Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252878 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #2500 on: April 30, 2014, 08:01:35 PM »
We get these bonuses at work, where you can give people who did a good job on your project a certain number of points in this online catalog.  So CW and I had worked on a project for an internal client together.  I got a bunch of points, which I promptly traded in for $2500 cash.  Other options were things like laptops, watches, a $2000 Macy's gift car (yes you read that right -- you could either choose $2500 cash or a $2000 gift card, for the same # of points).  When this system was first introduced I used my first batch of points to buy things like a beautiful wooden outdoor dining set, and then I saw the taxes taken out of the next paycheck and nearly died.  So I wised up, and now only get the cash.

The mind boggles.

The only reason I can think that people would do this, is to have an "excuse" to go buy a bunch of expensive clothes.  "Oh, I have a gift card from work, so it was basically free."  Nevermind they could have had 25% more in cold hard cash.  Derp.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2501 on: April 30, 2014, 11:50:52 PM »
a $2000 Macy's gift car (yes you read that right -- you could either choose $2500 cash or a $2000 gift card, for the same # of points).

I bet Macy's has a corresponding "Get two for the price of three" offer in their stores. ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2502 on: May 01, 2014, 12:03:22 AM »
We get these bonuses at work, where you can give people who did a good job on your project a certain number of points in this online catalog.  So CW and I had worked on a project for an internal client together.  I got a bunch of points, which I promptly traded in for $2500 cash.  Other options were things like laptops, watches, a $2000 Macy's gift car (yes you read that right -- you could either choose $2500 cash or a $2000 gift card, for the same # of points).  When this system was first introduced I used my first batch of points to buy things like a beautiful wooden outdoor dining set, and then I saw the taxes taken out of the next paycheck and nearly died.  So I wised up, and now only get the cash.

So I told CW that she probably had points, too, and she could check.  So she says she didn't even bother checking that system any more, because she bought some things and the taxes taken out were outrageous.  So I said, yes, but you can get cash!  So if you choose the $2500 cash award, you'll get it in your paycheck.  They'll take a few hundred dollars out for taxes, sure, but you still end up with nearly $2K extra in your paycheck.  So CW shrugs and just said, "I just don't bother with those points.  Really.  I don't care about them."

I think she must have $5K in points sitting in her account.  All she has to do is choose the cash gift option, and the money (minus taxes) will be in her next paycheck.  But she isn't going to bother doing that.  And then meanwhile she complains constantly about being broke.  It is insane.

Uh, can she give you the points?  Can you offer to give her the taxes, plus $100 up front to give you the point proceeds at her next paycheck?  That might make it more apparent to her.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2503 on: May 01, 2014, 02:11:40 AM »
CW: "I got my delivery of $2000 worth of lace today!" (for her wedding). What the actual frick?

Different coworker: I haven't seen this guy in a few months (we work in different parts), and he told me he'd ridden his bike to work a few times :D YAY! Last time we talked, I told him to definitely try it (given that he lives like, 2km =1.2mi from work!). So happy!!

franny61390

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2504 on: May 01, 2014, 09:27:19 AM »
I have a coworker who is a single mom and regularly complains about not having enough money. I remember once I had an emergency car repair that cost around $1200, and I was talking about how it sucks but I am grateful that I have money saved for these kind of emercencies without going into debt. She mentioned that she would have had to put it on credit, because she doesn't have the savings to cover that kind of expense.

This lady goes on a 7 day all-inclusive vacation to Disney every year (with the meal package of course), spends $800/ month on "the best' day care for her son and spent a freaking $1000 on a bed for a two year old! She also commutes 45 minutes to work each way, has a fancy SUV and is constantly going out to eat at restaurants.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2505 on: May 01, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »
This lady goes on a 7 day all-inclusive vacation to Disney every year (with the meal package of course), spends $800/ month on "the best' day care for her son and spent a freaking $1000 on a bed for a two year old! She also commutes 45 minutes to work each way, has a fancy SUV and is constantly going out to eat at restaurants.

Just going to say...under $10k for daycare here would be an absolute bargain, a complete steal.  The one in my building is about $26k I think...and that's average.

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #2506 on: May 01, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
Yeah, $800/month for day-care that could be sincerely referred to as "the best" would be an absolute steal.  For infants, "the best" type day-care around here runs closer to $1800/month.  For toddlers, $1500/month or more. 

We did that for our first kid, and are in a home daycare with several close friends for our second, where the price doesn't come close.  The differences are pretty significant, and sometime it's hard not to think we're depriving the younger guy of something valuable.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #2507 on: May 01, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »

The mind boggles.

The only reason I can think that people would do this, is to have an "excuse" to go buy a bunch of expensive clothes.  "Oh, I have a gift card from work, so it was basically free."  Nevermind they could have had 25% more in cold hard cash.  Derp.

My credit card reward points are the same way. 2500 points for $25 deposited in my savings account, or 3500 for a $25 gift certificate.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2508 on: May 01, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »
Interesting.  My Discover card is different - you can get $45 cash, or a $50 gift certificate.

Gracie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2509 on: May 01, 2014, 06:15:12 PM »
I heard a good thing at work! I was chatting with my favorite coworker and mentioned something about MMM. He goes, what's that? I said, oh just this guy who retired at age 30 by saving over 60% of his income. And he leans towards me and in a whisper says, I do that.

Late to the party...but Awesome

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #2510 on: May 01, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »
This one, I overheard at school from a friend who will not be named.

He was complaining about the costs of education and the interest rates on student loans. At the same time, the man spends, by his estimate, several hundred dollars a month on drinks at bars.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go to bars ever, but if he cut it down, he'd probably owe a lot less than he currently does. Like, a LOT less.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2511 on: May 01, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »
CW1: "I'm buying a kluger because when the baby is born we'll need a bigger car".
CW2: "Oooh, what about a prado?"
CW1: "Nah, we won't need a prado until we have two kids".

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2512 on: May 01, 2014, 06:36:32 PM »
$12,000 a year private school fees.... for a 6 year old?????!!! And she has two kids.... in today's dollars she will spend at least $288K educating them (in reality actually a lot more as high school fees tend to run a lot higher than lower school fees)...
In comparison a house in the "best" school zone could be purchased for $600-$800K (i.e. $100-$300K more than an average house, with the advantage that the best school zones are close to work, the beach and public transit and have low crime so it would be a better place to live anyway)... I know where I'd be putting my money and it wouldn't be the private school.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2513 on: May 01, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
$12,000 a year private school fees.... for a 6 year old?????!!! And she has two kids.... in today's dollars she will spend at least $288K educating them (in reality actually a lot more as high school fees tend to run a lot higher than lower school fees)...
In comparison a house in the "best" school zone could be purchased for $600-$800K (i.e. $100-$300K more than an average house, with the advantage that the best school zones are close to work, the beach and public transit and have low crime so it would be a better place to live anyway)... I know where I'd be putting my money and it wouldn't be the private school.

Haha that's my strategy if I decide I need my kids to be in a high performing school... move to a high performing suburb, put them in the local public school and enjoy all the benefits of living in that suburb.

Speaking of private schools, they've been a topic of discussion in the workplace lately and apparently high schools in Perth cost $10-15k for a Catholic school and $20-25k for Anglican, non-religious etc. Jeepers. I wonder how many kids would rather be sent to a public school and NOT have their parents in massive amounts of debt.

tracipam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2514 on: May 02, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »

Today I was chatting with a (much older) coworker. 

She said, idly:  "Did you ever think about how much you would save, if, right away on your first job you actually saved money in your 401K?"

Me:  *long pause* "......Yes....."

Coworker:  "No, I mean seriously; like, not just up to the employer match, but to actually like, max it out to whatever the maximum is?" 

Me:  *longer pause* "......Yesss......"

In my head I was thinking, 'Aieeeeee!!  What, you think you have to stop saving money once you get to the maximum?  And you DON'T KNOW what the 401K limit is?' 

This woman is probably ~60, complains INCESSANTLY about working and the environment at our company,  and has no one in her life except her dog.  I've been (and still am) wondering what in the world she spends her money on that she isn't retired already...

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #2515 on: May 03, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
A co-worker bought a brand new car over the weekend. He got an FJ Cruiser, probably around $32k. He also got all of the "extended warranty" options. He will spend more in interest payments on his car than I paid for my last car.

The best part was some of the quotes:

"My wife and I alternate who gets a new car every 5 years, but I sure was liking not having a car payment. Oh well." (they separate finances I think)

"I really needed the 4 wheel drive. ... We don't really like camping or not having running water." (... so we wont really take this anywhere we would need 4 wheel drive...) "Maybe we'll get an camper trailer though, that would make sense."

CW: "We don't drive that much, but I sure am going to miss the gas mileage of what I had."
Me: "Oh, what did you have before?"
CW: "A 2004 Scion xA" (happens to be the same car as MMM)
Me: "Well, what are you doing with your old car" (maybe I want to buy it?)
CW: "Because we took such great care of it and only had 80k miles on it, the dealer gave me $3k for it as a trade in!" (this car is worth $7k easily on craigslist and probably $5000 at carmax)

Ouch. Then again, the fact that he was spending 32k on a new car means he probably wasn't thinking much about whether he was missing out on 4k by not pursuing that sale on his own. Still a shame, though.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #2516 on: May 03, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »
Overheard outside of work:

I was at a marriage workshop thingy (it was pretty cool, and my fiancé liked it too!) with a bunch of other couples. In chatting with one of the women there, she decided to give me some advice: "Money is the root of all evil. All your fights will be about money. Cause if you think about it, when will you ever stop wanting to buy things?"

She was dead serious. I felt like a deer in the headlights, because 99% of the time I'm a minimalist and I don't care for travelling so I can really truly picture not wanting to buy things. I changed the subject somehow, but wow - I was shocked to see that people really feel that way. I wish I could rememeber her exact wording, but you get the idea.

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2517 on: May 04, 2014, 10:22:50 AM »
The people on the $160 AT&T plans would consider the cheaper plans to have plenty of catches. Republic Wireless: you can't get an iPhone. Airvoice: the $10 plan will cut off service if you run down your balance. None of these MVNOs have roaming agreements with other carriers (to my knowledge). Some of these companies' websites and phone support leave much to be desired.

To us these sorts of things aren't a big deal, but other people are used to the cushiness of the Big 4 and arguing purely based on price won't get you anywhere. You first have to convince people that the things that differentiate the Big 4 from the cheap players don't have much value, then the alternatives will seem appealing.

And this is exactly why I'm so picky about which MVNOs I namecheck in the guide. Roaming agreements aren't that big a deal if you know what sort of coverage is actually available, but customer support and reasonable terms of service go a long way towards end users.

I would also say that Republic has far more catches than most people here realize as well. There is such a thing as caring too much about getting the cheapest monthly deal that you start entering into contracts that you probably shouldn't and ignore the very real added cost of being able to do business at that price in the first place.

I've had great luck with Ting. You can have almost any phone you want, roam on Verizon's network, and customer support has a no waiting and no computer systems policy (they pick up the phone).

We have also had great luck with Ting.  Our bill last month for 3 smart phones was $70!!!! (including usage by 16 year old!)

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2518 on: May 04, 2014, 10:41:23 AM »
Overheard outside of work:

I was at a marriage workshop thingy (it was pretty cool, and my fiancé liked it too!) with a bunch of other couples. In chatting with one of the women there, she decided to give me some advice: "Money is the root of all evil. All your fights will be about money. Cause if you think about it, when will you ever stop wanting to buy things?"

She was dead serious. I felt like a deer in the headlights, because 99% of the time I'm a minimalist and I don't care for travelling so I can really truly picture not wanting to buy things. I changed the subject somehow, but wow - I was shocked to see that people really feel that way. I wish I could rememeber her exact wording, but you get the idea.

I feel sorry for couples who argue about money all the time.  Must be very stressful

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2519 on: May 04, 2014, 11:00:27 AM »
I feel sorry for couples who argue about money all the time.  Must be very stressful

I feel sorry for couples who argue about ANYTHING all the time. To me, if you can't get along, and fight regularly, why are you together? It's a pretty big indicator of incompatibility.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2520 on: May 04, 2014, 03:17:57 PM »
I don't think fighting is the problem.  It's fighting and then holding long grudges and resentment. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2521 on: May 04, 2014, 03:53:24 PM »

Today I was chatting with a (much older) coworker. 

She said, idly:  "Did you ever think about how much you would save, if, right away on your first job you actually saved money in your 401K?"

Me:  *long pause* "......Yes....."

Coworker:  "No, I mean seriously; like, not just up to the employer match, but to actually like, max it out to whatever the maximum is?" 

Me:  *longer pause* "......Yesss......"

In my head I was thinking, 'Aieeeeee!!  What, you think you have to stop saving money once you get to the maximum?  And you DON'T KNOW what the 401K limit is?' 

This woman is probably ~60, complains INCESSANTLY about working and the environment at our company,  and has no one in her life except her dog.  I've been (and still am) wondering what in the world she spends her money on that she isn't retired already...

I had a similar conversation with a coworker recently. I think she's mid 40s like me or maybe early 50s? She's unmarried and has a lot of cats, I've gathered. We were talking about potential layoffs at work. I mentioned that's what triggered me to downsize my house and look at cutting my expenses further. She then started thinking aloud and thought she should pay off some of her credit card debt. Then she said "I have the money to pay off the credit card debt, but then I'd be poor". I didn't know what to say after that...

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2522 on: May 04, 2014, 04:38:12 PM »
On a call at work today with some people in the Northeast.  They were extremely happy they were now allowed to telecommute, especially the guy who was commuting 73 miles each way. 

I worked in that office for a few years and knew quite a few people who commuted in from the next state over (at least an hour away, sometimes 1.5 hours away).  They wanted a bigger house and lower property taxes.

I've spent almost my entire internship wondering why 2 coworkers drive 75 minutes every day. They do get paid half mileage, but still. 2.5 hours of the day lost on driving. They were moved to this office over 5 years ago.

They could live where I do and only drive 25 minutes and probably have an identical or lower housing cost, plus good schools for the kiddies.
My husband is going to commute so I can finish my PhD.  It was the closest university with a PI and research he liked.  It sucks but as soon as I finish the money will stop being wasted.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2523 on: May 04, 2014, 05:10:03 PM »
I don't think fighting is the problem.  It's fighting and then holding long grudges and resentment.

Maybe it doesn't bother other people. For me, fighting a lot would mean we have pretty fundamental differences, which would make me wonder why I was with the person. I'm not a fighting sort of person AT ALL, so it would be very difficult to resolve issues with someone if that was how they dealt with conflicts.

Two people who both liked to fight would probably get along very well, come to think of it.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2524 on: May 04, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »

Haha that's my strategy if I decide I need my kids to be in a high performing school... move to a high performing suburb, put them in the local public school and enjoy all the benefits of living in that suburb.

Speaking of private schools, they've been a topic of discussion in the workplace lately and apparently high schools in Perth cost $10-15k for a Catholic school and $20-25k for Anglican, non-religious etc. Jeepers. I wonder how many kids would rather be sent to a public school and NOT have their parents in massive amounts of debt.

Yup. I mean is it really going to make that much of a difference... when plenty of publics are in the top 20 (Shenton, Willeton and Mt Lawley all spring to mind) why would you? It's also not like said co worker will be sending her kid to a top 20 anyway... (Just a Catholic School). I actually pointed this out to her (politely, I was like, "lots of public schools made the top 20 list, maybe you can check some of them out") and the response was priceless - "We're private school people" (in other words... it's not about the quality of the education!)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2525 on: May 04, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »
I heard two good ones today at the company picnic. By good I mean surprisingly Mustachian. I guess it helps that I work with engineers.

CW1 accepted a severance package last year but they asked her to stay on until mid-year this year to finish a project. She's about to leave in a month. She shared that she's 46 and it's time for a break. She has plans to see her daughter off to college, teach dance classes, etc. She and her husband have been conservative with their finances their whole lives. She stated she's done everything right and by the book up until now and she's just going to enjoy this time. I could have said the same exact words! Unfortunately, she's not ready for ER yet.

CW2 and I were talking about potential upcoming severance packages and he's all ready to accept it as I am. He wants to slow travel to Europe with his wife and parents. He is also mid-40s.

They both mentioned that we are in our 40s and are tired of doing the same thing. So it looks like being financially prepared gives you options in life. I was very impressed!
We just had layoffs.  Sadly, those of us who wanted the package were not laid off.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2526 on: May 05, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »

Maybe it doesn't bother other people. For me, fighting a lot would mean we have pretty fundamental differences, which would make me wonder why I was with the person. I'm not a fighting sort of person AT ALL, so it would be very difficult to resolve issues with someone if that was how they dealt with conflicts.

Two people who both liked to fight would probably get along very well, come to think of it.

All depends on the people involved, I think. My fiance says he never had a single fight with his ex, and they were together for five years, and even then he saw it as a red flag.

We fight when we need to, but that's how we work out differences of opinion. If you're not a fighting person, presumably you're still working things out somehow, it's just not in such a way that fits most definitions of fighting. Fighting has actually been good for my fiance; with his ex, it wasn't that he wasn't a fighter, it was that they both avoided confrontation at all costs, any kind of confrontation that might lead to any kind of conflict. Engaging in some level of fighting has helped him be ok with confronting me when I'm being an asshole, instead of just swallowing everything and burping out resentment.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2527 on: May 05, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »
I heard two good ones today at the company picnic. By good I mean surprisingly Mustachian. I guess it helps that I work with engineers.

CW1 accepted a severance package last year but they asked her to stay on until mid-year this year to finish a project. She's about to leave in a month. She shared that she's 46 and it's time for a break. She has plans to see her daughter off to college, teach dance classes, etc. She and her husband have been conservative with their finances their whole lives. She stated she's done everything right and by the book up until now and she's just going to enjoy this time. I could have said the same exact words! Unfortunately, she's not ready for ER yet.

CW2 and I were talking about potential upcoming severance packages and he's all ready to accept it as I am. He wants to slow travel to Europe with his wife and parents. He is also mid-40s.

They both mentioned that we are in our 40s and are tired of doing the same thing. So it looks like being financially prepared gives you options in life. I was very impressed!
We just had layoffs.  Sadly, those of us who wanted the package were not laid off.

An MMM-style tragedy, indeed.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #2528 on: May 06, 2014, 04:48:06 AM »
A common misquote; it's actually "love of money" which is supposed* to be the root of all evil. Fighting about money could be a sign that they value it too highly.

*In the Bible, of all places. One has to wonder what Satan's salary as CEO of Hell is. Anyway, we can probably agree that there's plenty of evil which isn't motivated by money, so let's dispense with the philosophy.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #2529 on: May 06, 2014, 09:38:36 AM »
A common misquote; it's actually "love of money" which is supposed* to be the root of all evil. Fighting about money could be a sign that they value it too highly.

*In the Bible, of all places. One has to wonder what Satan's salary as CEO of Hell is. Anyway, we can probably agree that there's plenty of evil which isn't motivated by money, so let's dispense with the philosophy.

Looks like it's really only the KJV that uses the phrase 'all evil'. Most other translations use: 'For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.' Would look deeper into the translation differences if I had the time. Hmm maybe a good weekend project.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2530 on: May 06, 2014, 01:41:21 PM »
Mine says, "Money is the root of all sorts of injurious things." :D

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2531 on: May 07, 2014, 05:25:48 AM »
Just got a big (20k ) raise, and in my new department on the first day I overheard my fellow workers:

"Blah, blah, blah, yeah and I want the new X designer bag"
"Yeah I'm going to get the X designer bag too, etc"
"(laughing) yeah we just have to wait until next payday because I'm so broke!"

Um. WHAT IS HAPPENING? For all the shit I read about my horrible generation (I'm 26) I mostly hear this kind of talk from people over the ages of 35-40 in my office. They spend $6000 on a handbag they don't bat an eye, lunch out everyday, don't bat an eye, I bring my own coffee in a jar to work or mention not having cable and they all scream HIPSTER!!!! Yeah, I'm not a hipster, I'm aware of the results of stupid spending. By the way, since when did using recycled bags and making things from scratch mean hipster? My 90 year old grandma does that so I guess she must be a hipster too.

Well young people doing things old people do is typical hipster.  Like spinning your own yarn:

Ok.  I know this post is old, but this is awesome.  This is my side business!

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2532 on: May 07, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
Our work is moving to a new location. I said I was going to move into the onsite apartments and ride my bike 1/4 mi to work.

CW1 says: I could never live in an apartment again, I have too much stuff!
Me: Maybe you could downsize?
CW2: No, don't you see, he loves his stuff!

CW1 then proceeds to talk about the 4000sq ft house he just got and how he had to fill up all the extra space with new stuff! And how him and his wife don't use all the space, its just for guests!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2533 on: May 07, 2014, 05:11:02 PM »
This whole hipster thing is fantastic...
Now I'm cool and don't have to cop flak for my MMM behaviors anymore ;-)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2534 on: May 07, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »

I had hipsters explained to me after picking up a copy of Frankie's (http://www.frankie.com.au). I got all excited by it - look people like me! (Except this stuff isn't quite practical and that costs too much)... Oh, these people don't actually like it, only ironically? Well at least I can blend in if I curb my enthusiasm...

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2535 on: May 07, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »
I live in Vancouver, which is one of the hipster capitals of the world. About two years ago people stopped calling me weird and started calling me hipster. Apparently it's getting worse - I'm now at the extreme end of hipster, the kind that makes people roll their eyes. I haven't actually changed any of my behaviour over the years (maybe learned a few more DIY things than before), so it's interesting seeing the perception change.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2536 on: May 07, 2014, 07:21:21 PM »

I had hipsters explained to me after picking up a copy of Frankie's (http://www.frankie.com.au). I got all excited by it - look people like me! (Except this stuff isn't quite practical and that costs too much)... Oh, these people don't actually like it, only ironically? Well at least I can blend in if I curb my enthusiasm...

Maybe it's just the people I know, but they do sincerely like the frankie / hipster lifestyle, not just ironically. So some of my friends have a crochet circle with me, and they talk about attempting to cook sponge cakes, and wear frilly aprons. My kind of people. I always knew if I waited long enough the 1950s housewife ideal would come back into fashion...

Back on topic:

"It looks like I will have paid off my credit card debt from my last holiday sometime in the next six months, so that means I can start planning my next holiday!"

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2537 on: May 07, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
My downstairs neighbor and cubicle neighbor extended an invitation to use his dry cleaner. Apparently the dry cleaner picks up and delivers ~40,000w ($39.06 USD) worth of dry cleaning a month from him, and would be happy to collect more in our building. Uh... no. I don't have anything that needs dry cleaning.

Am I just crazy? Is $40 a month on dry cleaning normal?

He also has a cleaning lady for his 275 sq ft apartment, which I still don't understand.

Our lifestyle isn't the type that demands outsourcing these jobs, in my opinion.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2538 on: May 08, 2014, 02:13:49 AM »
We were discussing automatic bill payments and one of my subordinates mentioned that he has everything but his cell phone bill on auto because "they take the money three days before the 1st so I have to wait until payday."  I know he's not living paycheck to paycheck since he recently had a $2000 truck repair bill without his hair catching fire, but that comment seemed out of place.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #2539 on: May 08, 2014, 06:43:13 AM »
My downstairs neighbor and cubicle neighbor extended an invitation to use his dry cleaner. Apparently the dry cleaner picks up and delivers ~40,000w ($39.06 USD) worth of dry cleaning a month from him, and would be happy to collect more in our building. Uh... no. I don't have anything that needs dry cleaning.

He also has a cleaning lady for his 275 sq ft apartment, which I still don't understand.

Our lifestyle isn't the type that demands outsourcing these jobs, in my opinion.

I think we have a similar lifestyle over here. no need to outsource if you only have to work 20-30 hrs a week

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2540 on: May 08, 2014, 07:10:58 AM »

I make sure all clothes I buy can be washed, not dry cleaned.  Clothes that need dry cleaning, aren't needed by a Mustachian.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2541 on: May 08, 2014, 07:35:02 AM »

I make sure all clothes I buy can be washed, not dry cleaned.  Clothes that need dry cleaning, aren't needed by a Mustachian.

That's not really true - there are some jobs that require the type of clothing that has to be dry cleaned.  Finance comes to mind.  I don't happen to have a job like that myself because I can generally get away with using dryel most of the time and only taking stuff in every - let's be honest, 6-12 months (trending more to 12) or so - to be dry cleaned.  I'm a lawyer, but for the state - a partner at a law firm might need it though.  But some really can't get away with using dryel and need the type of clothes that are dry clean only.

Is it a $40 fee to pick up dry cleaning?  Or is it that they will pick up dry cleaning once a month, and clean it for you, charging a minimum of $40 (so if you have $60 worth of stuff you pay $60 and if you have $30 worth of stuff you pay $40)?  The former is not mustachian, as you well know.  The latter, if you regularly require dry cleaning upwards of $40 a month could be.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2542 on: May 08, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »
We were discussing automatic bill payments and one of my subordinates mentioned that he has everything but his cell phone bill on auto because "they take the money three days before the 1st so I have to wait until payday."  I know he's not living paycheck to paycheck since he recently had a $2000 truck repair bill without his hair catching fire, but that comment seemed out of place.

Maybe he just doesn't want to leave money sitting in checking all month (or two weeks) to pay that bill at the end of the month? I don't put anything on auto because I like the sense of control and have never forgotten; granted, I only have 4 payments to make.

jimmymango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2543 on: May 08, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »

Cringe.

Surely dry cleaning a suit or dress 1-2 times per year, and any associated events at which said clothing might be worn, is incompatible with FI!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2544 on: May 08, 2014, 12:18:57 PM »
Oooh, double treadle, you should be BFLGirl, not BFGirl   ;-)

Well young people doing things old people do is typical hipster.  Like spinning your own yarn:

Ok.  I know this post is old, but this is awesome.  This is my side business!
[/quote]

aclarridge

« Reply #2545 on: May 08, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »

Do you wear a suit to work?

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2546 on: May 08, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »
Now retired, so no suits.  Wore suits that had to be dry cleaned when I worked in DC and well before MMM days.  After that I moved to things that could be washed.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2547 on: May 08, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
Every once in a while, usually when I'm watching Mad Men or something, I think it would be awesome to have a job where I wear a suit every day. I look pretty dapper in one, if I do say so myself.

Then I remember how much I hated wearing a jacket and tie in high school and realize that I would quit almost immediately.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #2548 on: May 08, 2014, 08:45:39 PM »
All my uniforms are provided at no cost and are replaced as necessary.  My class A uniform is basically a suit and I typically have it dry cleaned once a year.  I also have a couple regular suits and other nice clothes that I periodically have dry cleaned.  This isn't something I mind outsourcing because the end result looks much better than when I do it.

Every once in a while, usually when I'm watching Mad Men or something, I think it would be awesome to have a job where I wear a suit every day. I look pretty dapper in one, if I do say so myself.

+1  My show is actually called "Suits" and while I watch, I imagine being all suave and debonair wearing a suit every day.

Maybe he just doesn't want to leave money sitting in checking all month (or two weeks) to pay that bill at the end of the month? I don't put anything on auto because I like the sense of control and have never forgotten; granted, I only have 4 payments to make.

I don't have any of my checking account bills on auto as I also enjoy the control.  I do, however, have several bills that can be charged to a credit card with no surcharge.  These automatically go to my 1.5% card and then it's aggregated into one place that I pay at the end of the month.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2549 on: May 09, 2014, 07:01:29 AM »
I enjoy wearing suits. I love the look and fit.

Mondays - I wear jeans and a button up for work
Rest of the week, it's pajamas or jeans and a t shirt.

I don't like being obligated to wear a suit, but I love to wear them outside of the workplace.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!