Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252475 times)

CindyBS

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #12600 on: March 02, 2016, 02:22:10 PM »
One of my coworkers is a single mom with a 4 year old daughter.  Dad is totally out of the picture, I think he may have passed away, but she definitely does not get child support.

She lives in a condo with the girl and was complaining how she has no money until next week because of all the food her daughter eats and then proceeded to list out a large meal the girl ate.

The cw probably makes $60K/year.

1) I'm sure there are things I don't know about the situation - but how the heck can you have difficulty paying bills for 1 kid and 1 adult on $60K/year?

2) As a mom to teen and pre-teen boys, I had to giggle to myself about food bills for a 4 year old girl.  She has no idea what kids eating a lot of food looks like. 

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12601 on: March 02, 2016, 04:55:35 PM »

2) As a mom to teen and pre-teen boys, I had to giggle to myself about food bills for a 4 year old girl.  She has no idea what kids eating a lot of food looks like.

No kidding.  My 3 year old seems to live on air.  But my 13 year old son recently complained that he wasn't hungry when called, and proceeded to only eat one whole 14 inch pizza by himself.  I'm just glad he wasn't hungry.

RurallyFrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12602 on: March 02, 2016, 06:47:46 PM »

Y'all is always plural; "all y'all" is reflexive or emphatic. :-)

Man how did I miss the y'all conversation?

I agree- y'all is NEVER singular. It is always plural.
All y'all is more plural.

Oh boy, now I'll have to try and sneak "all y'all" into daily conversation and see if anyone notices!

I would love to hear such a robust southernism pulled off in a British accent.

I had a coworker previously who was from rural NC but lived in London for 5+ years - fabulous accent!

And while I'm here, we also say y'all in Kansas, where I'm from though not all y'all, I've only heard that in NC. Another NC favorite of mine is "might could" as in:
You might could do that but instead maybe you should do this.

Love it.

Or else "fixin' to" - I'm fixin' to go to the store, can I borrow your credit card?

"Fixin' to" is a popular expression in Kentucky as well, followed shortly with the standard confirmation query, "Ya-un-to?"

And also widjadidja, as in " bring the barbie widjadidja?"
A friend from NC congratulated me once on my correct use of "rightly know" in a sentence >_> Oh come on, it's just Southern for "grok"!

Rural Kentucky has "y'all" and "all y'all" but we make fun of the folks just south in Tennessee who use "you'uns". Another of my favorites around here is "in-nair" to denote someone who is in good favor with the boss, as in "Boy, you in-nair, ain'tcha?" 

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12603 on: March 02, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »

Y'all is always plural; "all y'all" is reflexive or emphatic. :-)

Man how did I miss the y'all conversation?

I agree- y'all is NEVER singular. It is always plural.
All y'all is more plural.

Oh boy, now I'll have to try and sneak "all y'all" into daily conversation and see if anyone notices!

I would love to hear such a robust southernism pulled off in a British accent.

I had a coworker previously who was from rural NC but lived in London for 5+ years - fabulous accent!

And while I'm here, we also say y'all in Kansas, where I'm from though not all y'all, I've only heard that in NC. Another NC favorite of mine is "might could" as in:
You might could do that but instead maybe you should do this.

Love it.

Or else "fixin' to" - I'm fixin' to go to the store, can I borrow your credit card?

"Fixin' to" is a popular expression in Kentucky as well, followed shortly with the standard confirmation query, "Ya-un-to?"

And also widjadidja, as in " bring the barbie widjadidja?"
A friend from NC congratulated me once on my correct use of "rightly know" in a sentence >_> Oh come on, it's just Southern for "grok"!

Rural Kentucky has "y'all" and "all y'all" but we make fun of the folks just south in Tennessee who use "you'uns". Another of my favorites around here is "in-nair" to denote someone who is in good favor with the boss, as in "Boy, you in-nair, ain'tcha?"

And if you are saying these things out loud, to get the feel of them, hold your nose.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #12604 on: March 02, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »

No kidding.  My 3 year old seems to live on air.  But my 13 year old son recently complained that he wasn't hungry when called, and proceeded to only eat one whole 14 inch pizza by himself.  I'm just glad he wasn't hungry.

I hear ya!  We have recently resorted to ordering sheet pizzas for our family of 4.  That is 36 slices, 9 per person.  I may have 3.  The eating machines and my husband eat most of it and we usually have about 8 pieces left for lunch the next day (enough for the eating machines only.)

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12605 on: March 02, 2016, 07:13:43 PM »

I hear ya!  We have recently resorted to ordering sheet pizzas for our family of 4.  That is 36 slices, 9 per person.  I may have 3.  The eating machines and my husband eat most of it and we usually have about 8 pieces left for lunch the next day (enough for the eating machines only.)

My brother used to make peanut butter sandwiches with an inch of filling. He'd slice half in thick slabs off the Costco cheddar. Even with cheap food, feeding him was very, very expensive for a few years.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12606 on: March 02, 2016, 07:51:59 PM »

My brother used to make peanut butter sandwiches with an inch of filling. He'd slice half in thick slabs off the Costco cheddar. Even with cheap food, feeding him was very, very expensive for a few years.

That's like what one of my friends did when he took a job in SF out of college. It didn't pay well for the first year, but after that his income went up and he's happy (though he did later transfer to save up money).

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #12607 on: March 02, 2016, 11:52:31 PM »

I was the same with eating at that age (13). But it seems to be necessary. According to my parents, I managed to grow 13cm in the one year between 13 and 14. That added biomass must come from somewhere...

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12608 on: March 02, 2016, 11:55:00 PM »

I was the same with eating at that age (13). But it seems to be necessary. According to my parents, I managed to grow 13cm in the one year between 13 and 14. That added biomass must come from somewhere...

My daughter turned into an absolute terror at one point in early infancy. Absolute infant fury if you did not produce a bottle INSTANTLY when she wanted one, and she wanted about twice as many as usual, straight through the night. She'd been having medical problems, so we were at the pediatrician a lot, and she grew an inch and gained a pound in a week. The doctor was so surprised she redid all the measurements because that allegedly was impossible.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12609 on: March 03, 2016, 02:32:50 AM »

I loved it when southerners asked me to "Mash the switch"

Like I was going to get out a sledge hammer to turn on the lights.

Sorry to interfere with your mashing, but one mashes a button, not a switch, so unless you have very old-style two button lights, you're flipping those.

Source: just had to mash the mute on the alarm twice (perhaps because I got it in 2003) before stumbling over and flipping on the lights so I could see to make coffee,

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12610 on: March 03, 2016, 02:38:22 AM »

Sorry to interfere with your mashing, but one mashes a button, not a switch, so unless you have very old-style two button lights, you're flipping those.

I pictured this:

That's a switch, seems like you could mash that.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12611 on: March 03, 2016, 08:06:20 AM »

Don't get between them and the food - it could be dangerous. I feel safer getting between the dog and her food than getting between our kids and their food these days. Its all teeth and chewing. ;)

One teen, one on the cusp of being a tween. Both boys.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12612 on: March 03, 2016, 08:09:43 AM »
I would eat chicken skin in high school. I can't comprehend that being appealing now.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #12613 on: March 03, 2016, 08:11:51 AM »

It's y'uns, not you'uns, and that's mostly limited to Appalachia rather than the state at large.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12614 on: March 03, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »

It could work out cheaper to feed a teenage boy, if you were talking about an extremely picky 4-year-old. Yeah, they only eat yogurt and snack packs, but they HAVE TO HAVE the yogurt that's $4 for a 2 oz container and the organic all-natural handmade by chimpanzees snacks that are $15 for 4.

Teenage boys, meanwhile, are not known for their discerning palates.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12615 on: March 03, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »
You are correct there. Would not be that surprised to see teeth marks on the exterior brick were they to get locked out of the house some afternoon. ;) Both active, normal weight, etc. Older one clearly going through a growth spurt. Same height as me. Don't know if I'll be looking up at him soon or not. Younger one is part monkey. Flips, climbing, etc.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #12616 on: March 03, 2016, 08:36:41 AM »
Agreed with below, but I'd spell the later "in'ere" on account of I'm pretty sure that's a contraction of "in there."

It's y'uns, not you'uns, and that's mostly limited to Appalachia rather than the state at large.
And a note that that's ALL of Appalachia, not just the Tennessee portion. (says the Yinzer, I mean...Pittsburgher).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12617 on: March 03, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »

My almost 10 year old boy started the day with 2pieces of toast, a smoothie, a banana, and some cheese.  Luckily he then had to go to school.  (Where he gets morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack.)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12618 on: March 03, 2016, 09:50:08 AM »
Reminds me of when I was in middle and high school. Between my older brother and I, we were playing some combination of hockey, football, baseball, or lacrosse, and we were caddying in the summer too. Mom and Dad bought another fridge for the basement just because they were tired of going to the grocery 3-4 times and didn't have room to buy more at a time. I know that between the two of us we were drinking 8 gallons of milk a week. I remember some friends that I ate lunch with my sophomore year of high school (so 15-16) calculated it out and figured out that I ate on average about 5,000 to 6,500 calories a day--large breakfast, mid-morning snack (which was the first lunch mom packed for the day), lunch (that mom packed), another "lunch" from the cafeteria, go home and snack, then eat dinner, then snack some more). Didn’t start gaining weight until I turned 21 though. I’m not sure why. *mtn cracks open his favorite frosty beverage*

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12619 on: March 03, 2016, 10:43:23 AM »
Reminds me of when I was in middle and high school. Between my older brother and I, we were playing some combination of hockey, football, baseball, or lacrosse, and we were caddying in the summer too. Mom and Dad bought another fridge for the basement just because they were tired of going to the grocery 3-4 times and didn't have room to buy more at a time. I know that between the two of us we were drinking 8 gallons of milk a week. I remember some friends that I ate lunch with my sophomore year of high school (so 15-16) calculated it out and figured out that I ate on average about 5,000 to 6,500 calories a day--large breakfast, mid-morning snack (which was the first lunch mom packed for the day), lunch (that mom packed), another "lunch" from the cafeteria, go home and snack, then eat dinner, then snack some more). Didn’t start gaining weight until I turned 21 though. I’m not sure why. *mtn cracks open his favorite frosty beverage*

Funny, when I played sports in high school a remember eating only a single serving of yogurt for lunch, and a couple slices of bread for dinner.  Ran 5 miles before school and 2 hour practice after. Guess the sport?

Anyhow, on topic, my boss(executive VP) isn't mustachian cheap, but is cheap cheap. Awhile back it came out that he somewhat regularly sneaks into hotels around town to eat continental breakfast. Just recently our maintenance  guy was about to call an appliance repairman, when the ice machine in the fridge seemed on the fritz. It turned out the boss was just emptying/stealing the ice every night.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12620 on: March 03, 2016, 01:02:57 PM »
It turned out the boss was just emptying/stealing the ice every night.

Oh good god.  We have an ice machine at work, and there was a period of time when we had a LOT of people here.  During the summer, it couldn't keep up!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12621 on: March 03, 2016, 01:11:21 PM »
I would eat chicken skin in high school. I can't comprehend that being appealing now.

I had a skewer of grilled chicken skin at a Japanese restaurant in Montreal a few years ago.  I would order it again.  Very yummy.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #12622 on: March 03, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »
The skin is the best part of fried chicken!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12623 on: March 03, 2016, 01:19:49 PM »

It puts the oil on the skin

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #12624 on: March 03, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
Is that a quote from Buffalo Chicken Bill?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12625 on: March 03, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »

It puts the oil on the skin

Is that a quote from Buffalo Chicken Bill?

I don't know, but it reminds me of the psychopath who was keeping his victim at the bottom of a well in Silence of the Lambs.

Troy McClure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12626 on: March 03, 2016, 01:31:23 PM »
I don't know, but it reminds me of the psychopath who was keeping his victim at the bottom of a well in Silence of the Lambs.

You mean the police captain in Monk?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12627 on: March 03, 2016, 03:15:32 PM »

It could work out cheaper to feed a teenage boy, if you were talking about an extremely picky 4-year-old. Yeah, they only eat yogurt and snack packs, but they HAVE TO HAVE the yogurt that's $4 for a 2 oz container and the organic all-natural handmade by chimpanzees snacks that are $15 for 4.

Teenage boys, meanwhile, are not known for their discerning palates.

No, I don't think you understand.  I haven't seen the three year old eat more than a bite or two of anything in 6 days.  I put two ounces of dry cereal in her breakfast bowl yesterday morning, and a half-glass of milk.  After 10 minutes, I put the dry cereal back in the box & can't tell if she actually ate any, while the milk might still be half there when I put it in the refrigerator for her lunch.  She will eat any candy or cake offered, but that is not often offered, so I seriously don't know how she manages to gain weight.  Perhaps she steals it during the night, I don't know.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12628 on: March 03, 2016, 03:23:36 PM »
Agreed with below, but I'd spell the later "in'ere" on account of I'm pretty sure that's a contraction of "in there."

And a note that that's ALL of Appalachia, not just the Tennessee portion. (says the Yinzer, I mean...Pittsburgher).
How yinz doin n'at?

(Grew up north of Pittsburgh, went to college in the 'burgh)

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12629 on: March 03, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »

I had a skewer of grilled chicken skin at a Japanese restaurant in Montreal a few years ago.  I would order it again.  Very yummy.

I once roasted a chicken for supper, and then Mr. Tooth was very late getting home from work. I presented him with the now denuded chicken. I really like chicken skin. So does he. He was very, very disappointed.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12630 on: March 03, 2016, 04:53:07 PM »
I once roasted a chicken for supper, and then Mr. Tooth was very late getting home from work. I presented him with the now denuded chicken. I really like chicken skin. So does he. He was very, very disappointed.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12631 on: March 03, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »
Same here.  I ran cross country and track and was on the swim team.  My mom packed me a sack lunch every day, and it was always full enough that you couldn't close it at the top.  Our 25-minute lunch period was barely enough time to finish lunch.  And then I had a bagel sometime during another class period, because I got hungry.  I estimate I was eating (and burning) 5-6k calories per day.

Ah, to be young again.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12632 on: March 03, 2016, 06:43:26 PM »
Same here.  I ran cross country and track and was on the swim team.  My mom packed me a sack lunch every day, and it was always full enough that you couldn't close it at the top.  Our 25-minute lunch period was barely enough time to finish lunch.  And then I had a bagel sometime during another class period, because I got hungry.  I estimate I was eating (and burning) 5-6k calories per day.

Ah, to be young again.

Yeah, I remember having my (football, karate, swimmer) 15-year-old brother over for a weekend a few years back... His 4pm "pre-dinner" snack was an XL pizza and a sundae. And the. He ate about 3 times what I did for dinner 3 hours later. And you could see his ribs.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12633 on: March 03, 2016, 06:46:25 PM »

Ah, to be young again.

Yeah, I remember having my (football, karate, swimmer) 15-year-old brother over for a weekend a few years back... His 4pm "pre-dinner" snack was an XL pizza and a sundae. And the. He ate about 3 times what I did for dinner 3 hours later. And you could see his ribs.

When we had four teenage boys at home, we used to buy the 87c loaves of cheapy bread from the supermarket (along with the usual groceries).

The purchase requirement was one loaf per boy per day... None now bigger than normal (in fact two of them are bordering on the low end of weight for height), they just needed the extra calories a loaf of bread with peanut butter or cheese provided for normal functioning.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #12634 on: March 03, 2016, 07:05:18 PM »
I remember cooking a dinner with my now-husband back when we were both in college. I was shocked by the quantity he could eat. The vast amount was non-mustachian to say the least, but it did work out in the end!

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12635 on: March 03, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »
On a related note, although we consume less sugar than the American median (mainly because we don't eat processed food much), DH and I were trying to cut down a bit more and reading labels, and we realized that ONE tiny Yoplait yogurt container has nearly an ENTIRE recommended daily added sugar amount. Seriously crazy.

And depending on the flavour, many have more than the recommended daily amount.
Not bad for a supposed health food.
side note, I was eating two yogurts a day on deployment until I got bored one night and read the list of ingredients. Binned half a container of it and gave the rest of my stash to another guy who ate it 5 or 6 times every day. He was also drinking 6 cans of coke a day so wasn't bothered by the sugar.
Till then I could not work out why I was gaining weight, hardly ever ate yogurt before then and still avoid it now.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #12636 on: March 03, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »

I lived in Tennessee twice, Middle & East, and never once heard "y'uns" there.  Where they do say it is in western Pennsylvania. 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #12637 on: March 04, 2016, 01:10:45 AM »
That's "yinz", not "y'uns".

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12638 on: March 04, 2016, 05:49:23 AM »
Willpower is truly a finite thing...
Oh yes, it is! Your willpower can get depleted by small things so that you dont have any left for gib things, too. That is why poor people often have no willpower - all that thinking about how to get work, to buy this little thing or not, how to get the kids to school... they use up half the willpower a company CEO has just by shopping.

But willpower also behaves like a muscle, you can train it.
I realized this on vacation staying with family.  Fridges full of soda, beer, sugary snacks, chips, candy.

I put as much stuff away as I could.

But seriously, I hadn't realized how much of my at home willpower is because I just don't have that stuff around.

I sometimes suffer, not from will power but a lack of won't power. I won't have a second donut/slice of cake etc.
Getting better as it seems the older it gets the harder it is to keep it off, doesn't help to be carrying injuries and now driving a desk most of the time.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12639 on: March 04, 2016, 07:36:44 AM »
I remember cooking a dinner with my now-husband back when we were both in college. I was shocked by the quantity he could eat. The vast amount was non-mustachian to say the least, but it did work out in the end!

Is he a fast eater too? I get reprimanded for that by DW sometimes. ;)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12640 on: March 04, 2016, 07:38:46 AM »

I lived in Tennessee twice, Middle & East, and never once heard "y'uns" there.  Where they do say it is in western Pennsylvania.

We have a friend from East TN (Tri-cities) that says y'uns alot to this day. Never heard it much in the parts of the state where I lived.

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #12641 on: March 04, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »

I pictured this:

Where I grew up, you would occasionally be asked to "Outen the lights."  Also, we go and get our "hairs cut", because we want all of them trimmed, not just one.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12642 on: March 04, 2016, 09:15:39 AM »
Since we're already off-topic, does anyone else say "Paper poke" (or maybe "polk") for the brown product made of trees you put your groceries in?

Picked that up from my grandmother (appalachian upper south/PA roots) but have never heard it from other people.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #12643 on: March 04, 2016, 09:18:32 AM »

I pictured this:

Where I grew up, you would occasionally be asked to "Outen the lights."  Also, we go and get our "hairs cut", because we want all of them trimmed, not just one.
My grandma would close the light.
Since we're already off-topic, does anyone else say "Paper poke" (or maybe "polk") for the brown product made of trees you put your groceries in?

Picked that up from my grandmother (appalachian upper south/PA roots) but have never heard it from other people.
I've heard "poke" for "bag" but never used it.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #12644 on: March 04, 2016, 09:26:56 AM »
Wait, is that where the expression "a pig in a poke" comes from?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12645 on: March 04, 2016, 09:30:08 AM »
"poke 3  (pōk)
n. Chiefly Southern US
A sack; a bag.
[Middle English, probably from Old North French; see pocket.]

Word History: A pig in a poke is a colorful vernacular expression used to describe something offered in a manner that conceals its true nature or value. Naturally, a buyer cannot inspect the pig if it is covered by a poke—that is, a bag or sack. The word poke meaning "bag" is not confined to just the American South—in many parts of Scotland, poke bag is still used of a little paper bag for carrying purchases like candy. Poke first appears in English in the 1200s and probably comes from Old North French, the northern dialect of Old French. The Old North French word in turn is probably of Germanic origin and is related to words like Icelandic poki, "bag." Poke has several relatives within English. The word pocket comes from Middle English poket, meaning "pouch, small bag," which in turn comes from Anglo-Norman pokete, a diminutive of Old North French poke. Pouche, a variant form of Old North French poke, is the source of the English word pouch." (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/poke)

Old North French via Scotland via Scottish American south, fascinating.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12646 on: March 04, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
Wait, is that where the expression "a pig in a poke" comes from?

Yes.  And "cat out of the bag" is the related saying :)

If you are buying a pig in a poke then anything might be in there and you wouldn't know - except if someone let the cat out of the bag. :)  Really only would work for piglets, but the pig in the poke couldn't be that big to start with.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12647 on: March 04, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »
God, I love etymology. I could spend hours just reading about the evolution of languages (and have).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12648 on: March 04, 2016, 10:15:14 AM »
Boss and a CW are talking about day-trading Apple... hehe

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12649 on: March 04, 2016, 10:41:23 AM »
Boss handing out profit sharing bonuses today. After we talk about it, he says something like, "now some people adjust their tax withholding for this so they get as much as possible. If you want to do that, you need to talk to [human resouces] by [date]."

Why would you screw with your withholdings for one paycheck? Why not just jack up your 401k contribution for that pay period and not even let the tax man see your bonus? I know for a fact almost nobody in the office contributes more than the minimum to get the company match, so wouldn't that be a much more reasonable way to get to keep all of your money? I just shrugged and said "it all comes out in the wash anyway, right?"
Really didn't want to have an in-depth financial discussion on a Friday afternoon...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:46:54 AM by JordanOfGilead »