Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253041 times)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7500 on: March 31, 2015, 04:34:26 AM »
A $100k drama degree very well might be unless you become the next drew barrymore.

Well to become the next Drew Barrymore, first you'd have to born into a family that already has a legacy in Hollywood and get cast in your first major motion picture before you're 10 years old. No degree needed. ;)
That also works for CEO positions or political ambitions. It just helps if people on the same "hight" of job already did know you wjhen you were small and cute :D

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #7501 on: March 31, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
It seems like most of my CW are semi-Mustachians (is that a thing), in that they all drive older model cars and bring their lunches to work. However, the few anti-Mustachians more than make up for it:

CW: What kind of vacuum cleaner do you have?
Me: I have a Dyson (bought before I discovered MMM and was a consumerist sucka). Why? Are you looking for a new vacuum?
CW: Yes. Mine isn't that old, but it's making a really weird and loud noise when I use it.
Me: Why don't you look for a vacuum machine repair shop? There's bound to be one in your area.
CW: I hadn't thought of that, that's a good idea!

Fast forward a few weeks. I had remembered to ask a follow up about the vacuum:

Me: Did you ever find a vacuum repair shop?
CW: No, I had my eye on this one vacuum cleaner. I found it at (discount box store) on a discount, and I had a coupon. I wound up getting the $300 vaccum for $63.00! I don't know what I'm going to do with my old one, though.

Granted, that is a good discount. But chances are the repair on her two-ish year old vacuum would likely have been less than she paid for the new vacuum.
Point of order:
There's consumerist sucka, and then there's functional shit that takes a beating and still delivers. I got tired of struggling with cheap hand-me-down vaccums and spent ~$300 on a refurb Dyson, which still sucks like a pro after 4 years. The dog hair it's processed could clothe an army. Thus, I consider this no more wasteful than my commercial-grade mop bucket, or my DeWalt tools, all of which are like new (functionally) after at least that long. If any of them broke, I'd fix them - because they're quality tools built to last, which makes them worth fixing. Not so much with the things I used to have.
In your CW's case, the merits of fixing vs. replacing would depend on the original equipment. If they actually got something better that will require less maintenance in the long run, and for only $63, then bravo. Now all they need to do is figure out a way to cash out any remaining value in that old one....

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7502 on: March 31, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »
It seems like most of my CW are semi-Mustachians (is that a thing), in that they all drive older model cars and bring their lunches to work. However, the few anti-Mustachians more than make up for it:

CW: What kind of vacuum cleaner do you have?
Me: I have a Dyson (bought before I discovered MMM and was a consumerist sucka). Why? Are you looking for a new vacuum?
CW: Yes. Mine isn't that old, but it's making a really weird and loud noise when I use it.
Me: Why don't you look for a vacuum machine repair shop? There's bound to be one in your area.
CW: I hadn't thought of that, that's a good idea!

Fast forward a few weeks. I had remembered to ask a follow up about the vacuum:

Me: Did you ever find a vacuum repair shop?
CW: No, I had my eye on this one vacuum cleaner. I found it at (discount box store) on a discount, and I had a coupon. I wound up getting the $300 vaccum for $63.00! I don't know what I'm going to do with my old one, though.

Granted, that is a good discount. But chances are the repair on her two-ish year old vacuum would likely have been less than she paid for the new vacuum.
Point of order:
There's consumerist sucka, and then there's functional shit that takes a beating and still delivers. I got tired of struggling with cheap hand-me-down vaccums and spent ~$300 on a refurb Dyson, which still sucks like a pro after 4 years. The dog hair it's processed could clothe an army. Thus, I consider this no more wasteful than my commercial-grade mop bucket, or my DeWalt tools, all of which are like new (functionally) after at least that long. If any of them broke, I'd fix them - because they're quality tools built to last, which makes them worth fixing. Not so much with the things I used to have.
In your CW's case, the merits of fixing vs. replacing would depend on the original equipment. If they actually got something better that will require less maintenance in the long run, and for only $63, then bravo. Now all they need to do is figure out a way to cash out any remaining value in that old one....

Can't agree more. We have a refurbished dyson (bought from Woot) and I think I'm going to get a Mielhe next time...

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7503 on: March 31, 2015, 03:53:40 PM »
My 10-year old Dyson still going strong.  I just ordered a new hose, and I have an extra filter.  Really love that it's so easy to order parts for it, and I can take so much of it apart without tools.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7504 on: March 31, 2015, 04:12:34 PM »
My 10-year old Dyson still going strong.  I just ordered a new hose, and I have an extra filter.  Really love that it's so easy to order parts for it, and I can take so much of it apart without tools.

I also have a 10+ year Dyson.  But I'm lazy so that's not saying too much.  The problem with anecdotes like this is we have no idea if current models will last so long!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7505 on: March 31, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »
I totally apologize for continuing the vacuum-related foam:

We got an Electrolux stick/hand vac combo for our laminate floored 1BR. It. Is. The. Best. Because you can grab it from the charger anytime and clean up any dusty corner or rug, any small mess, any scary spider you find hiding in your tupperware. Probably wouldn't work for a big, carpeted place all on its own, but it definitely encourages regular upkeep!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7506 on: March 31, 2015, 05:47:59 PM »
"A million dollars really isn't that much money anymore."

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7507 on: March 31, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »

Every once in a while a handful of us will do a lotto pool.  We were playing a smaller one, around 40mil.  The payout after taxes would have been about 3mil each.

CW: Yea that's not that much, it's not like it'd be enough to stop working
Me: That would be $120k/yr forever
CW: Exactly, so you'd have to keep working
Me: O_o

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7508 on: March 31, 2015, 06:09:16 PM »

Every once in a while a handful of us will do a lotto pool.  We were playing a smaller one, around 40mil.  The payout after taxes would have been about 3mil each.

I can't even. Barring paying for multiple kids' tuitions at expensive private universities in full (and even that should be only for four years per kid), how the fuck can somebody spend that much in a year?
I doubt I could spend that much even if I tried.

KingGeorgeHarrison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7509 on: March 31, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »
Friend the other day attempted to argue that $12m was not enough to retire on. How can people be so financially illiterate? We spend at least 40 hours and more likely 50+ hours per week devoted to earning this money and to be so willy-nilly with it is baffling.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7510 on: March 31, 2015, 09:11:25 PM »
Friend the other day attempted to argue that $12m was not enough to retire on. How can people be so financially illiterate? We spend at least 40 hours and more likely 50+ hours per week devoted to earning this money and to be so willy-nilly with it is baffling.

Of course it isn't! That's less than half a million a year with a 4% withdrawal rate. Jet fuel isn't free, you know?

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #7511 on: March 31, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »

I've participated in these as well. I used to be the guy who would say "Even if I won, I would keep working." Now, it would be more like the scene out of Half Baked: "FU. FU. FU. You're cool. FU. I'm out."

Link for those who haven't seen it (NSFW, language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTOKJTRHMdw

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #7512 on: March 31, 2015, 10:05:22 PM »
We had 12 bus drivers near me win around Ł3 million each. All quit their jobs (though no no-one did walk off leaving the bus half way round a route which was the rumour for a while!). It's a very Labour, working class town - the standing joke was the lottery created more job vacancies in the town than the Conservatives had ever managed to do. 

Where I used to work we had a lottery syndicate. One director was worried about the impact on the company if we won - so she joined as well so she could lead the conga out the door :) Never happened though.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:07:02 PM by gallygirl »

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #7513 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:23 PM »
I can't even. Barring paying for multiple kids' tuitions at expensive private universities in full (and even that should be only for four years per kid), how the fuck can somebody spend that much in a year?

Neither can sorority girls; that's why they go out in groups of three. Try this book...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:35:48 PM by Wings5 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7514 on: March 31, 2015, 10:33:51 PM »

It might not be illiteracy.  Your friend might have a goal to live large.  The largest life possible.  In which case, no amount of money is enough to stop hustling.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #7515 on: March 31, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »
That is hilarious wings5!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7516 on: April 01, 2015, 05:24:15 AM »

I've participated in these as well. I used to be the guy who would say "Even if I won, I would keep working." Now, it would be more like the scene out of Half Baked: "FU. FU. FU. You're cool. FU. I'm out."

Link for those who haven't seen it (NSFW, language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTOKJTRHMdw
Yep that's what I would do too.... there are days it's hard to resist even though I am nowhere near FI.... one of these days though.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7517 on: April 01, 2015, 05:35:41 AM »

B/c they arent looking at their spending they are looking at what they are making.  i fell into the same trap before i found this site last year.  Most people save "some" of their salary.  also FICA and taxes come in to play too.  so once you take out those expenses.  you would likely pay 0 tax on the 120k b/c it would be in qualifying accounts ie LTCGs or QDs.  and pretty much forever you wouldnt be paying taxes b/c you'd be in the 15% bracket on earnings.  so 120k per year in taxable withdraws is really closer to 150-160k in annual income.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7518 on: April 01, 2015, 07:13:26 AM »

B/c they arent looking at their spending they are looking at what they are making.  i fell into the same trap before i found this site last year.  Most people save "some" of their salary.  also FICA and taxes come in to play too.  so once you take out those expenses.  you would likely pay 0 tax on the 120k b/c it would be in qualifying accounts ie LTCGs or QDs.  and pretty much forever you wouldnt be paying taxes b/c you'd be in the 15% bracket on earnings.  so 120k per year in taxable withdraws is really closer to 150-160k in annual income.

Heh true. Lots of people have no idea how much they spend in a year, but they do know their gross income and their paycheck amounts (which is probably not going to multiply out to their net income because they probably have their tax withholding set up incorrectly).

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7519 on: April 01, 2015, 07:25:01 AM »

Heh true. Lots of people have no idea how much they spend in a year, but they do know their gross income and their paycheck amounts (which is probably not going to multiply out to their net income because they probably have their tax withholding set up incorrectly).

One coworker had a 6-figure income, had a husband with a 6-figure income, the husband had a 6-figure pension, and they had free healthcare for life through her husband's retirement. Yet she was teaching classes at a college on the side ($5k per class) on top of her busy job and being a parent to 4 kids because they "needed the money". They were bringing in at least $400k before the side job.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7520 on: April 01, 2015, 07:38:50 AM »

One coworker had a 6-figure income, had a husband with a 6-figure income, the husband had a 6-figure pension, and they had free healthcare for life through her husband's retirement. Yet she was teaching classes at a college on the side ($5k per class) on top of her busy job and being a parent to 4 kids because they "needed the money". They were bringing in at least $400k before the side job.

That is incredibly sad, maybe she was trying to stay away from home, 4 kids can be a bunch especially if they are entitled brats ;)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7521 on: April 01, 2015, 08:03:22 AM »

That is incredibly sad, maybe she was trying to stay away from home, 4 kids can be a bunch especially if they are entitled brats ;)

2 weren't living with them any more (older). But they were probably spoiled.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #7522 on: April 01, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »
I think I have a pretty good one.

When I started my job I was given a company iPad. I think an older one - it is four years old now. I never use it, because I know I am going to retire in the next couple of years and I didn't want to get attached/break it. My coworker uses his all the time and something stopped working. He asked our supervisor for a new one. This caused us all to get brand new iPad Airs. I even said I didn't want one, and that my current one was fine. Nope, still have a brand new iPad Air. Not even sure exactly what they are doing with the old ones.

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #7523 on: April 01, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »

When I started my job I was given a company iPad. I think an older one - it is four years old now. I never use it, because I know I am going to retire in the next couple of years and I didn't want to get attached/break it. My coworker uses his all the time and something stopped working. He asked our supervisor for a new one. This caused us all to get brand new iPad Airs. I even said I didn't want one, and that my current one was fine. Nope, still have a brand new iPad Air. Not even sure exactly what they are doing with the old ones.

I confess we're hooked on our iPad-- it has 3G and we use it a lot while traveling.  That said, my husband does not have a cell phone and I only have a work one-- so the iPad is our primary lifeline to the world when we travel, at $20/month (which we can turn off and on as needed).  That also said, it's about four years old, still works great, and (knock on wood) there's no reason to fix what isn't broken. 

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #7524 on: April 01, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »

I confess we're hooked on our iPad-- it has 3G and we use it a lot while traveling.  That said, my husband does not have a cell phone and I only have a work one-- so the iPad is our primary lifeline to the world when we travel, at $20/month (which we can turn off and on as needed).  That also said, it's about four years old, still works great, and (knock on wood) there's no reason to fix what isn't broken.
Hahaha! I am currently reading from the company iPad. Executive within my department is an Ifreak and upgrades every time a new Idevice comes out. Two IPads ago, I received the old one. It is really nice, but it isn't nearly as good as my ancient laptop I have had since college. Spreadsheets being a big one. I think a lot of people would agree on this board.

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7525 on: April 01, 2015, 09:34:03 PM »
"I just hired a financial manager, to manage my finances.  Only $750 a year."  Yeesh.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7526 on: April 02, 2015, 01:39:32 AM »
"I just hired a financial manager, to manage my finances.  Only $750 a year."  Yeesh.
I'll do the job for only $500 ;)

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7527 on: April 02, 2015, 06:17:16 AM »
Hahaha! I am currently reading from the company iPad. Executive within my department is an Ifreak and upgrades every time a new Idevice comes out. Two IPads ago, I received the old one. It is really nice, but it isn't nearly as good as my ancient laptop I have had since college. Spreadsheets being a big one. I think a lot of people would agree on this board.

iPads are terrible for creating content, in general. They're really designed more for consumption.

I'm heavily involved with the mobility program for my employer; there are a lot of specific use cases that tablets are great for, but they're just awful for general office productivity.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7528 on: April 02, 2015, 06:37:41 AM »

yeah, I have not really understood the appeal of an iPad. if I'm out and about, my phone is fine, I don't need a huge screen. if I'm sitting down somewhere, I'd rather just have a fully functional laptop (or even a Surface or similar... not that I would ever spend that much money, but my dad has one and it's pretty sweet). I guess I can see it as a good kid entertainment device, as much as I hate that idea :)

iPads are terrible for creating content, in general. They're really designed more for consumption.

yeah, that makes sense to me!

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7529 on: April 02, 2015, 06:38:54 AM »
Point of order:

Can't agree more. We have a refurbished dyson (bought from Woot) and I think I'm going to get a Mielhe next time...

A third vote for that! I got a discontinued floor-model Miele for half price on eBay, and a friend got one used on Craigslist. FANTASTIC vacuum cleaners. If at some distant point in the future it breaks, I can get parts cheap on eBay too.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7530 on: April 02, 2015, 07:24:22 AM »
I overheard a co-worker who is always complaining about CC debt (but unwilling to take any serious steps to pay it back quickly) chatting this week about how a sibling returned a car they had been borrowing.

I chimed in to ask if this was a second car and the answer was yes. I suggested selling one of the cars to pay back some of the debt and it was explained to me that this was a terrible idea because:

1. the car is worth $1000-$1500 and this is "not enough to make it worth selling"
and
2. a second car is needed to transport pets around so that pet hair doesn't get in the primary car.

Apparently everyone else in the office agrees that the above are valid points.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7531 on: April 02, 2015, 07:30:50 AM »
I overheard a co-worker who is always complaining about CC debt (but unwilling to take any serious steps to pay it back quickly) chatting this week about how a sibling returned a car they had been borrowing.

I chimed in to ask if this was a second car and the answer was yes. I suggested selling one of the cars to pay back some of the debt and it was explained to me that this was a terrible idea because:

1. the car is worth $1000-$1500 and this is "not enough to make it worth selling"
and
2. a second car is needed to transport pets around so that pet hair doesn't get in the primary car.

But if the car is only worth $1500, who cares about dog hair? Plastic bags are cheaper than a new car anyways...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7532 on: April 02, 2015, 07:45:15 AM »

and

But if the car is only worth $1500, who cares about dog hair? Plastic bags are cheaper than a new car anyways...
I think the point they were making is "we'll use the old, junky car for hauling around the pets, and keep the nicer (primary) car pet-free".

It.....kinda makes sense, I guess.  But only if you consider the cost of that second vehicle (gas, insurance, registration, maintenance, etc) to be part of the cost of owning pets.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7533 on: April 02, 2015, 07:48:16 AM »

and

I think the point they were making is "we'll use the old, junky car for hauling around the pets, and keep the nicer (primary) car pet-free".

It.....kinda makes sense, I guess.  But only if you consider the cost of that second vehicle (gas, insurance, registration, maintenance, etc) to be part of the cost of owning pets.

I guess I'm too mustachian and it makes no sense to me :D.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7534 on: April 02, 2015, 07:59:04 AM »

I guess I'm too mustachian and it makes no sense to me :D.

Nor I. So your dog is too dirty to go in your car, but you let it live in your house? Huh?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7535 on: April 02, 2015, 08:04:49 AM »

and

Makes perfect sense to me, after I just spent 10 minutes at the office with a lint roller getting my dogs hair off of me--and that was after 15 minutes in the car with a vacuum and a lint roller getting it off of the seats.

But I don't have credit card debt, or any debt for that matter.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7536 on: April 02, 2015, 08:40:32 AM »

and

If the old car isn't worth enough to make it worth selling, they should sell the main/fancy car and pay off the debt and drive around the old one! They can also buy a 3-pack of lint rollers for ~$5 to take care of the pet hair issue.

Honestly it's not like they won't have pet hair on them all the time anyway just because the pets don't go in their main car, so they would need the lint rollers in addition to the 2 cars.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7537 on: April 02, 2015, 09:25:53 AM »

You know for $5 they could get a blanket and cover the seats. Eejits.
I literally still have traces of new car smell (3yo/35k miles) and it works with two stinky dogs. I haul their furry asses all over town like that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:38:35 AM by zephyr911 »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7538 on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »

and

If the old car isn't worth enough to make it worth selling, they should sell the main/fancy car and pay off the debt and drive around the old one! They can also buy a 3-pack of lint rollers for ~$5 to take care of the pet hair issue.

Honestly it's not like they won't have pet hair on them all the time anyway just because the pets don't go in their main car, so they would need the lint rollers in addition to the 2 cars.

Oh god, yes. Pet hair is everywhere, you can never get rid of it completely.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7539 on: April 02, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »

Sounds a lot better than someone charging a percentage when you have a lot of money.  Like my boss paying an adviser 1% to manage his finances.   He has a heck of a lot more than $75k being manage, meaning he pays a heck of a lot more than $750/yr.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7540 on: April 02, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »
I am definitely not a dog person so I probably just don't get it. I wouldn't want dog fur all over the inside of my car. Then again, I don't want dog fur all over the inside of my house!

Seems like if you sign up to love and care for these beasts, dog fur comes as part of the package. If you don't want dog fur in your nice car, either your car is too nice or you shouldn't have pets.....?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7541 on: April 02, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »
I am definitely not a dog person so I probably just don't get it. I wouldn't want dog fur all over the inside of my car. Then again, I don't want dog fur all over the inside of my house!

Seems like if you sign up to love and care for these beasts, dog fur comes as part of the package. If you don't want dog fur in your nice car, either your car is too nice or you shouldn't have pets.....?

Or you could do as my parents did and get a non-shedding dog. Of course there is still some cleanup to be done but there isn't a ton of hair all over the place. I would love to get a dog some day but I want to first ensure that I am capable of giving the dog the attention and love they will deserve and require, and am in a place where I am ok with the inevitable damage they may cause (chewing, urinating, damage to other things, ect).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7542 on: April 02, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »
Or you could do as my parents did and get a non-shedding dog. Of course there is still some cleanup to be done but there isn't a ton of hair all over the place. I would love to get a dog some day but I want to first ensure that I am capable of giving the dog the attention and love they will deserve and require, and am in a place where I am ok with the inevitable damage they may cause (chewing, urinating, damage to other things, ect).
Much respect for that. It's a shame how many people don't think about these things before getting one.
I went the first decade of my adulthood loving the idea but knowing my lifestyle wouldn't support it. Once I made the jump, I never looked back, but I'm glad I waited.
Now they're such a part of my life that I can't imagine being without them. :D <3

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7543 on: April 02, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »
Much respect for that. It's a shame how many people don't think about these things before getting one.
I went the first decade of my adulthood loving the idea but knowing my lifestyle wouldn't support it. Once I made the jump, I never looked back, but I'm glad I waited.
Now they're such a part of my life that I can't imagine being without them. :D <3

Agree completely. Fiance and I want a dog badly (the dog referenced above is actually my parents; I'm living with them until Fiance gets a job where I am), but we're not home enough to be fair to the dog. Especially when you consider the amount of love and joy they give to you.

Heck, I feel bad that my parents dog is alone for 7-8 hours a day, even though I know he just sleeps all day (old dog, wasn't always alone all day)

EricL

« Reply #7544 on: April 02, 2015, 02:38:02 PM »
There are a lot of uses for cat and dog hair varying from silly to ingenius.  I'd post links but there are so many it would be gratuitous. Search.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7545 on: April 03, 2015, 05:35:17 AM »

I literally still have traces of new car smell (3yo/35k miles)
Argh, I hate that stink. And there are people buying spray for their car so that the stink continues. brrrrrr

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #7546 on: April 03, 2015, 08:59:59 AM »
Discussing a TV show competition (Biggest Loser) with a cash payout:

Me: With a prize of $250k on the line, I would pretty much do anything to guarantee the win and the cash.
CW1: $250k really isn't that much
CW2: Yeah, $250k is basically only a house - I wouldn’t go that crazy.
Me: “blank stare…”

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #7547 on: April 03, 2015, 09:11:10 AM »

Me: With a prize of $250k on the line, I would pretty much do anything to guarantee the win and the cash.

Heh, fun fact, my good friend won BL a few years ago.  The real money is in all the endorsements and after the fact corporate attention.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #7548 on: April 03, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
Same CW who told me earlier that $250k wasn’t that much money now just reminded me about the “great deal” that a local grocery delivery service is currently offering…

Spend $30 (plus delivery fee) and get a free bag of baby carrots which costs $0.99 at most stores.

I don’t think that she understands that carrots really aren’t free and that the service is costing you more money than the time it is saving by not going to the store…I’ve never understood the allure of these services.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7549 on: April 03, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »

Heh, fun fact, my good friend won BL a few years ago.  The real money is in all the endorsements and after the fact corporate attention.

Congrats to your friend! Yeah, the prize money is likely great by itself but I imagine the additional perks are nice. Plus I'm sure that they will want to bring you back in from time to time. Has your friend managed to keep off the weight and are they happy with the changes?