Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252924 times)

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #8000 on: April 29, 2015, 11:36:12 PM »
Discussing a mutual friend, I learned this gem.

Spouse 1 travels on a toll road to and from work, and so had a monthly EZ Pass which was set up for payment on a parent's cc.  Parent cancelled cc and unbeknownst (?) to S1 the EZ Pass expired, so they continued to travel on the toll road with and expired pass. So far, it's not great, but within the realm of comprehension. However, when notices of tolls due began arriving at the house S1 just ignored them/threw them away unopened.  This went on for nearly a year.

Spouse 2 finally notices the multiple letters from the traffic authority, and opens one to discover that S1 has amassed $12000 in unpaid tolls and non-payment fines.  At this point I had to pause and ask if I had misheard that number (I mean $1200 would be bad enough). Things were getting to the point of collections and warrants.

Even crazier, rather than being contrite, S1 was livid that S2 had opened mail addressed to S1. They are getting it paid, but this has used funds they were supposedly saving for a house.  I don't see it ending well, long term.

Wow, I'm imagining some pretty steep fines because (1) $12000 would be a ridiculous amount to be paying for tolls and (2) that would be an even more ridiculous amount to expect one's parents to be paying for you

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8001 on: April 29, 2015, 11:52:35 PM »
Discussing a mutual friend, I learned this gem.

Spouse 1 travels on a toll road to and from work, and so had a monthly EZ Pass which was set up for payment on a parent's cc.  Parent cancelled cc and unbeknownst (?) to S1 the EZ Pass expired, so they continued to travel on the toll road with and expired pass. So far, it's not great, but within the realm of comprehension. However, when notices of tolls due began arriving at the house S1 just ignored them/threw them away unopened.  This went on for nearly a year.

Spouse 2 finally notices the multiple letters from the traffic authority, and opens one to discover that S1 has amassed $12000 in unpaid tolls and non-payment fines.  At this point I had to pause and ask if I had misheard that number (I mean $1200 would be bad enough). Things were getting to the point of collections and warrants.

Even crazier, rather than being contrite, S1 was livid that S2 had opened mail addressed to S1. They are getting it paid, but this has used funds they were supposedly saving for a house.  I don't see it ending well, long term.

Wow, I'm imagining some pretty steep fines because (1) $12000 would be a ridiculous amount to be paying for tolls and (2) that would be an even more ridiculous amount to expect one's parents to be paying for you

Talk about pissing your money away!  I used to get these around Chicago when the electronic toll readers didn't work properly.  A $2 toll and a $100 fine for not having the proper EZ Pass.  Of course if you actually had a valid transponder, you just called them up and it only cost you $2.  But if you didn't respond, well, then they probably tacked on even more fees.  I can see $12K over a year easily.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8002 on: April 30, 2015, 06:28:15 AM »
I've noticed that in my experience, men tend to take much, much longer in the bathroom than women.  Can't figure it out.  Every woman I know is, "Get in, do your business, get out."  I've often wondered if men in general have more digestive/intestinal problems than women.

It's enjoyable.  Why would I rush it?

Yeah, I think that's not typically the way many women see it. Idk why this seems to be a bit gendered.  I see it more as, Why would I want to hang out in a bathroom?

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8003 on: April 30, 2015, 06:46:22 AM »
Yeah, I think that's not typically the way many women see it. Idk why this seems to be a bit gendered.  I see it more as, Why would I want to hang out in a bathroom?
I think it has more to do with what happened in your house when you were growing up. We had a separate toilet downstairs and I can't remember there never being at least one copy of the Reader's Digest lying on the windowsill. So reading on the toilet was just something you did. If you were visiting me  you'd find a pile of magazines on my bathroom windowsill, too. I find it a great way to fit in a another few minutes reading during the day. My sister is the same and all her kids are now, too.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8004 on: April 30, 2015, 06:47:58 AM »
I've noticed that in my experience, men tend to take much, much longer in the bathroom than women.  Can't figure it out.  Every woman I know is, "Get in, do your business, get out."  I've often wondered if men in general have more digestive/intestinal problems than women.

If you remember the McDonald's Mcafe commercials discussing "My me time".  I always ran a parody commercial through my head where I would be sitting in the bathroom and would say "When a number one turns into a number 2, that's my me time".

For reference, the original commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_mLSVLByKA

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8005 on: April 30, 2015, 06:56:23 AM »

If you remember the McDonald's Mcafe commercials discussing "My me time".  I always ran a parody commercial through my head where I would be sitting in the bathroom and would say "When a number one turns into a number 2, that's my me time".

For reference, the original commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_mLSVLByKA

Lol!  Thanks for including the original commercial. I don't really watch TV typically, so I hadn't seen it.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #8006 on: April 30, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »
What kind of situation or state of mind would you have to be in NOT to open mail like that?

I believe it's called denial, and it's quite common. You wouldn't believe the number of people who don't open bills and just hope they go away.

I was helping a friend move once and they had a box full of unopened credit card bills. Apparently they never checked them, they just paid what they could and tried not to think about it.  I can't imagine that ended well. Fell out of touch with them though, so I hope they eventually smartened up.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8007 on: April 30, 2015, 10:40:16 AM »
Hi, I'm 25 years old, 5'10" 210, and am living with my parents. I sleep on a twin sized bed. I didn't have anything bigger than a twinXL until a sublease during my internship when I had a queen. Then I was sharing a full. Then I had my own full. Then I was sharing a full again.

I'd rank the sleeping arrangements as follows: (KS:King, single sleeping; FD: Full, double sleeping)

KS=QS=FS>TS>KD>>QD>>FD>>>TD. I don't think most people realize that a king is only two twin XL's pushed together. So when I move out, I will settle for a Queen if space doesn't permit a king, but I am trying REALLY hard for a king. And there is no way I'm going back to a full. Ever.
I'm 5'11" and 210 myself. I've never had more than a twin when I wasn't sharing with someone, and I still don't see the point. Always been quite comfy.
Never felt the need for more than a queen with two people, either.
Not even with a cat and a dog.

Makes me wonder what all you perverts are doing with those big fancy king-size beds.... ;)

I only get a king in hotels....

Been sharing a queen with my wife for 19 years, though recently having the too frequent addition of a toddler. A kicking toddler.

Hell, in college we shared a twin!
Yep, us too.  When we were dating, he had a full.  But we've been married for 19 years, and it's been all queen.  But the kicking toddler means I often end up on the couch.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #8008 on: April 30, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
My partner and I are tallish people of normal build. We share queen, even though we tend to be spooners. Where else would the pitbulls sleep, in the floor like some kind of animal??

Don't be silly! Everybody knows the dog(s) get their 90% of the bed and the human(s) hang on to the fitted sheet to stay on... I probably shouldn't know that you can fit one fat chick and two border collies on a twin size aero bed, as long as the human stays firmly in their "lightning strike" zig-zag position with one dog behind the knees, and one in front of the chest like a demented % sign.

That's just what packmates do, amirite?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8009 on: April 30, 2015, 07:28:20 PM »

This thread is really going down the toilet!  ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/DoodleTimeSarah

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8010 on: April 30, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »
Back when I was supervising union construction work, the contract called for a paper check in hand, by the end of the work day, every Wednesday. During an occasional glitch, I had to waste my time with guys who would voluntarily sit in an office trailer for hours, after work, waiting for the check, even though the company guaranteed that the checks would be hand delivery by the start of work the next day. I also had a few occasions where guys would be in a panic if they thought a check had been mailed to their residence, when they were on vacation, for example. The horror was that their wife might discover that they made WAY more than they thought.  My BIL is the human resources director for a large state. Every few years the payroll gets delayed and he, and his staff, end up driving, sometimes in the dead of night, to hand deliver paychecks to prisons and hospitals. These include facilities that are hours from the capital, since there are staff members that can't go a day, or two, with a check.

Wait, so they're hiding income from their wives? How? Why? Why would you marry someone you couldn't trust like that?

Puuu...Of course they are hiding money from their spouse!  I'm a retired HR manager for the Federal government.    A number of years ago they started to require that everyone do direct deposit.  The frenzy that caused among some (mostly) blue collar males.    God forbid that their wife find out what they made.  It calmed down once they figured out that they could do allotments to other accounts in addition to the checking account.

A couple of years later the Fed started requiring that leave and earning statements get mailed rather than handed out.  Another frenzy until those who were worried figured out that several of them could go together for a PO Box.  For some it was the wife seeing where the money went.  For others it was leave taken to see their GF on the side.

Note:  While the frenzy I was saw was from blue collar males I'm sure the underlying behavior wasn't limited just to men or blue collar employees.  Others just didn't complain to me or stir their union up enough to bother me.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #8011 on: April 30, 2015, 08:25:51 PM »

I like to get a minute or so of reading done, but I'm not spending extra time hanging out. Every guy I've ever dated has been a marathoner in the bathroom though. If my college boyfriend went in there with a book, I wasn't seeing him again for a half-hour.

And now my almost 4 yo daughter, if you don't keep track of how long she's been in there, goes into the bathroom, does her business, flushes, and then just sits around and plays. A part of me wonders if she'd take less time in the bathroom if daddy took less time.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8012 on: April 30, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »
Back when I was supervising union construction work, the contract called for a paper check in hand, by the end of the work day, every Wednesday. During an occasional glitch, I had to waste my time with guys who would voluntarily sit in an office trailer for hours, after work, waiting for the check, even though the company guaranteed that the checks would be hand delivery by the start of work the next day. I also had a few occasions where guys would be in a panic if they thought a check had been mailed to their residence, when they were on vacation, for example. The horror was that their wife might discover that they made WAY more than they thought.  My BIL is the human resources director for a large state. Every few years the payroll gets delayed and he, and his staff, end up driving, sometimes in the dead of night, to hand deliver paychecks to prisons and hospitals. These include facilities that are hours from the capital, since there are staff members that can't go a day, or two, with a check.

Wait, so they're hiding income from their wives? How? Why? Why would you marry someone you couldn't trust like that?

Puuu...Of course they are hiding money from their spouse!  I'm a retired HR manager for the Federal government.    A number of years ago they started to require that everyone do direct deposit.  The frenzy that caused among some (mostly) blue collar males.    God forbid that their wife find out what they made.  It calmed down once they figured out that they could do allotments to other accounts in addition to the checking account.

A couple of years later the Fed started requiring that leave and earning statements get mailed rather than handed out.  Another frenzy until those who were worried figured out that several of them could go together for a PO Box.  For some it was the wife seeing where the money went.  For others it was leave taken to see their GF on the side.

Note:  While the frenzy I was saw was from blue collar males I'm sure the underlying behavior wasn't limited just to men or blue collar employees.  Others just didn't complain to me or stir their union up enough to bother me.

Hmm, the wives never see the tax returns?  Filing jointly, they have to sign...

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #8013 on: May 01, 2015, 05:35:12 AM »

Sadly they probably don't understand the tax forms.  Besides, the husband can say that the difference is the "guvment" taking their share.

Also, lots of these couples are probably not married.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8014 on: May 01, 2015, 06:34:11 AM »

TurboTax or TaxAct or another electronic filing option, and nobody signs.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8015 on: May 01, 2015, 07:25:55 AM »
I figured I should reply to this, seeing as how I'm sitting on the toilet.  It varies from only a few minutes up to maybe 30 minutes.  I poop like 6 times a day, every day.  I eat plenty of fruits and veggies, I just poop a lot.  The drs have no idea what's up.

Worth trying the Squatty Potty. It works, your mileage may vary.

That's not the issue at all.  It's digestive.  Frequent diarrhea and loose stool along with stomach cramps.

I had a conversation with my wife when she was constipated, but I can't relate to her because I don't understand what being constipated is like.  I've never been constipated so i've never experienced that sensation.

And now you all know more about my digestive tract and bathroom habits than you ever wanted to.

Do you have Crohn's or something?

No.  No crohn's, celiacs, allergies, ibs or anything.  I've been to several doctors.  As far as they can tell I am perfectly healthy, I just get stomach cramps and diarrhea a lot.  I have tried various diet changes, and absolutely nothing helps.  Not eating meat, not eating gluten, not eating dairy, not eating sugar, etc has no effect.  There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.  It just flares up bad about twice a week, and nearly daily on a smaller scale.  Half the time there is no cramping, but still frequent pooping.

Have you tried the FODMAPS program? (The real medical one, not the stupid internet version.) It's based on unusual food groups that contain particular sugars that are hard to digest. You don't eat any of those foods (incl. broccoli, apples, onions) for eight weeks then reintroduce them one at a time. I was sceptical but after four weeks not eating the banned foods I felt AMAZING and as soon as I reintroduced onions and garlic I knew what my 'trigger foods' were. The elimination phase is a bitch but I figured that it's only eight weeks and if it works I'll feel better for the rest of my life.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8016 on: May 01, 2015, 07:55:18 AM »

Yup. It's the same system that lets crooks file fraudulent returns and get refunds under the names of perfect strangers. So I imagine it would be simple to keep tax returns out of sight from a spouse that doesn't insist on seeing them.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8017 on: May 01, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »
I figured I should reply to this, seeing as how I'm sitting on the toilet.  It varies from only a few minutes up to maybe 30 minutes.  I poop like 6 times a day, every day.  I eat plenty of fruits and veggies, I just poop a lot.  The drs have no idea what's up.

That's not the issue at all.  It's digestive.  Frequent diarrhea and loose stool along with stomach cramps.

I had a conversation with my wife when she was constipated, but I can't relate to her because I don't understand what being constipated is like.  I've never been constipated so i've never experienced that sensation.

And now you all know more about my digestive tract and bathroom habits than you ever wanted to.

No.  No crohn's, celiacs, allergies, ibs or anything.  I've been to several doctors.  As far as they can tell I am perfectly healthy, I just get stomach cramps and diarrhea a lot.  I have tried various diet changes, and absolutely nothing helps.  Not eating meat, not eating gluten, not eating dairy, not eating sugar, etc has no effect.  There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.  It just flares up bad about twice a week, and nearly daily on a smaller scale.  Half the time there is no cramping, but still frequent pooping.

Have you tried the FODMAPS program? (The real medical one, not the stupid internet version.) It's based on unusual food groups that contain particular sugars that are hard to digest. You don't eat any of those foods (incl. broccoli, apples, onions) for eight weeks then reintroduce them one at a time. I was sceptical but after four weeks not eating the banned foods I felt AMAZING and as soon as I reintroduced onions and garlic I knew what my 'trigger foods' were. The elimination phase is a bitch but I figured that it's only eight weeks and if it works I'll feel better for the rest of my life.

No I haven't, but I'm very skeptical it's one specific food triggering it.  I have food journaled and never found a consistent pattern.  I went round and round with some people on specific triggers, most specifically gluten and dairy.  I kept trying to tell them that my issues were sporadic and not related to any specific food.  Sometimes i'll eat something with gluten and get terrible cramps and diarrhea.  Other times I will eat an entire large pizza by myself and have no issues for days afterwards.   Sometimes I have different reactions to the exact same meal prepared the same way. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8018 on: May 01, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »
I had some major stomach issues for years, but no Crohn's or Celiac (yay! cause I love gluten) diagnosis, and did the "21 day tummy" diet (some book- title was something like that) and it cleared up my issues quite well.  I was amazed.

Didn't lose an ounce or an inch though...

I had tried to eliminate almost all these things as trigger foods, and nothing happened- but eliminating them as a group seemed to do it. I'd at least recommend trying it.  Worst thing that happens is you waste a month.

Now I don't follow it unless I have flare ups.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #8019 on: May 01, 2015, 11:09:47 AM »
I think it has more to do with what happened in your house when you were growing up. We had a separate toilet downstairs and I can't remember there never being at least one copy of the Reader's Digest lying on the windowsill. So reading on the toilet was just something you did. If you were visiting me  you'd find a pile of magazines on my bathroom windowsill, too. I find it a great way to fit in a another few minutes reading during the day. My sister is the same and all her kids are now, too.

I used to keep the door open and watch the TV in the living room (straight shot view) while sitting on the crapper.

Kids now have tablets and phones so they don't need to do that anymore.

Ah, the old days....

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8020 on: May 01, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »

I used to keep the door open and watch the TV in the living room (straight shot view) while sitting on the crapper.

Kids now have tablets and phones so they don't need to do that anymore.

Ah, the old days....

It's how I got my nickname...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8021 on: May 01, 2015, 01:04:49 PM »

No I haven't, but I'm very skeptical it's one specific food triggering it.  I have food journaled and never found a consistent pattern.  I went round and round with some people on specific triggers, most specifically gluten and dairy.  I kept trying to tell them that my issues were sporadic and not related to any specific food.  Sometimes i'll eat something with gluten and get terrible cramps and diarrhea.  Other times I will eat an entire large pizza by myself and have no issues for days afterwards.   Sometimes I have different reactions to the exact same meal prepared the same way.
My MIL recently found out that she's allergic to garlic...and then found out that garlic is in everything. Something like that could explain why it seems intermittent. Garlic is in things you wouldn't expect it to be in and not consistently (as in one brand of canned black beans has it and another doesn't)

Does she feel uncomfortable with sunlight and churches, and is she able to see her reflection in the mirror?

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8022 on: May 01, 2015, 01:10:46 PM »
To add to the bed size discussion, my parents had me in a double bed since toddlerhood.  I got a new mattress sometime in high school.  The main reason they chose that size bed was to host family members and let them sleep in my room.  My grandparents, aunts and uncles, and older cousins have all slept on that bed at some time or another.  My brothers had two twins in their room, and people only slept there if my room was already hosting someone.  I got to sleep on the couch :p  The whole bed set still works great for my husband and I now!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8023 on: May 01, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »

Yup. It's the same system that lets crooks file fraudulent returns and get refunds under the names of perfect strangers. So I imagine it would be simple to keep tax returns out of sight from a spouse that doesn't insist on seeing them.

You still have to esign an efiling.  So it can't be "nobody signs" but it can be "husband fraudulently signs for wife"

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8024 on: May 01, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »

You still have to esign an efiling.  So it can't be "nobody signs" but it can be "husband fraudulently signs for wife"

Do you really?  What do you do to esign?  Is it just click a button? If so, my husband has always done that for me...
I guess I figured if we were filing jointly he signed for the household.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #8025 on: May 01, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »
Was having a good conversation with a co-worker about retirement until...

Me: You want to minimize your spending to help maximize your savings rate.
Co-worker: Yeah but you don't want to end up shopping at Goodwill like some loser.
Me:

I make more money than most of my friends but I'm the only one that shops at Goodwill. They're all too good for that. Even the really low income, always broke ones. They see it as the lowest of the low.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8026 on: May 01, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
I used to have a similar symptom many years ago.  Turns out I had a problem with unripe vegetables -- specifically green peppers.  Red, orange, yellow peppers, no problem.  Green?  Terrible cramping! 

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #8027 on: May 01, 2015, 02:50:28 PM »

Do you really?  What do you do to esign?  Is it just click a button? If so, my husband has always done that for me...

Yeah, I sign for my wife pretty much every year. It's not as if she's going to actually check the return for errors. It might as well be written in Sanskrit as far as she's concerned. She knows how much I earn, but she doesn't really care.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8028 on: May 01, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »

If you are a paid tax preparer, you are required to obtain signatures (for your files only) of both spouses. I've often had a hunch many husbands were forging their wives signatures, but more out of laziness than anything fraudulent or inappropriate.

But, when you have access to a software that can efile tax returns, you can file without a signature. Yes this is how tax fraud (ID theft) occurs. Getting signatures is the rule, by so is driving 55 MPH and that rule is broken all the time. I'm just saying, most people follow the rules, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to drive 95 MPH. It happens.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #8029 on: May 01, 2015, 03:05:10 PM »
Not overheard, but overseen. In line with coworkers and a VP for a food truck outside our office (company catered. Yay free food!). VP always dresses super sharp - blazer, funky pocket square, brand-name sunglasses. Coworker spots the VP's sunglasses and watch.
CW to VP - you look like you're ready to hit the club, man. You're not waiting for a sandwich, you're waiting for bottle service!
Vp plays it off coy,
CW - it's the shades and watch that seal the deal! You into watches?
VP - yep. Shows it off. It's a Breitling Bentley Super Speed. (Takes it off, turns it over, the automatic pendulum behind the back glass is actually the shape of a Bentley wheel)
CW (jokingly) - You must have a Breitling to go with every one of your blazers!
VP (not joking) - not every one, but I have them in all the colors to match any blazer. I'm up to 7. (He then proceeds to mention his other watches in his collection, Longines, Omega, etc...)

I had to look it up. Here's his Breitling, one of 7: http://www.amazon.com/Breitling-Bentley-Super-Sports-E2736522/dp/B00FGH6D3A/

Excuse me while I go pick my jaw up off the floor.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8030 on: May 01, 2015, 03:06:16 PM »

If you are a paid tax preparer, you are required to obtain signatures (for your files only) of both spouses. I've often had a hunch many husbands were forging their wives signatures, but more out of laziness than anything fraudulent or inappropriate.

But, when you have access to a software that can efile tax returns, you can file without a signature. Yes this is how tax fraud (ID theft) occurs. Getting signatures is the rule, by so is driving 55 MPH and that rule is broken all the time. I'm just saying, most people follow the rules, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to drive 95 MPH. It happens.

Either way, you have to esign with a PIN.  It's a legal signature, but obviously doesn't look like pen and paper.  See:

As with an income tax return submitted to the IRS on paper, the taxpayer and paid preparer (if applicable) must sign an electronic income tax return. Taxpayers must sign individual income tax returns electronically. There are currently two methods for signing individual income tax returns electronically (see Electronic Signature Methods, below).

Both methods allow taxpayers to use a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to sign the return and the Declaration of Taxpayer.

(http://www.irs.gov/uac/Signing-an-Electronic-Tax-Return)

So if your wife doesn't type the PIN herself, you are forging her signature, and are likely guilty of any crimes related thereto (technically, it probably wouldn't come up unless you go through a nasty divorce!)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8031 on: May 01, 2015, 03:47:36 PM »
Nice watch. Very cool. I'll pass, though! I'll enjoy looking from afar. I am (unlike some here) glad that some people have the money to fund ... well, functional art.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #8032 on: May 01, 2015, 03:53:18 PM »
Nice watch. Very cool. I'll pass, though! I'll enjoy looking from afar. I am (unlike some here) glad that some people have the money to fund ... well, functional art.

Oh, it's absolutely fabulous. Work of art. If you can afford several of those, more power to you. I'm not even blaming the VP of anything, he didn't start the conversation, played it totally cool.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #8033 on: May 01, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Not overheard, but overseen. In line with coworkers and a VP for a food truck outside our office (company catered. Yay free food!). VP always dresses super sharp - blazer, funky pocket square, brand-name sunglasses. Coworker spots the VP's sunglasses and watch.
CW to VP - you look like you're ready to hit the club, man. You're not waiting for a sandwich, you're waiting for bottle service!
Vp plays it off coy,
CW - it's the shades and watch that seal the deal! You into watches?
VP - yep. Shows it off. It's a Breitling Bentley Super Speed. (Takes it off, turns it over, the automatic pendulum behind the back glass is actually the shape of a Bentley wheel)
CW (jokingly) - You must have a Breitling to go with every one of your blazers!
VP (not joking) - not every one, but I have them in all the colors to match any blazer. I'm up to 7. (He then proceeds to mention his other watches in his collection, Longines, Omega, etc...)

I had to look it up. Here's his Breitling, one of 7: http://www.amazon.com/Breitling-Bentley-Super-Sports-E2736522/dp/B00FGH6D3A/

Excuse me while I go pick my jaw up off the floor.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8034 on: May 01, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »

Well, I won't go on about it but I couldn't identify a pattern by food journaling either, because mine is such a common food and such a non-standard one to be intolerant to, and (I have since discovered when I say "oh heck, I'll eat it anyway this one time") my reaction can take between twelve and forty eight hours to show. My philosophy is that you have nothing to lose by giving it a go, and it's only a temporary inconvenience that could make you feel better for the rest of your life. Personally, it's done wonders for me. If you don't think it's worth trying, then that's fine, but if you do want more information feel free to PM me.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #8035 on: May 01, 2015, 06:13:31 PM »
I thought of another one! I'm not sure if it's anti-Mustachian or just math stupid, though. Last year my work switched our pay periods. They are 2 weeks and used to run Saturday-Friday but we switched over to Thursday-Wednesday to match the other divisions of the company. During the transition we had a shortened pay period that ran from Saturday through only the following Wednesday. A lot of people tried to make sure to work more shifts during that shortened pay period so their check would be the same size as usual. That's not the dumb part... the dumb part is that a lot of people were absolutely convinced they were being cheated out of two days' pay. They couldn't seem to understand the concept that they were still getting paid for all the days they worked, but Thursday and Friday of that week would now be on the next check! I guess technically they would get caught up at the end of time, i.e. on their very last check from the company, there would be 2 more days' worth of pay than if the switchover hadn't happened, assuming they worked the same number of days in both instances. But jeez.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8036 on: May 02, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »

My MIL recently found out that she's allergic to garlic...and then found out that garlic is in everything. Something like that could explain why it seems intermittent. Garlic is in things you wouldn't expect it to be in and not consistently (as in one brand of canned black beans has it and another doesn't)

Ex boyfriend was allergic to onion. Onion is also everywhere. Luckily, he wasn't severe, but would have to remember which brand of whatever was ok and which was not.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #8037 on: May 03, 2015, 12:01:07 AM »
The hospital where I work has a main cafeteria and several cafes in different places on the campus. There is only one cafe open late (till 2 AM), and that's where a lot of night shift crew get their mid-shift meal. It's a deli-type setup with made-to-order sandwiches & salads, as well as a bunch of pre-made things and a different hot option every night.

Well, last night and tonight, the mechanism that keeps the sandwich/salad bar cold is broken, so there are no made-to-order sandwiches or salads. This means that the hot special sold out earlier than usual (at 11:15, and most of us don't even take a lunch break till at least midnight), and the pre-made stuff was running really low. Basically all that was left was things like chips, cookies, etc. Junk. There are a few healthier options, but they're expensive - $2.59 for a single-serving greek yogurt!!

...or so I was told. That was my original understanding of the situation, based on what I told. Turns out that while the hot special was sold out, the other hot food items - including quiche, premade fried chicken sandwiches, and chicken wings - were not. There were also several premade deli sandwiches & salads left, and they didn't look "limp and gross," as was claimed.

People are pissed. I listened to one nurse rant for a good 5 minutes about how the hospital is "obligated" to provide food, this is unacceptable, etc.

I brought food from home. Cheaper and healthier. I don't think my employer is obligated to feed me; I'm an adult and perfectly capable of feeding myself.

Yes, it's inconvenient, and there are ways they could have avoided this, but at the end of the day, I don't think it's something to be outraged over. And it's one more reason to pack a lunch!

EDITED to include information that I didn't know at first.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:16:23 PM by tofuchampion »

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #8038 on: May 03, 2015, 11:12:47 AM »
The hospital where I work has a main cafeteria and several cafes in different places on the campus. There is only one cafe open late (till 2 AM), and that's where a lot of night shift crew get their mid-shift meal. It's a deli-type setup with made-to-order sandwiches & salads, as well as a bunch of pre-made things and a different hot option every night.

Well, last night and tonight, the mechanism that keeps the sandwich/salad bar cold is broken, so there are no made-to-order sandwiches or salads. This means that the hot special sold out earlier than usual (at 11:15, and most of us don't even take a lunch break till at least midnight), and the pre-made stuff was running really low. Basically all that was left was things like chips, cookies, etc. Junk. There are a few healthier options, but they're expensive - $2.59 for a single-serving greek yogurt!!

People are pissed. I listened to one nurse rant for a good 5 minutes about how the hospital is "obligated" to provide food, this is unacceptable, etc.

I brought food from home. Cheaper and healthier. I don't think my employer is obligated to feed me; I'm an adult and perfectly capable of feeding myself.

Yes, it's inconvenient, and there are ways they could have avoided this, but at the end of the day, I don't think it's something to be outraged over. And it's one more reason to pack a lunch!

I can see myself on the other side here.. I'm working the night shift, my routine is to get my food here, maybe for me it's my one hot meal of the day or whatever, and they are shut down.  There's no time to go somewhere else, and I have been on my feet for hours and have hours to go.  I would absolutely not be happy either.  Maybe I would bring my food after that, but in the moment it would burn my bacon (no pun intended).  Plus, as a patient in said hospital, I want my caregivers happy and on top of their games.  Administration could have at least called in a food truck.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #8039 on: May 03, 2015, 07:12:33 PM »
Yes, but it's not like there was no food. There was and is, just not what ppl wanted. I don't know why they didn't just open up the cafeteria instead.

I was mostly wtf-ing at the idea that an employer is obligated to feed their employees. Last time I checked, that's what your paycheck is for.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8040 on: May 03, 2015, 07:49:33 PM »
An employer isn't obligated to feed their employees, but if they make a food source available such that their employees count on it and then it's suddenly not available and there are no nearby alternatives, they're going to have hungry, upset employees. And the employer isn't providing free food, just making a cafe available in the building, which is not out of the ordinary.

Look at it like this: your employer provides a fridge and microwave, right? Not obligatory on their part, but a good idea for employee morale. You've come to expect that they'll be available. You plan on it. You pack perishable items that need reheating knowing that the necessary appliances will be there for you. Until suddenly, one day, they're not. Yeah, sure, you could have packed a PBJ and an apple. Maybe that would have been a better option for other reasons. But you couldn't be expected to know that the employer-provided aids to feeding yourself at work would be suddenly unavailable.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:51:09 PM by merula »

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #8041 on: May 03, 2015, 07:59:59 PM »
But there ARE alternatives! There are pre-made sandwiches & salads, a ton of snack food items, plus they had hot wings and hot pre-made fried chicken sandwiches, quiche, and other stuff. The ONLY thing not available is made-to-order sandwiches and salads, and the regular hot special sold out earlier than it usually does.

I stand by my original claim that this was an overreaction. There was/is plenty of food options, just not the handful of ones that some people wanted.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8042 on: May 03, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »
I stand by my original claim that this was an overreaction. There was/is plenty of food options, just not the handful of ones that some people wanted.

I'm with tofu. It's ridiculous. Self-reliance trumps entitlement. If I brought nothing and relied on the cafe it's my fault. If I brought something that needed a microwave and it was broken, oops. Looks like a little fasting is what the doctor ordered today. Water. Water. And patience. Problem solved.

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #8043 on: May 03, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
But there ARE alternatives! There are pre-made sandwiches & salads, a ton of snack food items, plus they had hot wings and hot pre-made fried chicken sandwiches, quiche, and other stuff. The ONLY thing not available is made-to-order sandwiches and salads, and the regular hot special sold out earlier than it usually does.

If I recall the original post, it said that all of the things you're listing here were running very low and all that was left was junk food, chips, candy etc. and maybe yogurt.  Very different scenario.   I would be upset in this scenario, if I was planning on a hot meal and couldn't even get a sandwich.  My blood sugar does not deal well with candy for lunch. 

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #8044 on: May 03, 2015, 08:41:22 PM »
I was told - the original rant was - that there was nothing but junk left. Turns out that was not the case. The ranter also said she was going to email the CEO o complain, and I don't doubt she did.

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #8045 on: May 03, 2015, 08:52:12 PM »
I was told - the original rant was - that there was nothing but junk left. Turns out that was not the case. The ranter also said she was going to email the CEO o complain, and I don't doubt she did.

It would be nice for you to acknowledge that your original post misrepresented the situation.  And even though it now sounds like there was more food that you originally said, I still want my hospital caregivers well fed and happy.  Get the dang situation fixed please, administrators. 

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #8046 on: May 03, 2015, 09:06:28 PM »

It would be nice for you to acknowledge that your original post misrepresented the situation.   And even though it now sounds like there was more food that you originally said, I still want my hospital caregivers well fed and happy.  Get the dang situation fixed please, administrators.

Pretty sure I just did, in the post that you quoted. ;) At the time I posted, I posted my understanding of the situation, based on what I had been told. Later, I went down to the cafe myself, to get coffee, and saw that yes, stock was lower than usual, everything was not gone. Running low =/= sold out.

I'm with tofu. It's ridiculous. Self-reliance trumps entitlement. If I brought nothing and relied on the cafe it's my fault. If I brought something that needed a microwave and it was broken, oops. Looks like a little fasting is what the doctor ordered today. Water. Water. And patience. Problem solved.

Thank you! We also have some snack items on the units. Technically they're for patients, but no one minds if staff eats them. If I hadn't brought lunch and didn't want what was available, I would have heated up a Lean Cuisine, or had some crackers + peanut butter, or cereal, or a can of soup. Or, barring that, ordered pizza or Chinese delivery.

What I would not do was freak out about the horrible injustice of the situation, refuse to consider my options, and moan that I "had to eat potato chips" because there wasn't anything else available. I also would not email the CEO of the damn hospital, because I'm pretty sure he has better things to worry about than a minor food service hiccup.

Anyway, this wasn't really avoidable. Stuff breaks. Repairs generally can't be done on weekends. The hospital is doing what they can, but it is not a tragedy and I don't see how it could impact patient care.

Magnum58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8047 on: May 04, 2015, 04:47:46 AM »
I've been stalking this forum and thread for years and finally have something I just had to share. So, CW and her husband earn about the same as me and my partner, which is to say, not super big bucks but comfortably in the top third of Australian household income. We're all around 30 years old, but they actually reached that paygrade a couple years before me/us so ought to be better off than us, eh?

CW frequently talks about wanting to buy their own home, but it's just 'impossible to save a deposit while you're renting'. (Err, that's exactly what we did.)

They would like a 2nd kid, but they 'can't afford to take maternity leave again'. This is despite a very generous mat leave scheme with 20 weeks at full pay and 18 weeks at federal minimum pay, and you can even take it at half pay to minimise tax and actually stretch it out over a full year! I goggled at that and couldn't resist probing. Turns out CW's husband's still paying off two loans, so that's like half of each of his pay in repayments.

However, being actually on the same pay as them currently - in fact quite a bit less until very recently - I know for a fact that it's entirely possible for them to live off only one pay and throw the other pay (nearly  $2000 per fortnight) into debt and then a house deposit. Especially as they get free childcare from their parents! (Childcare costs a bomb where we are.)

Instead, CW is an avid shopper and often spends lunch breaks shopping - often at the kinds of stores I might venture into once every few years to find something spiffy for a really nice occasion (like my own wedding). She'll give her mother cash to buy gift cards for her (or some complicated money swapping arrangement) so she can buy things without husband knowing how much she has spent, and proudly tells us how she pulls the 'this old thing? I've had it for ages' trick with her husband. Her rationale is that she sees buying nice clothes as 'an investment in herself, since she's earning such good money'. I guess the good thing is she's shopping in cash, as she doesn't want her purchases on their joint credit card statement so at least she's not running up debt for shoes.

CW also buys cafe coffee at work nearly every day, easily to a tune of $20 a week. I pointed out she could save money by bringing her own coffee pods to use with the Nespresso machine at work, or even just bring a coffee plunger as our office provides free milk, sugar, tea, instant coffee and ground coffee!!! No, apparently she's trying to cut back on coffee and thinks having to walk out and spend money on coffee will help reduce consumption...

I'm just about to give up on the conversation at this point, when CW throws in the doozy that buying a house wouldn't be a problem if her parents would just sell the house they inherited from her grandparents, which would be more than enough to provide her with a deposit. Because her parents have always intended to share that inheritance with her anyway, so she'd rather they shared it now when she could actually use it, instead of dragging their feet on for years.

Seriously, if they'd just knuckle down to it they really could clear the debt and save up a 20% deposit within 2-3 years, then use the eventual inheritance to pay off the house early and be well set then. But I guess they're just going to continue throwing money away in rent while waiting for her parents to finally hand over the inheritance for a deposit... at which point they'll probably also just continue to throw away another 30 years worth of mortgage interest payments at 7% - 8%. Sigh. I am occasionally bit by envy at her beautiful wardrobe, but clothes can't compare to being mortgage-free so I'm hanging in there.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8048 on: May 04, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
so she can buy things without husband knowing how much she has spent, and proudly tells us how she pulls the 'this old thing? I've had it for ages' trick with her husband.

I'm absolutely not a fan of this. Poor spending habits aside, I dislike when a spouse constantly lies to their partner.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #8049 on: May 04, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »
Wasn't at work, but it was off-topically related to goodwill, and I was buying work clothes...

I saw a young man talking to a worker about buying a couch, how he could get slip covers, he is moving out on his own for the first time (so far, so good, right?)

Then I hear him say "Yeah, but I'm going to need to get a loan from the bank for this because I just bought a new truck so I can move my stuff"

At least he was at goodwill?  But it's yard sale season, and end of college curb find season, and a truck just to move?  aw, man.