Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252953 times)

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #14000 on: July 19, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »

Not unless I go quote you first!

Haha. Jk.

Ha ha, that would have been pretty funny! Seriously Johnny, this knowledge has changed my life for the better. Deleted my post and now it's not in my 'unreadreplies' every single time I go there. Thank you.

You're welcome.

Now if only the people who made the forum software could make it possible for us to remove threads from the show new replies section at will....

And yeah it's ridiculous how many times I've heard the replace it instead of fix it approach. I'm driving a 2002 corolla and I've had people tell me to replace it whenever I mention any little problem, such as a burnt out headlight bulb. Really? That's a $10 part.
Fortunately I don't get this lecture too often as I play the poor grad student card. Not that I'm actually poor.... but it helps to pretend sometimes.
I get that with my 2002 grand am.  The bumper's cracked and the hood is slightly dented from when a truck driver forgot how mirrors work while parallel parking.  I keep getting told to just replace the car, or at least get a new bumper.  The car works just fine, the bumper isn't coming off, and the dent doesn't prevent me from opening/closing the hood.

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14001 on: July 19, 2016, 09:30:27 AM »
And yeah it's ridiculous how many times I've heard the replace it instead of fix it approach. I'm driving a 2002 corolla and I've had people tell me to replace it whenever I mention any little problem, such as a burnt out headlight bulb. Really? That's a $10 part.
Fortunately I don't get this lecture too often as I play the poor grad student card. Not that I'm actually poor.... but it helps to pretend sometimes.

This made me laugh out loud as I'm getting the same comments on my '02 corolla. I unfortunately don't have the grad student excuse... I'm an enviro engineer with 5+ years experience and most people keep asking me when I'll replace it... I always tell them the same thing - when the rust wins (most likely) or it starts becoming unreliable (not likely with less than 110k miles)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14002 on: July 19, 2016, 09:42:40 AM »

This made me laugh out loud as I'm getting the same comments on my '02 corolla. I unfortunately don't have the grad student excuse... I'm an enviro engineer with 5+ years experience and most people keep asking me when I'll replace it... I always tell them the same thing - when the rust wins (most likely) or it starts becoming unreliable (not likely with less than 110k miles)

Nice. I've got 96k miles on mine. I plan on keeping for years to come.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14003 on: July 19, 2016, 09:47:34 AM »

Not unless I go quote you first!

Haha. Jk.

Ha ha, that would have been pretty funny! Seriously Johnny, this knowledge has changed my life for the better. Deleted my post and now it's not in my 'unreadreplies' every single time I go there. Thank you.

You're welcome.

Now if only the people who made the forum software could make it possible for us to remove threads from the show new replies section at will....

I get that with my 2002 grand am.  The bumper's cracked and the hood is slightly dented from when a truck driver forgot how mirrors work while parallel parking.  I keep getting told to just replace the car, or at least get a new bumper.  The car works just fine, the bumper isn't coming off, and the dent doesn't prevent me from opening/closing the hood.
Newer bumpers are like motorcycle helmets, they don't work nearly as well the second time as the first.  I believe a 2002 would be new enough to fall under that category, so there is a safety reason to replace it. FYI.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14004 on: July 19, 2016, 09:53:11 AM »

Nice. I've got 96k miles on mine. I plan on keeping for years to come.

One of the happiest days of the past year was when I got the news from the insurance company that my wife's Corolla was going to be totaled after a very minor accident. I hated that car. What a gutless, soulless excuse for an automobile. I’ve been in elevators that were more exhilarating than that appliance was. But the damn thing ran and was efficient and safe, and paid for, which meant that I’d never be able to convince myself to get rid of it. Thankfully the accident took care of that problem for us.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14005 on: July 19, 2016, 10:02:38 AM »
Good one at work yesterday.

CW: "man, the handle snapped off of our kitchen sink faucet this weekend so we have to use pliers to turn it on and off"
Me: "Oh that's no big deal, you can pick up a new handle for a few bucks at the hardware store"
CW: "Well my wife decided we need a whole new sink so we're going that route"

Can't waste a good opportunity to spend money!
We used pliers to turn our shower on and off for weeks before we got around to fixing it.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14006 on: July 19, 2016, 10:52:28 AM »
From my colleague: "When are you gonna get a new car? It's so old! And, really, manual door locks??! You might as well be living in the 80s!"
Me: "You know what else my car has? No monthly payments, and low gas bills. I'll get rid of it when it falls apart on the highway."
*Silence*
Colleage: "HOW did you manage no car payments??!?! Did your parents buy you a car?"

Excuse me, I'm gonna go hit my head against the wall now.

For the record: I drive a  2011 Honda Fit that my husband and I bought new in 2011. It has no AC, manual locks, and is VERY reliable. We share the car, so we only HAVE one car to afford and maintain. And how we managed car payments: well, we bought a car after 5 years of working professional-level jobs in a city with excellent public transit, and we saved money instead of going out every night. That's how we afforded the car.

Parents, indeed *harumph* Honestly, I'm kind of insulted.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14007 on: July 19, 2016, 10:59:13 AM »
From my colleague: "When are you gonna get a new car? It's so old! And, really, manual door locks??! You might as well be living in the 80s!"
Me: "You know what else my car has? No monthly payments, and low gas bills. I'll get rid of it when it falls apart on the highway."
*Silence*
Colleage: "HOW did you manage no car payments??!?! Did your parents buy you a car?"

For the record: I drive a  2011 Honda Fit that my husband and I bought new in 2011. It has no AC, manual locks, and is VERY reliable. We share the car, so we only HAVE one car to afford and maintain. And how we managed car payments: well, we bought a car after 5 years of working professional-level jobs in a city with excellent public transit, and we saved money instead of going out every night. That's how we afforded the car.

The no AC would be a bit much for me living in Atlanta. And even if I could learn to tolerate it, any guests in my car certainly would not.

They think a five year old car is old? Really?

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14008 on: July 19, 2016, 11:30:46 AM »
*Silence*

You bought a 2011 model that didn't have AC or auto locks...didn't know that was possible, my '99 toyota has both plus heated seats.  Don't tell me you have to manually roll down the windows too?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:34:22 AM by Frugal_NYC »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14009 on: July 19, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
*Silence*

You bought a 2011 model that didn't have AC or auto locks...didn't know that was possible, my '99 toyota has both plus heated seats haha.  Don't tell me you have to manually roll down the windows too?

Nope, those are about the only thing that's automatic!! We bought the floor model at a VERY good price in late 2011, hence the weird features.

And the new model Honda Fits also have the no-AC option: 3K cheaper than the AC option (16K vs 19K).

The no-AC is a bit of a drag in summer, but I discussed it with my husband last week (because we're looking at needing a second car in about 18 months, and will likely buy another fit, since it's perfect for our needs and we have no complaints and it's a good car for a good price): we're in Quebec. Assuming we keep a car 6 years (we're rural and drive a lot), that 3K extra is 500$/summer for AC on the car. Which, realistically, we'd actually use... 25 days? Maybe 30?

Like, at that price, open the windows.

Actually, he was super pro-AC for our next car. And I was like "the cost breaks down like this. Would you pay 500$ to have AC on our current car for this summer only?" "NO!!!" Well, why do you want to pay that every year on our next car?" "Huh..." Conclusion: unless we can get it included, or at a SUPER good price, it is NOT worth 3K on a 15K car for AC in Quebec. In Atlanta? Texas? Miami? Sure. What I need is heating. :)

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14010 on: July 19, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
And the new model Honda Fits also have the no-AC option: 3K cheaper than the AC option (16K vs 19K).
This must be a Canada thing because the base Fit in the US comes standard with AC. At least for 2016+

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14011 on: July 19, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »
The no-AC is a bit of a drag in summer, but I discussed it with my husband last week (because we're looking at needing a second car in about 18 months, and will likely buy another fit, since it's perfect for our needs and we have no complaints and it's a good car for a good price): we're in Quebec. Assuming we keep a car 6 years (we're rural and drive a lot), that 3K extra is 500$/summer for AC on the car. Which, realistically, we'd actually use... 25 days? Maybe 30?

Yes, we love having A/C in the car in Texas summers. But I find the A/C handy during our brief winter too as the A/C's de-humidification effect stops condensation from building up on the inside of cold windows. Is that not a problem in Canada?

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14012 on: July 19, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »

Yes, we love having A/C in the car in Texas summers. But I find the A/C handy during our brief winter too as the A/C's de-humidification effect stops condensation from building up on the inside of cold windows. Is that not a problem in Canada?

The heater dries the air, too.  A/C defrost (defog?) is nice when it's not cold enough to need to turn on the heat, but you still need to dry out the inside of the windshield.  That's not really an issue in Canada winter though, as you'll always be using the heater :-)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14013 on: July 19, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »

The heater dries the air, too.  A/C defrost (defog?) is nice when it's not cold enough to need to turn on the heat, but you still need to dry out the inside of the windshield.  That's not really an issue in Canada winter though, as you'll always be using the heater :-)

I was about to post the AC as a dehumidifier. Being in Chicago, it is almost a necessity. I remember a couple of times when I drove a car with broken AC in the summer that my choices were to not be able to see through the windshield, pull over every 2 minutes to wipe it off, or not drive. Even with the heat on it wouldn't dry it out. And no one wants to put the heat on when it is 98* anyways.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14014 on: July 19, 2016, 01:23:40 PM »

I was about to post the AC as a dehumidifier. Being in Chicago, it is almost a necessity. I remember a couple of times when I drove a car with broken AC in the summer that my choices were to not be able to see through the windshield, pull over every 2 minutes to wipe it off, or not drive. Even with the heat on it wouldn't dry it out. And no one wants to put the heat on when it is 98* anyways.
Most heaters don't actually remove moisture.  Heaters change the temperature of the air, which increases the maximum absolute humidity, which then lowers the relative humidity.  If it's already hot out, increasing the temp isn't going to change the maximum absolute humidity much, and therefore won't lower the relative humidity much.

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #14015 on: July 19, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »
Lady in my office:

1) Trying to tell an amusing anecdote: "My dog is so spoiled, but I'm okay with it. She rides right in the middle on the leather eats of my $100,000 Lexus SUV on the way to the cottage and my kids are stuck in the back! Funny right?"

Later...

2) "My cottage is too much work these days. I spend all my time trying to get people to rent it so I can cover the expenses for it and for the boat."

3) "On the way home, I rear-ended somebody in the car and it's going to cost something like $5000 dollars, because Lexus has special parts. Such an inconvenience"

She also commutes 90 minutes to work every day one-way...

I don't have the heart to tell her that she is very well off and she should sell everything and retire already!

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14016 on: July 19, 2016, 04:02:36 PM »
*Silence*

You bought a 2011 model that didn't have AC or auto locks...didn't know that was possible, my '99 toyota has both plus heated seats.  Don't tell me you have to manually roll down the windows too?

My 2007 hyundai accent has AC, but not power locks and windows. They're still out there!

My 2002 Silverado also has manual locks and windows.

Love those manual windows.  Great exercise! :)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14017 on: July 19, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »
Maybe manual windows and manual locks will become part of the new (old) security system which includes manual transmissions. These cars/trucks will be so weird nobody can/will steal them.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14018 on: July 19, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »
*Silence*

You bought a 2011 model that didn't have AC or auto locks...didn't know that was possible, my '99 toyota has both plus heated seats haha.  Don't tell me you have to manually roll down the windows too?

The AC on my '06 is functionally broken. It is a white car but with a black interior. Yeah, for those thirty days, for half an hour each, it is pretty awful. But then I discovered that I can just keep my windows cracked open two centimetres when I'm not using it and a few more while driving.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14019 on: July 19, 2016, 10:13:36 PM »
*Silence*

The AC on my '06 is functionally broken. It is a white car but with a black interior. Yeah, for those thirty days, for half an hour each, it is pretty awful. But then I discovered that I can just keep my windows cracked open two centimetres when I'm not using it and a few more while driving.

It's really not that expensive to add AC to your car.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14020 on: July 19, 2016, 10:16:13 PM »

I don't have the heart to tell her that she is very well off and she should sell everything and retire already!

How dare you, how could she possibly be happy rear-ending someone with something less than a $100k Lexus?  :)

Oh and what the hell kind of Lexus costs $100k?  I mean, I know Lexus can be some damn expensive cars Toyotas, but i wow, $100k is a whole new level of stupid.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14021 on: July 20, 2016, 02:18:58 AM »
I get a remark about once a week about my phone (an iphone 5, barely 3 years old)

So far i've been able to replace the battery, screen and charger port. The charger port I was told by apple that it was impossible to replace. $10 from amazon later it's good as new. I didn't realize how easy the iphones were to fix and tear down.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14022 on: July 20, 2016, 03:49:12 AM »
I get a remark about once a week about my phone (an iphone 5, barely 3 years old)

So far i've been able to replace the battery, screen and charger port. The charger port I was told by apple that it was impossible to replace. $10 from amazon later it's good as new. I didn't realize how easy the iphones were to fix and tear down.

That's really good to hear. I've had my iPhone 4 screen shatter twice. Both times it was so bad I could not use the phone and it was when I was so busy I was like "I have to have this fixed RIGHT NOW, I cannot even wait a day for parts to come, let alone spend time fixing it", so I dashed to a high street repair shop. (I need emails on my phone all the time for work, and I'm self-employed.) But I'd like it to break one day when I have time to try out fixing it myself.

CodAlmighty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14023 on: July 20, 2016, 05:17:49 AM »

I too have the same phone and it's about the same age. It was handed down to me by a friend who's contract had ended. She was paying $65 a month for it and is now paying a similar amount for her iPhone 6. Meanwhile I have a 30 day rolling contract that allows me 125 minutes, 100MB of data and 500 texts, and it costs $6.50 per month. In a year's time her new contract would have ended, so I will probably get her iPhone 6. I can then sell the iPhone 5 and that will pay my monthly bill for at least 6 months.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14024 on: July 20, 2016, 07:54:44 AM »

I too have the same phone and it's about the same age. It was handed down to me by a friend who's contract had ended. She was paying $65 a month for it and is now paying a similar amount for her iPhone 6. Meanwhile I have a 30 day rolling contract that allows me 125 minutes, 100MB of data and 500 texts, and it costs $6.50 per month. In a year's time her new contract would have ended, so I will probably get her iPhone 6. I can then sell the iPhone 5 and that will pay my monthly bill for at least 6 months.
It's good to have spendypants friends!  :-)

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #14025 on: July 20, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »
On topic, I work with someone who bought a $7,000 riding mower the other week. He lives on half an acre. When I asked him why he bought it, he said that he wanted one that would last. Riiiight...

Have never needed one, how much should one ordinarily spend?

I lived on 2.5 acres with my ex. We paid $500 for a used fairly high end John Deere.

Back in spendypants days we bought one new off the floor for $1500 +/-. It was an MTD though - even then I wasn't willing to pay a premium for green paint. And having worked in a machine shop making parts for JD, I never felt like there was anything special about them.
The only good thing about a JD tractor is when it comes with a Yanmar engine.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14026 on: July 20, 2016, 11:28:33 AM »

How dare you, how could she possibly be happy rear-ending someone with something less than a $100k Lexus?  :)

Oh and what the hell kind of Lexus costs $100k?  I mean, I know Lexus can be some damn expensive cars Toyotas, but i wow, $100k is a whole new level of stupid.

Lexus LS 600h L, 2016 model starts at USD 120,400.
http://www.lexus.com/models/LS-hybrid

But they last a long time.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14027 on: July 20, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »

Depreciation is killer. $63k for this low mileage 2012 which according to the description had a new sticker price of $131k. That works out to $2.91/mile in deprecation alone!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14028 on: July 20, 2016, 12:54:57 PM »

CodAlmighty, what carrier do you have your cell phone plan on?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14029 on: July 20, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »

Depreciation is killer. $63k for this low mileage 2012 which according to the description had a new sticker price of $131k. That works out to $2.91/mile in deprecation alone!
The sweet spot is models that are 6 years old and the manuf warranties are expired. You can get 5-6 year old LS 460L for $mid-20s to $low-30s, mileage dependent. A 2011 model with 26500 miles is advertised for $35k. I'm not sold on the hybrid stuff.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14030 on: July 20, 2016, 03:13:54 PM »
That Lexus gets 23 MPG even with the hybrid equipment???

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14031 on: July 20, 2016, 04:04:27 PM »

Same as the non-hybrid (AWD models) on the highway. The only improvement is with city economy, which goes from 16 mpg to 19 mpg. I'm guessing it still has to use the V8 at highway speeds. Also, it weighs 5,115 pounds!

terrier56

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14032 on: July 20, 2016, 04:31:11 PM »
Today I asked my boss what he was doing on the weekend. So he tells me the following:

boss: I am going on a bar tour
me: okay
boss: Only instead of a bus driving us to the bars it will be a helicopter
me: holy sh#$balls

Total cost is $750AUD plus alcohol. novelty can be expensive. Also there is 1 extra spot and if he doesn't fill it he will have to pay for that seat as well.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #14033 on: July 20, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »
The only improvement is with city economy, which goes from 16 mpg to 19 mpg.

Holy shit, hold the phone! Now get me Greenpeace on the line! I need to tell them how Lexus just saved the Goddamn Earth all by themselves!!! :D

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14034 on: July 20, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »

Same as the non-hybrid (AWD models) on the highway. The only improvement is with city economy, which goes from 16 mpg to 19 mpg. I'm guessing it still has to use the V8 at highway speeds. Also, it weighs 5,115 pounds!

5115lbs!  Is it an armoured car or does it also do heavy excavation work?  (Yeah I know there are way heavier cars than even this, sadly). 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #14035 on: July 20, 2016, 10:59:03 PM »

5115lbs!  Is it an armoured car or does it also do heavy excavation work?  (Yeah I know there are way heavier cars than even this, sadly).

It's all the safety features.... if you believe the other flame/thread on the topic. :D

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14036 on: July 21, 2016, 01:03:40 AM »

That's really good to hear. I've had my iPhone 4 screen shatter twice. Both times it was so bad I could not use the phone and it was when I was so busy I was like "I have to have this fixed RIGHT NOW, I cannot even wait a day for parts to come, let alone spend time fixing it", so I dashed to a high street repair shop. (I need emails on my phone all the time for work, and I'm self-employed.) But I'd like it to break one day when I have time to try out fixing it myself.

If you're the kinda person who breaks screens frequently and can't wait 24hours (amazon has same day shipping on iphone 5 screens in my area) it may be prudent to just have one handy since they are only $22. About a quarter of the price of having it repaired. Watch some of the "jerryrigeverything" youtubes and you'll be able to fix them easily in no time.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14037 on: July 21, 2016, 02:13:31 AM »
Hybrid supercars use electric motors for low-end performance, not for efficiency. This shouldn't be a surprise.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14038 on: July 21, 2016, 12:55:10 PM »
Speaking of iPhones, my 4S died recently and couldn't be fixed.   I qualified for a free upgrade to a 6, or - for a mere $50 - I could get a 6S.   I kept saying patiently "I want the free one, please."   The guy didn't give up until I said "Look - I loved my 4S.   The only reason why I'm here today for an upgrade is that it can't be fixed."

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #14039 on: July 21, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »
The only improvement is with city economy, which goes from 16 mpg to 19 mpg.

Holy shit, hold the phone! Now get me Greenpeace on the line! I need to tell them how Lexus just saved the Goddamn Earth all by themselves!!! :D

It's not often that something on the internet actually makes me laugh out loud...

Well played.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #14040 on: July 21, 2016, 02:44:24 PM »
I had this conversation today... it's not mind blowing like somethings on this thread, but it amused me. Because CW seems very suspicious of our lifestyle and loves to challenge me when we are "spending money" as if to prove we aren't as frugal as we appear (I feel I should note, I never actually bring up money with this particular person, she just really seems very interested in how I choose to spend my money since the time she over heard me talking about savings and retirement with someone who was genuinely interested and of a similar mindset of me)

CW: What are you doing tonight?
Me: Going to a baseball game.
CW: Oh, [Triple A team one hour away]? That's fun. But I thought you didn't spend money on things like that!
Me: No, [college league team in town]. The games are a lot fun and tickets are really cheap, even if DH hadn't gotten tonight's tickets free through work.
CW: Well you still have to drive there and pay for gas!
Me: We'll ride our bikes. It's only about 5 miles.
CW: But it might rain.
Me: So we'll get wet?
CW: Well you still have to eat supper at the park!
Me: We'll just eat at home before we go.
CW: That's just weird.

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #14041 on: July 21, 2016, 02:44:36 PM »
CW, really nice lady, invited me and other colleagues to go to Starbucks (I generally drink Starbucks when join colleagues or friends). On our way we had a small talk and somehow ended up discussing Costco. I complained that every time my husband and I go there, we end up leaving a bunch of money there. Minimum $80. This happens because generally we eat quite pricy food because we love fruits, veggies, fish, cheese, and wine.

CW told that that was nothing because she and her husband leave there at least $800 each time they go..

I was so shocked that did not have time to ask how often they do this.

Holy-moly!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14042 on: July 21, 2016, 02:54:51 PM »
I had this conversation today... it's not mind blowing like somethings on this thread, but it amused me. Because CW seems very suspicious of our lifestyle and loves to challenge me when we are "spending money" as if to prove we aren't as frugal as we appear (I feel I should note, I never actually bring up money with this particular person, she just really seems very interested in how I choose to spend my money since the time she over heard me talking about savings and retirement with someone who was genuinely interested and of a similar mindset of me)

CW: Oh, [Triple A team one hour away]? That's fun. But I thought you didn't spend money on things like that!
Me: No, [college league team in town]. The games are a lot fun and tickets are really cheap, even if DH hadn't gotten tonight's tickets free through work.

TIL it is apparently weird to eat before attending a sports game.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14043 on: July 21, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »

TIL it is apparently weird to eat before attending a sports game.

I am not at all frugal about eating out (I know, it's on me), but I will eat a protein bar on the way rather than ice cold nachos or an old hot dog at a sports game. Even in box seats at major NYC  games, I still haven't seen too much approaching actual food at games.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14044 on: July 21, 2016, 03:24:24 PM »
...CW seems very suspicious of our lifestyle and loves to challenge me when we are "spending money" as if to prove we aren't as frugal as we appear

I guard against this by giving people way too much information. Even though friends/relatives don't question my spending, I still feel the need to share with them my entire rationale. A friend noticed that I was wearing a new cardigan.

Me: "I sold five things on eBay offset the cost!"
Her: "... I was just going to say it was pretty!"

Me, defensive much. :/

TallFrodo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14045 on: July 21, 2016, 05:36:22 PM »

No matter how many times I use that line I still get a little thrill of being a laconic badass. It has that real "Then we'll fight in the shade" ring to it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14046 on: July 21, 2016, 05:42:07 PM »

I enjoyed this.

But I'm the weirdo who takes her kids to free concerts at the park instead of pay concerts.  Parks for free and walks a mile.  And eats before we go, and then packs water to drink.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #14047 on: July 21, 2016, 06:34:10 PM »

No matter how many times I use that line I still get a little thrill of being a laconic badass. It has that real "Then we'll fight in the shade" ring to it.

I get similar comments about rain every time I show up on a motorcycle.  Though I get to say "You may be right." and have Billy Joel playing in my head. :D

Greenway52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14048 on: July 21, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »
*Silence*

Yeah, my car, which is a '93 Accord also has Power Windows, Power Mirrors, auto locks, and AC (though the AC kind of sucks and I never turn it on cause it kills the mileage).

My colleagues also keep on asking me when I'm going to buy a new car. My standard response is I will buy one when my current car isn't doing its job anymore ... which is to get me from Point A to Point B.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14049 on: July 21, 2016, 11:16:23 PM »
A colleague is finishing up today after being made redundant.

He will be 76 in October and the company has been waiting for him to bow out gracefully, but he just couldn't afford to retire.

He's on his fifth wife. Wears $15 shirts but gets them dry-cleaned. Buys two or three coffees a day. His wife is in her late 60 and she 'retired' for about six months and is now back at work.

They moved last year to a five-bedroom house "so we have room for the grandchildren when they visit". A colleague told me they are renting, estimated their rent at $950-$1150/week.

I've rolled my eyes a lot at this guy's behaviour over the years but now it's just ... sad.