Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252454 times)

Tigerpine

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #10450 on: September 14, 2015, 06:30:06 PM »
Maybe it's a lack of cross culture exposure, but recently I've ran into a lot of people on the internet lacking in understanding of Asian culture, and confusing Japanese, Korean, and Chinese culture as sort of the same thing.   Looking through Wikipedia it would seem that Asian countries vary as much as their culture does in the funding of public schools, China funding only through the 9th grade, whereas the article on Japan did not mention if primary school is covered, but that high school is not.

With my vast experience being in Taiwan, public and private schools alike are not free, they pay tuition for each child they have in school.  In some families this can become a large burden with multiple children in school, but also as a part of culture they have a strong desire (and incentive) to have their kids get ahead and encourage them to have good careers.  The incentive being that the eldest child takes care of the parents during their retirement (essentially kids are their retirement plan), traditionally the eldest son, but in more recent times could be shared amongst all children, and a family without sons may rely on the daughter, but I digress.

My point being that it is ironic to claim the failure to provide free K-12 education would mean to import scientists from countries that also don't provide free K-12 education.
FYI, compulsory education in Japan is 6 years of elementary school and 3 years of middle school.  It's publicly funded, but they don't hire janitors or have central heating, cooling, etc.  They might central heating up north in Hokkaido, though.  I only know central and western Japan through direct experience.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10451 on: September 14, 2015, 06:49:27 PM »
I'm trying to decide if it's morally acceptable for me to drive a mile round-trip to get free food.

I always walked in the past, but my knee got blown from a too-strenuous hike. I walked two miles yesterday, thinking it was healed, and it hurts again.

Hmph.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10452 on: September 14, 2015, 07:30:41 PM »
Maybe it's a lack of cross culture exposure, but recently I've ran into a lot of people on the internet lacking in understanding of Asian culture, and confusing Japanese, Korean, and Chinese culture as sort of the same thing.   Looking through Wikipedia it would seem that Asian countries vary as much as their culture does in the funding of public schools, China funding only through the 9th grade, whereas the article on Japan did not mention if primary school is covered, but that high school is not.

With my vast experience being in Taiwan, public and private schools alike are not free, they pay tuition for each child they have in school.  In some families this can become a large burden with multiple children in school, but also as a part of culture they have a strong desire (and incentive) to have their kids get ahead and encourage them to have good careers.  The incentive being that the eldest child takes care of the parents during their retirement (essentially kids are their retirement plan), traditionally the eldest son, but in more recent times could be shared amongst all children, and a family without sons may rely on the daughter, but I digress.

My point being that it is ironic to claim the failure to provide free K-12 education would mean to import scientists from countries that also don't provide free K-12 education.
FYI, compulsory education in Japan is 6 years of elementary school and 3 years of middle school.  It's publicly funded, but they don't hire janitors or have central heating, cooling, etc.  They might central heating up north in Hokkaido, though.  I only know central and western Japan through direct experience.

Also, it's fairly typical for even the publicly funded schools to expect a regular 'work day' from students.  The kids clean the classrooms and organize the library shelves, as an example.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10453 on: September 15, 2015, 07:24:53 AM »

I'm trying to decide if it's morally acceptable for me to drive a mile round-trip to get free food.

I always walked in the past, but my knee got blown from a too-strenuous hike. I walked two miles yesterday, thinking it was healed, and it hurts again.

Hmph.

Unless you drive a dragster or they give you baked potatoes only, it's certainly cost effective.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10454 on: September 15, 2015, 08:35:50 AM »
I normally order in the office supplies...I've gone on strike this past week and we are out of paper cups.  My theory was, if we don't have paper cups, of which we were going through 2-3 per person, per day, people will use the FULL cabinet of ceramic mugs, and then place them in the dishwasher when they are done (seriously they don't even have to wash them by hand, the office kitchen has a dishwasher).  As of 10 minutes ago, day 2 of being out of cups...they just took an "office order" to go get coffee from McDonalds down the way because they "were dragging without their coffee". 

I looked at them and went seriously...you are going to go BUY coffee, instead of washing a mug out (they've been in the cabinet forever) and using it?  Apparently that's a big fat yes.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10455 on: September 15, 2015, 08:54:34 AM »
I'm guessing there were enough mugs for everybody? Do they know that they are permitted to use the mugs?

I find this really strange. But then, I bought my own mug to keep at work for coffee because I felt wasteful throwing using those cups.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10456 on: September 15, 2015, 09:01:48 AM »
Tragedy of the masses. Because the first people simply tossed them in the sink instead of the dishwasher, no one else is going to do it. It's frankly pathetic.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10457 on: September 15, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »
One of my jobs had free coffee but it was disgusting.

I would walk to McD's every morning after the morning team meeting and get a coffee from there. After it was about a 1/4 full, I'd top it off with the free stuff for my 2nd cup.

$1 everyday at McD. You spendypants bastard!

If Chris can let his AC go at the stop lights with support, then I can get support for $1 coffee. :P For what it's worth, I also walked to and from work everyday to begin with.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10458 on: September 15, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
I normally order in the office supplies...I've gone on strike this past week and we are out of paper cups.  My theory was, if we don't have paper cups, of which we were going through 2-3 per person, per day, people will use the FULL cabinet of ceramic mugs, and then place them in the dishwasher when they are done (seriously they don't even have to wash them by hand, the office kitchen has a dishwasher).  As of 10 minutes ago, day 2 of being out of cups...they just took an "office order" to go get coffee from McDonalds down the way because they "were dragging without their coffee". 

I looked at them and went seriously...you are going to go BUY coffee, instead of washing a mug out (they've been in the cabinet forever) and using it?  Apparently that's a big fat yes.

Perhaps more people would utilize the cups if there was a prominent sign with instructions. It'd only help if they didn't know that they could use it though.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10459 on: September 15, 2015, 09:59:51 AM »

I would walk to McD's every morning after the morning team meeting and get a coffee from there. After it was about a 1/4 full, I'd top it off with the free stuff for my 2nd cup.

If Chris can let his AC go at the stop lights with support, then I can get support for $1 coffee. :P For what it's worth, I also walked to and from work everyday to begin with.

Drove to work this AM, top down.  Don't remember the A/C being on, but I didn't intentionally turn it on.  I dunno.  Daughter insisted we take "Red car" to preschool instead of normal "black car."  (Preschool at the end of the block, I understand I'm putting her life in grave danger driving 200yds at 17mph without a car seat and near the airbag, I accept it, blah blah). 

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #10460 on: September 15, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »
The place I used to work had a fantastic ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan). The way it worked was you would have them deduct up to 15% of your paycheck (pre-tax) which would be placed into a special account for you. At the end of 6 months, the money in that account would be used to buy shares of the company at a 15% discount (there were some other provisions about price of the stock at start and end of the 6 month period that could make it WAY more valuable but worst case, you got 15% off the price). You could then set it up to automatically sell those shares immediately. So no risk, no chance of loosing money, it would be taxed the same as your normal paycheck income.

So lets say you make 100k/year, 50k/6 months. Lets say the stock is trading at $100/share. You take your 15% of 50k ($7500) buy 88.24 shares at $85/share and auto sell them for $8823.53. Your profit is $1323.53 every 6 months or $2647 every year WORST CASE. (I had one year I profited close to $10,000 because of the other provisions).

I was completely unable to convince a singe person on my team (all young single guys making more than $100k/year) to sign up. Every 6 months I would have a conversation like:

Me: Wow, I just made X thousand dollars with the ESPP!
CW: Cool! I should sign up for that, how does it work?
Me: <explains above> (Setting this up required filling out one online form with 3 questions every 6 months.)
CW: "That sounds complicated, not worth it to me" or "You mean your paycheck is 15% less every week? How do you manage that? I could never do it." or "There must be some catch. Next time I'm sure you'll lose money. Let's see how you do in 6 months"

It was so frustrating. Here I was telling my co-workers how to get a 2.5% raise and no one would fill out the form to make it happen. At least I'm pretty sure they all were maxing their 401k match because that was another 3.5% free raise.

Eventually the company ditched the ESPP program for lack of participation and I found a new job a little later. In my exit interview I said "when they took away the ESPP program that was effectively a 2.5% pay cut for me." My manager thought I was making up numbers so I then had to explain how the program worked to him too. He at least said "oh I guess you're right, sorry about that."

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10461 on: September 15, 2015, 10:20:25 AM »
I'm guessing there were enough mugs for everybody? Do they know that they are permitted to use the mugs?

I find this really strange. But then, I bought my own mug to keep at work for coffee because I felt wasteful throwing using those cups.

There are enough mugs for everyone in the office to have 2, and they ALL know they are there for the using as I have pointed them out, placed signs on the doors etc.  They were left over marketing stock from when our company changed logos, we all took some of the old ones home and put the last couple of cases in the kitchen for everyone to use.

We have a Keurig, and, I kid you not, 15 different types of coffee pods, so it's not the coffee being gross as there have been zero complaints about it before.  We also have a FULL size regular coffee pot that I donated to the kitchen (DH and I don't drink it and we somehow ended up with 2 as wedding gifts) along with a whole tub of Gevalia coffee that I brought in.  Everyone is too lazy to put in the coffee filter and water and turn it on, so industrial Keurig it is.  Now, if I make a pot of coffee it gets gobbled up, but then no one ever refills it, empties the grounds, cleans it, or even turns the damn thing off so I gave up on making pots, especially when I don't drink the stuff.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10462 on: September 15, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
I had an ESPP at an old employer too.  Similar deal, I think we could either do 5% or 10%, I forget which, but ours ran quarterly.  However, since I was in finance, and considered to have privileged information, I had to wait for the earnings release to sell.  One quarter in 2008, we lost enough from the end of the buying period to the end of the quiet period when I could sell that we lost all of the gains, plus the 15% discount, and then some.  Instead of paying $100 and getting $115, you got something like $92.  Sucked.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10463 on: September 15, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »
We've got a KSOP--401k and ESOP in one. Ours sucks--the only part of it that is ESOP is the company match.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10464 on: September 15, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »
The place I used to work had a fantastic ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan). The way it worked was you would have them deduct up to 15% of your paycheck (pre-tax) which would be placed into a special account for you. At the end of 6 months, the money in that account would be used to buy shares of the company at a 15% discount (there were some other provisions about price of the stock at start and end of the 6 month period that could make it WAY more valuable but worst case, you got 15% off the price). You could then set it up to automatically sell those shares immediately. So no risk, no chance of loosing money, it would be taxed the same as your normal paycheck income.

So lets say you make 100k/year, 50k/6 months. Lets say the stock is trading at $100/share. You take your 15% of 50k ($7500) buy 88.24 shares at $85/share and auto sell them for $8823.53. Your profit is $1323.53 every 6 months or $2647 every year WORST CASE. (I had one year I profited close to $10,000 because of the other provisions).

I was completely unable to convince a singe person on my team (all young single guys making more than $100k/year) to sign up. Every 6 months I would have a conversation like:

Me: Wow, I just made X thousand dollars with the ESPP!
CW: Cool! I should sign up for that, how does it work?
Me: <explains above> (Setting this up required filling out one online form with 3 questions every 6 months.)
CW: "That sounds complicated, not worth it to me" or "You mean your paycheck is 15% less every week? How do you manage that? I could never do it." or "There must be some catch. Next time I'm sure you'll lose money. Let's see how you do in 6 months"

It was so frustrating. Here I was telling my co-workers how to get a 2.5% raise and no one would fill out the form to make it happen. At least I'm pretty sure they all were maxing their 401k match because that was another 3.5% free raise.

Eventually the company ditched the ESPP program for lack of participation and I found a new job a little later. In my exit interview I said "when they took away the ESPP program that was effectively a 2.5% pay cut for me." My manager thought I was making up numbers so I then had to explain how the program worked to him too. He at least said "oh I guess you're right, sorry about that."
That's terrible.  I miss the ESPP at my old company.  I definitely took a pay cut when I lost that.  Some years the starting stock price was $15 and then 6 months later it was at $25.  Those were great.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10465 on: September 15, 2015, 12:30:23 PM »

Drove to work this AM, top down.  Don't remember the A/C being on, but I didn't intentionally turn it on.  I dunno.  Daughter insisted we take "Red car" to preschool instead of normal "black car."  (Preschool at the end of the block, I understand I'm putting her life in grave danger driving 200yds at 17mph without a car seat and near the airbag, I accept it, blah blah).

Ok, guys, you were right... I guess he is a troll

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10466 on: September 15, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »

How's that trollish?

K-Dogg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10467 on: September 15, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
Background: CW1 texts me pictures of her new Jeep Compass she bought over the weekend. She makes around 60k/year and work is spotty this year with the recession.

CW1 – Just got this!
Me –   Wow, that looks hella expensive.
CW1 – Nah, it’s small.
Me –   My Mazda is smallish (there are smaller cars)

So Monday rolls around.

CW1 – Ya, it’s fully loaded: leather, moon roof, heated seats.
CW2 – Those are nice. Probably got a good deal on financing.
CW1 – I was surprised I got it. The dealership told me I wouldn’t qualify for 40k, but then they approved me for 45k!
Me – (head explodes)
CW2 – How much is the interest rate?
CW1 – Only 8.4%.
CW3 – That’s not bad! I was paying 29.99% for 4 years! But now I qualify for 0% so I’m going to go look at trucks tonight.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10468 on: September 15, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »
Background: CW1 texts me pictures of her new Jeep Compass she bought over the weekend. She makes around 60k/year and work is spotty this year with the recession.

CW1 – Just got this!
CW1 – Nah, it’s small.

So Monday rolls around.

CW1 – I was surprised I got it. The dealership told me I wouldn’t qualify for 40k, but then they approved me for 45k!
Me – (head explodes)
CW1 – Only 8.4%.
CW3 – That’s not bad! I was paying 29.99% for 4 years! But now I qualify for 0% so I’m going to go look at trucks tonight.

This is one of those conversations that just gets worse and worse the longer it goes on!

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10469 on: September 15, 2015, 12:50:49 PM »

CW1 – Just got this!
CW1 – Nah, it’s small.

So Monday rolls around.

Me – (head explodes)
CW1 – Only 8.4%.
I've never even heard of 29.99% auto loans! Wow, that conversation sounds painful.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10470 on: September 15, 2015, 12:51:17 PM »
$45k for a Jeep Compass??  The most expensive one I built on Edmunds just at a glance was $29k, and you should be able to get a healthy amount off of that (maybe $4-5k?)  You sure she didn't buy TWO??

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10471 on: September 15, 2015, 12:53:46 PM »

CW1 – Just got this!
CW1 – Nah, it’s small.

So Monday rolls around.

Me – (head explodes)
CW1 – Only 8.4%.

This is one of those conversations that just gets worse and worse the longer it goes on!

Is there any way that I can get in on this action? If people are dumb enough to pay 8.4% interest on a depreciating asset, I want to invest in this racket.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10472 on: September 15, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »
$45k for a Jeep Compass??  The most expensive one I built on Edmunds just at a glance was $29k, and you should be able to get a healthy amount off of that (maybe $4-5k?)  You sure she didn't buy TWO??

No kidding--I think they start at about $17,000 or so, give or take $2k? I'm calling foul on that post. Perhaps you meant a Grand Cherokee?

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #10473 on: September 15, 2015, 01:19:04 PM »

No kidding--I think they start at about $17,000 or so, give or take $2k? I'm calling foul on that post. Perhaps you meant a Grand Cherokee?
maybe she got the clear coat and the road side service and the extended warranty

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10474 on: September 15, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »

CW1 – Just got this!
CW1 – Nah, it’s small.

So Monday rolls around.

Me – (head explodes)
CW1 – Only 8.4%.

Is there any way that I can get in on this action? If people are dumb enough to pay 8.4% interest on a depreciating asset, I want to invest in this racket.

There's always money in exploiting the poor.  Buy Here Pay Here, Payday Loans, and Rent to Own is the wave of the future.  My wife invests in a sustainable energy investment fund... I'm thinking we need a Fuck the Poor investment fund to add to the portfolio.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10475 on: September 15, 2015, 04:17:45 PM »
There's always money in exploiting the poor.  Buy Here Pay Here, Payday Loans, and Rent to Own is the wave of the future.  My wife invests in a sustainable energy investment fund... I'm thinking we need a Fuck the Poor investment fund to add to the portfolio.
There are a few publicly traded private prisons companies out there. Maybe throw in some fast food corps and gambling and you've got yourself a fund.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10476 on: September 15, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »
There are a few publicly traded private prisons companies out there. Maybe throw in some fast food corps and gambling and you've got yourself a fund.
Don't forget cigarettes & beer.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10477 on: September 15, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »
What is the appeal of "buy here pay here?"  Like do dealerships often force people to pay somewhere else?

As to trolling comments... If you don't see it...

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #10478 on: September 15, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »

CW1 – Just got this!
CW1 – Nah, it’s small.

So Monday rolls around.

Me – (head explodes)
CW1 – Only 8.4%.

If you invest in an index fund, then you are already in on the action. The car companies and banks are probably listed on the index.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10479 on: September 15, 2015, 07:02:41 PM »
What is the appeal of "buy here pay here?"  Like do dealerships often force people to pay somewhere else?

Haha!  For those of you like me, who'd never heard of "buy here pay here" dealerships, autotrader explains:  http://buyherepayhere.autotrader.com/credit-help-center/what-is-buy-here-pay-here/5#.Vfi_DRFViko

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10480 on: September 15, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »

Pure craziness! I prefer to drink coffee out of a real mug. Just like I prefer to drink (insert alcoholic beverage here) out of a real glass too. Then you throw in the whole better for the planet thing and it's hands down the better choice.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #10481 on: September 15, 2015, 07:51:03 PM »
Not really overheard but something I see at work that makes me sad. The terminals at O'Hare airport have Illinois Lottery kiosks and there's almost always low paid airport employees standing there giving their money away. Baggage handlers, wheelchair pushers, and fast food and retail workers seem to be the primary customers of these kiosks. It's a little depressing watching the people that get paid the least blowing their hard earned money on lottery tickets.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #10482 on: September 15, 2015, 08:26:05 PM »
Not really overheard but something I see at work that makes me sad. The terminals at O'Hare airport have Illinois Lottery kiosks and there's almost always low paid airport employees standing there giving their money away. Baggage handlers, wheelchair pushers, and fast food and retail workers seem to be the primary customers of these kiosks. It's a little depressing watching the people that get paid the least blowing their hard earned money on lottery tickets.

What's even sadder is that Illinois is giving IOUs instead of lottery winnings for prizes over $25K until the state passes a budget.  So they won't necessarily get paid for awhile even if they win!

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #10483 on: September 15, 2015, 10:19:57 PM »
Not overheard at work, but when I was in grad school I shared a house with 5 other people (total firetrap ancient house, but the rent was $200/month!). One of my roommates would come home from her minimum-wage job as a CNA (tough work), smoke a joint (a whole joint) and eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream while watching her giant TV in her room. Then she'd come out to the living room and complain about how she was fat and broke. (She was both of these things, but apparently never put two and two together.)

Her sister, another roomate, worked in a bank and was clever. However, she was furious with her parents for not putting her through college "the way other kids' parents do." She hadn't gone to college because she "couldn't afford it." That's true, but only because she partied every weekend and spent more on dry-cleaning in a month than I lived on. And the dirt-cheap-and-very-good community college was a short drive away....

Between them, these two sisters had so much debt that we got 5 or so phone calls from collections agencies a DAY. (Cell phones weren't ubiquitous yet). So they paid for caller ID ($15 extra per month) so that they could look and see who was calling before answering it. I explained that if they took that $15 per month and used it to pay off their debts (via a snowball), the collections agencies would stop calling.

Got blank looks for that piece of advice, too.

I am so glad I moved out of that house.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:23:05 PM by Urchina »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10484 on: September 16, 2015, 12:46:51 AM »
smoke a joint (a whole joint)

So do people not smoke a whole joint at a time?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10485 on: September 16, 2015, 03:50:51 AM »

"Today's episode has been brought to you by the letter joint."
"Joint isn't a letter."
Today's episode has been brought to you by the number 3. That's how many joints I've smoked today!"

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10486 on: September 16, 2015, 04:41:57 AM »

No skin in this game, but since you seem unable to see it Chris, I will outline why this sounds like trolling, given the forum we are on.
1) driving to the end of the block. (Yes you may have been on your way elsewhere, but driving such distances is generally frowned upon here. Sounds like the very height of clown-car driving).
2) allowing a child to 'insist' on which car you took. Who's the adult here? Pandering to kids and spoiling them with material excess is again, your right, but contrary to the general consensus on these boards.
3) having a choice of cars in the first place. Again, multiple car ownership, whilst totally up to you, stands out on a board about frugality that has a heavy emphasis on reducing car use.

Now I've spelt it all out, I'm worried I'm feeding the troll?!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10487 on: September 16, 2015, 06:18:42 AM »

How's that trollish?
I come here for inspiration and to be a better steward for the environment and practice saving more. Chris22's comments tell me it's okay to be wasteful and frivolous because it's just a little bit.

Just saying:  those comments do not inspire me to be better at anything.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10488 on: September 16, 2015, 06:22:45 AM »

How's that trollish?
I come here for inspiration and to be a better steward for the environment and practice saving more. Chris22's comments tell me it's okay to be wasteful and frivolous because it's just a little bit.

This comment inspires me to go take a dump, because it was shitty. Thanks!

Gawd, everyone here is like a seventh grade girl experiencing hormone mood swings for the first time. Get over it ya'll.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10489 on: September 16, 2015, 06:38:33 AM »

Sounds like everyone here needs to smoke a whole joint...

How's that trollish?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10490 on: September 16, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »

No skin in this game, but since you seem unable to see it Chris, I will outline why this sounds like trolling, given the forum we are on.
1) driving to the end of the block. (Yes you may have been on your way elsewhere, but driving such distances is generally frowned upon here. Sounds like the very height of clown-car driving).

Yes.  I drive to the end of the block.  Drop my kid off.  Then get in the car and go to work.  I drop my kid off at about 8:15 with the goal of being at work as close to 8:30 as possible (the unofficial "should be in the office" time.)  Yes, I could walk to school, walk back to the house, and then drive past the school I just walked to.  Alternately, I could ride my bike to drop my daughter off, then ride about 45 minutes to work, and to make it at the same time I'd pay $5/hr for childcare (school starts at 8:15, you pay for extended hours prior to that time) instead of about $1/day for gas.  Great call.  The knee-jerk "clown car" bullshit is just that.

2) allowing a child to 'insist' on which car you took. Who's the adult here? Pandering to kids and spoiling them with material excess is again, your right, but contrary to the general consensus on these boards.

Uh, she insisted the same way a friend might insist he buy your next beer.  Real tough sell to get me to drive my sports car on a beautiful sunny day.  How that's pandering and spoiling to allow my kid to pick which car we already own to ride in is beyond me.  Who gives a shit?

3) having a choice of cars in the first place. Again, multiple car ownership, whilst totally up to you, stands out on a board about frugality that has a heavy emphasis on reducing car use.

I know, I'm terrible, I keep a 13y/o long-paid-for 4cyl convertible in the garage because it makes me happy and helps me enjoy life.  Given that I can't drive two cars at once, it doesn't increase the amount I drive one iota.  It just makes me happier while I do it.

Look, I originally came on this board with interest, because it DIDN'T seem like the same old "drive every dime out of your life and live like a pauper forever" site.  Increasingly, I'm seeing that it is.  I try to OPTIMIZE (that's what we're here for, right?) my life, and reduce waste in areas I don't care about to spend in areas I do.  That apparently isn't the point.  The point seems to be to live in a prescripted way and congratulate each other on how close you can get to matching thy Holy Diety MMM, who is generally bad at math and demonstrably makes incredibly poor leaps in logic and pulls numbers out of his ass to try and make a point*.  I never intended to post, but got drawn in discussing things related to cars, because that's my passion, and the group here seems incredibly ill-informed when it comes to them (ie, running A/C is a punch-you-in-the-balls offense, when in reality modern systems are very efficient with minimal mileage penalty).  I see now that trying to provide another viewpoint and further, corrective information is considered "trolling" here (In most of the rest of the internet, sincere disagreement is not trolling, dunno why it is here) and is unwelcome.  Got it.  After this post, I'm going to lock my account and wander off.  You guys want an circlejerk echo chamber where you can congratulate each other on who can sweat the most to avoid paying a dime, fine.  I'll leave you to it.  Just don't pretend you're having anything close to a "discussion".

*See things like converting miles driven to time on road to make bikes safer than cars, a clearly idiotic way to look at it given no one says "let me take 1 hour to get to work no matter the distance" instead of "I live 10 miles away, that's 20 minutes by car and 40 by bike".  See also "a small apartment is cheaper than a suburban house and those are good comparables" or "an SUV by default must always be the dumber choice no matter the actual costs in question." 

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #10491 on: September 16, 2015, 09:05:05 AM »
And sometime, the difference may be neglictible but the whole idea behind is more important.

Yeah, sorry, that's stupid.  If we're supposed to be optimizing stuff, why are we wasting energy doing something for the "idea" of it if the numbers don't work out?  Isn't that the exact opposite of the whole point?

ok then, leaving the lights on when you dont need it is a big deal so, lets do it. Do you shut it off to save few pennies? When you say "don't work out" you mean "not enough to bother" or "result is the oposite of what I think it should be"?

Both. You're forgetting that everything has a cost. Comfort, time, etc.

I turn the lights off when I leave the room. Over a year, or a month, it can add up. I don't turn the lights off when I'm going to be back in the room in a minute or two, because the switches are really inconvenient. The 30* seconds extra to go turn off the lights and then turn them on when I get back is not worth it for me; I just leave them on. That would add up to probably a dollar a year saved on my electric bill with the lights that I use (currently all CFL in that room), so I don't turn them off if I'll be back in that room within 5 minutes.

Similarly, for me (and probably Chris) the cost of having the AC on at a stoplight was for me maybe an extra half gallon a tank. If that. $2 a month for 3 months for added comfort and not showing up to my destination covered in sweat? Yeah, that is worth it, and the result is the opposite of what I expected--it costs me more to have the AC off than on. I value my comfort pretty highly once my clothes are on the verge of getting wet.

*It really is 30** seconds to turn on/off the lights in my bedroom right now. That is a temporary thing; I am moving into the place and the room is a mess of boxes around a bed. I can't get to the light switch.
**Ok, probably only about 10 or 15. Still, really annoying.

When I was a kid I could walk into the bathroom, flick on the lights, and find my mom sitting on the toilet. HA! Seriously, Mom. 

Now I do the same thing all the time. There's plenty of light coming in from the window and its not like I'm doing something that needs great visibility. 

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10492 on: September 16, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »
When I was a kid I could walk into the bathroom, flick on the lights, and find my mom sitting on the toilet. HA! Seriously, Mom. 

Now I do the same thing all the time. There's plenty of light coming in from the window and its not like I'm doing something that needs great visibility.

If it's sufficiently dark I just sit to pee.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #10493 on: September 16, 2015, 09:46:17 AM »

This weekend after doing yard work I took a shower in the middle of the afternoon, the wife thought it was weird that I didn't turn the light on (I didn't even realize).  After she flicked the light on, she laughed b/c she couldn't even tell the difference.

As for sitting to pee - every morning, I'm still too asleep to ensure I aim properly.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10494 on: September 16, 2015, 09:49:35 AM »

I did that last week in the middle of the night. I rarely turn the light on when I get up to pee in the middle of the night. But this time I saw something floating in the toilet and turned the light on to look after I finished. It was a wasp struggling to get out of the water. That could have ended up poorly for my bum!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10495 on: September 16, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »

Look, I originally came on this board with interest, because it DIDN'T seem like the same old "drive every dime out of your life and live like a pauper forever" site.  Increasingly, I'm seeing that it is.  I try to OPTIMIZE (that's what we're here for, right?) my life, and reduce waste in areas I don't care about to spend in areas I do.  That apparently isn't the point.  The point seems to be to live in a prescripted way and congratulate each other on how close you can get to matching thy Holy Diety MMM, who is generally bad at math and demonstrably makes incredibly poor leaps in logic and pulls numbers out of his ass to try and make a point*.  I never intended to post, but got drawn in discussing things related to cars, because that's my passion, and the group here seems incredibly ill-informed when it comes to them (ie, running A/C is a punch-you-in-the-balls offense, when in reality modern systems are very efficient with minimal mileage penalty).  I see now that trying to provide another viewpoint and further, corrective information is considered "trolling" here (In most of the rest of the internet, sincere disagreement is not trolling, dunno why it is here) and is unwelcome.  Got it.  After this post, I'm going to lock my account and wander off.  You guys want an circlejerk echo chamber where you can congratulate each other on who can sweat the most to avoid paying a dime, fine.  I'll leave you to it.  Just don't pretend you're having anything close to a "discussion".

*See things like converting miles driven to time on road to make bikes safer than cars, a clearly idiotic way to look at it given no one says "let me take 1 hour to get to work no matter the distance" instead of "I live 10 miles away, that's 20 minutes by car and 40 by bike".  See also "a small apartment is cheaper than a suburban house and those are good comparables" or "an SUV by default must always be the dumber choice no matter the actual costs in question."

Chris, no need to justify your life choices to me, or leave the boards. I was responding to your direct question, "How's that trollish?". I just thought you didn't understand how your post could be -construed- as trollish, so I outlined it for you. I was not attacking your choices, I was explaining how they differ from the general consensus around here, and therefore why people were questioning whether you were just trying to get a rise out of people. I, for one, like to hear differing view points and enjoy constructive debate.

Melchior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10496 on: September 16, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
If a perfectly reasonable explanation of why many might wonder if your posts are trolling is interpreted as a personal attack, perhaps you should take a step back and relax. Some will get worked up over others' percieved wastefulness; we all have our own triggers.

I do think we might need an Overheard in the Overheard at Work thread thread though =)

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10497 on: September 16, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »

A coworker from my previous job told me that he used to get annoyed at seeing able-bodied citizens using food stamps, but it stopped bothering him when he realized they usually walked straight from the checkout to the scratch-off lottery ticket machines and gave all that money back to the state anyway.

K-Dogg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10498 on: September 16, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »

CW1 – Just got this!
CW1 – Nah, it’s small.

So Monday rolls around.

Me – (head explodes)
CW1 – Only 8.4%.

If you invest in an index fund, then you are already in on the action. The car companies and banks are probably listed on the index.

Update!

I checked the pricing online for a nearby Jeep dealership and I seen a Compass listed for 37k. I believe Americans pay much less for cars than we Canadians do and we have to pay $1500 extra just to have it delivered known as the "destination charge."

Anyways, CW3 did go look at trucks that night!

CW1: Did you find the truck you were looking for?
CW3: Yup. It's being built this week. They wanted 63k but I got them down to 55K! It's 0% interest so why not!?
CW2: You should buy some "depreciation insurance." That way if you get in an accident in the next two years, they will pay you out the full price of what you paid.
CW3: I'll look into that. I don't know how high my insurance will be since I'm still getting screwed on some charges I got 7 years ago.
CW2: Oh I'm getting screwed too. They doubled my insurance from $200/month to $400/month because of some speeding tickets without telling me. I freaked out.
CW1: So when do you get your truck?
CW3: I'll go in this weekend. I put a $1000 deposit down to hold it, so once it gets on the lot they can't sell it to someone else. I wouldn't let them run my credit until I see the truck though.
Me: (not understanding this at all)
CW3: I'm just going to roll the 5K left on my current truck into this loan too. (So it'll be 60K!)
CW2: Ya, that's what I did when I got my truck last year.

Oh people are crazy!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10499 on: September 16, 2015, 12:14:45 PM »

Chris, no need to justify your life choices to me, or leave the boards. I was responding to your direct question, "How's that trollish?". I just thought you didn't understand how your post could be -construed- as trollish, so I outlined it for you. I was not attacking your choices, I was explaining how they differ from the general consensus around here, and therefore why people were questioning whether you were just trying to get a rise out of people. I, for one, like to hear differing view points and enjoy constructive debate.

yeah man, don't be mad. you are my Honda friend.

Honestly, a lot of the people on the forum don't understand cars or that people could be car enthusiasts. I've noticed some of the same things you, but I just learned it's better not to tell everyone on here I like cars. Plus, mob mentality and the internet, easy for everyone to be perfect on here - at least you kept it real about your choices.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!