formula). Though I agree everyone should be aware of their options.

It's a little easier to sympathize with people you like.  During my career I always assumed retired officers and NCOs took jobs to fill their bank accounts and/or their egos.  I never dreamed for so many it was to just to keep their heads above water until I left.  I spent my last weeks in trying to educate people on saving and investing.  Of course the Senior NCOs and prior enlisted are generally better prepared.  To them and their spouses a "budget" isn't a small bird.  It's also worrying because debt from poor money management is a proven way for enemies to recruit servicemembers as spies. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3515 on: August 05, 2014, 02:41:57 AM »
We don't see each other that often since we're on opposite sides of the FOB, but the next time I get a few minutes to hang out with him I'll probe a little deeper.  Nords, I'll definitely mention your book in the conversation.  I've said it here before, but I've seen both extremes of frugality in my coworkers at all ranks.  The senior NCO and warrant officer in my shop are using this deployment to aggressively get out of debt before they retire when they get home.  One of my fellow majors would feel right at home on this forum.  He'll find out by next week if he's being forced out, but if he has to go then he can comfortably go a few months before worrying about employment.  Another major here rents four properties across the country, but another young captain has very expensive hobbies and collectibles.  I work with a lot of young captains who are still feeling their way through investment options, home ownership, and only a couple have put serious thought into long term plans.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3516 on: August 05, 2014, 05:42:15 AM »
Due to some circumstances at work, some colleagues and I were talking about the possibility of basically being laid off a month temporarily - I made some comment, "month off without pay? sign me up!" and my coworkers looked at me like I was crazy.

I'd take a month or two every year off without pay if I could, I already am buying as much vacation as I can - might as well take an unpaid month off :)

jordanread

« Reply #3517 on: August 05, 2014, 08:52:59 AM »
Fortunately my co workers are either reasonably prudent or prudently quiet about their finances so I've no recent stories.  However, here are two from years ago, one anti mustachian and one very much not so.

[...]

SPC R was a 20 something company clerk in the same assignment and a pretty smart guy.  In conversation he broadly hinted he had tens of thousands invested in various stocks and diverted large chunks of his pay into them.  One day at work I found him practically doing somersaults with joy.   Some company had gone public and he was diverting a large chunk of his assets to buy into it.  I was in no position to invest and thought he was a bit crazy.  I told him as much since the company's business model was so unconventional.  But SPC R assured me this "Google" company would do very well.

Good for him!! That'd be one of those super lucky single swoop down and catch FIRE without doing anything type situations.

moneydummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3518 on: August 05, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
I can 100% relate.  Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me at my old corporate job, a few times actually.  Lucky for me I have more friendly surroundings these days.  Just goes to show that some people don't like fun.  And I feel sorry for them.  And I also can't wait to retire... though I have a much longer way to go.

Hang in there buddy.

Yesterday was a bad day at work for me... got in trouble for hanging out with a coworker during break. And having fun.

Turns out, there's a guy in my cubicle who's fond of working through breaks and lunch. And he's not very friendly, either. So he gets irritated and is disturbed easily. Seeing the trend here? Oh yeah, and he's 15 years younger than me.

So, just because you don't have enemies, it doesn't mean everyone is your friend, either. I got thrown under the bus, even though I always get my work done on time, and done well. I don't work overtime and I don't work through breaks, and I don't take myself too seriously. Apparently that doesn't sit well with some people.

God, I can't wait till I can retire.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #3519 on: August 05, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
With JBLM BAH they make way more than that as CPTs - 3yr 1LT is right over 75k/yr alone.

LOL, SRSLY? WTF RU SAYIN?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:34:47 PM by Mississippi Mudstache »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3520 on: August 05, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »

LOL, SRSLY? WTF?

Babel fish in my ear says:  the basic allowance for housing (extra pay for rent) at the environs of his military base (adjusted by locale) makes the total pay of a First Lieutenant with 3 years over $75k. Therefore those Captains (next rank up) who were not savvy about investing make even more than $75k.

My captain friend and his wife have around 6 years time in service which gives them a base pay of $5400/month.

Basic Allowance for Housing: untaxable stipend given to military personnel living off-base.  It is based on locality and adjusted for rank and single/married.  Since my coworkers are a dual-military couple only one of them gets it.  For the Joint Base Lewis-McChord area they're getting $1863/month.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #3521 on: August 05, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »
$_$

That almost makes me regret submitting my UQR 9 months before promotion to CPT.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3522 on: August 05, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »
Overheard at work today from a man who makes approximately $40k/year: "My rule is a new cell phone every six months.  They really need to make them less expensive though, $700 every six months is pretty rough."

what. the. fuck.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #3523 on: August 05, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
I went with my housemate recently to check out his phone plan at the store, to see when it finished. The salesman said he had three months left, but he could waive that to grab a new contract and "save" the three months or so, plus get a new phone! My housemate (who has benefited from a bit of second-hand mustachianism) immediately said "no" and calculated how much he'll be saving per-month when it's paid off, in the store!

This will be the first time he's ever kept using a phone he's paid off - until now it's been a new one every two years, with the old ones sitting in a cupboard or drawer gathering dust, just because that's what he's always done. Six months, though, that's pretty unbelievable!

FIREman2036

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3524 on: August 06, 2014, 07:47:03 AM »
Due to some circumstances at work, some colleagues and I were talking about the possibility of basically being laid off a month temporarily - I made some comment, "month off without pay? sign me up!" and my coworkers looked at me like I was crazy.

I'd take a month or two every year off without pay if I could, I already am buying as much vacation as I can - might as well take an unpaid month off :)

A similar thing happened to me when my company threatened that we would be laid of each winter for 2-3 months unless we moved onto a lower paid staff contract. I called their bluff and said i would love to work 9-10 months a year at the current rate and take time of in the quite months. They ended up bumping the staff contract up by 10% so i accepted (left 3 months later for unrelated reasons).

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3525 on: August 06, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »

what. the. fuck.

100% agree. What the actual fuck. I'm making just around the same as him and I couldn't fathom getting a new phone that often. I have a two year old iPhone 4 (bought new as a gift from my parents). I bought myself a heavy duty case and a screen protector right away, and it's still in good condition (two little scratches on the screen, that's it!). That puppy is sticking with me until it completely craps out and is irreparable. I honestly can't tell you what the newest version iPhone is out now, or when another new one will be out. All I know is that when this one does die (hopefully not for another 2-3 years), I'll be looking for a used/refurbished model of some phone that was released two years or so prior.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #3526 on: August 06, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »
Heard this today and immediately thought of this thread.

Co-worker: "Our patio contractor didn't show up on time this morning, so who knows when our patio will be finished? We bought a brand new patio set and have nowhere to put it! The contractor can show up whenever they want and charge whatever they want because it's not like we'd ever do the work ourselves (scoffs)."

Me: "Uh, umm, oh ok, sorry about that"

New patio set? Paying contractor any amount of $$ to do the work for you (on a non-crucial, purely for fun renovation)? Tried to walk away as fast as possible before my eyes rolled uncontrollably...

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3527 on: August 06, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »
LOL... my inlaws just paid a vast amount to have a patio installed... when i mentiontioned that I would have done it for a place to stay for a few nights, they said that on my days off i need to rest.  I have an office job, I rest at work...

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #3528 on: August 06, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »
LOL... my inlaws just paid a vast amount to have a patio installed... when i mentiontioned that I would have done it for a place to stay for a few nights, they said that on my days off i need to rest.  I have an office job, I rest at work...
Exactly!!!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3529 on: August 06, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »
Did I mention that she is unemployed, and they are broke. He wont let her work because he is a trucker and wants her home when he is... 

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3530 on: August 06, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »
I heard another one last night... not at work, but at a board of directors meeting in the housing I live in...

I was kinda evesdropping on another couple talking, and heard something about a kitchen.  So I asked him a question, thinking that maybe he needed some help moving something in his kitchen(his wife is diabled, so this is something that happens quite regularly)  Anyways, he said no, that he was going to the soup kitchen to get some supper. 

I find this quite scary, as he has 3 cars between him and his wife.  The have a mini van, which they need because she is in a wheel chair, so it is equiot with the lift system for her and such.  They have a "commuter" mustang(80's style 4 cly i think) and they just bought a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck.

All of the vehicles are older, but my question is why do they need to pay 3 sets of insurance every month.  Are housing also only provides 1 patking spot, so he is renting another 2 spots... This seems to me to be quite a waste for someone who cannot afford to eat.

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #3531 on: August 06, 2014, 03:37:51 PM »
All of the vehicles are older, but my question is why do they need to pay 3 sets of insurance every month.  Are housing also only provides 1 patking spot, so he is renting another 2 spots... This seems to me to be quite a waste for someone who cannot afford to eat.

Everyone knows you need something fashionable to roll into the soup kitchen on. If you haven't picked up your food pantry score in a benzo, you just wouldn't understand these things.  Why, he'd be the laughing stock of everyone at the soup kitchen if he pulled up in the wheelchair mini-van, instead of the mustang.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3532 on: August 06, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »

what. the. fuck.
[/quote]
This description accurately describes a significant percentage of people of my generation. I personally know a couple who don't make half of the quoted 40k salary.

Cardinal12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3533 on: August 06, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »
Overheard this today:

CW1: (Complaining about needing to cash a check) When I use to work at a bank, some people would come in to deposit two or three paychecks at a time. It must be nice to not need a paycheck every week...

From a senior level accountant, no less.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #3534 on: August 06, 2014, 05:51:57 PM »
At a conference for work this week. I got a couple lunch tickets, but not every level of registration gets them. I saw the price people were paying for lunch: $11! This includes a small sandwich, a bag of chips, and a couple tiny cookies. I can easily make this lunch for $2.00 myself - incredible profit margins. This is why I always bring my lunch to work...

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3535 on: August 06, 2014, 08:24:26 PM »
One of my fellow majors would feel right at home on this forum.  He'll find out by next week if he's being forced out, but if he has to go then he can comfortably go a few months before worrying about employment.  Another major here rents four properties across the country, but another young captain has very expensive hobbies and collectibles.  I work with a lot of young captains who are still feeling their way through investment options, home ownership, and only a couple have put serious thought into long term plans.
I found a bootleg copy of the Army's brief to GEN Odierno on the officer separation boards.  It's "interesting" reading for all O-3s and O-4s:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/235750833/29/Other-Key-Initiatives

If that link suddenly stops working then another copy is on the blog server with this post:
http://the-military-guide.com/2014/08/05/leaked-statistics-army-officer-separation-board/

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3536 on: August 06, 2014, 08:56:14 PM »

A similar thing happened to me when my company threatened that we would be laid of each winter for 2-3 months unless we moved onto a lower paid staff contract. I called their bluff and said i would love to work 9-10 months a year at the current rate and take time of in the quite months. They ended up bumping the staff contract up by 10% so i accepted (left 3 months later for unrelated reasons).

Wouldn't that be awesome? I may never FIRE if I had this kind of setup.

I was just lamenting something similar. In my recent history, I've been able to take an extended break a couple of times every three years. Six years ago when I left a job and went to another and purposely took a month off in between. Three years ago when I got laid off and purposefully didn't look for work for 4 months. Well, now I'm hitting the next three year mark and getting antsy...if only I could take a 3 month break, it may recharge my batteries. But no way my company would go for that. We are in constant layoff mode. My next break is more of a permanent one (FIRE...very soon!).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3537 on: August 07, 2014, 04:24:51 AM »
One of my fellow majors would feel right at home on this forum.  He'll find out by next week if he's being forced out, but if he has to go then he can comfortably go a few months before worrying about employment.  Another major here rents four properties across the country, but another young captain has very expensive hobbies and collectibles.  I work with a lot of young captains who are still feeling their way through investment options, home ownership, and only a couple have put serious thought into long term plans.
I found a bootleg copy of the Army's brief to GEN Odierno on the officer separation boards.  It's "interesting" reading for all O-3s and O-4s:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/235750833/29/Other-Key-Initiatives

If that link suddenly stops working then another copy is on the blog server with this post:
http://the-military-guide.com/2014/08/05/leaked-statistics-army-officer-separation-board/

I received a copy of the OSB demographics brief last week when they were leaked.  It's been the talk of the office and generated a lot of discussions about finances and officership.  In my headquarters so far nobody has been asked to sit down with the brigade commander, but I think one or two in one of our battalions is getting the boot.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #3538 on: August 07, 2014, 07:33:01 AM »
I've finally got one!  So first, I live and work in Chicago.  Yesterday my coworker came in after some time off moving to his newly built house.... in Indiana.  Others asked how long his car commute was, and he replied an hour.  Already I was like ugh, but then! the 4 other people went "oh that's not bad at all!" I sincerely hope some of them were just being polite.  I didn't say anything.  The funny thing is that he's late today 'cause he had to take his car into the mechanic.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3539 on: August 07, 2014, 08:47:44 AM »
Heard this today and immediately thought of this thread.

Co-worker: "Our patio contractor didn't show up on time this morning, so who knows when our patio will be finished? We bought a brand new patio set and have nowhere to put it! The contractor can show up whenever they want and charge whatever they want because it's not like we'd ever do the work ourselves (scoffs)."

Me: "Uh, umm, oh ok, sorry about that"

New patio set? Paying contractor any amount of $$ to do the work for you (on a non-crucial, purely for fun renovation)? Tried to walk away as fast as possible before my eyes rolled uncontrollably...

no kidding! I've never owned a home, but from what I hear from coworkers it sounds like for a lot of jobs, hiring a contractor is almost as big of a hassle/time-suck as doing it yourself! which kind of blew my mind, but also renewed my commitment to DIY as much as possible.

nordlead

• Stubble
« Reply #3540 on: August 07, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »
I've finally got one!  So first, I live and work in Chicago.  Yesterday my coworker came in after some time off moving to his newly built house.... in Indiana.  Others asked how long his car commute was, and he replied an hour.  Already I was like ugh, but then! the 4 other people went "oh that's not bad at all!" I sincerely hope some of them were just being polite.  I didn't say anything.  The funny thing is that he's late today 'cause he had to take his car into the mechanic.

Obviously, you'd be surprised how many people live far away from work. My old boss lived ~1.5 hours away. I just found out another coworker I'm working with lives ~1 hours away. I think the average commute time in the US is 30 minutes. My commute is luckily 15-20 minutes depending on if I hit the lights or not.

My dad used to live 40 minutes from work, but at least his work was a nuclear power plant and we lived outside the fallout zone :-D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:57:07 AM by nordlead »

Angie55

« Reply #3541 on: August 07, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
Not really overheard but....

I parked next to a lifted  Hummer H2 today. Sadly there wasn't any dirt or mud on it. I didn't even know hummers were still around after the raise in gas prices in 2007/2009. I work downtown in a city for a utility so most people aren't paid top dollar. Granted it is Colorado so they hopefully get more use out of it then the droves of Hummers I used to see in DC.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3542 on: August 07, 2014, 09:10:11 AM »
Not really overheard but....

I parked next to a lifted  Hummer H2 today. Sadly there wasn't any dirt or mud on it. I didn't even know hummers were still around after the raise in gas prices in 2007/2009. I work downtown in a city for a utility so most people aren't paid top dollar. Granted it is Colorado so they hopefully get more use out of it then the droves of Hummers I used to see in DC.

One of my coworkers bought one in 2008 -- he said he didn't especially want an SUV, but he needed something with three rows of seating to accommodate his family and dealerships were practically giving them away once gas hit $4/gallon. He did the math, and with the amount of driving he does it worked out in his favor.

He does say he gets a lot of dirty looks, though.

CaliToCayman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3543 on: August 07, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »
This wasn't quite "overheard at work" but my parents were getting on my case about the need for a wedding album. Just now at work my wife found out what one of these albums would cost from our photographer - $850... and that's not even the most expensive one (some go for $1,500)!!!

Originally last night when this was being mentioned to me I was thinking to myself "okay, one last annoying wedding expense of $50-$100 and we'll be done". Even though I dont even agree that we need one to begin with since we have all the photos digitally, but whatever, one last little hump to get over.

But this got me thinking, there are people who pay hundreds and even THOUSANDS of dollars to have their wedding photos in a fancy album???? That is absolutely insane to me. Once my wife told me the price of the cheapest one I pointed out that at that price we could do a long weekend at Little Cayman or Cayman Brac (our sister islands, which would include airfare and hotel) TWICE.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3544 on: August 07, 2014, 12:56:44 PM »
This wasn't quite "overheard at work" but my parents were getting on my case about the need for a wedding album. Just now at work my wife found out what one of these albums would cost from our photographer - $850... and that's not even the most expensive one (some go for $1,500)!!!

Originally last night when this was being mentioned to me I was thinking to myself "okay, one last annoying wedding expense of $50-$100 and we'll be done". Even though I dont even agree that we need one to begin with since we have all the photos digitally, but whatever, one last little hump to get over.

But this got me thinking, there are people who pay hundreds and even THOUSANDS of dollars to have their wedding photos in a fancy album???? That is absolutely insane to me. Once my wife told me the price of the cheapest one I pointed out that at that price we could do a long weekend at Little Cayman or Cayman Brac (our sister islands, which would include airfare and hotel) TWICE.
Maybe you could make your own album at Shutterfly or something similar.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3545 on: August 07, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »

Nope. Photographer owns the copyright. You can't print your own albums unless they let you, in the contract you signed.

$850 is rather a lot. The justification is the quality difference, which really is massively different - trust me, if you hold just one, you won't see it, but if you hold both and compare, you won't be able to go back. The reason the photographer wants it (apart from a few extra bucks in their wallet) is so that their work isn't tarnished by shitty $5 prints. The second reason is that a photographer able to charge top dollar is also able to own the 'artistic vision', if you will; the people willing to pay top dollar do so because they put their trust into the guy with the camera and don't micromanage. Being a budget photographer is a pain in the ass because the people who want to save a buck on one thing also want to save a buck on everything else, which means a lot of back and forth and annoyance.

Is it worth it? You decide, you're the customer. It's obvious why the photographer wants it, in addition to a fat paycheck. If you want to pay, pay, if you don't, don't, but read the contract carefully and ask the right questions before you sign and find out you want the album but can't afford / don't want to pay for the album. Got questions? Ask online in a photographer forum. They'll be biased but you know their bias; they will also be knowledgeable to tell you about potential pitfalls, issues, and things that might not be obvious. Like that you can't just print your own albums or canvas prints unless the contract specifically allows you to. Not legally, anyways, and no high-quality shop will let you because it's not worth the trouble to them.

I wouldn't pay $850 for an album, but if wedding photos were extremely important to me, I wouldn't budget shop. If they weren't very important, I'd just hire a student with a promising portfolio and pay for any rental gear they might want to step up their game. (Or lend some of mine, which is getting to the point where that might be useful.)

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3546 on: August 07, 2014, 01:41:59 PM »
My CW pays for a subscription service to some kind of doggy tv channel so her dogs can watch it while she's at work.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3547 on: August 07, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Speaking of commutes, I overheard a coworker complain about an unusually bad day.

Coworker 1: OMG, the traffic was so bad, it took THREE HOURS to drive in today!
Coworker 2: Wow, that's terrible. How long does it usually take?
Coworker 1:  Two and a half hours.

(For SFBA folks, the commute was from Tracy to San Francisco.)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3548 on: August 07, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »
Tracy to SF? That blows.

I know a guy... lives in Santa Rosa, commutes to work two or three days a week to the bay area. But he's smart, see. He flies on his little two-seater in to a local airport a bit south, and takes the shuttle bus straight to the company. Okay, so fuel costs are a bit more per mile, but flying (in a mostly straight line) at 150 knots sure beats what other people do.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3549 on: August 07, 2014, 01:59:31 PM »

Nope. Photographer owns the copyright. You can't print your own albums unless they let you, in the contract you signed.

$850 is rather a lot. The justification is the quality difference, which really is massively different - trust me, if you hold just one, you won't see it, but if you hold both and compare, you won't be able to go back. The reason the photographer wants it (apart from a few extra bucks in their wallet) is so that their work isn't tarnished by shitty $5 prints. The second reason is that a photographer able to charge top dollar is also able to own the 'artistic vision', if you will; the people willing to pay top dollar do so because they put their trust into the guy with the camera and don't micromanage. Being a budget photographer is a pain in the ass because the people who want to save a buck on one thing also want to save a buck on everything else, which means a lot of back and forth and annoyance.

Is it worth it? You decide, you're the customer. It's obvious why the photographer wants it, in addition to a fat paycheck. If you want to pay, pay, if you don't, don't, but read the contract carefully and ask the right questions before you sign and find out you want the album but can't afford / don't want to pay for the album. Got questions? Ask online in a photographer forum. They'll be biased but you know their bias; they will also be knowledgeable to tell you about potential pitfalls, issues, and things that might not be obvious. Like that you can't just print your own albums or canvas prints unless the contract specifically allows you to. Not legally, anyways, and no high-quality shop will let you because it's not worth the trouble to them.

I wouldn't pay $850 for an album, but if wedding photos were extremely important to me, I wouldn't budget shop. If they weren't very important, I'd just hire a student with a promising portfolio and pay for any rental gear they might want to step up their game. (Or lend some of mine, which is getting to the point where that might be useful.)

That's why you never hire a photographer without retaining copyright.  Unlike other artistic works, the photographer has no use for the photos besides extorting you for more money later, or possibly selling your likeness as stock photography that will end up in a banner ad or stupid web article on what not to wear

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!