Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252741 times)

Jane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3000 on: June 24, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »
My parents are/were the worst cooks in the world. My mom can hardly boil water and my dad over cooks everything. I use to jump for joy when we would have take out, not because I enjoyed eating junk for dinner, but because the food my parents made was awful. I'm actually grateful my parents didn't teach me to cook. Instead, I've had to learn from friends, friend's parents, and thank god for the Internet.

I feel exactly the same! I figured out cooking on my own and through other people - and starting cooking all my food in about my mid teens. I remember a whole lot of nasty, boiled-to-death vegetables from my childhood.

I think there may have been an era back in the 50s/60s/70s where all the baby boomers learned to cook really terrible food using processed "ingredients" (e.g. Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup) and that miracle of modern technology, the microwave. We know better now, but "convenience" was all the rage back then...

Ugh. Yes. I grew up on cream of crap soup casseroles and I know a lot of my friends did, too. We joke about it now because none of us will touch that stuff with our own cooking. My parents made other things that were pretty good (thank goodness) but they still rely a lot on those type of convenience foods.

I must be too young to understand this hate.  Cream of mushroom soup makes an awesome pasta sauce (add cream, chopped grilled chicken, lots of mushrooms sauteed in butter, and pepper) and great pork chops.

Real cream of mushroom soup is delicious. Canned (which I think is what most everyone is referring to) is not, such as Campbell's:

WATER, MUSHROOMS, VEGETABLE OIL (CORN, COTTONSEED, CANOLA, AND/OR SOYBEAN), MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, WHEAT FLOUR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, DEHYDRATED CREAM (CREAM [MILK], SOY LECITHIN), YEAST EXTRACT, FLAVORING, DEHYDRATED GARLIC.

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #3001 on: June 24, 2014, 12:40:28 PM »
Ahh, isn't that great - less than 2% of CREAM of mushroom soup is actually cream.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3002 on: June 24, 2014, 01:13:01 PM »
Less than 2% is dehydrated cream.  Then again, what percentage of cream is water?

It's basically a fat, a starch, and some dairy (a white sauce) with mushrooms and seasonings.  Nothing scary (but not particularly tasty either). 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3003 on: June 24, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »
Less than 2% is dehydrated cream.  Then again, what percentage of cream is water?

It's basically a fat, a starch, and some dairy (a white sauce) with mushrooms and seasonings.  Nothing scary (but not particularly tasty either).

Basically MSG.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3004 on: June 24, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
Is MSG supposed to be horrible for me now?  *rollseyes*  I thought we had moved on to demonizing glutens these days . . .

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3005 on: June 24, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »
Is MSG supposed to be horrible for me now?  *rollseyes*  I thought we had moved on to demonizing glutens these days . . .

MSG is very bad for your weight.  Like anything else, it's fine in moderation.  But ask yourself why they have to hide the glutamates in four different "ingredients": MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, YEAST EXTRACT, FLAVORING.  It's probably significant.

edit: it's pretty delicious, but I'd rather take the above recipe, remove the campbells, and just add my own glutamate to taste.  Then I can control it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3006 on: June 25, 2014, 06:37:49 AM »

MSG is very bad for your weight.  Like anything else, it's fine in moderation.  But ask yourself why they have to hide the glutamates in four different "ingredients": MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, YEAST EXTRACT, FLAVORING.  It's probably significant.

edit: it's pretty delicious, but I'd rather take the above recipe, remove the campbells, and just add my own glutamate to taste.  Then I can control it.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=7843398&fileId=S0007114510000760

findings indicate that when other food items or dietary patterns are accounted for, no association exists between MSG intake and weight gain.

MSG is one of those loaded terms that people have decided to demonize for no apparent reason . . . like gluten, carbs, lactose, etc.  It's been shown time and again to be less toxic than salt, and many double blind studies have been done showing that it doesn't cause headaches, weight gain, or any of the other hysterical things reported about it.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2006.00160.x/abstract;jsessionid=1855E58616B6D2BE421804C6BD6760C3.f04t03
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10736380
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273230099913375
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2009.03221.x/abstract

ProfWinkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What just happened?
    • CACI International
« Reply #3007 on: June 25, 2014, 08:08:55 AM »
People today $20 a month themselves to death

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #3008 on: June 25, 2014, 08:40:55 AM »

MSG is monosodium glutamate which is one part salt, one part glutamic acid. Glutamic acid is abundant in practically everything we eat. It is also produced by our bodies as a result of the digestion of proteins. It's used in our metabolism and is an important (the most important?) neurotransmitter.

MSG is not bad for you and biologically speaking, cannot be bad for you.

Science wins again.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #3009 on: June 25, 2014, 10:15:58 AM »

MSG is monosodium glutamate which is one part salt, one part glutamic acid. Glutamic acid is abundant in practically everything we eat. It is also produced by our bodies as a result of the digestion of proteins. It's used in our metabolism and is an important (the most important?) neurotransmitter.

Science wins again.

But everytime I eat Chinese food, I get a headache afterwards. It can't possibly be that because I ate 5 pounds of fried foods. It's probably from the MSG stuff that's all in it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3010 on: June 25, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »

Science wins again.

So your argument is that because a compound is in food we eat, and produced and used by our bodies, it is not bad for you and cannot be bad?  This is unconvincing... that's like saying salt can't be bad for you.  Of course, almost anything can be bad for you in high amounts.  So the question is whether adding MSG to food increases your glutamate levels beyond a healthy amount.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=7843398&fileId=S0007114510000760

findings indicate that when other food items or dietary patterns are accounted for, no association exists between MSG intake and weight gain.

Papers are more compelling, but of course I didn't read all of them.  Be honest, though, are there no conflicting studies?  I ain't no fancy scientist, so how am I supposed to determine which study is more accurate?  If there really are no conflicting studies, I guess I'll happily add a teaspoon of MSG to everything I eat.  UMAMI!

Ohio Teacher

• Stubble
« Reply #3011 on: June 25, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »
At the risk of this hijacking this thread further, I feel this picture has to be added to the jello salad conversation.  What was up with the 1960's?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3012 on: June 25, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »
At the risk of this hijacking this thread further, I feel this picture has to be added to the jello salad conversation.  What was up with the 1960's?

Good thing it's REAL mayonnaise, and not that fake stuff.  That would be gross.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3013 on: June 25, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
 . . . could also be the evil glutens.  I hear that glutens inspired Hitler.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3014 on: June 25, 2014, 11:31:15 AM »

Good thing it's REAL mayonnaise, and not that fake stuff.  That would be gross.

Lest we forget, I give you the full smorgasbord of tomato aspic. My personal favorite is the one with R2D2. We never had R2D2 back in the day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tomato+aspic&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sgarU6WcCZGkyATB1oDQBg&ved=0CDQQ7Ak&biw=1024&bih=645

jordanread

« Reply #3015 on: June 25, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »

Lest we forget, I give you the full smorgasbord of tomato aspic. My personal favorite is the one with R2D2. We never had R2D2 back in the day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tomato+aspic&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sgarU6WcCZGkyATB1oDQBg&ved=0CDQQ7Ak&biw=1024&bih=645

Oh dear god!! That looks awful.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3016 on: June 25, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »

Oh dear god!! That looks awful.

But it would probably pair nicely with that Monterey jello-mayonnaise salad, would it not?

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3017 on: June 25, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
We grew up poor.  These jellos were our desserts, plus they used up the older vegetables rather than waste them.  Green jello with celery and olives was a treat.  I didn't like the tomato jello with vegetables, though.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3018 on: June 25, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »
We grew up poor.  These jellos were our desserts, plus they used up the older vegetables rather than waste them.  Green jello with celery and olives was a treat.  I didn't like the tomato jello with vegetables, though.

I find your childhood oddly disgusting. Not that you were poor - I just gag a little thinking of tomato jello with old vegetables in it.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3019 on: June 25, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »

Umm, how about eating the JELLO as a treat?! Vegetables and jello... gross.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3020 on: June 25, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »
Am I the only one here who thinks a tomato sauce and beef gelatin would be delicious as a soup base or even possibly by itself? I'm all about the bone broth. Those pictures are pretty gag though.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3021 on: June 25, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »
All these pictures made me feel happy about not being born in America in 50-ties or 60-ties. My childhood wasn't particularly rich, but at least we always had a good home made food.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3022 on: June 25, 2014, 01:54:23 PM »
Am I the only one here who thinks a tomato sauce and beef gelatin would be delicious as a soup base or even possibly by itself?

Are you trying to make me sick? I think you just described the part of the beef that I usually throw away - the congealed fat after it's sat out a while.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3023 on: June 25, 2014, 02:48:14 PM »
There's a heckova lot of difference between congealed beef fat and beef stock that's gelatinized.  Gelatin is what gives soup body.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #3024 on: June 25, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
Finally I have one:  Just overheard co-worker talking about since it's so hot out, she's going to take a taxi to meet her friend at the restaurant that's 0.25 miles away.  WTF?  It's 75 degrees out, the walk over is really nice and safe (beautiful urban park.  What a waste of money and she's fat to boot, she could sure use the walk.  I wanted to face punch her. 

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3025 on: June 25, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »
Since people loved the Jello salad so much, I'll just leave this here:

https://www.google.com/search?q="the+joys+of+jello"&source=lnms&tbm=isch

and one more for the road for you shrimp lovers:

A friend of mine got a complete set of those recipe cards from a garage sale. They are hilariously revolting, every one of them.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3026 on: June 25, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »

The jello was a way of using up vegetables, so it served several purposes.
1) mom was able to use up the vegetables
2) we ate the vegies because they were encased in jello
3) they added color to the meal
The jello served the same purpose of using up the vegetables as the pressure cooker/crock pot does in this thread, and a jello mold was cheaper than either of those options.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/just-bought-a-$150-electric-pressure-cooker-last-month/new/?topicseen#new
If they look unappetizing to you, think how they'd look if you hadn't had a lot to eat that week.

HoneyBadger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3027 on: June 25, 2014, 07:17:43 PM »
My mother was the queen of the Jell-O salad:  favorite ingredients - Cool-Whip, canned pineapple and miniature marshmallows.  She still make the things for holiday dinners.  I finally got to nerve to refuse to eat them a couple of years ago, and she's still mad at me! 

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3028 on: June 25, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
My mother was the queen of the Jell-O salad:  favorite ingredients - Cool-Whip, canned pineapple and miniature marshmallows.  She still make the things for holiday dinners.  I finally got to nerve to refuse to eat them a couple of years ago, and she's still mad at me!
We get this EVERY family get together I hate it so much! Every once in a while we will get canned oranges instead of pineapples which is still gross but it's a change of pace. You don't dare refuse it though cause grandma will through a fit and then start complaining about her heart and that she is feeling light headed.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3029 on: June 25, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »

Oh, now that I'll eat. With the others, the combination of meat and sweet jello is what really gets me. The sweet is a (more) recent thing in the meal-style gelatins, by the way. The older recipes generally call for unflavored Knox gelatin, which helps a lot in reducing the level of disgust.

...And to get it back on topic, I wonder how my colleagues would react if I took a tomato aspic with olives and maybe some shrimp to our potluck "retreat"? I even have the unflavored Knox to do it up right. Bet I'd "overhear" something about that!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3030 on: June 25, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
We grew up poor.  These jellos were our desserts, plus th they used up the older vegetables rather than waste them.  Green jello with celery and olives was a treat.  I didn't like the tomato jello with vegetables, though.

Did you guys ever consider it might be a bit rude to call something gross that another person explicitly explained was a treat for them growing up? When did we become a bunch of foodie snobs around here?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3031 on: June 25, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »
We grew up poor.  These jellos were our desserts, plus th they used up the older vegetables rather than waste them.  Green jello with celery and olives was a treat.  I didn't like the tomato jello with vegetables, though.

Did you guys ever consider it might be a bit rude to call something gross that another person explicitly explained was a treat for them growing up? When did we become a bunch of foodie snobs around here?

Well people like different things so.... no?  I think bananas are gross, but I'm sure someone had them as a treat growing up.  Is anyone here offended?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3032 on: June 25, 2014, 11:11:43 PM »

Well people like different things so.... no?  I think bananas are gross, but I'm sure someone had them as a treat growing up.  Is anyone here offended?

J'ACCUSE...!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:20:15 PM by I.P. Daley »

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #3033 on: June 26, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »
My mother was the queen of the Jell-O salad:  favorite ingredients - Cool-Whip, canned pineapple and miniature marshmallows.

I love this stuff!  My grandmother used to make a cranberry ring for thanksgiving every year, it had cranberries, crushed pineapple, nuts, and some other stuff in it, it's my absolute favorite way to eat cranberries.   But then I love Jello.  As someone mentioned, aspics are made with unflavored gelatin.  These days we mostly associate gelatins with sweet dishes, but they can make good savory dishes as well.

This whole side thread, however, reminds me of the jello mold from Christmas Vacation.  With the cat food on top.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3034 on: June 26, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »
If they look unappetizing to you, think how they'd look if you hadn't had a lot to eat that week.

I wouldn't think twice. Everything tastes better when you're super hungry.

Sounds like your mom was a very early implementer of mustachianism. Good for her.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #3035 on: June 26, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »

To derail the derail, did you know that the bananas we eat aren't the same ones your grandparents ate? The world used to eat the Gros Michel cultivar, which was reportedly more sweet and flavorful than bananas today. (Gros Michel simply meaning "Big Mike," which is an awesome name for a banana.)

But being a monoculture, the lack of genetic diversity left it susceptible to disease. In the early half of the 20th century, Panama disease nearly wiped out the cultivar altogether. It inspired the 1923 novelty song, "Yes, We Have No Bananas." By the 50s you couldn't get a goddamn banana nowheres.

Enter the shitty Cavendish banana, the world's runner-up. It's a banana only a mother could love. (My mom loves Cavendish bananas.) It's a little starchier and more bitter than the Gros Michel, but don't worry about that, because the chief selling point of the Cavendish is that you can grow it when your entire Gros Michel plantation is wiped out by marauding fungus.

And, I should note, with humanity having not learned a goddamn thing from Panama disease, Cavendish is another monoculture, with the singular cultivar representing around 50% of all the bananas grown in the entire world, leaving it vulnerable for a single disease or pest to wipe out the world's entire banana supply in short order, again.

(I learned all this from Michael Pollan, this is me plugging his books.)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3036 on: June 26, 2014, 04:35:18 PM »
[...]

And, I should note, with humanity having not learned a goddamn thing from Panama disease, Cavendish is another monoculture, with the singular cultivar representing around 50% of all the bananas grown in the entire world, leaving it vulnerable for a single disease or pest to wipe out the world's entire banana supply in short order, again.

[...]

I've definitely read that the cavendishes are on their way out, too. It would be great if the US started importing and distributing a wider variety of banana cultivars. The store by my bf's apt has baby bananas (which are a different cultivar) and they're pretty dang delicious. ...but you can't find them where I live. Sadface.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3037 on: June 26, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
Enter Tropical Race 4...

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3038 on: June 26, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »
For those who like the pictures of Jello salads, you gotta check out James Lilek's Gallery of Regrettable Food.

Enjoy!

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3039 on: June 26, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »

To derail the derail, did you know that the bananas we eat aren't the same ones your grandparents ate? The world used to eat the Gros Michel cultivar, which was reportedly more sweet and flavorful than bananas today. (Gros Michel simply meaning "Big Mike," which is an awesome name for a banana.)

But being a monoculture, the lack of genetic diversity left it susceptible to disease. In the early half of the 20th century, Panama disease nearly wiped out the cultivar altogether. It inspired the 1923 novelty song, "Yes, We Have No Bananas." By the 50s you couldn't get a goddamn banana nowheres.

Enter the shitty Cavendish banana, the world's runner-up. It's a banana only a mother could love. (My mom loves Cavendish bananas.) It's a little starchier and more bitter than the Gros Michel, but don't worry about that, because the chief selling point of the Cavendish is that you can grow it when your entire Gros Michel plantation is wiped out by marauding fungus.

(I learned all this from Michael Pollan, this is me plugging his books.)

Sweeter and more flavor?  No thanks.  I'm cool with plantains, though, because they aren't so mushy or sweet.

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #3040 on: June 26, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
Went to lunch with two coworkers…. my supervisors son was looking for furniture for bedroom was going to be $2k which I thought was high… his girlfriend said $2k was to cheap and he needed to spend atleast $8k for a bedroom set.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3041 on: June 26, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »
Went to lunch with two coworkers…. my supervisors son was looking for furniture for bedroom was going to be $2k which I thought was high… his girlfriend said $2k was to cheap and he needed to spend atleast $8k for a bedroom set.
Yeesh, our whole 3 bedroom, 1600sqf house was furnished for under $2k...

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3042 on: June 26, 2014, 06:41:47 PM »

Wonder if the type who would spend $8k on a "bedroom suite" would also be the type to be bothered if they found out that they're considered super unstylish and outdated in the decor world?    I'm thinking they would be....sucks to be them, then.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3043 on: June 27, 2014, 08:50:20 AM »
Wonder if the type who would spend $8k on a "bedroom suite" would also be the type to be bothered if they found out that they're considered super unstylish and outdated in the decor world?    I'm thinking they would be....sucks to be them, then.

What a bunch of chumps. :)

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #3044 on: June 27, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »

What do people mean when they say "need to spend at  least "X" amount of money? I've never understood this because each person has a different idea of what they need for that space and there will always be a plethora of options with ranging prices for these items.

$8,000 for a bedroom set...no thanks.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3045 on: June 27, 2014, 09:47:57 AM »

What do people mean when they say "need to spend at  least "X" amount of money? I've never understood this because each person has a different idea of what they need for that space and there will always be a plethora of options with ranging prices for these items.

$8,000 for a bedroom set...no thanks.
I don't think I have 8k invested into all of the belongings in my house! Insane in the membrane.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3046 on: June 27, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »
Neither have I, but I guess you could get some pretty cool furniture for 8k assuming you have some sense of style as well. I've personally never cared too much about that kind of stuff.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3047 on: June 27, 2014, 10:13:44 AM »
those banana factoids were super interesting. thanks Sonorous Epithet!

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #3048 on: June 27, 2014, 10:23:36 AM »
This girl came from big money and never worked a day in her life from what I was told.   Heard she is a ex now.  Good move on that guys part.

Rbuckyfuller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3049 on: June 27, 2014, 03:04:24 PM »
I'm at a work function with a young BigLaw associate; we work in Midtown Manhattan on Park Ave.  He makes 160k or more.   Because partnership prospects are terrible, I make an off-hand comment that you just have to save as much as you can while you still have a job.  He mentions that he doesn't understand how people save money.  I'm confused (I save 60-70% of my salary) and it turns out that for Manhattan, his rent is dirt cheap.  So I get really confused.

Me: Okay. . . . .  So what do you spend it on?
Him: Man, we work on Park Avenue, everything is hella expensive.
Me: Right; I agree. So what do you spend it on?
Him: Man, I must spend $50-60 a day just on food, minimum.   Have you ever been to Dishes??[a local to-go lunch place that is hella expensive].  I mean, you get lunch and it is $26.
Me: Yeah.  Dishes is hella expensive.  But you know what isn't hella expensive?  The food cart right next to Dishes.
Him: Come on man, we make 6-figures.  I'm not eating at a freaking food cart.
Me (to myself): [If you live like you make 6-figures, and you make 6-figures, of course you are never going to save any money.  Simple, simple math.]