Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252915 times)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19750 on: March 09, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
Heard this recently coming from the young (25ish) guy sitting a few spots down from me, about looking for a new car:

"I would be happy having a payment of $250 every two weeks, even up to $300 would be fine...."  Then the real kicker "over SEVEN years"

I have no idea what this guy's financial situation is other than he makes around $55K per year for salary.

Is reviewing reoccurring payments on a biweekly basis normal now? Or is this person simply running the numbers against their typical paycheck period?

It's the common way that they are presented these days.  Soon, they will show it as "only $14 per day!"

I often compute expenses as daily. But to me, sometimes realizing I’m paying $2/day for a phone (or whatever, over it’s expected lifetime) makes me reconsider the purchase

I multiply all my expenses by 25x and then say to myself - am I willing to have to save up this much to have this as part of my long term lifestyle?

For example - new iPhone X (or whatever) - $1000 x 25 = $25,000 needs to be saved if I want a new one every year.  Or, if that's not realistic, then lets churn it every 3 years instead, so $1000/3 = $334.  $334 x 25 = $8350.  Am I willing to save up an additional $8350 in order to afford a new iPhone every 3 years?  Since I'm trying to FIRE asap, the answer is generally... no.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19751 on: March 09, 2018, 10:03:22 AM »
I multiply all my expenses by 25x and then say to myself - am I willing to have to save up this much to have this as part of my long term lifestyle?

For example - new iPhone X (or whatever) - $1000 x 25 = $25,000 needs to be saved if I want a new one every year.  Or, if that's not realistic, then lets churn it every 3 years instead, so $1000/3 = $334.  $334 x 25 = $8350.  Am I willing to save up an additional $8350 in order to afford a new iPhone every 3 years?  Since I'm trying to FIRE asap, the answer is generally... no.

I do the same, but then I convert it to how long I'd have to work to save up that amount.  For example cable, what do people pay nowadays for cable?  $80/month?  80*12*25 = $24,000.  If my savings rate is $2k/month, am I willing to work an extra year of my short life JUST to have cable?  Definitely not, but sometimes the cost of something in perpetuity is less than I'd expect, and I'll go 'I'll work 2 months to have that forever'.  Also with a really high savings rate (more than 2k/mo), the time to save for something forever is often not actually that long, so I have to be careful to avoid lifestyle creep.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #19752 on: March 09, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »
This may seem dumb, but what do people have to talk about so much on their phones? When I was a teen and we had land lines I talked up a storm every single night to my best friend. We talked about boys and mean girls and stupid stuff like that. But what do adults talk so much about that they have to drive with their phones glued to their ears while driving or walking across a street and pay no attention to traffic? I see people who are driving out of their driveways first thing in the morning and are on their phones. I guess I just don't get it. If it were up to me I wouldn't even have a phone.  I like having it for emergencies and occasional calls and some of the features on the phone. What is the 24/7 attraction of the phone?

Maybe this was already answered, but I thought I'd share my perspective. I use my phone to talk to my family and two of my best friends. I call one person each day on my commute home and it helps me keep connected in their daily lives. My family is very emotionally close but geographically spread out and we're not into social media, so it would be hard to connect without our weekly phone calls. The phone is a critical piece of infrastructure for my family. I don't feel attached to it as a tech gadget though, it's just a means to an end for me.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #19753 on: March 09, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »
When I first started my previous job I had an older coworker who kept bragging to me about her amazing car. She was as proud of her car as she was bitter about not being anywhere near retirement-ready at 62. Amazing car was the top of the line Ford Taurus with suede seats and terrible gas mileage despite her 30 mile one-way commute. I couldn't even believe someone with such a brutal commute (an hour with no traffic in the morning, 2 hours plus guaranteed in the afternoon) would have such a gas guzzler for a car but it was her baby and her identity.

Imagine my surprise when I heard her on the phone with her car finance company telling them she took out a 401K loan to pay out their loan because she'd defaulted so many time she was afraid they'd repo the car. The car was 4 years old!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:34:17 PM by Cali »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19754 on: March 09, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
When I first started my previous job I had an older coworker who kept bragging to me about her amazing car. She was as proud of her car as she was bitter about not being anywhere near retirement-ready at 62. Amazing car was the top of the line Ford Taurus with suede seats and terrible gas mileage despite her 30 mile one-way commute. I couldn't even believe someone with such a brutal commute (an hour with no traffic in the morning, 2 hours plus guaranteed in the afternoon) would have such a gas guzzler for a car but it was her baby and her identity.

Imagine my surprise when I heard her on the phone with her car finance company telling them she took out a 401K loan to pay out their loan because she'd defaulted so many time she was afraid they'd repo the car. The car was 4 years old!

I mean...really...a Ford Taurus?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19755 on: March 09, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
This may seem dumb, but what do people have to talk about so much on their phones? When I was a teen and we had land lines I talked up a storm every single night to my best friend. We talked about boys and mean girls and stupid stuff like that. But what do adults talk so much about that they have to drive with their phones glued to their ears while driving or walking across a street and pay no attention to traffic? I see people who are driving out of their driveways first thing in the morning and are on their phones. I guess I just don't get it. If it were up to me I wouldn't even have a phone.  I like having it for emergencies and occasional calls and some of the features on the phone. What is the 24/7 attraction of the phone?

Maybe this was already answered, but I thought I'd share my perspective. I use my phone to talk to my family and two of my best friends. I call one person each day on my commute home and it helps me keep connected in their daily lives. My family is very emotionally close but geographically spread out and we're not into social media, so it would be hard to connect without our weekly phone calls. The phone is a critical piece of infrastructure for my family. I don't feel attached to it as a tech gadget though, it's just a means to an end for me.

I hope you use a hands free device when you are talking. Driving is not to be taken lightly. It is a very big responsibility and I am sure you wouldn't want to kill someone. I have followed people who are talking on their phones while driving and they are all over the road. I have almost gotten hit head on too many times to count with careless drivers talking on the phone.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #19756 on: March 09, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »

You'd think it was a Ferrari the way she bragged about it. I couldn't believe anyone who drove 60 miles+ daily would buy a car that got 15mpg , 20mpg if she was lucky.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19757 on: March 09, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »

You'd think it was a Ferrari the way she bragged about it. I couldn't believe anyone who drove 60 miles+ daily would buy a car that got 15mpg , 20mpg if she was lucky.

Which Taurus gets that bad of fuel economy? I'm seeing numbers ranging from 20/29 to 16/24 mpg (city/hwy). The latter is the turbocharged six-cylinder model with AWD.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19758 on: March 09, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »

I do the same, but then I convert it to how long I'd have to work to save up that amount.  For example cable, what do people pay nowadays for cable?  $80/month?  80*12*25 = $24,000.  If my savings rate is $2k/month, am I willing to work an extra year of my short life JUST to have cable?  Definitely not, but sometimes the cost of something in perpetuity is less than I'd expect, and I'll go 'I'll work 2 months to have that forever'.  Also with a really high savings rate (more than 2k/mo), the time to save for something forever is often not actually that long, so I have to be careful to avoid lifestyle creep.

If you aren't right at FIRE you need to tack on that many years to your 25.  Eg if you're 5 years away, multiply by 30 (25+5).  You've got to pay for it now while you're working while saving up for having it in FIRE. 

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19759 on: March 09, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »

If you aren't right at FIRE you need to tack on that many years to your 25.  Eg if you're 5 years away, multiply by 30 (25+5).  You've got to pay for it now while you're working while saving up for having it in FIRE.

Hmm, that's a good point, didn't think about that.  It's not just delaying FIRE by $24k.  If I weren't paying 80/mo for cable right now I could save that much more, accelerating FIRE, so it's even worse!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19760 on: March 09, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »
Heard this recently coming from the young (25ish) guy sitting a few spots down from me, about looking for a new car:

"I would be happy having a payment of $250 every two weeks, even up to $300 would be fine...."  Then the real kicker "over SEVEN years"

I have no idea what this guy's financial situation is other than he makes around $55K per year for salary.

Is reviewing reoccurring payments on a biweekly basis normal now? Or is this person simply running the numbers against their typical paycheck period?

It's the common way that they are presented these days.  Soon, they will show it as "only $14 per day!"

I often compute expenses as daily. But to me, sometimes realizing I’m paying $2/day for a phone (or whatever, over it’s expected lifetime) makes me reconsider the purchase

Yeah I agree with dragon car on this... it can lead to some crazy thinking.

I used to have a $1 a day yogurt habit which I figured required me to save $9125 to sustain.

I no longer buy yogurt anymore...

Cali

• Stubble
Overheard at Work
« Reply #19761 on: March 09, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »

Which Taurus gets that bad of fuel economy? I'm seeing numbers ranging from 20/29 to 16/24 mpg (city/hwy). The latter is the turbocharged six-cylinder model with AWD.

I can’t say because I never looked it up but likely the latter. It was just something else she complained about when she started the “I’ll never be able to retire” rant. Apparently it got okay milleage on a normal road but on the way to and from work her 2+ hour commute involved surviving the parking lot that is common for rush hour freeways in Southern California. Along with the car she couldn’t afford was a house in the boondocks she couldn’t afford but bought because everyone else had one. And in the backyard was a horse nobody had been able to ride for 10 years. “She’s like a big dog, I can’t get rid of her!”

I was a saver before we met but I think of her every time I start feeling like I’m getting spendy.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:10:57 PM by Cali »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19762 on: March 09, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
I used to have a $1 a day yogurt habit which I figured required me to save $9125 to sustain.

I no longer buy yogurt anymore...

Awesome, can I start telling people this when they ask why I don't eat yoghurt?

It can't go over worse than "because I have such an aversion to eating it that my throat feels like it closes".

Also, the homemade yoghurt crowd is coming for you now, @marty998.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19763 on: March 09, 2018, 11:42:24 PM »
It strikes me later that this question didn't come just from a place of sexism. But from someone who didn' t know what the eff to be doing with the fire hose of cash that Travel Contract work provides.

I hope you reported this jackass to his HR department.
If it's a good company I would hope they would be mortified by his comment and not renew his contract. Being quiet about sexism helps.... who exactly???

I was in an interview... and he's a contract worker I may never see again, so I suppose I don't so much see the point.

And people have to be super racist/sexist for me to be right off the bat labeling it that way. I just knew in that moment that I'd pull out my "Big Girl" voice which is usually something I only do when I get a patient cussing me out or disregarding instructions. When I reviewed the event later at home, I realized "the voice" had come out due to my immediate in person perception of the sort of judgement he was making with his question.

I'm not even certain he knew I was married, but he couldn't possibly imagine a woman half his age being able to take off 3 months a year? 
-----
Additional factoid: He was not the one interviewing. I was being interviewed by two other people, non contract, actual management, and we were walking through the actual department as sort of a show and tell. While my tour guide chatted one person up, I ended up with teh Contract Worker. And Contract Workers like to compare contracts as like a -thing-.

Extra bonus: While I was performing my skill set on a test patient/coworker, he came round and smaked her tummy and made a fat joke. I called him out on that, and he said, "You think that's bad, SHE set the tone my first day!"

I consider this all to be a professionalism flag, but figured I'd had some friction with uber professionals in other jobs. So maybe working with a bunch of people who think farts are funny will mean my job will finally be friction free. Just because they don't have boundaries doesn't mean I don't get to have them :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:00:30 AM by Mesmoiselle »

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19764 on: March 09, 2018, 11:53:29 PM »
Do you have reason to believe he would have said something different if the genders were reversed? My coworkers would ask me if I married into money if I took off every other month too...

You are right; it's possible that this kind of thing might get said to both men and women. Maybe even at exactly the same rate. However, context matters. Women hear this against a wide catalog of assumptions in the workplace about marital status and support, in a way that men do not.

My perception is also that women would be considered moochers if they were supported by husband so they could work part time, but husbands supported by wives get high fives for bagging a good one.  my upbringing and regional area of living is likely affecting that perception though. Having known the guy for less than 5 minutes, and not being the sort to actively go looking for sexism/racism in the work place so I can be outraged as some sort of hobby, I can only assume that my perception of his tone and body language was the correct one and I responded appropriately by setting him straight.

My husband joked later that I may not have set him straight. By saying I was the rich wife, he could then assume I'd inherited money from family.

All way around, seems like men find it hard to believe that I could have my financial shit together rather than depending on others.

asosharp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19765 on: March 10, 2018, 06:07:43 AM »

I'm confused, why would you multiply the cost of a phone by 25?

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #19766 on: March 10, 2018, 07:55:47 AM »

I hope you use a hands free device when you are talking. Driving is not to be taken lightly. It is a very big responsibility and I am sure you wouldn't want to kill someone. I have followed people who are talking on their phones while driving and they are all over the road. I have almost gotten hit head on too many times to count with careless drivers talking on the phone.

Yes, it's voice activated bluetooth. My family all understand that if I'm driving and space out, it's because I'm paying attention to the road and not the phone call. I wait till I'm parked to talk about serious stuff so I can pay attention to the phone call more. I actually think it helps me focus while driving, otherwise I'd get bored and tired. Not saying it's right for everybody, just thought I'd share why I use my phone a lot. You questioned what people could talk about that often and for me it's a way to hear about the daily little stuff in people's lives. It's how I still feel close to them even though we've lived far apart for years.

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #19767 on: March 13, 2018, 10:22:59 AM »

Yes, it's voice activated bluetooth. My family all understand that if I'm driving and space out, it's because I'm paying attention to the road and not the phone call. I wait till I'm parked to talk about serious stuff so I can pay attention to the phone call more. I actually think it helps me focus while driving, otherwise I'd get bored and tired. Not saying it's right for everybody, just thought I'd share why I use my phone a lot. You questioned what people could talk about that often and for me it's a way to hear about the daily little stuff in people's lives. It's how I still feel close to them even though we've lived far apart for years.

ET Phone home

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19768 on: March 14, 2018, 02:29:01 AM »
A colleague, who has already starred in this thread for her Uber Eats habit, has been revamping her pantry.

She spent $200 on new canisters, and has been looking at laser-cut custom vinyl labels on Etsy for about $100.

She does't cook.

Ever.

The woman buys toast from a café. She doesn't need a Pinterest-perfect pantry!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19769 on: March 14, 2018, 03:34:17 AM »
A colleague, who has already starred in this thread for her Uber Eats habit, has been revamping her pantry.

She spent $200 on new canisters, and has been looking at laser-cut custom vinyl labels on Etsy for about $100.

She does't cook.

Ever.

but maybe she thinks once she has the pantry she will be inspired to cook?

Or otherwise its because one of the Kardashian/Jenners has an amazing pantry. I cant remember which one but I remember people on facebook sharing it as goals

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19770 on: March 14, 2018, 06:43:11 AM »
$200 doesn't get you much for fancy canisters.  I looked into redoing my pantry (as we do cook nearly everything at home)- and it was almost $1500 in containers alone.  I didn't do it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19771 on: March 14, 2018, 07:55:15 AM »
$200 doesn't get you much for fancy canisters.  I looked into redoing my pantry (as we do cook nearly everything at home)- and it was almost $1500 in containers alone.  I didn't do it.
I had to look up pantry cannisters (I too cook everything at home but don't have any).  What are fancy about fancy ones that would do the job better than something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Click-Clack-Pantry-Canister-4-2-Quart/dp/B008BR4MR6

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19772 on: March 14, 2018, 08:10:08 AM »
I had to look up pantry cannisters (I too cook everything at home but don't have any).  What are fancy about fancy ones that would do the job better than something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Click-Clack-Pantry-Canister-4-2-Quart/dp/B008BR4MR6

No- those are the fancy ones; but the way it worked out to convert the whole pantry we needed about about 50 containers of various sizes (we had it all mapped out which sizes we needed for what).  So a set of 3 for nearly $40; they add up. The larger containers are over $20 each.

So $200 for canisters would only get 5 sets of what you showed.  I would need more than 5 of the large containers just for varieties of rice.  After just a few things, the small containers are pretty useless.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19773 on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:44 AM »

No- those are the fancy ones; but the way it worked out to convert the whole pantry we needed about about 50 containers of various sizes (we had it all mapped out which sizes we needed for what).  So a set of 3 for nearly $40; they add up. The larger containers are over $20 each.

So $200 for canisters would only get 5 sets of what you showed.  I would need more than 5 of the large containers just for varieties of rice.  After just a few things, the small containers are pretty useless.

Catering websites might be a good option if you're still interested.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19774 on: March 14, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »

Oh wow, got it.  I get the feeling our pantries look vastly different. :P

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19775 on: March 14, 2018, 08:19:35 AM »

I have a single wide closet as a pantry.  I just went with a bunch of dollar store boxes or painted cardboard boxes.  But we have a lot of rices and flours because my husband really likes variety when he cooks.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19776 on: March 14, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »

I have a single wide closet as a pantry.  I just went with a bunch of dollar store boxes or painted cardboard boxes.  But we have a lot of rices and flours because my husband really likes variety when he cooks.
Yeah, my pantry is mostly just oils, vinegars, canned stuff, onions, maybe some sweet potatoes, and small kitchen appliances like the food processor and coffee maker when not in use.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #19777 on: March 14, 2018, 01:03:35 PM »
Not money, but if you can't count and don't know what a calendar looks like you can't read a bank statement I assume....

Actual thing said at my office by people who earn more money than me:
'What? It's Pi Day?'
'Yeah man, it's 3/42'
'Awesome'

That's not Pi, that's not today's date, that's not any date.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19778 on: March 14, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »

You probably have a better-stocked pantry than someone who doesn’t cook. I would say she has the basics - white flour, white sugar, etc - and that’s it.

Not money, but if you can't count and don't know what a calendar looks like you can't read a bank statement I assume....

Actual thing said at my office by people who earn more money than me:
'What? It's Pi Day?'
'Yeah man, it's 3/42'
'Awesome'

That's not Pi, that's not today's date, that's not any date.

One of my colleagues got a meeting request yesterday for April 4 and got all excited. “Star Wars Day!”

No, no it’s not.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19779 on: March 14, 2018, 01:22:50 PM »

You probably have a better-stocked pantry than someone who doesn’t cook. I would say she has the basics - white flour, white sugar, etc - and that’s it.
I don't have either of those things in my pantry, nor do I have any cannisters, and I cook every day. :D

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #19780 on: March 14, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »

She does't cook.

Ever.

That made me smile. The stars of MMM Wall of Shame.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19781 on: March 15, 2018, 01:21:24 AM »

I don't have either of those things in my pantry, nor do I have any cannisters, and I cook every day. :D

I have everything in cannisters - old plastic icecream tubs either emptied of original contents myself or scavenged from friend's recycle bins. They're sealable, stackable, they all match, FREE, and you just label them with a permanent marker. It'll come off in the dishwasher so you can always relabel. Like the poster above, I have at least 5 varieties of rice and a dozen kinds of flour.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19782 on: March 15, 2018, 03:09:37 AM »
My containers come in three kinds:
1. Charity shop Kilner jars - sugar, couscous and the like
2. New IKEA ones - larger, for flour and dried beans and rice
3. Glass jars that used to hold something else - spices

I only use see-through ones, though. Scavenged opaque containers go in the Tupperware cupboard for temporary storage uses.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19783 on: March 16, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
Young colleague has just bought his first place. He wants to rent out a room to a room mate to make ends meet. Can't affort much furniture yet.
Now his GF moved in with him and wants to buy a dog. My colleague was wondering whether a dog was expensive. Another colleague at the table, who didn't want a dog, but lost the argument with the rest of his family, confirmed that having a dog is very expensive indeed.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19784 on: March 17, 2018, 01:42:43 PM »
Young colleague has just bought his first place. He wants to rent out a room to a room mate to make ends meet. Can't affort much furniture yet.
Now his GF moved in with him and wants to buy a dog. My colleague was wondering whether a dog was expensive. Another colleague at the table, who didn't want a dog, but lost the argument with the rest of his family, confirmed that having a dog is very expensive indeed.
Are you in a position to talk to young colleague about contraception?  Girlfriend is very likely exhibiting nesting behaviour and a baby could very well follow on quite quickly from the dog.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19785 on: March 17, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »
Are you in a position to talk to young colleague about contraception?  Girlfriend is very likely exhibiting nesting behaviour and a baby could very well follow on quite quickly from the dog.

Um.... I don't know how things roll on your planet. but on this one it's just a dog, dude. And women don't have 'nesting behaviours' so much as men have 'misinterpreted female behaviour based on their male misogynistic outlooks'.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19786 on: March 17, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »

Um.... I don't know how things roll on your planet. but on this one it's just a dog, dude. And women don't have 'nesting behaviours' so much as men have 'misinterpreted female behaviour based on their male misogynistic outlooks'.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #19787 on: March 17, 2018, 10:50:44 PM »
Coworker was on new hire 6 month probation and it was not going well with regular 'performance feedback' meetings giving poor reviews. They were staying with family members since moving to a new city, and constantly talking about going around to buy new furniture to it could be ready for their new place in the spring. I asked, 'Where will you store these items if you buy them now? Why not wait until you have the place and then you know what your space requirements will be?' (Strong hints that  large purchases may not be wise when getting fired is imminent.) Alas, the hint was not not clear enough, and neither were the multiple performance review warnings. With 1.5 months left on probation still they signed for a 3 bedroom house and made a few other public expensive commitments (booked flights, etc) and then were given immediate notice of 'non-renewal of contract effective immediately' a few days after moving in to the big place, and right after they turned down a friend as a potential paying room-mate/tenant.  I'm very sad for them, and also so frustrated that they will be in a really bad position now and that it would have been mostly preventable.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19788 on: March 19, 2018, 05:20:00 AM »

I also don't think the dog has anything to do with any nesting behaviours. I also don't want to interfere with my colleague's decision on whether and when to have children. I just think he should realize that a dog is very expensive and that he takes a very deliberate decision about having a dog. The money should be worth it.

BJacks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19789 on: March 19, 2018, 08:58:51 AM »

When I was pregnant with our first both of my husbands siblings ended up with dogs. They couldn't have more babies so they went out and got dogs. It's a thing.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19790 on: March 19, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »
I managed to own a dog for 13 years before having children.  I don't think the two are related.
Then again, I lack nesting, as my kid is 1 and we still don't have a "nursery" set up.

Dogs aren't that expensive, though the occasional $800 emergency vet bill does suck. I guess it depends what you define as expensive.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #19791 on: March 19, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »
I managed to own a dog for 13 years before having children.  I don't think the two are related.
Then again, I lack nesting, as my kid is 1 and we still don't have a "nursery" set up.

Dogs aren't that expensive, though the occasional $800 emergency vet bill does suck. I guess it depends what you define as expensive.

Depends on the life-style and what you feel is appropriate for a dog. If you travel a ton, boarding can get super expensive. If you get a puppy and feel you need to take them to doggy day care every day, it gets expensive.

Some people (even frugal people) can't have a dog and just leave them at home all day without expensive food, dog walkers etc. They just don't believe that's how you treat a dog.

If you are more like me and think a dog is a dog and don't travel much, it can be cheap to own a dog for the entertainment/companionship you get.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19792 on: March 19, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »

+10.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19793 on: March 19, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »

+10.

Also, I'm not sure about Norway, but in my area of the planet, one does not talk to younger coworkers about their contraception methods. That would be a great way to get reported to HR. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19794 on: March 19, 2018, 01:30:12 PM »

+10.

Also, I'm not sure about Norway, but in my area of the planet, one does not talk to younger coworkers about their contraception methods. That would be a great way to get reported to HR.

hahahaha!

"So did you file that TPS report? Is your girlfriend on the pill?"

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #19795 on: March 19, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
Co worker of mine was defending why she was driving a large pick up truck.  She said that "it's only used to take me to work and back (~70KM round tip)and to tow our trailer around in the summer.  Plus, we bought it when the new model year was coming out, so we got a deal on it." 

This person thinks this is actually how you save money.  Stunning!

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #19796 on: March 20, 2018, 05:26:20 AM »

+10.

hahahaha!

Yea in America it would go like this (assuming there are no women around):

"Whoa, she's getting a dog, huh?  You better lock that thing down before a baby pops out of it!"

Then everyone would laugh and slap each other on the back, and that person would get reported to HR for their strong mentoring and leadership skills and promoted to VP.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #19797 on: March 20, 2018, 06:47:28 AM »

+10.

hahahaha!

Yea in America it would go like this (assuming there are no women around):

"Whoa, she's getting a dog, huh?  You better lock that thing down before a baby pops out of it!"

Then everyone would laugh and slap each other on the back, and that person would get reported to HR for their strong mentoring and leadership skills and promoted to VP.
And this is why America isn't so great....dogs of the non-animal variety. Hanging out in packs and getting ahead.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #19798 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:54 AM »
Coworker recently sold their classic VW Beetle, so now she has a significant amount of cash laying around. Naturally she must spend it on something else so she is looking at buying a travel trailer. As if this isn't bad enough, she has asked nearly everyone in the building if they have space for them to park the new trailer. Because they don't have any place for it and you know, paying $150/mo in storage just won't cut it. I've been so stunned I haven't even said a word.

How about you don't buy anything..

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #19799 on: March 21, 2018, 02:05:18 AM »
+10.
Let us take a moment and appreciate that this thread has now 20000 comments.